Hastert Rule, strike three: House passes Senate’s Violence Against Women Act bill with majority of Republicans opposed

posted at 1:41 pm on February 28, 2013 by Allahpundit

286-138, with all 199 Democrats voting yes and all 138 no votes coming from the GOP. That makes three times, the first being the fiscal cliff and the second being the Sandy relief bill, that Boehner’s pushed something through the House with most of his own caucus opposed.

How’d we get here? Most of the GOP caucus opposed the Senate version of VAWA for various reasons, in part because it granted tribal courts on Native American reservations jurisdiction over non-Native American men, a move of questionable constitutionality. Enter Eric Cantor, who helped draft a new House version of the bill that would have compromised on tribal jurisdiction. To placate opponents of the Senate bill, Cantor’s House bill would be voted on first. Only if that failed would the Senate bill get a vote. It failed — 166-257, with 60 Republicans joining 197 Democrats to shoot it down — which means it was time for the Senate version to get a shot. Straightforward, right? Well, via DrewM, not exactly:

House leaders reached the decision to pitch the Senate bill late Tuesday, only once it became clear a House version of the measure could not pass. At a meeting earlier in the evening among members of the Whip team, which counts votes, the contingency of the Senate bill coming to the floor was not even raised.

“You would have never thought that had the slightest possibility of happening based on the discussions,” one House Republican aide familiar with the meeting said. The member of Congress for whom the aide works only learned that the House would vote on the Senate version of VAWA later — from Politico.

“I think members are more upset over the process than they are over the Senate bill itself,” the aide added.

But what about Cantor? He tried to get a House bill through in lieu of the Senate bill. He even voted no on the Senate bill this morning. If anyone went to the mat for House Republicans on this, it was him, right? Right?

House majority leader Eric Cantor is increasingly frustrated with a group of House Republicans who are working against the leadership, and he’s not afraid of voicing his dismay.

In a closed-door conference meeting on Wednesday, Cantor told one GOP member that if they blocked the Senate-passed Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) from coming to the floor, they’d cause “civil war” in the ranks.

Cantor’s comment irked some Republican aides, who told National Review Online that such strong language is inappropriate.

In the end, thanks to pressure from Cantor, only nine Republicans voted against bringing the Senate bill to the floor. For your exit question, I’ll leave you with this, from Politico’s Jonathan Martin:

Update: Via Mediaite, here’s Mark Levin making the case against the Senate bill that’ll soon become law.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Boehner is the biggest Lilliputian in DC.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Oh joy – more ‘special interest’ legislation – just what we need.

Pork-Chop on February 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Cantor is the swine to the Boehner oxen.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Boehner might as well not stick around past 2014.

Flapjackmaka on February 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

So what incentive do we have to leave the House in the hands of the GOP after next year? If they’re gonna keep rubber stamping the Obama agenda with every Democrat and only a minority of Republicans voting through every bit of crap legislation that Harry Reid sends over, just put the gavel back in Pelosi’s hand. That way at least Obama is left with no foil when everything goes to hell. Shoot, in retrospect it’s looking like retaking the House was the worst thing that could’ve happened in 2010.

Doughboy on February 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

There’s effectively now coalition-style gov’t in the House.Why would Boehner want this job after ’14?

— jmartpolitico (@jmartpolitico) February 28, 2013

Why does the swine keep it now? He is the biggest disgrace in DC.

Cantor is the 2nd biggest. They enable Obama, which makes them worse than Obama.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Oh my, I think I’m going to cry.

forest on February 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Cantor probably voted against it only when he knew it would pass, to try to salvage a little credibility for himself. And probably voted for the house bill only on the certainty that it wouldn’t pass.

Cantor. Boner. Traitors.

bofh on February 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I thought violence against women was already illegal..?

d1carter on February 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM

The country will die. Amnesty will get through.

El_Terrible on February 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Boehner might as well not stick around past 2014.

Flapjackmaka on February 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

He s/b thrown out, voted out, and may oblivion embrace him. He is the biggest disgrace in the land.

Eunuchs, rejoice.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Cantor is a huge problem. He knew of Benghazi, long bef. the election and said Nada.

He is a weasel of enormous proportions.

Issa is also a traitor.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Anyone else miss Newt Gingrich as Speaker of the House?
Because he was the last true Conservative Speaker the Congress ever had.

portlandon on February 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

So if you are convicted for “unpleasant speech” you will lose your 2nd amendment rights for good. Oh brave new world.

ronsfi on February 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Lsm giddy
*sigh *

cmsinaz on February 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Anyone else miss Newt Gingrich as Speaker of the House?
Because he was the last true Conservative Speaker the Congress ever had.

portlandon on February 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Indeed…it’s really weird that he and Bill Clinton are two who still loved their land and her children.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Who are the gop who voted for this boondoggle

cmsinaz on February 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM

You right wing extremist purist TruConzz just don’t understand the ten dimensional chess game Boehner is playing with Obama. Each surrender actually brings us closer to ultimate victory! Boehner is fighting hard every day for us, you losers should learn to be grateful!

Do I really need a sarc tag here? Boehner is an agent of Obama and needs to go.

Doomberg on February 28, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Someone please primary Boehner

CycloneCDB on February 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM

If the constitution doesn’t mean anything to these people, the social compact is broken, and we can go to town on these asshats.

Iblis on February 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM

— jmartpolitico (@jmartpolitico) February 28, 2013

More the point, we don’t want Boehner now as it is.

Ein Volk, Ein Partei, Ein Obama.

Liam on February 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2013 at 1:53 PM

My father made a comment the other night that kind of shocked me.

He said “It took a year of Barack Obama to make me like the 8 years of Bill Clinton.”

My father hated Bill Clinton.

portlandon on February 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

And these votes are why electability is a bunch of bunk. All of these idiots were “electable” and they are voting with Democrats- Bravo!

melle1228 on February 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

ronsfi on February 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

No kidding. If what Levin was saying about this bill is true, it’s like unleashing every single trial lawyer and member of the political correctness police on the American people. I don’t see how in God’s name this can hold up constitutionally unless Obama manages to secure a 5-4 or 6-3 liberal court.

Doughboy on February 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Anyone else miss Newt Gingrich as Speaker of the House?
Because he was the last true Conservative Speaker the Congress ever had.

portlandon on February 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I would settle for having an actual Republican – you know, a member of an actual opposition to the Democrats – as Speaker of the House. Clearly, the (R) by Boehner’s name is some kind of misprint.

Doomberg on February 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Ok Cantor, bring it on…

Piece of crap legislation, and YOU demand Conservatives vote on this!

Go to Hell Republican Party…

Let it BURN!

Scrumpy on February 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Why does Obama need the house to go Dem.

It already is.

Steveangell on February 28, 2013 at 1:59 PM

My father made a comment the other night that kind of shocked me.

My father hated Bill Clinton.

portlandon on February 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I’m right there with him. I didn’t necessarily hate Bubba, although I did think he was a lying sleazebag. But I never really felt that the country was at risk of imploding the way I do under this regime. In fact, I’m almost resigned to an economic and societal collapse at this point.

Doughboy on February 28, 2013 at 1:59 PM

This result is especially disappointing given the demagogy surrounding the Violence Against Women Act.

The Democrats regularly touted the recent decrease in domestic violence as the big reason for renewing the Act. Trouble is, there’s really no hard evidence the Act had any effect on domestic violence. If the law has a tangible benefit then it’s way more subtle than the claimed reduction of domestic violence.

crowtreboot on February 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM

LIARS you all stinkng lie and lie and lie.

I am done with you…

The things I want to say…

You fracking IRKED my IRE for the LAST time!

You all are creating a hell out of this country, but I sure hope you all burn in it first…

Scrumpy on February 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM

My father made a comment the other night that kind of shocked me.

My father hated Bill Clinton.

portlandon on February 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Bill Clinton was just a typical, crooked pol on the take. Obama appears to be trying to bankrupt the country on purpose so they can recreate it as some sort of Bolivarian socialist-style “utopia.” Give me Clinton any day.

Doomberg on February 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM

The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Any chance House GOP will have the balls to oust Drunky Crier this time?

sauldalinsky on February 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM

AP…you’re killing me.
What do you mean “how’d we get here?”. Where have you been?….Boehner has been disgraceful and incompetent at his job for a long time now.
You need to take your blinders off, you need to quit worrying about all things Christie…and you need to stop pushing the Bush protege Rooobio.
Wake up and do your job, then you won’t be asking “what just happened?”

I love Mark America’s take on this…..

tencole on February 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I thought violence against women was already illegal..?

d1carter on February 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM

The thread should stop here.

Funny, correct and an indictment of the political pigs in perpetuity, across the board.

Well done.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 28, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I thought violence against women was already illegal..?

d1carter on February 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Everything now is a Trojan Horse for something else bad or unpopular. The Sandy relief bill was the last example. You have to swallow a whole bunch of poison now with any bill and they get names for things that no one oppose like “violence to women”.

Conan on February 28, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Let’s just call this craptasticular bill what it is, “The White Men are Always Wrong” bill.

LincolntheHun on February 28, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Anyone else miss Newt Gingrich as Speaker of the House?
Because he was the last true Conservative Speaker the Congress ever had.

portlandon on February 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Doomberg on February 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

The old Gingrich before the GOPe destroyed him.

Michelle Bauchman perhaps.

Steveangell on February 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM

My father hated Bill Clinton.

portlandon on February 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I understand your good man.

The land is being destroyed by both sides. I hate the Rs more than the other leeches. The latter are themselves. The former pretend and then enable them, in full. There is NO opposition. They are all derelict of their oath and duties. May they all combust.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM

crowtreboot on February 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM

If what Lorena Bobbitt did to her abusive husband didn’t make vile men take pause and think twice, there’s no way a symbolic law would. That’s like trying to stop street crime by banning guns from law-abiding citizens.

Liam on February 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM

The old Gingrich before the GOPe destroyed him.

Michelle Bauchman perhaps.

Steveangell on February 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Another reason Allen West’s loss was so devastating.

tencole on February 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM

In the eyes of Government, we are all now criminals.

ronsfi on February 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

My father made a comment the other night that kind of shocked me.

My father hated Bill Clinton.

portlandon on February 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Doomberg on February 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Bill Clinton and Obama both remind me of the C.S. Lewis quote about the robber baron and the do gooder.. Bill Clinton was not ideological and government by polls. He tended to be out for Bill Clinton. He fell more in the robber baron category. Obama is an ideological busybody..

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

melle1228 on February 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I thought violence against women was already illegal..?

d1carter on February 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Yeah, I guess I missed my chance…..
(Dilbert’s version)

GWB on February 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

What would Karl Rove do..?

d1carter on February 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Okay, not kidding here; seriously, why are we not in open revolt yet?

Midas on February 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

What would Karl Rove do..?

d1carter on February 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Get rid of the Tea Party candidates/representatives. They’re obviously the ones who ‘lost’ this issue for the House Pubs. /

Liam on February 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM

AP…you’re killing me.
Wake up and do your job, then you won’t be asking “what just happened?”
tencole on February 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Amen! Reading Allahpundit’s crying about Christie not invited to be a turd in the punch bowl at the CPAC rally and wondering what bad things are happening to the core principles of a FUNCTIONING party like not bringing bills (or backstabbing governors) that have a majority support to the House floor is to miss the point of what is going on!

Conan on February 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Okay, not kidding here; seriously, why are we not in open revolt yet?

Midas on February 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Ummm…Beware the wrath of a patient man?

Liam on February 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I remember the glory days of 2012 when I was told by just about everyone that the arch-conservatives in the House were going to keep the statist Romney in check when he won, so I was foolish to be concerned about Romney’s record. Those arch-conservatives won’t even keep Obama in check and we’re supposed to believe they would have been anything more than lap dogs for Romney?! HAH!

besser tot als rot on February 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Okay, not kidding here; seriously, why are we not in open revolt yet?

Midas on February 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

A legitimate question.

The tipping point is coming, or did we miss it?

portlandon on February 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM

And isn’t that just the planned programmed “foot in the door” into putting all of us under sharia law?

Don L on February 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM

As Mark Levin said:

…under federal law, those convicted of domestic violence lose their right to keep and bear arms. You may be thinking that this doesn’t apply to you, but I would urge you to reconsider. If the Senate version of the Violence Against Women Act(S.47) passes the House, as Eric Cantor is currently twisting Republican arms to do, “unpleasant speech” will be considered a federal crime qualifying as domestic violence. Are you still more concerned about the alleged threat against Bob Woodward? You see, the Senate version of the bill now includes a number of chilling provisions that would turn mundane arguments among couples into the grounds for the loss of one’s second Amendment rights. If you think this is a joke, or that I’m going over-the-top, I would ask you to consider what sort of jurisdiction the Federal government has in domestic violence anyway. Isn’t this an issue for states and local governments? Federalism? Tenth Amendment? Conservatives? Anybody? The only reason to make this sort of law on the federal level is to use it as a vehicle for its legislative side-effects. You are going to be disarmed, and this will be the vehicle.

Here’s more:

The Violence Against Women Act is the path to taking everybody’s guns, because it even changes the burden of proof effectively from the accuser to the accused. That’s right, under this act, if you are accused, it will be nearly impossible to avoid being found guilty because almost anything remotely unpleasant can be considered as “abuse” or “violence.” So much for “sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.”

Perhaps as insidiously, it adds more classes of people to the legislation, including homosexuals, transgendered, and men too, begging the question as to why it is labeled “Violence Against Women Act.” The answer is clear, however, considering this bill constitutes a continuation of the Obama strategy of denouncing Republicans’ “War Against Women.” As RedState’s Daniel Horowitz observes, it’s impossible to see where this is anything but a social engineering package. With the added implications for gun ownership, it becomes an even darker tool.

Done with this bullshite…

How in the hell can one fight this insidiousness?

It’s done, we are done… It’s OVER!

Scrumpy on February 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM

What the heck is wrong with these people? The GOP is a mess, standing for NOTHING at this point if it’s just another entity pushing for bloated, centralized government.

Murf76 on February 28, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Okay, not kidding here; seriously, why are we not in open revolt yet?

Midas on February 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

The testicle fairy came in the night.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 28, 2013 at 2:13 PM

So the Dems basically have de facto control over the House, too? Terrific. I have no idea what the bill is about (though the scary title is something I’ve already seen used against the GOP), so why did House Republicans reject Cantor’s version?

Also, I’d love to know who the GOP aides were that went whining to the press over Cantor’s remarks. Inappropriate? No, because a civil war is exactly what it looks like to outsiders.

changer1701 on February 28, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I’m beginning to suspect that Joe Scarborough can be taken as pretty much what is normal for your typical GOP congressman.

besser tot als rot on February 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I’m convinced that the Founding Fathers would urinate on all of us.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM

A legitimate question.

The tipping point is coming, or did we miss it?

portlandon on February 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM

The tipping point is the collapse of the US economy. I wish I felt that this was an “if” and not a “when”, but any optimism I had died in 2012 and its grave is constantly being p-ssed on by Boehner and Co. ever since then.

Doughboy on February 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM

ronsfi on February 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Doughboy on February 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Ok, if this is signed (and it will be), I think someone like Levin or some other legal foundation needs to accept any and all cases pro bono, and we literally need to overwhelm the government with lawsuits for every little thing that causes us ‘discomfort’, for all the ‘unpleasant speech’ we hear from Obama, Pelosi, Reid, Biden, Ellison, Matthews, MSNBC SEIU folks, Bloomberg, global warming hacks, gun grabbers, Cuomo, etc = EVERY SINGLE DAY, HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF LAWSUITS FILED.

Midas on February 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Ummm…Beware the wrath of a patient man?

Liam on February 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I’m wondering whether he’s infinitely patient, or already dead.

Midas on February 28, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Okay, not kidding here; seriously, why are we not in open revolt yet?

Midas on February 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

If you mean Republicans, we are. Fewer and fewer voters will turn out to vote with a GOP leadership that has decided collaboration with the Democrats is a better way to maintain power.

If you mean the country, there will be no revolt until the EBT cards stop working. THEN you’ll see serious riots/revolts. But not until then.

Note that for the most part, while peoples’ taxes are going up and jobs are being lost, it hasn’t remotely hit a critical mass. The majority of people are able to live as they did a few years ago, albeit with some adjustments. They’re still getting three square meals a day. They still have a TV and a Wii. They have an iPhone. They have computer, electricity, and internet. That’s really all that matters.

Doomberg on February 28, 2013 at 2:16 PM

besser tot als rot on February 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Man….ditto that!

tencole on February 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM

+1steve

cmsinaz on February 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Don L on February 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Why are you comparing Native Americans to followers of Islam?

The only thing this means is that you can’t rape women on Indian reservations and face a jury in your home state.

bayam on February 28, 2013 at 2:20 PM

“Cantor isn’t a conservative, he’s an operator.”

-Levin

Yep.

Dongemaharu on February 28, 2013 at 2:20 PM

What would Karl Rove do..?

d1carter on February 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

This a.m. he suggested that Boehner give Obama sequester power, no kidding.

May they all combust, instantly.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Is it the same group of minority majority GOP weasels that keep voting in lock step with a 100% democrat vote in the House? If so, that is the list that needs to be primaried.

karenhasfreedom on February 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM

This is where we are headed…

Our rights of free speech will be denied.

If this passes, we will have to think very carefully about every fracking word we utter for fear it is criminal…

The VAWA law, will curtail our speech in ways we never even thought of.

Any woman, man, homosexual, transgender anyone who breathes, be careful what you say…

Infrackingsane

Scrumpy on February 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM

We always have the SCOTUS to stop this madness…yeah, thanks CJ Roberts.

d1carter on February 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I’m wondering whether he’s infinitely patient, or already dead.

Midas on February 28, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Time will tell. I’m very cynical, to be sure. Like you, I often wonder much the same. All I’ll say is that things come in due season. I will also add that, like an overlong winter, squishes can kill a dream–but only so far.

Right now seems the time to wait and further prepare, in my never-humble opinion. Time is still useful to us as well.

Just some ideas, please. :-)

Liam on February 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Allahpundit specialty postings:

Republican Civil War…

Obama the invincible…

Those liberals at your work place and in your social life really control you Allahpundit, it is very clear from the way you post…

mnjg on February 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM

The GOP leadership’s strategy: Vote for what we tell you to vote for or we will rubber stamp the democrat’s agenda to teach you a lesson.

These clowns are a disgrace.

Next up is amnesty.

Wigglesworth on February 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM

We need new leadership… and then some. Again, what does the GOP do for its base?

Punchenko on February 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM

To what levels of self disrespect does one need to sink to allow oneself to be pressured into a vote for this deceptive swill by the likes of Eric Cantor? The pathetic never stops.

rrpjr on February 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I’d just settle for HA to reload the page where I left it last..?

d1carter on February 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I’d just settle for HA to reload the page where I left it last..?

d1carter on February 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I’m gettin’ carpal tunnel.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 28, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Nah, they just plain support Obama’s agenda.

I’ve noticed the usual suspects who always crawl out from under rocks like in the Christie threads to denounce us as “fanatic purists” and “extremists” are as quiet as church mice in this thread. Wonder why.

Allahpundit specialty postings:

Republican Civil War…

So do you think AP should not have reported this? Or do you think he should have done his best to spin this betrayal by Boehner as “conservative” somehow?

Doomberg on February 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Allahpundit specialty postings:

Republican Civil War…

Obama the invincible…

mnjg on February 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM

You have to wonder how Mr. Stockholm Syndrome gets through the day.

How long till he suggests we are all a$$holes for holding Christie accountable for his backstabbing and how judgmental we are for what he does TO US and how we should do nothing but love him in return.

Conan on February 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM

rrpjr on February 28, 2013 at 2:27 PM

When money and power are at the grasp, for the taking and doling out as personal profit determines, who needs self-respect?

Liam on February 28, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Okay, not kidding here; seriously, why are we not in open revolt yet?

Midas on February 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I share your bafflement and disgust.

rrpjr on February 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM

You have to wonder how Mr. Stockholm Syndrome gets through the day.

Conan on February 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I like the Mr. Stockholm Syndrom, it is a good description of Allahpundit… Regarding Chris Christie, I noticed how Allahpundit tries to push him down our throat on this site by keep posting stuff about this traitor fat f***…

mnjg on February 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Doomberg on February 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM

No he should not…

mnjg on February 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I don’t see why the Left doesn’t just introduce one bill after another with the same sort of language, “Violence against Earth Act” or “Violence against Children Act” stocked with completely extraneous totalitarian time-bombs and extort the GOP into voting for it.

Seems like a given.

The GOP’s operative policy seems to be to vote for ANY noble-sounding bill so as to avoid ANY possibility of a media person or democrat EVER embrrassing you for voting against based on its name.

rrpjr on February 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM

mnjg on February 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM

This, plus following comments, make you no different than squish Boehner. Quit picking on AP for reporting such eunuchean weasels.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM

ronsfi on February 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Its the natural evolution of the original law (a Joe Biden production). They’ve had the domestic violence conviction (misdemeanor only needed) and restraining/protection order denial for gun rights for a couple of decades now.

So again, Bill Bennett et. al, why should I get married to all those lonely hard working conservative career women again? Whats in it for me? The so called party of family values doesn’t have the guts, the balls or the ovaries to stand up for families or marriage. I’m not even talking about gay marriage, thats a red herring at this point. Get back to me when you care about no fault divorce, child custody isues, and alimony issues.

Every day my decision to leave the repubs and go independent 10 years ago is vindicated. The GOP is worthless, they’re not even a decent foil like the Generals for the Globetrotters. They’re in the bag with the Dems.

oryguncon on February 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM

The fact that only nine republicans refused to give into pressure from that weasel Cantor proves what spineless wusses the republicans are.

MCGIRV on February 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM

mnjg, you seem to convey contradictions. Focus your ire at Boehner, not AP.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Okay, not kidding here; seriously, why are we not in open revolt yet?

Midas on February 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

The testicle fairy came in the night.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 28, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Sarah Palin?

kim roy on February 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Seems like a given.

rrpjr on February 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM

True. But why doesn’t the GOP turn around and do the same thing? Sure, they’d be DOA in the Senate, but make the Dems vote against the ‘Support our Troops Act’, or the ‘Disabled Children Act’, or whatever. Why is it that we never play the same PR game they do?

It’s bad enough they’ve effectively got control of the chamber. But, at least try to turn the tables on them.

changer1701 on February 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I have said it many times before and will say it many times again: Cantor is a snake.

Blaise on February 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I don’t understand the GOP establishment’s strategy. They pretty much gave up on any grassroots money and support, gave up on winning national elections, and are content to be a party of “loyal opposition”. In exchange, they count on Democrats to leave them a smaller (yet significant) piece of tax money pie. Don’t they understand that the Democrats will eventually want that piece of pie for themselves, too? What was that maxim about appeasing a crocodile?

Archivarix on February 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Sarah Palin?

kim roy on February 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Would that the Tea Party ruled the roost.

A roost full of Republican chicken-shits.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 28, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Here’s a tasty thought… This article assumes the Republicans opposed this measure. There’s no evidence of that. Just because 138 lined up and voted no, after knowing up front it would pass no matter what, what is the downside? They get to pretend they voted no, and it’s irrelevant to the overall measure which, of course, passes.

Politics as usual.

HopeHeFails on February 28, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Just pathetic and a complete failure of the average person understanding the role of the Federal government…otherwise how could more people not be completely pissed off.

Too bad my representative voted no for it, otherwise I’d love to send them a piece of my mind.

nextgen_repub on February 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Dear John,

Why don’t you just hand the gavel back to Nazi Pelosi and carry your ass home?

CantCureStupid on February 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM

We can borrow our way out of debt, tax our way to prosperity, and surrender our way to victory.

The Rogue Tomato on February 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM

mnjg on February 28, 2013 at 2:36 PM

If Allahpundit would try and notice he was asked about CPAC and said

“I don’t sweat the small stuff”

Funny you would expect a guy who felt bad about misunderstandings to say something a little more like

“CPAC is a great group who has done a lot of good for Republican candidates, I wish them well with their convention”

Of course we know why he didn’t and why he said what he did because he isn’t sorry and would and WILL do it again but to Allahpundit we will all be judged by how we treat him and he lives in fear of standing up to traitors and bullies as part of his Beta male persona.

Conan on February 28, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Do you feel that? In your gut? That’s slavery. That’s what it feels like.

ronsfi on February 28, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Look for Boehner and HIS Democratic party coalition, to pass a continuing resolution that restores ALL of the ‘cuts’ of the sequester due to start tomorrow.

WHAT is the POINT of having Boehner as Speaker of the House?

Freddy on February 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM