South Carolina special election: “Sugar, would you give me one more chance?”

posted at 10:01 pm on February 26, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

There’s been no shortage of Republicans vying to take up the mantle for now-Senator Tim Scott’s vacated seat in South Carolina’s first Congressional district; and somehow, the favorite is the state’s erstwhile governor Mark Sanford, who finished out his second term in a blaze of scandal and is now on the hunt for a political comeback. One of his more formidable challengers for the Republican nomination is Teddy Turner, Charleston economics teacher and son of the famous media mogul, who’s been able to pick up some early interest and funding to support his bid.

The primary is on March 19, and the ads are already flying; last week, Team Sanford pushed an ad in which the former congressman-and-governor plaintively testifies that “none of us go through life without mistakes, but in their wake, we can learn a lot about grace, a God of second chances, and be the better for it.”

Ahem. Teddy Turner, it would seem, has no intention of pulling punches. Via Roll Call:

“We’ve come a long way. I know I’ve spent too much, but what’s a few trillion? It was all for you,” a Lothario-looking politician in a candle-lit room says in the spot. “But I’ve changed. I’ll keep my promises this time. It’ll be different. I’m sorry for all the mistakes I’ve made. Sugar, just give me one more chance.” …

The ad is a not-so-oblique knock at Sanford, the frontrunner who released an ad last week in which he said, “I’ve experienced how none of us go through life without mistakes.” …

Turner’s opponents in the March 19 GOP primary include Sanford, state Sen. Larry Grooms, state Rep. Chip Limehouse and former state Sen. John Kuhn. If, as expected, no candidate gets more than 50 percent of the vote, a runoff will be held April 2.

The primary coming down to a runoff between Sanford and pretty much anybody else could be what jeopardizes his chances if it means focusing more attention on his dodgy personal history — which is why they’re going to keep beating the fiscally conservative drum real hard.

Comments

Grits…

Electrongod on February 26, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Go away already. Stay away forever.

Jvette on February 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Just because Sanford has apologized and believes God has forgiven him is fine, but that doesn’t mean he has to be elected to public office. Fool me once…

Kissmygrits on February 26, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Okay, that ad is hilarious and spot-on.

That Sanford is doing as well as he is, given his malfeasance in both his public and personal life, speaks very poorly of the electorate in the district, quite frankly. There is no shortage of conservatives in SC who don’t use public funds to cover up an Argentine tryst.

KingGold on February 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Kissmygrits on February 26, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Sorry..
Nothing personal about my previous post…:)

Electrongod on February 26, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Mark Sanford is another example of how the narcissism of some politicians knows no bounds.

INC on February 26, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Awesome ad.

thebrokenrattle on February 26, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Calling Karl Rove… calling Karl Rove… want to get involved in primaries to torpedo terrible candidates? SC’s 1st congressional district is calling!

Stoic Patriot on February 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Sugar. The Southern code name for the low info voter.

egmont on February 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Hell NO to Sanford, but I don’t think I could trust a Turner ( I know absolutely nothing about him…jus’ sayin ).

SMACKRUNNER on February 26, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Ouch. That might be the best political ad I’ve seen since Dale Peterson.

alchemist19 on February 26, 2013 at 10:23 PM

At least he didn’t call them sugar teats or britches.

RickB on February 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM

INC on February 26, 2013 at 10:11 PM

And that he’s receiving any support is another example of how the gob-smacking stupidity of the American voter knows no bounds.

Midas on February 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Stoic Patriot on February 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Rove probably supports Sanford.

Midas on February 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Teddy Turner, Charleston economics teacher and son of the famous media mogul

…no trust in Teddy Turner!…funny ad though!

KOOLAID2 on February 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I remember a “Bloom County” strip where Bill the Cat became a teleevangelist and got caught in a scandal. Afterwards, he speaks out of the TV and says “God has forgiven me. Why won’t you?” That seems to be what Sanford is saying.

Steven Den Beste on February 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Rove probably supports Sanford.

Midas on February 26, 2013 at 10:25 PM

…remember the show Sanford & Son…Karl is Lamont!

KOOLAID2 on February 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Wonder which candidate the former Mrs. Sanford will endorse?…

Gohawgs on February 26, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Good lord, Sanford has that same “always about to burst into tears” look about him that Speaker Boner does.

Jeddite on February 26, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I love this ad. It can be used ad nauseum–just change the pictures in the background.

SouthernGent on February 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Sanford is a sick, sick man. And creepy. Makes one’s skin crawl.

Rational Thought on February 26, 2013 at 10:59 PM

SouthernGent on February 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Speaking as a local, who is your favorite?

Cindy Munford on February 26, 2013 at 11:26 PM

My mom has been an active participant in the 1st District (R) party since it first went red back in 1980. She is both as conservative and evangelical as anyone on earth.

I watched this ad with her last night and asked her what she thought.

She said that Mark has admitted his mistakes, and if he makes it to the run-off she’ll support him.

I asked what mistakes she thinks ‘Mark’ has cottoned to: his affair with the Argentinian woman? misleading the public and his staff while conducting their affair? or, since he still has his relationship with her, was he calling his original marriage to Jenny a mistake?

She set her jaw, got a gritty glint in her eye, and said something along the lines of ‘Mark Sanford was TEA Party long before anybody else even thought about it.’

South Carolina loves her eccentric, extremist politicians, so long as you are extreme in a good cause.

This race is Sanford’s to lose.

And you know what? I’m not from there anymore, but I agree with Mom. Right now, we don’t need another well-intentioned, start-at-the-bottom, I-got-here-by-checking-the-right-boxes rookie congressmen. We need ballsy conservatives in Washington right now, especially if they have a proven track record of fiscal responsibility.

You know he’s not going to stay in DC very long anyway.

rwenger43 on February 27, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Well said rwenger!!! Well..freakin..said!

MechEng5by5 on February 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Steven Den Beste on February 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM

His race to lose, probably, though. *sigh*

22044 on February 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM

So…how nice and polite of you?? What say you about the constant passes Rangel, Barry, Waters, Jordon, Kwame, Conyers, Hastings, Hilldebeast Clinton, Bubba Clinton, Bobby ( I like em young ) Menedez and Eric ( F&F, my people ) Holder?

I get it…Mark Sanford’s a bad, bad man…and A Republican right? No way he can be forgiven for wanting to keep a private matter, private right? ( General Pertaeus ) who the hell are we / you / anyone to judge anyway? Oh…and he’s white of all terrible mistakes….even worse. Remember Bubba was the original FIRST Black POTUS….K?

Onward Christian soldiers…yea.

Twana on February 27, 2013 at 1:12 AM

What is it about public office that these guys just can’t let it go? Is it really that cool to be in office? Or, are they just so broken that they can’t live life without that particular kick?

Most importantly, how can we pre-screen these people so that they never have the opportunity to hold office?

trigon on February 27, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Mark just has to pray for forgiveness and he’ll still go to heaven. He’ll be ok.

Notorious GOP on February 27, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Twana on February 27, 2013 at 1:12 AM

It wasn’t simply a matter of wanting to keep a private matter private. He was the Chief Executive of the state who could not be found because he’d lied so he could jet off to a tryst with his mistress, on the taxpayer’s dime (he eventually had to repay $9000). He has shown himself to be both reckless and untrustworthy, and it doesn’t matter what other politicians are also reckless and untrustworthy–this election is about him, not them. All such reprobates should be voted out–the idea that we should vote one in because he believes he has squared things with the Lord is absurd.

DrMagnolias on February 27, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Wait – Norm from Cheers is running for office?

PJ Emeritus on February 27, 2013 at 7:53 AM

DrMagnolias on February 27, 2013 at 7:50 AM

**APPLAUSE**

If there’s no one better than him running, then you may as well hang it up, anyway.

trigon on February 27, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Amen. Why not show some humility and go get a real job somewhere?

GWB on February 27, 2013 at 8:47 AM

GWB on February 27, 2013 at 8:47 AM

One of the greatest examples of Newspeak is the term “public service.” These career politicians are equipped for nothing but feeding at the taxpayer-funded trough, and have the nerve to pretend they are the best and brightest who are sacrificing in our behalf, as if we should be grateful to them. Such Titans they are! Then they fight tooth and nail to keep their spots. This is not what the Founding Fathers had in mind.

DrMagnolias on February 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM

trigon on February 27, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I’m starting to believe that reluctant leadership is the only way to go. First red flag, they want to run for office, lol.

Fallon on February 27, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Steven Den Beste on February 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Ack! Pffft!

Steve Eggleston on February 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM

So Ted Tunrer’s son is a conservative Republican?

Wow, there’s some familial rebellion there.

krome on February 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Kissmygrits on February 26, 2013 at 10:09 PM

O Brother, Where Art Thou gets it completely right.

Pete: “The Preacher said it absolved us.”

Everett: “For him, not for the law. I’m surprised at you, Pete, I gave you credit for more brains than Delmar.”

Delmar: “But they was witnesses that seen us redeemed.”

Everett: “That’s not the issue Delmar. Even if that did put you square with the Lord, the State of Mississippi’s a little more hard-nosed.”

Audio here.

Prufrock on February 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM

As a local-right now the chances are good he will win the primary and the general.Just like I thought character mattered with Bill Clinton,I think it matters with Sanford.The difference here might be that Sanford is not one of thos fake conservatives who campaign conservative and vote like a liberal.This is a guy with a great conservative record in Congress and until his Argentinian affair a great conservative record as Governor.Will I vote for him-probably not.Will I be sorry if he gets elected.Nah.

redware on February 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM

So he got caught screwing over someone who trusted him for his own selfish benefit… lets trust him to represent the Congressional District in Congress.

I’m sure he’s incorruptible; I mean he’s shown that he’ll screw over his wife for personal benefit; that means you can trust him to represent your best interests and not his pocketbook.

Wait, are mistresses expensive? If they are he might be amenable to taking some bribe money…

gekkobear on February 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM