Open thread: The 85th annual Academy Awards

posted at 6:31 pm on February 24, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

My big beef with the Oscars has always been that they are annual. That fact in and of itself seems to assume that Hollywood comes up with sincerely great and timeless motion pictures every single year — which, in what is probably my over-curmudgeonly and certainly non-expert opinion, they don’t.

However, I also think that conservatives as a whole have a tendency to ignore popular culture at their own very great peril, and I’ve heard that there are some genuinely neat flicks up for the big nomination this year.

The Oscars rolled out the red carpet on Sunday for the movie industry’s biggest night, with Iran hostage drama “Argo” and presidential drama “Lincoln” in a tight race for Best Picture.

With several contests too close to call, a slate of big box office hits to celebrate and an unpredictable first-time host in Seth MacFarlane, movie fans could be in for surprises when the curtain rises on the 85th annual Academy Awards.

Before the festivities begin, nominees including Jennifer Lawrence, Hugh Jackman, Sally Field, Jessica Chastain, British singer Adele and “Argo” producer George Clooney, along with performers Barbra Streisand and Jennifer Hudson will parade along the 500-ft long (152 meter) red carpet before dozens of photographers and camera crews.

I haven’t seen either of the two top picks, but I heard “Lincoln” got generally very good reviews and Ed liked “Argo”; here’s the full list of nominees via ABC:

Best Picture:

“Beasts of the Southern Wild”

“Silver Linings Playbook”

“Zero Dark Thirty”

“Lincoln”

“Les Miserables”

“Life of Pi”

“Amour”

“Django Unchained”

“Argo”

I believe the official festivities start at 7 PM on ABC — so if you want to comment on the fashions, discuss the merits of the individual films, or just heckle the heck out of the pomp and pageantry of the entire spectacle, have at it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Sorry, but “major earthquake” is the kindest thing I can come up with.

SickofLibs on February 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM

The ones I’ve seen:

Silver Linings Playbook. Ok, Jennifer Lawrence is worth watching in this one.

Lincoln. Ok. A bit tedious at times.

Beasts Of The Southern Wild. Meh.

Argo. Meh. Overrated.

Zero Dark Thirty. Excellent. The enhanced interrogation scenes could have been much shorter and this would be a serious contender.

IMHO, The Hunger Games was a more significant film than half the ones up for best picture.

MichaelGabriel on February 24, 2013 at 8:08 PM

On Sunday night the Hollywood Nerd Herd will venture out from their gilded perches and palaces. The Hollywood Nerd Herd will pass through the streets of the unwashed masses, warily stopping to modestly pose for photographers, while they humbly and reluctantly accept the clapping and cheering of their peasant fans who like most peasants (the same peasants who finance these lavish lifestyles by purchasing movie tickets and paying each month for cable tv) simply want a glimpse or nod of acknowledgement from these exclusive idols. These Superstars of The Hollywood Nerd Herd are role models, they are pillars of stability, who are possessed with grace, and shining examples of moral purity and obvious superiority.

For one brief shining moment this evening the Hollywood Nerd Herd will cease lecturing us peasants about imaginary global warming, about paying our (but not their) fair share of taxes, about turning in our (but not their) guns (doesn’t Brangelina and others have armed security?). Instead of their usual soapbox lectures they will gather in an orgy of self congratulation. Tonights bacchanal ritual of praise and adulation will climax and hit the high spot by winning the ultimate coveted graven image – The Oscar.

idesign on February 24, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I’ve boycotted the Oscars since Huntz Hall never received one.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 24, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Watching the Red Carpet with my In-Laws and I am wearing Nike and UnderArmour. Almost bedtime!

Sparty on February 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Pretty dresses

Yeah it’s a chick thing

cmsinaz on February 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Yup. My girls love the movies. It’s fun to watch the fashions. Mindless entertainment nothing more.

Fallon on February 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Yes, yes, Hollywood sucks.

But still: Zero Dark Thirty.

Robert_Paulson on February 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM

This is an extremely interesting controversy, to me. I get the not supporting those who use the money to support liberal causes but for myself, never evaluated whether a movie deserved to be supported by my $ (and ever since I was a teenager I’ve done advance checking on almost every movie I’ve seen) based on its stars and their political opinions.

My dollars were given based on two things (as far as I could determine these two things in advance): 1) whether it was a well-made, entertaining or at least moving film, and 2) whether, whatever was shown on screen depicted the truth about the world (meaning, at root, were good things shown as good and evil ones evil and not vice versa). Flannery O’Connor wrote a wonderful essay on this that drives *both* the “don’t show me a swear word or a immoral action on film” people, and the (mostly liberal) moral relativists, nuts.

Since these stars/directors etc have chosen to make movies, it seemed to me better to try to reward their good filmmaking and withhold my money from the bad. And if others were likeminded we could starve the beast so to speak if someone consistently insisted on spreading moral or just human idiocy in their movies.

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM

This is a great comment, so I wanted to highlight it on page 2 as well.
Part of the world view for most conservatives is that we believe certain things are timeless & can build up good stories. A lot of liberals probably know that in spite of themselves. They make and release movies they like, but are terrible and lose money. But if they put good stories on film, many conservatives might like them.
In the late 90s, I read a couple of articles by Brian Godawa, a filmmaker that isn’t liberal, about how to recognize a good story. They were good reading for me, to help understand why some movies are good or great, and why others are trash.

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 8:14 PM

MichaelGabriel on February 24, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I watched The Hunger Games this week – I liked it.

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Teh Ghey…!

Seven Percent Solution on February 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Meh. I’m a documentary dork.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 24, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Me too. What’s your favorite album? It’s tough to pick for me but if I had to…mostly because of this long-but-worth-every-second gem and this moving one.

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Well … I can’t really pick a favorite. And I’m not sure how to describe this, since I said they were one of my favorite bands, but I will say that I’m the type who pays much more attention to the music first than to lyrics, so while I was blown away listening to the arrangement and chords to “Time Out of Mind” when it was first released, I was really dismayed to learn later that it was a song about using heroin. And I found that to be very disappointing — it pretty much mars whatever enjoyment I previously had in the song. I realize full well that some of their other songs tend toward disturbing subjects, too, so I tend to tune out the lyrics whenever I listen to them. A shame, really, since both Donald Fagen and Walter Becker are superb musicians.

PatriotGal2257 on February 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM

These people spend two to three years of their life, wager their career and prospects on a wildly speculative script that may have been 10 years unmade, they pour their hearts and souls into it, and all you can say is “meh.”

John the Libertarian on February 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM

It’s the quality that matters, not the effort. The quality is very often “meh”.

And why should I admire somebody who hates me, just because he spent two years writing a script?

Gelsomina on February 24, 2013 at 8:31 PM

For the first time in my life I am ashamed of my Hot Gas for having so many comments about such a crappy event. Including this one. Dammit.

whatabunchoflosers on February 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Is there really a single straight man left in this country who watches an award show like this?

btw, “Aja” was my favorite Steely Dan album.

Tom Servo on February 24, 2013 at 8:44 PM

btw, “Aja” was my favorite Steely Dan album.

Tom Servo on February 24, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Hmmm. The Man Club might be doing some pruning tonight.

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Well, they managed to make it to the first commercial break without making any anti-Republican cracks. And that must have been difficult, considering that Seth MacFarlane was on stage for most of that time. (There hasn’t been any glorification of Obama yet, either.)

J.S.K. on February 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I’m way late on this, but who cares about animation, am I right?

But I have to ask this about the Red Carpet. Which do you think Kristyn Stewart spent more on…clothes, jewelry, or blow?

Kenz on February 24, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Finding Bigfoot is on at 10. So much for the Oscars. And Gator Boys at 9. I prefer Matt Moneymaker to Seth any day.

CrimsonFisted on February 24, 2013 at 9:06 PM

UGH!!

Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters

#breaking Christoph Waltz wins Oscar for best supporting actor in “Django Unchained”

canopfor on February 24, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Okay. The shark music was kinda mean but very funny.

Fallon on February 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 8:14 PM

had never heard of this guy but Binged him and he has some very interesting articles/essays on his site. Thanks for the reference.

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Steely Dan + movie talk in the same thread. Yeah! (what a great song, from one of their best albums)

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Showbiz Kids was an awesome song.

Also appropriate for tonight.

steebo77 on February 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Is that a guy…?

Seven Percent Solution on February 24, 2013 at 9:27 PM

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM

My pleasure! Maybe I’ll go there myself as well, see what he’s written lately. :)

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 9:29 PM

My big beef with the Oscars has always been that they are annual.

My big beef with the Oscars are that it is in-bred voting by “the industry” It is like the US Congress picks best legislator of the year or best piece of legislation.

Happy Nomad on February 24, 2013 at 9:31 PM

PatriotGal2257 on February 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Tom Servo on February 24, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Aja was awesome too. PatriotGal is right that many of their songs “go there” in terms of some dark and disturbing subject matter. Her comment was especially interesting since 22044 and I are talking about storytelling: their songs are definitely little stories (“Negative Girl” always makes me smile with how few syllables they take to describe two very interesting people and tell their story). And there are for sure some nasty, desperate and pathetic characters narrating them.

Maybe I’m interpreting them wrong but I see them as dramatic irony in that these drug addled/lustful/vengeful (or whatever) narrators aren’t meant to be heroes but cautionary tales, or object of ridicule, or just arresting subjects in mini character studies.

Or I’m just reading too much into them and Becker and Fagen liked doing drugs in the 70s. But maybe not.

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 9:32 PM

How many awards do entertainers give themselves?

hawkdriver on February 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Nice mention of the “all too familiar Congressional gridlock.” Real nice.

steebo77 on February 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Showbiz Kids was an awesome song.

Also appropriate for tonight.

steebo77 on February 24, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Heh. Couldn’t have picked a better example of what PatriotGal was talking about. Mr. LaPage is a despicable character and they set this very disturbing scene to this bouncy, breezy pop music. Which could be interpreted as making light of the subject matter, or alternatively that the music being a statement of how Mr. LaPage himself views his depravity, further removing him from the morality of what he’s doing.

OK maybe I’m overanalyzing. But Steely Dan lyrics are pretty tempting mazes in that way. ;)

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Is ‘Gilded Sewer Pipe’ nominated for anything?

locomotivebreath1901 on February 24, 2013 at 9:43 PM

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM

It’s impossible to overanalyze Steely Dan lyrics.

steebo77 on February 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Maybe I should listen to some Steely Dan this week – I actually have a Steely Dan station in my Pandora account. :)

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM

The Oscars are tonight? Hmm, watching hockey.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on February 24, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Shirley Bassey……closing in on 80……what a set of pipes.

Golllllllllllldfiiiiinnggggggggur.

PappyD61 on February 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Meh, I did not watch these narcissistic, overrated, self-indulgent, low IQ’d, individuals give themselves gifts. Most are grossly uneducated bloviators who think themselves above the rest of us. I try not to support many of them. I agree that some are very good actors, but when they make it so clear they are far lefties, it seems to me they alienate half their audience. Is that good business? I wish they would shut up and act!

AnnaS on February 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM

…..and that’s all folks.one hour is all we could stand.

Seth McFarlane………none of us who knew he was.

Ben Affleck what a thin skinned sucker.

Jennifer Hudson……..the reason God created the Mute button.

Liam Neeson praising Lincoln for having to deal with a “deadlocked Congress”…….vomit!!

Most of these people are just rabid liberals waiting to get drunk at the after parties.

Goodnight from Possum Holler.

PappyD61 on February 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM

It’s big business. It’s a big part of American culture. I don’t begrudge them their industry. Plus the dresses are pretty this year.

Allahs vulva on February 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Just off the top of my head but the people who never got an ( real) oscar: Cary Grant, Hitch, Irene Dunne, Barbara Stanwyck, Deborah Kerr, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Kirk Douglas, Peter Lorre, Laurence Harvey, Kim Novak, Richard Burton, Peter O’Toole, Elvis and probably 100 others. I know they and their work doesn’t stand up to the fims of today. Reminds me of college when the stiffs would have their interfrat athletic comps. What a circle jerk.

rik on February 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I wish they would shut up and act!

AnnaS on February 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM

You are asking them to do two things that they can’t do.

rik on February 24, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I cooked a big Sunday dinner (turkey with all the trimmings!) and our two sons came over with our daughter-in-law and future daughter-in-law. So after dinner they put the oscars on. I haven’t watched in many years now. They’re still down there watching it, but I abandoned the mission. What an absolutely putrid toungue bath. It’s was like watching a never ending obama interview with david gregory!

As for Steely Dan, I’ve been a fan for many years. Saw them back in the 70′s at Westbury Music Fair, they were the opening act for Cheech & Chong. No kidding! Then I saw them again about 3 years ago at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC. It’s like a big HS Gym (no seats), so I felt like I was at the best high school dance EVER. They absolutely rocked the house!

Naturally Curly on February 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I’ve boycotted the Oscars since Huntz Hall never received one.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 24, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I’ve boycotted the Oscars since . . . . . . . . holy crap … FOREVER.

listens2glenn on February 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Why we ascribe royalty to people whose only skill in life is pretending to be someone else is beyond me.

Christian Conservative on February 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Adele is one of the biggest stars of the stage tonight. Maybe THE biggest.

Kenz on February 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Meh. I’m a documentary dork.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 24, 2013 at 8:25 PM

We should make a documentary about you . . . . . . such a documentary would get great ratings.

listens2glenn on February 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM

rik on February 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I can’t believe Barbara Stanwyck never won. Stella Dallas? Double Indemnity? Or Hitchcock? Or Cary Grant?

They was robbed!

Naturally Curly on February 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Still waiting for Les Mis II – When the Guillotine Falls

motionview on February 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM

On a high note, the Penguins won. That’s how I spent my evening – watching Sid Crosby.

Philly on February 24, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Kristen Stewart is just plain ugle, and coked to teh gills. She looks like an Arkansas tweaker. Can anyone explain why she’s famous?

Kenz on February 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Has there ever been anyone more beautiful than Salma Hayek? I mean other than my wife, of course.

Kenz on February 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM

The Church also ignores popular culture. Does it also do so at its very great peril?

I have no reason to watch a fake tiger get high awards, nor do I have any reason to watch the snark and circumstances. I’ve grown up considerably over the years, and have learned to avoid giving money to any who have no love for my values.

For the good ones, I’ll wait for them to show up in the $5 bin at Fry’s. They always do — except the Disney ones.

unclesmrgol on February 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM

This year’s ceremony bites.

HiJack on February 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Hugh Jackman is just damned talented. And good looking too. That is all.

mimi1220 on February 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Watched the Star Trek Opening Ceremony. Kirk had definitely gotten into the Tranya.

The reason I pretty much ignore “the movies” is because the quality has decreased so horribly over the past 3 decades it’s sad. Sadder still is that it’s entwined with the pre-planned decline of American intelligence.

Del Dolemonte on February 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Hamlisch was a great guy. It’s good to see him get his due, but I can’t bear to watch that raging, arrogant, hypocrite, Streisand. The only tribute she’s giving is to herself.

Kenz on February 24, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Here are my views on these films:

“Beasts of the Southern Wild”: An inconsequential film which glamorizes and mythologizes the New Orleans Katrina victims and the supposed romance of poverty. Foolish, overblown, naive, with cheap effects. 1 star.

“Silver Linings Playbook”: David Russell’s least impressive film (of about six he’s made). I liked it anyway though, fluff though it was. 3 stars.

“Zero Dark Thirty”: Wonderful and amazing in its political incorrectness. Kathryn Bigelow, with this film and last year’s “Hurt Locker” can’t hide her status as a grizzly bear in Hollywood, tougher and more macho than the males. 3 stars.

“Lincoln”: I would have preferred a (good, honest) film about Coolidge. Oh, well, not likely to happen soon, I guess. This is an important film for liberals because it instructs them that lying, cheating and manipulating the political process is valuable and defensible if it’s for a cause they hold dear (R-A-C-I-S-M!). Clunky, tedious, manipulative. 1 star.

“Les Miserables”: Really? Valjean steals a loaf of bread to feed his family and is stuck in prison for 25 years of hard labor? Straw man spin of law and order issues anyone? To make it worse, Jackman can’t sing. 1 1/2 stars.

“Life of Pi”: If we only play nice with tigers, we can eliminate strife and world hatred. And, oh, yeah, let’s put all religions together into one big mishmash because they’re all the same anyway. New Age pap. It’s a shame what happened to Ang Lee. 1 1/2 stars.

“Amour”: Liberal advertisement for euthanasia. A trivial weepie and disappointment from one of the world’s most cerebral, gifted directors (Haneke).

“Django Unchained”: Exhilarating to liberals because it teaches them it’s okay to hate Wh1tey as long as it’s for a good cause (namely, you guessed it…R-A-C-I-S-M!). 1 star.

“Argo”: Contrived and phony from first to last. Considering the unfortunate parallel events in Benghazi, tasteless in its smug jingoism. 1 star.

The only four-star film I saw this year was P.T. Anderson’s “The Master.”

Burke on February 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Hugh Jackman is just damned talented. And good looking too. That is all.

mimi1220 on February 24, 2013 at 10:59 PM

LOL, I was thinking exactly the same thing.

mbs on February 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM

“Streisand Effect”…her indelible contribution to popular culture bar none as far as I’m concerned. Only an arrogant jerk could show her face in public after thus embarrassing herself. But these clowns gave up on class decades ago.

——————

This year’s ceremony bites.

HiJack on February 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I watch them sometimes, but man oh man…this is the most amateurish production Hollywood puts on all year. Their jokes are never funny IMHO and those that try to be funny generally make a$$es of themselves….but they don’t seem to care.

I like seeing clips of films from way back, catching up on who passed away over the last year, and the technical awards especially.

Congratulations to all of the winners. We should applaud earned success. At least Hollywood doesn’t give everyone an Oscar…yet.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 24, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Just saw this in my fb feed:

Seth MacFarlane just made a TASTELESS and offensive “joke” about President Lincoln. The lack of respect Hollywood shows to great Republicans is disgusting. Click the link below to see what he said.

Any truth to that?

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Burke on February 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM

If you know this easily, what are David Russell’s other films?

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 11:21 PM

It was hilarious to see Samuel Jackson screwing up his group award presentation by being his usual asinine self. The guy is nothing but a racist bigot; hates whitey with a passion, and it showed on stage by dumping on the rest of the gang.

HiJack on February 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Allahs vulva on February 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Yeah, but you’re a vulva.
My boss has me wearing a tight cashmere sweater to show off his puppies.
Don’t know why he calls me a puppy.

AllahsNippleHair on February 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Kenz on February 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Yes, MY wife.

HiJack on February 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Burke on February 24, 2013 at 11:09 PM

If you know this easily, what are David Russell’s other films?

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 11:21 PM

“I Heart Huckabees” (4 stars), “Spanking the Monkey” (3 1/2 stars), “The Fighter” (3 1/2 stars), “Flirting with Disaster” (3 or 3 1/2 stars), “Three Kings” (3 1/2 stars) are my five favorites. Russell’s a liberal, but he’s intellectually ambitious, and he’s a humanist who creates real, original, involving characters. Besides that he has a terrific sense of humor.

Burke on February 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I haven’t seen a single one of these movies.

bluegill on February 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM

…it IS way more important…that you have seen to the multiple treatment of your hemorrhoids.

KOOLAID2 on February 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM

THIS.

Just more women to be jealous of, besides Sarah Palin, eh Buttgill? Yeah, jealous.

AllahsNippleHair on February 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Kenz on February 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Yes, MY wife.

HiJack on February 24, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Ah, Mr. Hayek, you devil. She left you home, again? ;-)

Kenz on February 24, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Any truth to that?

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 11:20 PM

The joke was that Daniel Day-Lewis wasn’t the first actor to be nominated for playing Lincoln, but that the actor who most got inside Lincoln’s head was John Wilkes Booth.

steebo77 on February 24, 2013 at 11:37 PM

They was robbed!

Naturally Curly on February 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Barbara Stanwyck is the most underrated actresses of all time.

(And she was a Republican.)

steebo77 on February 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Burke on February 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Thanks. I’ve seen the last three ones and liked all of them.

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM

steebo77 on February 24, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I see. Kind of amateurish. Thanks.

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Tarentino? Lord, do I hate Hollywood.

Did they find Bigfoot yet?

Kenz on February 24, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Colonel Jessup is here!

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Crap…I spoke too soon. JANE F’in FONDA, champion of the little people in a $20,000 dress covering $100,000 worth of plastic surgery. This woman should’ve been shot for treason 30 years ago. Instead, she’s parading herself around like a Cougar’s horny grandma. Only in America!

Lord, do I loathe Hollywood!

Kenz on February 24, 2013 at 11:52 PM

and now its Michelle Obama! *mute*

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Michelle Obama is introducing, live from the White House, the award for Best Picture.

steebo77 on February 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I love movies, but I hate Hollywood.

steebo77 on February 24, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Happy Nomad on February 24, 2013 at 9:31 PM

That is because the unwashed masses that drop money to see the fruits of Hollywood’s labor aren’t sophisticated enough to know what they like or what is good. It takes years of inbreeding to be able to pass judgement on actors and roles.

You do know why actors are actors…they are absolutely clueless as to who they are, therefore they are always trying to be someone else in order to be relevant.

belad on February 24, 2013 at 11:54 PM

The fugly bangs appear again.

Fallon on February 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Mooch being called to help present an award. Good God Almighty! Hollywood just sucks!!

HiJack on February 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM

it’s Argo

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM

steebo77 on February 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM

So they DID find Bigfoot. AWESOME!!!!!

Kenz on February 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM

ARGO…!

… No, Benghazi!

Seven Percent Solution on February 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM

steebo77 on February 24, 2013 at 11:53 PM

So they DID find Bigfoot. AWESOME!!!!!

Kenz on February 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Life Eating Pie.

AllahsNippleHair on February 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM

HiJack on February 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Vomit…!

Seven Percent Solution on February 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM

These f*cking Obamas have to be everywhere.

Mark1971 on February 24, 2013 at 11:59 PM

These f*cking Obamas have to be everywhere.

Mark1971 on February 24, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Our own Evita… or is it Imelda?

Fallon on February 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM

What the hell was she doing at the Oscars ceremony? With the airplanes going to fall from the skies next week and the Washington Monument set to topple over?!

Marcus on February 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM

This closing number is almost as unwatchable as Mooch.

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM

These f*cking Obamas have to be everywhere.

Mark1971 on February 24, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Yeah, well, it’s about time for us todo something about that.

HiJack on February 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I am just surprised that there was no excuse made to fire up the 747 and fly Mo’s ass out to LA to do it in person, with Big Daddy by her side!

It is not a party until the tax payers are paying another 10m for the itinerary.

Tilly on February 25, 2013 at 12:05 AM

So here’s the scorecard for the night:

Glorification of the Obamas: Just one, but really major, example — Michelle, live via satellite, gives a speech during the presentation of Best Picture, then announces the winner.

Anti-Republican comments: Seth MacFarlane introduced Daniel Radcliffe and Kristen Stewart saying, “He’s a boy wizard. She’s a girl vampire. So together, they’re everything the Christian Right hates about Hollywood.”

I’m not counting the comment about John Wilkes Booth being “the actor who really got into Lincoln’s head” as an anti-Republican comment per se.

J.S.K. on February 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Yeah, well, it’s about time for us todo something about that.

HiJack on February 25, 2013 at 12:04 AM

What is this, a message from four months ago? The American people decided that they like high unemployment, constantly increasing government spending and taxes, and having our ambassadors left defenseless in the November election. We’re stuck with the 0bamas until January 2017.

J.S.K. on February 25, 2013 at 12:09 AM

But Hollywood is NOT LIBERAL! LOL!

I cannot believe they had that woman announce Best Picture.

Never. Again.

I had the sound off for most of it so I could read a book without listening to these vulgar pigs like Seth McFarlane and his songs about boobs and jokes about killing Lincoln. And then MICHELLE OBAMA!

PattyJ on February 25, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Funny… Liam Neeson didn’t seem to have a problem with a deadlocked congress in 2006…

Skywise on February 25, 2013 at 12:11 AM

So here’s the scorecard for the night:

J.S.K. on February 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM

There was also the Lincoln-related reference to “all too familiar Congressional gridlock,” which I can only assume was directed at House Republicans.

steebo77 on February 25, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Academy Awards – a self-licking ice cream cone extravaganza.

SJBill on February 25, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I only watched that crap because my 86 year old mom wanted to. I am disgusted that queenie gave out an award.. Unfrickin believable. Everything is all about them, all day, all the time.

Sad thing is that the youth will believe all of this acceptable after 8 years with these idiots.

O stayed up for the Oscars? what about Benghazi?

shar61 on February 25, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Makes perfect sense that Michelle is part of the Oscars.

She and Obama have been “acting” as President and First Lady.
May their 2nd term be quick.

SmallGovtGuy on February 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I don’t watch crap like the Oscars but I have seen a few of the movies.

Zero Dark Thirty was OK. I preferred the No Easy Day book.

Les Mis was great, minus Russell Crowe who not only can’t sing but can’t act either. The emotion shown by Anne Hathaway was amazing.

Actually watched Argo tonight, it was pretty good, especially knowing that it was a true story. Be sure to watch the bonus features – interviews with the real people.

I still intend to watch Lincoln but none of the rest have any appeal for me.

BTW, Anne Hathaway looked very elegant in her pink dress. For all of those ignorant of fashion, those are darts in her dress, NOT her nipples.

Common Sense on February 25, 2013 at 12:33 AM