State Dept report: Yeah, we can’t really think of a good reason not to build the Keystone pipeline

posted at 8:01 pm on March 1, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

TransCanada has only been waiting for the go-ahead for the 1,700-mile Keystone XL pipeline for, oh, four or so years now, and the State Department has now several times concluded that the pipeline poses no real reason for environmental alarm — despite the vociferous protestations of its eco-critics. After having released an environmental impact review in 2011 that basically concluded that the project poses no real threats, State released another revised environmental impact review on Friday afternoon that… also basically concludes that the project poses no real threats. It very carefully avoids making any recommendations for specific action on the pipeline’s fate, but at least fails to highlight any reason why the project shouldn’t be built:

A draft State Department report concludes that building the Keystone XL pipeline would not speed up development of Canada’s oil sands, dealing a blow to environmentalists who claim Keystone would worsen climate change.

The report from the State Department does not take a firm position on whether the proposed Canada-to-Texas pipeline would be detrimental to the environment or exacerbate global warming.

But the draft also says that “approval or denial of the proposed project is unlikely to have a substantial impact on the rate of development in the oil sands, or on the amount of heavy crude oil refined in the Gulf Coast area.”

To what I’m sure the department knew would be the eco-warriors’ chagrin, the 2,000 page report confirmed what the pipeline’s proponents have been arguing: Whether the pipeline is built or not won’t have much of an impact on climate change, because Canada is still going to develop those oil sands (since China will happily buy up the supplies if we won’t allow them to filter through our own markets), and the “implementation of the proposed Project in Canada would not likely result in significant adverse environmental effects.”

The Friday-night-news-dump tactic was to little avail, however; the highly invested green lobbies have been on nonstop Keystone watch and quickly went into fits of outrageous outrage upon hearing the news, reports Politico:

The Sierra Club, one of many environmental groups hoping for a clear thumbs-down, said it was “outraged” by Friday’s outcome. …

“We’re mystified as to how the State Department can acknowledge the negative effects of the Earth’s dirtiest oil on our climate, but at the same time claim that the proposed pipeline will ‘not likely result in significant adverse environmental effects,” said Sierra Club Executive Director Michael Brune, one of dozens of activists who were arrested in an anti-Keystone protest last month after tying himself to the White House gate. “Whether this failure was willful or accidental, this report is nothing short of malpractice.” …

Greenpeace Executive Director Phil Radford warned that “letting corporations get rich off of environmental devastation will make Obama’s climate rhetoric look like the worst kind of greenwashing.”

Climate activist Bill McKibben, organizer of the mass White House sit-ins in 2011 and last month’s Keystone protests, called the report “Groundhog Day — we’re hearing the same rehashed arguments from the State [Department] about why a great threat to the climate is not a threat at all.”

Dang. If there’s one thing I just love about the green lobby, it’s that they always shy away from hyperbole and drama — they’ve really got a sense of perspective, you know?

Don’t get your hopes up, however, that we’ll be getting a final answer on the job- and economy-boosting project anytime soon; the administration is now saying we shouldn’t expect a decision until around the middle of the year. (Does anybody else remember when “we can’t wait for jobs” was a thing? Good times, those.)

Comments

The election is over now. All things are possible.

Schadenfreude on March 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Mr Long Face….

Did you check with your boss?

Electrongod on March 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Uhhh. it would create private sector jobs?

WryTrvllr on March 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM

OT

WASHINGTON — The Homeland Security Department released from its jails more than 2,000 illegal immigrants facing deportation in recent weeks due to looming budget cuts and planned to release 3,000 more during March, The Associated Press has learned.

The newly disclosed figures, cited in internal budget documents reviewed by the AP, are significantly higher than the “few hundred” illegal immigrants the Obama administration acknowledged this week had been released under the budget-savings process.

Criminal swine run the land. She is now a sewer, the laughing stock of the world, for good reasons.

Schadenfreude on March 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM

don’t worry Horse face will invent a reason since we have a right to be stupid.

gsherin on March 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM

“You didn’t build that” — Lilliputian in Chief

Schadenfreude on March 1, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Do you realize that if Mr. Kerry had gone bald in his thirties we’d never have been burdened with his presence in politics.

Mason on March 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Who’s afraid of the big bad wolf. I’m not. Obama’s become a joke. A lying machine gun with over sized magazine. Nobody with a brain and a clue takes him the least bit seriously anymore. He’s firing blanks.

Obama reminds me of a shaking Hitler moving imaginary armies around from hither to dither in his bunker withering out the final days of the war.

A truly pitiful little man punch drunk with power who now carries the moral authority of Otis in Andy, the town drunk.

RasThavas on March 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM

State must have missed the couple of dozen foaming-at-the-mouth anti anything-oil mouth-breathers that handcuffed themselves to the Whitehouse fence.

That there is enough reason to shut down every oil well in Canada.

I’m sure that State will find a way to recover.

WestTexasBirdDog on March 1, 2013 at 8:16 PM

John Kerry’s FaceBook entry:

Hi there fellow bloggers. My name is United States Senator John Forbes Kerry from the great state of Massachusetts. You can call me JFK if you want. I was born on December 11, 1943, although people tell me that I look at least 20 years younger. It’s probably my great hair and rugged good looks.

I graduated from Yale in June 1966 in the top 1% of my class. To earn extra money during the summers, I loaded trucks in a grocery warehouse and sold encyclopedias door to door. That is probably one of the reasons that I am so humble. Over my four years at Yale, I maintained a 96 grade average and received a 101 average in my senior year.

I am one of the most senior members of that grand and much loved and respected institution known as the U.S. Senate. Probably the only Senator who was even a little bit greater than me and a little more humble was my dear friend Ted Moore Kennedy. I also have a very high IQ. Very high. At least 250 on a bad day. Much higher than that creep who stole the election from me. I know that he stole it because exit polls are never ever wrong.

I am also a great war hero. I set all kinds of records for heroism when I was in Vietnam. I was grievously wounded at least three times yet continued to insist on staying in the fight when lesser men would have given up. I won the bronze star with extra V’s for extra valor and the Silver Star for defeating a whole battalion of NVA with my bare hands.
Sometimes I feel like a had to carry all the water for those other ungrateful swift-boaters.

I sometimes like to chill out after a long day of serving the American people by having a double martini with my good friend Ted, although I can’t do that now as he has stopped drinking. We used to have a servant bring 21 double martinis. I got one and Ted got one for each of his fingers and each of his toes. Contrary to what some of my very few enemies say I never marry women for just their money. They must also have a pulse. BTW, did I mention that I was in Vietnam? I was also in Cambodia, so don’t forget that!

I would like to think that I am open minded, honest, polite, heroic, trustworthy and humble. And I appreciate the same qualities in others although I am realistic enough to know that no one else could come close to me.

Turn offs: other politicians who spend more on haircuts than I do. That is just not right.

Who I’d like to meet:
…other progressive bloggers. Other great war heroes who hate that damn S-T-U-P-I-D Texan who stole the election from me by using Karl Rove’s mind control machine. Cool and handsome people, like me, who live close to Washington D.C. so that we can get together, talk about you for about 30 seconds and then spend about 9 hours talking about me. BTW, did I mention that I was in Vietnam and Cambodia? Just one more BTW, if anyone has found my magic hat please return to me and I will reward you with a 32 ounce bottle of Heinz Ketchup autographed by me.

VorDaj on March 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM

The green knickers are in a twist. Heh!

onlineanalyst on March 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM

What the hell does the State Dept have to do with a gas pipeline? They can’t even accurately translate one simple word into Russian – a language that we’ve had to eavesdrop in and translate accurately for over half a century.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I hear that Slow Joe Biden, Moochelle and the hammer and sickle wackos of the Sierra Club are loudly proclaiming that the pipeline be blocked to protect the elusive Rocky Mountain Lobster.

viking01 on March 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Not that they’re going to let a piddling little detail like that stop them from stopping it.

Besides, it’s EPA’s job to come up with the reasons excuses.

Or at least, to get the latest talking points from John Holdren, Michael Mann, the Sierra Club, AlGore, et al.

I’m sure that in the end, State will do what the deep-ecos consider “the right thing”. By hook or by crook. (Or by Executive Order, which amounts to the same thing.)

They can’t help themselves. Supporting the vacuous anti-civilization left is as much of a reflex over there as hating on Israel is.

And both make them feel so good about themselves.

clear ether

eon

eon on March 1, 2013 at 8:22 PM

“We’re mystified as to how the State Department can acknowledge the negative effects of the Earth’s dirtiest oil on our climate.”

So, Oil is dirty, hmmmm, it’s underneath our feet, just laying there. Sometimes the ground splits and oil tar comes a bubbling up out of it…now what eh?

Do these enviroweenies believe that God in His Wisdom who created this Earth for OUR use, would also have created such a dirty thing for our use?

Everything on this earth was created for us to use in the ways we see fit.

We are the stewards, we are to responsibly take care of the earth, which I believe we do to the best of our abilities.

It seems that if it has a benefit for mankind, the enviroweenies just totally hate it.

I bet not one, not a ONE of them live according to their own words and decrees. Just another bunch of HYPOCRITS!!

Just crawl back to your neolithical standard of living and leave the rest of us alone…

Scrumpy on March 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Darryl Hannah looks good in cuffs…

hillsoftx on March 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Scrumpy on March 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM

The self-hating leftists believe that stone tools lead to global warming. They want the Earth to revert back to green slime. It’s professional courtesy for the leftists.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Meh!

tommy71 on March 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM

If there is money to be made by some wealthy Democrat then it will be approved? Where is Warren Buffet vested in this situation?

PappyD61 on March 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Buffet trains for the win. Unless this is used as a squirrel. A sequester squirrel.

wolly4321 on March 1, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Scrumpy on March 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM

You are absolutely correct.

I live in the radical environmentalists home state, CA, and we just put a ban on plastic bags at our local grocery stores into effect.

So now what has happened? The number of ecoli infections has increased exponentially, putting an increasing drain on our emergency services.

Freaking morons.

ccrosby on March 1, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Yep. As we head the way of Detroit, my ward 2 city councilman has a plastic bag fetish too.

wolly4321 on March 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM

There is a risk to the America “friendly” Dune Coon Oil Tick. Canadian oil is a threat to its rich habitat.

BL@KBIRD on March 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Well, the screen shot of Jawn Cary certainly looks as if he took a (not necessarily news) dump.

onlineanalyst on March 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM

No worries. Barry will make sure that State will “investigate further”.

GarandFan on March 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

No jobs for thee….now the regime needs to find another Solyndra to pump money into….

nazo311 on March 2, 2013 at 12:08 AM

viking01 on March 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Which is almost as elusive, with our currently elected administration, as the slowly disappearing Rocky Mountain Oysters

WryTrvllr on March 2, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Canada PM Harper’s “China strategy” made the State Dept’s decision moot. One way or the other, the oil from the tar sands was going to be used, so the net impact was zero.

J_Crater on March 2, 2013 at 3:07 AM

VorDaj on March 1, 2013 at 8:17 PM

You forgot to mention all the men under his command that he singlehandedly saved because they were stupid enough to be carrying cameras in combat.

WryTrvllr on March 2, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Dear leader had a meeting last week with big oil execs. Wonder what they talked about, hmmmm? Now JFK announces the pipeline is ok. Big oil must have had to make some big give in this game of give and take to get their pipeline ok’d. Let the money flow.

Kissmygrits on March 2, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I can think of three reasons:

1. Cloward-Piven.
2. They haven’t been able to figure out how they (Dems) can profit off of it…yet.
3. The Republicans want it built.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Junk science partisan politics has always been the reason, John boy.

locomotivebreath1901 on March 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Or, he looked at Hillary’s notes about how she was going to spin it and deciced there was so much twisted thinking on her part that he just said “No way I’m going to figure this out”.

jake49 on March 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Obama now has virtually no leverage with the Keystone XL pipeline.

TransCanada has be moving forward with the bulk of the pipeline without waiting for Obama to get all his “ducks in a row.”

Meanwhile, Canadian PM Harper’s moves with China, setting up a possible alternate market for the oil sands production, has left the State Dept. with a “moot” decision. A “yes” would cause a “carbon” release in the US, while a “no” would cause a “carbon” release in China. The net result of either choice would mean only a change in where it is used.

Even now, if Obama says NO, the pipeline will be used to transport oil production from Montana and Wyoming to Texas.

There is simply no leverage for Obama to exercise.
Obama may huff and puff, but all the air is out of this balloon.

Frankly, I’m surprised Obama didn’t dispense with this before John Kerry, his new lead on Climate Change, came onboard, as it will put him in an awkward position going forward.

J_Crater on March 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM