CPAC’s newest speaker: Dr. Ben Carson

posted at 4:41 pm on February 27, 2013 by Allahpundit

Will any speaker there receive a warmer reception from the audience than him? Besides Mitt Romney, I mean.

Ace thinks this is proof positive that he’s at least considering a run for office. I don’t know. I’ve hashed that out before; realistically, there just aren’t many opportunities. The time for an upstart outsider bid for the White House was two years ago, against an exceedingly weak GOP field. The next Republican field will be formidable. Plus, he strikes me as someone who’s sincerely invested in his message and wants to spread it irrespective of whether it opens any new doors for him professionally. CPAC’s an opportunity to do that, even if nothing bigger comes of it.

The American Conservative Union (ACU) today announced that Dr. Ben Carson will be a featured speaker at CPAC 2013 — the 40th annual Conservative Political Action Conference. America’s largest gathering of conservative leaders and activists will be held Thursday, March 14 – Saturday, March 16, 2013.

“Dr. Ben Carson represents the optimism and hope of the future of the conservative movement, while at the same time he articulates the deep fiscal and social challenges that our Nation faces,” said ACU Chairman Al Cardenas. “We look forward to welcoming Dr. Carson to the CPAC stage in March.”

Free advice: If he wants to win over the crowd, start off with the following anecdote.

The White House repeatedly asked Ben Carson for his speech before the rising Republican star criticized President Obama at the National Prayer Breakfast earlier this month.

Carson, a prominent neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins University, declined to do so, noting that he doesn’t put his speeches down on paper beforehand.

Exit question: How overtly political will this speech get? He was reined in a bit at the National Prayer Breakfast because of the circumstances (and ended up taking heat anyway for getting even a little bit political there), but there are no such constraints at CPAC. Will it be a speech in broad themes about religious belief and personal responsibility or is he going to get into policy? Follow the link to the Hill article above and read down a bit for a preview, maybe. Note the bit about “poisoned candy.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What no Chris Christie tie-in for the story?

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I’ll take him over Gov. Doublewide any day.

Akzed on February 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I admit it. I laughed.

Stoic Patriot on February 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM

The best part is Carson appearing while CRISTie was told to kiss off. And BTW, if both men seek the GOP nomination in 2016, Carson will get further in the primary.

Doughboy on February 27, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Rock the CPAC Dr. Carson!

workingclass artist on February 27, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Self loathing uncle tom oreo with stockholm syndrome!!1!

There, it’s been said. Lib trolls feel free to take the day off.

Kataklysmic on February 27, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Still shaking my head over those who were stupid enough last night to say that Krispy Kreme belongs at CPAC!

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Well this is wonderful news! I am really loving Dr. Carson and hope he does not change his views to tell it like he sees it.

Dr. Carson beats the daylights outta christie speaking, IMO!

I just need to find out when cpac is and the schedule of who/when they speak.
L

letget on February 27, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Still can’t get over Romney at CPAC, huh AP?

changer1701 on February 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Best CPAC speech I ever saw was Rush in 2009.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM

1000 times better than fatso.

Carson and Palin should bring the house down. Mitt not so much…

unseen on February 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Best CPAC speech I ever saw was Rush in 2009.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM

very good speech. I don’t remeber too many speeches from CPAC but I do remember Rush’s and Palin’s. The rest just never rose to the occasion.

unseen on February 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM

This is so wrong it’s wonderful.

Two years ago was only the illusion of the time. And I think Palin understood that.

rrpjr on February 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Good to hear the breaking news AP. oh wait, twitchy posted this at 10:09am.

Michelle is gonna think you r slacking off!

can_con on February 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I think I’ll try to get him to do one of the Tea Party Patriots conference calls.

platypus on February 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I wanna go!!!!

ctmom on February 27, 2013 at 4:52 PM

0 slayer.

Bmore on February 27, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Still can’t get over Romney at CPAC, huh AP?

changer1701 on February 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM

here’s a tip sweetcheeks….

ROMNEY IS A SPINELESS L-O-S-E-R!!!!!

GhoulAid on February 27, 2013 at 4:53 PM

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 4:47 PM

There opening a Krispy Kreme at CPAC?

can_con on February 27, 2013 at 4:53 PM

ROFL. Mitt will be lucky to not get booed off the stage after his massive defeat in 2012.

unseen on February 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Nobody does it better than AP. This is one of the things that keeps me coming back to the site.

The next Republican field will be formidable.

I don’t know whether Carson is considering a run for office. However, I am not too sure the Republican field will be as formidable as you think.

Chris Christie is unelectable at this point unless he switches parties. Jeb Bush and Rubio are the main establishment choices and one will probably drop in favor of the other earlier on, I suspect. I’d been sure Jeb would be the candidate but now I’m thinking Rubio’s the choice given the articles I’m seeing about him wooing Wall Street donors. Rubio could well turn himself into Romney #2 if he passes amnesty and our majority in the House collapses in 2014 as 30 million new Democrats wipe us out in a tsunami of anti-Republican votes.

Who else? Palin is probably not coming back. I don’t see Ryan as being viable on a national level. I love Mike Pence and Scott Walker, but they aren’t going to run. Who is left? Rand Paul and… that’s about it.

I think this assumption that “we have a strong bench” needs to be re-examined. I think things are shaping up to be Rubio vs. Paul with a bunch of vanity and spoiler candidates.

Doomberg on February 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Best CPAC speech I ever saw was Rush in 2009.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM

That was a great speech. And one we desperately needed to hear at the time. Remember, that was before the Tea Party uprising on Tax Day, so conservatives were really in the dumps.

Doughboy on February 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Nerdy blog commenter can’t wait.

rbj on February 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM

They’re… Damn

can_con on February 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

any bets on which speech hotair won’t cover.?

unseen on February 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

The guy has an awesome story.

I just hope Republicans can resist glomming on to Dr. Carson they way they did with Herman Cain in 2012. Or worse yet, Donald Trump.

At least until we learn a little more about the guy.

UltimateBob on February 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

The CPAC speaker line-up is looking really good – but, it would look a whole lot better if they would un-invite Jeb Bush and Mitch McConnell.

Pork-Chop on February 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Can’t wait, bring it Dr. Carson.

D-fusit on February 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM

here’s a tip sweetcheeks….

ROMNEY IS A SPINELESS L-O-S-E-R!!!!!

GhoulAid on February 27, 2013 at 4:53 PM

My question was tongue in cheek, but thanks anyway, buttercup. Nice to see you know where caps lock is, too…

changer1701 on February 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Is it possible for Dr. Carson to perform some reverse lobotomi after his speech?

Lobotomys? lobotomies? Hell lets go this lobotomi

can_con on February 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Perhaps he would like to be a Senator from Maryland.

I would like to see some of our republican and conservative stars condescend to serve as Senators. There is nothing wrong with being a Senator and restoring constitutional values, please, don’t promote everyone to president right out of the gate.

Fleuries on February 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Best CPAC speech I ever saw was Rush in 2009.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Yup. I tend to watch the speeches every year, but that’s the only speech I can recall. It went a lot longer than expected, but there were no complaints from anyone who was watching. It was great. No other CPAC speech in history comes even close.

GOPRanknFile on February 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Pork-Chop on February 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I could live with ol’ Mitch McConnell – his problem is lack of spine, not principles – but an organization that invites a Bush to speak cannot possibly call itself conservative without making me chuckle.

Archivarix on February 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Doomberg on February 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM

you might be correct. For some reason i keep thinking Rubio will be Jeb’s running mate. He seems like he is grooming himself for VP not POTUS atm. the rest is good point. I think Palin might be a force3 still. She has a large following and name ID.. Much more then the rest of the people you mentioned. Depends on if she wants it this time. Don’t think people will support her if she strings it along. Rand Paul and Palin would make a good team if the goal is to freeze out the establishment and run on destroying crony capitalism and insider dealings. Carson would be even better out of the system all together god fearing accomplished man. I just hope he is prepared for the hate about to come his way from the mittbots and establishment whores….

unseen on February 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM

changer1701 on February 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM

oh, i wasn’t aware you were kidding. i’m SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SORRY HONEYBUNCH!

GhoulAid on February 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM

“I told them that I don’t have an advance copy because I don’t write out my speeches and I don’t use teleprompters…” Dr. Carson

OUCH !!

That one burns Obama to no end.
That someone could tear him a new one extemporaneously, as the good Dr. did, must eat at Obama endlessly.

Jabberwock on February 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Pork-Chop on February 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

+100000

unseen on February 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM

They invite THIS guy, over Christie? Really CPAC/TruCons?!? What’s ths guys approval rating? is it 74%? I guess not, not by a long shot?!? Is he Electable, no, not by a long-shot….We NEED Christie, at CPAC, much more than Christie needs us…

Can you people not grasp simple facts, only Non-Conservative Conservatives can win elections, ergo we need to have Christie and Christ and Huntsman at CPAC….

I’m glad President Romney is taking time out from his first 100 Days to speak at CPAC.

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Best CPAC speech I ever saw was Rush in 2009.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Too long.

rrpjr on February 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM

His story, Gifted Hands, is free streaming on Netflix right now. Check it out then buy the biography by the same name.

MikeknaJ on February 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Some advice Dr.:

Lock up your garbage cans, inform your family about the possibility of being followed, get a gun (if you don’t already have one) and open up a secure email address. Hire a security firm if you have the resources.

Gird your loins, Dr. There will come at you with everything they got. And they’re RICH. Beyond belief.

They’ll hire private detectives, data miners, hackers and a team of “crowd sourcers” to go after you.

And they NEVER give up.

Opposite Day on February 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Doomberg on February 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM

It depends who runs. I assume Rubio and Paul will enter the race. That alone makes it a better field than 2012(or 2008 for that matter). Will Allen West take a shot despite only 2 years in the House? What about Ted Cruz? I think he’ll pass because of a lack of experience(yes, I know about Obama’s thin resume, but we actually have standards), but you never know. And let’s not forget Paul Ryan. There are plenty of governors who could run too. Susana Martinez, Scott Walker, Mitch Daniels, Rick Perry, Bobby Jindal, and Bob McDonnell.

I don’t doubt for a second the 2016 bench will be deep and formidable. Maybe Rubio and Paul are the frontrunners right now, but that can easily change during a primary campaign. And the advantage Dr. Carson would have is being the outsider candidate, much like Herman Cain was last year. If the voters become disenchanted with the career politicians like they did in 2012, it could provide a major boost for him.

Doughboy on February 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

1000 times better than fatso.

Carson and Palin should bring the house down. Mitt not so much…

unseen on February 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM

You beat me to it

KBird on February 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

At least until we learn a little more about the guy.

UltimateBob on February 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

agreed. Still early yet but if the movie made about him is correct on the facts he seems 100 times better than the lying spineless cowards we now have in the leadership positions of the party.

I think we are at the phase where the saying “can’t do much worse” is relevant.

unseen on February 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM

u been taking lessons from Bishop?

unseen on February 27, 2013 at 5:05 PM

The guy has an awesome story.

At least until we learn a little more about the guy.

UltimateBob on February 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

He’s written numerous books including an autobiography and there was a movie made about it. We know way more about him than Cain. Is it possible he has skeletons in his closet? Sure. But he seems like a shrewd enough dude that if he was serious about running for any public office, he’d make damn sure that no left-wing hack lawyer would be able to bring down his candidacy.

Doughboy on February 27, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Pork-Chop on February 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Thanks for the link to cpac/2013! The line up looks really good but for a few that they could have left off, IMO!
L

letget on February 27, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Doughboy on February 27, 2013 at 5:07 PM

It’s not the leftwing he has to worry about. Recent history shows its the GOPE that seeks to destory conservatives.

unseen on February 27, 2013 at 5:08 PM

This is so wrong it’s wonderful.

rrpjr on February 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM

You’re saying we were screwed anyways even two years ago so Palin knew it was pointless to run??

So in other words we should all just give up and stop fighting?? WTF?

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM

i hear Sarah’s speaking on saturday. shouldn’t be much of a fuss. no one will even know what she said…………….jajajajajajajajajaj!

renalin on February 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I took it to mean that palin thought it was unlikely to be a year to bet Obama/Romney…not that EVERYTHING is hopeless, but that it was hopeless to think that it was anyone but “Romney’s turn.”

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

unseen on February 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Newt gave a very good one some time ago.

VegasRick on February 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Wonder if they might add Starr Parker/and or Mia Love to the list? Both ladies are awesome!
L

letget on February 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Bless Her Heart, Donna Brazile Opts For The Double-Scoop Of Stupidity

Resist We Much on February 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

he’s kinda the Urkle to Obama’s StephON

nonpartisan on February 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

nonpartisan on February 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

He’s a world-reknown neurosurgeon, you idiot.

kingsjester on February 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM

YES. this is awesome!! i can’t wait for his speech. this is so exciting! =D

(haha, christie is probably fuming.)

L

letget on February 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

agree! they both need more attention and recognition.

Sachiko on February 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM

he’s kinda the Urkle to Obama’s StephON

nonpartisan on February 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Except everybody loved Stefan.

GOPRanknFile on February 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM

he’s kinda the StephON to Obama’s Urkle

nonpartisan on February 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Edited for accuracy.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM

nonpartisan on February 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

He’s a world-reknown neurosurgeon, you idiot.

kingsjester on February 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM

But he’s a practicing Christian, so he’s a mortal threat to the Democrats.

Thus, to them he’s nothing more than an Uncle Tom.

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

The next Republican field will be formidable.

Sure.

katy the mean old lady on February 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Yep. You’re right.

kingsjester on February 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM

The real reason Chris Christie isn’t speaking.

DeathtotheSwiss on February 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Wonderful American – wonderful man – wonderful example for all of us.

jake-the-goose on February 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

nonpartisan on February 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Your mom is calling, she says your spaghettios are ready. Oh, and that ProActiv came in the mail for that pesky acne.

BeachBum on February 27, 2013 at 5:32 PM

They should totally give him the boot and let the Fat Man speak. They hate the big fat fatties.

CycloneCDB on February 27, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Do not know much about him. But forced creation of a health savings account at birth? Does not sound like a freedom loving person to me…

Either you force people to lock away their own wealth or you force others to fund the accounts. Neither of which sounds like freedom in my book.

I understand the concept of personal responsibility, but when the government forces it, it is no longer personal responsibility…

astonerii on February 27, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Doughboy on February 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

The potential bench is deep, but if the establishment unites early behind Rubio (or a Jeb/Rubio ticket as unseen suggested) do you really see any of these guys willing to challenge the GOP by entering the race? I think the number of people willing to run as true “insurgents” is actually very small. I think Rubio’s been anointed the same way Romney was, and I don’t see that anyone can pose a serious challenge to him now, except maybe Rand Paul. I’m not wedded to Paul and would much rather see Mike Pence in the race, but Paul seems to presently be the only serious, viable, opposition candidate.

Carson’s a good guy but he would get annihilated by Rubio the same way that Cain and Gingrich got destroyed. I don’t see where Carson’s funding comes from. Ditto Allen West. They would both count as vanity/longshot candidates in my opinion.

Doomberg on February 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I don’t buy that as a good excuse for Sarah to not run. Hopefully is was b/c her family didn’t want her to.

Santorum with no name recognition or money made a pretty good run at Romney. I think Sarah with her name grassroots support would’ve beaten Mittens.

And she had the guts to fight and beat maobama.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Lets not drool over this dude just yet.

Rusty Allen on February 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM

It’s racist not to let Christie eat at CPAC.

Rusty Allen on February 27, 2013 at 5:39 PM

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM
u been taking lessons from Bishop?

unseen on February 27, 2013 at 5:05 PM

LOL, good one!

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM

So he’s a “brilliant” neuro-surgeon…so what? He’s smart….I know lotsa of smart people who aren’t neuro-surgeons…so he worked hard, I know lotsa of hard-working people that aren’t neuro-surgeons…

The fact is he got a boost so get where he is today…someone else built that hospital…someone else built that scalpel…

Let’s be honest here he didn’t build that career, it took a village to build that career, somewhere some unionized teacher give him a leg up, somewhere some SIEU janitor mopped his floor…and each of those people deserve a cut of his pie…it’s only fair. And the Obamaphone Lady deserves a cut of his pie, because that’s only fair too…because she…..is poor, yes, poor and Dr Carson took money from her that could ahve been hers! So she needs some of Dr Carson’s money….

Michelle and I have no problem with hard-working people and those people working hard, as long as they support Michelle and I….and the Obamaphone womyn, unless the Obamaphone womyn’s cut is going to take some from my plate or Katzenberg’s plate, then we have a problem, but then Dr Carson can just cough up a little more too…it’s only fair.

And on that note, let me end this, by saying God Bless America.

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Doomberg on February 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I agree on Rand. I was really warming up to him over the last few weeks but his yes vote on Hagel really p!sses me off.

His excuse doesn’t cut it. Rand said that ultimately Maobama gets to nominate whoever he wants. So that means if Maobama asked Rand to drop his pants and grab his ankles he’d do it??

Or maybe his daddy’s nuttiness is rubbing off on him and the Hagel vote shows how he really feels.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Can we get a thread about the pope saying it felt like The Lord was sleeping through his papacy?

Rusty Allen on February 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Jeb/Rubio ticket

Not really an option…two Floridians? Kinda of like a Bloomberg/Christie ticket or the proposed Romney/Christie ticket…

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Three undeniable facts:

CPAC is a joke.

The Republican Party is already dead as a vehicle of conservatism.

Dr. Ben Carson will not run for federal office.

Thank you.

gryphon202 on February 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM

So in other words we should all just give up and stop fighting?? WTF?

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I’m disputing Allahpundit’s silly contention that Carson has no options because the best time for an insurgency candidacy was two years ago. And I’m assering that Palin correctly realized that the Establishment was not as weak as we thought and that Romney would probably not be denied.

What I’m saying is the opposite of “we should all give up”, i.e., that the idea of foreclosing on someone like Carson at this point is about as pinched and defeatist a position as one can take.

If anything, the possibilities for Carson grow better by the minute. What this country will be going through in the next few years is beyond Marco Rubio’s imagination. But not, I think, beyond Ben Carson’s. In that one speech he demonstrated comprehensions, proclivities and nerve Marco Rubio can’t even dream about.

rrpjr on February 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM

And on that note, let me end this, by saying God Bless America.

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM

The incredibly sad thing is this was forgotten yet how many morons keep talking about the 47% comment til this day?

And around the same time the 47% video was released there was a video of maobama speaking at a college 10 years ago or something talking about redistribution that most didn’t care about.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Lets not drool over this dude just yet.

Rusty Allen on February 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM

True. But it is kind of funny how Obama single-handedly launched him to political fame.

visions on February 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Has the Left viciously and unabashedly attacked him because of his skin color yet?

visions on February 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM

gryphon202 on February 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM

And thank you.

Rusty Allen on February 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I will say, seriously, let’s not start s#cking each other’s d!cks gentlemen…he’s never run for anything….he’s never managed anything….

Basically, we are falling all over this guy like people fell over Cuomo in ’84, Obama in ’04 or that geeky 14 y.o. who spoke at CPAC a number of years ago. A speech is not a campaign, much less an administration….

How about he decides he’d like to be FL’s Governor, first?

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

The next Republican field will be formidable

Where are these Reagan clones coming from?

vityas on February 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

rrpjr on February 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM

By that reasoning it was Palin who gave up. Just b/c she viewed the GOPe as being strong is not reason not to fight, especially when the country hangs in the balance.

I love Palin and will always admire her but she should’ve ran.

I agree with you on Carson. We should definitely be open to him and not defer to career politicians, especially when most of them have less than stellar track records.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Decent guy. I hope he doesn’t fall into the trap of making his speech about Obama. I want an unapologetic defence of conservative principles and a good introduction of himself to the public. It time for unifying conservative figure who would do what Obama failed to do.

celticdefender on February 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM

For some reason i keep thinking Rubio will be Jeb’s running mate.unseen on February 27, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I’ve thot this since the Primaries of 2012. Time will tell.

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Paul’s vote on Hagel is annoying but isn’t a dealbreaker for me. The key things will be how he votes on amnesty, how he votes on gun control, how he votes on debt ceiling and spending increases, how he votes on tax increases, how he votes on the sequester, etc. If he turns into another Paul Ryan where he talks up fiscal conservatism while routinely voting with the Democrats and GOP establishment on most issues, I will reconsider my support for him.

Doomberg on February 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Agreed. I would bet just about anything that a Jeb/Rubio ticket won’t happen. It’ll probably be Rubio and a current governor.

GOPRanknFile on February 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM

The next Republican field will be formidable.

Oh really now.

VorDaj on February 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM

nonpartisan on February 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

The libs sure get nervous when someone of color gets uppity on them.

CurtZHP on February 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I’ve thot this since the Primaries of 2012. Time will tell.

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I thought so too, but from the articles I’m reading recently it seems like Rubio is taking aim at the presidency directly. Probably people are getting on board because they think it will somehow bring in the Hispanic vote (despite the fact that Rubio is Cuban-American and the votes they’re targeting are illegal Mexican immigrants).

Doomberg on February 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Carson is a breath of fresh air, but meanwhile……75% of Asian voters say “me likee bigger government that offer more services”

And as for Chris Christie, I’ve two words for him…..SPRINGSTEEN SUCKS.

Springsteen is such a phony, in the mold of another phony…Woody Guthrie. Both of them had fake accents, both of them claimed to “luv the land, luv the people, luv the culture”, however “the system is the problem, the system needs to be changed”. Screw them both. I’ve got about 2,000 records and CDs from the 60′s and 70′s, and I’m proud to say that I don’t own anything by Springsteen. If I want to hear music by a New Jerseyian, I’ll listen to the Four Seasons, the Critters, the Smithereens, Donald Fagen, Dionne Warwick, or just about any jazz record engineered by the master, Rudy Van Gelder, in his studio in Englewood Cliffs.

ardenenoch on February 27, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Me likey…

Seven Percent Solution on February 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Today we must all be aware that political protocol takes precedence over constitutional procedure. However you say – WHAT THE – what does this mean… in relation to the tabulation whereby we must once again realize that the great reconquesta story is now being rehearsed before our very eyes, in the rise of Marco Rubio… indicating that only a bilingual hombre can receive…the award for reconquesta, unlike Kenyan Hussein Obama whose reconquesta plans don’t hold water. Amigos – friends, we are gathered here not only to accept in behalf of one man without any borders – one who has found that the world in itself which seems to be a time of the toad. This in itself is an edifice of the great glory that has gone beyond, and the intuitive feeling of the American people, based on the assumption that the intelligence not only as Mencken once said, “He who underestimates the American voter will not go broke.” This is merely a small indication of this vast throng gathered here to once again behold and to perceive that which has gone behind and to that which might go forward into the future…we’ve got to bulldoze these borders.

This is the main deterrent upon which we have gathered our strength and all the others who say, “What the hell did that get?” – We don’t know. We’ve got to perforce support the bilingual nino… And as Miller once said in one of his great novels- what did he … that language is only necessary when bilingual communication is endangered. And you sit there bewildered, and Pinter who went further said “It is not the lack of communication but fear of communication.” That’s what the damn thing is it’s we fear – communication – especially Spanish communication. Oh – fortunately the prize has only been given to authors – unlike the Academy Award which is given to a female and a male, indicating the derision of the human species – Damn it! But we have no paranoia, and Senator McCain has attained, and has created for himself serenity, and it is only his insanity that has kept him alive in his senility.

Alright, moving right along here in my brief remarks. We speak of the organ…of the orgasm…Who the hell wrote this crap !!!??? And the bi-partisan panel has determined to give the prize to Marco Rubio for his EARNESTY’S RAINBOW. Now EARNESTY’S RAINBOW is a token of this man’s genius…he told me so himself and repeatedly …that he could…in other words, have been more specific, but rather than to allude to the mundane, he has come to the conclusion that brevity is the importance of our nation’s shallow first world existence. God damn! Ladies and Gentlemen. To the distinguished panel on the, on the dais and to the other winners, for poetry and religion and science. The time will come when a first world America will outlive its usefulness. Marx, either Groucho or Karl, I can’t remember which, once said that America is the opiate of the people. I say that when America outlives its usefulness and becomes a majority Spanish speaking nation, then opium…will be the opiate…Ahh that’s not a bad idea… we are going to need that …

All right…However, I want to thank Mr. PUNDIT, ALLAH PUNDIT of the HOTGAS Press, who has made it possible for you people to be here this afternoon to enjoy the Reconquesta Citation – Marco Rubio’s . EARNESTY’S RAINBOW – a small contribution to a certain degree, since there are over seven billion people in the world today. 450 of them … million live in the United States and Mexico which is a very, very small amount compared to those who will be miserable elsewhere…Well, I say that you will be on the road to new horizons, for we who live in a society where citizenship is a commodity and a politician can become a TV personality, it’s not easy to conform if you have any morality…I, I, I said that myself many years ago…But I do want to thank la Raza…I mean the DNC, the organization for the $1,000 in affirmative action scholarships they’ve given out…tonight they took in over $4,000,000, but they do have expenses you know, and I think that I have another appointment. I would like to stay here, but for the sake of brevity I, I must leave. I do want to thank you, I want to thank Mr. Allah Pundit. I want to thank Mr. Morrisey, who just ran through the auditorium and out a fire exit, and I want to thank Marco Rubio – acting el Presidenta of la Raza Mexiamerica and also Mr. Obama – acting Pharaoh and Drone Commander of the World – and also I want to thank Professor Irwin Corey and thank you.

RasThavas on February 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I agree about Palin. It’s been difficult getting past her decision not to run. All the Mama Grizzly and the “servant’s heart” stuff, and the way so many supporters were strung along. At the same time, we can’t know what pressures she was facing (family death threats, etc.) Who knows? I don’t. It’s a struggle to honestly understand lacking some better knowledge.

I think of Reagan’s decision to run in 76 against an incumbent — he threw himself into the fray knowing the costs and odds. You have to do this to be seen as serious. Palin said you don’t need a title, or they don’t matter, etc. But this isn’t altogether true. You do need a title at some point. You do need to vie for power. You do need to do battle for the crown. Or it falls into the wrong hands, or on the wrong head.

And so we were left with Romney.

rrpjr on February 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I love Palin and will always admire her but she should’ve ran.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

This is one of the best answers I’ve read on why Sarah Palin did not run in 2012. It’s from another thread on HA.

PappyD61 on February 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Oh please, didn’t you even see the GOP machine shoot her down, from Coulter , Krauthammer, Christie, Cheney, Will, Noonan, Ingraham, Rove, etc. just as the primary season started, and she made a fool of the media. They feared her more than the left because she’s a reformer with character and loved by the base.

Only an absolute fool would have run against a party apparatus that just tried to lynch her.

Maybe you missed John McCain’s crew try the same thing on cue from the GOP after he lost the election?

Even MacArthur knew that retreat in the face of overwhelming enemy odds can lead to victory later.

Don L on February 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Doomberg on February 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Of all the issues I think Rand will be good on them all except amnesty which is a weak spot for pretty much everyone. His proposal is a little bit better in that every few years there would be another vote on the reforms based on the progress of the border security.

I fear he’s alot like his dad on foreign policy which really bothers me though.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM

And so we were left with Romney.

rrpjr on February 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Very well said. I was one of those supporters who was strung along.

I’m thinking there may have been some death threats or it was her family that said no: she said a few of her kids were split and then it came down to a deciding vote.

She’s wrong about not needing a title. Now we’re stuck with obamacare for life, crippling debt, and endless regulations.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 6:14 PM