Top Romney strategist: No, I wouldn’t say the media’s “in the tank” for Obama

posted at 5:21 pm on February 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, I’m going to cut this guy a bit of a break, for two reasons. One: He’s not denying that the media’s on Obama’s side. He’s quibbling with the phrase “in the tank,” which he seems to define, roughly, as being unwilling to ask uncomfortable questions under any circumstances. By that definition, he’s right — why, just this morning the White House press corps got Jay Carney to skedaddle from the podium by pressing him a bit too hard about OFA influence peddling. It’s not that they categorically refuse to report stories that are “unhelpful” to the administration, it’s that they pull their punches with The One in ways they never, ever would with a Republican. The tone of their coverage about the DOJ’s “white paper” memo on targeting U.S. citizens is a classic example. So is Benghazi. In both cases they covered the story, but their coverage was more circumspect and incurious than it would be under President McCain or President Romney. Partly that’s because O’s on the same side of the Cause and partly it’s because they’re starstruck by him. When their professional interest in exposing abuses of power aligns with their political interest in promoting liberalism and its standard bearers, they’re far more formidable than when those interests are at cross purposes. That’s what it means to be in the tank.

Two: Stevens just came out with an op-ed running through the familiar post-election verse-chorus-verse about how the GOP’s problems can’t be attributed to any one factor but require a total yadda yadda yadda. When you’re making that argument, obviously you want to do what you can to downplay the effects of media bias on Republican chances. Otherwise, the energy to undertake needed reforms will be channeled into carping about the press and the GOP rehabilitation project will suffer. In Stevens’s case, the one factor that we supposedly shouldn’t attribute Romney’s defeat to is the technological gap between his campaign and Obama’s. That’s fine — even had Project ORCA gone swimmingly, there’s no reason to think it would have affected the election’s results — but what Stevens conveniently omits is that Romney wasn’t supposed to get beat on organizational nuts and bolts. That was his big selling point: He was a managerial genius who’d make up for his ideological heresies by running a ship as tight as the one he ran at Bain. Except he didn’t; he got crushed by the other guy’s consultants and data-crunchers, which undermines the whole argument for electing him technocrat-in-chief. That’s a big deal, even if it’s not an all-purpose explanation for the GOP’s problems.

Exit question via Charlie Spiering: Why, when the party’s busy trying to remake itself, won’t Romney and Stevens go away?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This is a joke right?No one could be this stupid and out of touch.

logman1 on February 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM

And ironically, this Basilsbest person was telling us all summer and autumn how “magnificently” the Romney campaign was going. And just like that, as soon as the Ohio results came in, the predicatble excuses from the ‘bots. It was Sarah Palin. It was TruCons. We was robbed. The voters are idiotic socialists.

ddrintn on February 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM

The three I named, plus bluegill, are the main reasons I stopped coming to this site. That and bringing Erika Johnsen on board.

Nom de Boom on February 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I KNOW what happened because I WORKED in that election cycle. I also correctly predicted that Romney would go back to his liberal roots when running, another reason Romney cost us elections.

You would no doubt be able to cite several examples of Romney going back to his liberal roots and thus losing support.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Mitt Romney is a first class executive and manager.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM

A “first class executive” — no matter what his area of specialty — would have ruthlessly examined the terms and truths of any new venture outside his zone of experience and success. He would have considered how the rules of politics were different than those in the investment world and looked around him at those who could give him qualified, incisive no-BS advice, that is, those who’d demonstrated knowledge of the field, risk in the field and success in the field. In short, he would have adapted by learning himself but most of all finding the people who could form and adapt their more specific knowledge into a shape that fit his higher goals. That is what successful people do. He would have found those with whom he could work closely and trust and who would know his strengths and weaknesses and how to match them to these new challenges.

Romney, based on his choice of advisors, and on the advice he ultimately accepted and rejected, cannot be considered a top-level executive.

The only caveat would be if Romney had disqualifying personal issues or deficiencies related to politics that made it impossible for him to choose and listen to good advice. But based on those he hired, this wouldn’t matter, as he did not hire people who would help him to succeed.

I’m confident of all this this because my father was a top-level corporate executive. He was successful in three different fields (broadcasting, investment banking and sales). In all cases he knew how to learn, adapt and hire the right people. He didn’t have to know everything or be involved in every minute detail — but he had to find the right people.

Romney hired absolutely the wrong people. He failed to understand what challenges he needed to meet and failed to find those who could help him understand them and meet them.

rrpjr on February 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I remember the good old days when the media was not 90% in the tank for the Democrats. .

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM

They’ve been that way for a century. Try a new excuse.

ddrintn on February 25, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Reading the comments on here and listening to everyone just denigrate a decent man (not perfect, certainly not conservative, but decent) like Romney is it no wonder no GOOD candidate will run.

Would YOU put yourself out there? To have the media give you and your a colonoscopy and then the people supposedly on YOUR SIDE do exactly the same?

And before anyone takes this as a defense of Romney in particular (because this sh1t goes one for every failed candidate in whatever house), it isn’t. It’s a rebuke of every complainer out there.

kim roy on February 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM

You know what? I’d be willing to bet a significant percentage of the people “whining” are folks who donated their money or their time. I know I did. Like an idiot, I allowed my business to suffer while I worked 15-30 hours a week for the Romney campaign, while a bunch of born-loser consultants (who Romney hired, incidentally) did their best to throw the game.

No. We get the right to take potshots at Romney, because he let us down. He failed hard, and he did it by ignoring facts that any two-bit conservative blogger could have recited in his/her sleep.

Let’s make an example of him. Pour encourager les autres.

Nom de Boom on February 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Mitt Romney is a first class executive and manager.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM

By the way, running an investment firm is a totally different beast than the traditional CEO or COO role.

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM

While the RomBots were still licking their well deserved WOUNDS while remaining busy collecting splinters, this is what I was doing.

Maybe if they had gotten involved Willard would have won, but since they elected to stay home, comfortable and have real Americans do the work THEY REFUSED TO DO, we will never know for certain.

“One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors”. Plato

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Global warming, indexing the minimum wage to inflation, being “proud” of MassCare but promising never ever to do that to the rest of the country, and so on.

ddrintn on February 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM

How old are you? Did you play Little League with Ty Cobb? MSM has voted 90% Democratic at least since Watergate.

bw222 on February 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM

It’s funny how they accuse conservative, Tea Party types of staying at home and doing nothing this past election when I have yet to see any evidence that they even actually got out there and pounded the pavement for their Great Electable One.

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Nom de Boom on February 25, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Ditto. If you haven’t seen it, read David Horowitz: How Republicans can win.

This piece from winter 2012 dovetails with the above. I linked to it numerous times last year.

Romney’s Businessman Pitch Won’t Work.

I wrote up how I see the two pieces working together here.

INC on February 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

He didn’t flip you off. You flipped him off.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Unlike YOU, the American[?] who chose to stay home all warm and comfortable, I, the AWE inspiring Danno Man, WORKED to get him elected. I fought the unwinable fight so YOU could remain lethargic!

BTW, remember what I told you last April? Well …

I
TOLD
Ya
SO!

[and real Americans go w-i-i-l-l-d!]

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Nom de Boom on February 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Me too.

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM

How about the “I’m totally cool with abortion” ads he ran in the final weeks of the campaign in swing states that turned off a bunch of pro-life voters?

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

It is not funny. It is pathetic.

Nom de Boom on February 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM

If money was the issue Romney would have won. No, it was the effort put out by grass roots supporters that always win elections, so please DO TELL of how many doors you knocked on to tell people about how wonderful Romney was and then request permission to place his 2012 election sign[s] on their lawns. DO TELL of the multiple times you went to work at your local GOP Victory Center. How about the time you spent as a poll watcher, the effort to guarantee all votes cast were eligible votes.

I know for a fact that Romney and the GOPe succeeded in making enough activists mad to create a shortfall in volunteers last year. I told people in Hot Air about that and they still did nothing, thus I was right when I predicted Romney would lose last April.

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM

ddrintn on February 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Links please.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Basilsbest -

Can I ask you a serious question? Why did Romney (through his PACs) carpet-bomb his primary opponents and go so easy on Obama in the general election? For the three weeks before the Michigan primary, there was a radio ad on most stations attacking Santorum every 30 minutes.

Romney ran a horrid campaign, outspending Obama on national television ads and getting much less for his money and then there was the OCRA fiasco in which 30k+ volunteers were unable to function..

Are you trying to tell us that Team Romney ean a good campaign?

bw222 on February 25, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Look it up yourself.

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM

OCRA = ORCA

bw222 on February 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I think you’re misunderstanding who my comment was directed toward. Yes, I volunteered for the Romney campaign, directly. I phone-banked, canvassed, and even spent my own money running a micro-targeted guerrilla marketing campaign. I also donated significant cash. I would have been doing poll-watching on election day if it hadn’t been for the idiotic ORCA debacle, but I still managed to get hooked up with the local Party folks and do coffee runs for everybody at the local HQ.

My point is that people have a right to criticize Romney. He screwed up. He wasted hundreds of thousands of man-hours and a bajillion dollars.

*I definitely agree that he screwed himself by spitting in the face of the grassroots. The 2010 intensity just wasn’t there. Why should it have been?

Nom de Boom on February 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM

This will be the last time I bother doing YOUR HOMEWORK for you, child.

Romney: GOP convention theme against Obama will be “nice guy, failed President”

Romney today: Romneycare is fundamentally conservative

Romneycare Becomes Obamacare, Then Coultercare

Romney refuses to criticize Obama on anniversary of 9/11; Obama, not so much

and finally:

How Mitt Romney’s missteps kept Obama in the presidential race

I’ve got vision while the RomBots wear liberal stained bifocals.

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

This Basilbest quote never gets old:

if Sarah Palin had backed the only candidate with a prayer of defeating Obama and the Primary had ended after Florida Mitt Romney would likely have won.

Basilsbest on November 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

portlandon on February 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Nom de Boom on February 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM

My bad. I grovel in the dirt before you.

Hope that put a smile on your face. You see, I can be a bit of an insufferable smarta$$ when anyone torques me off even when that person is not you.

BTW, GREAT JOB! I am PROUD to know you as you are a True Patriot!

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM

portlandon on February 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Somehow I feel sure that if team Romney had asked the snowbilly from Wasilla to campaign for him in the general that she would have done so.

INC on February 25, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Of course:

Romney: GOP convention theme against Obama will be “nice guy, failed President”

Romney today: Romneycare is fundamentally conservative

Romneycare Becomes Obamacare, Then Coultercare

Romney refuses to criticize Obama on anniversary of 9/11; Obama, not so much

and finally:

How Mitt Romney’s missteps kept Obama in the presidential race

I’ve got vision while the RomBots wear liberal stained bifocals.

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I’ve decided to help Basilwurst out.

From October 16, 2012:

NEW YORK — Mitt Romney’s campaign has released a new TV ad suggesting the Republican hopeful believes abortion “should be an option” in certain cases.

The ad features a woman saying she’d heard Romney’s position on abortion and birth control “seemed a bit extreme.” She says she’d learned Romney doesn’t oppose contraception and believes abortion should be available in cases of rape, incest or when the life of the mother is at stake.

The woman in the official Romney campaign ad says that anyone who doesn’t believe in rape/incest/life-of-the-mother exceptions is “extreme.”

Mere seconds later, Romney shows up to say “I’m Mitt Romney and I approve this message.”

So you have Romney saying he approves the message that those who are pro-life in all circumstances are “extreme.”

The ad was set to air in Virginia, Wisconsin and Ohio.

My mom also saw the ad airing in the I-4 corridor area of Florida in late October. She was horrified that Romney and his campaign would call pro-lifers “extreme.” It really turned her off. She voted for him anyway, but how many fence-sitters decided to stay home because of that slap in the face to pro-life conservatives?

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 7:54 PM

This Basilbest quote never gets old:

Basilsbest on November 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

portlandon on February 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM

HMM! I thought Basil hated Palin. If so he got what he deserved.

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Look it up yourself.

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM

You made the accusation that Romney ran ads saying he was cool with abortions – a description that demonstrates not just bias but dishonest bias. So the burden is upon you. I assume he ran ads disassociating himself from Mourdock’s position on pregnancy resulting from rape – a position opposed by 80% of the public.

Romney was ahead in the polls until Mourdock’s pronouncements went viral.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Mitt Romney is a first class executive and manager. He was up against a campaign that had the support of 90% of the media and which had been organizing for 5 years.

He was also walking a tightrope as he tried to appeal to the disparate elements of the GOP without alienating Independents.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Translation: Mitt Romney is not to blame for Mitt Romney’s loss.

Basilsbest on November 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Translation: Sarah Palin is single-handedly responsible for Mitt Romney’s loss.

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Romney was ahead in the polls until Mourdock’s pronouncements went viral.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Romney was ahead in the same polls afterwards, too. So what?

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM

The Romney campaign was so incompetent it sent out a mailing to 30k volunteers with a check list that had bring a chair printed twice but omitted “bring poll watching credentials.”

Can you believe the materials sent to 30k election day volunteers were not proofread by multiple people.

bw222 on February 25, 2013 at 7:58 PM

This is a joke right? No one could be this stupid and out of touch.

logman1 on February 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I feel the same way about the Romney supporters who REFUSED to look up his LIBERAL record while he was Governor of Mass.

Consider that Romney IS A LIBERAL, then you can clearly see why he and his staff believed the press were his friends.

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM

HMM! I thought Basil hated Palin.

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM

A man is known by the company he keeps:

Buy Danish, basilsbest and cdseven, you guys are the best! Always make the most sense.

bluegill on December 31, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Basilsbest on December 21, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Agree with that 100%. You and CDSeven are my favorite commenters on here.

bluegill on December 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM

HMM! I thought Basil hated Palin. If so he got what he deserved.

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I was a palinista until she demonstrated poor judgement supporting Newt and then brain dead judgement calling for a brokered convention (which she hoped would pick her but which would have left the GOP totally unable to mount an effective campaign for the presidency).

She put her interests ahead of the party’s interest.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Basilsbest on November 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

It didn’t appear that Gov. Romney wanted Sarah Palin’s help. I don’t remember him even inviting her to the convention. Oh yes, she gave the keynote disguised as a 500 pound man.

Mitt Romney has no one to blame but himeslf. He hired an incompetent staff and didn’t have the courage to fight back when the Obama campaign threw everything it had at Romney.

bw222 on February 25, 2013 at 8:03 PM

“No, I wouldn’t say the media’s “in the tank” for Obama”

Why not? Were you threatened? Perhaps you’re just stupid./

Nah, he’s just hoping the bread falls butter side up. Do you think they’d print it if he called them out? If they did, would they let it go unchallenged?

S. D. on February 25, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Basilsbest on December 21, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Agree with that 100%. You and CDSeven are my favorite commenters on here.

bluegill on December 21, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I supported Palin’s decision to quit and on numerous occasions took issue with cdseven’s unfair criticism of her decision.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I think that if I were a Romney strategist I would be keeping my head down and certainly not advertising my role in such an inept campaign.

If you subtract the people who had to hold their noses while casting a vote for Romney Obama’s victory would have been a total route.

Nomas on February 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Romney spent four times as much on spot TV ads as Obama:

Basilsbest reply: Sarah aplin forced Romney to overpay for those ads.

bw222 on February 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I was a palinista until she demonstrated poor judgement supporting Newt

She didn’t endorse him, and there was no SarahPac involvement, no campaign events, no stumping, no fundraisers, etc. She basically just said she voted for him in the AK primary and liked a lot of the things he was saying.

She didn’t call for a brokered convention. She just said, when asked, that it wasn’t necessarily a bad thing and shouldn’t necessarily be feared. She wasn’t angling to be the nominee.

She put her interests ahead of the party’s interest.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM

How so? She’s been out there more than anyone taking on Obama. Definitely more so than Romney ever did.

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Nomas on February 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Actually, I think that the fact they ensured Obama was re-elected enhances their career opportunities with the media (e.g. Steve Schmidt and Nicolle Wallace).

bw222 on February 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Romney was ahead in the polls until Mourdock’s pronouncements went viral.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Romney was ahead in the same polls afterwards, too. So what?

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM

No he wasn’t. Not in the poll averages. I wrote several comments on this just after the election. Mourdock and Sandy (Christie) gave Obama a large boost.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I liked Romney. I voted for Romney. I still believe Romney would have been a better president than Obama.

WestTexasBirdDog on February 25, 2013 at 6:12 PM

We would have spent the next four years having the best thing we could have said about him being, “At least he’s not Obama.”

Cleombrotus on February 25, 2013 at 8:14 PM

“I was a palinista until she demonstrated poor judgement supporting Newt”

Oddly enough bluegill also claims to be a one-time Palin supporter. lol.

bw222 on February 25, 2013 at 8:14 PM

They clearly don’t understand that’s what a party leader does,

narciso on February 25, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Sarah Palin never endorsed Gingrich. Todd Palin did. She did praise Gingrich on FNC, mainly for the way he was attacking the media.

If Romney wanted her support, the ideal thing would have been to invite her to the convention and have her give a prime time speech attacking Obama and ending with an endorsement of Romney. Mitt felt Chris Christie (who talked mostly about himself) was a wiser choice.

bw222 on February 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Mourdock gave his answer about abortion at an October 23 debate. The RCP average then had Romney up by 0.9%

Romney maintained a lead in the average of 0.6% – 1.0% through October 30, when Romney’s lead was 0.8%.

On October 31, the average showed a tie, then Romney trailing through November 6.

It’s pretty hard to make a case that Mourdock’s comments had much to do with Romney’s poll lead disappearing when the reversal of fortune didn’t come until a full week later, when Hurricane Sandy was already underway.

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Anyone else notice that Basilwurst is almost always wrong on the facts?

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Which average are you referring to? Source?

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM

This is just one person that surrounded Romney. Multiply this denial by factors of 5 and you wind up with “Loser”. You seem to think that failure is to be celebrated which is precisely why you then we got our clocks cleaned. Move on Stevens and take Romney, Coulter, Rove, Kristol and Christie with ya.

Tangerinesong on February 25, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Which average are you referring to? Source?

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM

The RCP average.

Surely you’ve heard of it?

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 8:35 PM

This is a joke right?No one could be this stupid and out of touch.

logman1 on February 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Really.

Did the Daily Current produce this somehow?

How could anyone have taken this man seriously?

To not understand how in the tank the Media is for Obama at this point really makes me wonder about someones sanity.

Well that is unless they are every bit as in the tank themselves for Obama.

After per his son Mitt never wanted to win. The way the debates went he seemed to want to keep it close but not win thus did not repeat his first performance in the other two debates.

He and Stevens now seem to be doing their best to finish destroying the GOP.

Steveangell on February 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM

This Basilbest quote never gets old:

Basilsbest on November 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

portlandon on February 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM

In other words, Sarah Palin is more electable than Mittens ever was. Or the glorious Romney wouldn’t need her to win.

Whereas, I am fairly sure, she wouldn’t need him…
In fact I know it.

Sharr on February 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM

These rino MORONS, never learn! Know matter how many times they get skewered by the media,they think that kissing a Back Stabber’s back side, is going to help somehow. Yet they still wonder why they loose the majority of the elections. Well, for those who have enough common sense to hear, remember, “The Only Thing You Find in the Middle of the Road, Are Road Pizzas”!

God Bless America!

paratisi on February 25, 2013 at 8:43 PM

She put her interests ahead of the party’s interest.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Now this is why you will always fail. You see, Sarah, like the TEA Party Patriots, REFUSE to assist the RINO’s aka. the GOPe because THEY ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!

until you can see that, recognize Romney as being 0bama white, and understand that Liberal ideals NEVER WORK, you will remain the fool they made of you last year.

Just to prove that I’m not totally disgusted with you, here are a few links that might cause you to wake up to the truths of today’s political situation:

Mark Levin exposes Karl Rove, Steven J. Law and why they are bad for GOP

Karl Rove Vs. the ‘Far Right’

and

Trump, Levin Right About Rove

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 8:44 PM

And we wonder how Romney lost to a lying, manipulating, incompetent, US hating, Socialist Muslim, who never had a real job.

RdLake on February 25, 2013 at 9:09 PM

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM

So it took all of a week for the effect of Mourdock’s statement to become known. Given the efforts of the liberal media to capitalize on Mourdock’s statement, the fact it took a full week to turn the election in Obama’s favor speaks to the strength of the Romney campaign – which had pretty well everyone here pretty excited and even the esteemed and cautious political analyst Michael Barone predicting a Romney victory.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM

She put her interests ahead of the party’s interest.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM

In addition to everything else that others have said, I’d like to remind you that BEFORE the 2008 election Romney campaign people were trashing Sarah Palin.

Team Romney’s spite helped bring us Obama’s first term. Their incompetence helped bring us Obama’s second term.

INC on February 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Mark Levin exposes Karl Rove, Steven J. Law and why they are bad for GOP

Karl Rove Vs. the ‘Far Right’

and

Trump, Levin Right About Rove

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 8:44 PM

That’s some admission. You elected Obama.

No wonder here as to why the GOP lost. It’s easier to herd cats. Democrats are serious about politics and will support the party, no matter what. Conservative purists would rather lose than put a little water in their bourbon.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Bryan Preston No Wonder Romney Lost

It’s politics 101 that you should know your enemy before going into battle. You have to know your opposition in the other party and the media too….Stevens appeared on Howard Kurtz’s show over the weekend, and demonstrated that he didn’t know the first thing about who his enemy really was during the campaign….

STEVENS: I think after that the election, you’re going to have a lot tougher questions that are going to be asked because you’re out of an election environment. I think you’re seeing that this past weekend with this whole golf outing.

After the election, the “tough questions” matter a whole lot less.

With all due respect, Mitt Romney is a smart man but he hired a fool to be his chief strategist.

INC on February 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM

INC on February 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM

You’ve got to give Basilsbest credit for being one stubborn cuss. Damn shame we cannot educate him[?] though. He could be a real asset if he would cast off the RINO programming he[?] has been subject to.

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 9:18 PM

INC on February 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I think you are referring to things said after the election. There is no evidence these people were speaking for Romney. He would have no reason to cut her down as there was no chance of her running in 2012.

I have never heard Romney say anything negative about Palin. And vice versa. She correctly described him as a strong candidate.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Good night folks.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM

That’s just not true, and you know it. For a full week after Mourdock’s remarks (October 24 – 30), Romney stayed pretty steady in the poll averages with a slight lead.

Sandy hit NYC on the 29th. There was virtually zero coverage of anything BUT Sandy after that point. Obama had a chance to look like a leader, with a huge assist from the press and from Christie. That’s when the polls definitively flipped. And you know that.

The “strength of the Romney campaign,” my adz.

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 9:26 PM

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

And steebo77 is definitely NOT one who can be accused of “bashing” Romney. He was a pretty good soldier for Romney, and I used to get into it with him over polls here.

ddrintn on February 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM

^ A pretty good soldier for Romney after the nomination was clinched, I should add.

ddrintn on February 25, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Stevens … demonstrated that he didn’t know the first thing about who his enemy really was during the campaign….

INC on February 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM

That’s all that needs to be said, really. They were shipwrecked as soon as they got aboard with this idiot.

rrpjr on February 25, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM

No. Before. I have links.

INC on February 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I remember the good old days when the media was not 90% in the tank for the Democrats. Romney ran ahead of the Party. He paid a big price for supporting your Tea Party candidate Mourdock.

He didn’t flip you off. You flipped him off.

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Wow, that’s some weapon grade koolaid you’ve been drinking. The media was 90% in the tank for Carter but Reagan and his campaign knew how to go over their heads and communicate directly with the American people. Carter’s presidency and Obama’s had the same success record — should have been a clean sweep, but the Romney campaign by its pandering to that glorified “middle” voter managed to come across as weak-kneed and flaccid. The press was 90% in the tank for Mondale, yet Reagan cleaned his clock in his second election. … and remember, there was not AM talk radio back then — heck, we all thought Paul Harvey was the conservative voice on the radio. The press was really 90% in the tank for Dukakis, but Bush I managed to eke out a win. The press was 90% in the tank for Clinton and Bush I had squandered his Gulf War approval by breaking his promise not to raise taxes (campaign promises only matter if you are a Republican, the press sees to that). The press was 90% in the tank for AlGore and Bush II managed to eke out a win.

The problem with both McCain and Romney were that they ran spirited, absolutely brutal and bruising campaigns against their opponents. They weren’t afraid to dig up dirt, use misdirection if not out and out falsehoods to smear the opponents and spent huge sums on campaign commercials to win. Unfortunately, that was in the primaries. Once they secured the nomination, they were reserved, timid, unwilling to really go on the attack. Once they secured the nomination, they also both appeared to be genuinely surprised that the press that had wholeheartedly covered their primary campaigns in such positive glowing terms (the “most electable” Republican candidate, “pragmatic, will be able to work with the other side”, “real campaigner”) were now bent on the total and complete destruction of their campaigns, their characters and their lives.

AZfederalist on February 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM

You are SUCH a programmed TOOL! If you spent 1/100th of the time you use to keep your head buried in the sand you would be able to keep up with my grandchildren … MAYBE!

BTW, thank you for all of those nonexistent proofs you were incapable of providing.

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM

The only really good question.

And the answer is, of course, they’ve got another election to win.

By which I mean, to take a stab at winning while completely blowing it all over again. Of course.

But the fact remains: if they still want to be relevant as political consultants, they have to explain why they did the best they could, but the candidate failed, or the time wasn’t right, or …. something.

There Goes The Neighborhood on February 26, 2013 at 12:34 AM

With the dunce brigade firmly in command of the Republican Party one has only utter failure and destruction to look forward to.

rplat on February 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM

None of this matters anymore. The GOP is lurching to the left and its not just the establishment RINOs either. They’re betting that conservatives will hop on the socialist light bandwagon because they have no other place to go.

Wigglesworth on February 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Things like this scare the living hell out of me knowing there are people like this running the Country.

mixplix on February 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Is this the guy who told Mitt to say that Obummer was a nice guy, good family man, just in over his head? Uh huh and we’re now to believe whatever comes out of his mouth as gospel. When you worked for a loser, you don’t even appear as headlights in my rear view mirror.

Kissmygrits on February 26, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Basilsbest on February 25, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Yet where there was the most coverage of Mourdock’s comments(Indiana), people still managed to vote for Romney and against Mourdock. Romney won Indiana, Mourdock lost.

You wish us to believe that Mourdock had a larger impact on Romney nationally than he did in his own state a week later when the Obama-Sandy lib-media coverage was in full swoon. The limb you are sitting on is being sawed off by thine own hand.

weaselyone on February 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM

It was TruCons. We was robbed. The voters are idiotic socialists.

ddrintn on February 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM

So you maintain that voters are not idiot socialists? I beg to differ.

antisense on February 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I’m going to cut this guy a bit of a break, for two reasons. One: He’s not denying that the media’s on Obama’s side. He’s quibbling with the phrase “in the tank,” – AllahP

You would.
LDSers, et al. don’t get it. They are accustomed to being believed.
LMAO
ANY sentient American knows damn good and well that the MFM elected Obama.
Try to catch up, willya?
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on February 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Allahpundit isn’t “cutting this guy a break” – he’s “Touting Him and Clecbrating His Viewpoint”

you DO get that, don’t you?

So – WHY?

Because Allahpundit incites for The Enemy.

williamg on February 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Allahpundit isn’t “cutting this guy a break” – he’s “Touting Him and Celebrating His Viewpoint”

He’s PROMOTING IT!

williamg on February 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM

The real reason we lost is because tools like Alah sit here and “cut slack” for this level of gray area. You people simply don’t get it. Either you’re on the team or you’re not. When have you heard anyone on the left “cut slack” to Cory Booker after he left the reservation?

SuperBunny on February 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM

bw222, Schmidt and Wallace were not Romney strategists. WTH are you talking about. They are hasbeens from the McCain campaign.

SuperBunny on February 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM

STUPID PARTY.

rayra on February 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM

SuperBunny on February 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Re-read my post and this time pay attention.

bw222 on February 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM

This seems like another article planted here were conservatives read articles with the intention of upsetting people, and making them blame the republicans.

I often hear about inside the beltway republicans, and always wondered when Bush was president and there was an undercurrent of what was labeled “Establishment” or ruling class, who exactly are we talking about and what are they doing?

One difference between us, out here reading widely and people working in D.C. is that the environment there is tainted by media foisted notions, liberal ideas, the premises that WE don’t like in the presidential debates. The Gallup poll in there face every day of populist ideas, and populist measures, polled in just a certain way.

So, I am not believing this sound bite, because it might have been laid on him that way to get that response, so someone at that news room could say that they covered both candidates fairly.

For myself, I think every MSM news anchor had an agenda to present the president every day in a positive light, and then to begin most sentences: ‘Mitt Romney, who cannot win, whose beleaguered campaign, who is out of touch with the average person because of his millions…”

That is what most of us think, so to shove this factoid down our throat, I want to know what the set up was.

Fleuries on February 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM

“No, I wouldn’t say the media’s “in the tank” for Obama”

To quote Yoda “That is why you fail.”

WhaleBellied on February 26, 2013 at 5:30 PM

It was TruCons. We was robbed. The voters are idiotic socialists.

ddrintn on February 25, 2013 at 7:14 PM

So you maintain that voters are not idiot socialists? I beg to differ.

antisense on February 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM

No, I don’t think so. Not when they’re given a choice. That’s one of the funniest things in the aftermath of Romney’s defeat: the GOP runs Dem Lite against Dem and then when Dem Lite predictably follows one of the fundamental laws of the universe and loses they moan and wail about the “commie” public.

ddrintn on February 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM

traitorous a hole

wepeople on February 26, 2013 at 8:08 PM

If you hire idiots, you get idiotic responses.

Lonetown on February 27, 2013 at 5:02 AM

Later in the conversation, when asked if Romney’s apparent repudiation of conservative ideas and failure to defend his statements, such as the “47 percent” comment didn’t contribute to his electoral failure, Stevens thrust his fingers in his ears and said, “La la la, I can’t hear you”

Mr. Grump on February 27, 2013 at 7:14 AM

The truth is the complete opposite of what Stevens claims.

dthorny on February 27, 2013 at 1:11 PM

If this guy was a top strategist for the Romney campagn, he might as well have hired Axelrod. When are the Rpublicans going to learn noy to takeadvice fom the enemy or idiot strategist? I’ll bet Biden would have some good advice for them on the next election.

savage24 on February 28, 2013 at 10:00 PM

The Daily Beast is dropping Howard Kurtz, the veteran media critic who made headlines this week for his erroneous report about NBA star Jason Collins.

(EMPHASIS MINE)

So now Collins was an NBA star??? Lol looking at his profile page on ESPN he averaged less than 2 pts a game. And he was a career benchwarmer. Who only really played in garbage time.

This has become ridiculous. Pretty soon this guy is going to be in the HOF. And now he has sponsors literally lining up for him.

Smh.

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM

And as for Kurtz, good glad he got fired, he was a partisan hack. And the only reason he was fired was because he dared to say something critical about the Left’s new PET ROCK.

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 2, 2013 at 6:51 PM