posted at 10:41 am on March 1, 2013 by Allahpundit

This shouldn’t bother me as much as it does. Rodman’s a kook and a has-been; there’s less than zero reason to care what he thinks. It’s not so much that I “care,” though, as that I’m dumbfounded at watching any American go whole hog on North Korean propaganda. I can’t explain it. The temptation is to assume that he doesn’t know what goes on there, just because no one who does could possibly mouth the words he’s saying in the clip. But he must know, right? Even if he’s never read a word about NK, surely someone in his orbit took him aside and filled him in when he happened to mention, “Hey, I’m going to Pyongyang for some HBO thing.” The guys from VICE who are with him surely know. Or knew: Maybe that “epic feast” that Kim held for them helped them forget.

Ending his unexpected round of basketball diplomacy in North Korea on Friday, ex-NBA star Dennis Rodman called leader Kim Jong Un an “awesome guy” and said his father and grandfather were “great leaders.”…

At Pyongyang’s Sunan airport on his way to Beijing, Rodman said it was “amazing” that the North Koreans were “so honest.” He added that Kim Jong Il and Kim Il Sung, North Korea’s founder, “were great leaders.”

“He’s proud, his country likes him — not like him, love him, love him,” Rodman said of Kim Jong Un. “Guess what, I love him. The guy’s really awesome.”

Is he … just being polite to his host, as insane as that sounds? Is he practicing kindergarten diplomacy, i.e. “what all bullies really need is a hug”? Even if you strain to attribute to him some sort of muddled good intention, you run straight into the inescapable fact that he’s whitewashing crimes against humanity here. Holocaust denial is atrocious under any circumstances, but this is like denying the Holocaust after you’ve just come from lunch at the Berghof. I’m honestly surprised Kim didn’t ask him to do a little anti-American propaganda while he was there. Does this sound like a guy who would have refused a request to sit on some anti-aircraft guns north of the DMZ?

Seriously, what’s going on here? Rodman’s a kook, not a sociopath. I think.

Update: Hmmm.

Comments

Low-information voter.

John the Libertarian on March 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM

What can I do to get myself in the media spotlight again? Hmmmm…..

brewcrew67 on March 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM

He may be as good as John Kerry..? Better than Hagel..

d1carter on March 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM

“He’s cute and he’s cuddly, and he’s ready to please.”

- with apologies to Monty Python’s Flying Circus

Ward Cleaver on March 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Anyone who has heard Rodman speak about this is now stupider for having heard him.

Good Lt on March 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Testing the absolute depths of “There’s no such thing as bad publicity”…

JohnGalt23 on March 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Kim Jong-un’s “really awesome” and his people sure do seem to love him

They damned well better, or it’s a prison sentence.

Liam on March 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Is that hug followed by a big sloppy kiss?

besser tot als rot on March 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Rodman is a Kook and a willing Stooge…But I guess the going rate for a has been ex-pro selling himself is pretty cheap these days.

workingclass artist on March 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM

That “love me or die” policy always seems to work.

BDavis on March 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM

revoke citizenship now

blatantblue on March 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Anyone who is old enough to remember Rodman from his days
of playing in Detroit and Chicago also remember his publicity
seeking antics.

Why should a so called conservative blog post this nonsense?

Amjean on March 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Good Lt on March 1, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Where is the LIKE button?

Bleed_thelizard on March 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Seriously, what’s going on here? Rodman’s a kook, not a sociopath. I think.

He’s more than a kook…but short of a sociopath. Rodman certainly has “issues” betwixt the ears.

The “Kims” must have become hoops fans after Madeline Albright presented that basketball to Dear Leader to persuade the NorKs from persuing nuclear weapons.

JetBoy on March 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I can explain it. Stupid semi-celebrity has-been needs paycheck and media exposure.

farsighted on March 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Rodman…who gives a SH!T what he thinks or does?

This is news. We’re doomed.

Meople on March 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Leave Dennis alone!

Knott Buyinit on March 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM

If Kim succumbs to polonium poisoning in a few days, we’ll know the real reason behind all of this.

And if he doesn’t… well, yeah: Rodman’s nuts. But it’s a type of nuts generally shared by that side of the spectrum: http://tinyurl.com/bu3qgqb

Lickmuffin on March 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM

“More Dennis Rodman: Kim Jong-un’s “really awesome” and his people sure do seem to love him”

The sequester must be a dud for this to be a main feature on the day the flying monkeys were to be turned loose.

mwbri on March 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

mwbri on March 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

What, Air Force One has a new destination today? *ducks*

Archivarix on March 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Seriously, what’s going on here? Rodman’s a kook, not a sociopath. I think.

For Rodman, he was taught to play basketball and not much else in school. Then he gets to be famous for that, and falls in love with the limelight. No one can tell him anything besides how awesome he is. Never underestimate the power of people to put blinders on.

rbj on March 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Testing the absolute depths of “There’s no such thing as bad publicity”…

Testing? Rodman’s been defying those depths for a long time.

hawkeye54 on March 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Instead of postings about Rodman, why not post about the vote
the house is taking next week on Obamacare. The republicans
are caving and we need to call our representatives en masse.

Didn’t the republicans run on the fact that they wouldn’t fund
this?

Amjean on March 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Kim Jong-un’s “really awesome” and his people sure do seem to love him

If no love….no life. Barry’s jealous.

hawkeye54 on March 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Instead of postings about Rodman, why not post about the vote
the house is taking next week on Obamacare.

Its Friday..lighten up Francis.

hawkeye54 on March 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM

He is just THAT progressive.

Don’t judge anyone other than America (and by that I mean those who oppose Democrat Party Power).

He doesn’t judge others no matter the body count. He doesn’t overlook the tiniest propaganda about conservatives.

He is just Progressive.

GardenGnome on March 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Testing the absolute depths of “There’s no such thing as bad publicity”…

Testing? Rodman’s been defying those depths for a long time.

hawkeye54 on March 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

As far as I can tell, it has always been his MO.

farsighted on March 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I can.

fogw on March 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Is that hug followed by a big sloppy kiss?

besser tot als rot on March 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Knowing Rodman? Probably.

bigmacdaddy on March 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM

This is what happens in totalitarian societies. The serfs/plebes/unclean/slaves are out of sight, out of mind, and not really considered people in the first place. It’s easy to forget in the US, but this has been the norm for most of human history.

Fenris on March 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. – Thomas Jefferson

Maybe Jefferson didn’t mean we must overthrow our government from time to time, but that we must be reminded of the value of liberty through sacrifice. It has been a relatively peaceful world now for several decades and the fat and lazy have grown complacent and are no longer capable of seeing true evil when in its presence. Thus they embrace this evil because they have no idea what they might lose in doing so.

NotCoach on March 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Seriously, what’s going on here? Rodman’s a kook, not a sociopath. I think.

I’d like to think he’s offering the basketball-obsessed Kim a carrot here. Maybe Rodman will come back if human rights conditions improve, if Kim stops testing nukes, or if there’s progress in negotiations with the West. That might be smart of Rodman, trading a little bit of nice talk for real world change.

Problem is, I don’t think he’s smart.

calbear on March 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Aww He loves him. Put on a dress and marry him then Freak.

lakeman on March 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM

On the thread about the failure of another “Green Energy” firm, I said the Chinese weren’t “the worst people on earth”…

And now we visit North Korea.

You can also take this as a red flag on the attitude of our minority people.

Sad that they don’t see the golden opportunity of America more clearly. Or have leaders to put them in a position to succeed and feel like part of our team.

Who was elected POTUS again?

IlikedAUH2O on March 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM

“Cocaine is a hell of a drug”

Ditkaca on March 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Is that hug followed by a big sloppy kiss?

besser tot als rot on March 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Knowing Rodman? Probably.

Ah, how charming. Kim’ll never want to wash off that kiss! At least, I hope not. Maybe he’ll picu up a fatal virus.

hawkeye54 on March 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Pyongyang Dennis

theflyonthewall on March 1, 2013 at 11:23 AM

only a google search away

google

Dennis Rodman Lake Lewisville

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM

So, who’s the bigger moron here- Rodman, for well, being Rodman, or, Kim Jong Un for thinking the “Worm” is an actual American celebrity?

And Rodman’s stupidity here might be forgivable- he’s so broke he was shopping for a leopard-print protective case for his Obama-phone before this trip.

M240H on March 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM

He may have been a great b-ball player, but that’s where it ends.

sadatoni on March 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I can.

fogw on March 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM

While I’m always up for a bikini parade, I don’t see how that explains anything. Are you saying “make love, not war”?

Fenris on March 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I tried but I can’t bring myself to give a damn.

stout77 on March 1, 2013 at 11:34 AM

The Worm.

weaselyone on March 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Obama love, Kim Il love, all cut from the same cloth. Weak people think weakly.

FireBlogger on March 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM

This is like when Michael Moore went to Iraq and said people love Saddam.

jediwebdude on March 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Rodman would make a great addition to Obama’s cabinet . . . he’d fit in very nicely.

rplat on March 1, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Time for Rodman to go back to his home planet…

I must be more naive than I thought – I really didn’t think Rodman could go any FURTHER off the deep end than he already was…..

dentarthurdent on March 1, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Perhaps he was just trying to get out of Pyongyang alive? He didn’t say anything in the Chinese airport. The update seems to indicate that there is more to this story.

cptacek on March 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM

To borrow from the Soviets, Rodman is the definitive “useful idiot.”

itsnotaboutme on March 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Rodman’s not the first.

CNN founder Ted Turner was just as bedazzled & bamboozled by Commies in NK as well as in the USSR.

itsnotaboutme on March 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM

cptacek on March 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Possible. He’s still a nutcase.

Fenris on March 1, 2013 at 12:14 PM

This is like when Michael Moore went to Iraq and said people love Saddam.

jediwebdude on March 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Ya, no kiddin – stick a camera in anyone’s face and ask them what they think about the murderous dictator who runs their country.
What do THINK they’ll say?
How many people in NK do NOT know about the mortar execution ranges?

dentarthurdent on March 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM

So sez Mr Ratatatooie…

Just another washed-up haz-mat former ‘celeb’ believing any press is good press, and pinin’ away for another 15 mins of ‘fame’…

Marcola on March 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Obama’s America on display is truly an awesome thing to behold.

MNHawk on March 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Fundemental Transformation.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM

People who don’t express their undying love for Dear Leader will disappear in the middle of the night.

TarheelBen on March 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM

TarheelBen on March 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM

They disappear in broad daylight in NK.

Talon on March 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I bet rodman loves him too. Multiracial midget gay sex is the best!!!!

Seriously, just another whore paid by a dictatorial regime, this trick is so old but always works. Was 3 meters away from the genuine Kim Ir Sen almost 30 years ago, too bad I did not throw a stone into his head (or to my country dictator at that time, they were in the same car, of course would mean instant death even for a child)

Rookie on March 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM

They disappear in broad daylight in NK.

Talon on March 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Ya – stand on this spot and don’t move, and don’t look up…..

dentarthurdent on March 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Rodman has more gravitas than Kerry, that’s the scary part…

right2bright on March 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM

not like him, love him, love him,

Yes, Dennis, you are correct, everyone alive loves him…

right2bright on March 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Me love you long time…

claudius on March 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM

And to think we put Kerry in at State, when Rodman was available!

virgo on March 2, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Maybe he’ll return to NK wearing this.

Hill60 on March 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM

You bet!!! When I need thoughtful, expert guidance on foreign policy, I always seek out a deranged ex-basketball player with lots of tatoos and disgusting piercings.

/SARC>