More self-defense advice from Joe Biden: “Just fire the shotgun through the door”

posted at 8:41 pm on February 27, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Because the advice he offered last week to simply “fire two blasts” outside the house wasn’t recklessly bogus enough, here’s the vice president expounding even further on his recommendations for in-home self-defense in an in-depth interview with Field & Stream on Monday (h/t Washington Examiner):

F&S: What about the other uses, for self-defense and target practice?

V.P. BIDEN: Well, the way in which we measure it is—I think most scholars would say—is that as long as you have a weapon sufficient to be able to provide your self-defense. I did one of these town-hall meetings on the Internet and one guy said, “Well, what happens when the end days come? What happens when there’s the earthquake? I live in California, and I have to protect myself.”

I said, “Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door.” Most people can handle a shotgun a hell of a lot better than they can a semiautomatic weapon in terms of both their aim and in terms of their ability to deter people coming. We can argue whether that’s true or not, but it is no argument that, for example, a shotgun could do the same job of protecting you. Now, granted, you can come back and say, “Well, a machine gun could do a better job of protecting me.” No one’s arguing we should make machine guns legal.

Honestly, did no one bother to inform the vice president, after his first round of similarly awful advice, that just blasting away on the back porch will 1) reveal your position, 2) leave you effectively disarmed, and 3) possibly get you into some legal trouble?

Personal anecdote, as a young woman of the sort at which the vice president heartily chuckled last week: I’m fairly handy with a twelve gauge, if I do say so myself — I’ve been using them for years on family shooting expeditions, so I’ve had plenty of practice time to get comfortable with them. Just this past Christmas, however, I had my first opportunity to try out an AR-15, and not knowing what to expect, I firmly nestled the ‘assault weapon’ into my shoulder, braced for impact, and… there was virtually no kick. Effortlessly accurate at both short and long distances, and easy to operate, too.

I would never argue that a shotgun is a good option for home defense and deterrence (especially those singularly musical sounds of a ready-to-go pump-action) in the case that a single intruder is bearing down on you, since it doesn’t take much precision at close range… but you better not miss. Tradeoffs, people.

And just firing the shotgun out the door when you think people might be looking to enter your home? …So much for “gun safety” advocacy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Shotgun Joe strikes again!

29Victor on February 28, 2013 at 2:51 AM

Just how superior does Obama need to feel to surround himself with the likes of idiots like Biden and Hagel or crooks like Lew? Cripes!

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Actually I think his need to surround himself with absolute idiots is for 2 reasons. First, noone to make his AA A$$ feel inferior. Second, noone smart enough to see he is harming this country on purpose.

Woodward is finally catching on.

WryTrvllr on February 28, 2013 at 4:06 AM

More on topic:

“Which part of ONLY thin mints didn’t you understand??!!!” BAM..BAM…

WryTrvllr on February 28, 2013 at 4:08 AM

In fact, if Woodward goes any further, soon Crazy Joe will be telling us that taking out powerline transforms is good anger management therapy. Use steel shot.

WryTrvllr on February 28, 2013 at 4:14 AM

transformers

WryTrvllr on February 28, 2013 at 4:15 AM

Joe Biden: Buy a Shotgun

petefrt on February 28, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Holy Crap Joe, you outdid yourself again.

tbear44 on February 28, 2013 at 4:59 AM

The Postman Only Rings Once…

celt on February 28, 2013 at 5:49 AM

If you’re Biden you are part of the Obama administration, what difference does anything you say then really make? So have some fun while you’re at it.

JellyToast on February 28, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Ummm, haven’t we already seen this week what happens when you just fire through a door?

msr on February 28, 2013 at 6:47 AM

A couple of points regarding this idiotic statement:

1. He continues to refer to semiautomatic weapons as though they are military-grade machine guns. As everyone here knows, a great many of the handguns sold today are semiautomatic weapons. It’s not as if when we say “semiautomatic weapon,” it’s a 100 pound woman trying to blast away at an intruder with an Uzi.

2. It may be easier to aim a shotgun than a semiautomatic weapon, I don’t know. But in the case of the double-barrel shotgun that ole Joe keeps talking about, you don’t get a second chance if you miss. With a basic semiautomatic pistol, you do.

3. If someone is illegally entering my home, I don’t want to try to “deter” them. They’re already past that point. Once you’re breaking into my home, you are a threat to the life of myself and, more importantly, my family. I am shooting to kill at that point, and the law in most states clearly backs me up on this. Might the sound of a pump-action shotgun scare some away? Possibly, but by the time you’re attempting an illegal entry into my home, I’m not prepared to take that chance.

Shump on February 28, 2013 at 7:47 AM

How many people have done what Joe suggests and accidentally killed a friend or relative? Liberals already think guns should be banned because of accidents, too, and Joe is advising people take actions that could result in more?

If I thought he wasn’t such a dolt, I’d swear he’s hoping people taking his advice would bolster his case to ban guns for the law-abiding.

Liam on February 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM

No one’s arguing we should make machine guns legal.

Machine guns are legal idiot! But, we can’t expect much knowledge about legality from a lawyer can we?

Don L on February 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM

This is the latest piece of advice from the administration that brought you:
1) Fast & Furious – the illegal gun program that armed Mexican Drug Cartels, is responsible for 300+ (and growing) deaths – to include a US BPA, & over which the JUSTICE Dept lead, Eric Holder, perpetrated 3 FELONY counts of PERJURY before Congress….

2) UN-Constitutional ‘Obamacare’…

3) The Un-Constitutional ‘Bailout’ which, among other things, bypassed

4) Creating ‘new rights’ for Illegals – no arresting/holding/sentencing any for crimes less than a Felony…and a bunch of detained Illegals just released earlier this week….

5) The Benghazi cover-up …

This from the guy who alreADY GAVE THE illegal ADVICE THAT WOULD GET YOU ARRESTED — JUST SHOOT YOUR GUN OUT ON THE BALCONY…..

Now Joe tells us, “Just shoot the intruder while he is on your doorstep’….WHICH IS ALSO ILLEGAL & WILL GET YOU ARRESTED FOR MURDER……

Don’t Obama & Joe know how to do anything that ISN’T ILLEGAL OR UNCONSTITUTIONAL?!

easyt65 on February 28, 2013 at 8:01 AM

The Postman Only Rings Once…

celt on February 28, 2013 at 5:49 AM

lol. yeah, thats pretty much all he’ll get to do.

johnnyU on February 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM

There’s no doubt in my mind, anymore, that Biden was put in as the Slight of Hand VP.

While the dope goes through his antics, the King and his army are destroying the nation while they think we are not looking. Sadly, too many are not looking.

so-notbuyingit on February 28, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Bing Bong…Dominos..BOOM…Oooh, better give him a good tip.

bluesdoc70 on February 28, 2013 at 8:19 AM

not to mention that a legless olympian was recently charged with murder for shooting his girlfriend through a locked door…gotta know who’s on the other side!

erclimb on February 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I like my Mossberg, but it can’t take somebody out at 500 yards.

tdarrington on February 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Sure it can! Just stand closer. –sez Joe

Nutstuyu on February 28, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Scholars? What, now the pencil necks in the faculty lounge are experts on guns and self-defense?

Seriously though, if Joe were a Republican, the media would be clamoring to have him removed from office and hospitalized.

RadClown on February 28, 2013 at 8:37 AM

We’re governed by incompetents, charlatans, connivers and utter fools . . . what’s left?

rplat on February 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM

To see how well this advice has already worked, look up Blade Runner and dead girlfriend. If he had used a shotgun, he would have only needed to shoot once.

Kissmygrits on February 28, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Joe’s picture should be placed in every gun shop, pawn shop, gun show, newspaper in America. Any one selling him a gun should be sent to prison for twenty years. Dr. Jill should also get a bulletproof vest and steel helmet plus a bullet proof bathroom door so she doesn’t get accidentally shot like Ms. Steenkamp

Herb on February 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM

But you know it really works! I actually scared of two Jehovah Witnesses, two girl scouts selling cookies, the Fed Ex guy and my wife. I did have to replace three doors, no casualties, the bird shot didn’t penetrate the door.

hip shot on February 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Forget that double-barrelled nonsense. 12 rounds of 12-gauge in the magazines, one in the chamber. That’s what I’m talkin’ ’bout. Maybe Grampa Joe will buy one of those for his wife.

Mr. Bultitude on February 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Next Joe will be telling us to look down the barrel and pull the trigger just to make sure it’s loaded.

The Rogue Tomato on February 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Blasting through the door
Will get your ass arrested
Nine times out of ten.

We are supposed to be looking to Shotgun Joe as a way to reduce carnage?

When I shoot an AR-15, I hit what I am aiming at. If I were to go blasting away through closed doors with the trusty ol’ double-barrel, no telling who would get hit!

Haiku Guy on February 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Mr. Bultitude on February 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Bought my KSG about a year ago – sweet weapon!

Harbingeing on February 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM

As John Kerry says,
There is a right to be stupid
In America.

Joe Biden intends to exersize that right to the maximum extent possible…

Haiku Guy on February 28, 2013 at 9:56 AM

My God, this guy is really a moron isn’t he?

I’m only a casual hunter and not a gun enthusiast at all, but even I know:

1. A fair number of shotguns ARE semiautomatic.
2. There is nothing difficult or intimidating about handling semiautomatic weapons: one trigger pull = one shot.
3. Firing blindly through a door is a great way to end up in prison for involuntary manslaughter.

LukeinNE on February 28, 2013 at 10:02 AM

So Biden is endorsing the “Blade Runner” Oscar Pistorius school of self defense.

Speechlesstx on February 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Haiku Guy, could not have said that better myself. Might’ve spelled it differently, but well said, nonetheless. :-)

Joe Hairplug is Obama’s biggest insurance policy against assassination. I mean, who would want to be responsible for putting this idiot in charge??

NeoCon_1 on February 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Sadly, Biden is probably not the dumbest person in the senate though he can’t be far from it.

Big Orange on February 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM

If you hear a sound outside your front door just blast away with your shotgun and
A. blast your kitty into a million pieces
B. total a girl scout selling cookies
C. or you might get lucky and kill a tax collector
D. will insurance pay for a new door?
E how many millions will it cost you to defend yourself criminally and civilly in case of B or C?

MaiDee on February 28, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Slow Joe Biden.
He was given this moniker before he moved from House to Senate a LONG time ago. He maintains his intellectual skills regardless of the passage of time. Amazing.
Well, as have often referred to him as:
An imbicile studying to be a moron and failing miserably.

He was chosen by Moochell as a Chain Drive Life Insurance Policy for Him.
Think about it, who would be willing to cap King Putt and end up with Slow Joe as a replacement for Prezzie Choombro?

Missilengr on February 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM

THE DUMBEST ELECTED OFFICIAL IN WASHINGTON DC HISTORY.

dthorny on February 28, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Ya know…the kick on that shotgun is going to be a lot worse that the kick for that AR….especially since Joe’s shotgun isn’t semi-auto and as a result, you get to absorb ALL the recoil.

I’ll take the Kel-Tec KSG or maybe the Saiga with a drum mag.

Nicely appointed Saiga, with all those “evil” black parts:

ProfShadow on February 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Joe fires his shotgun through the door and finds a dead Reeva Steencamp crumpled on the floor.

#JeniusJoe

Resist We Much on February 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM

More monumentally stupid advice from Sheriff Joe. Let me help you out, Joe. Here are the 4 rules of gun safety.

1. The gun is always loaded. Even if you think it is unloaded, it is still loaded until you verify its disposition.
2. Never point a gun at anything you do not wish to destroy.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond / behind your target.

Let’s not teach people to break those rules, Joe.

stvnscott on February 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I was able to shoot my BIL’s AR at Thanksgiving and was amazed by it’s smooth shooting. Almost effortless. My .38 will never shoot that smoothly if I shoot it for 100 yesrs.

megthered on February 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Just a point of fact, and someone may have already addressed this:

Machine guns are legal in the U.S.

JackM on February 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM

The Rogue Tomato on February 28, 2013

========================

Good one.

JackM on February 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM

The Postman Only Rings Once…

celt on February 28, 2013

==============================

Another good one.

JackM on February 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM

stvnscott on February 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM

+1011.

This isn’t even funny anymore. Slow Joe’s advice has now gone from stupid to downright dangerous. I’m convinced his total knowledge of firearm safety and operation comes from watching tv.

What next, “just shoot the gun out of the intruder’s hand”?

chigger76 on February 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM

A heavy door is going to slow the lighter load like birdshot. Not so much buckshot or slugs, but then you are getting a much harder to handle gun.

Fredlike on February 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM

This was my first thought. Second thought was gun safety 101: know exactly what you are shooting at and what is behind it before you pull the trigger.

Sockpuppet Politic on February 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Police Officer: What made you think you could just shoot through the door like that?

Citizen: Vice-President Joseph Biden said I could.

Police Officer: Down on the floor now!!! Put your hands behind your back and cross your ankles!!! I said now dirtbag!!!!!

JackM on February 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Don L on February 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Yep. IF you have a clean record, enough money, and a gun you want to purchase, in about 2-4 years the BATF might issue you a license.
It certainly can be accomplished. *grin*
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM

What next, “just shoot the gun out of the intruder’s hand”?

chigger76 on February 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Just bend backwards and dodge those bullets Matrix-style!

CurtZHP on February 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM

What next, “just shoot the gun out of the intruder’s hand”?

chigger76 on February 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM

With a shotgun, of course!

GWB on February 28, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Of course, we laughing at this bonehead, but there is a scary part; imagine this idiot in the White House, he’s only a heartbeat away…..then again, look what we got there now. Never mind….

norm1111 on February 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Haven’t read all the comments, so if someone else posted this, I’m backing them up. . . . what if you happen to have a steel door?

Trochilus on February 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM

The Surgeon General has decreed that Vice President Joe Biden is Dangerous to the Lives and Safety of mailmen and neighbors and pedestrians.

Steve Z on February 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM

May I suggest a Vice Presidential hunting trip, where Vice President Joe Biden will be accompanied by his predecessor in the office Dick Cheney? Place your bets on which one returns home alive!

Steve Z on February 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Herb on February 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM

How many times would Slow Joe be shot in effigy?

It would be the holiest picture in the pawn shop!

Steve Z on February 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Hey look, Thug. Could you come back and terrorize me and my family a little later on? Please?

Seems I forgot I had a reinforced steel door and when I tried to follow Joe Biden’s advice and shoot you with bird shot through it . . . surprise, surprise! Some of the damn pellets ricocheted and hit me right in my face. Ouch!

So I have to go down to the pharmacy and buy a good pair of tweezers and a new box of band-aids. Boy, I sure hope that was just a harmless piece of dust that hit my right eye! I can’t see a damned thing!

Trochilus on February 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM

OUT: CONDUCTOR JOE

IN: GUNSMOKE

philoise65 on February 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I usually find Joe Biden’s insane comments kind of amusing, but if ignorant people listen to him (and there is a lot of ignorance about guns out there) they could get themselves or someone else killed.

JackOfClubs on February 28, 2013 at 6:19 PM

‘Toon of the Day 1: The Gungrabbers’ Arguments Reduced To One Word

Resist We Much on February 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Warning shots. Great way to go to jail.

Not only does Joe Biden condone killing your neighbors’ wife by firing blindly through the door when she wakes you up, hungover at 6 am, because she needed someone to jump start her car to take the kids to school, he’s also a brilliant tactician who would have you empty your weapon (remember Joe favors the over/under) before you have any clear idea of the position or number of your assailants.

Sorry officer, turns out it was just a bird hitting the window. Did those pellets hit the school bus?

TexasDan on March 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Man in Delaware – Biden’s state – arrested for firing a shotgun in his back yard.

dentarthurdent on March 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Sorry, not going to “pump” my shotgun or rack the slide on my pistol in hopes of deterring or scaring an intruder. Not going to let the bad guy know I’m armed or where I’m at.

raz0r on March 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM

dentarthurdent on March 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM

When Beau Biden prosecutes him, he can plead insanity – he took Beau’s insane father’s advice.

Akzed on March 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Biden wouldn’t like my self-defense shotgun- a Saiga 12 with a 20-round drum mag, loaded with a mix of 00 buckshot, 1 ounce slugs, and Rhodesian jungle rounds (00 buckshot/BB mix).

It will chew up a door and anything behind it.

Anti-Statist on March 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Bidden says it is OK to fire a shot gun through a door at an unknown individual to protect your property from a preserve but unsubstantiated threat and it is OK to use deadly fores to protect ones life or some one else. Then is it OK for the intruder to use deadly force against the home owner to protect his life from the eminent treat of the home owner who’s actions have been sanctioned by no less then the Vice President of the United States.

jpcpt03 on March 2, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I finally get it. Biden is there to make Obama look reasonable.

shaken on March 2, 2013 at 11:02 PM