WaPo: Beretta starting to look at moving out of Maryland after gun-control push

posted at 4:01 pm on February 25, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier today, I linked to a Christian Science Monitor report that the firearms industry had begun to organize in opposition to the recent push for increased gun control, but that the major manufacturers had not yet committed themselves.  That situation has changed, reports the Washington Post, at least in Maryland, where Beretta makes it home — at least for now.  The company has begun considering a relocation of its headquarters to a state where its product hasn’t been made illegal, and may take hundreds of jobs with them:

Beretta, the nearly 500-year-old family-owned company that made one of James Bond’s firearms, has already invested more than $1 million in the machine and has planned to expand its plant further in Prince George’s County to ramp up production.

But under an assault-weapons ban that advanced late last week in the Maryland General Assembly, experts say the gun would be illegal in the state where it is produced.

Now Beretta is weighing whether the rifle line, and perhaps the company itself, should stay in a place increasingly hostile toward its products. Its iconic 9mm pistol — carried by every U.S. soldier and scores of police departments — would also be banned with its high capacity, 13-bullet magazine.

“Why expand in a place where the people who built the gun couldn’t buy it?” said Jeffrey Reh, general counsel for Beretta.

On the line: at least 300 jobs in Maryland’s Prince George County.  That’s enough to worry even Governor Martin O’Malley’s Democratic allies in the state legislature.  The Post’s Aaron Davis gets the president of the state Senate, Thomas Miller, to admit that he’s “concerned” about a possible move to “places a lot more friendly to the company than this state.” In the lower chamber, the Democrat representing the district, Del. Joseph Vallario, told the Post that “we want to keep those jobs.” Vallario’s chairing the chamber’s Judiciary Committee, so he has some influence on that outcome, but so far the bill doesn’t seem to be slowing down.

Beretta general counsel Jeffrey Reh reminded the legislature that Beretta once moved a significant facility to Virginia the last time the state tried this, and that the next time might be the last:

“I think they thought we were bluffing” in the 1990s, Reh said. “But Berettas don’t bluff.”

For obvious reasons, Beretta would like to stay put.  Moving any kind of business costs money, and manufacturing more than most, and the disruption to production will be considerable.  Given the history of hostility toward guns and gun manufacturing by the state’s political class, though, it might end up being costlier to stay than to leave. Reh told the Post that the Italian owner recently visited the facility, and when briefed on the law, told Reh, “There always seems to be a problem with Maryland.”

No company will put up with that forever, and few would stay in a state where most of their product line couldn’t be sold.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What the hell were they doing in MD to begin with?! Sheesh. People should check in with me now and then.

Akzed on February 25, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I’d have left Maryland a long time ago.

UltimateBob on February 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Come to Texas, Beretta!

Weight of Glory on February 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM

These company’s need to quit with threats and move.Any decent place will welcome them with open arms and support.Would you stay where you were hated?

docflash on February 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM

What’s to weigh?

This is like wringing your hands over whether to locate in Pyongyang or Oklahoma City.

Get out and come to our neck of the woods.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Weight of Glory on February 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Yes, Texas is pretty nice. If they do, I may up the number of Berettas I own.

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Background checks? Why would any sane person make a pact with the devil?

Don L on February 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Oklahoma City.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Traitor!

You got a problem with Stillwater?

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Come to Texas Beretta! I love Beretta shotguns, I have three. We love gun makers and freedom here too!

Webrider on February 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I think it’s about time I bought a Beretta.

petefrt on February 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Texas or Georgia. Better yet, a native American reservation.

ROCnPhilly on February 25, 2013 at 4:13 PM

All industry to Texas.
Guns, banks.
I just need to know that te Spam Headqurters and Haribo Gummy Bears will be relocating before I pack my bags.

AllahsNippleHair on February 25, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Yes, come to TX, we love and defend the 2nd here!

Latest update on gun companies not selling to law enforcement.

L

letget on February 25, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Grew up in OK, lived many years in TX, now reside in KS. Fallin, Perry, or Brownback should not only welcome the company, but offer an incentive to move the workers and their families. Always helpful to have people who know how to manufacture firearms.

questionmark on February 25, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I figure Texas Gov. Perry has already given them a call, since he’s already talked to Marpul in Colorado.

michaelo on February 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Magpul in Colorado is threatening to move if gun control is enacted there.
There are a bunch of gun manufacturers in NY facing similar problems too.

Our founders did not want the government to have a monopoly on force. But these guys are fascists. There’s no other word for it, and unless the courts or ballot box smacks them around, its going to get worse.

Oh, and why is it when Republicans get in, these changes are never undone? Yet when the libs get in, everything the Republicans do is thrown out.

Iblis on February 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

WaPo: Beretta starting to look at moving out of Maryland after gun-control push

Wake me up when Beretta joins the coalition refusing to sell anything to Law Enforcement that the general public cannot buy.

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Good grief, Obama the Great Destroyer is turning out to be just about the best thing to happen to Texas’ economy since the discovery of The East Texas Oil Field.

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

When the big manufacturers join a lot of people will wake up.

Still waiting for the first one and Barret ain’t big enough.

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

It’s not only Beretta. All Gun Manufacturers are facing the same issue in States that are restricting ownership.

Worse news for New York citizens: At least one local manufacturer, the storied Remington Arms Company founded in Ilion, N.Y., in 1816, is in dire financial danger as a result of Cuomo’s draconian regulations.

Michelle Malkin has a great artcle on this.

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Great…more lost jobs, tax revenue and money from the local economy.

Everything still going according to plan as far as the Cloward-Pivenites are concerned I see.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

…State SmartPower!

KOOLAID2 on February 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Iblis on February 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Since 2008, I’ve come to the conclusion that they are brothers.

I see no other explanation. If it looks like a duck, etc.

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Lancaster, PA ! …. NOW, NOW, NOW !

listens2glenn on February 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM

questionmark on February 25, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Fallin has already said that, after she leaves office, she’s getting her carry-conceal.

:O)

OhEssYouCowboys on February 25, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Baretta, Georgia on your mind? Work for hire. Promise we’ll treat you right down here, hear?

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM

O/T just a little tho. Guess what the NRA found?

I haven’t finished reading the memo yet, but so far….

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Come to Tennessee!!!!

ladyingray on February 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM

5th densest state among the 50 (not 57)

Land of fools

Schadenfreude on February 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I applaud the arms manufacturers showing solidarity with the American Freeman, but what I really want is some ammo manufactuer love.

I wonder: What does it take to start up an ammunition manufacturing site?

ROCnPhilly on February 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

When the big manufacturers join a lot of people will wake up.

Still waiting for the first one and Barret ain’t big enough.

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Unfortunately that is never going to happen, because the big boys make way to much money selling to LEO’s and the Federal and State Governments. Yes… They will sell the average American citizen out to continue selling to those LEO’s and the Federal and State Governments.

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Michelle Malkin has a great artcle on this.

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

My neighbor worked there when I went to high school in Little Falls (about 20 miles away). Thankfully, I’m in a friendly state now (Tenn).

ny59giants on February 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Its iconic 9mm pistol — carried by every U.S. soldier and scores of police departments —would also be banned with its high capacity, 13-bullet magazine.

The Beretta M9 magazine holds fifteen rounds. And it is not carried by every soldier, only those who have to manuever in close quarters on a regular basis.

M240H on February 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM

FWIW, I grew up on the Eastern Shore of MD. There’s a HUGE divide between Annapolis politics and what former Governor William Schaefer once called “The Outhouse of Maryland”.

The Eastern Shore loves its cultural heritage of working the land, and naturally it comes with a distinct difference of opinion regarding gun laws.

LWRC is based in Cambridge MD – I wonder if they’re considering moving too.

Defenestratus on February 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Would you stay where you were hated?

docflash on February 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Well, I still live in America, and I’m a member of the only group it’s acceptable to hate – white, Christian, male conservatives.

Washington Nearsider on February 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Click my Nic, check the newest article… There’s a thank you note to you in it… ;)

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Traitor!

You got a problem with Stillwater?

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM

cozmo, I LOVE Stillwater, but OKC has a more solid and varied economy. In fact, the gun companies can all relocate to OKC and build some sister factory/towers to the Devon Tower.

:O)

OhEssYouCowboys on February 25, 2013 at 4:29 PM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Don’t be so sure about that.

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 4:29 PM

“Maryland has the highest median household income, making it the wealthiest state in the nation” Schadenfreude on February 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Because DC is in MD.

Akzed on February 25, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Sturgis SD, Gun capital of the FUSA. Low taxes, eager workforce, the most gun friendly state. Forget Texas, as they will be absorbed into Aztlan here in less than a decade. Why move twice?

Bulletchaser on February 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Don’t be so sure about that.

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I would dearly love to be wrong about that, but betting any other way is the same as playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded Colt Model 1911… It never ever ends well…

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Land of fools

Schadenfreude on February 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

It appears so. They did not elect this fine person.

(Sent with the Big Red Button:-)

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Washington Nearsider on February 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM

… with guns!

:O|

OhEssYouCowboys on February 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Here in Colorado, i see them passing all of the laws through the Senate and then having Hickenlooper most likely signing them. The socialists here are not smart enough to understand the economic facts. besides, its the principle of the thing plus they will feel good about themselves [Just think how many of the children we saved] I will give it until 2014 election to see what happens but right now I am researching Air Force Villages in San Antonio.

retiredeagle on February 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Washington Nearsider on February 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM

… with guns!

:O|

OhEssYouCowboys on February 25, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I’ve only got a pistol (M&P .40) and a rifle (M&P-15T), but whether you own 2 or 2,000, you’re just as hated.

Washington Nearsider on February 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Ot, but I think all you conservatives who mocked Kerry owe him an apology over his so called gaffe.

bloggless on February 25, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Tennessee is good enough for Barrett, it is good enough for Baretta.

Trey

TMink on February 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Can individual states offer industry specific tax holidays. If so, I see someone making Beretta and offer it can’t refuse. Right Mr. Perry?

can_con on February 25, 2013 at 4:37 PM

bloggless on February 25, 2013 at 4:34 PM

If Kyrzakhstan Doesn’t Exist, Then How Did Kerry Vacation There?

The same way he was in Cambodia during his tour in Vietnam. No apology required.

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Oklahoma City.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Traitor!

You got a problem with Stillwater?

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Up in T-town myself. Love to see the gun makers come to the state.

msupertas on February 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

ny59giants on February 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

It’s too bad what’s happening. If we can see the handwriting on the wall, I’m sure the Gun Manufacturers can also. If it were my Company I’d move out; why take a chance on political foes to decide.

I think a lot of people are moving to friendly States:-) Never been to Tennessee, just W.VA and KY. I’m sure TN is similar. Lived in Texas many years tho & that was nice:-)

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM

On the line: at least 300 jobs in Maryland’s Prince George County. That’s enough to worry even Governor Martin O’Malley’s Democratic allies in the state legislature
Del. Joseph Vallario, told the Post that “we want to keep those jobs.”

hahahaha- This tickled me.
consequences ding bats

Time to move on!!

bazil9 on February 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Beretta- stop talking about it and just do it! These dolts just won’t get it unless it really hits them.

Jackalope on February 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Del. Joseph Vallario, told the Post that “we want to keep those jobs.”

Once again we see that the Democrats’ insistence on static modelling is kicking them in the junk. They simply can’t fathom that people will CHANGE THEIR BEHAVIOR when you begin punishing them for doing well.

Washington Nearsider on February 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM

These dolts just won’t get it unless it really hits them.

Jackalope on February 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Pun intended? ;)

bazil9 on February 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I find it interesting that 300 jobs on the line and now they start to get nervous. Is this to save lives or not? If that’s what you really believe then how can some jobs make any difference? Oh yeah, it’s actually about power.

WitchDoctor on February 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Washington Nearsider on February 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Sadly, that’s the problem. People control, any color; not weapons.
Restrict/remove weapsons and it’s easier to control people.

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Iblis on February 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Because most elected Republicans are basically in quiet agreement with Democrats on all major issues including gun control. While they oppose things like higher spending or gun laws if they lose they still get to reap the “benefits” the next time they come into power.

I increasingly regard the Republicans as a farce opposition party like you see in some third world countries, used to maintain the illusion of a real democracy.

Doomberg on February 25, 2013 at 4:47 PM

@witchdoctor

Exactly.

bazil9 on February 25, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I would have said “Come to Colorado” But too many scum sucking Californians have moved here. It’s starting to look like Effing San Bernadino here.

Kuffar on February 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM

hahahaha- This tickled me.
consequences ding bats

Time to move on!!

bazil9 on February 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Yes! I’d move out for the simple reason you even thot about messing with me, LOL

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Restrict/remove weapsons and it’s easier to control people.

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Which is why I won’t give mine up.

Washington Nearsider on February 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Hopefully Magpul keeps making that point with the Colorado politicians – enough so at least one (Governor???) makes the right decision.

Still waiting to see more of the big boys take a stand.

dentarthurdent on February 25, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Kuffar on February 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Those aren’t Californian’s, they are Marxist/Socialist economic locust who descended on California during California’s economic boom of the 60′s 70′s and 80′s and who, now having destroyed California’s economy, are moving on the greener pastures.

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Which is why I won’t give mine up.

Washington Nearsider on February 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Most people won’t.

If you don’t have time to read the NRA link and the Urban Cure link, bookmark it for later. The latter is 1:14 in length, but it is awesome!! They give credit to the NRA also. Quite surprising what I learned by watching it.

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Defenestratus on February 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Delmarvians don’t agree with much of anything that happens outside of the peninsula, and your right their politics are different, heck, anything below 404 is different from above it. I say they move the company to Slower Lower as a matter of fact Seaford would be a great spot since DuPont moved out, no sales tax, tax friendlier and it still benefits the other two states on the peninsula with jobs, win win in my book!

MarshFox on February 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM

MarshFox on February 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Hey MarshFox… Have ya clicked my link lately and checked out what I did with Bmore’s totally awesome photochops?

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Kuffar on February 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM

You must live in Denver or Boulder area. Only small parts of Colorado Springs are like that – but they’re growing way too much.

Colorado is currently NOT a good choice for gun companies to move – not unless the state Senate or Governor pull their heads out of their posterior orifices and kill this gun control crap they’re pushing.

dentarthurdent on February 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Up in T-town myself. Love to see the gun makers come to the state.

msupertas on February 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Born there, but grew up in OKC. Eons ago I had wonderful times in Tulsa, and Sapulpa and Kiefer and Beggs. Wonderful memories.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM

The last Maryland Governor to try this was Glendenning, the idiot who thought he was up for a prime spot in the Gore administration because he was a good little gun control soldier. Where did he end up? Who knows, but wherever it is it’s in complete obscurity.

This isn’t going to help O’Malley win the presidency in 2016, and it may not even help him with the nomination. An anti-gun, crime-loving, tax-hiking, business-hating economic illiterate is going to be a tough sell to anyone. And Cuomo’s in the same boat–either one is going to completely lose the south and most of the midwest.

I’m sure they think things will be different this time though…

PetecminMd on February 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM

MarshFox on February 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM

But if the state legislature outlaws their products – it doesn’t matter what part of the state they’re in.

dentarthurdent on February 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Land of fools

Schadenfreude on February 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

It appears so. They did not elect this fine person.

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Thanks for the link.

Heard this on Glenn this morning, but the video is MUCH nicer.

listens2glenn on February 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Up in T-town myself. Love to see the gun makers come to the state.

msupertas on February 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM

T-town don’t count unless you spend time in Muskogee. And visit the Batfish often.

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Pun intended? ;)

bazil9 on February 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM

You betcha!

Jackalope on February 25, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Is like to know why S&W and Springfield Armory choose to stay in ME….seems odd that such a big players in the gun manufacturing business would stay in a state that hates guns and denies citizens their right to self defense.

jawkneemusic on February 25, 2013 at 5:05 PM

dentarthurdent on February 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I guess I need to clarify that a bit, Delmarva contains, the whole state of Delaware, part of Maryland and part of Virginia, Seaford where I said they should move is in Delaware, but those that live in the other two states are in such close proximity, they can at least benefit from the jobs it would bring, when DuPont was in my home town, people drove an hour from Virginia to work there. The Delmarva Peninsula is just that way, they are so close for three states, and they don’t act like three different states, they act like one homogeneous people with some township quirks.

MarshFox on February 25, 2013 at 5:05 PM

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 5:01 PM

cozmo, are you in Stillwater, or were you just referring to my HotAir name?

OhEssYouCowboys on February 25, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Beretta should seriously consider Wyoming, a great state for business in term of taxes and regs. And the Wyo legislature has been very busy this session, which ends in few days, with pro-gun laws. They would be welcomed with open arms (pun intended) and the people of Wyoming would love the jobs.

Jackalope on February 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM

jawkneemusic on February 25, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Because the percentage of their sales volume that come from ME is so miniscule that these laws have no impact on them.

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Because DC is in MD.

Akzed on February 25, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Not actually. DC gave up its MD component a long time ago. The problem is the people who run DC often live in MD (and that other place full of rich people, Northern VA).

GWB on February 25, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Jackalope on February 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Can’t say enough about how gorgeous the whole of Western Wyoming was, when I was in that part of the country – ’79.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on February 25, 2013 at 5:06 PM

yes you traitor.

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Okay, that’s funny, I don’t care who you are…

JusDreamin on February 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Remington will find a good home in Pennsylvania, similar to the one W. R. Case & Sons Cutlery found when they moved from upstate New York to Bradford, which incidentally also is the home of Zippo lighters and now part of the Zippo Company.

PatriotGal2257 on February 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM

That was awesome! You guys should continue to pair up, and I had been watching, just at work, been busy, prepping to get out of here and come home. Less than 70 days to freedom. Are you sure you weren’t part of a band called Lethal Steel from the Delmarva Peninsula in the 80s, that tune sound right up their alley:) Bmore does an outstanding job of laying out the carnage as you sing about getting out of it, love the combo.

MarshFox on February 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM

yes you traitor.

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM

LOL … I was at oSu from ’76 to ’80 – best 4 years of my life.

And when I was a Freshman, it was legal to drink beer at 18 – that changed my Senior year.

Does OhEssYouCowboys have timing, or what?

OhEssYouCowboys on February 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM

MarshFox on February 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM

ROTFLMAO… nope, pretty sure I have never been to the Delmarva Peninsula… Now if I could just figure out how to get that video to go viral…. <—- insert evil grin here…

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Jackalope on February 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM

lol

I have always wanted to see Wyoming. Sounds like a good place
for Beretta to make a new home. Time to load up the moving trucks. ;)

bazil9 on February 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Thanks for the link.

Heard this on Glenn this morning, but the video is MUCH nicer.

listens2glenn on February 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Yes, that video is very good. And he didn’t have notes or a teleprompter!!

I’m thinking Sarah Palin endorsed him, but not sure.

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM

MarshFox on February 25, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I’m familiar with DelMarVa. We lived in Pocomoke City until I was in 2nd grade – my Dad worked at Wallops Island. Still have a lot of extended family scattered around Baltimore, Salisbury, and such.

The problem is, gun control laws will apply across the whole state of Maryland, and Delaware isn’t exactly a gun friendly state either. Shoot – they’re the ones who elected Biden to begin with. So Beretta would have to go to the Virginia part to get gun friendly state laws – probably not a bad choice given the proximity to Chincoteague and Norfolk (via the Bay Bridge-Tunnel).

dentarthurdent on February 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

PatriotGal2257 on February 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Hi, hope all is well with you! So much to keep up with. Oh, I didn’t know that is where those Companies moved. Nice info.
It’s a big decision, since the politics can be favorable now, but change with future elections.

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on February 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM

You forgot to ask yet to what.

The only times I have been to Stillwater OK, was the times I went to visit my sister when she went to school there.

That makes you a bit younger than me. When they raised the drinking age in Texas from 18 to 21 There was a month and twelve days where I could not legally by alcohol. I stocked up. I was also doing service calls on coin machines in bars. If they wanted their machines fixed…

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM

bloggless on February 25, 2013 at 4:34 PM

The memory of my time in Kyrzakhstan is seared, seared in my mind. — J. F. Kerry

petefrt on February 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM

What Beretta is doing in Maryland to begin with, I have no clue. The People’s Republic of Maryland is Moonbat Central.

Do yourselves a favor, Beretta: If you want to stay in that area, move to Virginia. They like guns there.

Philly on February 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM

LOL … did you ever serve in our Legislature?

;O)

OhEssYouCowboys on February 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM

MarshFox on February 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Wow, OK, so I just google Earthed the Delmarva Peninsula, and other than the whole I’m pretty sure it snows there in the winter, it sure does look like someplace this creaky boned old Rock Star could comfortably retire.

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Any manufacturer which stays in a state run by Democrats is run by idiots — unless of course the Democrats in charge even bigger idiots, and give away the farm to big business while screwing small businesses to death, a la Illinois.

Beretta should move, no matter what the Maryland douchebag Dems do.

Jaibones on February 25, 2013 at 5:35 PM

dentarthurdent on February 25, 2013 at 5:26 PM

That’s awesome, so many Delmarvians on here:) You make a valid point, Delaware is being run in the dirt, but I take exception to the Biden issue, that was the Yankees up north that did that, not slower lower:) Maybe the southern tip would be better, but with the factory and the river there in Seaford, I just see it as an easier transplant. I can’t go back, so it wouldn’t benefit me, but I see it as sort of a revival for that area if it happened, and as small as Delaware is, it could make the south a force again and swing the balance in Dover to make it more friendly to such things. That said again your argument is valid and unfortunately I would have to agree that it is just wishful thinking that it would happen or make things better.

MarshFox on February 25, 2013 at 5:38 PM

300 direct manufacturing jobs usually translates into 4 times that many secondary jobs, some in fields that are so specialized that they will not be able to adjust.

pat on February 25, 2013 at 5:40 PM

jawkneemusic on February 25, 2013 at 5:05 PM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Actually Maine is very gun friendly. I went through junior high and HS there, and all of my immediate family still lives there. Me and my friends used to shoot out in the yard and in the woods near our houses all the time – in town, and never had a problem with the police.
Maine is a shall issue CCW state, has a state law that prevents municipalities from passing laws more restrictive than the state, and has open carry allowances – and NO bans of any kind.
Also home to Windham Weaponry, Saco Arms, and of course Bath Iron Works (they build Navy Aegis destroyers – with really big guns).
Although Maine has shifted more Dem than they used to be, don’t confuse Maine with Taxachusetts or NY.

dentarthurdent on February 25, 2013 at 5:40 PM