Dangerously underfunded government investigating frisbee team for doing ‘Harlem Shake’

posted at 4:41 pm on March 1, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

The “Harlem Shake” investigation division seems like a pretty good place to start cutting during sequestration instead of air traffic controllers, but hey, what do I know?

Something aboard a Frontier Airlines flight across the Rocky Mountain West caught the attention of federal investigators last week. Perhaps it was the passengers banging on the ceiling, walls and floor of the cabin, or maybe how most of the passengers were out of their seats, jumping up and down.

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating a group of Colorado College students and a Frontier flight crew for a video that was shot in the air during Flight 157 of a Airbus A320 on Feb. 15, an airline spokesperson and federal officials confirmed this week.

The students, who were traveling from Colorado Springs to San Diego on the way to an ultimate frisbee tournament, filmed a version of the “Harlem Shake,” a YouTube meme that has gone viral in the past few months. While no charges or sanctions have been filed against the airline or the students, the FAA is continuing their investigation into the flight and working to uncover if any regulations were violated.

“They are still looking into it, it’s still open,” Tony Molinero, a spokesman for the FAA said this week. “…I don’t know where the [investigators] were told about it, but when they saw the video they just decided to look into it because it is better to be safe than sorry.”

Sure, better to be safe than sorry, unless Republicans in Congress give Obama the opportunity to exercise some flexibility on sequestration cuts, in which case, decry that plan as “even worse arbitrary cuts,” instead of taking the initiative and cutting things like the Special Meme Investigation Unit.

The ultimate frisbee team in question, here, says it had permission from flight attendants to perform this stunt, and as long as it didn’t take place during take-off or landing, they’re on solid ground, so to speak. But I’m glad we’re looking into it.

“All safety measures were followed and the seat belt sign was off,” said Kate O’Malley, a spokeswoman for Frontier.

Good for Frontier. I already liked that airline thanks to the chocolate chip cookies and the cute animal mascots on the tail, but points awarded for sticking it to the man with this momentary indulgence of passenger cut-uppery. Aviation experts seem to think the investigation will come up dry, and let’s hope so. I just wonder how much it’s costing us.

Below, the Frontier flight performs the “Harlem Shake.”

For those of you who don’t know, the Harlem Shake is a viral video craze that basically amounts to one (usually helmeted) person dancing for about 15 seconds to a dance music track called the “Harlem Shake,” surrounded by several people who seemingly don’t notice his dancing. Fifteen seconds into the track, a jump cut reveals the same disinterested bystanders dancing enthusiastically, in various states of undress or costume. Here’s the original, and a sampling of the thousands of “Harlem Shakes” the Internet has brought us.

There are plenty of workplace examples here for the Meme Investigation Unit over at the Labor Department.

Comments

I hate the Harlem Shake.

rbj on March 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I still don’t know what this damn Harlem Shake is. And I want to keep it that way.

Mark1971 on March 1, 2013 at 4:46 PM

This is one of the better Harlem shakes I’ve seen.

portlandon on March 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

The dick should’ve been smacked into the next Monday.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

No. That is not the original.

The real original was the video that video (your link) was responding to.

ButterflyDragon on March 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM

And what will this investigation reveal?

Somebody played Frisbee on a plane?

Thats a crime? Who knew?

BobMbx on March 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I love that the whole Plane was up dancing. Even the Gray hairs.

I love this about America.

portlandon on March 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM

They kept the cookies from when they absorbed Midwest Airlines? I didn’t know that.

Of course, the fact that they abandoned Milwaukee would seem to ensure that I didn’t know that.

Steve Eggleston on March 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I’m glad YouTube wasn’t around during the Macarena craze.

Mark1971 on March 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM

This is one of the better Harlem shakes I’ve seen.

portlandon on March 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

The best Harlem Shake is the one by real dancers from Harlem doing the real Harlem Shake.

ButterflyDragon on March 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM

When I was in college, dicks like this self-segregated themselves into the only all Greek bar on the Strip.

Worked for them, worked for us.

Dick.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Er, they deep-sixed the cookies when they deep-sixed the Milwaukee hub.

Steve Eggleston on March 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM

The real Harlem Shake would be a bunch of junkies tweeking.

Blake on March 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM

THE best Harlems Shuffle was at Sea World.

Can you honestly watch this one and not smile?

portlandon on March 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Air travels sux to begin with…it’s become a school bus in the sky….now this…kill me now.

Buck_Nekkid on March 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I love that the whole Plane was up dancing. Even the Gray hairs.
I love this about America. portlandon on March 1, 2013 at 4:52 PM

x2. I was sympathizing with the passengers until I saw that they got into it also. Even geezers like me.

Can you imagine that happening on Iran Air?

Dingbat63 on March 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I should clarify my last post – almost to a girl, the Sorority gals that I met were very cool.

My post refers to the boys of Delta Iota Chi Kappa Sigma.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM

My post refers to the boys of Delta Iota Chi Kappa Sigma.

OhEssYouCowboys on March 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I wasn’t allowed to pledge at most popular frat on campus…Aye Tappa Keg.

BobMbx on March 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I wasn’t allowed to pledge at most popular frat on campus…Aye Tappa Keg.

BobMbx on March 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM

When I was at oSu, from ’76 to ’80, we waded in beer, up to our ankles. But, the only thing that I did, harder than drink beer, was study.

If you didn’t drink beer to excess, you were put on academic probation.

;O)

OhEssYouCowboys on March 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I wasn’t allowed to pledge at most popular frat on campus…Aye Tappa Keg.

BobMbx on March 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM

You should have pledged mine: Chugga Kegga Bru

WhatSlushfund on March 1, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Some of you are starting to sound like hipsters: “I hate it cause its popular, fun and everyone else enjoys it”

And yes, there was an original dance move called Harlem Shake…but this craze is named after the song title. They don’t need to be compared or called out.

It’s Friday people! Haha, happy hour somewhere right? Enjoy the weekend everyone…

nextgen_repub on March 1, 2013 at 5:27 PM

We’re doomed, doomed I tell you!

Good grief!

OldEnglish on March 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Snakes on a plane – no problem let Sam handle it and then ignore it
Harlem Shake on a plane – OMG! Break out the SWAT team and lawyers. Go wake up the Judges, and scramble people, there’s fun to indict.

LincolntheHun on March 1, 2013 at 5:29 PM

this wouldn’t even get noticed on the train. Amtrac recieves billions in subsidies so that college kids can go to other towns to party.

halfbaked on March 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I’m sorry, but I LOVE these Harlem Shake videos!

Here are two of my favorites:

Florida Gators cheerleaders

and

Lego Avengers

Kensington on March 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM

America was more fun back before everything became illegal.

Hayabusa on March 1, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Apparently the Harlem lyrics “con los terroristas” translate to “with the terrorists”? WTF? I don’t get it. Are they still bashing Bush for the ‘with us or against us’ or… what? Probably 90% of those kids are pro-Oama. The world has gone crazy and the culture may be too far gone to be redeemable.

OK! I need a drink. Happy weekend everyone.

sauldalinsky on March 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM

sauldalinsky on March 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM

No. It’s all about dancing. And they’re “terrorizing” the dance floor. In other words, they’re with the “dancers”.

ButterflyDragon on March 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Priorities, folks, priorities.

Ward Cleaver on March 1, 2013 at 5:47 PM

ButterflyDragon on March 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Ok, thanks. I’d still be pretty leery to hear ‘with the terrorists’ on a plane, but if everyone’s cool with it, who am I to object.

I wish we could we have viral hits where the subliminal messages are conservative.

sauldalinsky on March 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Will this flame out quicker than Gangnam style?

FOWG1 on March 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I don’t know what the harlem shake is.

I wonder if the quality of my life experience has suffered.

Solaratov on March 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I say they start by prosecuting the little kid presented on the right, just at the end.

He looks like a right-wing, islamophobic, homophobic, white seperatist, dangerous tea-bagger that is worthy of The Wrath of Holder.

/sarc

Shaughnessy on March 1, 2013 at 6:05 PM

When Internet memes collide … inevitable: Harlem Shake Rambo The Cat Edition (Original)

jix on March 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Seriously. The Harlem Shake stuff is fun. I have 4 kids in college (all conservatives by the way) and this is just fun. Some are very creative-some enterprising person should make a conservative themed Shake! Nextgen is right….go have a drink! Enjoy life!!!!

hoosierma on March 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Hey OhEssYouCowboys, here’s a Harlem Shake video you just might appreciate. :)

Dr. Conservative on March 1, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Students at my high school were planning on making one of these videos. They showed me one of the videos and I told them that they’re saying ‘with the terrorists’ and maybe it wasn’t a good idea.

Another sign that the world has passed me by.

murty on March 1, 2013 at 6:42 PM

If you want a good 15 seconds of entertainment, go to YouTube and search for “Do the Harlem Shake”

JadeNYU on March 1, 2013 at 7:20 PM

at this point anyone doing this nonsense should be prosecuted regardless of where they are.

sesquipedalian on March 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Yeah, well, my tolerance for good-natured chaos drops to nil at 30,000 feet. If they sick the FAA on them it’s fine with me.

Chuckles3 on March 1, 2013 at 7:46 PM

JadeNYU on March 1, 2013 at 7:20 PM

THAT! WAS! AMAZING! :) :) :)

Kensington on March 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM

We can’t allow these kids to dance! You know what dancing leads to!

MJBrutus on March 2, 2013 at 5:42 AM

We can’t allow these kids to dance! You know what dancing leads to!

MJBrutus on March 2, 2013 at 5:42 AM

Especially at the Lincoln Memorial.

Damn “swing kids”…need to be locked up I tellya.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM