Poll: 41% of Dems think president should have power to kill suspected American terrorist on American soil

posted at 8:01 pm on March 4, 2013 by Allahpundit

“On his own.” To be clear, they think he should have the power to do this “on his own.” This is what years of screeching during the Bush era about “the unitary executive” has come to.

I feel like I should issue a correction here. Back when Rand Paul was stumping against John Brennan on grounds that he wouldn’t give a straight answer about whether the White House can order a U.S. citizen killed on U.S. soil, I argued that Brennan’s silence wasn’t a big deal because the public simply wouldn’t stand for drone attacks here and O would surely realize that. Correction: A big chunk of the public, nearly a majority, would stand for it just fine.

us1

In an era of fierce bipartisan disagreement, those numbers are amazingly consistent. According to the DOJ’s “white paper” on targeting U.S. citizens, drone attacks are permissible only if capturing the target isn’t “feasible.” I’d argue that if you’re on U.S. soil, you’re within reach of American law enforcement and therefore, by definition, capture is feasible. (The DOJ and The One himself have been conspicuously quiet about that.) Judging from these numbers, though, a huge chunk of the public is a lot more lax about defining feasibility than I’d be. Serious question: Do the people who answered “yes” here think capturing Chris Dorner was “infeasible” because he was holed up in a cabin with a gun? Or have they dispensed with infeasibility as a requirement entirely and are drawing the line on domestic drone strikes simply at whether the target is suspected of being a member of Al Qaeda?

But wait. Let’s refine that last question a bit. What if, instead of asking if the United States should be able to target U.S. citizens here at home — which implies multiple agencies looking at the evidence and coordinating on a strike — we specify that the decision’s coming from the president exclusively? Suddenly, the numbers aren’t so consistent:

us2

Behold the power of partisanship, and ask yourself what those numbers would have looked like if they had tweaked the question to name Obama. Some liberals have admitted that they’re okay with O’s drone program because they trust him personally to administer it judiciously. Rephrase this question so that it’s about him specifically and maybe you get to 50 percent among Dems.

By the way, in the most common drone-strike scenario — a suspected terrorist being targeted on foreign soil with no issue related to citizenship — fully 74 percent approve of the policy including 69 percent of self-identified liberals. Looks like Pelosi was right. For all the media heavy-breathing about drone warfare, it does seem to be popular.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

RIP dems.

Electrongod on March 4, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Someone please define the term ” terrorist” ,
as being used in the current context by Hussein

burrata on March 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Speaking of polls… Haven’t seen any press about Obama’s Gallup hitting 46/46 today: http://www.gallup.com/poll/113980/Gallup-Daily-Obama-Job-Approval.aspx

brewcrew67 on March 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Ask yourself what those numbers would have looked like if they had tweaked the question to name Bush.

besser tot als rot on March 4, 2013 at 8:07 PM

“41%” ? Huh, odd, that’s about the per engage of Dems that I think ought to be …

M240H on March 4, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Someone please define the term ” terrorist” ,
as being used in the current context by Hussein

burrata on March 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Do you wear shoes?
Then you just may be a terrorist.

Do you own a gun?
Then you just may be a terrorist.

Do you dislike Obama?
Then you just may be a terrorist.

Electrongod on March 4, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Is the Enemies List..
A Terrorist List?

Electrongod on March 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Someone please define the term ” terrorist” ,
as being used in the current context by Hussein

burrata on March 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Whatever Obama wants – irrespective of due process. You’d think we could at least get some due process before labeling a US citizen as a terrorist. Maybe a trial in absentia if the party is unavailable? But no, that’s just crazy talk.

besser tot als rot on March 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM

41% of Democrats should be told that their name is at the very top of Obama’s list list and see if they still think Obama should have the power to kill suspected American terrorist on American soil. Or, for that matter, that their name is at the top of President Sarah Palin’s kill list. Funny how being on the receiving end of their own “Do Gooder” policies has a way of clearing those “Do Gooders” minds of the cobwebs that infest them.

SWalker on March 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Did they ask the question if a Republican were president?

ojfltx on March 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Somehow ” per engage” = percentag

M240H on March 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM

… provided it’s a Republican or Tea Party person, of course.

Said Dems would also be 100% against this power continuing over to a Republican president when that happens again.

LOL, I cracked myself up a bit on that last part, sorry. As if that’ll ever happen again.

Midas on March 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Fabulous. In 2016, let’s elect a Republican president who suspects 41% of Dems of being terrorists… Give them EXACTLY what they’re asking for.

That’s super bi-partisan, giving people from both parties what they want at the same time!

CapnObvious on March 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM

No. Most of them were the ones pleading with the police not to kill him and to “give him more time.”

Personally, I think this result is driven almost entirely by partisanship. If you will recall, that kook, Krystal Ball, on MSNBC said recently that she was fine with Obama killing Americans because, well, he was Obama. If it were Bush, she said, it would be an entirely different story.

You see, Allah, it is really, really kewl to be killed by the first black President. /

Resist We Much on March 4, 2013 at 8:14 PM

p-e-r-c-e-n-t-a-g-e. dang

M240H on March 4, 2013 at 8:14 PM

The Fascists are in power…

d1carter on March 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

… but only if the president is a Democrat otherwise the dewiest of due process is required.

ExpressoBold on March 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I’m sure more say its ok to kill their children too.

TX-96 on March 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

But wait – AP hasn’t told us whether this poll is dubious or not! What are we to believe??!?!1/?

Midas on March 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Let’s divide the country in two…and let the Progressives blow up their own, sort of like the gangster world…and when they run out of money, we will ship them sling shots…

hillsoftx on March 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I’m sure they are already submitting their very lengthy lists to Herr Obama, Drone Master.

VorDaj on March 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Because I can kill whomever I want whenever I want, I will, and whenever the whim strikes me and none of you are man enough to stop me. Nah, nah, nah. I won! I won! I won! Now bow before me or I will smite you too. I know your name and your address or can find out pretty quickly from one of my faithful servants, uniformed or nonuniformed. And remember even if my drones miss somehow, I’ve still got all those hundreds of millions of hollow points distributed out among my faithful at numerous of my faithful agencies. Maybe if you knell before me and kiss my hand or my feet or my you know what, someday I will have a low ranking staff member cobble something together where I grant myself official authority to kill whomever I want whenever I want and for whatever reason I want and put it out on the internet for all you peons to fawn over like I have trained you to do. Or maybe I won’t. It all depends on my mood and how I did on the golf course. – Pharaoh and Supreme Ruler, Obama Zod

VorDaj on March 4, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Water boarding known terrorist, bad

Murdering suspected terrorist, good.

SparkPlug on March 4, 2013 at 8:19 PM

47% of Republicans say drone away on SUSPECTS. SUSPECTS…

You wonder why I worry…

astonerii on March 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Electrongod on March 4, 2013 at 8:07 PM
besser tot als rot on March 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I wonder if Idi Hussein will vaporize Nidal Hassan ;-)

burrata on March 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM

100% of Dems think president obama should have power to kill any American who opposes him American soil.

Pork-Chop on March 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Water boarding known foreign terrorist, bad

Murdering suspected United States of America citizen terrorist, good.

SparkPlug on March 4, 2013 at 8:19 PM

astonerii on March 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Behold the power of partisanship, and ask yourself what those numbers would have looked like if they had tweaked the question to name Obama Bush.

That would have been more revealing.

The Rogue Tomato on March 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM

… who opposes him ON

Pork-Chop on March 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Do Republicans and Conservatives support this if it’s Bush in the White House?

Hope not. Should be a solid no regardless. Unbelievable.

MikeknaJ on March 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Suspected?

Fallon on March 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM

… provided it’s a Republican or Tea Party person, of course.
Midas on March 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Those are the only people they’re okay with calling “terrorists.” The actual terrorists are now called “freedom fighters” or “man-caused-disaster causers” or something like that.

Scary.

41%. That’s a whole lotta crazy/foolish for one party. I’m actually surprised the Dem agenda isn’t more extreme than it is.

butterflies and puppies on March 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Someone please define the term ” terrorist” ,
as being used in the current context by Hussein

burrata on March 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Terrorist“- someone who opposes Obama’s spread the wealth agenda.

profitsbeard on March 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Do Republicans and Conservatives support this if it’s Bush in the White House?

Hope not. Should be a solid no regardless. Unbelievable.

MikeknaJ on March 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Read the first poll question he quoted. Yes they do/would.

astonerii on March 4, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Suspected?

Fallon on March 4, 2013 at 8:31 PM

You are caught up in details..

Suspected means that Obama will actually stay in the Situation Room instead of going AWAL.

Electrongod on March 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM

It’s 41% because the libs all think republicans will be the targets. But since highly populated areas are overwhelmingly liberal enclaves, the majority of collateral damage will always be those same idiot libs.

The law of unintended consequences.

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I think 41% of Democrats are so dumb they not should left alone in a room where there are a pair of scissors.

avagreen on March 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Didn’t Jan call us right wing terrorists, uh, terrorists a couple of years ago? Military too.
*Turns an eye to the sky*

RovesChins on March 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM

CapnObvious on March 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Unemployment line = target rich enviroment

VegasRick on March 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM

brewcrew67 on March 4, 2013 at 8:06 PM

The media’s objective was to improve Barack Obama’s approval rating enough for a three week period befinning in mid-October to get him re-elected. They were extremely successful. His approval rating today is a moot point.

bw222 on March 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I don’t think Dorner is what most people think of when they consider the word ‘terrorist’. He was a criminal, and a terrorist would be those who flew a plane into the Twin Towers.

Should the US president be able to order a shoot-down of such a suspected terrorist flying a plane?

sharrukin on March 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Make that a Democrat President. A Republican President? Well then, he would be a Nazi.

Hummer53 on March 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM

avagreen on March 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM

To some..
Scissors are your only line of defense..

Electrongod on March 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Obama should be able to launch a drone strike on any “enemy” of the state,anyplace anytime! He get’s to define who an enemy is. One day it could be Romney, or Heck even Michelle if she burns dinner.

Kjeil on March 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Good grief, a higher percentage of Dems disapprove than Repubs. Not a good sign.

Cindy Munford on March 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM

To some..
Scissors are your only line of defense..

Electrongod on March 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Well, rape victims could just tell the rapist that they are menstuating or throw up on them or poop their pants.

VegasRick on March 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Kjeil on March 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Seriously? No checks or balances, not due process?

Cindy Munford on March 4, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Cindy Munford on March 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Read it again, closer this time. The first one was does the United States.

Kjeil on March 4, 2013 at 8:44 PM

47% of Republicans say drone away on SUSPECTS. SUSPECTS…

You wonder why I worry…

astonerii on March 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM

That was the first number I noticed.

I find it more disturbing than the one the headline is about.

Jvette on March 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Seriously? No checks or balances, not due process?

Cindy Munford on March 4, 2013 at 8:44 PM

He is the Lord, Omnipotent Obama. What you think he makes mistakes?

Kjeil on March 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Kjeil on March 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM

But the question wasn’t specific to Obama and the more Republicans agreed with it than Dems. That isn’t just infatuation with The Won? That’s full blown confidence in our government. Have you seen anything that gives you full blown confidence in our government?

Cindy Munford on March 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Overheard a generation hence…

“Damn, what the **** did they feed the Tree of Liberty in the Second Obama Administration, anyway? Damned thing grew like a bastard all of a sudden.”

turfmann on March 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Cindy Munford on March 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Only on the first question. Put it into one person’s discretion and the story changes. Republicans tend to trust institutions more.

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM

He is the Lord, Omnipotent Obama. What you think he makes mistakes?

Kjeil on March 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I wonder what will Hussein do if terrorists blame youtube videos for their terrorism ?
Will Hussein still fry them ?

burrata on March 4, 2013 at 8:51 PM

That was the first number I noticed.

I find it more disturbing than the one the headline is about.

Jvette on March 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM

After reading the posts here from the supposed “conservatives” I went looking for it.

astonerii on March 4, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Not surprising. Bet if you asked that same 41%, they’d also have no problem with Barry throwing every conservative into a concentration camp.

GarandFan on March 4, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I read recently that a tomahawk missile requires 500 ounces of silver for its circuits.

I am sure a hellfire also requires a proprtional amount.

See, Bernanke really is making us safer \

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 8:54 PM

American soil in time of peace is a different argument than overseas in time of war, declared or not.

As always, it comes down to trust. Do we trust the Federal government to amass reliable evidence against a Citizen abroad who is actively working with a belligerent group against the United States? Probably not.

On American soil, it’s still a sticky matter. Traditionally, terrorists have been sought by law enforcement agencies rather than the military. So then it would seem to come down to a Posse Comitatus argument within our borders, but the Federal government has the authority to use military force within our borders even according to that act should they so desire.

But, seeing what Dohrn and Ayers got away with, I don’t get why anyone would worry about it./s..sort of.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I went back and read the entire poll. Still a bit creeped out by the whole thing.

Cindy Munford on March 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Cindy Munford on March 4, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I agree. It’s terrifying how many Americans have become sheep.

Homeschooling.

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM

But hey, good reason to justify the expense of a Barrett

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Yes, I think our potential downfall. We believe in law and order so much, we have trouble resisting authorities even when they’re acting un-Constitutionally. When others tell of their abridgements of their Liberties by authorities, we tend say, “That’s outrageous!” but deep down think, “Well, you’re probably guilty of something…”.

In short, we bit$h but do nothing. I don’t know what’s keeping the Marxists from just taking over tomorrow. We’ll do nothing.

Somehow we on the right have absorbed the facet of Central European thinking where someone in uniform simply has to be right (like The Captain of Köpenick). Only hippies and Commies ever resent authority and speak out. But, now it would seem that the hippies and Commies are running the show because they weren’t afraid to speak out and seized the reins of power.

Yep, we’ll just wait for the pendulum to swing back. That’s our strategy.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Yet I bet they still oppose the death penalty for a convicted felon.

redshirt on March 4, 2013 at 9:09 PM

avagreen on March 4, 2013 at 8:35 PM

To some..
Scissors are your only line of defense..

Electrongod on March 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Running. Scissors.
ಠ_ಠ

avagreen on March 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I think we are losing a lot of valuable info from the video game war we seem to be waging now. I wonder what these folks think of waterboarding. I bet they are against it in huge numbers.

Cindy Munford on March 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Yep, we’ll just wait for the pendulum to swing back. That’s our strategy.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Is that going to happen in my lifetime?

Cindy Munford on March 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Terrifying. What happened to due process? What happened to America? Do we really value our safety so much that we would give up essential freedom? What do we do now?

therambler on March 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Any count above the mentally ill is way to many. That is really spooky.

CW20 on March 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Yep, we’ll just wait for the pendulum to swing back. That’s our strategy.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Mostly agree with a few conditions.

Yes we were all raised to have faith in our institutions. But that is changing. After all “they’re our jets now” should have jolted everybody a long time ago.

As far as doing nothing…been to a Cabela’s lately. Sure it may be paper tiger now, but preserving the ability to resist is what’s most important. When things get really bad (I hope they never do) people will have to make a choice. Seems like, from the empty shelves, they will be able to.

I actually think the pendulum is already swinging back, or at least at maximumm excursion. We’ll have to see if O’bozo can scare people about the sequester. I think they are way overplaying their hand.

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I agree. It’s terrifying how many Americans have become sheep.

Homeschooling.

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Yeah, that’ll solve everything. The Libtards will homeschool their kids, too, and guess what…they’ll still run the show generations from now.

If your kids can really be brainwashed by the public school system, and your kids don’t give a damn what you the parent believes, then there’s something seriously wrong, and it’s not with the schools.

It’s sad to see that poor parenting, lack of values, and the pervasive laziness and constant seeking of easy gain and pleasure in our society can be blamed elsewhere. It’s always easier to say “the Devil made me do it” than to take responsibility for our own actions-or lack thereof.

If your kid can’t pick up a book, read it, and think for themselves, then the problem is at home.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I just posted this in a headline thread but it seems appropriate here.

As long as there is studious ignorance about the nature of Islam they are all useless idiots.

I realize that Islamism is a form of totalitarianism, which I oppose just like I oppose other forms of totalitarianism including communism and fascism, but neocons have also made themselves enemies of freedom and liberty with their ongoing support of the “Patriot” Act, (even now that our government appears allied with Al Qaeda in Libya and Syria, not to mention Pakistan), the unconstitutional provisions of the NDAA that violate due process rights guaranteed in the Constitution and Magna Carta, and now neocons support assassinating American citizens without due process. If conservatives move away from the neocon agenda and recommit themselves to freedom, liberty and a strong national defense, (“defense” being the key word), then together we will be more effective fighting statist ideologies like sharia, communism and neoconism here at home.

FloatingRock on March 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Which is why it’s called homeschooling.

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:27 PM

If the public schools are incompetent in teaching core subject material, then how can they be competent in brainwashing anyone? Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Because that’s what some of them are teaching instead of core subject material. I can’t imagine liberals turning their backs on government financed union approved teachers, it might require an investment of their own time or money. When the parents of Atlanta schools found out that the teachers changed their children’s answers on standardized tests, they stood up for the teachers.

Cindy Munford on March 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM

SWalker on March 4, 2013 at 8:09 PM

You again knocked it out of the park!!

You got style and grit and know what you write will have an effect on many folks!

Carry On!! :-)

Scrumpy on March 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I never said they were incompetent at teaching. They are in fact, very effective at brainwashing.

What’s the old saying..

Conservatives multiply by reproducing, liberals by universities.

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Perfect solution:

Put all 41% on the prez’s ‘hit list’ and then poll them again!

What the heck is wrong with these 41%?

They all need to be institutionalized, and PDQ!!

Scrumpy on March 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Unless the president is a Republican. Especially one name GWB.

These polls are useless.

Like it or not, any power given to the president will someday be used by one you don’t like. The only solution to this dilemma is to not give the president any power at all.

The logical extrapolation of this is to never give the government any power at all. Welcome to anarchy.

farsighted on March 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM

What we are looking at here is a COMPLETE FAILURE of the education system in the USA!

45% of the people do NOT UNDERSTAND the purpose of the US Constitution.

Clearly the vast majority of the teachers in this country have completely failed in teaching children what their country is about.

Freddy on March 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM

True, but I’m not fully getting why the big arms build up?

I don’t think that the vast majority buying up arms and ammo have more than a vague notion of why they’re doing that. Who exactly do they feel they may have to shoot? From what I’m picking up, it’s not just Conservatives wanting to be armed, either. All I can figure is that most folks fear a social breakdown, even if they won’t really admit it to others…maybe not even to themselves.

Dear Leader has made very few mistakes. The sequester debacle is only a “normal” political set-back. The guy may be playing a lot of golf and going on a lot of vacations, but I don’t think for one moment that his people aren’t feverishly working in the background to truly transform America into a Socialist state.

I’ve been convinced for years that they have pretty much every angle figured out and know what they’re doing…it just doesn’t seem that way to us.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

farsighted on March 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Bush needed the power to order a shoot-down on 911 against ‘suspected’ terrorists and you can’t deny that to Obama simply because he’s an anti-American scumbag.

sharrukin on March 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM

They once had my daughter read (for 4th grade english) a book on the American Revolution by some jackov named Avi (or perhaps Ari). Typical one word name.

The only Continental Soldier was a lieutenant who burned down civilian houses merely on suspicion of collaboration.

Do you have 8 hours a day to undo that damage.

That’s where it starts.

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

FloatingRock on March 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Please define what you mean by ‘neocon’?

Scrumpy on March 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Freddy on March 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Parents have failed their kids…

Can’t blame the schools and teachers for everything.

Scrumpy on March 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Isolate for race instead of white and non-white, and I’m guessing that the “black” part of “non-white” comes in +80%, with Asians and Hispanics bringing the number down 43% — the highest approval in the poll. Sad/funny that Fox didn’t have the nuts to split out “non-white”.

Jaibones on March 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM

True, but I’m not fully getting why the big arms build up?

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I have lots of family in those liberal enclaves. I make them visit me. Now, after 20 years of being the prepper type nut, I spend days explaining basics to them.

People out there are frightened. And they are realizing the government not only can’t do anything for them, but may actually be making it worse. The media can’t hide it anymore.

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM

What’s the old saying..

Conservatives multiply by reproducing, liberals by universities.

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM

OK, but who controls the universities? and Hollywood? and the Press? and publishing? and the Federal government? and even the Arts?

Withdrawing our future from the system is not the way to maintain balance in the system…that’s what I maintain.

If my kid gets taught by Joe Marx, then fine. My kid and I will sit down and discuss it, and I hope I could have him think things through, make sure he’s aware of historical examples of this miserable ideology, and so on.

I want my kid to have other perspective from other people. I do not want him to be an exact carbon copy of my beliefs and values.

They’re our schools, too…we shouldn’t be so quick to retreat from them. We’ve abandoned too much in this society and the Left take over as it is.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Except they never actually expected to run out of money, and they didn’t expect Europe to start to collapse in their lifetimes.

Did you read the recent article about the Spanish General threatening Coup D’Etat if Catalonia seceeds?

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM

That’s because the media has conspicuously omitted any mention of collateral damage as a result of these strikes. They’re still Hellfire missiles or some other laser-guided munition fired from the sky. The only difference is there’s no one locally piloting the airframe. Same big boom. Same damage as if it came from a Longbow or Super Cobra.

If Romney were in office, suddenly the number of women and children killed by these drone strikes would reappear on the front pages of both Times and those heretofore dovish dems -in particular- would cease to be so fond of the practice.

BKeyser on March 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Seriously? The Lefty’s need to go back to the 60′s, drop acid, and rethink their position.

Tater Salad on March 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM

My kids are all public school products. You just have to be ready to discuss and undo the misinformation.

That’s what I meant by homeschooling. Although I thing the full blown is a wonderful idea too.

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Just wait until the President considers Hot Air readers subversive terrorist to his policies.

Tater Salad on March 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I guess we should just thank the Leftist for turning off the youth in our country.

Tater Salad on March 4, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Unfounded concern, as you already stated, you couldn’t if you tried. The kids who ARE smart enough to consider opposing ideas are the ones who will be tomorrow’s leaders anyway.

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Yeah, it’s an interesting life, isn’t it…walking through a store or looking around your house and thinking, “What would I have wished I had bought when I had the chance…?”

Also, I’ve become increasingly wary of our electronic banking system (China, some Russian crook I’ve heard about) so have been converting electronic funds to cash and PM at an increasing rate. Then I hear about them talking about going “cashless”, then I have to think about PM even more…yep, lots of fun…thanks, a$$holes.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM

And why would you want to play a game that had the rules dictated by them anyway?

You can’t win like that.

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Of course it’s popular with the libs and lefties.

The alternative might be to capture them. Then what? Put them in Gitmo and interrogate them for into? Can’t do that. Put them on trial in Manhattan? That’s not too popular either.

So obviously it is best they die where they stand, along with the collaterals.

Anyone who thinks the lefties are not ruthless and blood thirsty when they deem necessary needs to read some history.

farsighted on March 4, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Just have to say that the photo of Obama you use for this article reminds me of the cover of Mad Magazine!
Obama is a black spitting image of Mad Mag Cover

Delsa on March 4, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Please define what you mean by ‘neocon’?

Scrumpy on March 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Neocons are statists, typically corporatists, who supported the unconstitutional provisions of the NDAA that allow indefinite detention of American citizens without due process, and support the so-called “Patriot” Act, even now that our own government is allied with our supposed enemy, Al Qaeda, in Libya, Syria and probably elsewhere, and who now support assassinating American citizens without due process. Some of the most notorious neocons are McCain, Rubio, Graham, Bill Kristol and other statists who support unconstitutional, un-American laws as described above. Since many neocons seem to be corporatists, they seem to be the lions share of the minority of Republicans that support amnesty for illegals.

FloatingRock on March 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM

“Smart” is a relative term. Most people are indeed “smart” I believe. There’s a tendency for the young especially to buy into pie in the sky ideologies, so they need to have someone bring them back down to earth. It’s the same with love…you know, they think they’ve met Mr. or Mrs. Right when they’re fourteen…LOL

To an intelligent person, Marx can make perfect sense…if presented in a bubble with no grounding in historical fact. But, even smart people have the tendency to embrace what they want to hear, not always the reality of what is.

WryTrvllr on March 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I’ve considered homeschooling as well. But, I do believe my child is receiving an excellent education where he is now in the local public school system. If I didn’t, I’d pull him out and make other arrangements.

My take on public education is that much of the problem is not with the teachers, but with many of the students. If they don’t want to be there, learn and cooperate, then their guardians need to be told to make other arrangements for their education. We can no longer afford the dead weight on either side of the classroom desk…we probably never should have in the first place.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM