Haley, GOP governors blast Obama after sequester meeting

posted at 11:21 am on February 26, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama apparently hoped that a private meeting with GOP governors would help push House Republicans to compromise on the sequester. The meeting backfired in that regard, at least partially.  The private meeting so incensed Nikki Haley that she could barely contain herself afterward at the US Chamber of Commerce afterward, and while she expressed frustration with both sides, she delivered a withering shot at Obama for refusing to make even slight cuts in federal spending:

“I could not be more frustrated than I am right now,” Haley told reporters after the meeting. She said that when she asked Obama if he would consider a last-minute plan to shave about 2 percent from the annual federal budget without increasing taxes, the answer was “no.”

“My kids could go and find $83 billion out of a $4 trillion budget,” Haley said. “This is not rocket science.”

She didn’t spare House Republicans, either, or Senate Democrats for that matter, for taking a week off while this issue sat on the table:

Haley also made no effort to spare congressional Republicans, who took last week off with only a few days left before the sequestration process was set to begin.

“There is no leadership. There is no confidence. There is nothing that shows us that they actually care about what they’re doing,” Haley said. “What they’re doing is playing games, and we as the taxpayers are having to cover for their games. We’re not going to do it anymore.”

Haley also noted that “no one should be going home. No one should be playing golf. No one should be taking vacations.”

Haley wasn’t alone on either score.  While governors have some interest in fixing the sequester, those attending the meeting didn’t appreciate the ham-handed approach Obama took to the meeting even before it started, according to Byron York:

When reporters asked about that new state-by-state analysis of possible cuts — which just happened to be released on the eve of the meeting — the governors saw a White House political trap.

“You all got it in the media before we got those,” said Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker. “So I think it’s pretty clear that those were put out for political purposes … If you were serious about having a discussion with the governors about the implications, you wouldn’t give it to the press before you gave it to the governors.”

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal added that Obama seemed bound and determined to use the sequestration fight to win higher taxes, willing to hold out the prospect of painful cuts to accomplish his goal.

“I think the president is trying to force us into a false choice,” Jindal said. “The reality is, there is no reason for these cuts to be made this way.” Obama could instruct his Cabinet to emphasize cuts to spending on things like consultants, Jindal said, and not on things like Head Start. “It is the president’s job as the chief executive to prioritize.”

South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley said the governors asked Obama to come up with better cuts, or even to delay future spending, like the Medicaid expansion in Obamacare, if the budget situation is as dire as the administration says. “The answer to everything we got was no,” Haley said.

I think Admiral Ackbar gave the best description of this effort from Obama:

Small wonder Obama chased the press out of the room when the governors wanted to start asking questions.

Comments

Heh

Which one will tell what Obama did/said, after he forbade the media’s presence?

Schadenfreude on February 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I heard it described this way very well this morning on KSEV radio in Houston:
Obama is going to make the US government strike against the American people.

These ‘cuts’ would be minimal, but he’s going to inflict as much misery on everyone that he can, and pin it on the Republicans, who will just sit there.

RDH on February 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM

“Get off your azzes”

Obama, the Punk, is out campaigning, the charlatanic thug.

Schadenfreude on February 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Nikki Haley rocks.

22044 on February 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Well, it looks as if it’s time for the MSM to do a “special” on Nikki Haley.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Obama is going to make the US government strike against the American people.

RDH on February 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Fools who fall for the charlatanic Pimp deserve his destruction in full!!!

Schadenfreude on February 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Aarrgghhh!

When will someone, anyone in the GOP tell the American public that the sequester amounts to only about a 10% cut of a 30% increase in federal spending?

How many Americans know that the $800 BILLION so-called stimulus wasn’t just a one time fiscal shot in the arm but has been part of federal spending every year since?

It’s the primary reason Senate Democrats refuse to write a budget.

Federal spending was increased by almost 1/3 thanks to the stimulus and the sequester is a small effort to pare it back.

What the GOP should do, other than talk about this, is open budget negotiations starting with where spending levels would be had we never had a stimulus.

The Leftists can’t be allowed to keep the 1/3 increase.

Charlemagne on February 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Sub rosa

Schadenfreude on February 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Obama is waging a war against this country and its people, everything that we stand for. It is about time that people understood who the enemy is and act accordingly. This is a war,,not paddy cake in the sand box.

retiredeagle on February 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I’d like to see the budgets if every bureaucracy, agency, office, and department down to the paperclip put online for We the People to view it.

I guarantee you that We could find a lot of fat to cut.

Charlemagne on February 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM

That’s aaageist!!!1eleven!

LoganSix on February 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I guarantee you that We could find a lot of fat to cut.

Charlemagne on February 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM

That is precisely why theyDON’T want you to see it!

This is all about CONTROL and maintaining their power. All of them including all the Ds, all the Rs and all Is. They ALL need to be tossed out to the street without any support.

belad on February 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Haley – that’s my Governor!

jake-the-goose on February 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM

A trap indeed. Many traps in fact. Hussein is three, maybe four steps ahead of Republicans in every crisis he creates. He is able, with help of the media minions to appear clean (and articulate!) while everything is the fault of Republicans. First the House….hey, they voted for this sequester it is their fault, even though it was Hussein’s idea. Now the Republican governors are the boogey men and women thanks to Hussein and that drama he created yesterday when he shooed the media out.

Brat on February 26, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Why would governors especially conservative saddle their states with NGA membership dues in this economy?

“The amount of the state’s NGA membership dues were not disclosed by the NGA or Scott’s office. NGA dues range from $22,000 to $176,000, depending on the size of the state.

Instead, Scott chose to be a member of the Republican Governors Association, which relies on corporate donors and in part on donations from hundreds of wealthy conservatives who donate to the group for access to events featuring GOP governors.

Unlike the NGA, strictly a policy-based organization, the RGA’s primary mission is to help elect Republicans to governorships throughout the nation. Democrat governors have a similar political arm.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry, a Republican, has long been a skeptic of the NGA’s value to his state. Texas, which left the organization in 2002, was paying about $135,000 in dues. Idaho Gov. Butch Otter, who dropped his state’s membership in 2010, decided he would rather not spend an estimated $10,000 on travel…”

What a waste of time and money.

workingclass artist on February 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I guarantee you that We could find a lot of fat to cut.

Charlemagne on February 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM

On the QOTD a couple of nights ago, the movie Dave was mentioned where that was going on. If we watched that movie today, we wouldn’t recognize it.

22044 on February 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM

So is if fair to say that the President is the leader of the party of NO.

earlgrey133 on February 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Another governor crying because Uncle MoneyBags is going to cut off the growth of federal dollars coming into their state.

Man up.. errrr.. woman up. My kids could find less $1B in that $37B you get from the feds each year.

ButterflyDragon on February 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM

If bho did do something it would mean he didn’t have to get on AF1 daily trying to do something he has no intentions of doing?

Just wait till bho/dc bunch start the next round coming up soon on debt increase? A crisis a day is what bho/team loves!
L

letget on February 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I guarantee you that We could find a lot of fat to cut.

Charlemagne on February 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM

If folks wanted to see real crowdsourcing in action, that would be the thing to test it on.

ButterflyDragon on February 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Your kids do not want to destroy the country .

DeweyWins on February 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM

retiredeagle on February 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I appreciate the sentiment here, but what about any of this is new. He’s been “waging war” against this country since day One of the first year he was in office, but he was “elected” for another four years.

labwriter on February 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM

If the govt goes out on strike against us can we just replace them? Or maybe just shutter their offices?

Zomcon JEM on February 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM

ButterflyDragon on February 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I just found the South Carolina cuts and from I can see it’s about $140M, which is less than 1% of the $37 billion South Carolina receives from the federal government each year.

Hypocrites.

ButterflyDragon on February 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM

A leader with stones would assemble their cabinet and say very simply: come back to me in one week with your recommendations to cut your budget by 15-20% without impacting on services to taxpayers. Failure to provide your plan means I take over, and you are replaced as the first order of business.

Stones. You got em….or not.

can_con on February 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM

this country deserves everything it’s gonna get…elections have consequences…

RedInMD on February 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM

retiredeagle on February 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I recall back in January of 2009 that HA and other sites were filled with “conservatives” and “Republicans” who lectured people like me that I was being unfair. That I had to wait and give the rat-eared wonder a chance before I was critical of his actions. My desire to say “told you so” to these idiots is only exceeded by my contempt that anybody ever thought that this bastard was going to be good for America.

Happy Nomad on February 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I think that this is part of the Socialist plan … the goal of Socialism.

That the People become so frustrated and so lacking in the ability to be heard, or to even matter …

that they simply GIVE UP.

Socialism is a malaise that sucks the life out of the People. And that malaise serves only to further entrench the power of the Socialists, lording over us – because the People eventually simply quit caring.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Barack Obama apparently hoped that a private meeting with GOP governors …

My 11-yr-old and I recently spent the day with our state representative. We sat in on meetings he held with constituents and lobbyists…and it was our right, since he was conducting the peoples’ business. It was a good experience.

It would be nice to know if our US Congressmen and Senators follow this concept. Of course, the cynic in me tells me the real business is done after hours at some Capitol Hill bar over drinks.

freedomfirst on February 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Your kids do not want to destroy the country .

DeweyWins on February 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM

That is the key right there. Obama the Great Destroyer is attempting (with great success I might add) to implement the Cloward-Pivens Strategy to destroy America’s economy in order to destroy America’s Constitutional Republic so that he and his Marxist fellow travelers can “Fundamentally Transform” America into a Marxist Utopia.

SWalker on February 26, 2013 at 11:59 AM

OhEssYouCowboys on February 26, 2013 at 11:55 AM

One of the most thought-provoking observations about socialism I’ve ever seen in my life:

A good number of moons ago my parents came to visit my wife and I here (in Sweden) for the first time. Sitting in the car watching the world go by whilst waiting for our women to come out of a shop, my old man turns to me and says ‘People don’t smile much here, do they?’.

That pretty much sums up socialism for me.

Nordic on November 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I will NEVER forget this.

MelonCollie on February 26, 2013 at 11:59 AM

So is if fair to say that the President is the leader of the party of NO.

earlgrey133 on February 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Were I advising the GOP leadership, I’d be buying all the air time I could on Friday and put on a continuous loop of the rat-eared wonder, Harry Reid, and all the rest of the Dems making statements about the impossibility that sequestration.

That is, assuming we have power on Friday. According to the fearmongering, the power grid could well be taken out by planes falling out of the sky or something.

Happy Nomad on February 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM

MelonCollie on February 26, 2013 at 11:59 AM

MelonCollie, how kind of you to say that. I’m humbled and honored.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

HALEY IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY:

1) SEQUESTRATION is OBAMA’S PLAN, is UN-NECESSARY, is SELF-INFLICTED, and is just what you would expect from a fiscally irresponsible, economic intelligent-challenged, agenda-driven socialistic/narcissistic political ‘child’

2. Despite already having passed 2 alternatives to Sequestration, none of which Harry Reid will allow to be dicussed on the senate floor, the GOP is actuall TAKING LEAVE – TAKING DAYS OFF – just days prior to this ‘devastating’ Sequestration is extremely irresponsible… (perhaps they should return the money they got paid for those days off?!)

3. The Senate is extremely happy to do NOTHING 9no bills passed & none allowed from the House to reach the floor for discussion…an INTENTIONAL sabotage of any plan to avoid Sequestration – intentionally hurting this nation – a move that should be labeled as ‘treasonous’ / an act of ‘treason’. Elected to do what is best for the US, swore an oath to do so, yet acting in the WORST interest of this nation, purposely damaging it. (Same can be said for Obama, perpetrated for personal/party gain versus for the benefit of this nation & Americans!)

easyt65 on February 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

To Obama, Congress, Senate, Reps, Dems, Repubs…LoInFo Voters!

Content Warning: Bad Language

Scrumpy on February 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

freedomfirst on February 26, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I commend you for doing this. And your State Representative, if this was done after having met with you and agreeing to it.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

In their defense, the House Pubs have passed two bills which offer alternative spending cuts to those anticipated by the sequester. The Senate refuses even to discuss or consider those bills. What is the House supposed to do sit at their desks in Washingto twiddling their thumbs and waiting for a phone call that’s never going to come?

tommyboy on February 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Government tyranny through manufactured crises.

“Society in every state is a blessing, but government, even in its best stage, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one.”
Thomas Paine

MichaelGabriel on February 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Here is Ramirez on the sequester. Good!

L

letget on February 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Obama is going to make the US government strike against the American people.

Standard Operating Procedure from the dems. Hurt especially the low info voters most reliant upon government services and support, then stir up fury and wrath against the GOP for being racist obstructionists.

hawkeye54 on February 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM

MelonCollie, how kind of you to say that. I’m humbled and honored.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

You are very welcome.

When I first read that comment I stared at the screen saying out loud to myself “nobody…smiles…” for I don’t know how long, with a little chill running up and down my back all the while.

MelonCollie on February 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I believe that Obama will be the first president to have never signed a budget bythe time he leaves office.
He will have governed for 8 years under the seige/crisis mentality.

can_con on February 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM

“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
H. L. Mencken

tommyboy on February 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM

One other thing about the two party evil money cult in Washington D.C..

For sure we know the Democrat Party leadership in the Senate and House are not smart enough to come up with the things they end up doing.

Obama for sure is evil and lust for U.S.’s destruction and his commie dream world that can not be instated.

Yet, there they are with this shit in the fan, how.

The staff who are the hired killers of our constitution.

Not unlike the scribes of old, or the people who ran china the mandrians.

These tit suckers get first dibs on the pig trough of our tax money and the dumb as elected ones hire the most lothsome aviable to make themselfs look good on the “ear marks” and pork to get re-elected.

As we cull the commie/rino heard we have to get info on who these
“clerks of tax sin” are and get them unemployed.

Republicans as we all know are not free from the tax and spend sin or the use of these hire freedom killers.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 26, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Rand Paul and Marco Rubio voting no on Moving Hagel Nomination — OT

CoffeeLover on February 26, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Rand Paul and Marco Rubio voting no on Moving Hagel Nomination — OT

CoffeeLover on February 26, 2013 at 12:15 PM

If you can swing it, Rand Paul would make an amazing First President of the Conservative States of America. I am dead serious.

MelonCollie on February 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM

It’s the primary reason Senate Democrats refuse to write a budget.

The Leftists can’t be allowed to keep the 1/3 increase.

Charlemagne on February 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Indeed!

The Democrats who took majority control on January 3, 2007 (inlcuding House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senators Reid, Obama, Biden, Clinton, etc.) “inherited” a good economy and a relatively small deficit (less than $161 Billion).

Those Democrats promised, both in writing and in very public speeches, promised: “No new deficit spending”.

Then those Democrats tripled deficit spending in their first budget (FY 2008), tripled deficit spending AGAIN in their second budget (FY 2009), and then refused to pass another budget and used “continuing resolutions” to keep funding levels around where they were in FY 2009.

Think of all of the spending that went into FY 2009, much of it passed by the Pelosi House, Reid Senate, and (voted for / asked for / or signed by) Obama:

TARP (voted for by Obama, and Obama asked Bush to request the second half of the money… Obama got to spend the money, but Bush is often given the blame)

Stimulus

Cash-for-Clunkers

Etc.

ALL of that spending has been blamed on Bush, and the Dems now want to claim FY 2009 as their baseline.

A much better baseline is FY 2007, the last budget passed by a Republican House, Republican Senate, and Republican President:

FY 2007
Receipts: $2.568 Trillion
Outlays: $2,729 Trillion
Deficit: Less than $161 Billion

Revenues for FY 2013 are projected to be over $2.7 Trillion…

If we capped FY 2013 Spending Outlays to FY 2007 dollar amounts, we would be very, very close to a balanced budget!

ITguy on February 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM

“The answer to everything we got was no,” Haley said.

Comrade O does not negotiate. He demonizes and dictates. He preaches, points fingers and campaigns.

He behaves like Hugo Chavez and Castro.

farsighted on February 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM

LOL….I am liking Rand Paul more and more even though I was disappointed he approved Kerry.

CoffeeLover on February 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM

ButterflyDragon on February 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM

The vast majority of that money are Social Security and Medicare payments to the states. Items that the Governors of the states have no control over.

Dasher on February 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Mark Kirk and Ron Johnsen votes No….I think I heard Tim Scott voted no

CoffeeLover on February 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on February 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

On odd numbered years, our legislature meets for 45 days (60 days on even years). My state rep started a “program” for youngsters too young to apply to be pages. He calls it the “Future Delegate Program”. It allows them (one per day) to shadow him for an entire day. My son (with me in tow) got to shadow him from 9am until we were too tired to keep going. Aside from his office meetings, we were able to observe him do a cable interview, sit in on a subcommittee and two full committee meetings.

More pols should do stuff like this. Some semblance of daylight and all.

freedomfirst on February 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Heller votes No
Lee votes No

CoffeeLover on February 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM

“It is the president’s job as the chief executive to prioritize.”

Really? But that would require “work”. And we all know how Barry feels about “work”.

GarandFan on February 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Toomey No
Lindsey No
Barrasso No

CoffeeLover on February 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM

He behaves like Hugo Chavez and Castro.

He should….they are his role models.

hawkeye54 on February 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM

CoffeeLover on February 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I can forgive him for having to vote between Dumb, dumber, and dumbest, he didn’t make the candidates.

MelonCollie on February 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Here is Ramirez on the sequester. Good!

L

letget on February 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Thank you for sharing that… it’s excellent!

I am VERY glad to see Ramirez (and anyone else) start using FY 2007 as the baseline. The balance of power shifted from Republican to Democrat on January 3, 2007… NOT January 20, 2009.

ITguy on February 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Right Off the Top of My Head:

o Movie ‘ARGO’ received over $4 Million in ‘subsidies’ – tax-payer dollars….
o Movie ‘Jango Unchained’ received over $8 Million in ‘subsidies’ – tax-payer dollars….
– Obama decries ‘subsidies’ for ‘evil oil companies’ yet spends millions in subsidies on his Hollywood @$$-ki$$ing cronies/supporters

o Freeze automatic Discretionary spending Increase
– It goes up automatically without Congress havig to do anything – like their pay!
o Freeze Congress/Pres/VP Salary at the current level – NO INCREASE
– Especially due to what we have seen – no work, no compromise, obstuctionist behavior, no sense of urgency to aid those who will be negatively impacted, taking vacations days before it hits….they ought to take a d@mn pay CUT

o NO / LIMIT VACATIONS:
– Obama just went on his 2nd MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR Vacation & we aren’t even at the end of the 2nd month in the year. Simultaneously, Michelle tok her own seperate MULTI0MILLION DOLLAR vacation.
– If congress takes a qweek off, especially before something like Sequestration hits, they should not only get paid but FINED for doing so…

o The US government just spent $500,000 on a study of GOLD FISH

o $16.6 TRILLION in debt & the U.S. is about to GIVE the terrorist group running Egypt – the Mulism Brotherhood – 16 brand new F-16 fighters & 200 brand new tanks — we had to BORROW MONEY FROM CHINA to build/pay for all of those then are turning around & GIVING them to TERRORISTS whose only possible targets for those weapons is our ‘ALLY’ Israel! WT*?!
– An F-16 cost approx $35.74 MILLION PER Airplane – 16 F-16s cost approx: $571.84 MILLION.
– An Abrams 1 Tank costs approx $6.2 MILLION – 200 costs approx: $1 BILLION, 240 MILLION.
THAT MEANS WE ARE ABOUT TO GIVE – GIVE – THE TERRORIST GROUP THE MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD ALMOST $2 BILLION IN WEAPONS WE COULDN’T EVEN AFFORD FOR OURSELVES…WHILE SIMUTANEOUSLY ‘DEVASTATING’ OUR OWN MILITARY THROUGH OBAMA’S SEQUESTRATION! WHAT THE H#LL?!

easyt65 on February 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM

On January 3, 2007, Democrats “inherited”:

1) A FY 2007 deficit of less than $161 Billion.

2) Total National Debt under $8.7 Trillion.

3) Unemployment 4.4%

… to be continued …

ITguy on February 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Related video: It’s a TAX!

Mervis Winter on February 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM

… continued …

What did Speaker Pelosi, Senators Reid, Obama, Biden, Clinton, and other Democrats inherit from the Republicans on January 3, 2007?

4) “Discouraged Workers” (not counted in the unemployment number): 274,000.

5) Employment-population ratio (% employment for civilian noninstitutional population age 16 years and over): 63.4%

6) Zillow U.S. Home Value Index: over $190,000.

Now, every single one of those six measures is significantly worse than what the Democrats inherited in January 2007.

I think that incomes are down, too, but I don’t have a link for that statistic.

ITguy on February 26, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Dasher on February 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM

No, it isn’t. With SS and Medicare federal funds going to South Carolina is $77B

ButterflyDragon on February 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Here is Ramirez on the sequester. Good!

letget on February 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM

There is only one problem though the cartoon is excellent.

We do not have a 2013 “budget.” We have not had one of those things in years. What we have is the 2013 continuing resolution that authorizes a certain amount of spending. A budget requires normal order proceedings followed by a conference committee. None of that has even been attempted in the Senate the past three years.

Happy Nomad on February 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Excuse ME, but any Governor with a scintilla of integrity, would have stood up, and stated in no uncertain terms before walking out:

“Excuse me, Mr. Obama, but I didn’t come all this way to listen to the same talking points I can hear on MSNBC. Get back to me if and when you are serious. Until then I have to actually GOVERN! I don’t do photo-ops.”

~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM

o 13 Obama-handpicked Green energy companies subsidized by tax-payer dollars, heavily invested in by Obama donors, went bankrupt — Obama used hundreds of millions of tax dollars to ensure his donors did not lose any of THEIR money in the ‘gamble’.

o $325,000 for an effort to build a lifelike Robo-Squirrel

o $27 million for a project that included pottery classes for Moroccan artists translated by someone who was not fluent in English – and using materials that cannot be purchased in Morocco

o $505,000 in block grants for a pet shampoo and toothpaste company.

o $520,000 for an Ohio bridge that doesn’t connect to a road or trail.

o $40,000 for a video game based on Thoreau’s writings at Walden Pond.

o More than $540,000 for a dancing robot that DJs smartphones.

o Nearly $68,000 for a “Students Against Trash” poster campaign.

o $97,000 for a floating outhouse on an Oregon lake.

o $6.9 million for research into making rubber-free tires from natural materials.

o $35,000 for a book vending machine.

easyt65 on February 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Here is Ramirez on the sequester. Good!

L

letget on February 26, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Well, the DemoLibProgressives won’t understand that cartoon, because they don’t believe that money pies can get bigger.

LoganSix on February 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM

And there are a TON MORE to choose from! Does this look like the spending of a SANE government that understands that we are not only BROKE but that we are over $16.5 TRILLION IN DEBT?!

easyt65 on February 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM

There is only one problem though the cartoon is excellent.

Happy Nomad on February 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Good point. In fact, I think the Senate hasn’t attempted a budget in FOUR years, since the FY 2009 budget was passed by the Pelosi House, Reid Senate, and signed by pResident Obama on March 11, 2009, when the Democrats increased spending by 10 percent or more for some of the programs over 2008 levels:

Published: March 11, 2009 at 4:52 PM

WASHINGTON, March 11 (UPI) — The $410 billion budget — criticized for its scope in spending and earmarks — was signed Wednesday by President Barack Obama.

The budget document — which keeps federal operations running through the end of the fiscal year Sept. 30 — includes more than 8,500 earmarks, or funding for specific projects sought by congressional members, costing roughly $7.7 billion. The measure also boosts operating budgets by 10 percent or more for some of the programs over 2008 levels. Both the earmarks and the amount of money included in the operations budget drew howls of protest from both sides of the aisle.

The measure, delayed by term-ending politics between the Bush White House and Congress, funds nine departments for activities that are not related to defense or homeland security agencies, whose budgets were funded last fall.

So, Democrats significantly increased spending for almost everything not related to defense or homeland security in FY 2009.

Congressional Democrats never attempted a budget for FY 2010, FY 2011, FY 2012, or now FY 2013. They just want to keep spending at their elevated FY 2009 levels.

And now they want the sequester to cut defense spending disproportionately more than cuts to other spending.

ITguy on February 26, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Nikki Haley rocks.

22044 on February 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

As usual, the Republicans with the biggest b@lls are the ones born without them.

Nikki Haley is pretty enough for the Hot Air Harpies to hate her.

bw222 on February 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Hypocrites.

ButterflyDragon on February 26, 2013 at 11:48 AM

ButterflyDragon on February 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM

So, which one is it? Two conflicting statements.

Barred on February 26, 2013 at 1:05 PM

SEQUESTRATION is NOT $83 BILLION in CUTS TO OUR EXISTING BUDGET – IT IS $83 BILLION IN EXISTING CUTS TO THE COMING AUTOMATIC INCREASE IN SPENDING / DISCRETIONARY SPENDING.

it’s like a housewie saying, “Since I am overbudget by $14.7 TRILLION I will ONLY INCREASE my SPENDING by a smaller amount than what I was going to do.

Our government is PLANNING ON CONTINUING the destructive plan of engaging in MORE deficit-spending — and they are telling us that ‘Armageddon’ will occur if we don’t INCREASE OUR DEBT!

MEANWHILE HOMELAND SECURITY CURRENTLY IS HOLDING TAX-PAYER-FUNDED ‘ZOMBIE APOCOLYPSE’ TRAINING! NO LIE — people dressed up as zombies stumble towrds Homeland security personnel who fire at them & train how to fight them. GOOD GRIEF!

(One talking head suggested this is training on how to quell the coming uprising of Americans when the economy collapses, stating those Americans totally reliant on government handouts are nothing but ‘zombies’ who are ignoring reality today but who will rise up when the economy collapses/hand-outs stop. Conspiracy Theory? He says it explains why Homeland Security is buying up so much ammunition right now…)

easyt65 on February 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM

tommyboy

Maybe they should have thought about that before passing the sequester in the first place(174 republicans voted for it), and then patting themselves on the back for it.

xblade on February 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM

How long before Chris Matthews and the talking heads at MSDNC call Haley a whore and start attacking her family?

Polish Rifle on February 26, 2013 at 1:21 PM

ButterflyDragon on February 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Are you sure of those figures? That sounds like a lot, for the population of the state. South Carolina has 5 Congressional districts, out of 435 in the entire House, or 1/87th of the Congressional districts. If each state received SS and Medicare federal funds in proportion to the number of Congressional districts (roughly proportional to population) the total SS and Medicare spending would be $77B x 435 / 5 = $6.7 Trillion, which is nearly double the current Federal budget.

Steve Z on February 26, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Shame on anyone who expected more from a Chicago Community Agitator.

OxyCon on February 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Nikki Romney-Haley works to undo some of her political damage by attacking a man no one on the right has any love for. Zero risk, all benefit, what is not to like.

astonerii on February 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM

xblade on February 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Obama was the one who conceived the sequestration plan then orchestrated an intense media campaign hamming the Pubs for refusing to “compromise” and wanting to “shut down the government” all until they agreed to pass this plan. Barky owns it.

tommyboy on February 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM

tommyboy on February 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM

While the smart move would have been to pass $150,000,000,000 extensions to the deficit every couple months and in the interim telling Americans how much this is going to cost them and their children every time. Then finish it with asking, how much slavery of these children will be enough? Press your congressman to end the deficit spending, press your congressman to support cut, cap and balance.

astonerii on February 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM

One more time: there are no cuts. The federal government will spend more this year than last year after the sequester takes effect.

InterestedObserver on February 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Why do Republicans slam other Republicans in Washington? Does Haley expect Boehner and McConnell to “compromise?” OK, that means more tax increases.

InterestedObserver on February 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I can’t square her two complaints. If “her kids” could find the money to cut that sequestration calls for — and I have no doubt that even a trained chimp could — then why is she pissed at GOP Republicans for laughing at Obama and walking away? Big deal, right? Why encourage the Douche King by wringing our hands over nothing?

These Republican whiners certainly like to play both sides of every crisis.

Jaibones on February 26, 2013 at 4:01 PM

it is a challenge for many to clearly imagine billions and trillions of dollars. So lets throw a few zeros away. Can we cut $8.30 out of $4000.

scruplesrx on February 26, 2013 at 7:47 PM