Videos: The final day of a retiring Pope

posted at 5:51 pm on February 28, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Pontiffs don’t have exit interviews, since most of them don’t retire or resign. Today, though, the cardinals gathered for one last audience with Pope Benedict XVI, his last official meeting as head of the Roman Catholic Church. The affection for the outgoing Pope is evident, even as the cardinals must already be considering whom to select as his replacement (via Deacon Greg and Ta Deum):

In his address, now-Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI pledged obedience to his successor, in a move intended to quell concerns that any public statements would create confusion during the tenure of the next Pontiff:

In remarks Thursday to the cardinals, broadcast on Vatican television, the pope pledged to show “unconditional reverence and obedience” to the next pope. The vow could lay to rest fears that the presence of a living, retired pope in the Vatican would reduce the power of the next elected head of the Roman Catholic Church.

Thursday is set to be a quiet day for the pontiff. After bidding farewell to the cardinals, his helicopter ride to Castel Gandolfo will give him one last aerial view of the Vatican while he is still in charge of it.

Pope Benedict’s resignation officially goes into effect at 8 p.m. local time. At that hour, the doors of Castel Gandolfo will close and the Swiss Guards charged with guarding the reigning pope will go off duty.

I doubt that anyone in the Vatican had real fears that the Pope Emeritus wanted to interfere with his successor. Benedict XVI wants to let go of those concerns; if he wanted to retain control, he would never have broached the idea of retirement.

After saying his goodbyes, the Pope Emeritus left the Vatican, on his way to board a helicopter for the short ride to Castel Gandolfo:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Via Twitchy, Benedict XVI and a few colleagues board the helicopter:

CNN correspondent and National Catholic Reporter analyst John Allen explains what happens next:

Meanwhile, perhaps this is a good moment for some self-reflection on the part of American media outlets, too. Media Research Center has tracked the coverage of Benedict XVI’s retirement, and they’re underwhelmed by the result, especially from major broadcast media:

A frail, ailing 85-year-old man announces he doesn’t have the strength to continue as the spiritual leader of 1.2 billion people. With the humility of one whose entire life has been in service to God and his Church, he says he will retire to quietly live out his remaining years.

ABC, CBS and NBC have never been fans of Pope Benedict XVI. They saw the former Cardinal Ratzinger as a “hard-liner” for “strenuously condemning divorce, homosexuality, and abortion,” as ABC’s Dan Harris put it in 2008. But the broadcast networks’ coverage of Benedict and the Catholic Church in the weeks since he announced his retirement has been bizarre – relentless negativity punctuated by often inappropriate humor and personal attacks.

From Benedict’s Feb. 11 resignation through the evening of Feb. 27, the day before it took effect, the networks referred to the Catholic Church as a troubled institution 122 times and aired the word “scandal” 87 times in 112 reports. Anchors and reporters suggested that the Church must modernize (32 times) and pressed for change in issues regarding women (7 times) and gays (13 times). At times, they trivialized the first resignation of a Pope since the 1500s as “worthy of a Dan Brown novel.”(ABC’s Harris again.) and sensationalized it by entertaining theories about other reasons Benedict might be stepping down.

The night before the Pope’s resignation took effect, ABC anchor George Stephanopoulos said he was “known as God’s Rottweiler.”

Actually, I’m not sure that’s objectionable.  That nickname has been pretty widely known for quite a long time, and I don’t believe that Benedict XVI would be entirely displeased with it.  However, on the rest of MRC’s criticism of the coverage, they’re spot on.  Instead of taking the time to understand the role of the Pontiff and the actual doctrine of the Catholic Church, the media has treated this like a secular succession where all the rules can be rewritten to suit the fashions and tastes of the day.  That misses the point in a very large way.

Let’s hope the coverage improves during the conclave.

Update: I’ll be on the Hugh Hewitt show at 7:30 ET to talk to guest host Guy Benson to discuss this — and to make a pretty cool announcement. Be sure to tune in!

Comments

Castel Gandolfo is only about 15 miles away. He’ll stay there until his new digs are ready for him. He looks happy. I would be, too.

Blake on February 28, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Splashman on February 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM

[yawn]

Splashman on February 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM

The pro homosexual media loathes those that disagree.

And the Church has provided them plenty of ammo over the recent years.

PappyD61 on February 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM

In a world gone wild over pot smoking, same sex buggery and legalized infanticide I used to look up to the Catholic Church as the one bastion of sanity in a world, otherwise, gone completely mad. But now many priests are heavily involved in child molestation (almost always homosexual), the Catholic electorate in America voted (AGAIN) for Obama–the biggest child killer advocate America ever had and only about 10% of Italians (the mother country of Catholicism kinda-sorta)go to Church. I think the Pope quit, in part, because of a broken heart.

MaiDee on February 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM

But ironically the same media gets on their knees for the American Pope.

PappyD61 on February 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Good riddance to yet another enabler of child rape.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM

When the smoke is white, there is a new Pope. When it’s black, they’re still burning the files.

stingray9813 on February 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Oh, put a sock in it, catholic haters. You’re immature whining has gotten old.

Blake on February 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM

MaiDee on February 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Outside of the Vatican, the only people in Europe who still take their faith seriously seem to be the radical Muslims. And their many, many children.

JimLennon on February 28, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Oh, put a sock in it, catholic haters. You’re immature whining has gotten old.

Blake on February 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM

It has nothing to go with hating Catholics. I hate what happened to my church. When you watch parishes in your neighborhood close because the Archdiocese had to pay out millions upon millions of dollars to victims of child rape, and when you watch the priests whom you trusted…priests who baptized your children, presided over funerals of loved ones and married friends admit to molesting children, you hate the men and women who facilitated it. There’s a big difference.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Actually, I’m not sure that’s objectionable. That nickname has been pretty widely known for quite a long time, and I don’t believe that Benedict XVI would be entirely displeased with it.

Rottweilers are both fierce and loyal. The Pope should be nothing less when it comes to his devotion to God and the church.

Stoic Patriot on February 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Oh, put a sock in it, catholic haters. You’re immature whining has gotten old.

Blake on February 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Agreed.

Old and worn out and pathetic.

Have at it anyway.

The Church has always endured because she is the Bride of Christ and she certainly won’t be done in by the puny little jabs from the likes of them.

As for Pope Benedict, thank you.

Jvette on February 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Good riddance to yet another enabler of child rape.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM

The Secretary of Education retired??

joejm65 on February 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM

SnarkVader on February 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Learn some freakin’ self control. This thread is about the pope’s last day. You want to whine about how you perceive the church has wronged you, go find another thread/blog. People are sick of hearing about it.

Blake on February 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Blake on February 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM

And the Pope is part of the problem.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM

If you’re concerned about the security of your kids in a church setting then go to a place that ASKS if the person has ever been involved in homosexual behavior, and one that runs background checks, and doesn’t allow men to take kids to the bathroom, and doesn’t allow either sex to be alone with the kids.

Trust no one, check everyone.

PappyD61 on February 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM

And the Pope is part of the problem.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM

As of 2:01 pm EST today, there is no more pope.

Only God knows who the next one should be. I pray that the cardinals in the conclave are sharp enough to figure it out.

JimLennon on February 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I don’t think we will see him again…and that makes me sad.

He has been a remarkable Pope and I will miss him.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM

And the Pope is part of the problem.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM

So, beyond what you have written in this thread, did you leave the Catholic Church?

DaveDief on February 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM

When does the conclave start?

gophergirl on February 28, 2013 at 6:59 PM

When does the conclave start?

gophergirl on February 28, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Cardinals meet on Monday to decide the date.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM

The pro homosexual media loathes those that disagree.

And the Church has provided them plenty of ammo over the recent years.

PappyD61 on February 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Where did that come from?

JetBoy on February 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Instead of taking the time to understand the role of the Pontiff and the actual doctrine of the Catholic Church, the media has treated this like a secular succession where all the rules can be rewritten to suit the fashions and tastes of the day. That misses the point in a very large way.

Of course that is completely unsurprising. I watched a bit of CNN’s coverage of the last official meeting of now-Pope Emeritus Benedict and the Cardinals and they kept their snarkiness under wraps for the most part. But every now and then, they’d let some comment slip out, so I switched over to EWTN. (Hint: Their coverage of the upcoming conclave will be far better than anything the U.S. MSM can muster, even if they were sincere in trying. Count on it.)

Yes, it is a sad occasion for Catholics worldwide. Benedict’s address to the people waiting for him in the square around Castle Gandolfo was beautifully touching but poignant, and I’m sorry to see him go.

PatriotGal2257 on February 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Cardinals meet on Monday to decide the date.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Thanks

gophergirl on February 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

PatriotGal2257 on February 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I’m not “sad” about Benedict’s departure…but hopeful and excited at what our new pope will bring to the papal office.

JetBoy on February 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM

DaveDief on February 28, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Yes. And I miss it every day. I went to Catholic school from nursery school through college. It broke my heart.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I don’t think we will see him again…and that makes me sad.

He has been a remarkable Pope and I will miss him.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Don’t be sad. Be grateful for his faithful service and the many hours of prayer he will be offering for us in his solitude. They are certainly much needed.

Jvette on February 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

SnarkVader on February 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Miss it because it is unavailable? Or is it your choice to stay away?

