Christie on sequester: “I don’t have the first damn idea what they’re doing down there”

posted at 7:26 pm on March 4, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

After last week’s CPAC snub, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie was back to hammering his role as an outsider-looking-in to DC’s inexcusable dysfunction at a press conference in his home state this afternoon. Via National Review:

If the federal government can’t cut one cent out of a dollar, and not bring the economy and the country to its knees, then the government is in awful shape to begin with. The fact is that you’re talking about, in this fiscal year, $42 billion in a $3.6 trillion budget. … We’ve done much harder things in New Jersey in much shorter periods of time… The worst thing about sequester in my view is that they’re not spending any time talking about entitlement spending, which is where we really need to focus on over the long haul to make a big difference in our long term fiscal health as a country. … If anybody in this room thinks they understand Washington DC, please come on up, stand behind the podium, and you give the answers, because I don’t have the first damn idea of what they’re doing down there. … Real leadership would get this fixed. Get everybody in a room, and you fix it. And you don’t let them leave until you fix it. That’s what real leadership is, not calling a meeting two hours before the thing’s going to hit to have a photo-op in the driveway of the White House.

I wouldn’t call this “blasting President Obama” so much as I would ‘strategically pointing out just how much better somebody with real leadership skills (although I can’t for the life of me think of who) might be able to handle the situation,’ but meh, the point still stands. The fact that Obama’s complaint about the entire sequester situation was that the federal government couldn’t possibly handle these types of relatively piddling cuts without disaster and that we hence need still more revenue — completely glossing over the need for entitlement reform with his total deficit-apathy — is beyond pathetic.

Comments

Obama is leading from behind..

If you call it leading..

Electrongod on March 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Beyond pathetic?

I think DingleBarry flew by pathetic roughly 3 years ago and has since circled the globe of ineptitude on cruise control.

Polish Rifle on March 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Pfft. Quiss Quispy.

/Next

Key West Reader on March 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Oh, and.. ERHMEGEHRD!

/Jeb Bush

heh

Key West Reader on March 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I think we need to have a national conversation about baseline budgeting as soon as possible.

Timin203 on March 4, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Serious talking on spending. From a guy who sucked up for “Sandy” cash. Most of which was pork. And who caved on Medicaid and obamacare.

Blue Hen on March 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Probably eating pie and taking government helicopters to their kids’ ball games.

besser tot als rot on March 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Or, passing a huge pork bill and calling it hurricane relief.

besser tot als rot on March 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I’m tired of Tubby already.

Nessuno on March 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Or, maybe looking for someones guns to grab or carbon dioxide to exchange.

besser tot als rot on March 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM

That’s okay Governor, you’re already got enough on your plate.
(maybe I should have worded that better)

listens2glenn on March 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I think we should try to play “Good Cop Bad Cop” to see how that plays… Whaddya say, Rove? Axelrod? You guys in? Awwwwwwwwww yeah.

/OFA 2014

Key West Reader on March 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Go away..

Illinidiva on March 4, 2013 at 7:47 PM

My dogs has better leadership skills than Obama. But doesn’t his swing look better?

Cindy Munford on March 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Key West Reader on March 4, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Blessings to you ! … Good to see you this evening.

listens2glenn on March 4, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Obama would work harder if Christie would caress him and they held each other more.

portlandon on March 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Christie, who can’t even seem to cut 1000 calories out of his personal budget, may have little wiggle room on this issue.

profitsbeard on March 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Cindy Munford on March 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Hide yer dog, girlie :o)

Key West Reader on March 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Real leadership

I guess Garage Sale Organizer-In-Chief would not qualify.

hillsoftx on March 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM

The saddest part is, even when we hit the wall, we’ll STILL probably continue to run this country badly. Portugal, Spain, Italy and Greece simply dumped their governments when they made even modest attempts at reducing their spending. Christie is yet another example of a politician who will cave when pressed.

Blue Hen on March 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM

“I don’t have the first damn idea what they’re doing down there … in fact, I haven’t seen my feet in over twenty years.”

Pork-Chop on March 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM

listens2glenn on March 4, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Back at you and same to you!

Key West Reader on March 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM

(although I can’t for the life of me think of who)

It sure as hell isn’t Chris Christie that’s for damned certain. Christie is just another “Do Gooder” who cannot control his natural totalitarian inclinations.

SWalker on March 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Christie could have shown us some of that leadership skills he thinks he has several months ago instead of kissing the Presidents ass, the one that got us in this mess, and demanding congress pass a big pork bill to help you in the election.

That is “leading” according to Christie….

William Eaton on March 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Shut up, you lard.

RovesChins on March 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM

That is “leading” according to Christie….

William Eaton on March 4, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Psssst: “It’s a club”.
Psssst: “Don’t tell anyone”

Key West Reader on March 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Yeah, yeah Christie, I know you are the most awesome governor with all the answers, blah, blah, blah.

DaveDief on March 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM

shut up you fat RINO!!!! after you tore into the GOP house for not signing a larded up POS bill you have nothing to add. GO AWAY!!!!

chasdal on March 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Stuff a pie in your yap-hole, fat man.

Your political career sleeps with the fishes:

sartana on March 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM

“I don’t have the first damn idea what they’re doing down there”

And I don’t have the first damn idea what Christie is doing up there lately either.

lynncgb on March 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM

“I don’t have the first damn idea what they’re doing down there”

Governor Chris Christie

And I don’t have the first damn idea what Christie is doing up there lately, either.

lynncgb on March 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM

That’s not necessarily a bad thing … unless you live in N.J.

listens2glenn on March 4, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I can’t think of who it would be either. Chris Christie is nothing more than Candy Crowley with man boobs. Not worth taking seriously.

Happy Nomad on March 4, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Alternate Headline: Fat liberal from New Jersey vindicates CPAC…again.

Jaibones on March 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Obama is leading from behind..

If you call it leading..

Electrongod on March 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I am not sure how having ones head up ones behind can ever be called leading.

Freddy on March 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Ironically Republicans were too stupid to enter the trap after a few tries and it backfired on Obama.

The sad reality is Obama is still President, and Republicans are still stupid.

By the way, Republicans are already trying to fund back what was cut in certain areas instead of keeping the heat on Obama to produce a budget. Pure ignorance.

HopeHeFails on March 4, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Christie assumes the wrong premise – Obama will never be a “leader” because he doesn’t intend to fix anything. He is about destroying the land.

Schadenfreude on March 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Evidently, there’s only 36 different ways to tell this fat toad to shut his pie hole.
Well, 37.

RovesChins on March 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Christie makes a spot-on critique of Obama, and a bitch-fest breaks out. I don’t understand why he was not invited to CPAC since he has defended muslims in the past. To understand this you need to read about Grover

can’t for the life of me think of who

Romney?

Jasper61 on March 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Christie can sit on something large and uncomfortable and spin.

He’s not getting into my good graces after 2012.

If people in NJ like him, that’s fine. But if he wins the GOP nomination in 2016, I’m voting Libertarian.

DRayRaven on March 5, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Christie knows he will never ever be able to walk back that hug with our supreme leader:

He compromised himself and knows it. He may be governor but he will never be president.

Never.

Sherman1864 on March 5, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Tell you what: Christie ought to take a gander at his “favorables” with the HA crew.

Not so much!

Sherman1864 on March 5, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Politicians are truly the lowest life form. Anyone who esteems any politician as a “leader” is an idiot.

beatcanvas on March 5, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Since the president did not want the absolute GIFT from republicans for transfer authority, which he must not have realized, a lot of us did not want him with that kind of carte blanche to begin with, then the House should start right now, sending thru Fix-its to the sequester. Single issue bills please, that we can see posted online for five days.

I will start:

Monday marked the first regular workday under sequestration, and federal agencies posted more than 400 job ads by 6 p.m.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/4/feds-keep-hiring-with-sequesters-in-place/#ixzz2Mfs5vqK7
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

First up, The House needs to pass a hiring freeze.

Make the democrats refuse common sense, one idea at a time.

Fleuries on March 5, 2013 at 9:19 AM

There are factions within the republicans, conservatives and libertarians, trying to spin the news on the stars in the republican party what ever way it works best for their candidate. Shame on you all.

Fleuries on March 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Obama is leading from behind..

If you call it leading..

Electrongod on March 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Obama’s behind is leading…his head is getting hit with the stuff you expect when the behind is spitting into the wind…and his judgement reflects the result.

landlines on March 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM