CPAC: Chris Christie’s not invited this year

posted at 7:21 pm on February 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

I have my issues with him just like you do, but c’mon. Mitt Romney and Jeb Bush are conservative enough to speak at CPAC but not Christie? He’s the current vice chair of the RGA and will be chairman next year for the midterms. He’s headed for a landslide reelection victory in a deep blue state, where his approval rating is currently the highest for a New Jersey governor in the 17 years since Quinnipiac started tracking that. He’s one of the few members of the party with a national profile who’s reasonably well liked by voters across the board. Leverage his popularity, if only for a day.

I understand wanting to punish him for slobbering all over Obama after Sandy, but how do you find a spot for Chris Hayes and not for this guy? For cripes sake, Joe Scarborough’s spoken at CPAC. David Frum could probably get on a panel if he really tried. Their definition of “conservative” isn’t strict.

At least eight potential presidential contenders will be speaking at CPAC: Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, former Texas Gov. Rick Perry, and Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania.

There will also be five former presidential candidates attending: Romney, Perry, Santorum, former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich of Georgia, and former Republican Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin of Alaska…

One potential 2016 hopeful who won’t be there, however — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. Despite being the keynote speaker at the Republican National Convention and having a sky-high approval rating in the Garden State, CPAC officials told First Read Christie was not invited.

Christie rankled some on the right with his public support for President Obama’s handling of Hurricane Sandy in the weeks leading up to the 2012 election.

All they’re doing here, whether they realize it or not, is throwing him into the briar patch. Christie was never going to run as the conservative choice in 2016 and lord knows he’s not going to run as a conservative to get reelected in New Jersey. That’s how Democrats will try to paint him, of course, but now he has fresh evidence to rebut the charge — he’s unwelcome at the preeminent gathering of American conservatives. CPAC’s unwittingly helping him burnish his brand as the country’s most formidable centrist Republican. Expect him to gets lots of mileage out of it in interviews over the next month.

Maybe Netroots Nation will snap him up for this year’s gala instead. Exit question: Was last night’s photo op with FLOTUS the last straw?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

no room.

Lost in Jersey on February 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Maybe they think he’s gay.

Mark1971 on February 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Sounds good to me. The fat Charlie Crist known as Chris Christie is dead to me, anyway.

bluegill on February 25, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Maybe they finally realize he can’t be trusted.

gophergirl on February 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Didn’t fat boy recently sit in some sort of “seat of honor” to Obluster’s right at a speaking event?

If Hillary doesn’t run for WH in ’16 is there a chance that Christie will?

predator on February 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Floor loading restrictions, fat boy.

crash72 on February 25, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Lost in Jersey on February 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Do they still have the Dirigible hangers in New Jersey?

arnold ziffel on February 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM

It’s a two-way.

They didn’t want to give him the opportunity to turn it down…

…and they didn’t want to take the chance he accepts, and decides to use it as his Sistah Soulja moment.

…which Enrico Caruso would exactly try and do.

Or, on the outside, it was a deal with Romney.

budfox on February 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Christie is a bloated turn coat. I lost what little respect I had for him when he threw his hissy fit over the Sandy Pork Bill and attacked the House for not serving up the fat.

jawkneemusic on February 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Oh come on! By 2016, Christie will be a democrat. Some of us have seen the pompous blowhard for the hack politician that he is from the very beginning. Christie lost republicans votes with his slobbering kissing up to Obama and even sat next to him at the Governor’s conference today. Stop trying to tell us that he is a conservative or even a RINO. The man is whoever he has to be to win an election.

fight like a girl on February 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM

jawkneemusic on February 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Same here but be even more angry at the house for passing the whole bloated package.

arnold ziffel on February 25, 2013 at 7:30 PM

The conservative movement’s bursting at the seams with people, I guess, after our smashing victory in 2012. They just can’t accommodate him this year.

Seriously. I don’t like the guy, but CPAC’s going to find itself all out of friends if they keep kicking people out.

KingGold on February 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Stoopid. We can always count on someone, somewhere in conservative leadership to bring it.

No room in the tent for gays or fat white RINOs?

Gay conservative are still conservatives, and while Christie is impure and unreliable he is immensely popular and has been known on occasion to speak in terms of economic realities.

Better to have them in the tent and deal with them on the inside.

Maybe they think he’s gay.

Mark1971 on February 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM

heh.

novaculus on February 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Despite being the keynote speaker at the Republican National Convention

You mean the keynote speech he made where he only mentioned Romney by name twice?

JPeterman on February 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Using the bad behavior of others to justify further bad behavior is classic childish thinking, and beneath you Allahpundit.

Your list of invited persons who aren’t conservative only makes me wish more people were left out. It ought not make you want to destroy standards altogether.

Nessuno on February 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM

The same Chris Christe who said he agreed with 98% of Andrew Cuomo? Any schmuck who thinks this NJ moron is a Republican has been drinking the water in NJ for far too long….

tphillip on February 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM

They were probably worried that he would be offended by (or try to eat) the obama-head-shaped urinal cakes in the men’s room (does Christie use the men’s room?).

Pork-Chop on February 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM

What was it that Fat boy said? He agrees with Cuomo 98% of the time?

LurkerDood on February 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Christie torpedoed Romney during his last week of the campaign.

He is Rotunda non grata.

portlandon on February 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM

arnold ziffel on February 25, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Indeed. Tired of Boehner caving. Dude needs to grow some balls.

jawkneemusic on February 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM

KingGold on February 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Wrong. There are many, many good conservatives out there. CPAC doesn’t need to water-down like the GOP has.

Jackalope on February 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Good for CPAC.

Pecos on February 25, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I honestly don’t care about CPAC anymore..it’s run by Grover Norquist and Suhali Khan..both wolf in sheep’s clothing..both with ties to the Muslim Brotherhood..yeah, don’t support CPAC

sadsushi on February 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Briar patch is maybe the right analogy for NJ, but not for national politics.

I look forward to seeing the hordes of moderate RINO grassroots that we’re always hearing about from the like of Kathleen Parker mobilize in 2016.

INC on February 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Christie’s a conservative like I’m a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 25, 2013 at 7:39 PM

They should have invited him, but I wonder if he would have accepted.

Cindy Munford on February 25, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Whole lot of hot air for something that may not be true. The WaPo article claims this information came from “someone close to CPAC who was not authorized to speak publicly.”

debg on February 25, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I wonder, does Gov. Cristie consider himself a conservative?

Cindy Munford on February 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I don’t care for CC at all. With that said, who cares what CPAC does or doesn’t do?

David in ATL on February 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Leverage his popularity? With whom? AP, you demonstrate why the GOP is fast becoming a minority party. I don’t give a rats behind what the liberals in NJ think of Christie and just because he has an R by his name doesn’t make him conservative or good for America. You need to stop drinking the liberal kool-aid that has given us the colossal failures of McCain and Romney, who both by the way, are more conservative than Christie. JEESH!

fight like a girl on February 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I have to say it. I simply cannot stand MM’s new wig with those way-too-long bangs. She’ll be fifty next year, and she looks like she’s trying to pretend she’s twenty-five.

INC on February 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM

He’s headed for a landslide reelection victory in a deep blue state…

Exactly. And there’s a reason.

It seems odd to chastise CPAC for not inviting a speaker and to use, as justification, the fellow’s immense popularity with Democrats.

IndieDogg on February 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM

one of the few members of the party with a national profile

Yeah. The profile of Alfred Hitchcock on the old TV show.

Aviator on February 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM

debg on February 25, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Hmmm, that’s usually Politico’s line. I love off the record sources. Could be the CPAC is wetting its finger to see which way the wind blows.

Cindy Munford on February 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Christie isn’t a conservative, he isn’t even a rino, he’s a democrat. Let him run in the primary against Hillary in 2016.

BeachBum on February 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Ummm.. Christie is not a conservative. I have problems with them excluding GOProud, but not this guy. He is a blowhard jerk and didn’t get an invitation precisely because he would have used that to condemn conservatives.

And AP, yes being centrist R works in NJ but to win a R primary you need to win in places like SC and IA. Don’t think that Rubio doesn’t already have the commercials created to destroy Krispy Kreme ala Orange Charlie. Krispy’s given so much good material over the last few years.

Illinidiva on February 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM

INC on February 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Glad you showed up. For your collection.

JPeterman on February 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM

INC on February 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM

MM?

annoyinglittletwerp on February 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Good point. Rescind Romney and Bush’s invitations.

Stoic Patriot on February 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Illinidiva on February 25, 2013 at 7:42 P

Nice seeing you over here…

annoyinglittletwerp on February 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Cindy – I’m more inclined to think the journalistas just want to create mischief. We’ve seen that game before, over and over again with Palin.

debg on February 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM

The buffet is on a tighter shoestring this year.

hawkdriver on February 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Was last night’s photo op with FLOTUS the last straw?

YUP

it cooked crist with his hug to dear leader

cmsinaz on February 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

And he also needs to hear the message that Republicans really didn’t enjoy his photo-op with Obama days before the election. Who gives a rats ass about a blue state like New Jersey? Or this pathetic phony Republican? The man is no advantage to the national party, unless the party plans on moving farther to the left. No thanks!

Rovin on February 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

CPAC: Chris Christie’s not invited this year

Hmmm, I wonder if it had anything to do with his stabbing Romney in the back and kissing Obama’s a$$ in front of the entire nation and world?

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Allah, do you think Christie will actually run in 2016? Rubio just needs to play his Obama hug like he did the then popular Crist.

Flapjackmaka on February 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Chris Creosote

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM

INC on February 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Glad you showed up. For your collection.

JPeterman on February 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Hmmm, Visit lovely Russian country side for natural beauty, stay for gulag… o_O

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM

He is Rotunda non grata.

portlandon on February 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM

THIS

cmsinaz on February 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM

You’re assuming Christie would accept if offered to attend CPAC? Come on.

Exit question: Was last night’s photo op with FLOTUS the last straw?

I was done with Christie a while ago. Hopefully, this will wake up the few remaining doubters.

conservative pilgrim on February 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM

KingGold. The R party has a strong bench and doesn’t need to pander to traitors like Christie. As a moderate, I’m disgusted by his behavior during the election. I’m fine with moderates, not self serving jerks. In fact, I think that we should make a pact to not vote for Christie even if he gets through the primaries. I know I will not be voting for him for President even in the general. Who is with me on this!!

Illinidiva on February 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I have a problem with Christie because he has one with the Second Amendment. If he doesn’t like that one, what else doesn’t he like?

southsideironworks on February 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM

It’s almost like Christie came up with the idea himself, no?

Curtiss on February 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM

debg on February 25, 2013 at 7:46 PM

True, but I’d be willing to bet that they don’t feel the same about those two governors.

Cindy Munford on February 25, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I guess we should make fun of his weight since he’s white and doesn’t have bangs. Ha, fatty!

Mmm...Burritos on February 25, 2013 at 7:52 PM

southsideironworks on February 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Well, he certainly likes him some Muslims…

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 7:52 PM

INC on February 25, 2013 at 7:41 PM

All she needs is a pair of Mary Jane’s and a lollipop.
Ugh.

herm2416 on February 25, 2013 at 7:54 PM

southsideironworks on February 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Fat free yogurt, carrots, celery and lentils.

arnold ziffel on February 25, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Fatass Rino.

Key West Reader on February 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Good, Christie has revealed his true convictions. Go with the Obama’s you blew it.

who won on February 25, 2013 at 7:58 PM

JPeterman on February 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Hey, those are great. Thank you!

I saw that those are all before the Iron Curtain was locked down after WWII. I’d like to know how long they kept up the sham, and what they did after Khrushchev’s 1956 Secret Speech exposing Stalin.

INC on February 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Good catch, twerp. I meant to type MO.

I abbreviate Michelle Malkin that way so often that my fingers went to auto-pilot!

INC on February 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Glad you showed up. For your collection.

JPeterman on February 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Apparently the Nazis took em up on the offer a few years later.

arnold ziffel on February 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM

arnold ziffel on February 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM

They found conditions less than congenial!

INC on February 25, 2013 at 8:03 PM

INC on February 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I was gonna say that MM’s a day older than I am…and we ain’t gonna be 50. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on February 25, 2013 at 8:05 PM

INC on February 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I just started reading “Iron Curtain/1944 thru 1956″ by Annie Applebaum, so I’ll let you know. Go take a look at Amazon.

Sorry for the OT.

JPeterman on February 25, 2013 at 8:07 PM

JPeterman on February 25, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Thanks! I’d love to know what she has to say.

INC on February 25, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Sorry for the OT.

JPeterman on February 25, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Finished reading that about six weeks ago. Very informative about that era, and there are some similarities in tactics to what some orgs are trying here.

On another topic: Did you ever get your horse transportation problem resolved?

predator on February 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

KingGold on February 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Actually, the Conservative movement is growing. But the number of Conservatives who still are Institutional Republicans is small and getting smaller. Between Conservatives leaving because the Republicans are becoming ersatz Democrats, and the war waged by the Institutional “leadership” on anyone in the party more Conservative than Leon Trotsky; they will soon achieve their dream of an absolutely content-free Republican party.

Sadly for their fantasies, by that time Christie will be a Democrat, and they will probably end up nominating Hagel … if there are elections in 2016.

Subotai Bahadur on February 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Subotai Bahadur on February 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Do you have the tiniest bit of polling, election data, or demographic figures to back up what you’re saying, or would you prefer to continue wishcasting to the TruCon echo chamber?

KingGold on February 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Why would they invite him. He would either talk about himself or be the bully that he is and start lecturing the true conservatives. I’m glad they excluded him.

Rose on February 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM

JPeterman on February 25, 2013 at 8:07 PM
predator on February 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I just checked our library system. It has that book and one she previously wrote, Gulag: A History. There must be a conservative librarian working to subvert our Lefist-leaning county.

INC on February 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM

He’s a Democrat in all but name. He sabotaged Romney at the last moment. He identifies with extreme progressive Dems like Cuomo. WHY exactly would he be welcome or needed at CPAC?

blackgriffin on February 25, 2013 at 8:24 PM

By the way, what is the point of CPAC? Is it just a glorified pep rally for Repubs?

blackgriffin on February 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM

On another topic: Did you ever get your horse transportation problem resolved?

predator on February 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Not yet, I’m staying in Utah throughout the upcoming summer. I really like it here.

JPeterman on February 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Pork-Chop on February 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I cant stop LOLing.

bazil9 on February 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM

INC on February 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM

“Gulag” is supposed to be excellent and I’m hoping she’ll do a followup to Iron Curtain after 1956 and the Secret Speech.

JPeterman on February 25, 2013 at 8:29 PM

JPeterman on February 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Just wondering. I’m going to Kentucky in about six weeks (Keeneland). I thought I might try to rub elbows with some owners and see if I can get any tips from one of them.

predator on February 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM

predator on February 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Rub those elbows for me, it’s appreciated.

JPeterman on February 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I think that has established his Democratic creds tho:-)

As they say, actions speak louder than words. Also, having him at the Republican Convention was probably enough.

I’ve never found any Conservative positions he supports, so no he shouldn’t have been invited to CPAC in my opinion.

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Christie’s next step is to turn orange
The final move before he joins Charlie Crist as a Democrat

philw1776 on February 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Christie’s a conservative like I’m a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 25, 2013 at 7:39 PM

…WHA…????…WHAT????….YOU’RE NOT?????
…(oh yeah..the bunny suit!)

KOOLAID2 on February 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I’ve been thinking about history a lot, lately. Do you know what’s been coming up? The means that always develops to remove entrenched power. Time and again – it’s not Democracy that does it. I’ve been reading a lot about the French Revolution. They were WRONG about SO MANY things – but they were onto some interesting science facts.

Take decapitation by Guillotine, for example.

It was discovered that human beings could actually still see and hear AFTER a Guillotine decapitated them. This lead to them holding up the executed person’s head and show their decapitated body to them.

Kind of grisly – but really, really interesting…….from a Science perspective.

I have no idea why this comes to mind right now…..but it’s what I’ve been thinking about lately for soem reason.

williamg on February 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM

How would a Christie presidency differ from a Shrillery presidency (besides their obvious preferences for donuts vs. booze, respectively)?

Rational Thought on February 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Chris Creosote

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I think you like stirring it up, LOL

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Tent not big enough for Christie Creme.

PaddyORyan on February 25, 2013 at 8:52 PM

It’s called polytiks!

Sherman1864 on February 25, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Nessuno on February 25, 2013 at 7:33 PM

S. D. on February 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM

When you start dinging dongs you gotta start somewhere. A good start I say GOP needs to get rid of the dead weight.

rik on February 25, 2013 at 9:02 PM

He has already started gun grabbing efforts. This guy is not a conservative, he does not care about The Constitution and civil liberties. He is all about himself and an ever-growing government.

pat on February 25, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Too much RINO, what, with Jeb Bush’s fat head in attendance.
CPAC needs to grow a pair and make the Rinos pee themselves and leave.
C stands for conservative, not the other c word.

AllahsNippleHair on February 25, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Maybe it will keep Ann Coulter home?

ButterflyDragon on February 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM

What Ut oh? Christie is at least as liberal as Romney and we are FED UP with these GOPe RINO’s!

Maybe we should try to get Arlen Specter back too … WAIT!

DannoJyd on February 25, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I understand wanting to punish him for slobbering all over Obama after Sandy,

That’s all I need to know. YMMV.

kim roy on February 25, 2013 at 9:07 PM

16,000 customers without power in OK. National Guard out in Texas to help motorists.

So many States are affected.

bluefox on February 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Illinidiva on February 25, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Ummm….neither is Rubio, what with his Amnesty aspirations and maverick-like stink.

Who’s Buttgill loving on this cycle?

AllahsNippleHair on February 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I have my issues with him just like you do, but c’mon.

C’mon, you would invite Andrew Cuomo?

Ronnie on February 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM

C’mon, you would invite Andrew Cuomo?

Ronnie on February 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM

98% Cuomo just to be fair.

VegasRick on February 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM