More self-defense advice from Joe Biden: “Just fire the shotgun through the door”

posted at 8:41 pm on February 27, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Because the advice he offered last week to simply “fire two blasts” outside the house wasn’t recklessly bogus enough, here’s the vice president expounding even further on his recommendations for in-home self-defense in an in-depth interview with Field & Stream on Monday (h/t Washington Examiner):

F&S: What about the other uses, for self-defense and target practice?

V.P. BIDEN: Well, the way in which we measure it is—I think most scholars would say—is that as long as you have a weapon sufficient to be able to provide your self-defense. I did one of these town-hall meetings on the Internet and one guy said, “Well, what happens when the end days come? What happens when there’s the earthquake? I live in California, and I have to protect myself.”

I said, “Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door.” Most people can handle a shotgun a hell of a lot better than they can a semiautomatic weapon in terms of both their aim and in terms of their ability to deter people coming. We can argue whether that’s true or not, but it is no argument that, for example, a shotgun could do the same job of protecting you. Now, granted, you can come back and say, “Well, a machine gun could do a better job of protecting me.” No one’s arguing we should make machine guns legal.

Honestly, did no one bother to inform the vice president, after his first round of similarly awful advice, that just blasting away on the back porch will 1) reveal your position, 2) leave you effectively disarmed, and 3) possibly get you into some legal trouble?

Personal anecdote, as a young woman of the sort at which the vice president heartily chuckled last week: I’m fairly handy with a twelve gauge, if I do say so myself — I’ve been using them for years on family shooting expeditions, so I’ve had plenty of practice time to get comfortable with them. Just this past Christmas, however, I had my first opportunity to try out an AR-15, and not knowing what to expect, I firmly nestled the ‘assault weapon’ into my shoulder, braced for impact, and… there was virtually no kick. Effortlessly accurate at both short and long distances, and easy to operate, too.

I would never argue that a shotgun is a good option for home defense and deterrence (especially those singularly musical sounds of a ready-to-go pump-action) in the case that a single intruder is bearing down on you, since it doesn’t take much precision at close range… but you better not miss. Tradeoffs, people.

And just firing the shotgun out the door when you think people might be looking to enter your home? …So much for “gun safety” advocacy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

…what a clown!

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM

If only Oscar Pistorius was American…

blammm on February 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM

If you can’t see what you’re shooting at, you better not pull the trigger.

Is this moron trying to get people to shoot their neighbors or children?

ButterflyDragon on February 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

…he’s our Vice-President!

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

This guy is the VP of the US…that’s insane

sadsushi on February 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Sounds like he was reading the latest on the “Blade Runner” case in the bathroom when he was called out to speak. Came out thinking, “yeah!!! That’s the ticket!! Just fire through the door! Hey, do I have anything in my teeth?”

waterytart on February 27, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Vice President Biden, what about your GAAAAAAFFFES?

steebo77 on February 27, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Sloe Joe strikes again!

KCB on February 27, 2013 at 8:46 PM

“I’m an idiot. I’m not kidding. It’s the truth.”

Paul-Cincy on February 27, 2013 at 8:47 PM

He’s a blithering idiot gaff machine.

MCGIRV on February 27, 2013 at 8:47 PM

the big buffer spring helps, eh, EJ?

ted c on February 27, 2013 at 8:48 PM

He also said that before you shoot the gun you should look directly down the barrel to see if there are any obstructions.

Mark1971 on February 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM

The amount of stupidity has me flabbergasted and absolutely pissed off right now.

He is the type of moron that makes all the wrong decisions with a firearm. He doesn’t have the slightest idea about protecting his home or his life with a firearm.

He “advice” is extremely dangerous and troubling and I cannot believe people are not calling him out on it.

ButterflyDragon on February 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM

A heartbeat from the presidency. Think about it.

bofh on February 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Could any of the trolls in favor of the ‘Assault Weapon’ Scam please explain how it’s not just a fraud meant to eviscerate the 2nd amendment given that there is no difference between those guns and the guns protected by the Constitution?

Galt2009 on February 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Just how superior does Obama need to feel to surround himself with the likes of idiots like Biden and Hagel or crooks like Lew? Cripes!

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Would any modern woman allow a MALE to tell her that when confronted with a attacker it is simply not fair to kick him in the nuts?

It that sounds ridiculous, then why would any modern woman allow THIS clown to define any limits of their defense.

kurtzz3 on February 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Hmmmm.

State Supreme Court wants NYS to show good cause that gun law is constitutional
BUFFALO, N.Y. (WKTV) – The Buffalo-based attorney who is spear-heading a lawsuit against Governor Andrew Cuomo’s recent gun laws said that Wednesday was “monumental,” as a State Supreme Court Justice issued an order requiring New York State to show good cause that the law is constitutional.

Galt2009 on February 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Seriously – if you’re an atheist, you kind of ought to look at all that’s going on – nothing but the notion that God is *really* pissed off at us can fully explain the barrage of utterly unexplainable nonsense that’s being done here.

In any ‘reality’ that we’ve ever known, these clowns wouldn’t be trusted with a butter knife – yet here we are, with them at the helm. It has to be divine retribution, lol.

Midas on February 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Yes, this guy can be very dumb. But, this is not a mistake. This is deliberate madness. This administration knows they can get away with saying and doing virtually anything. It is actually very disturbing to see what is going on. This is what happens when the media is under control by those in power. Those media members may be willing to be controlled, but it is absolutely control. I actually believe they are testing to see what they can get away with saying.

GiantOrb on February 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I like my Mossberg, but it can’t take somebody out at 500 yards.

tdarrington on February 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM

If only Oscar Pistorius was American…

blammm on February 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Maybe he can call Papa Joe as an expert witness.

tdarrington on February 27, 2013 at 8:55 PM

…John Kerry said it’s NOT un-American to be STUPID!……or something!

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2013 at 8:55 PM

This is so sad. Apparently the disconnect between his brain and his mouth is spreading to his trigger finger.

tommer74 on February 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM

No she should tell him she is menstruating, then pee herself. Everyone knows that.

tdarrington on February 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Is this sexist if since I’m a female? Move it to 33 seconds.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 8:58 PM

A heartbeat from the presidency. Think about it.

bofh on February 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM

This is literally the only reason I hope Obummah doesn’t choke on his arugula.

MelonCollie on February 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Has there ever been a dumber VP in the history of this country??

Seriously..name one and give examples.

Back in 2008 when this whole circus was being put together..Joe Biden?? Really?!!? LOL…

and here we are suffering through 8 years of these stupid pri#*s..

God Bless America…

BigWyo on February 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM

My face can’t take anymore “facepalms”!!!

Barred on February 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Is he that “Blade Runner’s” defense attorney now?

VorDaj on February 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Well, folks, Biden is just doing his best to justify Kerry’s statement about being stupid

Sergeant Major on February 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Our VP missed the recent news and Hamlet, too.

There is a beautiful lady dead and a guy with some legal troubles in South Africa. The problem was firing through a closed door.

As game show watchers or Literature majors could tell him, you never know what is behind curtain number one. Maybe Ophelia’s father?

IlikedAUH2O on February 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM

This is literally the only reason I hope Obummah doesn’t choke on his arugula.

MelonCollie on February 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I would rather have Joe than the cunning fascist who holds the office now.

tdarrington on February 27, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Those aren’t plugs, they’re brain leaks.

fogw on February 27, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I learned from the show Burn Notice that you don’t shoot through the door, you shoot outside the door jam where it isn’t reinforced, or something like that. Wait. Was that to break into a house or to protect it from the inside? Hmmm… I gotta take better notes.

Fallon on February 27, 2013 at 9:02 PM

waterytart on February 27, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Just spotted this. Yes, Bingo.

VorDaj on February 27, 2013 at 9:02 PM

tommer74 on February 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM

He already shoots from the lip, now he shoots from the hip.
(Dr. Suessisms are already dancing in my head)

I shoot through the door; I shoot in the air.
I am such a boor; is this really my hair?

I do not like engaging my brain. I do not like it one bit.

Paul-Cincy on February 27, 2013 at 9:02 PM

As id I needed further convincing. This man is an abject moron.

Bmore on February 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM

just fire the shotgun through the door.”

Biden must have been advising the blade runner dude.

As to home defense, a pistol with an 18 round mag is better than either a shotgun or an AR-15. Shoot a shotgun inside your house and you won’t be able to hear anything that happens in the ensuing minutes or hours. You will be dead in the water – deaf as a bat and as dumb as a Biden.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM

id=is,

Bmore on February 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM

4 ) Violating basic safety rules.
Never fire at a target you can not see unless you have absolutely no other option.

chimney sweep on February 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM

you don’t need a shotgun Erika, you need a whistle, that will protect you according to Democrats

gsherin on February 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I bet the Secret Service have to watch this imbecile every minute.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Gee, maybe I’m the ….if

Bmore on February 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM

LOL… In a sane world this man and his President will be cleaning the bathrooms in a restaurant( no offense of bathroom cleaners) rather than being a VP and President of the most powerful nation in history…

mnjg on February 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Has there ever been a dumber VP in the history of this country??

Seriously..name one and give examples.

and here we are suffering through 8 years of these stupid pri#*s..

God Bless America…

BigWyo on February 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM

It just shores up Obama’s image of being clueless and out of his league. The way he wants it.

tdarrington on February 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM

The pie is good though. ; )

Bmore on February 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Just spotted this. Yes, Bingo.

VorDaj on February 27, 2013 at 9:02 PM

I just spotted both of yours. Great minds …

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM

tdarrington on February 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM

While blowing a whistle and jabbing with pinking shears. It takes a little coordination, but you can do it girls!

katy the mean old lady on February 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Before he opens his mouth about firearms, he really should get advice from someone smarter than him.
Does he still have Sarah Palin’s phone number?

kurtzz3 on February 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM

My face can’t take anymore “facepalms”!!!

Barred on February 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM

*Newsflash* CPAC is cancelled this year!

The entire membership is recovering from slapping themselves silly.

Paul-Cincy on February 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM

He should have to go out and be filmed using a shotgun and an AR-15 to be made public.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM

If we don’t elect this guy, the hilarity we’d miss could haunt us to our graves.

Chuck Schick on February 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM

…the poor skeet!

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Hey Joe, my crazy aunt is no longer in my cellar. You look like you would fit in her smock!

itsspideyman on February 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Biden needs to go on a door to door tour of America to get to know Americans.

tom daschle concerned on February 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM

He has to eat anything he kills, including the skeet.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM

*ShotGun Joe* strikes again!!

canopfor on February 27, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I like my Mossberg, but it can’t take somebody out at 500 yards.

tdarrington on February 27, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Remington M700adl in 30-06 is good for 750 yards with the proper scope.

meci on February 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Speaking of shotguns,heres a nasty piece of work!!

UTS 15 Shotgun
***************

canopfor on February 27, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Good advice from Biteme..

Now if only our security had loaded weapons at Benghazi..
If only we had our security there.

If only…

Electrongod on February 27, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Buy a Shotgun, it’s easier he said…..

LifeTrek on February 27, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Hey Joe, didn’t your son serve in Iraq in the Army?

Isn’t one of the first basic rules of gun safety: DON’T SHOOT WHAT YOU CAN’T SEE!!!!

If you’re getting too senile to remember things like that you can always run them by your son or resign.

SgtSVJones on February 27, 2013 at 9:22 PM

maybe peeing or vomiting through the mail slot in the door will help… i mean, if it stops violent rapists it could stop an armed burglar. though perhaps one of these would be easier for the mens to do.

how about living in one of the numerous ‘home armed invasion free’ zones?

mittens on February 27, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Have had the opp to fire pretty much every caliber shotgun through doors, incl. most semi-autos.

- Vice-President Joe Biden

rogerb on February 27, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I’d love to let Jill shoot my NEF single in 3″ mag. Then send her home to Joe.

wolly4321 on February 27, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I love you biscuit. Too bad more women are not like you. Great that you are on HA.

arnold ziffel on February 27, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Real TOUGH on the pizza delivery guy!

michaelo on February 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM

A heartbeat from the presidency. Think about it.

bofh on February 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM

This is literally the only reason I hope Obummah doesn’t choke on his arugula.

MelonCollie on February 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM

And now you know why Slow Joe was hired…

clear ether

eon

eon on February 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Jeebus H Christopher. I hope they keep the sharp scissors away from this guy. For the first time I don’t want Dear Liar to resign and give him the White House. If you don’t understand basic gun safety rules you can’t have access to the nuclear codes.

rbj on February 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Biden’s doing this on purpose. He’s having fun with it because nobody can do a single thing about either him or Obama.

Dusty on February 27, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Always be aware of what is behind your target! *sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Where are all the gun hatin trolls on this post? Funny how they no be able to defend Shotgun Joe.

arnold ziffel on February 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM

What is it with Dems and the AR-14? (Rhetorical question)

4.2%: Percentage of ALL gun-related homicides in 2011 committed with shotguns.

3.8%: Percentage of ALL gun-related homicides in 2011 committed with rifles of ALL KINDS, INCLUDING “ASSAULT RIFLES.”

Gun Control: Well, The Trouble With Our Gun-Grabbing ‘Friends’ Is Not That They Are Ignorant, But That They Know So Much That Isn’t So.

Ask An “Educated” Gungrabber: Who’s More Dangerous – An American Woman With An Ar-15 Or A Nazi WIth A Sturmgewehr in 1942?

Resist We Much on February 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM

That’s how you kill your girlfriend, Joe, you jackass. It’s called an accidental shooting.

ExpressoBold on February 27, 2013 at 9:48 PM

There are a few edge cases where firing though or out a door would be OK, but mostly it is a recipe for a long long discussion with the legal system. Even if you wanted to shoot out the door an AR-15 would do as well or better than a shotgun. A heavy door is going to slow the lighter load like birdshot. Not so much buckshot or slugs, but then you are getting a much harder to handle gun.

Last time I visited the brother-in-law we took his AR-15 type rifle and shotgun out for some shooting, the AR-15 was much much easier to shoot and to bring up to aim. A double barrel shotgun would be easier to operate then the AR-15 or a pump shotgun but pretty slow to reload the third and fourth shots if needed.

Fredlike on February 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Obama needs Biden/Kerry/Hagel/Lew

They make Obama appear ‘smart’.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Biden’s mouth is a scattergun.

profitsbeard on February 27, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Note to Girl Scouts: Skip the Biden house.

Peri Winkle on February 27, 2013 at 10:18 PM

That worked out great for Oscar Pistorius and his deceased girlfriend.

OxyCon on February 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM

This guy is the VP of the US…that’s HE’S insane.

sadsushi on February 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

minor fix. :)

Solaratov on February 27, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Shut your stupid mouth Biden. Ignorant jackass.

No wait, keep shooting off your mouth. Then when someone follows your stupid advice, they can say THE VICE PRESIDENT SAID I COULD!

TX-96 on February 27, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I’m still waiting for something INTELLIGENT to come out of Joey’s mouth.

Luckily, I’m not holding my breath.

GarandFan on February 27, 2013 at 10:36 PM

WHY is Sarah Palin NOT shaming this freakin moron in the public arena? The most ridiculed woman in America should constantly expose these dumbocrats and their sponsored media for the dishonest frauds they are.

This story would make national headlines ( and Stewart/ Mahr) if SHE said something like this………….

Why won’t she call out these liberal socialist ahole idiots when they give her the opportunity ?

Attack these fools at every turn.

FlaMurph on February 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Isn’t blindly firing a gun through a door why that South African “blade runner” is on trial for murder????

kd6rxl on February 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM

The man is a moron. And our Vice President. The Founders weep.

tngmv on February 27, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Every time Shotgun Joe opens his mouth it goes off. I can just picture the first shift of his SS detail rolling to the sides of the door when they knock. Behold – these are the people who know how to save us from ourselves.

ghostwalker1 on February 27, 2013 at 10:52 PM

At least he’s not stupid and unqualified like Sarah Palin. We sure dodged a bullet there.

CJ on February 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM

It’s just as well that a shotgun blast can knock a small woman flat on her ass, because the little darling doesn’t really know when she’s in danger anyway. Better to take out the door rather than the man who’s probably not a rapist.

Zoomie on February 27, 2013 at 11:22 PM

A heartbeat from the presidency. Think about it.

bofh on February 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Especially if the President knocks on Biden’s door some night.

jackmac on February 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Biden: If your attacker is at the door, pee on yourself

Bulletchaser on February 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM

NOW can we call liberalism a mental disease? Check out the affiliations of all the mass killers. Democratic ties all…

psychocyber on February 28, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Someone is going to shoot and kill a pizza boy or someone like that, through the door, mistaking the victim for a threat.

The shooter will then resort to the “Biden Defense”, as in just following old Shotgun Joe’s advice.

The defense will of course be rejected, but offering it will also result in a court taking judicial notice that the Vice President is an idiot upon whose advice no reasonable person could rely.

Reassuring, isn’t it?

novaculus on February 28, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Yeah, unless its the cops/feds. Then they’ll put you on trial for murder. Look up the Ryan Frederick case in VA. Good luck there Sheriff Joe if they bust down your door with a no knock warrant and you fire blindly thinking you’re being robbed.

oryguncon on February 28, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Hey Moron Joe or as I like to call him MOJO. didn’t that Blade Runner guy in South Africa fire blindly through the door. I suggest your wife Jill get a bulletproof vest, living with you, Super Genius.

stormridercx4 on February 28, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Biden is quite an act. He free-associates and actually forms sentences, but journalists act as if there was some meaning behind Biden’s babble.

He probably is linking this to the Pistorius murder in his mind, knowing, as he does, how we all fear being invaded by supermodels.

virgo on February 28, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Funny thing about this. Biden’s last answer was to the readers of Parent magazine, who might conceivably be unfamiliar enough with firearms to take his “advice” seriously. Although I wouldn’t really count on that.

But the readers of Field and Stream tend to be familiar with firearms, and therefore firearms safety. I imagine almost all of them who read this will think Biden is a real idiot.

Not that I would ever argue that point….

tom on February 28, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Is this sexist if since I’m a female? Move it to 33 seconds.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I think most women who fire a 12-gauge for the first time will have a similar reaction. It takes some getting used to.

A 20-gauge would be better, but it’s still got a lot of kick.

The difference in recoil is very significant. I wouldn’t want people to get the impression there’s no recoil on an AR-15, but it’s much less than a 12-gauge. So it’s probably a better choice for self-defense for women who are not used to a 12-gauge.

Biden seems to assume like a lot of liberals that “semiautomatic” is a synonym for “automatic.” It would be hard to shoot a fully automatic AR-15, which is exactly why the military long ago switched their M-16 to 3-round burst instead of full auto.

But there’s no such thing as a fully automatic AR-15, so Biden’s statement remains nonsense.

tom on February 28, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Considering how much anything he says makes sense or is believable I’ve taken to calling him Joe Isuzu.

{^_^}