Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on February 24, 2013 by Allahpundit

The automatic budget cuts set to take hold this week were roundly condemned Sunday as governors, lawmakers and administration officials hoped for a deal to stave off the $85 billion reduction in government services.

Suggestions intended to instill a spirit of compromise included bringing all sides to the bargaining table, where they could act like “adults, a presidential summit at Camp David and even a field trip to watch “Lincoln.”…

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., called … defense cuts “unconscionable” and urged Obama to call lawmakers to the White House or the presidential retreat of Camp David for a last-minute budget summit.

“I won’t put all the blame all on the president of the United States. But the president leads. The president should be calling us over somewhere — Camp David, the White House, somewhere — and us sitting down and trying to avert these cuts,” McCain said.

***

Head Start and programs for children with parents in the military could also be hurt by the $85 billion in sequester cuts, Duncan said on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

“We don’t have any ability with dumb cuts like this to figure out what the right thing to do is,” Duncan said. “It just means a lot more children will not get the kinds of opportunities and services they need.”…

“That’s where I think we should be spending our time, is talking about how we reduce gun violence. That’s the productive use of our time,” Duncan said. “Spending time talking about stupid issues like this in Congress doesn’t make sense.”

***

“We are just saying — as you identify the federal cuts and savings — give us flexibility to make the cuts where they will do the least harm to our citizens,” said Gov. Mary Fallin of Oklahoma, a Republican and the vice chairwoman of the association. “Don’t balance the federal budget on the backs of state governments.”

Gov. Jack Markell of Delaware, a Democrat and the chairman of the association, said: “Deficit reduction should not be accomplished simply by shifting costs from the federal government to the states or by imposing unfunded mandates. States should be given increased flexibility to create efficiencies and to achieve results.”…

Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, a Republican, said Congress should be “more strategic” in making cuts.

“I think there should be limited government, but I don’t like random changes,” Mr. Walker said.

***

“There will be [an] impact on national security, there is no doubt. And I think there’s some misnomers. So it’s really only 2 cents on the dollar over the whole federal budget, but they’ve scrunched that down into seven months and highlighted, or at least put most of the burden on the Defense Department. So that is going to have an impact. That’s a 13 percent cut,” Rogers said.

Rogers went on to argue for giving the departments responsible for making the cuts “flexibility” to ensure the cuts are made wisely as opposed to indiscriminately.

“There’s a big difference from a sailor on the Eisenhower out in the Mediterranean and the travel coordinator at the EPA. You can’t treat them the same. And the way this is structured it treats everyone the same. Can’t do that,” Rogers said. “We have intelligence operations that could get slowed down or stopped. That’s a problem.”

***

Obama has not resorted to full finger-shaking, red-faced exhorting. Why not? Here are three reasons in order of significance:

1. Any deal that comes from the White House will not pass muster with House Republicans. So every effort must start and end in Congress. That is an incontrovertible political truth.

2. There are no cage-rattlers at the White House. Rahm Emanuel was a cage-rattler. He was capable of making ripples that could tip dynamics and make the incontrovertible… controvertible. The White House today is much quieter. There are no huge, saber-teeth personalities.

3. The agencies are doing the job for him. From flight delays to FBI furloughs, entities that are more trusted than politicians are giving the lowdown to the media, which is repeating it. The projected misery is what will influence public opinion, which, in turn, might influence Congress.

***

“All the momentum in House Republican circles now is for keeping the sequester as is. I don’t see how any sequester replacement bill could get any oxygen for the foreseeable future,” one Republican aide said…

[I]n meetings with rank-and-file members and around the leadership table early in this Congress, House Republican leaders floated the idea of putting another such bill on the floor. What they found is that members had no appetite to vote on such a bill again, according to one GOP leadership aide.

“The conference feels that we’ve made our point by passing the sequester replacement act two times,” the aide said.

***

“The good news is, the world doesn’t end March 2. The bad news is, the world doesn’t end March 2,” said Emily Holubowich, a Washington health-care lobbyist who leads a coalition of 3,000 nonprofit groups fighting the cuts. “The worst-case scenario for us is the sequester hits and nothing bad really happens. And Republicans say: See, that wasn’t so bad.”…

“It would be a big problem for the White House if the sequester came and went and nobody really noticed anything. Then people will start saying, ‘Well, maybe we can cut spending,” said John H. Makin, a resident scholar at the conservative American Enterprise Institute who penned a recent Wall Street Journal piece titled “Learning to Love the Sequester.”

***

Via NRO.

***

***

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

The President cares for no one but himself. Trust you me. Met him in ’10. In a foreign land. Both Clinton and GWB were a million times more Presidential.

tommy71 on February 25, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:18 AM

He’s trying as hard as he can but them repubs don’t bend over fast enough.

arnold ziffel on February 25, 2013 at 12:22 AM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM

You are welcomed to use them as you like. I am. ; )

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM

An idiot wrote this article

The second chapter of the Obama presidency begins exactly a century and a half after Abraham Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation took effect. Much like the proclamation, the Obama presidency has been a study in understated and reluctant radicalism. The proclamation freed no slaves in those lands loyal to Lincoln and was issued only after more-moderate means failed. Yet Lincoln’s order transformed a war for union into a war for abolition, and in so doing put the country on a road to broad citizenship for its pariah class. The 2012 election ranks among the greatest milestones along that road. We are not yet in the era of post-racialism. But the time of “black everything” is surely upon us.

Schadenfreude on February 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Driving…..and eating. *crunch, munch*

tommy71 on February 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 12:21 AM

You are welcomed to use them as you like. I am. ; )

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Care to throw up a link to the ENTIRE collection?

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM

…thanks bud!…I must have glanced past that one yesterday!…we need shots like that with JugEars wearing his golfing outfits… instead of a suit!
…or JugEars firing his “shotgun” for some of the appropriate frames!

KOOLAID2 on February 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Send those three links to everyone you know. HeIIfire send it to people you don’t know. ; )

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:26 AM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Lol! ^^^

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Bmore, his back to the unempl. line is excellent thinking. You da man!

Schadenfreude on February 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Yes, we couldn’t possibly go back to 2011 budget, that would mean we have to “reduce” the budget 1.4%…a task impossible to even imagine for a bureaucrat, let alone attempt.

right2bright on February 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I think my nom is still linked to one of them.

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Schadenfreude on February 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I have a feeling finding suitable images my be problematic. We’ll see. ; )

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Koolaid, it’s in the third dot, in this comment

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Schadenfreude on February 25, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Catch you later, guys.

tommy71 on February 25, 2013 at 12:30 AM

KOOLAID2 on February 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM

…for another series…for what Bmore has done so far, superimposing the impeccable Obama over all the misery, in the Starnesvilles he’s created/sustaines, is magnificent. The contrast is striking.

Schadenfreude on February 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Bmore, search for “unemployment lines photos” – plenty of available.

Schadenfreude on February 25, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Bmore, search for “youth unemployment lines photos”.

Schadenfreude on February 25, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Okay here’s the deal, I’m going upstairs to kick back, I will be on the ipad thingy. I can’t link tunes from there so I am going to link my goodnight tune now. I’m not going to sleep yet. I just have to link ahead of time.

Good Night All.

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Obama also needs dummies like Hagel and Kerry, Biden, to surround him. It makes him appear ‘intelligent’.

Schadenfreude on February 25, 2013 at 12:15 AM

…well it’s not working for me!

KOOLAID2 on February 25, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Jugears thinks it makes him look smart when he surrounds himself with a band of idiots, thing is, he isn’t smart enough to stand out among that band of misfits, so it looks like a bunch of Keystone Kops, except that the Keystone Kops were funny; nothing at all amusing about the Obama Follies

AZfederalist on February 25, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on February 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Time to sign out for the night. Good night all

AZfederalist on February 25, 2013 at 12:45 AM

AZfederalist on February 25, 2013 at 12:39 AM

You make a very good point..:)

Dire Straits on February 25, 2013 at 12:45 AM

BMore is on the iPad thingy. I’m on the Android thingy searching for blocks so Axe can add them to his compilation.

SparkPlug on February 25, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Good evening Dire! Have you had an opportunity to look at ay of the photoshops I’ve been doing? If yes, what do you think? ; )

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Good Night AZ, Sleep Well.

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Very nice..:)

Dire Straits on February 25, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Dear Barry,
Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we first practice to deceive.

RdLake on February 25, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Koolaid, it’s in the third dot, in this comment

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Schadenfreude on February 25, 2013 at 12:29 AM

…I just discovered that before you posted it Schad!…I must be a progressive idiot!… all this time!
…I would click onto Bmores name when it showed in blue…but never knew what the fluke he was doing when he would come on with

Bmore
…I just accidentally went over the dot and the hand with the middle finger showed me there could be a link!…I feel like a progressive putz!…this site has been so weird the last couple of weeks…I wasn’t paying attention!

KOOLAID2 on February 25, 2013 at 12:55 AM

SparkPlug on February 25, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Meanwhile..

I was born in a wagon of a traveling show
My momma used to dance for the money they’d throw..:)

Dire Straits on February 25, 2013 at 12:55 AM

It all seems to load fine on this iPad thingy. I don’t have a phone to check it on. SparkPlug, do you have a phone to check the three sites on?

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Sophie Ro ‏@SophieRo3

Job opening for Obama: Raul Castro announces retirement in 5 years. Obama para “el Presidente para la vida!”

Sophie Ro ‏@SophieRo3

#NextMichelleObamaAppearance Reprising Norma Shearer’s performance in Marie Antoinette with alt end. She’s proclaimed: La Reine pour la vie

Resist We Much on February 25, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Resist We Much on February 25, 2013 at 1:08 AM

rofl..Nice post..:)

Dire Straits on February 25, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Sophie Ro ‏@SophieRo3

Raul Castro 2 retire in 5 years. #ObamaAfterRaul #ObamaDespuésRaul Golf weather & UHC!

Resist We Much on February 25, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Shallow silly fool. Propped up by the MSM.

pat on February 25, 2013 at 1:14 AM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Lol! ^^^

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Images added to music, just waiting for the video to finish compiling, then I’ll up load it to youtube and post a link.

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 1:37 AM

KOOLAID2 on February 25, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Ok, here it is (I think)… Help your favorite former Rock Star be a Rock Star again, and make fun of Barky McDogeater at the same time, share this video with everyone you can think of…

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 1:45 AM

KOOLAID2 on February 25, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Very good point!..:)

Dire Straits on February 25, 2013 at 1:56 AM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 1:45 AM

…nice job!…good work!

KOOLAID2 on February 25, 2013 at 1:57 AM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Pretty good, tech question, I watched full screen on the iPad thingy. Some frames are full across some are not. I liked them best full across even if it crops them. One other question, would it be worth looking at a quick but soft dissolve between frames. What do you edit on. I use final cut.

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 1:59 AM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 1:45 AM

…nice job!…good work!

KOOLAID2 on February 25, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Thank you Bmore’s pictures kind of seemed to fit the lyrics of the song… ;)

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 2:00 AM

.=?

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Windows movie maker. I can check into that, it has functions like that I just didn’t think to do it.

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 2:01 AM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 2:01 AM

It’s fun I’d play around with it, tweak it a bit, very cool. ; )

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Do you wanna know what does predate the iPad?

A Democratic budget passed by the Senate!

iPad introduced:

3 April 2010

Last budget passed by the Democratic-controlled Senate:

9 April 2009

Apple is on its FOURTH edition of the iPad, along with the iPad mini, since 2010.

Read and Dem Sens are on their ZEROTH budget since 2009.

Resist We Much on February 25, 2013 at 2:11 AM

They could cut $85 billion a month every year for fifteen years and it still wouldn’t wipe out the debt…assuming my math is correct.

I’m still betting the GOP will cave in and Boehner will yet again emulate Neville Chamberlain with some kind of paper in his hand in front of the cameras saying it’s actually a victory for the American people, Conservatism, and the Republican Party.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 25, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Dire Straits on February 25, 2013 at 12:55 AM

My momma used to dance for the money they’d throw
Poppa would do whatever he could
Preach a little gospel
Sell a couple bottles of doctor good

SparkPlug on February 25, 2013 at 2:39 AM

I forgot to add emphasis and (:

SparkPlug on February 25, 2013 at 2:40 AM

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 2:01 AM

It’s fun I’d play around with it, tweak it a bit, very cool. ; )

Bmore on February 25, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Ok, played around with it, deleted the previous version and here is the new improved version.

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 3:05 AM

I missed all the action. Oh well the morning crew will be here to keep the ball rolling.

SparkPlug on February 25, 2013 at 3:07 AM

I tweaked it. Now it’s tweaked. The big red button is back.

SparkPlug on February 25, 2013 at 3:10 AM

SWalker could be the next governor if he runs a good campaign.

SparkPlug on February 25, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Ok, I’m out for the night…

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 3:12 AM

SWalker could be the next governor if he runs a good campaign.

SparkPlug on February 25, 2013 at 3:12 AM

What??? Oh heII I’m done for then… O_O

SWalker on February 25, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Dire has agreed to fund Walkers entire campaign.

SparkPlug on February 25, 2013 at 3:16 AM

I miss B9. Hope she stops by in the AM.

SparkPlug on February 25, 2013 at 3:18 AM

I’m lost without B9. Maybe 4grace will pop in for a visit.

SparkPlug on February 25, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Zippety zap

tommy71 on February 25, 2013 at 4:51 AM

Its all Booooooshs fault. Oh wait…….

tommy71 on February 25, 2013 at 4:52 AM

Good Monday Morning!

the sky is falling will be the meme of the week, thanks to the lsm…

cmsinaz on February 25, 2013 at 5:41 AM

The only things I will watch on TV anymore are HGTV (except when they have on those idiot preening teeny boppers with the stupid new shows… The channel should stick to House Hunters and Love it or List it), certain shows on Fox News, and anything where Ted Cruz is appearing. I don’t know how you people are able to watch some of this other garbage.

bluegill on February 25, 2013 at 5:50 AM

Hi morning people such as cmsinaz.

SparkPlug on February 25, 2013 at 5:51 AM

man they are going to be replaying michelle obama presenting the best picture award ad nauseaum…

cmsinaz on February 25, 2013 at 5:53 AM

SparkPlug on February 25, 2013 at 5:51 AM

morning Spark….

morning bg

cmsinaz on February 25, 2013 at 5:54 AM

ahhh yes, morning joe starts off with michelle obama…and so it begins….

blech

cmsinaz on February 25, 2013 at 6:01 AM

DOE, budget 2013…27.2 Billion
DO Education budget 2013 69.8 Billion
A total of 97 billion, what’s all the crying about? DOE has not done their job for over thirty years.
Our education stinks when we sit at the mid twenties world wide when we should be in the top of the class.

mixplix on February 25, 2013 at 6:10 AM

mika defending dear leader he has a plan…the gop has no plan according to her…

ummm they actually passed 2 bills tool

cmsinaz on February 25, 2013 at 6:21 AM

DOE, budget 2013…27.2 Billion
DO Education budget 2013 69.8 Billion

mixplix on February 25, 2013 at 6:10 AM

And on Fox News this morning they reported the Feds are saying 40,000 teachers may lose their jobs. What utter poppycock.

In the first place, the DOE doesn’t employ even one classroom teacher, and even if they did the budget cuts they’re talking about for the entire Federal government wouldn’t allow for that number anyway, figuring 2.4% in cuts and an average salary per teacher of 50K a year (1.68 billion lost @2.4 per cent vs. 2 billion lost to not fund 40,000 teachers).

It’s even less than 40,000 given that payscale.com reports the average salaries to be around $45,000 roughly.

There’s no way that the total of some 3.3 million teachers are completely funded by DOE, so if the DOE lost their entire budget, they’d be saying 3.3 million teachers (all) would be laid off I suppose.

So, if the DOE does have to cut, they will cut funding for school boards rather than elsewhere? What are they spending all that money on that’s left over after what they dole out for salary distribution?

Lastly, the DOE should have nothing to do with teachers’ salaries anyway…nor should the state. That’s up to the individual school boards, or should be.

In short, I think the Feds/DOE are lying or if they are forced to cut will withdraw money for school boards, or will say that any such money can’t be used towards salaries just to make the GOP look bad in all this.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 25, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Mornin’, y’all! There is a breath of fresh air up on Capitol Hill. My take.

kingsjester on February 25, 2013 at 6:54 AM

kingsjester on February 25, 2013 at 6:54 AM

indeed KJ

morning :)

cmsinaz on February 25, 2013 at 6:59 AM

I KNEW it! Just had a feeling they would do something like this:

…so Mooch presented the Best Picture award from the White House!…first time ever an Oscar was presented by a President or first lady…Ben Asskiss was overwhelmed! KOOLAID2 on February 25, 2013 at 1:45 AM

indypat on February 25, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Crazy Obamas. Miguel had to stuff her face where not required. And its demeaning that the President allowed it. It further lowers the dignity of the office of the Presidency. Shallow, American Idol sort of stuff. There was a time when the Presidency was a serious and sombre position. Leader of the free world, the most powerful man in the world. Now, its more like a parody. Saddening…..

tommy71 on February 25, 2013 at 7:27 AM

When Biden last week made favorable mention of Argo, I cynically wondered for a brief instant if it was the ‘official’ White House choice and be picked.

Seems I was more right than I knew. The Obamas are into everything anymore, and the overexposure is killing me. As Charlie Brown would put it, “AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!”

Liam on February 25, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Wow..
Obama is still wiping his forehead..

Electrongod on February 25, 2013 at 7:33 AM

kingsjester on February 25, 2013 at 6:54 AM

They say that one man can make a difference. Well, let’s see if that’s true anymore.

Cleombrotus on February 25, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I heard that the Obama’s couldn’t stay away from the Oscars…

hence the “meh” attitude..

Electrongod on February 25, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 25, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Funding of schools is a local/state matter. Not one dime should be going to putting unemployable idiots with a degree in “education” into the socialist incubators and dropout factories laughingly called public schools.

Seriously, the issue isn’t if 400,000 teachers (I use the term loosely) will lose their job. The issue is why were we paying for them in the first place. Because teachers on the payroll means money to the teachers union. Throw them all off the public dole and let the states figure out if they are really needed.

Happy Nomad on February 25, 2013 at 7:36 AM

mika defending dear leader he has a plan…the gop has no plan according to her…

ummm they actually passed 2 bills tool

cmsinaz on February 25, 2013 at 6:21 AM

The rat-eared bastard’s plan is clear. Fearmongering. All this week, I am sure, we will be hearing pre-arranged messages of planes dropping out of the sky, miles-long traffic jams to get across the border, schools without teachers, fire stations without first responders, etc.

This is all to be expected from a lazy sociopath of low intelligence. All I care about this week is assurances that the GOP is holding fast to both doing nothing outside of normal order (i.e. the orange RINO doesn’t unilaterally cut a deal with the enemy) and that any such resolution deals with real cuts without further tax increases beyong the Obama tax hike of January.

Happy Nomad on February 25, 2013 at 7:41 AM

tommy71 on February 25, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Liam on February 25, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Seems there is NO place they won’t inject themselves, including church, grocery store, doctor’s office, bank, school, every holiday and celebration. Must be the “fundamental transformation” Barky boasted about.

indypat on February 25, 2013 at 7:50 AM

On a brighter note..
Second amendment rally at my state capital Saturday..
Open carry in the capitol..

And no one was injured..

The horror…

Electrongod on February 25, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Maybe I just don’t understand economics but why is this even a topic for discussion, this whole “sequester” thing, when we have an entire economy that is set to implode in the very near future thanks to Obama’s unsustainable deficits?

Cleombrotus on February 25, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Electrongod on February 25, 2013 at 7:53 AM

How many were there?

Cleombrotus on February 25, 2013 at 7:59 AM

On a brighter note..
Second amendment rally at my state capital Saturday..
Open carry in the capitol..

And no one was injured..

The horror…

Electrongod on February 25, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Probably the safest place in the state for the time it was going on.

That’s the fundamental problem I have with “gun free zones” it only advertises where the most vulnerable are located. Let the potential harm-doer have to guess.

Happy Nomad on February 25, 2013 at 7:59 AM

How many were there?

Cleombrotus on February 25, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Probably a couple hundred. Hard to tell since not all could be in the capital.

Electrongod on February 25, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Cleombrotus on February 25, 2013 at 7:58 AM

The problem is that the only (I repeat only) solution to the deficit is an open secret in Washington- cuts to entitlement programs. But the rat-eared sociopath and his party do not want to be the ones to pull the trigger on such cuts. He who gets elected by worthless parasites die at the ballot box when the free stuff is taken away. The Dems want the GOP to be the ones to come up with the entitlement cuts so that they can scapegoat the Republicans to the angry parasites.

Happy Nomad on February 25, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Probably a couple hundred. Hard to tell since not all could be in the capital.

Electrongod on February 25, 2013 at 8:01 AM

The Second Amendment rally they held in Annapolis a few weeks ago was huge. The number attending was in the thousands. The WaPo in true liberal fashion made it sound like a few bitter clingers had driven down from the mountains in their pick-up trucks.

Happy Nomad on February 25, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Happy Nomad on February 25, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I don’t watch the news programs but are the Republicans making this case ANYWHERE at all?

Cleombrotus on February 25, 2013 at 8:06 AM

The only thing I want to hear from anyone in D.C. is an across the board 10% cut in every Federal agency’s budget starting yesterday. Then we’ll start talking actual cuts. Idiots all.

D-fusit on February 25, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I miss you too SparkPlug.
Working hard for our retirement.
Have to keep you in nice shoes and
boxers. ;)

bazil9 on February 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM

A budget isn’t necessary. Budget resolutions don’t have the force of law. Appropriations bills are where spending is allocated. While the budget provides a long-term framework for spending and revenue, lawmakers don’t actually have to pass one. While the Senate is legally required to pass a budget, there is no penalty for not doing so.

“The fact is that you don’t need a budget,” Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said last year. “We can adopt appropriation bills and we can adopt authorization policies without a budget.”

bazil9 on February 25, 2013 at 8:22 AM

* Democrats don’t want the blame. In the Senate, proposing a budget gives Republicans an opportunity to attach amendments that would put political pressure on moderate and conservative Democrats, many of whom already have an eye on their re-election races in 2014. Budget deal-making has always been difficult and budgets almost never come in on time; increasing partisanship has made it even worse. By not introducing a budget, Democrats can keep their names off plans that detail high spending and high deficits. Meanwhile, they can attack House Republicans for their controversial budget plans.

bazil9 on February 25, 2013 at 8:22 AM

McCain wants to avoid budget cuts? My my, he’s devolving again. I suspect by “S”-day he’ll gather a gang of (?) to save the nation by capitulation in he name of fiscal sanity or somthing. (Tacked onto that will be a pro-Obama gun bill and amnesty just to fulfill his moral abligations)

Don L on February 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Where oh where do I hear the caving, complicit right saying the simplest things like, Obama’s great plan is wrong and dangerous because….

Even when he hands them victory, they fumble the opportunity.
But, it is not by ineptness, but complicity that they act so imbecilic. (Can we still use that word?)

Don L on February 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM

The Party of Won’t-who is it?

Won’t tell the truth
Wont pass a budget
Wont cut spending
Wont protect our borders
Wont let us be energy independent
Wont stop regs that kill that strangle
Wont stand up for your constitutional rights
Wont let you have choices (unless its your womb)
Wont get out of your paycheck
Wont make you show an ID to vote

And we can go on.

bazil9 on February 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Woodward: White House Invented the Sequester

Lather, rinse, repeat

Fallon on February 25, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Don L on February 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM

He makes me wanna break something.

bazil9 on February 25, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Woodward: White House Invented the Sequester

Lather, rinse, repeat…

Fallon on February 25, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Yes..isnt that amazing?
Now that it has come time to pay the piper-
AHHHHHHHHHHHH you R’s are coming with a meat cleaver-
your going to hurt the children-How dare you!
Senate hasn’t passed a budget since 09..no biggie.
not optimal, but eh…
Lets talk about guns,gays and other shiny things…
keep your eyes off the deficit, unemployment,inflation,
rising gas, and the fun of Obamacare heading your way.

bazil9 on February 25, 2013 at 8:50 AM