Snark, the church is unchanged because of what has happened. The truth is the same and the Eucharist is the same and the fact that it is not a haven for saints but a hospital for sinners.

Do not deny yourself out of scorn for those who have greatly fallen down in their duty. God is faithful even when we are not.

Jvette on February 28, 2013 at 7:17 PM

JetBoy on February 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM

What do you hope for from the new pope?

Jvette on February 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I don’t think we will see him again…and that makes me sad.

He has been a remarkable Pope and I will miss him.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Jvette on February 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I am grateful for his faithful service and for the many books he has written.

He is an incredible teacher.

I have been praying for him and I know he is praying for us.

Still…Today was bittersweet for many Catholics.

When he said “I am now just a pilgrim in the last days of my pilgrimage on earth…”

It got me…That’s all.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM

SnarkVader on February 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM

We are fighting back.

Bp. Vasa (D. Santa Rosa) under fire for requiring Catholic school teachers to live according to the Faith..

England: Catholic Schools Must Teach Gay Marriage As Acceptable

To many of us in the United States, this is frightening, but realize, we’re not far behind (we’ve been trailing about 10 years behind England).

workingclass artist on February 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Miss it because it is unavailable? Or is it your choice to stay away?

Jvette on February 28, 2013 at 7:17 PM

This was my church.

Here’s what’s left of it.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I thought Taylor Marshall wrote a great personal tribute to Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI at his blog Canterbury Tales…

He is Dean of a new traditional Catholic College in Texas and writes some great books, this post is taken from his latest book – The Eternal City: Rome & the Origins of Catholicism.

My One Mass with Pope Benedict – It Brought Me into the Catholic Church!

excerpt:

“That evening, my wife and I attended the Holy Mass of the Purification with Pope Benedict. At this particular Holy Mass the Holy Father recognized the various religious orders of the world. We were in line with hundreds of nuns, friars, and monks. We were clearly out of place—a married Episcopalian priest in a cassock with a pregnant wife. My dear! I hope we did not scandalize all those nuns.

The Holy Mass was glorious. It began in total darkness. Pope Benedict XVI entered the back doors with only a candle. From this candle was lit all the candles of the nuns, monks, and friars. For the whole Mass, we were near the bronze statue of Saint Peter. I could see the Holy Father clearly. I knew that His Holiness was the true successor of the Fisherman, and recalling that just that morning I had been deep underneath that altar at the bones of Saint Peter, the connection between the ministry of Saint Peter the First Pope and that of Benedict XVI the present Pope was made manifest right before my eyes.

When it came time for Holy Communion, I knew that I could not go forward to receive. Although the Basilica was now lit with glorious light and joy, my soul remained in the darkness.

I was not a Catholic. I was not in communion with the Holy Father. I was in schism. It was a sickening feeling. I was out of communion with the Vicar of Christ, and I knew in that moment that my relationship with Christ was impaired. I also knew what I had to do. I had to resign the Episcopalian priesthood and become a Catholic.

That Mass was one of the most important events in my life. When we got back from Rome, the process began. When I think of Pope Benedict, I’ll always recall that Holy Mass on February 2, 2006 – a Holy Mass that changed my life forever. Viva Papa!”

workingclass artist on February 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Oh really? The media mentioned the word “troubled” and “scandal” a bunch of times when referring to the organization that systematically covered up and further facilitated child rape for years by moving priests to fresh areas to rape after getting caught, and that has paid out billions of dollars to victims? Shocking. . . . . .

thphilli on February 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM

What do you hope for from the new pope?

Jvette on February 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I would love to have a pope that mirrors much of JP2…the way he appealed to the young, traveled extensively around the world, and not stay “cloistered” at the Vatican. And the next pope should work hard to set things right with those in the Church that abused children…to express outrage, bang his fists on his desk and do whatever it takes to help victims in every way possible.

JetBoy on February 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

SnarkVader on February 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM

As a Protestant I look back on the last two Catholic Popes as very great men despite the very dark shadows that have hovered over the Church. I think John Paul II was a great evangelist and Benedict is an awesome theologen. De Lubac, von Balthasar and Ratzinger represented a recent generation deeply inspired Church scholars that produced a very important corpus of writing on Catholic spirituality and theology. If I am to believe what is now being written, Benedict was a deeply spiritual man who was consequently ill-suited to managing the petty infighting and bureacracy of the Vatican. I am hoping in the long run it does not detract from what I feel is a luminous prepapal legacy.

DaveDief on February 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM

It got me…That’s all.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Me too, just trying to offer some comfort:)

Jvette on February 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM

SnarkVader on February 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I’m so sorry, for you and all those who have paid a great price for what happened. I do not defend it, but I do try to keep it in perspective. The ancient church has suffered many slings and arrows, some brought upon herself by those who should be the most faithful and fruitful.

But, as a Catholic, I know it is Jesus I go to and Jesus they can’t take from me through their iniquity.

You are in my prayers.

Jvette on February 28, 2013 at 8:31 PM

JetBoy on February 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I too am hopeful for the new pope. But Benedict and JPII were two very different men and brought very different gifts to the Papacy — they were each exceptional in their own way. I miss JPII, but I will also miss Benedict in an entirely different manner than JPII.

It got me…That’s all.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Yes, me too.

PatriotGal2257 on February 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM

The name of Pope Benedict’s twitter page @Pontifex has been changed to Sede Vacante. [Seat Vacant]

jix on February 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM

This was my church.

Here’s what’s left of it.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

A building is not the Church.

JimLennon on February 28, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Amen.

AesopFan on February 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM

JetBoy on February 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

JPII was a wonderful pope, so was Benedict for different reasons.

I trust the Holy Spirit.

Jvette on February 28, 2013 at 8:48 PM

jix on February 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Yeah…Vatican website removed Benedict’s Papal Coat of Arms and have just the keys graphic…Sede Vacante

My prayers will be focused on the Conclave and the well being of Pope Emeritus

workingclass artist on February 28, 2013 at 10:11 PM

DaveDief on February 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM

He removed 2-3 Bishops a month throughout his pontificate, enacted Canon Law reform and despised the corruption of clericalism,closed corrupt seminaries and colleges, inspired a new generation of seminarians and nuns, continued ecumenical outreach,developed the ordinariate for anglicans and paved the way for others, encouraged the Latin Mass… went to Jerusalem,Auschwitz and Lebanon and made an historic state visit to England…He continued to publish and was a formidable theologian and teacher.

Confronted the clergy abuse scandal publicly, saying it was an evil filth that must be cleaned from the church and he met with victims.

He is now a year older than JPII was when he died.

The Church was strengthened by his service and the legacy of his pontificate…imho…

workingclass artist on February 28, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Castel Gandolfo — one place where another pontiff sheltered over the course of WWII several thousand Jews to keep them out of the clutches of the Nazis, and to provide them “Letters of Transit” to Palestine and other safe havens for Jews.

unclesmrgol on February 28, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Good riddance to yet another enabler of child rape.

SnarkVader on February 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Stay classy.

The_Jacobite on February 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Enough with this Pope nonsense HotAir. It’s obvious the majority here could care less just by the lack of comments on these “Pope” threads. I’m sure the majority of the evangelicals on here look at Catholicism as worse than atheism, and we atheists could definitely care less.

hatecraft on March 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM

hatecraft on March 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM

First, I missed that poll you took of “the majority here”. Second, I wasn’t aware that folks were required to visit the threrads they didn’t care to read.

And obviously “you” care because you had to come to the thread and show your intolerance.

And … you don’t speak for Evangelicals.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2013 at 1:27 AM

hatecraft on March 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Get a grip.

The world is bigger than you are…and today is historic.

Catholics and Evangelicals as well as other denominations have been engaged in ecumenical dialog for quite a while now.

Many of us prefer to learn from each other and see what we have in common as Christians.

Your vacant philosophy is well…vacant and pretty boring.

Sorry to see by your moniker that you hate crafts.

workingclass artist on March 1, 2013 at 1:44 AM

The church is an institution steeped in tradition and the family.
Why wouldn’t progressives attack the church?
Leftists attack marriage, faith, sobriety, individuality when it suits them, and a long list of anything that goes against conservative thinking.
On one hand they are appalled by the church’s pedophilia scandal. On the other hand they want gay troop leaders in the Boy Scouts. True not all gays are interested in boys, but, it’s a candy store for those who are.
Just remember that these same attack dogs are among the same crowd that rails against smoking as they promote marijuana use smoking … “forgive them for they know not what they are doing.”

kregg on March 1, 2013 at 6:03 AM

Let’s hope the coverage improves during the conclave.

Surely you jest…..and stop calling me Shirley.

olesparkie on March 1, 2013 at 7:25 AM

hatecraft on March 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I am not a churchgoer but I was brought up in the UCC denomination. I would hazard a guess that most evangelicals believe atheism is worse than Catholicism. From the tone of your post I believe you inserting yourself into a conversation on religion is like Obama inserting himself into a conversation on morality.

DaveDief on March 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM

No Dave, I have plenty of experience with religion. Was forced to go to church three times a week right up until the day I left for Parrish Island. From that point on, I was an adult and free to choose whether to attend or not.

hatecraft on March 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM

*Parris not “Parrish”. Darn spell check. Kind of funny that the “correction” was related to the topic at hand. Also forgot to mention church camp every summer. So yeah, I have plenty of experience with religion.

hatecraft on March 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM