CPAC’s newest speaker: Dr. Ben Carson

posted at 4:41 pm on February 27, 2013 by Allahpundit

Will any speaker there receive a warmer reception from the audience than him? Besides Mitt Romney, I mean.

Ace thinks this is proof positive that he’s at least considering a run for office. I don’t know. I’ve hashed that out before; realistically, there just aren’t many opportunities. The time for an upstart outsider bid for the White House was two years ago, against an exceedingly weak GOP field. The next Republican field will be formidable. Plus, he strikes me as someone who’s sincerely invested in his message and wants to spread it irrespective of whether it opens any new doors for him professionally. CPAC’s an opportunity to do that, even if nothing bigger comes of it.

The American Conservative Union (ACU) today announced that Dr. Ben Carson will be a featured speaker at CPAC 2013 — the 40th annual Conservative Political Action Conference. America’s largest gathering of conservative leaders and activists will be held Thursday, March 14 – Saturday, March 16, 2013.

“Dr. Ben Carson represents the optimism and hope of the future of the conservative movement, while at the same time he articulates the deep fiscal and social challenges that our Nation faces,” said ACU Chairman Al Cardenas. “We look forward to welcoming Dr. Carson to the CPAC stage in March.”

Free advice: If he wants to win over the crowd, start off with the following anecdote.

The White House repeatedly asked Ben Carson for his speech before the rising Republican star criticized President Obama at the National Prayer Breakfast earlier this month.

Carson, a prominent neurosurgeon at Johns Hopkins University, declined to do so, noting that he doesn’t put his speeches down on paper beforehand.

“I told them that I don’t have an advance copy because I don’t write out my speeches and I don’t use teleprompters…”

Exit question: How overtly political will this speech get? He was reined in a bit at the National Prayer Breakfast because of the circumstances (and ended up taking heat anyway for getting even a little bit political there), but there are no such constraints at CPAC. Will it be a speech in broad themes about religious belief and personal responsibility or is he going to get into policy? Follow the link to the Hill article above and read down a bit for a preview, maybe. Note the bit about “poisoned candy.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

How will Jesse, Al, and Ben spin this one? Dr. Carson, using their definition, is a “real” American black man whose parents and grandparents had to deal with black struggles in America; not some Johnny-come-lately whose black roots are from his Kenyan father.

Tater Salad on February 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM

The next Republican field will be formidable

Allah, I LOVE your writing and respect your opinions but … really? I just don`t see how, save for a (very) few who might or might not decide to run. I`m feeling the boneage the Rep party has provided for far too long, nope I just do not see “formidable” anywhere out there.

NY Conservative on February 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM

This is one of the best answers I’ve read on why Sarah Palin did not run in 2012. It’s from another thread on HA.

PappyD61 on February 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Oh please, didn’t you even see the GOP machine shoot her down, from Coulter , Krauthammer, Christie, Cheney, Will, Noonan, Ingraham, Rove, etc. just as the primary season started, and she made a fool of the media. They feared her more than the left because she’s a reformer with character and loved by the base.

Only an absolute fool would have run against a party apparatus that just tried to lynch her.

Maybe you missed John McCain’s crew try the same thing on cue from the GOP after he lost the election?

Even MacArthur knew that retreat in the face of overwhelming enemy odds can lead to victory later.

Don L on February 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I don’t disagree that she had all that against her. That being said, call me a fool b/c she still should’ve run and fought those b@stards!

She had a ton of grassroots support. I was going to Organize4Palin meetings: how many candidates had groups voluntarily meeting for them before they had even decided whether or not to run?

And she had the real conservative support in Rush and Levin.

Even if she had run and lost, wouldn’t it have been worth it? To die trying than to not even fight at all?

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Of all the issues I think Rand will be good on them all except amnesty which is a weak spot for pretty much everyone. His proposal is a little bit better in that every few years there would be another vote on the reforms based on the progress of the border security.

I will be willing to grit my teeth and bear amnesty IF he is absolutely perfect on everything else, though to be honest I think if we do pass amnesty the Republican Party will never win another election. The GOP is facing likely doom as it is, but amnesty changes it to 100% certainty.

I fear he’s alot like his dad on foreign policy which really bothers me though.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM

It’s another black mark, though my hope is that given how his support is currently drawn from the conservative base rather than just Ronulans, we can convince him to just leave Israel alone as opposed to actively working to harm it.

Doomberg on February 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

The CPAC speaker line-up is looking really good – but, it would look a whole lot better if they would un-invite Jeb Bush and Mitch McConnell.

Pork-Chop on February 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

And Mitt Romney, the “severely conservative” one

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

nonpartisan = nobrain

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2013 at 6:21 PM

The next Republican field will be formidable.

/rimshot

eh on February 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Three undeniable facts:

CPAC is a joke.

The Republican Party is already dead as a vehicle of conservatism.

Dr. Ben Carson will not run for federal office.

Thank you.

gryphon202 on February 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM

cannot argue with this assessment, the only variable seems to be if Dr. Carson actually gives it a try.

NY Conservative on February 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

None is more imbecillic than the Lilliputian Obama. Him sitting on his hands, uncomfortable as Hell, when the great self-made and highly accomplished neurosurgeon spoke was worth every second of Obama’s humiliation.

The man/mensch has a great foundation and a pair of steely ones.

Obama=nobrains on accomplishments (not counting handouts due to hue).

Go to Hades you tiny gnat. You are not allowed to even walk in the shadow of this great man, whether he runs for any office, or not.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I never felt strung along by Sarah Palin. It’s always been my thinking that something happened during that last month that swayed her decision. Everything pointed to her running. My guess is that there was some new and horrible shower of death threats to her or her family or else one of her kids really needed her. I also think this is part and parcel of the difference between a man and a woman running for office. I’m not saying that to grip, just to note the reality. It is what it is.

I give her the benefit of the doubt. You know why? Because it hasn’t been her MO to be a jerk.

INC on February 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I can’t believe the GOP can’t see this, yet these moronic spineless wimps keep proposing it!

I fear he’s alot like his dad on foreign policy which really bothers me though.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Doomberg on February 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I could still end up supporting him but I’m not as gung-ho about it as I was a few days ago as the Hagel vote really stings.

Side note I had some fun calling Richard Shelby’s office last week (the hack from Ala who switched to support Hagel). WHen they answered I asked why does Shelby think America is a bully and why is he in favor of drastically cutting back our conventional and nuclear weapons? The staffer said that Shelby doesn’t support those things and then I said then why in the h@ll did that hack vote for Hagel??? I told the staffer that he was an embarrassment to the South before she hung up on me.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Dr. Carson loves and respects the children.

Obama destroys and abandons them.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM

grip s/b gripe

INC on February 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Dr. Carson loves and respects the children.

Obama destroys and abandons them.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM

That is absolutely true. Obama uses children as political pawns.

INC on February 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM

The new black conservative savoir. What happened to Tyrone West?

HotAirLib on February 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

INC on February 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I used to think the same. Especially with the bus tour and the Undefeated.

Or maybe she really was undecided right up to the last minute.

I do agree that something drastic happened in that last month. That was right around the time when that scumbag verbally attacked Bristol in a bar.

I’m a huge Yankees fan and Sarah said no right before the Yankees got knocked out of the playoffs. I was alot more devasted by her not running than basesball which suddenly didn’t seem nearly as important.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Great news that Dr. Caron is speaking at CPAC..:)

Dire Straits on February 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

And Mitt Romney, the “severely conservative” one

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Yes, well, Romney is certainly not a conservative, but, at least I understand why he (and McConnell) have been asked to speak. I do not understand why Jeb Bush was invited – I think pretty much every speaker has something conservative to say, except for Bush.

Pork-Chop on February 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM

The new black conservative savoir. What happened to Tyrone West?

HotAirLib on February 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Quite the contrast isn’t?

On one hand you have a self-made doctor, someone who believes in individual resposibility.

On the other you have a marxist community organizing thug from chicago who never ran a d@mn thing before running the country into the ground.

Now get off the board you big dope!!

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Just for nobrain and HAL, you utter fools.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Pork-Chop on February 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM

None of the 3 s/b there. They are all disgraces.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Herman Cain 2: Electric Failabaloo

eh on February 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Very well said. I was one of those supporters who was strung along.

I’m thinking there may have been some death threats or it was her family that said no: she said a few of her kids were split and then it came down to a deciding vote.

She’s wrong about not needing a title. Now we’re stuck with obamacare for life, crippling debt, and endless regulations.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Same here, strung along is putting it nicely but as you said, who knows what the lay of the land looked like from her vantage point. I`ll have to disagree on the 0bamacare/debt/regulations thing though, as I see it, when the house of cards comes crashing down upon us all (and it will on the current trajectory) we might have a chance at restoring what made this Nation the envy of the world again…time`ll tell.

NY Conservative on February 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM

HotAirLib on February 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Col. Alen West is speaking at CPAC..:)

Dire Straits on February 27, 2013 at 6:35 PM

The new black conservative savoir. What happened to Tyrone West?

HotAirLib on February 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Well articulated! Leftists always telegraph who they fear.

You obviously have the wrong West. For that:

HAL-

Del Dolemonte on February 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM

NY Conservative on February 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I think I’ve remained somewhat optimistic about being able to eventually turn things around but the main thing is I don’t think obamacare will ever get repealed.

John Roberts can burn in h@ll.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Great news that Dr. Carson is speaking at CPAC..:)

Dire Straits on February 27, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Sorry..:)

Dire Straits on February 27, 2013 at 6:40 PM

The next Republican field will be formidable

NY Conservative on February 27, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I think this so called “formidable” field will all be hampered by amnesty caves, votes to increase the debt limit, not standing up to Obama, etc.

Carson will be a huge breath of fresh air from this toxic waste called the current political field. I think America will be ready for a huge change like that.

karenhasfreedom on February 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I never felt strung along by Sarah Palin …

INC on February 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I agree with this. EVERYTHING pointed to her running – she said all of the right things – her brother, Chuck Jr., made some interesting comments which indicated that her family thought that she was going to run – ‘The Undefeated’ had really boosted her stature – all of the stars had aligned, and then at the last minute … boom.

Something HUGE happened – and, having followed Sarah since prior to McCain choosing her, I have to think it was something to do with her family – probably her children.

Pork-Chop on February 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM
I thought so too, but from the articles I’m reading recently it seems like Rubio is taking aim at the presidency directly. Probably people are getting on board because they think it will somehow bring in the Hispanic vote (despite the fact that Rubio is Cuban-American and the votes they’re targeting are illegal Mexican immigrants).

Doomberg on February 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM

It does seem that Rubio may be going alone. But he could just be out front making some statements instead of Jeb doing it, to see how it plays.
I doubt if the Establishment R’s would back a short term Senator over a Governor like Jeb. Jeb has some Hispanic family ties too and was a very popular Governor in FL. He’s pro-Amnesty and gung ho on Education. We’ll see as more time goes by.

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM

he’s kinda the Urkle to Obama’s StephON

nonpartisan on February 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Nah, Obama’s Urkle

Ben Carson is a groundbreaking neurosurgeon, who has accomplished feats the world had only imagined.

He pioneered the surgical techniques that allow twins conjoined at the head to not only survive, but thrive.

Watch the movie, Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story, starring Oscar winner, Cuba Gooding, Jr. Since you do not appear to be either a deep thinker or skillful researcher, watching a movie may actually educate you.

Resist We Much on February 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Am I the only one who feels the need to comment on how crazy this RasThavas guy sounds? Does everyone else just scroll past his ten-paragraph comments?

steebo77 on February 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM

The new black conservative savoir. What happened to Tyrone West?

HotAirLib on February 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Whatever this Tyrone West did or said, it failed to provoke the lefty pundits to react with a bunch of snarky insults, thus the circuit never closed and the machinery of rightwing affirmative action never turned over.

In order to go full Herman Cain, a black person has to say something provacative (not nessesarily original or intelligent) about the left. Then the left have to notice the remarks and mock him in response, which enables the righty punditry to “put the shoe on the other foot” with the accusation that the left are the real racists for not supporting the black carnie shillindividual’s brave stand against whatever his remarks referenced.

Residual use is made of the person throughout the following primary season by individual righties seeking to deflect accusations of racism (i.e,: “…in fact I would totally vote for [black guy]…”).

eh on February 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I will say, seriously, let’s not start s#cking each other’s d!cks gentlemen…he’s never run for anything….he’s never managed anything….

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Is this language really necessary?

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Is this language really necessary?

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Depends if yu like Winston Wolf or not…I happen to.

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Resist We Much on February 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I think it’s cute when you spell tire with a y.

steebo77 on February 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Depends if yu like Winston Wolf or not…I happen to.

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

That’s awesome, my favorite movie of all time!

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 6:58 PM

The new black conservative savoir. What happened to Tyrone West?
HotAirLib on February 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Um, savoir? Are you speaking french? Sing Daisy for us HAL, in French.

BeachBum on February 27, 2013 at 7:04 PM

And she had the real conservative support in Rush and Levin.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I know she had quite an army of supporters and volunteers. I and many others wanted her to run, but it was her decision not to.

Would it have been worth it to run and lose? No, I don’t think so. The timing was wrong and even had she won the Nomination, the Democratic Incumbent and all of the opposition she faced, guaranteed a loss. That’s my opinion.

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Depends if yu like Winston Wolf or not…I happen to.

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM

The difference is that your movie isn’t running on HA, but your language is.

You should have some respect for other people.

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Who is Tyrone West?

JohnBrown on February 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Sounds like a defeatist mindset to me and it’s in exact contrast to her career in ALaska. She fought corruption in the AK GOP that had a good chance of ending her own career.

So in other words, if it’s going to be a tough fight, you think it’s better to simply give up and let the GOPe and liberals ruin the country?

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM

The new black conservative savoir. What happened to Tyrone West?

HotAirLib on February 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

…he’s “savior-ing” the idea of HotLips singing DAISY…once HotLips gets done…”savouring” his own sphincter!

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2013 at 7:29 PM

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I predict Jeb’s education work is going to blow up in his face. He and his foundation have been advocates for Common Core State Standards, Obama’s and Erne Duncan’s stealth plan to nationalize a school curriculum. Jeb can’t give it up, IMHO, because education gave him fame.

CC is an unfunded mandate boondoggle that is going to kill political careers, and deservedly so. It was too quickly accepted by states without careful examination. Not only will it cost money that states don’t have, but five of the validation committee members refused to sign off on the standards. More than 500 early childhood professionals issued a statement opposing the K-3 standards. I think this past year is when it began the roll out of being taught in some states. Florida is already wailing about not enough money for it. By 2016 Republican politicians and maybe even a few Democrats will rue the day they every were on board with it.

INC on February 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I think it’s little simplistic to think that just because Palin diden’t run in 2012, that she gave up. She seems to one of only a few who are currently speaking truth to power.

idesign on February 27, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Didn’t

idesign on February 27, 2013 at 7:39 PM

And she had the real conservative support in Rush and Levin.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Yes. I was also in O4P. It was extraordinary, and growing. If she’d declared, I think we would have seen a chain of phenomena unique to American politics. The media would have lost its mind, cuking the air out of every other candidacy (small wonder they all feared her entry). I expected her to base her campaign on the “bus tour” or “book tour” model — around, over and through the media but exploiting them at same time. This was genius strategy as it brought the media into contact with middle-America and forced people into new realizations about both Palin and the culture, that is, how reality is rendered — to her benefit, I think.

rrpjr on February 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM

When HAL mentions “Tyrone West,” he thinks he’s making fun of Allen West, whose middle name is Tyrone.

steebo77 on February 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I take that back. His middle name is Bernard. HAL’s just being a racist.

steebo77 on February 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM

CPAC’s newest speaker: Dr. Ben Carson

…the Plantation is not going to be happy!

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM

The fantastic work she did in Alaska was one thing. Running for President under the circumstances were entirely different.

In my opinion, that was more than a tough fight; it was an impossible one.
If one doesn’t have even a chance to win, then it’s foolish to try. The odds against her were too great and the time was not right. You need to see that the Establishment Republicans did not even want Romney to win!!!
They wanted Obama to win. Think on that. Why did you think McCain didn’t win? Because the Establishment Republicans did not want to oppose the first “black” person running and be called that evil word “racist”. There was a lot more going on behind the scenes.

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 7:46 PM

idesign on February 27, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Let me put it this way:

If something big came up in Oct 2011 such as some serious death threats or her family really needed her then that’s one thing.

But if she didn’t run b/c she didn’t think she could be the GOPe or obama as others have suggested then that is clearly giving up.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 7:46 PM

The new black conservative savoir. What happened to Tyrone West?
HotAirLib on February 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

HotLips!…why don’t you just give us YOUR oral presentation on the Jacksons and JugEars?

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2013 at 7:47 PM

In my opinion, that was more than a tough fight; it was an impossible one.

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Good point.

Let’s not even nominate someone in 2016.

In fact let’s make maobama king for life b/c it’ll be awfully hard to get a conservative elected!

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM

O/T Levin has just called a surge against Eric Cantor. He’s threatened the Conservatives in the House over a Senate passed bill” Violence Against Women Act” He warned the House to not block the Rule to bring it up for a vote. Only 9 R’s voted no. Levin said it’s a horrific bill passed by the Senate. A vote is scheuled for tomorrow.

Levin also said someone emailed/called him and that if anyone is convicted of “domestic violence”/speech/stress etc then that person is not allowed to possess a gun!!

More about this at http://www.redstate.com Horowitz I think wrote this.

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM

rrpjr on February 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM

What a shame and what could’ve been!

Hopefully she’ll run in 2016, we need her. Really no one really measures up to her. If she doesn’t run I’d want Cruz to run.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 7:53 PM

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Mittens and McLame were both wimps and terrible candidates. They refused to stand up to the media and the liberal machine.

So basically these wimps did alot to shoot themselves in the foot.

Sarah would’ve fought them. I’d think she’d make an issue out of Fast and Furious and Benghazi as well.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Good point.

Let’s not even nominate someone in 2016.

LevinFan on February 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM

That’s silly. Unless the Country goes down the tube before 2016, Obama cannot run again. So it will be a different time and anyone can run then, including Sarah if she chooses.

Also, remember Sarah is a Christian and would have been in prayer to God for guidance in this matter. We really don’t know, so even tho I was disappointed, I knew it was her decision to make and I’m ok with that.

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM

INC on February 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I was wondering if Jeb was involved in the Common Core. Just have been so busy with other things and haven’t had time to find out. I’m also wondering about Kasich here in Ohio. Since his cave on Medicaid Expansion and a big speech about education, that thot crossed my mind.

It’s a shame that the politicians can bring up proposals, vote and pass so many laws and the American people find out after the fact. There must be a better way.

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM

The difference is that your movie isn’t running on HA, but your language is.

You should have some respect for other people.

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Sorry I offended your @rse, didn’t mean to…just a little movie levity..oh well.

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I think there is a middle ground on Palin…I was p!ssed (Sorry Blue Fox) she didn’t run and I did feel jerked around….but she may have made the decision that Romney’s Turn and an Incumbent was too hi a hurdle…

Doesn’t mean we’re doomed or that we run no one…H3ll she might even run…and I think Palin would be a good candidate, but for me, at least, she needs to get in early and campaign…no more Bus Tours, no more Iowa Rallies…jump in at T-13 Months and go for it.

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 8:18 PM

eh on February 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Something like this? And more?

Harry Alford, the president of the Black Chamber of Commerce, praised the National Rifle Association in his speech at the event.

“The National Rifle Association was started, founded by religious leaders who wanted to protect free slaves from the Ku Klux Klan,” said Alford.

“They would raise money, buy arms, show the free slaves how to use those arms and protect their families. God bless you. Many of us probably wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for the NRA.”

This was at the National Press Club in D.C. about a week ago. Well worth the time to watch this. 1:14 time length.

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 8:33 PM

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Sorry I offended your @rse, didn’t mean to…just a little movie levity..oh well.

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Thank you. I read various words with the * in place, but that one was a little too graphic.

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 8:36 PM

JFKY on February 27, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I agree that if she decides to run, then start early. Takes time to fight off all of the opposition. It used to be your party would back you, but not anymore. The MSM will still be what they are now, even tho Obama may not be in office, Lord willing. The last thing the Establishment Republicans/Rove’s RINOPAC/Dems want is a Conservative/Tea Party or Sarah Palin!!

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Aw… Damnit. I just decided a couple of days ago not to attend. Crap, crap, crap.

Fallon on February 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Oh, yeah. I haven’t seen anything that says he was in on its development, but he’s been making nice with Common Core and Arne Duncan.

Arne Duncan:

GOP leaders like Jeb Bush and governors Mitch Daniels, Chris Christie, and Bill Haslam have supported the Common Core standards because they realize states must stop dummying down academic standards and lying about the performance of children and schools.

Jeb Bush:

“I don’t believe that common core is a federal initiative,” Bush said. “A majority of the Republican governors support this. And we’ll see how the implementation goes. Romney’s view is that standards need to be benchmarked to the world. … Forty-five states and the District of Columbia have signed on to this. … I don’t think it’s coercive.”

In his [Arne Duncan's] speech to Jeb Bush’s Foundation for Excellence in Education Summit EdWeek reports:

I

n remarks at the two-day forum in Washington of the Foundation for Excellence in Education, run by former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Duncan said he has an “ambitious” second-term agenda that includes holding the line on initiatives he started during his first four years. He cited specifically the tough road ahead for common standards, common tests, and teacher evaluations.

INC on February 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM

INC on February 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM

They’re all in on this together, aren’t they? And, by “they” I mean the big government progressives in both parties.

Fallon on February 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Neal McCluskey at Cato has been following CC.

This is from summer 2011.

The Education Week report links to a letter that Mr. Bush sent to a subcommittee of the American Legislative Exchange Council that was slated to simply take up discussion of model legislation opposing national standards. Mr. Bush urged members to table the proposal. In other words, he urged them to not even talk about it, because apparently even considering that the Common Core might have dangerous downsides should be avoided, even among people who believe in individualism and liberty.

Unfortunately, quashing debate arguably wasn’t the worst aspect of Mr. Bush’s letter. No, that was the fundamentally flawed pretenses he offered for why Common Core should be embraced without debate.

Here’s the letter:

McCluskey is right. Bush makes claims about CC that are not true.

Follow up by McCluskey on ALEC. It seems Bush wasn’t the deciding factor, but his letter still stands.

INC on February 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM

INC on February 27, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Thanks INC. I’m going to call my State Rep & State Senator (they both are against the Medicaid Expansion) and find out about this education plan Gov Kasich spoke about. I’ll find out if it is that Common Core.

I already told my Rep & Senator that if they pass this then I don’t think Kasich will win re-election.

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Fallon on February 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM

That they are.

INC on February 27, 2013 at 9:21 PM

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM

You’re welcome.

This is one thing I wrote with links to sites fighting CC. At the moment Ohio is still grey–that means they’ve adopted CC, but not much is going on to fight it.

These Utah moms are keeping a master list that they’re updating.

INC on February 27, 2013 at 9:23 PM

INC on February 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM

What is it about these politicians that make them think they know best?

I am so sick of all of them.

Mark Levin has a surge against that weasel Eric Cantor and his threats to the House Conservatives.

I think I’m going to have a busy day tomorrow:-)

Thanks INC

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I agree. I have become so sickened. It wouldn’t be so maddening and demoralizing if only the Dems were intent on this.

They all need to be tested for narcissism.

INC on February 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

One other thing.

It’s not just those on the right who don’t like CC. There are libs, teachers and educators who hate it.

For example, I think Christopher H. Tienken, editor of AASA (American Association of School Administrators) Journal of Scholarship and Practice, was an early opponent, and he unsparingly scorches Common Core in his commentary, Common Core State Standards: An Example of Data-less Decision Making.

INC on February 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM

They all need to be tested for narcissism.That link to Cantor is infuriating. We need one more midterm with more conservatives in the House.

INC on February 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I think there should be a law against narcissism in any politician. Then if found guilty, convicted and thrown out of office:-)

Oh, Cantor I can’t stand. This won’t be the first time he’s worked with the left against Conservatives. He used House funds to support Lugar!!!
Grrrr. Corruption must be contagious since most everyone that goes to D.C. catches it.

I’m going to have a short night.

I’ll check out that other comment of yours too and copy them to my notepad before bedtime:-)

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 9:41 PM

INC on February 27, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Oh, just saw that info also. Will include those too.

Gee, I think the American people need Staff paid for from every Rep & Senator in D.C. They can charge it to “Defense”:-) Our Defense!!

bluefox on February 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM

The new black conservative savoir. What happened to Tyrone West?

HotAirLib on February 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I always find it amusing when liberals reveal who the real racists are.

makattak on February 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM

CPAC makes a great trade: a level-headed conservative Ben Carson for a mercurial sometimes-RINO Chris Christie!!

We need more of this for our team!!!

landlines on February 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM