Krauthammer: C’mon, let Christie speak at CPAC

posted at 10:41 am on February 27, 2013 by Allahpundit

Just putting a bow here on all the Christie/CPAC coverage lately until the man himself finally chimes in, which should be soon. Over at the Times, Nate Silver argues that the conservative romance was Christie is ending essentially because it was always based on a lie:

[W]hat seems to have changed is the salience of different issues, as driven by major news events over the past year.

Mr. Christie has long been an advocate of gun-control policies, for example. But that issue has become far more relevant since the shootings in Newtown, Conn.

Mr. Christie has also taken moderate positions on immigration. Immigration was an issue in the 2012 campaign, but it seems to have grown in importance now, after the poor performance of the Republicans with Hispanic voters November, and the push by President Obama and by some Republicans in Congress for immigration legislation…

Contrast this to the political climate in late 2011, when Mr. Christie was winning praise from conservatives for his statements toward teachers’ unions — an issue that was then in the news because of the protests against efforts by Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin to curtail benefits for public-sector unions in that state. Mr. Christie also takes relatively conservative views on gay marriage and abortion, social issues that had the stage more to themselves in 2011, but which may have to compete more against immigration and gun control in the next political cycle.

Silver’s conclusion: If there’s anyone out there capable of making a third-party run kinda sorta viable, it’s Christie. Needless to say, I agree. You’ll know he’s thinking about that if he decides to double down on gun control in the next year or two. That’ll antagonize conservatives even further but it’ll also endear him to Bloomberg, who can marshal Wall Street money for him and who could, singlehandedly, fund a pro-Christie Super PAC to level the playing field with the major parties. In fact, his richest supporters are sticking with him, for now:

Ken Langone, the billionaire Home Depot founder and influential Christie donor, and Tom Kean, the former New Jersey governor and longtime Christie mentor, remain bullish on his political future. In interviews with National Review Online, both men say Christie remains a leading contender for the Republican nomination.

“If the governor can expand Medicaid without disrupting his budget and without raising taxes, then I don’t have a problem,” Langone says. “To the critics, I say, ‘give me a break.’ If conservatives are going to criticize him for doing what’s right for his state, then we’re on our way to becoming a minority party.”

Langone says he and several other prominent donors think Christie has the best shot of winning a presidential general election, and they’ll stick with him, even if some conservatives start to rule out the 50-year-old governor.

Still, despite the antagonism with righties, an indie bid would still be harder than winning the Republican nomination. In spite of everything, there may still be a constituency for him inside the GOP:

p

Note that 36 percent. Not all of them would be instant Christie voters, but then not all of the 62 percent on the other side would be implacably opposed to him either. If conservatives splinter over Rubio, Ryan, Jindal, and Paul, then ~30 percent or so makes a contender. And if the answer to that is that the base would never turn out for him if he won the nomination, well, read this. The base is very, very, very forgiving of apostates when the alternative is another four years of Democratic rule. Plus, there may be some block of Republican voters who are thinking this way:

Christie could do worse than aspire to the role that Clinton played for Democrats in 1992. The young Arkansas governor was perceived as the solution to a problem that had dogged Democrats for 20 years by then. Before the primary that year in New Hampshire, one liberal Democrat after another told me that their hearts belonged to Tom Harkin or Bob Kerrey or Jerry Brown, but they were going to vote for Clinton. They were tired of losing with stereotypical liberals who were easily caricatured as soft on crime and defense, and they saw the Southern moderate as a game-changer.

Some centrists might back him purely for that reason, less because they love the candidate himself than because of the party reorientation he would represent. Because of that, with the possible exception of Rand Paul, he’ll be the most interesting Republican to watch for the next year or two. Does he tack back to the right after his reelection to try to atone with conservatives? Or does he actually inch a bit further to the center by partnering with Bloomy on guns, or “evolving” on gay marriage, or maybe pushing reform on marijuana laws to try to get the attention of younger Republicans? He’s got to pick a brand before other people pick it for him.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

NO. If you let him, ou might as well let Biden speak there, as well.

kingsjester on February 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Oh please.

Pork-Chop on February 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Quit trying to redefine Conservatism.

kingsjester on February 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Does he tack back to the right after his reelection to try to atone with conservatives? He’s got to pick a brand before other people pick it for him.

It’s too late for that. If he’d kept his mouth shut until November and not accepted the Medicaid funding for Obamacare, he could’ve maybe recovered from the Obama lovefest and the trashing of the House GOP over the Sandy porkbarrel bill(that at least could be justified as a concerned governor looking out for his own citizens).

But the Medicaid stuff, the Cuomo 98% remark, hell even the photoop with Moochelle, it’s all too much. He’s staked his position going forward and it’s the same end of the political spectrum as Jon Huntsman. Time will tell if he fares better in a GOP Presidential primary than that dude, but I have my doubts.

Doughboy on February 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Well.. This is one RINO who will never vote for Christie in either a primary or general election. I’m fine with people having different opinions over social issues. I’m not fine with Christie endorsing Obama in 2012. And I’m not forgiving about the endorsement issue.

Illinidiva on February 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I have not paid any attention to CPAC in years as I view it as little more than a fun weekend for College Republicans. But, I have a feeling that if Christie spoke, he would be roundly (a proper description if there ever was one) booed.

bw222 on February 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Yeah, yeah, yeah! Christie and his supporters are all ensconced in the Wall Street-D.C. Corridor and hardly represent the nation as a whole! Don’t try to obfuscate by suggesting that Langone is someone with stroke in fly-over country!

tomshup on February 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM

How about Krauthammer, Christie, Cupp, and GOProud create their own conference then?

To me that’s more conservative than trying to hijack a private entity’s function.

JohnTant on February 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM

If The King of Blue State Republicanism Mitt Romney is at CPAC, I don’t know why Prince Blue Elephant can’t be there either.

portlandon on February 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Christie is a RINO plain and simple, it won’t be long before he changes party to Dem…

He may have done some good for NJ, but now his true colours are showing…

I have lost respect for the man a while ago…

Scrumpy on February 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM

The base is forgiving? Then how did Obama get reelected with his record? Also, has anyone worked into the equation what the media will do to him if it looks like his popularity starts to improve?

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM

If he puts the NJ teacher unions and public employees on Medicaid, I might be more forgiving.

monalisa on February 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Excellent points.

kingsjester on February 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM

you’re really obsessed with this christie thing AP. I think if he runs against Rubio in the GOP nomination, he loses. All you have to do is have a hug obama ad. And he knows he’d never win an indie bid.

Flapjackmaka on February 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM

portlandon on February 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Because he hasn’t claimed to be “severely” conservative? Also, it’s one thing to shake Obama’s hand, blow some smoke in his ear to get as much money for your state as you can, but to continually plant wet ones all over him, is a touch unseemly.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Krauthammer: C’mon, let Christie speak at CPAC

Hey Charles you bonehead, how about we invite Barky McDogeater and Noam Chomsky while were at it. What could possibly go wrong, right?

SWalker on February 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Krauthammer believes the Republican Party must go “big tent” not only to prosper, but also merely to survive.

He’s right, of course, not that the tiny TruCon minority wants to hear it.

Meredith on February 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Why waste the jet fuel? Why would speaking at CPAC help Christie in any way? He has no conservative credentials at this point, so he’s lost that crowd.

Vera71 on February 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Doughboy on February 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Probably better. I’m concerned about a NH blowout ala McCain in 2000 myself, but NH really hates frontrunners. I don’t think that he would win the nomination, but I’m looking for humilitiating defeat.

Illinidiva on February 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I actually respect Christie because he is firm on his beliefs and unapologetic in the defense of them. I don’t see him as a Rino. He is an ACTUAL Moderate/Liberal Republican. He’s never campaigned otherwise.

Mitt Romney on the other hand is such a weak, weasely, soft RINO who panders and flip flops on all of his stances. He’ll say anything to anyone if he thinks it will get him anywhere. He distances himself from his own stances, and won’t stand up for them.

I say throw Mitt out, and let Christie speak.

portlandon on February 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM

So, will Christie support Bloomie’s “Big Gulp” ban..?

d1carter on February 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I totally agree. Christie’s a true Moderate/Liberal Republican. Upalogetically so. I’ve never thought him to be a Conservative.

I can respect him for that.

portlandon on February 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Yet again, Chris Creosote.

Bmore on February 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Flapjackmaka on February 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Rubio has a knack for drawing opponents who enjoy having PDAs with Obama. Are we sure that he doesn’t have special Cuban mind rays that force his opponents to self-destruct?

Illinidiva on February 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Flapjackmaka on February 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Yeah but if he goes independent will he siphon of more deme voters than repubs?

Corsair on February 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM

So, will Christie support Bloomie’s “Big Gulp” ban..?

d1carter on February 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Absolutely, and he’ll support it in true self anointed political aristocrat fashion… I.e. Big Gulps for me, but not for thee…

SWalker on February 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM

portlandon on February 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I agree with what you say in part. He has never misrepresented himself. That said, the only thing he could justifiably say at CPAC is that conservatives are wrong in his opinion. That the government is here to help us all if we will just let it. That’s not a message I think, or hope, that conservatives want to embrace. I wish him well in New Jersey but I am not interested in seeing him translated nationwide.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM

portlandon on February 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Lol

SparkPlug on February 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM

It think Christie should show up and say that. And the Conservatives can openly and loudly boo his message. It could be a watershed moment for the party.

portlandon on February 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM

But Mittens shouldnt be near CPAC

Flapjackmaka on February 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I wrote this on AP’s hand-wringing over Christie on another thread.

Christie isn’t invited because he would cause a small war within CPAC. That’s enough to NOT invite him to the party.

CPAC is a RALLY for conservatives and there is no better rally killer on the right than Christie who just finished backstabbing the right and Romney along with his Sandy tantrum months after the hurricane he couldn’t wait to strip out pork.

ONCE AGAIN ALLAHPUNDIT HE ISN’T WELCOME BECAUSE HE’S DIVISIVE FOR CONSERVATIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s not an “equal time ” forum for candidates!!!!

It’s a feel good rally!!!

Conan on February 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I thought CPAC stood for CONSERVATIVE political action committee not Republican political action committe. Thus, being a Pub shouldn’t be an automatic ticket to admission if one can hardly be called a conservative. Christe’s acts in turning on Romney in the waning days of the campaign and essentially endorsing Obama on the Hurricane thing makes him dead to me and should to all conservatives. Get in the boat with Fredo, we have no use for you Krispy Cream.

tommyboy on February 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I was going to say, “If he runs for President, it will take him two trips”, but, that would be rude.

So, never mind.

kingsjester on February 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM

He’s got to pick a brand before other people pick it for him.

He’s already picked his brand: backstabbing, self-aggrandizing blowhard.

cicerone on February 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I can respect him for that.

portlandon on February 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Christie is a straight up flat out liberal POLITICIAN, he saw a exploitable opening in the NJ financial mess, and entered politics large as a republican, because New Jersey voters absolutely would never have voted for him as a Democrat running against Jon “I stole all your money” Corzine.

SWalker on February 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Yeah but if he goes independent will he siphon of more deme voters than repubs?

Corsair on February 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM

And which candidate did Crist hurt most in FL? It certainly wasn’t the Savior.

Illinidiva on February 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I say throw Mitt out, and let Christie speak.

portlandon on February 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I say we throw them both out and focus on highlighting Conservatives and Conservative ideas such as smaller government.

Corsair on February 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM

portlandon on February 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Because Romney has not recently turned on the conservatives and stabbed them in the back like Christie has. Romney is not on record CONDEMNING conservatives recently.

Why is there such a problem seeing Christie in his own category for his actions?

It is pretty obvious to me why they don’t want him there and it has NOTHING to do with conservative purity!

Conan on February 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Who were these “conservatives” that were in love with Christie. I want names! Seriously, I’ve always looked at Christie as one of those people the left tells conservatives that they should be in love with. They then spend a lot of media time building on that theme.

I heard Chris Matthews start a sentence yesterday with “I think that Republicans…..” I don’t know what he said after that because all I could think was that I didn’t give a flying fig about what some beta male dyed-in-the-wool liberal propagandist thought about Republicans.

The same holds true here. I don’t care what the so-called centrists think. Christie proved himself a traitor when he essentially endorsed Obama days before the general election. He slobbered all over the rat-eared wonder thanking him for all the support that NJ was getting from him (not the administration or the federal government but Obama). And it was all based on a lie. At the very moment the two lazy cowards were embraced in a man hug among the vacation homes of wealthy NYers, FEMA couldn’t even provide water to the people really hit by Hurricane Sandy. The final betrayal was when Christie opted to call and congratulate the rat-eared wonder on his win the evening of the election but sent an e-mail the next day to Romney.

CPAC certainly should feature all points of view but I would think there is way too much hatred among true conservatives to have it turn out well if the rotund Benedict Arnold were to be a speaker.

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

He’s right, of course, not that the tiny TruCon minority wants to hear it.

Meredith on February 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I’m for a big tent myself, but we have to have some standards when it comes to who’s allowed in that tent. I asked yesterday in another thread and I’ll repeat it today. Why is CRISTie in the Republican Party? He’s pro-gun control, pro-amnesty, soft on Islamic radicalism, and now apparently is at least somewhat ok with Obamacare. Again, why is he a Republican?

Doughboy on February 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Makes a sane person want to scream. By what definition is a gathering under the name of CPAC obliged to include every Republican?

Christie may be liked by many moderate REPUBLICANS/RINOs but that doesn’t necessarily mean all Conservatives are required to like him. He may be popular in NJ – which is a blue state but that doesn’t make him anything other than a moderate.

Let him speak at meetings of Republicans. Isn’t CPAC supposed to be the place people discuss how they are going to further conservative positions? If that’s the case – why would Christie be a good choice?

katiejane on February 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

portlandon on February 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Hmmm, I don’t think I want to encourage our folks to act like Democrats. I’m too old to endorse open rudeness.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

He’s right, of course, not that the tiny TruCon minority wants to hear it.

Meredith on February 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM

We did “Big Tent” for eight years under Dubya and lost the last two presidential elections with two vapid Big Tenters.

Meanwhile, the Democrats won the last two presidential elections appealing to their liberal base. Oh, and they trounced the Big Tenters in ’06 which paved the way for Obamacare.

Look, you guys lost; can’t run a campaign at the national level; and certainly cannot govern when given the gavel. Krauthammer, Christie, and other Big Government neoconservatives need to exit stage left now and give someone else a shot.

Punchenko on February 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Yes, well Sheldon Adelson makes $300-400 million per day and can easily keep up with anything Bloomnutz tries to foist. For the right candidate, of course.

HopeHeFails on February 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

1. Why does Mr. Krauthamer need or require the Dr. many get by without that.

2. Birds of a feather flock together and all that.

ON A POSITIVE NOTE:

This one is a good idea and the price is right.

pass this on, plus we do not need Cristy Cream Christy or Dr. Who’s ok to do so.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM

The tent is not large enough in this case for many reasons some seen some he hides in the folds of his over sized ass.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM

katiejane on February 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Pretty easy logic. You can have positions that aren’t 100% in line with conservatives but you CAN’T betray conservatives altogether for political gain and then be re-embraced for it.

Seriously folks if you aren’t going to even be uninvited to CPAC for what Christie did what is the point and where is the backbone that would make ANY of our public officials throw ALL of us under the bus? I remind everyone how much we all hate it and now we excuse it in its most grievous form.

Conan on February 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM

=====================================

NightMarish,and maybe Christie will try,the Clinton’s
Triangulation angle!
(sarc)

canopfor on February 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM

This is NOT a REPUBLICAN gathering. It is a CONSERVATIVE gathering. Let them invite who them damn well please. All you big tent people…..how about stop trying to diminish the only part of the GOP that separates them from the Democrats.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I don’t know… If you look at the 2012 presidential elections, Benedict Arnold seems to finally have become a national hero. How many so called conservatives proudly voted either for Obama directly or indirectly via third party in an effort to bring it all down faster?

SWalker on February 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I still don’t understand why anyone cares all that much who speaks. It is dumb to deny him a spot while offering ones to others, who I wouldn’t necessarily call ‘all stars’ either, but whatever.

changer1701 on February 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Do you want to listen to the guy who kisses Obama’s behind or the guy who dressed him down at CPAC?

RedRobin145 on February 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM

How about we just line up donuts along the way to “Kyrzakhstan” and let him follow the trail.

HerneTheHunter on February 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM

changer1701 on February 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Because it is a Conservative COnvention and Governor Zeppelin is not a Conservative.

kingsjester on February 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Again, why is he a Republican?

Doughboy on February 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Same reason that Herr Doktor Paul is a Republican… It’s the only way he could get elected.

SWalker on February 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Hot D*mn,Christies not on the Target List!

A Major Conservative Group Is Targeting ‘Big Government’ Republicans
8 minutes ago
**************

canopfor on February 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM

And guess who was invited to CPAC in 2011 and declined to attend?

I don’t recall Kraut-hammering Christie to change his mind back then.

Carnac on February 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Floating the idea that Christie should speak at CPAC is about as dumb as …

‘MICHELLE OBAMA SHOULD BE CONSIDERED FOR SUPREME COURT’

Oh my.

Pork-Chop on February 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I’m too old to endorse open rudeness.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

LOL. You’re also a kind person. =)

Me? I’m a street fighter. I break the handle off the shiv afterwards. /

portlandon on February 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM

The funny thing is that everyone loved him because he didn’t “take” the crap from the press and the teachers unions in New Jersey. Everyone ate his feistiness (yes I invented a word) up with a spoon. I’m looking at you Ms. Coulter. But they didn’t get any of that when it came to the Convention.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Christie will fall off the map when he loses his reelection bid anyway. His approval rating means nothing in a deep blue state like Jersey. Unless the Democrats are forced to run Corzine, or someone just as obviously corrupt, against him then Christie will lose.

Liberals have the same attitude toward Republicans as many Muslims do with Christians which is that if they have any choice they will not be ruled over by one no matter how fair and reasonable.

Rocks on February 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM

JohnTant on February 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM

That’s a fantastic idea except for one thing – they are not conservatives by any definition of “conservative”. They are barely republicans.

kim roy on February 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I dislike this man more and more. Who made him the conscience of the GOP? What pure audacity!
Charles, there was a darned good reason Christ didn’t give Satan equal time at the Sermon on the Mount. One would think that with all your supposed wisdom, you would have recognized that simple reality.

Don L on February 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Punchenko on February 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Remember near the end of the election where Obama went hard at his base and how we (myself included) laughed and laughed. “He has his base” we said.

Who’s laughing now?

These bozos don’t know how to win and don’t want to learn. We were given a clinic in what the base means in 2012 yet they’re still whining about “big tent”.

How about you worry about your base first.

kim roy on February 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Don L on February 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM

He has doctor in front of his name and has Harvard in his pedigree, it’s mandatory that we listen to him. I actually like to listen to him……I just don’t always agree with him.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Ummm, yea, about that “Everyone”… I’ve said pretty much from day one, that Krispy Cream is a obnoxious rude puke. More importantly, I’ve also made it a repeated point to highlight Krispy Creams profoundly anti-Conservative firearms position and his snuggle-bunny love-fest mentality toward Islamic terrorists. The man is not a conservative, not even remotely close, was only elected as a Republican because it was the only way he could even run against Jon “I stole all you money” Corzine.

Chris Christie is only Conservative or a Republican in the same twisted sense that he is suffering from anorexia nervosa.

SWalker on February 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM

How about you worry about your base first.

kim roy on February 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM

And our base doesn’t even want monthly payments. We’re a cheap date and these people are too stupid to realize it.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM

CPAC started barreling towards irrelevancy before the Christie snub. Anyone who puts their eggs in the CPAC basket is wasting their time. They’re a small tent and won’t have the slightest positive impact on 2014 or 2016. If it’s fashionable for folks to consider a third party to replace the GOP, let’s consider creating another organization to replace CPAC. Aside from an occasional Ann Coulter firebrand speech, they’re good for nothing.

joejm65 on February 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM

SWalker on February 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I am proud to say that I am on record as not being enamored and pointed out that Ms. Coulter like him because he and she are actually the same person. Rhetorically speaking, of course.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Christie and the storm sank romney. Chris did everything he could to make the president look like a saint.

Rusty Allen on February 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Don L on February 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM

And Obama has President as title with his name, but I make it a rule (my health reasons) never to listen to such professional deceivers, though I’ll await your view on such things.

By the way CK’s Doctor degree is in Psychiatry not politics

Don L on February 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM

joejm65 on February 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Yep, you’re right, keep saying that they aren’t needed. Pres. McCain and Pres. Romney agree with you.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM

SWalker on February 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Don’t get me started on the idiots who were too ideologically pure to vote for Romney over Obama. They, IMO, are part of the parasite class just as much as Sandra Fluke or any other single issue voter. Except that instead of voting for the rat-eared wonder because he promises amnesty, free contraception, or the attempt to legitimize sodomite “marriage” as a societal norm; they voted against Romney because he was too Mormon or something.

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Don L on February 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Ah…. But you see, there is the rub. Charles Krauthammer is not a Conservative, he is a pragmatic true centrist Moderate.

Guess how many large organized middle of the road squishy moderate conventions there are for moderates like Krauthammer to attend and give voice to their ideologies…

SWalker on February 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

What core principles do we see from Christie which identify him as “Republican” much less as “Conservative”???

Yeah, he fooled alot of people. I’m embarrassed to say he fooled me too. But when push came to shove, it turned out that he’s just another greasy politician who’s happy to help himself to taxpayer money or embrace socialist policy if it benefits his own political aspirations.

Krauthammer refers to Christie’s public display with Barack Obama in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy as a “lapdance”… and I’d have to agree, as unfortunate and graphic as the mental imagery might be. So, why would we want him back? It wasn’t necessary. It’s not as if New Jersey would’ve been denied whatever help the federal government was obligated to give it.

The only conclusion one is left to draw is that Christie would benefit personally by doing it. He’d get the benefit of public approval by bringing home a larger relief package and hamstring a Republican rival in the process, leaving him well-positioned for 2016. Smart plan. But where are the principles? Where’s the integrity?

We’ll have had EIGHT YEARS of unrelenting manipulation by a guy who thinks he’s smarter than the rest of us by the close of 2016. Eight years of unbridled political hackery without a virtue in sight. Either the public will have had enough, or it will have become accustomed to it. I expect Christie is betting on the latter, and I’m not sure he won’t be right.

For a brief moment in 2010, with the emergence of the Tea Party, it really looked like people were shrugging off their apathy and demanding principled governance, a return to our founding ideals of limited government and fiscal responsibility. People might argue on Christie’s behalf that he should be included at CPAC, but clearly he does NOT embody those virtues. There doesn’t appear to be a principle anywhere on the guy.

Murf76 on February 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Why is it that the MORAL are always required to subvert themselves in the name of helping their enemies?

Christie is a Republican, not a conservative. CPAC is about promoting CONSERVATISM, not the progressive wing of the Republican party.

astonerii on February 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Chris did everything he could to make the president look like a saint.

Rusty Allen on February 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Well, not exactly everything. I’m guessing they didn’t have an Obama/Biden 2012 t-shirt in his size.

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Heh, you do draw visual humor quite well when you say such. My weird mind went immediately to a reverse “Jack Spratt could eat no fat-his wife could eat no lean” kindergarten poem.

Don L on February 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM

By the way CK’s Doctor degree is in Psychiatry not politics

Don L on February 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Hey, doctor is doctor, doncha know. Just like the Harvard thing. Don’t ever wait on my views but they are worth what you pay for them. Are they deceivers if they really believe it?

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM

SWalker on February 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH……….. So, are you suggesting that there is a Fat Ann Coulter trying to claw her way to the surface of Ann? Or a skinny Krispy Creme trying to fight his way past all the pasta and Flan?

SWalker on February 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM

No, it took an acre of cotton just to spell governor on his sloppy sweatshirt.

Rusty Allen on February 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM

In reading many posts here from posters concerned about englarging the “republican” tent so the party will survive, I can’t help but sense a sort of desperation. I could give a fig about the republican party or their strategists, consultants, etc. which has turned into nothing but a junior partner with the democrats in embracing and sucking off the teat of big government as a way to easy, entitled living. CPAC was started by conservatives as an alternative to big government republicans and that is how it should stay. That means NO Christie.

KickandSwimMom on February 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM

He promoted himself throughout the convention; raised expectations for Romney’s debate; and then gave Barry a photo-op and gushed over meeting Bruce Springsteen. Inviting him to CPAC would be courting a disaster for the media to jump on to knock the GOP:

“Christie booed at CPAC!”

“GOP Civil War Continues!”

Joe Scarborough: I just want to say, Mika, that I’m ashamed of conservatives.

Mika: Derp?

Joe Scarborough: I mean, here you have a New Jersey governor pulling, what, 70% approval? And he’s booed at CPAC by a bunch of extremists.

Mika: Derpy derp derp.

Joe Scarborough: I just want my party back, that’s all. We need to be the party of tax-and-spend, gun control, late term abortions, and flying to the Dominican Republic for sex with whoever. That’s how you win elections, and Chris Christie get’s that.

Mark Halperin: Sex with prostitutes in the Dominican Republic polls well in the latest Wall St. Journal/NBC News poll, Joe.

Joe Scarborough: It’s just sad what extremists do with their extreme ways. We need a Big Tent with Dominican prostitutes and fat men with girly crushes on aging music icons — that’s what the GOP needs going forward.

Punchenko on February 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Krauthammer – REMEMBER – is an Elitist. He USED to be a Democrat, Liberal Elitist - then he switched sides.

Elitists are ALL the same - there is no measurable Party Affiliation Differentiation.

Christie – is an ELITIST.

So, it’s not surprising that his soul-mate in Elitism, Krauthammer – is DEFENDING him.

Allahpundit is an ELITIST – or a Liberal Elitist Clinger, at best. So – it’s not surprising that he is pushing this Narrative from his Fellow Elitists.

williamg on February 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM

KickandSwimMom on February 27, 2013 at 11:38 AM

And CPAC should be concerned about enlarging the “tent” of conservatives to include pushing the message of how conservative ideas are relevant to single issue voters, minorities and women (the largest portion of the parasite class that just voted for the rat-eared wonder).

Christie is no conservative.

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM

There seems to be a lot of whining going on in the moderate/liberal wing of the Republican party.

Rose on February 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Punchenko on February 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Yep. Is there anyway we can retroactively rescind Scarborough’s speeches at CPAC? I think you might have represented Mika being far more intellectually deep than she actually is.

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM

In all seriousness, Christie is a prime candidate for a massive cardiac event. He might not even make it to the next convention. Would he release his health record if it was bad?

He also looks like a slob in my opinion and America takes looks into consideration whether right or wrong, but he just doesn’t look Presidential. He has a personality that only Ann Coulter could love.

hip shot on February 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Let him talk at CPAC.

As long as he’s willing to do Q&A afterwards.

The problem with Christie is he’s a grandstander.

Make him answer questions from conservatives, not union lefties, and let’s see how he does.

He’ll go for the soundbyte and that can either provide a moment of clarity for everyone, or end his aspirations.

If he comes across like Giuliani, he can be rather formidable. If he comes across like Bloomberg, he’s done.

My gut says the latter.

budfox on February 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Joe Scarborough: I just want to say, Mika, that I’m ashamed of conservatives.

You’re not a conservative. So your affected “shame” is meaningless (beyond being a dishonest substitute for “contempt”). As in, “I just want to say, Mika, I have nothing but contempt for conservatives. As if this wasn’t clear already.”

rrpjr on February 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Unless we feel the Obama destruction before 2016, Christie could win the GOP nomination based on the McRomney principle, which is that ‘the across the aisler’ will be anointed by the GOP-hating media.

And Team Christie will assume that you and I will still vote for him over Hillary Clinton, like Team McCain and Romney before him, no matter how he offends us.

And Christie and the GOP will fail to realize that Dems are still going to vote Hillary Clinton, low-info, non-political women will vote for the woman, and New Jersey is still going to vote (D) Ms. Clinton.

LetsBfrank on February 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Rose on February 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Yeah, they LOVE being in charge, they just can’t seem to win anything though. They’ll figure it out eventually./

Cindy Munford on February 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Before elections, establishment types are always whining about the need for unity and big tents for the Republican party. The typical line is “Don’t point out Romney’s a liberal because the vote is for Obama or Not Obama!” Now they’re whining about having a big tent… at a conservative conference about as far from a election as you can get.

sauldalinsky on February 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM

williamg on February 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM

That is easily the worst definition of elitism I’ve ever read.

budfox on February 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Just like Charlie Crist decided that it would be totally a good idea to publicly embrace Obama in 2009 and support Porkulus. After all, he’d get some bi-partisan cred and would look really electable. That turned out really well for his political career.

Christie is going to be regretting that hug with Obama about November 2015 when Reclaim America’s commercials go up on the air.*

*As a sidenote, Rubio would really like to thank Christie for publicly embracing Obama. Not only did Christie screw Mitt Romney’s chances in 2012 which really helped Rubio’s in 2016, but Christie also provided all those helpful pictures. The Savior would send Krispy Kreme a fruit basket, but he is concerned that Krispy might take it as an insult.

Illinidiva on February 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Punchenko on February 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Sadly, you nailed it. The so-called Democrat wannabe Republicans lecturing the rest of us that we are being unreasonable about wanting secure borders, deporation of illegals, respect for the Second Amendment, the ability to worship or faith freely, the sanctity of traditional marriage etc.

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM

My gut says the latter.

budfox on February 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Just what I was thinking. Invite him as a means of education. If he refuses to come, that would say something, too. No lose.

rrpjr on February 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM

He’s right, of course, not that the tiny TruCon minority wants to hear it.

Meredith on February 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Krathammer is not a conservative, but a neocon. He worked for Carter and Mondale.

bw222 on February 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM

It is as if they are in their own little world up there in the NE Corridor, isolated from the reality going on in the Heartland.

kingsjester on February 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM