Is Oregon writing the Worst. Gun. Law. Evah?

posted at 8:31 am on February 23, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

Living in New York, we’re no strangers to really restrictive new gun laws, but you sort of expect that out here. We may have some competition in the race to the bottom, though, if some legislators in Oregon have their way. In fact, if HB 3200 gets passed into law, you may as well pack up and leave the state if you have any interest in Second Amendment rights. Here’s the top line summary.

Creates crime of unlawful possession or transfer of assault weapon or large capacity magazine.
Punishes by maximum penalty of 10 years’ imprisonment, $250,000 fine, or both.
Requires current owners to dispose of or register assault weapons and large capacity magazines.

That should be bad enough on its own, but if you really dig into the guts of this bill, it actually gets worse. After spending quite a bit of ink defining “assault weapons” as pretty much anything with cosmetic attachments which look scary to somebody, we get to the meat of the proposal.

Any person who, prior to the effective date of this law, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine shall, within 120 days after the effective date of this 2013 Act, without being subject to prosecution:
(a) Remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from the state;
(b) Sell the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to a firearms dealer licensed under 18 U.S.C. 923 for lawful sale or transfer under subsection (2) of this section;
(c) Surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to a law enforcementagency for destruction;
(d) Render the assault weapon permanently inoperable;

Oh, wait… did I say that was the bad part. I think I actually meant to refer to this truly tasty treat near the very end. After specifying that even under grandfathering you can only have one “assault rifle” and three high capacity magazines, these high level edicts are handed down.

(3) The department shall create and maintain a registry for owners of assault weapons and large capacity magazines who qualify for registration under section 4 of this 2013 Act. The department may adopt rules concerning the administration of the registry, including but not limited to renewal and revocation procedures and storage requirements for assault weapons and large capacity magazines.
(4) The department may conduct inspections of registered owners of assault weapons andlarge capacity magazines to ensure compliance with the storage requirements of section 4of this 2013 Act.
SECTION 6. This 2013 Act being necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health and safety, an emergency is declared to exist, and this 2013 Act takes effect on its passage.

For all the talk I hear from gun control proponents this year about how universal background checks won’t lead to some sort of gun registry, it certainly seems like there are a lot of lawmakers who are interested in doing precisely that wherever they can. (Referring to (3) above that is.) And when it comes to (4) what can we say? We are assured on a daily basis that the authorities aren’t coming to kick down the doors of gun owners, but out in Oregon they are clearly opening the door to unscheduled, uninvited visits to people on the list.

And this is so important… so critical.. so vital… that a state of emergency must be declared to exist so the law will go into effect immediately without any period of review or challenges. Now tell me again why we’re all paranoid crazies making up fantasies about the government?

Update (Ed): Patriot Perspective’s Short Timer adds his own thoughts on this topic, and reminds us what Oregon Democrats think of gun-rights supporters:

But remember, Oregon Democrats like Lee Coleman have assured us that this kind of thing is just paranoid delusion from some people in “Kansas or whatever” so “go screw yourself.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

If you lived in NY state then would you be willing to die over keeping your 10 mag clip?

LevinFan on February 23, 2013 at 4:33 PM

You know, this isn’t a binary decision. Your friend isn’t restricted to a) turn in his 10 round magazine (if you are going to comment on this, at least get the terminology right) or b) die defending it. There are other options. Simply refuse to turn them in, if they can’t find illegal aliens, why should they be able to find your friend’s magazine — tell them it emigrated. Magazines aren’t serialized, they aren’t registered. Magazines are expendable items that do wear out and break. I’m betting that there are a lot of 10+ round magazines in the Coumo’s (don’t know how it’s spelled and don’t really care) state of New Tyranny that have been expended, lost, broken and just plain disappeared. Nobody is saying you have to go out fighting over a 10 round magazine. Tell them you shipped it as a gift to a friend in a free state and you are waiting for your New Tyranny approved 9 round magazine for your firearm. For goodness sake, don’t make this easy for the jackbooted thugs!

AZfederalist on February 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

The paranoia of gun nuts is amazing. Living in fear of a boogeyman in their heads put there by other nuts. Part Alex Jones, part doomsday prepper, part anarchist, part hillbilly. Some even find common cause with paranoid cop killers.

America is one strange country. Only in America do you find millions of nutbars like this.

These nutbars need to do some traveling into the rest of the civilized world. Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Great Britain, etc, none of these countries have a second amendment. None. And all are free countries, rich countries, peaceful countries and safe countries. There are no government NAZIs carrying the citizens off to camps.

This gun nut subculture is a product of a mental illness.

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

AZfederalist on February 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM

You’re missing my point. Please, at least read through my comments on this thread. I don’t want to repeat myself too many times.

I’m willing to have the discussion, but I think you may have my point of view blended in with some one else’s.

Saltysam on February 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM

AZfederalist on February 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Indeed, when I said “clip”, above, I should have put it in quotes, as I was quoting LevinF.

Second, indeed on the status. As RWM says, beautifully. My guns won’t be illegal, they’ll just be undocumented.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM

“Those who don’t know history are destined to repeat it.”

Edmund Burke; ‘The father of modern conservatism’.

LegendHasIt on February 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM

SCOTUS said ” COMMON USE ARMS MAY NOT BE BANNED “.

This law would be illegal before it even passed.

TX-96 on February 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM

This is such a sad conversation. The Left is laying out a matrix of laws that will churn thru the courts, and then to SCOTUS. In a way a similar action that was done by conservative state in Obama.care…but more comprehensive. They are putting out multiple prongs of attacks within state laws

Home inspection will not pass muster, they know that. But by throwing out lots and lots of stuff, they hope that some will stick. Then they figure that most people will be assured by the leftist press into thing that some sort of balance has been achieved by SCOTUS

That’s the best case. The worst is that barry, or a leftist successor, etc to choose a replacement for one of the conservatives. I still think that inspection will be struck down….but certanlly severe regs on guns/ammo/mags..well, anything…will be on the table big time.

The problem is that the majority of voters have been voting their narrow self-interest for a long time. The stunning vid of Coulter vs. ‘Libertarian’ youth is a testament to the self in politics. Yes, i know that college people have a hard time thinking of anything other than sex, drugs, and rock and roll…but Stossel should know better…and really, Ron Paul should have helped the cause rather than being a fatuous pol looking for TV time

r keller on February 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

This gun nut subculture is a product of a mental illness.

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

For as long as the State wills it – you incredibly stupid, pissant.

And that’s the point – for as long as the State wills it.

Now, get your subject ass back to the Daily Kos.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Tell ya what there bunkie — since you seem to have a problem with us keeping our freedoms here in the US, and apparently you find firearms ownership to be scary to you, why don’t you go to one of those “civilized” countries and take up residence there and leave us to our freedoms instead of removing our rights?

You might just want to do a little research before you go though. Some of those countries aren’t as free, peaceful, or safe as you seem to think.

AZfederalist on February 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

YOU are the biggest Fool on this thread.

We are better traveled than you can ever imagine.

All those countries are socialist heavens. There is ONLY one USA. You are dead set to destroy her. Got to Hades, you moron.

Your ‘erudite’ approach misses the entire point. The US is special because she has a 2nd, not because the others don’t have it. They are the lamb/plankton sheeple types. Yes, take Australia and Canada, superb lands, full of sheep. Shove it. I hope the tyrants shove something very unbendable up yours, until you scream, and no one helps you. Gosh, to see your heads chopped off, first, will be some form of schadenfreude.

Still, we’ll die protecting you fools from yourselves. If the US Soldiers and others wouldn’t be doing what they do, you’d be long dead, you tiny rat in the latrine. Suffocate from what you consume, commie-sozi b/s.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I would keep the magazine. It’s up to the state to kill me over it (since you seem to be saying they’d do that).

capitalist piglet on February 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM

EXACTLY!

Amen, brother.

Saltysam on February 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I also know that we are rapidly approaching that time when complying with government laws is only going to make us more vulnerable to additional tyranny while taking away options to resist, thus emboldening the tyrants.

AZfederalist on February 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I’m with you.

Saltysam on February 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM

There are no government NAZIs carrying the citizens off to camps.
keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Yet.

And only because they haven’t disarmed us yet.

Again, for the slow:

“Those who don’t know history are destined to repeat it.”

LegendHasIt on February 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM

If I could tell Schadenfreude one thing, it’d be to stop beating around the bush, and say what Schadenfreude means.

;O)

OhEssYouCowboys on February 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM

AZfederalist on February 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM

…while the current gov’t ignores the laws of the land. The illegals and criminals have more rights than the law-abiding citizens and taxpayers do.

keep the change is an utter fool who deserves not to live free.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on February 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Cheers! You can’t win against charlatanic thugs by using silky gloves. It’s how Romney lost, when a brick should have beaten the narcissistic underdeveloped, underaccomplished teenager Punk.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM

OK, I’ll wait for you to go Alinsky on me now. (Starts stopwatch).

Del Dolemonte on February 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Well said.

Pretty ironic that swalker will simply take the word of the UK Guardian but has some doubts about who killed Jeremiah McKay.

LevinFan on February 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM

(checks stopwatch)

Ok, it’s now over 3 hours since my original post upthread, and I have yet to receive a response from the Subject.

Translated: When confronted in a debate with facts one cannot refute, run away as quickly as possible and bury head in sand.

Figure it out Wiley Coyote.

SWalker on February 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM

lol, couldn’t even get that right.

Del Dolemonte on February 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Canada has million of guns and guns owners you ignorant wretch. New Zealand has about a 1 million or more for a very small country. Australia just got rid of most of theirs so thats still pending, and Britain is a sh!thole of violence.

sharrukin on February 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Watch this and don’t let it happen to the American people.

Property and life in bondage ain’t worth it.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Heh!

That was excellent.

The example he used at the UNR rapes and murder of Brianna Dennison was close to home for me. I lived in Reno at the time. My neighbors (libs) were a married couple the my wife and I befriended. (Yes, I can do it…sometimes) Well, she worked at UNR and he was getting his Masters in an applied Science. During the fear and sadness of that time, I was quite astonished at how some were still cognitively dissonant on the issue of “gun free” zones.

Anyway there is a story there, but I won’t bore you with it. Thanks for the link.

Saltysam on February 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Great Britain, etc, none of these countries have a second amendment. None… There are no government NAZIs carrying the citizens off to camps.

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

It’s funny that you’d mention Nazis but leave Germany off your list.

And Switzerland, for that matter. You don’t know why Switzerland matters without googling, do you?

rogerb on February 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Your contempt for the Statist, robotic, unarmed and willing to be disarmed, apparatchiks is endearing.

Utter contempt is all that they deserve and should get. It’s what they’ll get from the State that they embrace, too.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM

SCOTUS said ” COMMON USE ARMS MAY NOT BE BANNED “.

This law would be illegal before it even passed.

TX-96 on February 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Oregon: “We aren’t banning these weapons, uh, we are imposing a $10 million dollar a year permit tax for them”.

“Justice” Roberts: “Sounds ok to me…”

wildcat72 on February 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

YOU are the biggest Fool on this thread.

We are better traveled than you can ever imagine.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Excellent rant! So excellent that it bears repeating………..strongly!

kakypat on February 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Saltysam on February 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM

You’re welcome, Ss.

OEYC, thank you. The fools don’t know how good they have it and want all of us to be directed by them. They can all go to Hades, pronto.

They are socialist nationalists (except their ‘nation’ is the global Utopian theory), never truly liberal or progressive, in the true sense. They love tyrannies, every time.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM

For those who wrote to ask, no… I’m not banning Keep the Change. In fact, I find this conversation an excellent example and exercise of why you need to stay on your toes. You will hear many of these same arguments from Democrats in Congress.

Jazz Shaw on February 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Jazz Shaw on February 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Gosh, NO bannings.

The subject is free to expose inanities.

Voltaire would approve – disagree, but fight to the death to support their right to be stupid.

If only the socialist nationalists would be so truly liberal with us, if only.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 5:20 PM

EXACTLY!

Amen, brother.

Saltysam on February 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I’m actually a woman (no worries though – people often think I’m a man in print, for some reason…must be the way I write).

Today is the anniversary of the Iwo Jima flag-raising. My dad was there, wounded in action. (I was born much later – the youngest of a bunch of kids.)

He is gone now, but I will see him again. And I will not be ashamed to face him. I will not throw away what he did for me like it’s so much trash, by cowering to tyranny.

I have a right to be an armed AMERICAN citizen.

And I will be an AMERICAN – in the way the Founders intended me to be – even if/when my government turns on me.

I’m not doing anything wrong. They are.

If they’re going to start executing people over plastic and springs – as has been suggested by those willing to comply with whatever they demand – it’s over anyway.

capitalist piglet on February 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Jazz Shaw on February 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I don’t really object to their being here, although I did tell the pissant to go back the Daily Kos. That was merely my way of trying to insult the malignancy.

What I object to is their voting.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 23, 2013 at 5:23 PM

capitalist piglet, this is indicative of the state of the state.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM

capitalist piglet on February 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM

My dad was a Corpsman on Iwo, and he was only 19. And, before Iwo, he made landings in the Marshall Islands, Guam, Saipan, Leyte and Luzon.

He, too, is gone. But, he knew that this would happen in our country. He smelled the stench of Socialism, when he was a Finance major in college, after the war.

He knew this was coming.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM

capitalist piglet, this is indicative of the state of the state.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM

But Michael Jackson’s microscopic strap would sell for ten times that.

We’re in trouble.

capitalist piglet on February 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Oh, and the only thing that Zero ever got right – and not by intent – was the use of “Corpseman.”

My dad saw far too many American corpses. As did yours.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM

He knew this was coming.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM

We have much in common then. My dad was a Doc too. PhM2c, attached to the 4th Marine Division.

And he saw it coming as well. Fought it until the day he died.

I won’t let him down.

capitalist piglet on February 23, 2013 at 5:30 PM

..OEYC….

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM

???

Saltysam on February 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM

capitalist piglet on February 23, 2013 at 5:30 PM

When I see anything about Iwo Jima, I get a lump in my throat. I think about what our dad’s saw, and carried with them all of their lives – in dignity.

When I was a little boy, the American flag always reminded me of the Iwo flag raising. It gave me goose-bumps.

Now, it only reminds me of a bunch of political pigs in perpetuity – inside of the Beltway – lording over us and dictating to us, while they drape themselves in that same flag.

OhEssYouCowboys on February 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM

???

Saltysam on February 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM

That’s me.

:O)

OhEssYouCowboys on February 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I’ll tell you what; I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that I misunderstood you if you will extend to me the same courtesy.

LegendHasIt on February 23, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Fair enough.

LevinFan on February 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on February 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I hear you.

My dad was in a group hit by mortar fire. He had shrapnel permanently embedded very near his spine that threatened paralysis his whole life.

Whatever I must go through to preserve my American liberty, it will never be as bad as what he faced.

capitalist piglet on February 23, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Went to a pro gun rally in Salem this AM. Your article has gone viral, The Oregon resistance is alive and growing. The reps,Senators Governor are going to be put on the spot and answer for this abomination. This issue will not go away and the libs have forgotten who they picked a fight with. Just who the he!! do these people think they are? There will be no compliance and we will push for arrest and incarceration of anyone who even attempts to break the constitutional law of the land. Our Sheriff has made it quite clear where he stands, if any one of these gun grabbing morons shows up at our door, they will be in direct violation of the Constitution and will be subjected to arrest.In other words pass all the bills you want, piZZ and moan, you have been rendered powerless, because the Constitution still stands, and that law rules supreme. I have yet to hear who exactly they are going to send around door to door, the Sheriff has said No Way, I suggest lots of insurance and body bags will be in order. Is this against the Constitution Well just for starters unlawful searches and seizures,infringement of the peoples right to bear arms, unlawful imprisonment, extortion.

stormridercx4 on February 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM

The gun grabbers are taking it one step at a time.

First they require registration of every weapon and magazine.

Then they come to “inspect”.

Guess what happens next, the next time they get an elected majority.

Eventually they hope to get five on the Supreme Court who will support nationwide confiscation.

farsighted on February 23, 2013 at 5:52 PM

this is so insane. imagine the founding fathers’ reaction to this…

this country is going in the exact opposite direction as what they intended. it’s really sad.

(c) Surrender your rights to a law enforcement agency for destruction;

fixed it.

The paranoia of gun nuts is amazing.

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

actually the paranoia of gun haters is amazing. they think that guns are evil demon creatures that get up on their own, walk around, and shoot people all by themselves.

Sachiko on February 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on February 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Heh!

Saltysam on February 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Punishes by maximum penalty of 10 years’ imprisonment, $250,000 fine, or both.

For owning a high capacity magazine? Isn’t that about the same penalty for making an illegal copy of a DVD?

Who says libs and lefties are soft on “crime”?

farsighted on February 23, 2013 at 5:57 PM

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

What another troll with a simplistic rant? Really?/

Lester would be proud of you.

CW on February 23, 2013 at 6:00 PM

stormridercx4 on February 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Keep us up to date on what is going on, on the ground. What we can do to help etc…

Thanks!

Godspeed.

Saltysam on February 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM

stormridercx4 on February 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Great to hear, thanks for sharing!

LevinFan on February 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Remember the republicans in Oregon who support this bill:

Representatives BAILEY, BUCKLEY, DEMBROW, FREDERICK, READ, REARDON, TOMEI, Senators , DINGFELDER, HASS, MONNES- ANDERSON, MONROE, SHIELDS, STEINER- HAYWARD.

Amjean on February 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Remember them.

SCOTUS said ” COMMON USE ARMS MAY NOT BE BANNED “.

This law would be illegal before it even passed.

TX-96 on February 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM

We have to stop quoting the SCOTUS as though they are the reason we are free. Because tomorrow it may just as well strike down the 2nd amendment as well as every single other. Then what do people do? Go back to their houses and suck their thumbs and cry “Oh well, I guess SCOTUS now says we’re not free.”

Our freedoms come from God! That is the foundation that we stand on!
Oregon passes this law it will not end there! The libs will not be happy or satisfied! If tomorrow Obama and the congress confiscate all of our guns.. they will not be happy or satisfied! That will not end their attacks on our families, on our homes and on our lives! It will only get worse and continue and go on and on until there is nothing recognizable left in this country! To still call it America will be meaningless! And I do believe, at some point in the future should they succeed at all they want to do, our constitution will be rewritten with our without a convention and they will create a new flag! And half the nation will freaking applaud!

My father fought in WWII! He would be appalled at what it has become!

I don’t care what the freaking polls say! I still believe as of this day, we have not lost the majority of people in America! What we have lost are leaders!

People better start praying! I still believe God has not given up on America. There is always a remnant, the bible says. But what do we expect when we have thrown him out of our schools and out of our lives!

JellyToast on February 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Watch this and don’t let it happen to the American people.

Property and life in bondage ain’t worth it.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Brilliant vid. Thanks for posting.

stormridercx4 on February 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Yes, indeed. Hope you keep us updated with the efforts on the ground to defeat this.

Thanks and Godspeed!

PatriotGal2257 on February 23, 2013 at 6:16 PM

This is all becoming very surreal.

Sackett on February 23, 2013 at 6:23 PM

capitalist piglet on February 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Please excuse my faux pas, sister.

I agree.

Our natural rights are not negotiable. Any attempts to strip us of our natural rights is a violation of the law. Politicians are clearly prohibited from such acts.

They are being insubordinate.

They are the scofflaws.

They are in the act of rebellion.

Let the cards fall.

Saltysam on February 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM

And taking up arms to overthrow the gov’t should be a last resort. Have we banded together to fight through the legal system against all these unconstitutional laws? I think not. Maybe we should go that route before taking up arms.

LevinFan on February 23, 2013 at 1:14 PM

So, you wrote this back on page three and maybe you’ve answered a question like mine as I’ve not caught up to page 6 here…

Say this law is passed here in Oregon. It will become law IMMEDIATELY and I will have four months (120 days) to comply with it in the listed ways. Can you get a legal team together and go through courts in time? More than likely, I will technically leave the state if it does pass, making my legal residence in another state until I can finish up business to move permanently. Likely I will leave the more liberal part of the state I live in and go south near family, where given local politics I will have more time before the gov starts grabbing weapons and searching houses before moving to another state. I’m lucky in that currently I have the ability to do that, most here do not.

I have no faith that the courts/gov won’t stall any court challenges beyond that four months. When that law passes, I will be a felon in four months time, just for owning a few pistols (some in .22) and .22 rifles that will be deemed “assault rifles”. The law is so broadly written that it is very likely I could only be allowed to register one rifle or handgun and three mags after going through a second background check (begging for permission of a supposed natural right to self defense).

You can argue all you want about Dorner with Swalker, to me its a moot point. Once the cops shot up two innocent cars and their owners/passenger, any sympathy or trust I had in cops there went out the door. Trusting that even if you haven’t shot anyone and surrender that the gov won’t toss you into a dark hole, psych hospital and demonize you etc. is foolish given the way this law has been written and the actions of the gov/media in the past.

To put it simply, you still trust the “rule of law”, I do not. We have rule of man, not rule of law. This Oregon bill would give the state police the power to write the regulations on what is “safe storage”.

oryguncon on February 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM

oryguncon on February 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM

The law sucks, one of the worst ever written no doubt.

Who knows if a legal team could be put together in team. Still worth a shot isn’t?

I’ll throw it back at you:

Say you couldn’t move and had to stay in Oregon. If they came for your guns what would you do? Refuse and go to jail for 10 years? Or shoot at the comes and most likely get killed.

See there’s no easy answer. That’s why I see we need to exhaust every possible legal and political option.

LevinFan on February 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM

keep the change on February 23, 2013

…*spit*

KOOLAID2 on February 23, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Do you want to live without honor and courage, in a Warsaw ghetto just waiting until the man comes for you? Or do you stand now for what is right?

We are at the Colonel Travis moment in history.
Then, with a flourish, Travis drew his sword and slowly marked a line in the dirt. “I now want every man who is determined to stay here and die with me to come across this line.” So what are you willing to do?

Too much blood and tears has been paid for our freedom and liberty, to turn our back on this great country and lay down without a fight, now it maybe our turn to face a tyrannical dictator, so do you step across the line? I know my choice, I WILL NOT COMPLY !

stormridercx4 on February 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Property and life in bondage ain’t worth it.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM

thousands of welfare queens nationwide beg to differ…

affenhauer on February 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM

We are but 2 generations past some of the greatest instances of government sponsored mass murder the world has ever known. Have we evolved so much that this is no longer feasible? There are plenty of camp survivors still around who would answer with a resounding no. I have one left in my family. And there are individuals around who would carry out like schemes if they could.

yobobbyb on February 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM

LevinFan on February 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Of course there is an easy answer LevinFan. I’d shoot at those who attempt to seize my property/guns. Oh, depending on the situation I might surrender to live to fight another day but I would shoot at them ultimately. This is my line in the sand.

You talk about 10 round mag limits as no big deal compared to one’s life but if you look at the history of gun laws in this country, mostly post 1934 with the NFA law its been a slow death of self defense rights. This isn’t just a magazine ban, they proposed that a few weeks ago, only to abandon it and produce this monstrosity. A law that objectively bans all semi-auto guns with more than 10 round magazine capability, calls them assault weapons and says you can only have 1 gun with 3 magazines if you register them and submit to random searches.

We’ve exhausted most of the legal avenues. We’ve put up with restrictions, rules that have done mostly nothing to protect people from harm (except the government) and the goverment class wants to ban more and more items. The end point is obvious now, there is no wiggle room.

oryguncon on February 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM

They don’t want to take your guns away until they want to take your guns away. Anyone with half a milliwatt of brain power knew this all along. Any gun owner that votes for a Democrat probably has less than half a milliwatt of brain power and deserves whatever they get.

While the ninnies in Oregon our pushing this tyrannical crap out here in Montana there’s a whole slew of bills in the legislature to ELIMINATE the few gun laws we do have and to NULLIFY whatever oppressive, stupid federal laws that might happen to come along.

Would I move to a place where it’s winter 7 months out of the year and work for half the pay? I already did! Back in the sixties when everyone was talking about freedom I was serious!

claudius on February 23, 2013 at 8:29 PM

They are not free citizens; they are subjects of the Queen.

claudius on February 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM

If the D’s can associate every R with Akin & Mourdock in 2012, I see no reason why every US congressional D up in 2014 shouldn’t have to answer for these tyrants.

crrr6 on February 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Alex Jones would be proud of you nuts. Small-minded paranoid simpletons. People like you don’t deserve freedom because you don’t realize where it comes from. It doesn’t come from the barrel of the peashooter you keep in your closet, I can tell you that.

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

When it comes down to it sometimes you just have to put on your boots, pick up your weapon and go to war. Nobody wants to; it’s just the way things are. It won’t change because people have iPhones and every other damned thing, and it won’t change because the government has drones and a shitload of security police.

claudius on February 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM

People like you don’t deserve freedom…

That’s the way the shit starts every time.

claudius on February 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Freedom comes from a nation of civilized people with pea-shooters, not pea-brained automatons like yourself.

crrr6 on February 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Where does “freedom” come from wise one?

arnold ziffel on February 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Others disagree.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.” — George Mason

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed” — Noah Webster

“Being unarmed, among the other harm it brings you, causes you to be despised.” — Niccolo Machiavelli

“A sword is never a killer; it is a tool in the killer’s hands.” — Seneca

“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them.” — Thomas Jefferson

“That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer’s cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” — George Orwell

“If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves.” — Joseph Stalin

“Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.” – Mao Zedong

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?… The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin’s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If…if…We didn’t love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation…. We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

sharrukin on February 23, 2013 at 9:09 PM

crrr6 on February 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Bet his wife knows who she can’t can’t count on when trouble comes.

arnold ziffel on February 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM

+1. Bunch of small minded simpletons like Thomas Jefferson:

“What country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.”

- Jefferson to William Smith, November 13, 1787

(Please note the .gov in the link.)

rogerb on February 23, 2013 at 9:27 PM

This is the sneering voice of sociopathic evil:

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Translation: We’re taking your guns and there’s nothing you can do about it; if you openly discuss it, we’ll smear you as mentally ill.

You’re a prime example of why Americans – real Americans who believe in America as founded, not brainwashed proggie freaks – would be foolish to trust you with anything, let alone our security.

Sneer all you want, you stick-poking punk. You won’t even have a peashooter.

Then what are you going to do?

capitalist piglet on February 23, 2013 at 9:29 PM

And SWAT members never ever ever ever lie or even fib in the slightest, right? Right?

Nutstuyu on February 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM

The autopsy report didn’t.

You’ll notice that Dorner’s mum isn’t contesting his findings.

Resist We Much on February 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM

This article that someone posted yesterday on another thread pretty much says it all. We’re on our own, and we have no one to rely upon but ourselves, and we have to figure a way to do something about it.

PatriotGal2257 on February 23, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Just for the record, “this article” is a Forbes piece by Angelo Codevilla, whose book The Character of Nations is an excellent compendium of all the issues in play in the nation, especially those batted about here on HA.

AesopFan on February 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Since you bring it up, and since we’re bright, informed, and interested participants in this discussion:

We apparently hold drastically different views on rights and liberty. I’m genuinely curious on where you think freedom comes from.

rogerb on February 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM

–sharrukin on February 23, 2013 at 9:09 PM–

Perfectly presented.

While the progressive left may say that the courts are sufficient to protect our freedoms one only has to look to Venezuela to see the flaw in this logic. While in theory there were constitutional rights in Venezuela, once Chavez had replaced most of the court members with his ilk, constitutional rights disappeared and Chavez got authorized to rule by decree. Who is to say the courts are beyond corruption if the progressive left controls the system long enough. Look at Chicago where so many on the courts were corrupted by long term one party rule.

KW64 on February 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

You wingnuts ask: “Where does it come from?”
I dunno. I guess from 0bama’s Stash!
/keep it strange on February 23, 2013 at 9:30 PM

LegendHasIt on February 23, 2013 at 10:49 PM

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

One of the stupidest comments ever made on HA. That you are allowed to vote is dangerous, indeed.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

This dummy makes a gnat appear Einsteinian.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Good grief, keep the change. Why don’t you MOVE to one of those countries instead of trying to change America into them? Do you go around arranging everyone else’s food into equal portions, too, control freak?

John the Libertarian on February 24, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM

You should add that even Russia just last month said that the worst thing we could do is get rid of 2A.

riddick on February 24, 2013 at 1:01 AM

One of the stupidest comments ever made on HA. That you are allowed to vote is dangerous, criminal indeed.

Schadenfreude on February 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Fixed it for greater clarity.

riddick on February 24, 2013 at 1:06 AM

rogerb on February 23, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Now that I’ve had the chance to sleep on it, I think I see your point. I apologize for being so simplistic and small-minded about it.

Freedom has something to do with urine and vomit, right?

rogerb on February 24, 2013 at 7:27 AM

The funny thing is that even that “urine and vomit” rape prevention list tells where freedom comes from:

Yelling, hitting or biting may give you a chance to escape, do it!

Note especially the last two words.

Because only small-minded paranoid simpletons don’t want to be raped.

rogerb on February 24, 2013 at 7:34 AM

This will be the final overreach and undoing of Democrat’s, so I encourage them to keep pursuing it ignominiously and without intellectual or factual interruption.

For years, Democrats have sold a large portion of their electorate on fear and loathing. It has become the sine qua non of their campaigns and governance strategy. But in their quest for power, they have attempted to take more from every one of us- including Democrats. People see it. They realize they have become dupes or pawns used by others for nefarious ends.

Under the encouragement of Mr. Obama, Democrats have made their neighbors the enemy. Envy, loathing and outright hate have replaced simple political or philosophical differences which we at one time discussed or argued in a respectful way.

But under-girding that was a common American bond which kept us working towards the same objectives in different ways. A better future for our children, growing prosperity and creating a society that would lift us all to a better life. Not a perfect world- that is the big lie. There is no perfection in this world. No utopia. No fully achievable good. Just a move in that direction subject to human conditions and its limits.

Gun control is simply another, and hopefully the final chapter in this story. These laws ultimately serve no purpose, directly conflict with our Constitutional rights and intrude on the very basis of our democracy.

This issue represents the ultimate lie in that it lucidly shows the limits of human governmental power and exposes Liberal Democrats quixotic quest for despotism. Witness the continued lack of facts and intellectual scrutiny. The lack of clearly achievable goals. The simply articulated constitutional basis and reasoning. In place of that we have demagoguery and demonization. Even in this thread.

No, this isn’t wise or well-intentioned. It will fail in its primary purpose because it cannot withstand intellectual scrutiny and uses fallaciously reasoned outcomes. It appeals to emotion, not intellect.

Democrats will not be able to hide from that reality and their day of reckoning is drawing closer. I for one will applaud that coup de grace.

Marcus Traianus on February 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I have just read thru all 6 pages of comments.

The commonality is this:

Our God Given Rights!

The Constitution!

Fear is the great equalizer.

There are those who fear giving up everything to maintain peace.

There are those who fear dying for our rights.

There are those who want to take this step by step until every avenue has been exhausted.

And there are those willing to fight and die.

To put oneself in a position to die for true freedom takes a belief that freedom is worth dying for.

I am not a natural born american, and yet, when push comes to shove, I would take up arms to defend our rights, to the death if need be.

I am at peace with that thought and with God.

I understand exactly what SW is saying, had he but mentioned the fact that cops shot up 2 women his whole point would have made better sense, we can’t think of everything in the heat of the moment.

So many of you here all have made valid points, with the exception of a few trolls, the idiots, we all know who they are :-).

Does it matter whether one is a con a neo-con a paleo-con a fiscal-con or a combination of con/libertarian or a repub? Does it? Not really in the big scheme of things. (I effing hate labels)…

There are just a few fundamental principles that bind us, bound us together.

THAT is what we should all come together for and fight for.

Why bicker amonst ourselves eh?

We express our thoughts and convictions, we ‘pool’ our ideas and remedies… we need to pool ourselves.

Talking on the local level to elected officials is a beginning, but how good is it? Do even they listen?

Many states have Sheriffs who are willing to DEFY the gov’t, what about the town/city cops? The Highway patrol officers?

There is no simple answer. We are not being heard we are being ignored.

Every avenue has to be exhausted. What is happening in Oregon is a test of the mettle of the people. Same as in a few other states, we are being tested folks! How much will we take? How far can they push this?

I am not the brightest spark here nor am I the most vocal nor am I the most articulate.

One thing for sure is, I do speak from my heart.

The time for us to quit bickering amongst ourselves is now.

We need to take full advantage of this blog.

My heart goes out to those whose familes have been here for generations and whose relatives have fought for this country.

God Bless them all!

We can win this thing. We can.

God Bless folks :-)

Scrumpy on February 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM

k

eep the change on February 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Another low life goverment employee or scumbag union type. Only concerned for it’s narrow, selfish interests. No concern about whether his kids and grandkids will work their entire life to pay off this debt and have no freedoms or liberties left to pass on.

of course, this is the type of vermin that never served a day in the military and odds are his family was awol for all of the conflicts of the last century. Of course, that didn’t keep them from carpetbagging off of all of us.

Screw you and all of your lib,socialist, communist brethren.

acyl72 on February 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM

This gun nut subculture is a product of a mental illness.

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Expecting our elected officials in government to take care of us, “is a product of a mental illness.”

“Those willing to trade freedom for a sense of better security, deserve NEITHER.”

listens2glenn on February 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM

keep the change on February 23, 2013 at 8:50 PM

What a naive statement. Are you like 18?

CW on February 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Mama always said that “stupid is as stupid does”.
I was betting that NY would be the first to decide if the 2nd meant anything; but it looks like the stupider Blue states are trying hard to be the first to go full Civil War II.
We, the III, will not take one step backward.
We won’t start it, but we will finish it.
If I were LE, I would be filing my retirement papers as fast as my little feet could get me there.
Some of these folks are going to be experiencing that”reach out and touch someone” feeling from a long way off.
They keep talking about black scary rifles, when daddy’s high-powered deer gun; one of millions in the country, is a much bigger danger to the political class.
You know, the biggest question in an insurgent war is “WHO DO YOU TRUST”?
In the sandbox, we answered that question with “kill them all and let God sort it out”.
Buy ammo, food and fuel….and Toilet Paper.
Get your communications strategy worked out….cell phones and internet will be run by the Marxists. CB or Ham.
We either end up with a Constitution or 25 million dead.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
III/0317

dirtengineer on February 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM

This is a little long but please all you gun control Fools tell us again how women should protect themselves:

Amanda Collins is a young rape survivor. While in college in 2007, she was raped 50 feet away from the campus police department office at the University of Nevada-Reno and was lucky to get out alive. Her attacker was James Biela, a serial rapist who raped two other women and murdered another. He attacked her at gun point in a gun free zone. At the time of the attack, Collins was in possession of a concealed weapons permit but was not in possession of her firearm due to university policies prohibiting carrying concealed weapons on campus. She was also a second degree blackbelt at the time and walked to the parking garage with a large group of people. Today, Collins did an interview with NRA News host Cam Edwards to tell her horrific story. She explained why Colorado Democratic Rep. Joe Salazar’s comments about call boxes and rape whistles being sufficient self defense for women on campus will only result in more uncessary victims.

“If I had been carrying that night, two other rapes would have been prevented and a young life would have been saved,” Collins said. “All of these are just sentiments that give a false sense of security. In my experience I know that the university that I attended, the University of Nevada-Reno, they didn’t didn’t have any call boxes the night I was attacked. They afterwards installed them but I can tell you that a call box above my head while I was straddled on the parking garage floor being brutally raped wouldn’t have helped me one bit. The safe zone? I was in a safe zone and my attacker didn’t care,” Collins said. “It’s known that I could see the police cruisers less than 50 feet away from me, from where I was being attacked but the moment I saw those cruisers, I knew at the same time that no one was coming for me….they were all off duty. The offices had closed. They weren’t in their cruisers, there was no one there. A whistle wouldn’t have gotten anybody’s attention. It was isolated, it was late at night. It’s really frustrating that I’m supposed to hand over my own protection to a man but they’re not able to guarantee our protection and the comments that this representative made about women not knowing if they’re going to be raped or accidentally shooting the wrong person was extremely offensive because he specifically targeted female students. So, is he saying that all women are unable to make sound decisions in the midst of that, that we should go against our God given gut instinct that something was wrong? I knew something was wrong the moment I was grabbed from behind.”

Red-tape and university policies led to this happening and empowered Biela while punishing Collins.

“I was legislated into being a victim,” Collins said.

stormridercx4 on February 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Identify and talk with like minded individuals. Develop a plan should SHTF and pick a defend-able location. There is strength in numbers and a million individuals do not stand much of a chance. Should peaceful resistance or the courts fail to provide any barrier, the time of action will become evident. The government will also quickly take over control of all forms of media including internet. This is why conversations need to occur now so everyone in one the same page.

trs on February 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM