Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:01 am on February 24, 2013 by Allahpundit

How dull is this week’s Sunday yakfest? The big match-up is … Kelly Ayotte versus Tim Kaine, talking about … the sequester. The only reason to watch is to find out from Ayotte whether the official GOP line is that sequestration is no big deal or whether it’s a terrible, terrible thing that’s all Obama’s fault.

Bobby Jindal will be on too to discuss “the future of the GOP.” His message about not neglecting economic growth in order to fight maddening, unwinnable battles over spending is a timely one during sequestermania. The line-up via National Journal:

Meet the Press will have Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick on to discuss the NGA meeting. Jindal will also analyze the future of the GOP.

Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., and Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., will be on Face the Nation to offer an update the sequestration issue. Afterwards, the show will have four governors (Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell, Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper, Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer) all talking about about their meeting and how the sequestration will impact their states. In a panel discussion later in the program, Rep. Tim Murphy, R-Pa., will be among experts analyzing mental health issues in the wake of the Newtown shooting. Major Garrett will host, filling in for Bob Schieffer.

Fox News Sunday will have host Chris Wallace interviewing Ayotte and Kaine. Delaware Gov. Jack Markell and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker will follow with a discussion about their conference.

State of the Union hosts Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., followed by Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., discussion U.S.-Cuba relations following his recent meeting with Fidel Castro. Former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and Connecticut Gov. Dan Malloy will join a panel to debate guns, immigration and sequestration.

This Week will have a foreign policy round table featuring Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., and Rep. Eliot Engel, D-N.Y. They’ll talk about how to address the cyber threat from China and the latest challenges in Syria and Iran.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

And he does really come off as New Reagan.

Illinidiva on February 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I don’t agree with the comparison though. Rubio is a good speaker, but he has his story and not much else except speaking skills. Reagan was an ex-governor, also an older “father figure” populist.

Rubio is the shiny new upstart and has a long life to live before he can be put in the same league as Reagan.

I still like Rubio. He just needs to get a little more experience. Would like to see him try governorship first.

can_con on February 24, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I don’t disagree with you. Just feel that Rand will not win moderates, plus he is a first term senator which I don’t think the country needs as the top executive.

Jindal may not be the most conservative, but he is the most conservative one that can still attract all spectrums of voters. Other than his hokey SOTU rebuttle, he will be hard to marginalize without having racism charges shoved back in their faces.

I would support any eventual nominee, but my hope is the country goes for someone with executive experience, not a senator.

Just curious though, in your opinion when was the last “true con” elected President by today’s standards?

can_con on February 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM

First I think Rand does and will appeal to moderates. ANd for the record I don’t respect wishy washy moderates. They are weak and go whichever way the wind blows. PResent them with a strong conservative leader and most will follow.

Secondly the last thing we should to is nominate someone based who we think can supposedly win. We nominate the best person and what happens happens.

We’ll see if Jindal even runs, if he does I’d be more than willing to check him out.

The last true con was Reagan.

LevinFan on February 24, 2013 at 8:29 PM

One more thing can_con:

What do you mean by last true con elected by today’s standards?

Are you implying that our standards now are too tough? I sure hope not b/c the issue we had too many candidates last go around with major flaws in fundamental areas:

SOcialized healthcare: ROmney and Newt had serious issues. Even Santorum voted for Medicare Part D.

Global warming: ROmney and Newt

Bailouts: Newt and Romney

Soft on illegals: Newt and Perry; honestly the entire GOP is pretty bad on this one.

LevinFan on February 24, 2013 at 8:31 PM

LevinFan on February 24, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I didn’t mean anything by the question other than to get a point of reference on your thinking of a true con.

I don’t view Jindal as a moderate or wishy washy though, and yes I think Rand may get moderates (if he stays away from espousing too much Libertarian foreign policy views).

But I also think it is the height of hubris that Rubio/Cruz/Paul/Ryan would even think they are ready for the top job. (I know, Obama but that’s a serious facepalm).

Rubio/Cruz or Paul would be better off making a play for senate leadership first or a governorship. Same with Ryan in the House

And I agree on your assessment of previous candidates flaws.

can_con on February 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM

And I agree on your assessment of previous candidates flaws.

can_con on February 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I used to think the same thing about wanting an executive instead of someone from the Senate.

However at this point I’ll settle for a conservative with a backbone.

I mean Romney was a former Governor and CEO but I’d take Rand Paul or Cruz in a second over Mittens.

So just b/c someone has executive experience or more experience in gov’t doesn’t necessarily make them a better or more qualified candidate. Some are tainted by being in DC longer.

It has to be a case by case basis.

Cruz may hold off since he’s new but I really hope he doesn’t. Check out his voting record, I think that makes him alot better suited than many others with more experience.

I may not be able to respond after this (we shall see) as I have to get some sleep for a big day tomorrow…. been nice chatting with you.

LevinFan on February 24, 2013 at 8:50 PM

One other thing about Rand:

He was a doctor for a long time. That puts him in a unique position to explain to the American people how all the regulations kill healthcare.

LevinFan on February 24, 2013 at 8:51 PM

LevinFan on February 24, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Same to you LevinFan. Hope your big day tomorrow goes as planned.
See you around Hot Gas next time.

can_con on February 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM