CPAC source: Christie wasn’t invited this year because he has a “limited future” in the GOP; Update: Sandy relief and Medicaid?

posted at 8:41 pm on February 26, 2013 by Allahpundit

Hard to argue with that assessment today of all days, but … Mitt Romney’s also been invited this year. The future doesn’t get any more limited than that.

Also, since when is one’s prospects in the GOP a litmus test for whether you’re CPAC-worthy or not? Every time someone objects to GOProud’s exclusion, the rejoinder inevitably comes that it’s the “Conservative Political Action Conference,” not the “Republican Political Action Conference.” Okay, in that case, who cares about Christie’s future in the GOP? Either his ideas are conservative enough or they aren’t.

Verdict: They aren’t. Or rather, one isn’t.

New Jersey governor Chris Christie was not invited to address the Conservative Political Action Conference because he has a “limited future” in the national Republican party given his position on gun control, according to a source familiar with the internal deliberations related to the event who was not authorized to speak publicly. As a result, the focus of this year’s conference, “the future of conservatism,” made Christie a bad fit, the source tells National Review Online.

The New Jersey governor, who has expressed concern about “an abundance of guns out there,” has said he backs the gun-control legislation currently on the books in his state, some of the nation’s most restrictive. Carrying a concealed weapon, for example, is permitted only when a citizen can demonstrate “the urgent necessity for self-protection.” Christie has not been afraid to speak out against the National Rifle Association, either, calling an ad the group ran in the wake of the Newtown shooting “reprehensible” and “awful.”

Gun-control is an instant dealbreaker for appearing at CPAC, but developing the universal health care framework on which ObamaCare was based and then refusing to apologize for it isn’t? I’m not a fan of O-Care or of new gun regulations, but I know which one I’m more worried about long-term. Also, how many of this year’s speakers are okay with, if not outright sponsoring, the disastrous plan floating around Congress to grant illegals instant probationary legal status as part of a comprehensive immigration reform deal? There’s Rubio, of course, and probably Paul Ryan, maybe Rand Paul. If you want to exclude Christie, you have lots of reasons; it’s strange to settle on just one when virtually everyone has a heresy or two to his/her record. (Ryan famously voted for TARP too, of course.) Besides, if you really want to hurt him, why not invite him and let him get booed? Being rejected by rank-and-file conservatives would be more damaging to his brand than being rejected by the organizers of the conference. He can demagogue the latter as part of a close-minded ideological power structure that “fears” him or whatever. It’s harder to do that with the average joe, especially when Christie’s big asset is supposed to be his ability to win over audiences.

Speaking of CPAC absences, via the Corner, here’s S.E. Cupp announcing that she won’t speak there this year because GOProud and the Log Cabin Republicans are being sidelined. They were sidelined last year too and she spoke then. Did it take lefty Chris Hayes to blaze the trail for MSNBC hosts on this? Exit question: Who wants to tell the RGA that their next chairman has a limited future in the GOP?

Update: This is a more robust critique of Christie than the gun-control reasoning. But, er…

“CPAC is like the all-star game for professional athletes; you get invited when you have had an outstanding year,” Cardenas said. “Hopefully he will have another all-star year in the future, at which time we will be happy to extend an invitation. This is a conservative conference, not a Republican Party event.”

Cardenas cited Christie’s decision to expand Medicaid under President Obama’s health care law and his support of a $60 billion aid package for Hurricane Sandy victims, which he argued was filled with wasteful spending.

Okay, but the decision not to invite him leaked last night, before he announced his plans on Medicaid. And Medicaid expansion, in and of itself, is evidently no bar to speaking: As far as I know, Susana Martinez is still invited even though she ended up expanding Medicaid for New Mexico in early January. As for Sandy relief, it’s true — Christie’s cheap, demagogic triangulation with the House GOP over that is probably his lowest moment as a so-called fiscal conservative. (Or was, until today.) But by making Sandy aid the big peg for excluding him, you’re doing him an incredible political favor. Sandy relief is the biggest reason why his approval rating in Jersey is upwards of 75 percent; it’s likely also the biggest reason he polls well nationally even with Democrats at the moment. His whole post-Sandy nonpartisan brand is built on the idea that he’s less ideological and just more goshdarned caring than those heartless conservatives in the GOP congressional caucus. And now here’s CPAC proclaiming that, indeed, his Sandy relief support is cause for (temporary) banishment from conservatism. He’ll be crowing about it for weeks. It’s practically an in-kind contribution to his gubernatorial campaign.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Please I’ve had more than my fill of fat jokes.

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I’ve been stuffed to the gills with fat jokes. No more please.

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM

These incessant fat jokes are becoming hard to digest. I wish you people would chew on some thing else.

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM

============================

The Photo-Op,and Obama is a good guy,me thinks,sealed Christies fate!

canopfor on February 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Hmmm, ya think? after the public blow-job he gave Obama and the stabbing in the back of Romney. That comes as a surprise to, umm, exactly whom? (Well besides John Boenher and Ann Coulter)

SWalker on February 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Is he conservative?

Not really..

Electrongod on February 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM

CPAC should stick to what it is about and not care about the Republican party. It should be promoting conservative values and virtues.
Christie out, My Views are Progressive Romney in.

After the 2010 fiasco with GOProud and the enabling of the repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, CPAC has some credibility issues it needs to resolve, and Romney is not the way to go about it.

astonerii on February 26, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Maybe they can get Seth McFocus…or is that fairlaine?
And have him host CSAC..

He did such a swell job at the McOscars..

Electrongod on February 26, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I think the “98% agreeing with Cuomo” might have a little to do with that as well.

VegasRick on February 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

canopfor on February 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Exactly. Ever since then I’ve had a bone to pick with Christie. The man has too much starch in his pants for my taste.

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Christie and CPAC both suck.

Mark1971 on February 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Christie isn’t the one I want to hear from. That honor goes to Rand. He has some ‘splaining to do.

nobar on February 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Wacky prediction? Christie changes parties and runs as a Democrat for President in 2016.

Waggoner on February 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

S.E. Cupp is rapidly becoming the female version of Joe Scarborough, making big bucks as a “plantation conservative.”

bw222 on February 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM

If CPAC would lighten up a bit a steady diet of Christie would be easier for them to swallow.

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 8:52 PM

“I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart.”

2ndMAW68 on February 26, 2013 at 8:53 PM

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 8:52 PM

On a scale of 1 to 10 your puns weigh about a ton.

VegasRick on February 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Christie is like a donut. Empty in the core. But if you turn it just right…

nobar on February 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Waggoner on February 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

That would be a whale of a story.

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM

My husband is less than 2 inches taller than I am…and outweighs me by around 160 LBS.
Don’t knock it-’til you’ve tried it.
*Can’t stand Christie.*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

That would be a whale of a story.

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Heavy man!

VegasRick on February 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Bruuuuuuuuuce!

bw222 on February 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM

She sings for her supper.

Politics for S.E. and Joe is more about a paycheck than the direction of the country or what kind of future our children and grandchildren are going to have. It’s absolute self-centered narcissism and it’s disgusting.

Punchenko on February 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Keep digging, CPAC.

Until the only sponsors left are Birchers, Paulnuts, and thinly-veiled Citizens Council groups that go by names like “Alliance to Reclaim Founding Values” and such like that, there’s always room to go down.

I remember only four years ago, when Joe Scarborough spoke, gave a solid defense of his time in Congress, and expressed his desire to see many more conservative media outlets try to change the national mood. And now, because of gun control, perhaps the most popular Republican governor is somehow going to tarnish the convention?

The conservative movement is going to implode if this keeps up. If this is the kind of “leadership” we’re going to see from these people, I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

KingGold on February 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

No sense blubbering over Christie. What’s done is done. He just had a lot on his plate and made a few mistakes.

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I have no love for Chris Christie but ostracizing him risks the GOP truly becoming a regional party. Other than perhaps Pat Toomey, can anybody name a true conservative Northeast Republican in elected office? Certainly not Christie, Pete King, fmr Senator Scott Brown, frm Govs Whitman, Ridge, Pataki…

I’m all for throwing the RINOs out, but if Republicans in the NE start switching parties, you’re talking about serious long-term consequences. Yes, none of these states vote our way come Presidential election time. But they hold Republican house and occasional Republican senate seats. It’s easy to throw the RINO label around, but conservatives need to be pragmatic in forming a realistic national agenda that spreads the brand to every state.

Hostile Gospel on February 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I agree that Christie has a limited future in the GOP, but he should have been invited. The folks in attendance can either cheer him or boo him. Give them that chance.

joejm65 on February 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I can’t stand SE Cupp. Good riddance.

Blake on February 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Hmmm, color me shock that a vapid narcissist atheist from Carlsbad California (not known by any even remote stretch of the imagination as a hot bed of conservative thought or values) has begun the long march out of the closet to reveal that… Lo and Behold, her every word spoken or in print for the last 10 years have (ala Charles “Icarus” Johnson, why I parted ways with the right) been bought and paid for, no this isn’t what I really think or feel, but what I am getting paid to pretend I think.

I am so sick and tired of these fake intellectual conservatives whose conservative opinions just keep evolving into progressive Marxist opinions and ideologies.

SWalker on February 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Waggoner on February 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Not wacky at all, I was going to post the same thing.

JPeterman on February 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

KingGold on February 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

He’s popular with the democrats.
Rick Perry Nikki Haley, or even Paul LePage he ain’t.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

1. Other guests didn’t want him there. Rubio and Ryan, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Romney asked who the fellow speakers were.

2. Christie’s current momentum is based on bashing conservatives, so a Sistah Soulja incident is more than possible.

3. Don’t give him the choice, so he can’t leak that he “disinvited” himself.

4. An agreement was reached where he would pass but they would make it sound like he was slighted to help with his indie cred.

Anything else sounds like bs to me.

———————————————————————–

As for Cupp, I do love the irony that Beck has been complaining about rightie progs for years, and she’s in motion to become coronated the Queen.

The fact Beck says nothing about her speaks volumes about him.

budfox on February 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM

As I asked last night: How would a Christie presidency differ from a Shrillery presidency — other than the snacks at the White House (donuts, chips, other tasty delectables vs.…well, booze).

Rational Thought on February 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Waggoner on February 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Christie changes parties and runs waddles as a Democrat for President in 2016.

Pork-Chop on February 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Christie has learned his lesson. Don’t bite off more than you can chew and some day you could be commander in chef.

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM

S.E Cupp withdrawls over same sex marriage….

LOL, WHO CARES?! She’s as phony as Crispy Cream Christie.

jawkneemusic on February 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Christie needs to join Abraham Huntsman, David Brooks, and Allahpundit in the No Labels Squish Conference.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM

At this point in time, I don’t care who goes, who doesn’t, who’s on a shite list, who isn’t on a shite list, who’s a fracking RINO or who isn’t, who really gives a flying F anyway?

No One Is Listening To Us!

They all piss me off all the time!

Americae extremis est a summo descendit

Scrumpy on February 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

ala Charles “Icarus” Johnson

SWalker on February 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I knew I recognized you from LGF, many years ago pal.

VegasRick on February 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Rational Thought on February 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Christie could run to the LEFT of her.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Like a good conservative you have to know when to trim the fat and when to pass on pork.

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Rick Perry Nikki Haley, or even Paul LePage he ain’t.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Quite true. He’s not in mortal danger in the next election like LePage is, and he’s more popular than Perry and Haley.

I must have taken stupid pills this morning, because I could have sworn that the idea of contesting elections is to win them. You know who runs candidates to make a point and stand on principle, even if it means losing? Third parties, that’s who. Greens, Libertarians, Constitution Party.

KingGold on February 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM

No One Is Listening To Us!

They all piss me off all the time!

Americae extremis est a summo descendit

Scrumpy on February 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Now now Scrumpdoodles, no time to go being all Lady Like, just tell what you really think about all of this…

SWalker on February 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I never liked the guy, amazing how many people here at HA were giving him daily fellatios because he was acting like a blowhard on TV and with reporters, etc.

Cheap date conservatism eh? Talk tough and win our hearts. Sad.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Rational Thought on February 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM

He would be lightyears better, just for the fact he would be inclined to break the SCM and Teachers Unions.

I’m haven’t been a Christie guy since the convention, but as President he would be as close to Giuliani as we would see.

If my choice is Enrico Caruso or expansion of the prison planet, I’ll go with the loudmouth.

budfox on February 26, 2013 at 9:07 PM

ala Charles “Icarus” Johnson

SWalker on February 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I knew I recognized you from LGF, many years ago pal.

VegasRick on February 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

It has indeed been many years now. I got the boot in the second round of stealth banning before anyone knew he had lost his mind.

SWalker on February 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM

ACK – the Gophers are going to kill me 27.3 seconds left

Oh and Christie made his bed. I wouldn’t have invited him either.

gophergirl on February 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM

[joejm65 on February 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM]

I disagree. Christie would know that it was coming and he’d use it as a trap to make himself look good. It’s not worth giving him the opportunity.

Dusty on February 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Too many atheists I figure. If you do not believe in God, your soul still has a need to believe in something bigger than yourself. Hence the idolization of people like Christie, Romney, Ryan and others.

astonerii on February 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I don’t think they should exclude GOProud, but it’s hilarious that S.E. Cupp suddenly has an issue with it once she starts getting a paycheck from MSNBC. At this rate she’ll be speaking at the ’16 Dem convention in their usual parade of disillusioned GOPers.

But, I have to admit I don’t care about CPAC, and don’t know what all the fuss is about. It seems there’s more talk about who is or isn’t going than what will be said, which seems counterproductive.

changer1701 on February 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

KingGold on February 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Typical RINO. You don’t care that he said he AGREES 98% with a liberal democrat, supports medicaid expansion, gun control, and all the other acts of betrayal. As long as he is popular and can WIN right?

Forget ideology, Just win baby!!!

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

SWalker on February 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I heard about that guy. He went nuts right? Like Andrew Sullivan?

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I suspect it’s more likely that Christie didn’t want to come so he didn’t have the “conservative” label wrapped around his neck when the election rolls around in November.

dforston on February 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM

SWalker on February 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Sorry, it wasn’t enough eh? ;-)

(Assuming a more Ladylike posture)

Scrumpy on February 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I have no love for Chris Christie but ostracizing him risks the GOP truly becoming a regional party. //

I’m all for throwing the RINOs out, but if Republicans in the NE start switching parties, you’re talking about serious long-term consequences. //old Republican house and occasional Republican senate seats. It’s easy to throw the RINO label around, but conservatives need to be pragmatic in forming a realistic national agenda that spreads the brand to every state.

Hostile Gospel on February 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Quite a bit of gobbledy-gook there….So you want RINO’s both out and IN, which one? A National Agenda, what of both opposing and supporting ObamaCare, of both opposing and supporting Gun Control?

The best that can be said of Christie was that he balanced the New Jersey STATE Budget, now he drove up local taxes and he’s willing to take all sorts of tax money from ME and Obama, but that hardly makes him a fiscal con, much less an overall Con.

So what do we get as Conservatives from backing a guy who isn’t even all that FISCALLY Conservative, and how does that make for a National Agenda?

JFKY on February 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Hostile Gospel on February 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM

True. They will all end up like Connecticut.

This kind of reminds me of a certain Presidential candidate/ Party that failed to invite a certain former candidate to their every 4 year party. Worked great, right?

CTSherman on February 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM

SWalker on February 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I heard about that guy. He went nuts right? Like Andrew Sullivan?

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Like Keith Olbermann and Andrew Sullivan discussing GW’s DD 214 with Art Bell…

SWalker on February 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM

AP, thats a little unfair. You’re conflating 2 different issues. Like I mentioned earlier, no top republican leader has come out against CIR. Yeah, not ONE. And Christie should have been invited. Hes good, for a place like New Jersey. Thats just the lay of the land.

tommy71 on February 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Time for RINOs and Christie/McVain/Romney and other “electablity lovers” like FoolsGold to hop on the electability bus with Huntsman, Christie and Charlie Crist.

These RINOs don’t care about principles, and act just like the LEFT, where principles mean nothing, and winning means everything.

Hey you Romneybots/Christie-parasites why don’t we just run Hillary or Bloomberg on the GOP banner eh? Come on she is “electable”

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Forget ideology, Just win baby!!!

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

It seems to me that unless conservatives can field candidates that can win outside of blood-red states, all you wind up doing is hurling insults from the peanut gallery while the winning Democrats spend all your children’s money.

This is politics, you don’t get everything you want, and sometimes you have to ally yourself with people you don’t like in order to win a greater victory.

But folks like you probably don’t even know what the expression “playing the long game” means, much less how to do so.

KingGold on February 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Christie’s tongue-bathing of the Indonesian Dog-Eater was more than enough and surely signaled that Christie was going to let his inner demoncrat out as soon as he could.

Christie should be the key speaker at the Leftist Turd Convention. He can walk hand-in-hand with Barky, the 84 IQ America-Hater, to the podium and unleash his leftist drivel.

Christie is slime. He’s just a typical democrat.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM

What’s the diff. btw. the Fluke woman and S.E.Cupp?

Schadenfreude on February 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM

KingGold on February 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Who was the last conservative we have ran?

astonerii on February 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM

The more I read about this CPAC the more I like it.

OldEnglish on February 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM

KingGold on February 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Christie is popular with Democrats. He played a major role in Obama’s reelection, but that’s not a problem for you, is it?

bw222 on February 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Christie was always a RINO. Not shocked he’s doing everything he can to be popular in NJ. A politician, not a Conservative.

Looks like GB’s Chris Christie “porn” is all a sad memory. Punk’d.

Philly on February 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM

And I could have sworn that the point of winning elections was to accomplish some GOOD, to do something other than restrict gun rights or allow unrestricted access to teh US and it’s welfare state, to stop spending ourselves into Greece, allof which require making and selling some tough choices.

I see in your universe it’s about winning re-election, well thank you Arnold Schwarzenegger…and I bet inside 4 years NJ’s budget has to be “fixed” by higher taxes and anything Christie has done, will be undone, quite possibly by Christie himself, because the relentless tide of government will overwhelm the little dykes he has constructed…

And I bet you’ll be OK with that, just the inevitable march of politics….

JFKY on February 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Christie/Crist 2016

Schadenfreude on February 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I heard about that guy. He went nuts right? Like Andrew Sullivan?

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Charles Johnson was a far left zealot before 9/11 than he claimed that 9/11 made him conservative, but than he just lost his mind completely one day, and now is foaming at the mouth hate filled douche.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM

KingGold on February 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Do you trust Christie not to stab us in the back? I don’t – not with his track record.

You can’t people for being more than gunshy about him.

gophergirl on February 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM

KingGold on February 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I wouldn’t ally with Christie if he was last democrat on Earth. He is ultimate scum. What he did at the end of the election was beyond unforgivable, and that is aside from all of his leftist BS. He is scum.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I’m willing to declare both instant dealbreakers.

If you want to add that as another litmus test, I’m all for it. CPAC might start to look genuinely conservative.

…And that’s where the lie comes in. CPAC isn’t attended by the rank-and-file. It’s attended by those who don’t mind blowing a few hundred bucks to hang out at formal events.

See above comment about blowing a couple hundred bucks. That’s not an average Joe.

Stoic Patriot on February 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM

i think it is a mistake for anyone to say that he has a limited role in the R party (Senator?)…but, honestly there was never any way that he would be prezy. He really doesn’t look very healthy

but, more importantly….Bloomy the Soda Jerk has commanded a meeting tomorrow with McCain, Reid, and VP flappadoodle about the most Evil Thing in our country today….GUNS

no doubt bloomy wants some action, so hoop to boys

r keller on February 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM

KingGold on February 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM

He supports gun control and snuggles up to radical muslims. He’s NOT a conservative.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM

3 seconds – 3 measly little seconds.

AHHHHHHHHHH!

gophergirl on February 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM

How was the Romney Inaugural?

JFKY on February 26, 2013 at 9:19 PM

gophergirl on February 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Congratulations!!!

d1carter on February 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM

SparkPlug on February 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM

…but… that’s all he has in his lunchbox!

KOOLAID2 on February 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM

YAHOO!!!!!!!!!

Okay I promise I’m done now.

gophergirl on February 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM

KingGold on February 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Heck if he agrees 98% with Cuomo what difference does it make if he or a Democrat is governor of deep blue New Jersey? It’s not like NJ will go red at the Federal level any time soon. or EVER again. Give me a break NJ loves them the crooks, Menendez, and crew. Christie at the national level is a non starter. So why should he speak at CPAC?

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM

changer1701 on February 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

S.E. Cupp has a lot of new attitudes since she joined MSNBC.

bw222 on February 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM

… here’s S.E. Cupp announcing that she won’t speak (at CPAC) …

Well, Cupp is not a conservative, AND she works for obama, via MSNBC – so, it really is no surprise that she would feel out of place at a conservative event.

I wish that CPAC would be a little more choosy with their invitations, after all, CPAC is supposed to be for conservatives.

Pork-Chop on February 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Like Steve Huntsman, she won’t be missed.

Really? It’s not the hug of Mr. Spendthrift-in-Chief immediately prior to the election? Then again, I suppose that’s not an insult to fiscal conservatism so much as it is to every single strain of conservatism ever conceived of.

Stoic Patriot on February 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM

After his vote on Hagle today, Rand Paul should be disinvited to speak at CPAC.

lewis1940 on February 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM

gophergirl on February 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Nice win for the Gophers.

bw222 on February 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM

You can’t people for being more than gunshy about him.

gophergirl on February 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM

No, I don’t trust Christie not to stab us in the back. I trust Christie about as far as I can throw roll him.

But I know that I can trust him to look out for my best interests far more than even the most “conservative” Democrat. And, quite frankly, as popular as he is right now, having him in the party is very preferable to having him opposing us. He’ll do a lot less damage if he’s inside the tent peeing out instead of outside the tent peeing in.

I don’t expect people to throw caution to the wind with Christie. I damn well do expect people to understand that conservatives don’t have the raw manpower to be throwing people out of the party and movement left and right. Unless you have been in a cave, we lost the 2012 election – a base turnout election – and it wasn’t close.

Now, people blame Romney for not turning out the base. Bullcrap. Obama should have turned out the base. The sad truth is that the base just isn’t what it used to be.

KingGold on February 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Nice win for the Gophers.

bw222 on February 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM

:D Serious they are going to kill me LOL!

gophergirl on February 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Cupp is preparing for a party change…when’s the BIG announcement?

d1carter on February 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM

The Republican Party needs Christie more than Christie needs the Republican Party. Right now, if Christie said he was ticked off at the Republicans and was going to run as an independent, he would win in a landslide. However, if he quits the Republican party, people will be looking at it as just one more failure of leadership.

For someone from CPAC to say Christie has no future in the Republican Party is just wrong. Republicans have always been diverse, especially as far as social and fiscal issues are concerned. Christie is OK on the fiscal issues, and a loser on the social issues, but that’s fine in New Jersey and the rest of the Northeast.

CPAC needs to figure out how they can put out a coherent conservative message and win over the weak-kneed Republicans to follow through with it. It’s not the message that’s the problem it’s the messengers.

bflat879 on February 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM

se cupp, a morning joe wannabe

cmsinaz on February 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 26, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I was proudly banned many years ago as well. And I was on HA before then, just came home.

VegasRick on February 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM

KingGold on February 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM

…or perhaps you need to provide them with a choice, not an echo.

Stoic Patriot on February 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM

gophergirl on February 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM

just heard

alright!!!!

cmsinaz on February 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM

bflat879 on February 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM

CPAC has occurred yearly since 1971. This will be their 43rd year. In that time, what has it accomplished? Ever? I’ll even give you 1980-1988. What has CPAC done for conservatism any other year?

gryphon202 on February 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM

here’s S.E. Cupp announcing that she won’t speak there this year

Who cares? Cupp’s an idiot. She’s semi-hot, but a moron and nothing approaching a conservative. It’s not MSNBC that did anything to her. She pretty much sucked at Fox, too – at least back a couple of years ago when I used to watch Fox. Can’t say that I miss Fox. There are no decent TV news channels. I get my news on the internet, now. TV is for movies and entertainment, not slanted news.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Since you chose to make that be the litmus test by making this “article”, Allahpundit………why? Don’t you KNOW what you’re doing?

williamg on February 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM

In NJ, no doubt….elsewhere, no way.

JFKY on February 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM

bflat879 on February 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM

LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP LOL OMG ROTFLOL GASP

astonerii on February 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM

…or perhaps you need to provide them with a choice, not an echo.

Stoic Patriot on February 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM

There was a choice. Obama or Not Obama.

Easiest choice I made all year.

KingGold on February 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM

VegasRick on February 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I wasn’t banned-just treated like I was invisible. I WAS banned from Barking Moonbat Early Warning System…because co-founder Allan Kelly was a misogynist who couldn’t deal with women criticizing him.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 26, 2013 at 9:27 PM

just heard

alright!!!!

cmsinaz on February 26, 2013 at 9:25 PM

:D would have loved to be at the Barn

gophergirl on February 26, 2013 at 9:27 PM