Open thread: The 85th annual Academy Awards

posted at 6:31 pm on February 24, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

My big beef with the Oscars has always been that they are annual. That fact in and of itself seems to assume that Hollywood comes up with sincerely great and timeless motion pictures every single year — which, in what is probably my over-curmudgeonly and certainly non-expert opinion, they don’t.

However, I also think that conservatives as a whole have a tendency to ignore popular culture at their own very great peril, and I’ve heard that there are some genuinely neat flicks up for the big nomination this year.

The Oscars rolled out the red carpet on Sunday for the movie industry’s biggest night, with Iran hostage drama “Argo” and presidential drama “Lincoln” in a tight race for Best Picture.

With several contests too close to call, a slate of big box office hits to celebrate and an unpredictable first-time host in Seth MacFarlane, movie fans could be in for surprises when the curtain rises on the 85th annual Academy Awards.

Before the festivities begin, nominees including Jennifer Lawrence, Hugh Jackman, Sally Field, Jessica Chastain, British singer Adele and “Argo” producer George Clooney, along with performers Barbra Streisand and Jennifer Hudson will parade along the 500-ft long (152 meter) red carpet before dozens of photographers and camera crews.

I haven’t seen either of the two top picks, but I heard “Lincoln” got generally very good reviews and Ed liked “Argo”; here’s the full list of nominees via ABC:

Best Picture:

“Beasts of the Southern Wild”

“Silver Linings Playbook”

“Zero Dark Thirty”

“Lincoln”

“Les Miserables”

“Life of Pi”

“Amour”

“Django Unchained”

“Argo”

I believe the official festivities start at 7 PM on ABC — so if you want to comment on the fashions, discuss the merits of the individual films, or just heckle the heck out of the pomp and pageantry of the entire spectacle, have at it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Yawn….

KCB on February 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Couldn’t care less.

Kensington on February 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Is there a reason I should care about a bunch of left-wing liberal propagandists slapping each other on the back and strutting about in expensive evening wear?

Yeah, I’ll be watching Discovery or something else, or probably nothing.

AZfederalist on February 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Watching a bunch of self-serving, immoral liberals felate each other for 4 hours? No thanks.

Polish Rifle on February 24, 2013 at 6:34 PM

…hockey and basketball is on…don’t need to watch all of JugEars tax breaks wearing hundred thousand dollar gowns!

KOOLAID2 on February 24, 2013 at 6:34 PM

meh.

ted c on February 24, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Watching hockey tonight.

gophergirl on February 24, 2013 at 6:36 PM

a show for liberals, done by liberals, watched among liberals, talked about by liberals, and showcasing the things that liberals do…..

count me out.

ted c on February 24, 2013 at 6:36 PM

It means absolutely nothing to me.

JellyToast on February 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I generally only tune in for the big six. I haven’t watched the whole broadcast in years and usually haven’t seen any of the best pictures noms.

WaltzingMtilda on February 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I’m having an elective root canal done.

Liam on February 24, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Love movies and think they’re an awesome art form. So I hate that so many instances of this art form, to paraphrase writer Flannery O’Connor, don’t “tell the truth about the world” in their stories and so they’re not good art.

That said I think there are many films this year that that doesn’t apply to. Am personally rooting for Les Miserables for Best Picture among a few worthy candidates. Best movie in years IMO. Tom Hooper and the cast did a terrific job.

PS Quentin Tarantino is personally an entitled, narcisisstic jackass. Just getting that off my chest.

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Anyone? Anyone?

forest on February 24, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Can’t wait for QOTD..

Electrongod on February 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM

forest on February 24, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Steely Dan + movie talk in the same thread. Yeah! (what a great song, from one of their best albums)

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Watching something else tonight. We still have the freedom to choose how we spend our time. Easy decision-not supporting Hollywood.

indypat on February 24, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Would rather watch static

Bullhead on February 24, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Hey wait a sec, is Barry going to do a taped “shout out” to his supporters? Maybe Michelle will dance in the background?

indypat on February 24, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Hockey night

Philly on February 24, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Also known as the parade of worthless Hollywood douchebags.

Kohath on February 24, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I cant stand any of those people. Besides, its Walking Dead night.

NickTx on February 24, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Don’t normally pay any attention to the Academy Awards, but what I thought interesting is that Emmanuelle Riva is the oldest woman to have ever received a nomination for Best Actress. She’s 86.

This is a photographic tribute to her and her previous films. She has that Audrey Hepburn vibe in these vintage photos, and she still looks elegant and classy in her photos today.

PatriotGal2257 on February 24, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I’ll watch them if they include the “Golden Douche” award, and give it to everyone who participates.

Archivarix on February 24, 2013 at 6:56 PM

No thank you.

DeathtotheSwiss on February 24, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I refuse to watch a program where they insult conservatives. They simply can’t control themselves.

Is it wrong to fantasize about the roof crashing down on all those aholes and losing our entire “entertainment class”?

Blake on February 24, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Haven’t watched the Oscars in over 30 years now.Liberals slobbering and gushing and spouting their ideology to the lower rung mokes like us make me want to puke.

jeffinsjvca on February 24, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Watching the red carpet show as im prepping for dinner…. will skip the actual awards show

Pretty dresses

Yeah it’s a chick thing

cmsinaz on February 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Would rather get force-fed hornets, set on fire, and fed feet-first into a wood chipper.
Oh wait…that was what I’d rather have done than vote for the Ronulan.
As you were.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I haven’t seen any of those flicks…HOWEVER…my wife and I just started watching the Netflix original series House of Cards. So far it’s really good. We’re just a few episodes in so there’s still time for it to turn crappy, but so far so good.

Weight of Glory on February 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Like somebody said last year: There’s nothing more entertaining than watching millionaires give each other gold statues.

bugsy on February 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Oh, Erika! Did you pull the short straw?

Cindy Munford on February 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Academy who ?

listens2glenn on February 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I also think that conservatives as a whole have a tendency to ignore popular culture at their own very great peril.

I assume that means getting in tune with the shallow-brained Obama voting idiocracy in order to win hearts and minds with a lite FM version of nihilistic flavored Statism.
That’s the key to reviving the decaying society and dissolving Republic!

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I certainly don’t ignore popular culture, but like with anything else, some elements of it are better than others. And the Oscars are a joke. It’s not a serious competition; the whole thing is corrupt and rigged, and it ultimately just amounts to a bunch of lazy, wealthy Hollywood wind-bags patting themselves on the back for producing mostly crap. Even many in Hollywood think that. Meanwhile the rest of us have to suffer getting screwed by Obama who those limousine-driven “socialist” hypocrites worked overtime to get elected. I take that personally. Screw them all. I will skip this circle-jerk, and I recommend that all my fellow Americans, regardless of political orientation, do the same.

WhatSlushfund on February 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM

You’ll enjoy house of cards weight of glory

cmsinaz on February 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Don’t know anyone who cares to watch. We will watch ANYTHING but.

who won on February 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM

cmsinaz on February 24, 2013 at 6:58 PM

LOL! I’ll catch the “Best” and the “Worst” pictures tomorrow.

Cindy Munford on February 24, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Oh, yeah – - I remember television from way back. I saw it at a buddy’s house one time. Yup – - that’s what I saw that time

unclesmrgol on February 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Cindy :)

Yup

cmsinaz on February 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Love Steely Dan and have almost all of their recordings in various permutations — albums, CDs and MP3s.

PatriotGal2257 on February 24, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Oh wait…that was what I’d rather have done than vote for the Ronulan.
As you were.

annoyinglittletwerp
on February 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM

. . . . . : )

listens2glenn on February 24, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I hear it is streaming on ObamaPhones for free..

Electrongod on February 24, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Hopefully someone dear to me will one day have a film up for an Oscar, and she will be as rich as all get-out and gettin’ royalties and selling her stuff…and then I will watch her get her Oscar. Or at leasr hear her name up for best film or whatever…Gee, until then it is “Three things, pretty dull indeed.”

Fleuries on February 24, 2013 at 7:05 PM

unclesmrgol on February 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Little bit of Paul Hogan there!

KCB on February 24, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Heh. Am genuinely amused (and not in a snarky way, in a friendly way) at all the people taking the time to register their strong opinions on the awards show even though they’d rather dive into a swimming pool filled with double edge razor blades than watch.

And for proof, should have mentioned that though I love to see good movies get awards, and to discuss them, haven’t actually watched any movie awards shows in like 20 yrs. They’re so bloated and I really wish they’d be like the first few years that took like an hour and just gave out all the awards. Then I’d watch. But now I have Bing to bring me all the results tomorrow morning.

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 7:06 PM

i’m watching until seth mcfarland pulls his first Trig Palin joke.

renalin on February 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Who cares?

beatcanvas on February 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Do not watch TV. Do not watch movies. Do not care what a group of self-righteous, sef-absorbed, self-aggrandizing idiots think about ANYTHING, including who, among their group of fools, is praise-worthy.

Siddhartha Vicious on February 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Call it the conservative venting session.

I would like to see the Bond tribute but I’m sure it will be on You Tube for me to find.

gophergirl on February 24, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Since they will, yet again, not be giving an Oscar for the overall quality of the celluloid used to make films, I won’t be watching.

trigon on February 24, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Mr cmsinaz picked ‘flight’ for us to watch tonight

cmsinaz on February 24, 2013 at 7:12 PM

on totally unrelated news, here’s a cute vid on all the, well, cute women on FNC

(MM is featured, as is Coulter…and everyone else)

complete with music

r keller on February 24, 2013 at 7:12 PM

How come no one ever says “liberals ignore NASCAR at their own peril”? Isn’t that popular culture? How about ignoring hunting and fishing at their own peril? Or country music? Or a tasty meal at the Cracker Barrel? Or a family vacation to Disney World?

How come “popular culture” is always what liberals say popular culture is — leading otherwise smart people to say inane things like “conservatives as a whole have a tendency to ignore popular culture at their own very great peril”?

Ridiculous. You couldn’t pay me to watch a silly awards show where a bunch of reprobates pat each other on the back before heading off somewhere to bang each other’s wives or their underage children. Popular…”culture”? I think not.

Rational Thought on February 24, 2013 at 7:12 PM

PatriotGal2257 on February 24, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Me too. What’s your favorite album? It’s tough to pick for me but if I had to…mostly because of this long-but-worth-every-second gem and this moving one.

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Heh. Nobody’s watching? I’m not either!

I like movies too. Some of them. If nobody at Hot Air will watch, I’ll turn it on around 11:15 to see who won Best Picture. In the meantime, maybe I’ll got to QOTD when it comes up. :)

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I love how they celebrate excessive consumption. “I’m wearing two million dollars worth of diamonds. Here look.”
And it’s all cool because its the Oscars and not the RNC.

Marcus on February 24, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Spot on Marcus :)

cmsinaz on February 24, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Good grief. The douchery is right here, on HA. Talk about a bunch of envious self-righteous prigs. Zero Dark Thirty is the best picture by far, but won’t win because it’s controversial. Argo also bends center-right, but that’s not enough for you all. These people spend two to three years of their life, wager their career and prospects on a wildly speculative script that may have been 10 years unmade, they pour their hearts and souls into it, and all you can say is “meh.”

John the Libertarian on February 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I remember around 2000 they went award show crazy. I read that there were 264 award shows in one year. People I know are always giving awards to each other: the DAs to the COps to the City, and back again. It’s so much BS. kno

Blake on February 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Oh, yippie. America-hating, rich folks bestowing “awards” on each other. Can’t wait.

Warner Todd Huston on February 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM

John the Libertarian on February 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Oh, the humanity. You shame us all.

Rational Thought on February 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM

John the Libertarian on February 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Yeah that’s it – I envy these people

Now if these were the ACM’s or the CMA’s I would be watching.

gophergirl on February 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM

John the Libertarian on February 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM

We are not your enemies.

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Well I have a date with a treadmill and a hockey game.

Later all!

gophergirl on February 24, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Zero Dark Thirty is controversial? It won Best Picture from The National Board of Review and The New York Film Critics and then when there was liberal grumbling it was immediately shunned. Every panelist on the ABC Sunday talk show picked it but one. Yep, I hate these people and don’t look forward to Ben Affleck and George Clooney up on the stage because they couldn’t handle the Zero Dark Thirty liberal backlash.

Marcus on February 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Any bets…before the first shot at a Republican? First 30 minutes…and when will Obama appear via satellite?

Redford on February 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM

and all you can say is “meh.”

John the Libertarian on February 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM

And then they bash Conservatism..
Religion..
Guns..
All the while creating campaign videos of how great Obama is..
Ignoring his overreach, unconstitutional actions..
And then more pork pores into Hollywood…our money.

Electrongod on February 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah. No one here is watching.

Right.

DVRed. The only way to watch something like this. I’ll skip thru to see what I want later.

I don’t want to spend 3 1/2+ hours looking at anything much. I will probably flip over there for the last part of the show live if I remember to.

Moesart on February 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Nope.

ExpressoBold on February 24, 2013 at 7:31 PM

And so what if they take a shot?

When did everybody get so weak? You’re like a bunch of pc liberals. Rise above.

Moesart on February 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Can’t watch it. All those Obama supporters in one room congratulating themselves over & over again.

Belle on February 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Yawn. An overly long mutual admiration society event where a bunch of narcissists who make a living pretending to be someone they are not all get dressed up, get together to give themselves a pat on the back and give awards for those they think have done ” the best” job and then reward those who watch with inappropriate political comments, crude language, mindless drivel and boring speeches. I’d like to watch the cast from Les Miserables sing live, but that means I’d have to sit through all the drivel before it. Someone will post it on You Tube

Beaglemom on February 24, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Open thread: The 85th annual Academy Awards
===========================================

Interesting,but I’m taking a tea break,right at the part where
the NK Goons are shelling the entrance to the Wolverines base
camp,in Red Dawn!

Oh,if I need updates!

2013 Academy Awards

canopfor on February 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM

“Atlas Shrugged Part 1″ on Netflix.

Bruce MacMahon on February 24, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I won’t be watching but I did see Lincoln, Les Mis, and Argo becaue my children begged me to see them. I enjoyed them all. I’m hoping for Les Mis because it was wonderful and I have never seen the play but had to read the book in French, in high school and loved it. The movie really touched me. The other two impressed me because I wasn’t expecting much. But I couldn’t watch 4 hours of those idiots all together.

megthered on February 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Choices choices!

I shall be watching Walking Dead and I shall be here for QOTD!

Just finishing up watching Ghandi… marvellous film.

Catch you all later peeps!

John the Libertarian on February 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Oh, the humanity. You shame us all.
Rational Thought on February 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Doesn’t he just… ;-)

Potentia ad Populum

Scrumpy on February 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I have a separate tab which will provide me with updates on the winners tonight.

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 7:39 PM

My pick would be Les Miserables…

Oh how I loved that book!!

Never understood tho why they made it a musical?

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Scrumpy on February 24, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I will watch some of the movies when they become available for rental later this year.

22044 on February 24, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I haven’t seen a single one of these movies.

bluegill on February 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I’m tuned in. It’s like watching a 40 car pile-up on the freeway. Can’t…look…away.

My collie says:

And besides, it’s better than watching those crappy movies they make, now isn’t it?

CyberCipher on February 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I couldn’t possibly care less.

Midas on February 24, 2013 at 7:45 PM

The part I like best about watching the Oscars is….(wait for it) the reactions of all those that were nominated, but lost.

CyberCipher on February 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM

And then they bash Conservatism..
Religion..
Guns..
All the while creating campaign videos of how great Obama is..
Ignoring his overreach, unconstitutional actions..
And then more pork pores into Hollywood…our money.

Electrongod on February 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM

This is an extremely interesting controversy, to me. I get the not supporting those who use the money to support liberal causes but for myself, never evaluated whether a movie deserved to be supported by my $ (and ever since I was a teenager I’ve done advance checking on almost every movie I’ve seen) based on its stars and their political opinions.

My dollars were given based on two things (as far as I could determine these two things in advance): 1) whether it was a well-made, entertaining or at least moving film, and 2) whether, whatever was shown on screen depicted the truth about the world (meaning, at root, were good things shown as good and evil ones evil and not vice versa). Flannery O’Connor wrote a wonderful essay on this that drives *both* the “don’t show me a swear word or a immoral action on film” people, and the (mostly liberal) moral relativists, nuts.

Since these stars/directors etc have chosen to make movies, it seemed to me better to try to reward their good filmmaking and withhold my money from the bad. And if others were likeminded we could starve the beast so to speak if someone consistently insisted on spreading moral or just human idiocy in their movies.

inviolet on February 24, 2013 at 7:47 PM

My big beef with the Oscars has always been that they are anal.

Sorry, couldn’t resist it.

Rovin on February 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM

With very few exceptions, it’s narcissists on parade… can’t watch.

MT on February 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM

My big beef with the Oscars has always been that they are annual give the impression that this is actually important and we should take acting seriously.

Cleombrotus on February 24, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Nobody cares. Certainly not I.

Theres real things to talk about.

TX-96 on February 24, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Watching classic Robert Cummings films free instead.

Just found The Black Book – more entertaining than viewing a mass ego massage piqued by a stray thong slip or strategic obscenity.

(Argo looks worth a watch on DVD.)

profitsbeard on February 24, 2013 at 7:53 PM

As George C. Scott observed, “It’s a meat parade”.

GarandFan on February 24, 2013 at 7:54 PM

“Nothing can take the sting out of the world’s economic problems like watching millionaires give each other golden statues.”

-Billy Crystal

The Rogue Tomato on February 24, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Who cares about the Oscars? The Walking Dead is on tonight!

Ygritte on February 24, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I don’t think acting is very artistic. If it is artistic, then why do they need an award?

I think the fashions are creative and I’ll check those out with the sound down. I can’t stand to hear these people speak.

HellCat on February 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I haven’t seen a single one of these movies.

bluegill on February 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM

…it IS way more important…that you have seen to the multiple treatment of your hemorrhoids.

KOOLAID2 on February 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM

deniro in 7th heaven. he’s sandwiched between two black women.

renalin on February 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I live two blocks from the event. The helicopters have been circling overhead for hours. Cops lining the streets. It’s the safest night of the year in Hollywood. Othewise I feel about it the way George C. Scott did.

rrpjr on February 24, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I really dont understand how regular people get any entertainment out of watching awards shows for over paid hollywood hypocrites.
Especially people who say they are conservative. We all know hollywood isnt our friend, and the agendas the push, mostly are against our values and our beliefs. So why do so many still support hollywood with much of their money and their time? This goes beyond the fact that even if Hollywood was balanced, these award shows are lame and boring.

I for one, thankfully, go out of my way to not support most of hollywood. I dont live in a cave and will watch a show or movie sometimes, but hardly ever.

If you cant not give them your attention/money because they push an agenda the opposite of ours and they view us as really their enemy, then at least stop supporting them because of their hypocrisy.

bucsox79 on February 24, 2013 at 8:01 PM

jennifer garner and reese witherspoons dresses make their stomachs look huuuuuge.

ouch, halle berry with large gut too.

libs are eating a lotta carbs.

renalin on February 24, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Erika, to be honest, we stand no chance ever taking back pop culture. It has engulfed the youth in a way that we can never undo. I say, disengage and be left out of the self-absorbed culture. It would result in being alone for a long time, but (to me), it would be worth it.

nobar on February 24, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I haven’t seen a single one of these movies.

bluegill on February 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM

…(still watching “Game Change”…winner of multiple Golden Globe hemorrhoids!)

KOOLAID2 on February 24, 2013 at 8:05 PM