Loathsome nanny-state mayor: The entire state should probably get on board with my soda ban

posted at 8:01 pm on February 25, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Because curtailing people’s freedom of choice within your own jurisdiction doesn’t amount to nearly enough government overreach for humanity’s self-anointed paternalists, obviously.

Bloomberg’s big-soda ban is set to go into effect in just a couple of weeks on March 12, but the law only applies to food establishments regulated by the Health Department; stores in which prepared foods make up less than 50 percent of sales, however, fall under the oversight of the state’s Agriculture Department and can escape the ban’s jurisdiction. That means that restaurants, bars, nightclubs, etcetera will all come under Bloomberg’s watchful eye, but supermarkets and the like are good to go. (So, what’s the point of this stupidly ineffectual ban again? Oh, awareness or something? Sorry, I almost forgot. Moving on.)

Bloomberg’s proffered solution to this obvious gap in enforcement efficiency? Just get the whole state to get with the program, duh. It’s for the children, after all. Reports the NY Post:

At a press conference today, the mayor was asked why pizza shops shouldn’t be in the same category as supermarkets, where customers would still be able to walk out with all the two-liter soda bottles they could carry.

“You have exactly the right question, but you’re asking it the wrong way,” the mayor said.

“Keep in mind we’re trying to save the lives of these kids, particularly kids…The state should do exactly the same thing in stores.”

Gov. Cuomo’s office said it was preparing a response.

Cuomo has tepidly endorsed the soda ban on the city-level before, arguing that the city can simply elect in a brand-new mayor if they end up hating it — I wonder if he’ll feel the same why about the ban’s merits when applied to the entire state?

Meanwhile, while Bloomberg ponders the ways to spread his nanny-state wisdom to larger realms, the rest of the city is battening down the hatches for the regulatory and economic impacts the ban is going to have on the food industries:

The city Health Department last week began sending brochures to businesses that would be affected by the latest ban, including restaurants, bars and any “food service” establishment subject to letter grades.

And merchants were shocked to see the broad sweep of the new rules.

“It’s not fair. If you’re gonna tell me what to do, it’s no good,” said Steve DiMaggio of Caruso’s in Cobble Hill, Brooklyn. “It’s gonna cost a lot more.”

And consumers, especially families, will soon see how the rules will affect their wallets — forcing them to pay higher unit prices for smaller bottles.

Typically, a pizzeria charges $3 for a 2-liter bottle of Coke. But under the ban, customers would have to buy six 12-ounce cans at a total cost of $7.50 to get an equivalent amount of soda.

“I really feel bad for the customers,” said Lupe Balbuena of World Pie in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn.

Comments

Who’s your Nanny?

KCB on February 25, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Messing with pizza joints in NYC?

Tony isn’t going to take this well..

wolly4321 on February 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I wish some legal beagle could explain how and why NYC authorities have this much power and did Bloomberg do this on his own or did the city council have to agree?

arnold ziffel on February 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM

It’s just amazing how this sorry SOB apparently just sits around all day coming up with the stupidest bull$hit…

BigWyo on February 25, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I think you’re looking at this the wrong way. I wouldn’t mind if they banned diet soda, arugula, hummus, tofurkey, and organic and fat-free foods. Oh, and expanding on from that, I would extend into other sectors, banning solar and wind-generated power, and make the purchase of any hybrid car a capital offense punishable by death.

There’s no way more certain to get liberals to stop nitpicking on meaningless garbage than to start banning their favorite stuff.

Stoic Patriot on February 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Obviously, the majority of New Yorkers are okay with this. Otherwise, they would do something about it.

Blake on February 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM

And yet you’re a Democrat.

I don’t.

HitNRun on February 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM

How much money would we save if we could eliminate the phrase “for the kids”…

hillsoftx on February 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I can think of more than a few choice words I haven’t used in decades to describe this. I’m glad I don’t live in NYC.

chemman on February 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Supplying abortifacients to teens = good

2-Liter bottle of goodness (e.g. Sunkist) = bad

Did I miss Bloomberg going after Beer/Malts by size? Or did that interfere with revenue…

John Kettlewell on February 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM

And yet, I am quite certain that you voted for him. Thrice.

ladyingray on February 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I’d like to see a list of DEMOCRATS, who are more liberal than Mayor Bloomberg.
I can’t think of any.

I can think of some who are close to being his equal, but I can’t think of any who are ‘more’.

listens2glenn on February 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

IT’S FOR THE KIDS DANGIT!!!

Warner Todd Huston on February 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Love for Cuomo took do this.. Please I want to watch those commercials in 2016.

Illinidiva on February 25, 2013 at 8:17 PM

And yet, you people voted for this a$$hat. Elections have consequences.

College Prof on February 25, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Hey, it worked for Obama, why wouldn’t Bloomingidiot copy it.

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I don’t.

HitNRun on February 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM

My first thought.

I don’t.

HitNRun on February 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM

My second thought.

Love for Cuomo took do this..

Illinidiva on February 25, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Me too.

cozmo on February 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I used to love NYC. Now, meh. New Yorkers, rid yourself of this scourge.

Philly on February 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM

New Yorkers, both city and state, voted for Leftists who rob them blind and try to mandate every facet of their lives. They have done this literally for generations. It is not like they don’t know what they are getting. Nor is it like New York, both city and state, is really part of the same country that we are. The only feelings that they have for us are hatred and contempt. Time it was returned. Conservatives should bail and leave them to wallow in their own effluvium.

Subotai Bahadur on February 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Stoic Patriot on February 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM

So, tyranny is fine with you as long as it doesn’t affect you personally?

Mayday on February 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I just Love me some Bloomberg…
Oh, not for me, lol, for all the sheeple who live in NYC!!

Scrumpy on February 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Erika, you misspelled “self righteous petty fascist control freak”.

Alberta_Patriot on February 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Mayor Nanny will be in Chicago in the coming days giving a speech at the Iternational Housewares Assoc. annual Expo… come hear the mayor babble

theblacksheepwasright on February 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM

So, tyranny is fine with you as long as it doesn’t affect you personally?

Mayday on February 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM

1.) A ban is not tyranny. Tyranny is a form of government in which a tyrant (Greek for king) rules.

2.) I have no problem going after political opponents. And I especially relish the idea of turnabout being fair play.

Stoic Patriot on February 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM

As long as Beer is exempt….

meci on February 25, 2013 at 8:34 PM

They vote for these nanny pri$ks..cry me a river.
You couldn’t pay me to live there.

bazil9 on February 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM

…I think Bloomie needs enemas 24/7…all of them over 2 liters at a time!

KOOLAID2 on February 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I think he should ban the catsup on a sheet of paper pizza.

wolly4321 on February 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM

And ban spaghetti and meatballs where you only get one meatball.

wolly4321 on February 25, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Aside from the offensive nature of the midget Stalin’s bans in general, the idea of banning drink sizes with friggin PIZZA!!! is hysterical. With PIZZA!!

But, New York voted for the midget Stalin three times, now. They deserve what they’re getting, fast and hard. They wanted an insane tyrant and they got one.

We should wall New York City off and keep all the animals locked in their own hell. They are clearly too stupid to be trusted to walk around free in other areas. Forget background checks for guns, I want political checks for people before they can leave any city. All leftists fail and have to stay in the sh!thole they created. Leftists who live outside of cities can stay in their homes but they aren’t allowed into the street, unless they are going into a city.

Universal Leftist checks. It’ll save more lives than any silly and offensive background checks for guns.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Ban homeless people begging and pigeons crapping on everything.

wolly4321 on February 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Yeah right Bloombat. Because you say so. Anything else?

pat on February 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM

New Yorkers getting EXACTLY the government they deserve, and getting it good and hard. I laugh.

quikstrike98 on February 25, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Ban rats on the subway.

wolly4321 on February 25, 2013 at 9:03 PM

If we cannot trust her to make the right choices in regards to soda …how can we trust her to raise a child?///

CW on February 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Ban cream cheese. You wouldn’t need the cut a bagel tax anymore.

wolly4321 on February 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM

….

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM

By the slice only. Coming to a pizzeria near you.

CW on February 25, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Brick walls. Blindfolds. Some assembly required.

sablegsd on February 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM

2 liter of jolt cola, beer bong, pack of mentos.

wolly4321 on February 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Don’t forget this is a guy who openly conspired to commit gun-law felonies in VA, who’s “punishment” was to have election laws changed so he could stay in office. Used dog food is of greater value.

S. D. on February 25, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Since I don’t live in NY, I haven’t commented much about this. But I would like to weigh in with one reaction:

LOATHSOME.

petefrt on February 25, 2013 at 9:21 PM

sure you do …

Let’s say a modest 40% margin on a 12oz can and Lupe is now making 3 bucks where she used to make $1.20. I’m sure her heart bleeds.

Lost in Jersey on February 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM

If this soda ban saves just one child….. Oh wait a minute it won’t!

Fact of the matter is that you can’t dictate behavior on this level and still consider yourself a democracy. Congrats NY, you bastards got the kind of liberal eden you’ve been demanding for decades. Between your despotic Mayor and Obama’s socialism this is indeed high cotton for you all. Remember that when Bloomberg or his successor decides just how many children you can have, if you can even own a car if you want to, or the institution of mandatory sentencing for blocking the box.

Happy Nomad on February 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM

If I recall correctly, there is a significant association between eating out (as opposed to cooking at home) and obesity, just as there is with soda consumption. Based on Bloomberg’s current standards, he should therefore ban all restaurants in New York City.

Go on, Bloomberg, I double dog dare ya. Unless, of course, you’re a hypocrite.

talkingpoints on February 25, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Ban homeless people begging and pigeons crapping on everything.

wolly4321 on February 25, 2013 at 9:01 PM

One way to ensure the Occupy Wall Street people can’t come back.

Why not just institute a homeless tax on the shelters? Homeless shelters encourage New Yorkers to be homeless. Get rid of the shelters and you solve the whole problem.

In the meantime the fact that a convenience store can still sell giant sodas (though apparently not in styrofoam for much longer) but the pizza joint next door can not shows just how absurd this public policy is.

Happy Nomad on February 25, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Congratulations, you voted for him, live with it morons…

Tim Zank on February 25, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Bloomberg’s a would-be totalitarian.

Robert_Paulson on February 25, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Congratulations, you voted for him, live with it morons…

Tim Zank on February 25, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Sadly, my brother who lives in Manhattan did and supports the bastard. I’m thinking the next family get-together I’ll show up with a garbage can sized soda in a styrofoam cup, the saltiest and fattiest food I can find; all toted in plastic bags. Just to tick him off when I point out what you can still get in the free parts of America.

Happy Nomad on February 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Screw ‘em! They voted that POS into office, they can live with him. So SHUT UP and open your wallets! After all, “It’s for the children!”

GarandFan on February 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM

New York City voters elected this petty tyrant, why should I feel sorry for them? They’re getting what they asked for.

Socratease on February 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM

the issue is the people. Will we throw out the bums…or be grateful for what they give us?

the light bulb thing (and others) is not encouraging. And his remark about the grocery stores not selling stuff either…is the the straight hard left response we heard from WI. The problem isn’t the union perks…we need to increase everyone’s benes to keep up

r keller on February 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Lost in Jersey on February 25, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Wow cynical and not very realistic.

How many consumers will now pass on the soda and go without. Once again the assumption that this shite happens in a vacuum is just plain wrong.

CW on February 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM

This little creep makes even Obama look sane and humble by contrast.

VorDaj on February 25, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Epitaph on the headstone of capitalism.

BacaDog on February 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I so WANT to see every liberal state like NY and CA go the way the Bloominliberal is going. I want them all to follow his lead, make that Utopia thing real for everyone in those most liberal of states.

I’m so dying for liberals to live under the demands they have made, set and put upon them as they voted.

I want liberalism to happen so bad that OWS and all the rest of the Left just HURTS. I want all liberals to be in pain in every kind of way; mental anguish so deep the only thing they can mumble is, “This wasn’t supposed to happen to me; this isn’t what I signed up for!”

I’m sooooo savoring this!

Liam on February 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Keep in mind we’re trying to save the lives of these kids, particularly kids…

So you limit the size of the carafe of soda I get with my bottle service at the bar… to “save the kids”.

When did you start letting kids into the bars again? I missed when you changed the drinking age to allow “kids” to drink.

Freaking idiot.

gekkobear on February 26, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I used to feel bad for the people of NYC who have to live under this nutcake’s authority, but not any more. They deserve every measure of abuse and misery that they repeatedly voted for.

To those who didn’t vote for it, why have you not fled to America?

WTF are you still doing there?

Bruce MacMahon on February 26, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Screw you New York….suck it. You hypocrites sat and nodded while Doucheberg banned smoking in bars, trans fat, and 10 other “none of his business” parts of your life, now one that makes you sad comes along and you are butt hurt.

I hope he bans air conditioning, plastic bags, Styrofoam, driving, swearing, and white socks….maybe you will stop electing tyrannical progressive jerks.

What am i saying…they will just whine a little and vote for the next Democrat on the list.

I have no sympathy for the repugnant swine that keep tossing their freedoms down the drain in the name of a political ideology.

Is there a more nauseating piece of inhuman debris than Bloomberg?

alecj on February 26, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Why can’t you heartless wingnuts just think of the children?

RINO in Name Only on February 26, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Maybe when Mayor Nanny-Nanny-Boo-Boo starts seeing less and less New Yorkers walking his streets because they have all said “Screw This!” and left town in droves, this clown will finally start to ponder if just maybe he went a tad bit over the top with some of his idiotic antics.

Though considering this goof thinks he is a genuine legend-in-his-own-mind, I doubt we will see that happen anytime soon, mass exodus or not.

pilamaye on February 26, 2013 at 5:30 AM

It isn’t like we had better alternatives to vote for. When the choice is Democrats Mark Green, Fernando Ferrer and Bill Thompson running each time against Bloomberg, quasi Republican, then Independent, what can you do? As a conservative, I held my nose and voted for the one who I thought would do the least damage. In 2001, I hoped that Bloomie’s business acumen would keep us from financial collapse after 9/11. In 2005 he was running against the annointed of the Democrat machine, Ferrer, who had never done anything of note as my Borough President. Bill Thompson was promoted by the Soros arm,the Working Families Party, as well as the Dems, oh boy.

His smoking, trans fat and now soda bans were all approved by the City Council. I assume those same hairbrained ideas and worse would happen under a Dem mayor, plus they would raise taxes higher and faster and never have tried charter schools or letting professionals in thier fields, with no education degree, teach.

Most of the choices this year are more of the same. For example; one strong contender for the Republican Primary is John Catsimatidis, another self made businessman who has also been all over the map politically. Joe Lhota worked for the Guiliani administration, but was made MTA Chief by Coumo; he does not seem to have ever changed parties, though. There are a few other Dems turned Republicans, as well. The best we can hope for is Police Commissioner Ray Kelly jumping in.

Whoever is the Republican candidate, I won’t be voting for Councilwoman Christine Quinn, the likely Democrat candidate.

Madisonian on February 26, 2013 at 8:30 AM

The man should be forced to watch the movie “Intolerance”

sadatoni on February 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Madisonian on February 26, 2013 at 8:30 AM

^^^^^This^^^^^

We’re not running Scott Walker or Ted Cruz here, unfortunately.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on February 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Loathsome nanny-state mayor: The entire state I should probably get on board with my soda ban the U.S.S Minnow.

hillbillyjim on February 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Bloomberg doesn’t want a working class in NYC, only two types of sheeple for him, the limousine liberals to go to parties with, and great unwashed, moochers to keep he and his ilk in government to create a permanent ruling class. He’ll just keep the welfare flowing, after all, who cares that people on gubment assistance go to a bodega and spend a C-note on chips, soda, and beer every other day…after all they have “no skin in the game”, and it’s not their money being spent.

Cuomo is just as vapid in his self-righteous, effected pronouncement “no one needs ten bulletsssss to killl a deeeeaaar and too many innocent people have died already”. Eventually, after going down the road of California, someone will “demand” that an adult take charge but by then too late, too bad, so sad. Just another reason why I left that hole of a state.

PatriotPete on February 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Every morning I thank God for allowing a New York that New Yorkers can love. I then thank him for allowing me to live a half continent away.

F New York.

Polish Rifle on February 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I’d like to see a list of DEMOCRATS, who are more liberal than Mayor Bloomberg.

Bloomberg only ran as a Republican in 2001 to capitalize on the immense popularity of term-limited mayor Giuliani. Bloomberg does not self-identify as a Republican anymore. He is an unabashed liberal in the very worst sense.

Right Mover on February 26, 2013 at 1:36 PM

LOL! That pic of Bloomberg looks like the Grinch to me. Great pic!!

“He’s a mean one Mr. Grinch,
he truly is the worst!”

Sorry, couldn’t help myself…

PermanentWaves on February 26, 2013 at 8:21 PM