Good news: There’s hope for civilization

posted at 9:21 pm on February 27, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

You have to look outside the Beltway, of course, but occasionally there’s a glimmer.

Pat Wesner is a mother of four, with one grown, disabled son in her care and another serving in Afghanistan. On Tuesday, she stumbled on the perfect crime when $11,000 fell off a Brinks truck with no one around to see it.

“If you saw how the change hit the ground and sprayed out like a halo with the sunshine, I just went, ‘Oh my goodness. It’s money.’ And again with the dollar bills going all over. It was definitely something out of a movie,” said Pat.

Not many would have a smile on their face after seeing all that and still calling 911 to return more than 11,000 $1 bills and $50 in pennies when there had been no witnesses around to see you had just hit the jackpot. But that’s exactly the picture snapped as Pat stood next to a trooper as she gave every bit back.

“We were both laughing, picking up money off the ground, and I said, ‘I can’t even put $1 in my pocket without feeling guilty about it.’ It’s not my money,” said Pat.

Now, meet 18-year-old Indiana man Jhaqueil Reagan, who walked 10 miles in the snow for a job interview at Dairy Queen to support his brothers and sisters, and was well rewarded for his efforts:

A teen’s luck appears to have changed after a chance encounter with an Indiana restaurant owner during a 10-mile trek through ice and snow for a minimum wage job interview.

It all started on Friday, when Art Bouvier, the proprietor of Papa Roux, a Cajun restaurant in Indianapolis, was laying rock salt outside the establishment after an ice storm earlier that morning.

He said he was approached by a teen who asked him how far it was to 10th and Sherman.

Mr Bouvier told WLFI-TV: ‘And I’m thinking we’re at 10th and Post. I said, “Buddy that’s probably six, seven miles.” I said, “You’d be better off on a bus especially in this weather.” He just said, “Okay, thank you.” And he kept going.’

Later, as Mr Bouvier was driving with his wife to a coffee shop, he was surprised to find the same person, still walking.

They pulled over, and asked him if he needed a ride.

The teen, Jhaqueil Reagan, obliged, and along the way, he told the couple that he was going to a Dairy Queen location for a job interview, and didn’t have money for bus fare.

He said that he had already walked three miles before he reached Papa Roux.

Mr Bouvier told Fox 59: ‘I’m thinking to myself, here’s a kid walking almost 10 miles in the ice and slush and snow for the hope of a job at minimum wage.

Bouvier offered to double Dairy Queen’s offer if Reagan would come work for him. Reagan started Monday, and his story went viral after Bouvier posted it on his Facebook page.

‘It’s crazy. I don’t even know. It’s really crazy,’ Reagan told Fox 59. ‘My heart’s just racing right now. I’m just too excited, just excited to start.’

God bless them all, and for some welcome perspective for the passel of millionaires in Washington raising holy hell over their .025 percent budget “cuts.”

It’s rough out there in the, ahem, recovery for people Reagan’s age:

The center found that young adults’ debt levels dropped nearly 14% between 2001 and 2010, while rising 63% for those age 35 and older, according to a recent Pew study.

The real-world ramifications are eye-popping. The share of younger households owning their primary residence fell to 34% in 2011, down from 40% in 2007. Only 66% owned or leased at least one vehicle in 2011, down from 73% four years earlier, as car loans plunged. Credit card balances have also fallen.

The only debt on the rise is student loans. In 2007, just over a third of young households had outstanding student debt. That jumped to 40% in 2010.

One reason for the decline is the weak job market, especially for the young. Their unemployment rate was more than 2 percentage points higher than their older peers in 2010 and 2011, according to federal labor statistics. Many of those lucky enough to have employment either make less than they expected or are concerned about getting laid off.

Comments

Neat story about this kid. Hard work pays off.

Keep it up, fella!

ted c on February 27, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Per pedes apostolorum

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2013 at 9:26 PM

There’s hope for civilization

Just not as much as there could be.

Bmore on February 27, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I agree with Ted C.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Wow… Work hard, be honest, play by the rules…

It seems to work everywhere outside Washington and the welfare office.

Wino on February 27, 2013 at 9:27 PM

WoW! Well done guys!

Scrumpy on February 27, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Contrast this with 52 million moochers/Looters, harlots on the national dole.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Bouvier will be sued out of business by the Dairy Queen for stealing a prospective employee. The feds will put Bouvier in jail for hiring workers with ethics.

cozmo on February 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Major hat tip the woman and the teen both. There is hope for America, maybe?

predator on February 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I agree with Schadenfreude and BMore.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Hey Mary Katherine have you apologized for your misquoting Rush on the O’Reilly factor?

I haven’t seen it.

Conan on February 27, 2013 at 9:32 PM

…saw that story last night!…they didn’t do that!…we supplied the infrastucture!

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM

God bless that kid.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM

“You didn’t walk alone” — Obama

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM

cozmo on February 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

…did he have a green card?

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Ham was on the factor? Man that’s big time.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I said this on FB last night about that article: “Something to give us hope in our younger folks.” Good minds think alike MKH.

guido911 on February 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Good stuff, MKH!

MikeknaJ on February 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Mr. Bouvier you are a hero for supporting that kid.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2013 at 9:40 PM

The young

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2013 at 9:41 PM

You people had it good, but you don’t want anyone else to have the same chance you did.

triple on February 26, 2013 at 8:20 AM

rogerb on February 27, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Mr Bouvier might even have a valued partner in a few years. Good luck to this young man. I wish him the best.

DaveDief on February 27, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I enjoy the feel good stories. Honestly. God knows we need them these days.

I can’t be sure I wouldn’t have kept the money.

wolly4321 on February 27, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Thank you MKH. I needed a post like this to make me feel better after reading about our Vice Idiot trying to get people killed by their family members.

ButterflyDragon on February 27, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I agree with SparkPlug.

John the Libertarian on February 27, 2013 at 9:59 PM

And, back in economic reality, Obama just raised the kids taxes with the recent social security rate increase and Obamatax (a witch’s nest of new “revenue sources”), so his first paycheck will be a register of Dear Leader’s lies.

profitsbeard on February 27, 2013 at 10:01 PM

But the government built the road….

Ben Hur on February 27, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Yeah, hats-off to Bouvier as well.

Midas on February 27, 2013 at 10:05 PM

=======================================

Awesome,have ye faith!

canopfor on February 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM

That is a very beautiful and moving story about the young man who walked miles in the snow for a job interview… The woman story who found the money and did not take is equal beautiful and moving… Yes there is still a lot of good in our country folks, it is very dark political times, but we still have a lot of good folks… do not despair…

mnjg on February 27, 2013 at 10:08 PM

She may not have the money, but she has something priceless that can never be taken away.

He’s got it too. For having it, this is likely the beginning of him reaping the rewards.

Good news: There’s hope for civilization

Yep.

With the heavy air pollution circling about lately, these stories are a nice breath of fresh air.

Thanks for the post MKH.

rukiddingme on February 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Great stories!

I’m curious where our liberal brothers and sisters are as I don’t yet see any complaints about them having to live in abject poverty and screaming how unfair it is that this kid gets to make double the wages of other people his age. No doubt they feel he should have to suffer like all other teenagers.

Two great lessons are at work here. First is that hard work, determination and persistence DO pay off. The problem is we, as a society, often expect the pay off to happen quickly or happen in a manner that we expect. Often the pay off comes much later and in ways we never could have expected such as getting a ride from a restaurant owner. Second, that having and displaying determination and persistence will distinguish you greatly from other individuals even if you might not have the resume to qualify yourself.

I work in the IT field in a job position that is very pressure and time intensive. We’ve found candidates that are hungry for success and willing to go the extra mile have done considerably better than people we’ve hired with good education qualifications and a polished resume. In the long run, hard workers will always beat out people who only work hard at representing themselves.

Keep up the good work kid! You will go very far.

Flashwing on February 27, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I Love Mary Katherine Ham!!

williamg on February 27, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Well below this story is a photo of Slow Joe Biden which would make one think there isn’t hope for civilization.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 27, 2013 at 10:57 PM

God bless these folks, and all Americans.

MTF on February 27, 2013 at 10:59 PM

God Bless Them.

Not enough.

hawkdriver on February 27, 2013 at 11:05 PM

This young man is exactly who Food, housing and living assistance is meant for.

He quite high school to raise his siblings and raise them after his only parent died…

People screwing the system, sitting on their ass should be taken to the barn!

Tilly on February 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM

And Tiny Tim said, “God bless us everyone”.

Mason on February 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM

The problem with all these decent, honest, hard-working kids who only want to make a better life for themselves and their families the right way is they just can’t seem to make the connection between the way they undoubtedly voted and the problems they have in the real world.

They are screwed because they didn’t, or couldn’t, think through the Obama record and policies before rushing out to reelect the Bozo – and to exhort all their friend to GOTV too.

I blame the government schools.

Adjoran on February 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Parable of the day:

The $50 Lesson

Recently, while I was working in the flower beds in the front yard,
my neighbors stopped to chat as they returned home from walking their dog.

During our friendly conversation, I asked their 12 year old daughter what she wanted to be when she grows up.
She said she wanted to be President someday.

Both of her parents – liberal Democrats – were standing there, so I asked her,
“If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?”

She replied, “I’d give food and houses to all the homeless people.”

Her parents beamed with pride!

“Wow…what a worthy goal!” I said. “But you don’t have to wait until you’re President to do that!” I told her.

“What do you mean?” she replied.

So I told her, “You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and trim my hedge, and I’ll pay you $50. Then you can go over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house.”

She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, “Why doesn’t the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?”

I said, “Welcome to the Republican Party.”

Her parents aren’t speaking to me.

AesopFan on February 28, 2013 at 1:50 AM

It’s not my money,” said Pat.

Simple, but profound. The honest soul doesn’t rationalize that “no one will ever know” or “It’s lost, and I might as well have it.” Just, “it’s not mine.” No more needs to be said.

That’s why there’s a saying that, “You can’t cheat an honest man.” They’re not interested in get-rich-quick schemes that are usually scams, so they don’t bite on most of the scams and offers that are just a little too good to be true.

In a town full of thieves, nothing is safe. In a town full of honest people, everything is safe.

tom on February 28, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I haven’t seen it.

Conan on February 27, 2013 at 9:32 PM

yeah, a wigger nerd named ‘Jhaqueil’ just shouts good outcomes for my civilization.

But good for the kid, glad he found work. Glad he was looking for work. But damn, son, change your name and look, too.

rayra on February 28, 2013 at 1:07 AM

( s i g h . . . . . . . . )

I guess MOST of us found it to be an uplifting story.

Thanks, Mary.

listens2glenn on February 28, 2013 at 2:01 AM

AesopFan on February 28, 2013 at 1:50 AM

YES ! … YES ! … YES ! … (Meg Ryan imitation)

Oh man … THAT’S a copy ‘n’ paste “saver”.

listens2glenn on February 28, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Good for the both of them !!!
And AesopFan.

To the trolls, this thread is typed in sanskrit.

Jabberwock on February 28, 2013 at 7:01 AM

The Reagan boy worked at a sawmill in Kentucky until he had to leave to move back to Indiana because of the need of a sibling or family member for some specialized medical treatment.

He was a good worker who followed instructions well. I know. He worked for me. Good kid.

DavidAllen on February 28, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Civilization will NOT be saved by these RARE events. It will be saved when they are COMMON events.

michaelo on February 28, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Not fer nuthin’….

Both of these events happened in Flyover Country. Good on ‘em!

Bigurn on February 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM

michaelo on February 28, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I’ll concede that point.

The fact that these stories are such a RARE, BIG DEAL is evidence enough to indict (convict?) today’s America.

listens2glenn on February 28, 2013 at 11:47 AM

DavidAllen on February 28, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Thanks for weighing in.

His name (Jhaqueil) didn’t cause any trouble on the job, did it?

(It would appear that Art Bouvier had NO qualms about it)

listens2glenn on February 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Great stories!

As the parent of 3 young adults, I know first-hand how bad the job market is for them. My eldest finally got a new job after being unemployed for a year after his plant closed. We have our fingers crossed that he will be hired on permanently, it’s a great company.

My youngest son has a solid job and just finished all of his training with the Air National Guard. He will be keeping his job part-time while using his GI Bill money to go to school full-time.

My daughter had has a string of mall jobs where she rarely gets 20 hours a week, let alone full-time. Many weeks have been as low as 8 hours. Fortunately, she saw the benefits of the Guard through her brother and will be leaving for basic training in May and going to school when she gets back.

Young people can’t beat the Air Guard. You get paid around $1800/month while in basic and tech school, get $85,000 for school, and come out of training with almost all of the credits you need for your associate’s degree from the Community College of the Air Force. You make about $400 for your monthly drill weekend. Unlike full-time Air Force, they even pay for your $1300 in uniforms. You can also choose the base you work at. Depending on your test scores, you can also choose a job that comes with a $10,000 bonus. All for a 6 year commitment.

Common Sense on February 28, 2013 at 4:49 PM