Biden’s questioner: His answer on shotguns was pretty sexist

posted at 7:01 pm on February 23, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

I admit that of all the problems AP and did point out in Joe Biden’s spectacularly ignorant advice on home defense, this is one point we both missed.  Isn’t just a bit patronizing to have a man tell a little lady how she should defend herself while treating her concern over self-defense as something of a joke?  Kate Ernest, the little lady who posed the question of firepower in a defensive situation to Biden, certainly thinks so (via The Corner and TPM):

The female questioner who prompted Joe Biden’s advice, in the course of a Facebook town hall on Tuesday, to “buy a shotgun,” called the vice president’s remarks “a little sexist” and described them as “the poorest advice he could give anyone.” Kate Ernest told Fox News’ Megyn Kelly that because a double-barreled shotgun only has two rounds, anyone who followed Biden’s advice would be “a sitting duck” after firing both rounds. Biden told Ernest that he had advised his wife, Jill, to “fire two blasts outside the house” in the event of danger.

“I think it was poor advice, and it comes off a little sexist,” Ernest added. “Like, ‘Let me tell you what you need’ versus, you know, ‘Arm yourself or protect yourself in a way that you feel necessary.’”

Frankly, this is where the activism of gun rights should focus — the Kate Ernests of America.  The messaging from gun-rights organizations has focused on the historical reasons for the Second Amendment, particularly on the prevention of a tyrannical government, but those reasons only resonate with the already-converted.  They don’t speak to where most people live now, in this age, where the Second Amendment has the most practical application in self-defense.  With women being the fastest-growing demographic of gun owners, why keep talking about men who died centuries ago?  Start talking about women living in today’s world who need to defend themselves rather than wait to see whether they have enough time to even call 911 before being attacked, raped, and/or murdered.  That will make the patronizing and often sexist undertones of gun control all the more apparent while reaching the unconverted.

The NRA’s Wayne LaPierre will speak at 10 ET tonight about the push for universal background checks and the NRA position on those proposals.  The live stream is embedded below, and I’m told that the NRA will be shifting its message more toward what I wrote above.  Here’s a pretty good example of the direction they’ll be going with their NRA Womens’ Network:

Stay positive and focused on women and self-defense. That’s a winning strategy. Let’s see if LaPierre sticks with that tonight.

Comments

I’ll agree to universal background checks for firearms when we have universal background checks for immigration status on all traffic stops.

Wigglesworth on February 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM

The messaging from gun-rights organizations has focused on the historical reasons for the Second Amendment, particularly on the prevention of a tyrannical government, but those reasons only resonate with the already-converted. They don’t speak to where most people live now, in this age, where the Second Amendment has the most practical application in self-defense.

Good point, Ed. I stubbornly insist that people understand the main reason for 2A, but from a political messaging POV, you’re 100% on target.

petefrt on February 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I concur with Wigglesworth…not only that but obama would have to submit himself and pass……

crosshugger on February 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM

This was on the TPM site comments section. I don’t know if it is really her.

kathryn.ernest@gmail.com • a day ago −
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the comments about me, (Kate Ernest.) I was approached by Fox news yesterday, although I have to tell you all that I am, not a republican-nor democrat, but simply a person who believes in civil rights of all kinds. I don’t think that it is my business to assess what others should
be allowed to do or practice in their private lives, and I also feel that our government is stepping too far into the personal lives of the people who occupy this country. The sexist comment which was simply to imply that if a man had asked the same question, he would have received a decent answer vs. the
ridciulous suggestion Mr. Biden responded with, has been blown out of proportion
(as expected.)

Originally I did not even know that my question on Parents Magazine’s forum had been asked-nor answered, until I received emails from Inside Edition and Fox
News. I still do not understand why anyone cared what I think, but I was willing to (for free) answer whatever questions they wanted to ask.

For those who have asked I DO own my own AR15, as well as a 9mm with a 33 round clip (which is my primary home protection piece.) I do feel like in a panic situation, having extra rounds is never going to put a person at a disadvantage. Not to mention the recoil of any shotgun is a lot for me to personally handle, or even want to shoot.

As someone who has never even had a traffic ticket, I just don’t see why removing those types of weapons from my home-would help fight against violent crimes. Instead, I was suggesting that only criminals would then have these weapons, and people in general, not me specifically-will be outgunned in a potentially harmful situation.

I also wanted to clarify that I have been in no way “planted,” nor am I affiliated with the NRA or any other organization (although my fiance’ truly wishes I was.) This gave me a good laugh, and people are giving me more credit than I deserve. I am just a light-hearted, crafty, average, stay-at-home mother who loves my family and is skilled in how to defend my family against a threat;
real or potentially unlikely. Either way, we tuck our beautiful daughter in at night-and feel safe that we can protect her from anything that ‘could’ come about.

Thanks for the laughs-I never thought I would ever have comments about me…for any reason on the internet-but it sure is a hoot! I will be happy to return to my normal schedule of playdates, swim lessons, starbucks, and naptime!
:) haha.

Wigglesworth on February 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Testimony out of Washington has shown that the much vaunted NICS background check has so many holes it in due to lack of participation from many states, what makes the libs think a “universal” background check will be any better?

The People’s Republik of Kalifornia’s own DOJ has a 3 year BACKLOG of cases representing 19,200 people. They can’t readily enforce the laws on the books now.

Why give them even more laws to ignore?

GarandFan on February 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM

NRA Women’s Network… Katie Francis… AWESOME.

Hey, let’s just turn over the entire GOP messaging unit to the NRA.

petefrt on February 23, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Stay positive and focused on women and self-defense. That’s a winning strategy.

Totally agree, Ed.

Robert_Paulson on February 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Biden shot his mouth off again..

Electrongod on February 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Armed and FABULOUS?

The gays are into the 2nd Amendment now too?

Cleombrotus on February 23, 2013 at 7:42 PM

…stick the shotgun barrel up Biden’s butt!
…make sure there’s no gun oil on it!

KOOLAID2 on February 23, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Stolen from somewhere: All a woman needs for self-defense is a shotgun and a balcony.

mchristian on February 23, 2013 at 7:53 PM

…and then what?…faint and tell him you have VD?

KOOLAID2 on February 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM

…stick the shotgun barrel up Biden’s butt!
…make sure there’s no gun oil on it!

KOOLAID2 on February 23, 2013 at 7:43 PM

This crosses the boundaries of decorum and common sense. Whether or not a crime has been committed will be up to the authorities.

Capitalist Hog on February 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM

excerpt: Ed Morrisey

Party-pooper here.

If home defense IN URBAN AREAS is going to be the focus of “selling” the Second Amendment, then the “Great-Gaff-Machine” is partially right as pertains to a shotgun being the best firearm of choice. However, his advice on “shooting a couple rounds out the back window, to frighten off a would be intruder” registers VERY low on the intelligence-meter.

The number one justification for private ownership & possession of AR15s with military capacity magazines, IS defying and resisting a tyrannical government.

You’re going to have a difficult time selling the idea of possessing semi-auto civilian models of military rifles, with military capacity magazines, IF home defense for women is all that’s being emphasized.

listens2glenn on February 23, 2013 at 8:09 PM

…and then what?…faint and tell him you have VD?

KOOLAID2 on February 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM

One if by land, Two if by sea.

Electrongod on February 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Wigglesworth on February 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Universal background checks seem on the surface so sensible, but only on the surface. Once you understand they lead inevitably to universal gun registration and then from there to universal gun confiscation, you probably decide the costs outweigh the benefits.

Let’s brainstorm for alternatives, measures that might accomplish most of the same worthy goals without advancing the prospect of a gun ownership registry.

A preliminary idea: Random background checks with heavy penalties for falsification of applicant data. Gun purchasers answer questionnaires about their background knowing that their answers will be randomly checked and if found to be intentionally falsified, they’ll get a heavy punishment. Because the penalties are heavy, they’ll think twice before falsifying their info. Because it’s random, say one of ten or one of a hundred, it’s not that useful for constructing a universal gun registry. (Also, the statute should require annual or semi-annual destruction of all info, and maybe put the entire procedure in the hands of a private contractor.)

Sure, this is subject to the same flaw of any gun background check legislation; namely, criminals will not bother themselves with it. But still, it largely avoids the threat of universal gun registration, while accomplishing most of the purported objectives of the background check advocates.

As I see it, once they get gun registration, the game is all but finished. They can ban “assault” rifles or whatever they want, but the threat to 2A from that kind of restriction is not nearly equal to the threat from universal gun registration.

petefrt on February 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM

is it just me or does Wayne LaPierre look a bit like a pedobear?

nonpartisan on February 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM

…stick the shotgun barrel up Biden’s butt!
…make sure there’s no gun oil on it!

KOOLAID2 on February 23, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Capitalist Hog on February 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM

You know I love you, KOOLAID’ … but the Secret Service is probably contacting Ed right now, for your personal information.

listens2glenn on February 23, 2013 at 8:14 PM

is it just me or does Wayne LaPierre look a bit like a pedobear?

nonpartisan on February 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Did you just invent a new word? Or maybe I’m not enough of “a man of the world?”

listens2glenn on February 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM

But I thought all white people were evil .

WhatSlushfund on February 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Do you use the shotgun before or after you have tried projectile vomiting and urination?

pat on February 23, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Capitalist Hog on February 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM

(:->)…nonpartisan is sitting on about 18 inches of it right now!

KOOLAID2 on February 23, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Somebody doesn’t live in NY, Cali, or Oregon.

RickB on February 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Everybody here knows you’re OK. But we’re not the only ones watching. Be sure of that.

Capitalist Hog on February 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM

for your personal information.

listens2glenn on February 23, 2013 at 8:14 PM

…believe me!…I’m sure every government agency has that, right now!…I’ve written enough letters to the editors in our local papers over the years telling people exactly what I think of local and national politics or politicians… that they have all of my information! Started in my early 20′s, when the honorable Coleman Young was Mayor of Detroit…and I lived in Detroit…finding ‘parking violation’ tickets on my windshield…for ‘parking more than six inches from the STREET curb’…when my car was parked in my driveway! They thought they would wear me out having to take time to go to court… also had my city water turned off ‘by mistake’ amongst other things…
…I still get the 2 or 3 AM phone calls from ‘wierdos’ after a scathing editorial piece periodically…sometimes ‘free speech’ is more involved than one thinks!

KOOLAID2 on February 23, 2013 at 8:59 PM

pat on February 23, 2013 at 8:25 PM

After. Otherwise you get slammed for a gun crime.

Advice to women: Drink lots of tea before walking in public.

petefrt on February 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Will be very smart to put some emphasis on women. Women have been Dem voters for the most part. This women and guns issue could shake that apart. I live in a very blue state and women’s gun classes are packed and have waiting lists. I also think it was smart in the begining to talk about tyranny as the main point of the 2nd ammendment. Tyranny is simply extreme, warped patronization. Previously, discussions were always about hunting rights. This gun issue is a great opportunity to defeat Obama and dems in a big way. We can expose their patronizing attitude towards women, and show that tendency towards patronizing is the same attitude that drives the dems to massive government control over all citizens.

Charm on February 23, 2013 at 9:09 PM

listens2glenn on February 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Whatever a pedobear is…nonpartisan is one.

22044 on February 23, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Charm on February 23, 2013 at 9:09 PM

petefrt on February 23, 2013 at 9:19 PM

is it just me or does Wayne LaPierre look a bit like a pedobear?

nonpartisan on February 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM

We all know who reads like one.

CurtZHP on February 23, 2013 at 9:54 PM

My daughter has drill this weekend for the Air National Guard. She was in an active shooter class today and the class was asked what they should do if they’re at the mall and someone starts shooting.

Her answer: “Pull out my concealed carry gun and shoot him”.

Instructor’s reply (an LT): “I didn’t expect that answer from a girl”.

Sexism is alive and well.

Common Sense on February 23, 2013 at 10:06 PM

for your personal information.

listens2glenn on February 23, 2013 at 8:14 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 23, 2013 at 8:59 PM

” . . . . . Uhhh … no, officer … I’m not aware of any ‘comment posters’ at hotair.com, named “KOOLAID2.

BTW, are you still in the Detroit area?

listens2glenn on February 23, 2013 at 11:21 PM

is it just me or does Wayne LaPierre look a bit like a pedobear?
nonpartisan on February 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM

listens2glenn on February 23, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Whatever a pedobear is…nonpartisan is one.

22044 on February 23, 2013 at 9:15 PM

We all know who reads like one.

CurtZHP on February 23, 2013 at 9:54 PM

HEY ! … NONPERSON ! … WHAT’S A (expletive) “PEDOBEAR”? !
For all I know, Wayne LaPierre might really look like one, but how can I tell?

Plus, even if he does, what difference does it make?

listens2glenn on February 23, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I got nothin.

Good Lt on February 23, 2013 at 11:42 PM

BTW, are you still in the Detroit area?

listens2glenn on February 23, 2013 at 11:21 PM

…more like 30-40 miles from it…(Forbes rating aside)… we all say we are “from Detroit”…believe it or not.

KOOLAID2 on February 24, 2013 at 1:24 AM

is it just me or does Wayne LaPierre look a bit like a pedobear?

nonpartisan on February 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM

No it’s you. I wonder why?

pat on February 24, 2013 at 2:27 AM

This is one in the same thing. Defending yourself, whether it be from the government or an intruder into your home is one in the same, Ed. Can there be any doubt that this is what the Founders intended when they created the Second amendment, liberal drivel notwithstanding?

DevilsPrinciple on February 24, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Instructor’s reply (an LT): “I didn’t expect that answer from a girl”.

Sexism is alive and well.

Common Sense on February 23, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Too bad she couldn’t say I didn’t expect that response from an instructor, either.

DevilsPrinciple on February 24, 2013 at 5:28 AM

What ? A thread on a sexist comment by a politician and not one comment from our regular trolls???? Oh Biden’s a Democrat./

CW on February 24, 2013 at 8:31 AM

is it just me or does Wayne LaPierre look a bit like a pedobear?

nonpartisan on February 23, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Is it just me, or is changing the subject from the point someone is making to snide and apparently projected insinuations about his appearance, proof that you hate to admit that you find his argument unimpeachable?

Dirty Creature on February 24, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Hey, let’s just turn over the entire GOP messaging unit to the NRA.

petefrt on February 23, 2013 at 7:28 PM

You mean the group who supported and helped get elected Reid?

The NRA doesn’t care about America…they care about number of members, dues collected, they protect their jobs just like congress protects theirs…whatever, whomever, doesn’t matter, just keep the money flowing.
We use them when we need them…that is all the NRA is good for.

right2bright on February 24, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Not sure I would critize Biden for being sexist. His answer was both ignorant and patronizing, but that is the essence of today’s politician.

He is a prime example of an incompetent in a position of power, and he is surrounded by many more like-minded individuals who seek only public attention and its rewards.

Of course he delivered idiotic advice in an obnoxious way. Where is the opposition to this offesnive stupidity?

virgo on February 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM

It’s actually a little tricky to say that BIden is a sexist. He’s such a blowhard to everyone. So much condescension based on so little merit….

Let’s face it: this is exactly the same Joe Biden we saw in both VP debates. “Let me tell you something..”

No thanks, Joe. Based on past record, anything you have to say will probably be wrong.

There Goes The Neighborhood on February 25, 2013 at 1:35 AM