Donna Brazile wonders: Why are my health-care premiums going up?

posted at 2:41 pm on February 27, 2013 by Allahpundit

Promoted from the Greenroom by popular demand:

Hard to know why without knowing who her insurer is, but I can think of two possibilities. You all know the first. Force companies to make insurance benefits more comprehensive and to expand coverage to people with preexisting conditions and you’ll force them to make up the cost somewhere. The only (mild) surprise in Brazile’s case is that, as is so often true under Obamanomics, it’s young adults who are supposed to bear the brunt. And if those young adults decide they’d rather pay the penalty than buy insurance, DB’s likely got another premium hike coming in the not-too-distant future.

The other possibility? Health-care costs keep increasing inexorably and her insurer had to hike premiums to keep up. Once upon a time, we were told that ObamaCare would help solve that problem. Jake Tapper wrote about it last year:

During Obama’s term, between 2009 to 2012, premiums have climbed $2,370 for the average family with an employer-provided plan – a rate faster than the during the previous four years under President George W. Bush, according to Kaiser…

At a rally in Virginia in June 2008, Obama said: “In an Obama administration, we’ll lower premiums by up to $2,500 for a typical family per year.”…

“We won’t do all this twenty years from now, or ten years from now,” he said. “We’ll do it by the end of my first term as President of the United States.”…

Last year, I asked White House deputy chief of staff Nancy-Ann DeParle about that $2,500 in savings the president pledged. She insisted families will see that savings seven years after the president said it would be achieved — by 2019…

Administration officials say they never claimed health care costs would go down, only that they would grow at a slower rate than they would have without the Affordable Care Act.

Yeah, “bending the cost curve” was an early ludicrous ambition of O-Care but that gradually became secondary to the goal of comprehensive coverage as the bill oozed its way through Congress. As it is, some insurers are now hiking premiums by double digits to match rising costs. The feds’ response? Those rates would be even higher without the new regulations. You’re welcome, America. Exit question: How long before Brazile and her colleagues start tweeting about the need for single-payer?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

more choice and competition for everyone. However, one option that should not be disposed off without coming up with a clear alternative to lowering costs is the so-called “public insurance option”

The cognitive dissonance between public option and and more competition is absolutely incredible.

WitchDoctor on February 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM

El Rushbo had a good summary of the next steps for the Left. H/C is expensive because of Doc.

Regulate salaries, price fixing. Soon just nationalize the whole tehing in name of Fairness and Justice. Docs/Nurses/Hospitals will be on government payroll…then of course, there’ll be doctors unions…etc.

r keller on February 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM

In the Soviet Union, many physicians and engineers would work two jobs, and those who drove taxis made more than they did as physicians and engineers.

Also, I’ll never forget a story told by one of our athletes, who sustained an injury in Moscow, at a competition. One of his Russian friends gave him an unused hypodermic needle and syringe, so he could supply it to his treating doctors.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM

lmao-
Gee..I wonder..
eat it stupid b$tch.

bazil9 on February 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Once again, Brazile lives up to her reputation as a zombie dumbshit.

Pork-Chop on February 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM

It’s Obamacare Donna, let’s spell it together, ok? “O-b-a-m-a-c-a-r-e” . . . good, now, next time you’ll know why your healthcare premiums have risen.

rplat on February 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM

And in the next phase, it will also be the reason you can’t find a competent doctor with the best tools to diagnose and treat whatever is wrong with you.

dentarthurdent on February 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I’m quite certain that Bazilla actually doesn’t know why her premiums went up. Let me help, then.

She’s black
She’s overweight
She’s no longer a spring chicken
She has to pay for her own policy
She’s paying for my girlfriend’s birth control

Liam on February 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Paging Mr. Schadenfreude, you gave a call from one D. brazille on Line 1. Paging Mr. schadenfreude.

can_con on February 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM

*gave = have

can_con on February 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM

The people who can stop ObamaCare on its tracks are not the congress or the Supremes (neither will) but the doctors themselves. All it takes them is to stop accepting ANY insurance, all forms of Medicaca including, and take cold hard cash instead. In no time, we will be where civilized countries are now: good-quality medicine for people who pay much less than they are paying now, and Soviet-quality “health scare” for those on Medicaca. I could live with that…

Archivarix on February 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM

can_con on February 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM

wow – when I read that I did not even notice … just skipped right over it
read it as have …. shesh

conservative tarheel on February 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Donna Brazile ✔ @donnabrazile

What’s on your menu? Just got off the phone with my health care provider asking them to explain why my premium jumped up. No good answer!”

What does that even mean? What does a menu have to do with anything? Why is she calling her health care provider with questions about premiums? Is she mixing language here? Does she really mean to ask, “Why did my out of pocket go up?” Or did she actually call her health insurer? Does she have any idea what she is talking about?

Typical liberal.

stvnscott on February 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM

What’s on your menu?

Crap sandwich.
The more bread you have, the less crap you have to eat.

Dexter_Alarius on February 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Ah the intelligence of our ruling class is only exceeded in dumbness by the obumbles voters.

losarkos on February 27, 2013 at 4:04 PM

What’s on my menu you ask Donna. Well that’s quite easy:

Your sweet delicious tears.

can_con on February 27, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Dear God how stupid people are.

Bob's Kid on February 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Obviously you’re not reading her followup tweets. She’s praising ObamaCare and expects it to help her out when “fully implemented”. Whatever that means for her.

ButterflyDragon on February 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM

So liberals are now fretting they have to pay for their spending? Who woulda thunk?

ojfltx on February 27, 2013 at 4:16 PM

— Donna Brazile (@donnabrazile) February 27, 2013

Notice that she called her healthcare provider…NOT HER HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANY.

If my auto insurance premiums go up, I do not telephone the car’s manufacturer or the service shop.

Resist We Much on February 27, 2013 at 4:16 PM

She’s claiming it’s “price gouging”. Which if she truly believes that, should have her even madder at the government because those rate increases have to be approved by the government.

ButterflyDragon on February 27, 2013 at 4:18 PM

ButterflyDragon on February 27, 2013

No to mention her plan was also probably upgraded to me herr Sibelius’ minimum coverage requirements.

can_con on February 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Resist We Much on February 27, 2013 at 4:16 PM

But you are RWM – Conservative.
She is Donna Brazile – Progressive Democrat.

That will explain an awful lot.

OTOH. Not being able to tell the difference helps explain why ACA is such a FUBAR.

Jabberwock on February 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Well, dumb as a box of rocks Obama voter comes to mind.

Karma is real, just ask her.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Hey Donna. You broke it you own it.

Enjoy!

Kingfisher on February 27, 2013 at 4:30 PM

That original promise is not the baldfaced lie is seems to be — you’re just interpreting it wrong. To wit:

Yep. He’ll say anything to get his socialist agenda rammed down America’s throat.

KS Rex on February 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Archivarix on February 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Tried it. My doc said she couldn’t accept cash. ??

avagreen on February 27, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Why am I not surprised at the lack of a satisfactory answer from her HCP;
does she think the answer would have been any more satisfactory if it had come from the Oval Office?

Hey, Donna: You and all your Leftist friends,
YOU OWN THIS!

Another Drew on February 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM

avagreen on February 27, 2013 at 4:35 PM

You need to find a Doc who is not a Moron!

Another Drew on February 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM

lester?

rogerb on February 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM

A sad attempt at trying to convince her fellow low-info twits that it’s all the industry’s fault, so they think the same thing when it happens to them.

The sad part about it is that it will work, given that most people will be dumb enough to make the non-existent connection.

CurtZHP on February 27, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Hey Donna, regretting your tweet yet? how about your vote? you deserve every nasty tweet and extra dollar your gonna pay for being a mindless liberal.

burserker on February 27, 2013 at 4:52 PM

You need to find a Doc who is not a Moron!

Another Drew on February 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM

The doctor is not a moron. It is not legal for an M.D. to operate outside of the government’s regulations.

2L8 on February 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM

So Donna decides to double down on the stupid.

Donna Brazile ‏@donnabrazile

So, I am looking forward to the full implementation of #obamacare so I do not have to fight with my health provider on an ongoing basis.

lowandslow on February 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Remember When The Left Said A Republican, Who Attended 5 Colleges And Had A C-average, Was Only Qualified To Be A Stripper Or A Yoga Instructor?

Resist We Much on February 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM

A GPA of a D?!?! And that rates a diploma?

geeez…..

Hell, when I was majoring in beer, I was on the Deans’ List. I knew I should have drunk more beer….

98ZJUSMC on February 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Bless Her Heart, Donna Brazile Opts For The Double-Scoop Of Stupidity

Resist We Much on February 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Donna Brazile wonders: Why are my health-care premiums going up?

Frankly, because you are stupid, very stupid.

VorDaj on February 27, 2013 at 5:06 PM

IQ Range Classification
70-80 Borderline deficiency
50-69 Moron
20-49 Imbecile
Below 20 Idiot
Below 0 Donna Brazile

TeaPartyNation on February 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Typical liberal.

stvnscott on February 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM

All tweets look like jumbled nonsense. It’s just that lIbeRaL tweets are far more jumbled and completely nonsensical.

Just like their worldview.

98ZJUSMC on February 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Good…gooooood…muahahaha…things are all going as planned…the destruction of Western civilization inches closer to fruition…

JetBoy on February 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Oh, brother…oops, disregard my last comment…I’m an idiot…

JetBoy on February 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

A GPA of a D?!?! And that rates a diploma?

98ZJUSMC on February 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM

“D” is for DeF3n(e.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Resist We Much on February 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM

JetBoy on February 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Oh, brother…oops, disregard my last comment…I’m an idiot…

JetBoy on February 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Did you post on the wrong thread? Oddly enough, it fits right in.

Bobbertsan on February 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM

JetBoy on February 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Oh, brother…oops, disregard my last comment…I’m an idiot…
JetBoy on February 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Did you post on the wrong thread? Oddly enough, it fits right in.
Bobbertsan on February 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I think this comment should start every thread.

can_con on February 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I know: Greedy Health Insurance companies.

What do I win?

Axeman on February 27, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Resist We Much on February 27, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Can I be on Donna’s “Death Panel?” Pretty please!

bw222 on February 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM

JetBoy on February 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Inches?

bw222 on February 27, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Must be time for the wealthy healthy to pay a little bit more.™

Barnestormer on February 27, 2013 at 5:58 PM

See, they just didn’t know how badly Bush screwed up healthcare costs.

You might never see them dig their way out.

Axeman on February 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Inches?

bw222 on February 27, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Thats all thats left.

BobMbx on February 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM

No matter what, she lives well within the 1% that she can even negotiate what her personal health-care premiums cost and not just what ones “employer” sets based on what the HHS and the IRS tell Human resources of the company what to offer.

tjexcite on February 27, 2013 at 6:15 PM

In America, you have the right to be stupid.

And, never, never be ashamed to use that God Given Right (TM)

hawkeye54 on February 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Thank for clearing that up. Up to now, I thought only “certain kind of people” have that Right.

MNH on February 27, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Tell her the extra cost is needed to keep Guam from capsizing….

dentarthurdent on February 27, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Between healthcare and Obama’s middle class tax hike, our household income is down $300/mo this year. It would be more like $450/mo if I hadn’t switched off my wife’s health plan and got my own through work.

crrr6 on February 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM

In America, you have the right to be stupid.

And, never, never be ashamed to use that God Given Right (TM)

hawkeye54 on February 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM

MNH on February 27, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I see in the very near future the need to make sure EVERYONE has total equality – so smart people will be have some of their brain zapped to ensure they are no better than the stupidest among us.
Necessary social justice.

Was that Fahrenheit 451? Can’t remember for sure.

dentarthurdent on February 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I am doing some continuing educational coursework to keep my state producer insurance licenses current and today I finished the 2 credit “Obamacare” overview course. Of course it had a fancy name for the course, but basically it is an overview of the 2700+ pages of the bill content and when certain mandates etc. take effect. My head is spinning over the content of this debacle.

Just by the mandates, wording, commissions, overview panels, regulators of regulators, etc., it is almost an uber lefty progressive’s wet dream of utopia. All of the “foreplay” (goodies” in the bill happened in 2010, or at least how they lefties defined goodies. Then beginning in 2011 on upwards towards 2020. bendover, that is when they are ramming it to us.

I didn’t realize there was a wage earner extra medicare tax of 0.9% that took affect this year. This is on top of the 2% FICA tax that was reinstated from the stimulus. This particular wage earner extra tax is not matched by the employer. It is for high income earners, in addition to the 3.8% investment tax that they also have to pay into the medicare tax collections. This kicks in for the $200K single wage earner and the $250K married couple.

So these people got hammered on the actual IRS tax increase AND the obamacare taxes already scheduled to be in place for this tax year.

This is part of the reason that the deficit is ever so slightly smaller this year. A lot of Obamacare taxes are kicking into the general treasury. Of course they are spending it faster on other items before even the obamacare subsidies have to be paid out.

DC politicians, they all need to die in a fire!!!!!!!

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2013 at 6:31 PM

The Lilliputian in Chief doesn’t feel your pain.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM

A GPA of a D?!?! And that rates a diploma?

98ZJUSMC on February 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I believe LSU was already established.

(Roll Tide)

rogerb on February 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Maybe she was hoping to learn that her provider hadn’t heard that premiums were supposed to go down $2,500 per year, and was ready to forward a copy of the dictum from Imperial Grand Poobha Obama if needed.

BobMbx on February 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Did you post on the wrong thread? Oddly enough, it fits right in.

Bobbertsan on February 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Yeah…wrong thread.

Is it just me…when I scroll down to log in on a headline post, the HotAir logo covers up the login link. So I have to go to a main thread to log in, and I sometimes forget I’m not in the correct thread :/

JetBoy on February 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Maybe it’s not a vast left-wing conspiracy. Liberals are just really dumb.

Wigglesworth on February 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM

among us.
Necessary social justice.
Was that Fahrenheit 451? Can’t remember for sure.
dentarthurdent on February 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Harold Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut. There is also a really neat short on youtube someone made.

tom daschle concerned on February 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM

In Mass the biggest premium increases were before RomneyCare took effect. I remember because the President of our company would go crazy every year when the insurance company would tell him what the rates would be for the next year. He changed providers several times during the transition to RomneyCare. The insurance companies were getting ahead of the cost curve just like they are doing now with Obamacare.

Wigglesworth on February 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Soeone needs to consult with that poor lady regarding her pre-existing mental condition.

I mean c’mon, if she even has to ask such a question, there’s something seriously wrong with her.

Oxymoron on February 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Liberals are just really dumb.

The vast majority are. There are a few who are geniuses, evil, mind you, but geniuses, never the less.

hawkeye54 on February 27, 2013 at 6:59 PM

To those of us in the health insurance industry, the answer is simple: The law was written by idiots who never spent a day in their life in the industry, and the most egregious part is that it does nothing to address health care cost (as was aptly pointed out in Brill’s article in TIME.)

Actual call I overheard from one of our Customer Service reps a few weeks ago: “I’m sorry, sir. If you want a refund of your premiums for last year because you didn’t use any of your benefits, you’ll have to speak to your employer.”

I was laughing so hard I had to go into the lunchroom.

But then after thinking it over, I called my greedy, SOB life insurance company and demanded all my premiums for the past ten years be refunded to me on the same principle.

It’s Barack Obama’s America. Nothing is too insane anymore.

Phoenix7 on February 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM

lester?

rogerb on February 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM

lester is busy licking himself!

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2013 at 7:05 PM

That rumbling sound you hear is the earthquake of all the suffragettes spinning in their graves due to this female’s stupidity.

MelonCollie on February 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM

No, she and her party really are that dumb. Really.

SouthernGent on February 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Is that a CFL bulb that just went off in Donna Brazile’s head?

How many watts was it.

dissent555 on February 27, 2013 at 8:13 PM

If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to flag@whitehouse.gov.

steebo77 on February 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM

ButterflyDragon on February 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM

It means when the money starts flowing the right way.

drunyan8315 on February 27, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Donna Brazile – yes, she really is just that stupid.

woodNfish on February 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Just because she’s as dumb as a rusty door know doesn’t mean you should mock her glaring stupidity.

SparkPlug on February 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Door knob

SparkPlug on February 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Because, you’re older, overweight, and are now being forced to pay for a lot of things you DON’T NEED your health insurance to provide.

Charging more due to age isn’t price gouging you dumb broad it’s called RISK ASSESSMENT!

Also if you doctor refuses to take cash, checks, or debit card payments you need to find a new doctor. It is PERFECTLY LEGAL to pay for services rendered on your own.

SgtSVJones on February 27, 2013 at 10:23 PM

A GPA of a D?!?! And that rates a diploma?

98ZJUSMC on February 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM

The D-average reference was about Bags Hagel.

Resist We Much on February 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I just a letter today saying my supplemental is increasing significantly. Time for a revolution to stop this madness.

wepeople on February 27, 2013 at 11:03 PM

As if Brazile doesn’t know.

Her crowd knows. The important thing is to build a case it is the fault of the greedy providers.

That is the point, if you are shooting for National Health

Call them. They cannot explain. Must be they are hiding their greed.
Repeat until it becomes one more myth, like the Yeti

entagor on February 27, 2013 at 11:47 PM

If we want to speculate on her motives, she is Clinton-first, so she doesn’t care if Obama gets blamed for rising healthcare costs. It has always been a passion for Hillary, as we know.

virgo on February 28, 2013 at 12:55 AM

In 2012, my health insurance premium went up $100 per month. Now, my employer is talking about ditching my Anthem/Blue Cross plan. Next year they want something less expensive.

My employer is? The University of California… that grand bastion of liberal, tolerant, social justice warriors, Champions of ObamaCare and distributive justice.

Oh yeah, now they’re talking about raising the dollar limit on health care for students. Transgender reassignment surgery for students must be next on the list.

Screw every liberal, Democrat, discriminatory twit in California. I spit on you all.

Kalifornia Kafir on February 28, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Blame the boogey man. Anyone but Obama.

She lives in a world all by herself.

so-notbuyingit on February 28, 2013 at 8:22 AM

“Why are my premiums increasing?” Oh noes. Did you’re little Obammy make the pain worse?

Moron.

RDE2010 on February 28, 2013 at 8:36 AM

*your

RDE2010 on February 28, 2013 at 8:37 AM

She might be dumb, but she knows complaining about it is going to start the momentum needed to have single payer.
Insurance companies, according to these people, should be non profits & never be held accountable to the people who have invested their $$ in the venture.
It is capitalism they wish to destroy.

Badger40 on February 28, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Archivarix on February 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Remember, the government issues the medical licenses. You know where this is going.

Don’t take Medicare patients? No problem. No license.

My spouse is a CEO of a hospital. He thinks 1/4 or more of hospitals will go out in the next 2 years. And cancer drugs? HA The government already has meddled so much in that industry, they can’t even get many of the drugs anymore.

The picture of our future isn’t good.

stenwin77 on February 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM

She’s black
She’s overweight
She’s no longer a spring chicken
She has to pay for her own policy
She’s paying for my girlfriend’s birth control

Liam on February 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Good list…you forgot

Democrat voting moron

cajunpatriot on February 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM

she ain’t know why dem cost keep going’ up…

Pest on February 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM

SgtSVJones on February 27, 2013 at 10:23 PM

No, it’s not perfectly legal. If you have insurance and the doctor has been collecting from it for your care, you cannot begin paying cash. If the docs knows you have insurance, they are bound by their contracts to report your care. Else, what is keeping the patient from paying cash, the doctor submitting the claim and receiving payment……twice? Or, even splitting the double pay with the patient. Look at this from the insurance’s view.

Therefore, it’s NOT LEGAL to pay cash unless you go to a new doc and not declare you have insurance and then can pay on a “cash” basis from the get go.

avagreen on February 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM

And, further, if the insurance company finds out the doc has broken the contract, that doc will lose their contract with that insurance company and will most likely be blacklisted from getting any insurance companies to do business with them…….b/c this all could easily become a racket (from the insurance companies’ viewpoint). The doc then would have to be on a “cash basis only” with ALL of their patients, which would be fine if all the patients could afford to pay cash. Not all can.

avagreen on February 28, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Don’t take Medicare patients? No problem. No license.

The picture of our future isn’t good.

stenwin77 on February 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I can totally see the govt denying licenses to practice & forcing you take anyone as a patient.
I can also see them forcing Drs etc to do procedures they consider immoral.
The govt wants to control every aspect of healthcare & our lives.
IT won’t matter how much $$ you have, you will someday not be able to get the medical care you need unless you happen to grease the right palms or go to Mexico as a medical tourist.

Badger40 on February 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Believe me, I know it’s hard keeping track of the numbers when you’re preoccupied in ensuring that every bit of Barry’s shoes are kissed in adoration.

RdLake on March 1, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Seems to me the question indicates something of why it would be assumed that PPACA was a good thing. Politicians makes laws but they don’t have to work out how to make things work. Having skin in the game means if you screw things up you also pay the price and not some nominal cost. If politicians had to live personally with the results (of course, the fear is that by the time it happens it will be very bad for everyone) they might be a bit more leery of what seemed, at the time, to be a good thing/can’t lose/no downside.

Russ808 on March 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM