Video: MSNBC hosts really “sad” about Jesse Jackson Jr

posted at 9:21 pm on February 21, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

This morning, over a plate of coddled eggs and scrapple, I flipped on the television and watched some of Morning Joe. (There goes the quote for the first twenty comments…) At around the 6:30 mark, they broke into a short bit of coverage of Jesse Jackson jr. and his current legal woes. (Which I wrote about last weekend.) What happened next sent me into a bit of a rant on Twitter, declaring that I would certainly have to save that portion of the show and write something about it.

One of the nice things about Morning Joe is that they upload their show segments to their website each day so you can watch them later, and even clip and share portions of them on the web. But when I went back this afternoon to find it, lo and behold, it somehow didn’t make it into the archive. But thanks to my friend Noel Sheppard of Newsbusters, it has risen again on YouTube. Here’s the Morning Joe crew discussing the downfall of Jackson, complete with a clip from NBC’s coverage.

Scarborough: Former congressman Jesse Jackson’s facing jail time after pleading guilty to misusing hundreds of thousands of dollars of campaign funds. A tearful Jackson apologized to his family and friends. NBC’s justice correspondent Pete Wlliams takes us through this sad case.

[Video clip of Williams is played]

Mika: That was NBC’s Pete Williams reporting.
Scarborough: It’s a sad story. Harold, you served with Jesse. As did I.
Harold Ford: I know Jesse. It’s sad. I know the family well. My prayers go out to his kids and to the entire family. And I hope there is another chapter in his life.
Mika: I hope they can turn it around.
Scarborough: Yeah.

That’s about the moment when my head exploded, ruining what was otherwise a perfectly nice, Thursday morning breakfast. At what point did this become a “sad story” exactly? The criminal was caught and brought to justice. The system worked. Aren’t we generally happy about that? To reiterate what I was ranting about on Twitter, this guy stole nearly a million dollars from the people of his district, many of whom live below the poverty level! Was anybody “sad” when Bernie Madoff got caught? Was anyone praying for “a new chapter” in Madoff’s life where he would “turn things around?”

And before any of you Jackson loving sycophants get all up in arms over the comparison, there is virtually zero difference between Bernie Madoff and Jesse Jackson jr. except in terms of scale. Madoff stole money from innocent people looking to invest in the future for their retirement. Jackson stole money from working class people willing to invest in the future of their state and country by supporting somebody promising to make their future better. They are the same. Madoff was just better at it.

And while we’re on the topic, what prompted Joe to choose the word “misused” regarding the missing funds? They weren’t “misused,” Joe. They were stolen and spent on Rolex watches, stuffed animal heads, Michael Jackson’s guitar and a huge list of additional swag. Misusing campaign funds is when you authorize a payment to a consultant or pollster who isn’t registered properly. This was theft to finance his own lifestyle above and beyond his means, plain and simple.

As I said on Twitter, there is only one reason Jackson was getting the soft sell here and that’s the fact that he’s a Democrat. If he were a Republican this would have been bigger news than Dillinger getting gunned down. But because of his name and his famous father, he’s now some sort of sympathetic figure who has fallen from grace. Sorry, but I’m not buying it. He’s a crook and he’s going to jail. Good riddance.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Very sad – what crap.

disa on February 21, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Affirmative Action Nation.

CW on February 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Okay that screen cap just made me spit my Diet Pepsi all over my monitor.

I hope Bubba is waiting for Junior.

gophergirl on February 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Why did my post disappear?

disa on February 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM

An American Icon goes to jail..

Flags at half mast tomorrow..

Electrongod on February 21, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Why does Mika treat Triple J and Obama like special needs children? Looks like the soft bigotry of low expectations raises its ugly head again at MSNBC.

Fallon on February 21, 2013 at 9:27 PM

disa…not sure . Someone complained the other day of the same issue but I have never had that problem here.

CW on February 21, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Jazz, you don’t understand. Mr. Jackson was suffering from post traumatic slavery disorder. I kid you not. His own father has even explained why black people tend to be late.

arnold ziffel on February 21, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Rolex will be sold on eBay..

Electrongod on February 21, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I’ve already found the code words:

“Madoff was just better at it.”

The white guy is better at it than the African-American.

Raacist…

Drained Brain on February 21, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I’d rather go out to my car, stick my hand inside the door seam, and slam the door a few times.

Myron Falwell on February 21, 2013 at 9:28 PM

ROFL Where do these people come from?

Free Mumia! Jackson! You can see it coming.

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 9:28 PM

NBC’s justice correspondent Pete Wlliams takes us through this sad case.

Sad that the slimeball got caught and, even so, couldn’t slime his way out of it as he did with his attempted purchase of the Senate seat that went up for sale after the Indonesian vacated it to illegally occupoop the White House. Of course, no one ran into any difficulties with the sale of that Senate seat, outside of that little idiot with the hair, even though everyone with a brain knows that everyone (including Barky and his gang) knew exactly what was going on and were just haggling about price.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 21, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Why did my post disappear?

disa on February 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I’ve been having to double refresh for over a week now. It’s annoying but it brings up the new posts and comments.

Fallon on February 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I blame 1965 Republicans…

Electrongod on February 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM

SAD?!?!?

Are you freaking kidding me.

The man stole close to a million dollars from his campaign chest to fund his lifestyle and its a ‘sad’ story.

Oh Joey, you keep on writing in Politico on how we need to change. BS!

I don’t know whats worse, I except the people at MSDNC to feel for this crook, but the District Attorney!!!! lamenting that this crook was taken from ‘us?’ You’ve got to be kidding me. But don’t you worry, Chicago, a Chicago Machine Politician gave the word that well, yeah Jesse is a crook, but whatever, we’ll vote him back in office anyway.

Lance Murdock on February 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I think the “misusing” is more of the plea deal. Also, it was campaign funds, so I’m not quite sure the link to stealing from his peeps.

Other than that, yeah. JJJr is a scumbag. Joe is a moron, who has been successfully assimilated into the bubble. Yes, that whole embarrassing segment should be buried. Disappointed in Harold Ford Jr.; whom has his moments and decency.

John Kettlewell on February 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM

From the outhouse to the state house to the U.S. House to the jail house.

I am somebody. I am somebody.

Curtiss on February 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I knew someone would cover this. Thanks Jazz!!

This morning for the first time there has ever been a ‘mornin’ joe’ I tuned in. I saw this exchange and was gobsmacked!

WTF is wrong with these people?

He’s a fracking thieving fracking loser!

I never thought I would say this and mean it, Liberalism is a mental disease, there is NO other explanation for it.

It goes without saying, I shall not watch MJ ever again…I’ll just cruise on over to QOTD from the night before and see what the morning crew has to say…( which I didn’t do this morning)…

Scrumpy on February 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM

The apple don’t fall far from the tree.

NeoKong on February 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Maybe JJ Jr. will get shanked by the boyz in da hood

redguy on February 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM

What a gyp. I wanted to see her cry.

S. D. on February 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Democratic systematic pilferage = sad case.

Pub tapping his toe with a wide stance in the public restroom? A major story.

Axeman on February 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM

One of their own does something stupid..
If only Jr killed some innocence..

He would be a hero..

Electrongod on February 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Moaning Joe never mentioned Marco Rubio’s name until probably two days before the Senate election (as with Ted Cruz he doesn’t use proper names if he despises you) and I distinctly remember discussing the final polling and Mika asking “Joe, what happened to our Charlie?”

Marcus on February 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Hear hear Jazz

cmsinaz on February 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM

He’s a crook and he’s going to jail. Good riddance.

yes indeed..absolutely nothing sad about him going to jail.he does deserve some prison time for this

sadsushi on February 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM

The leftists (and that includes Joe Scarborough) don’t care if their own commit any crimes. They are just saddened that they got caught, or discredited.

sharrukin on February 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM

To borrow a line from Ferris Bueller: “Gosh, I’m all broken up about it.”

BKeyser on February 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Hopefully for him his new boyfriend respects that he was down for the struggle.

Or not.

Ot:

What the heck is a “coddled egg”? Do they taste good over grits with some hot sauce?

wolly4321 on February 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Dem pols go to jail all the time. And, oh, btw, he managed to hang on to get reelected and therefore get more $$$$$ in his pension.

crooked, but not dumb. Joe S is (probably) not crooked, but he is dumb.

r keller on February 21, 2013 at 9:45 PM

What a pathetic bunch of mewling pussies. The ‘press’ act like this is something that just happened to Jackass Jr. Give me a break. The MFM can’t die fast enough for me. Let it Burn.

Pelosi delende est on February 21, 2013 at 9:46 PM

It is a sad thing when a disgusting and corrupt and greedy to the core man is disgusting and corrupt and greedy to the core.

VorDaj on February 21, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Put him on the ballot and he’ll still hold his seat with 100% of the vote.

crrr6 on February 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM

wolly4321 on February 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I think it’s what New Yorkers called poached eggs.

sharrukin on February 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM

The jerk spent other people’s money on $14k worth of dry cleaning alone, why would anyone cry over a criminal fud like this?

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I like that screencap anyway. She does strike a nice pose.

can_con on February 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM

But J.J. jr. Is a victim somehow.

Curtiss on February 21, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Jr. wasn’t half the shyster his old man was/is. The day after he’s released from prison, he’ll announce another run. . . and get re-elected. Of that there should be no doubt.

Marion Barry v 2.0.

De Oppresso Liber on February 21, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Put him on the ballot and he’ll still hold his seat with 100% 115% of the vote.

crrr6 on February 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Don’t forget, it’s Illinois.

VorDaj on February 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Media accountability is at an all-time low.

MT on February 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Put him on the ballot and he’ll still hold his seat with 100% of the vote.

crrr6 on February 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I believe that..

Electrongod on February 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Remind me,, did daddy cradle MLK’s head? Or smear the blood on his shirt later?

wolly4321 on February 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Bets on how short the sentence is?

wolly4321 on February 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Mika shed plenty of tears for the bad choices Scooter Libby made, right?

I jest, surely.

These media people are despicable and probably worse then their corrupt and criminal politicians they protect.

FlaMurph on February 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Video: MSNBC hosts really “sad” about Jesse Jackson Jr

Americans fight for their lives for over seven hours and Obowma tells help to ‘stand down’…?

(who else could have issued the order)

… “What difference does it make?”

Seven Percent Solution on February 21, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Be interesting if a team of psychological researchers would examine this abnormal Libtard thing concerning minorities. The only problem is, I doubt that will happen as the vast majority of psychologists are themselves Libtards.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 21, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I don’t think it would have been so sad if, say, Sarah Palin has embezzled $750,000. They would have been laughing.

hepcat on February 21, 2013 at 9:57 PM

. At what point did this become a “sad story” exactly?

…when they were so obviously stupid…that they got caught?

KOOLAID2 on February 21, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Bets on how short the sentence is?

wolly4321 on February 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Short..
But not short enough to give crr6 time to move to his district and vote…

Electrongod on February 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Are you serious?

Why does this freaking twinkie deserve any recognition?

Has she EVER said ANYTHING worthwhile, EVER?

ccrosby on February 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM

sharrukin on February 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Actually, coddled eggs are also known as three minute eggs or soft boiled eggs. Put them into boiling water for 3 minutes, remove, crack over toast and eat with some salt and pepper.

Jazz Shaw on February 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Where was Daddy Thacksonnn?

Sherman1864 on February 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I bet he gets re-elected once out of the joint…

In fact, I’ll bet there are those out there that think he’ll make a great Preezy!

ccrosby on February 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM

The apple don’t fall far from the tree.

NeoKong on February 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM

More like the turd didn’t fall far from the a**. An extortionist/racketeer/philandering baby daddy begets a psychotic thief- shocker.

M240H on February 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Free Tookey!!

Khun Joe on February 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM

No, what’s sad is one of the most successful mass murderers of the last century, Janet Reno, getting away with it helped by the self-proclaimed “reverend” John “Keystone Cop” Danforth.

What’s sad is four Americans dead in Benghazi because Barky and Hill betrayed them and the GOP leadership were and are too busy hiding to do anything about it.

What isn’t sad is Je$$e Hoodlum Jr. finally going to jail for doing what Je$$e Hoodlum $r. should have earned the steel motel decades ago.

viking01 on February 21, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Jazz Shaw on February 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I know, just causing trouble. Now I’m hungry!

sharrukin on February 21, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Put him on the ballot and he’ll still hold his seat with 100% of the vote.

crrr6 on February 21, 2013 at 9:47 PM

No doubt…

1/3 of Congressional Black Caucus Members Were Named in Ethics Probes

Seven Percent Solution on February 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM

M&J think we should all forgive JJJ for stealing from his constituents. After all, he certainly stole the last shreds of their credibility and integrity, too.

drunyan8315 on February 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Jackson should have gone all out on his watch purchase:

Sherman1864 on February 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Out: Hope and Change

IN: Crook and Theft!!

canopfor on February 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM

hepcat on February 21, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Boy, ain’t that the truth…and that’s what I personally find to be very sad.

The emotional breakdown cover story just before all this came out was pure genius (Axelrod?), and way better than Shrillary’s multiple medical adventures to buy her time to get her (false) story straight before she testified.

Considering this lot, I’m still amazed that Bernie Madoff never ran for office…would’ve fit right in.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Scrapple?

Rusty Allen on February 21, 2013 at 10:09 PM

If only his dad was sharing the next cell.

pat on February 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM

1/3 of Congressional Black Caucus Members Were Named in Ethics Probes

Seven Percent Solution on February 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Seven Percent Solution:

UnBoinkingBelieveAble:)

canopfor on February 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Pork mush

Rusty Allen on February 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Coddled eggs, soft eggs,, either way yer getting laughed outta da truckstop unless you ask for hot sauce.

Did JJ Jr manage to cop MJ’s single glove as a collectible? If so, they should definitely let him take that behind the wall. His new friends will find it cute.

wolly4321 on February 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM

1/3 of Congressional Black Caucus Members Were Named in Ethics Probes

Seven Percent Solution on February 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Seven Percent Solution:

Ya know,I was thinking,in some of their mindsets,

its,….

…..Stealth Reparations!!!!!!!-:O

canopfor on February 21, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Since when is justice for criminal politicians sad! It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood!

MCGIRV on February 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM

If only his dad was sharing the next cell.

pat on February 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM

In perfect world.

ccrosby on February 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Scarborough and that Mika dude(?) have deep-seated, unfulfilled Mandingo fantasies.

Pork-Chop on February 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM

We elected a community organizer people. What a dysfunctional country…..

but at least he is empathetic.///

CW on February 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM

So sad :(

BoxHead1 on February 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Should I try to clean the vomit out of my keyboard, or just get a new one?

I’ve lost so many keyboards this way since the election last November…

E-R

electric-rascal on February 21, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Scrumpy on February 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Man, where have you been the last decade, or two?

98ZJUSMC on February 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM

And before any of you Jackson loving sycophants get all up in arms…

Jazz

Uh…I haven’t been through the comments, Jazz, but I think you’re in a safe zone here. Joe Pansy-asz Scarborough and his panel of nut-sucking liberals might be a little teary tonight, but I suspect HotGas will be relatively upbeat. Tears of joy, maybe…

Jaibones on February 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Stepping back a bit, it’s not wrong to consider JJJr a human tragedy. Think of what someone else with moral turpitude could have done with his position that was pretty much handed to him as a birthright. What a colossal waste of opportunity.

DarthBrooks on February 21, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I wonder if Mika moans that much during sex… LOL
Why is everybody upset at a hog trained to feed at the public trough? He didn’t let “everybody down.” He stole from them.

ExpressoBold on February 21, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Remember how all the democrats came out against him during the election season and and demanded he step down so someone else could run because they were afraid he would damage the party’s chances? Remember how they attacked him non-stop when he refused?

Yeah, me neither. Only republicans do that kind of thing.

xblade on February 21, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Gee, I hope the people in the Hamptons stop shunning Jon Corzine. He did so much for New Jersey when he demonstrated the necessity of a seat belt when your state trooper driver is blasting down the highway at more than 90 miles an hour and he taught investors a very valuable, or at least very expensive, lesson in money management when MF Global stole their money to pay off its shortfalls.

Huh, I guess Jesse Jr. was thinking too small.

mchristian on February 21, 2013 at 11:23 PM

She is such a dummy. How can such be paid?

She just sits there and looks stupid, most of the time. When she speaks she just confirms hos stupid she is.

She and Joe are a perfect fit, and I don’t mean on TV.

Schadenfreude on February 21, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Liberalism is not a disease. A disease usually has a cure. The root of liberalism is that these folks imagine themselves in the perps’ shoes and don’t want justice inflicted on them if it happened to them. That’s why they say the most inane things about crime because they’re projecting the commiting of crime unto themselves. Beckel wouldn’t mind raping a chick if he could get away with it, hence he scoff at any notion of a girl having real protection by the gun. Likewise those who downplay pedophiles, because they have either done so in their past or think there might come a day when they get the chance, therefore better to gut justice before their number is up. Plain and simple.

They reason these jerks lament junior is because they root for him to get away with it and wish they could as well. it all seems so commonplace because the corridors of power are rife with amoral crooks.

Conservatives on the other hand demand justice even as they know that as fallen creatures, they may be struck by justice if they should yield to their sinful nature.

AH_C on February 21, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Mercy, the only things missing were a box of tissues and background music from Morris Albert.

BruthaMan on February 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM

1. JJJr is black.

2. JJJr’s father is a celebrity race-hustler of many years standing.

3. JJJr is therefore a victim, not a criminal.

The above is the sum total of the “analysis” by Joe and Mika which informs their “reporting” on MSNBC. For mouthing this fatuousness they are paid millions by advertisers like GE, which is passed on to their customers, like you.

The only way to fight them: don’t buy anything those advertisers like GE make. Nothing. “Look for the GE label” and then put it back on the shelf.

drunyan8315 on February 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Marion Barry v 2.0.

De Oppresso Liber on February 21, 2013 at 9:51 PM

That says it all.

listens2glenn on February 21, 2013 at 11:45 PM

The story is that he has Bipolar Disorder. We have reporters quoting professors of Philosophy from Northwestern on the illness and the difficulty of selecting a condign punishment.

Malingering becomes a port in a storm when jail is a real possibility. However, the left talking heads have spread the word that the Mayo Clinic supports him in the diagnoses.

The thorny aspect of this is that it is unclear whether he had any mental treatment before investigators had moved in on a contact of his in yet another scandal.

Even if he were being treated long before the cops were at the door, the next question is why he never disclosed any mental health issues to his supporters or anyone else. With the august family and extensive social network around him, maybe they could have worked with his accountants to prevent such a crash and burn.

Moreover, is anyone suggesting that he couldn’t control himself or know right from wrong? THAT might reflect on his backers and organization. Nobody is suggesting a full blown insanity defense. Just a dab of pastel paint to augment the usual left whitewash from Morning Joe.

I don’t think Sen. Marco Rubio or Gov. Sarah Palin would be given all this immediate understanding. THAT is the real misuse in this case.

IlikedAUH2O on February 21, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I’ll light a candle in the window. Sniff.

Shy Guy on February 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Think of how that money could be used by the people in his community. Think about all the averted tax foreclosures, insurance premiums, late rents that his people could have done with that money. Is he, son of Jesse Jackson Sr., unconcious of poverty?

Hell no.

F*** ‘em.

CrustyB on February 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Was anybody “sad” when Bernie Madoff got caught?

No. Madoff was white.

The Rogue Tomato on February 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM

IlikedAUH2O on February 21, 2013 at 11:54 PM

That fact always needs to be repeated, further exposing the bias of the American media companies. When it’s a liberal, the media excuses it all away or completely ignores a deficiency. When it’s not a liberal, media acts like there has been a huge, enormous, cosmic rent in the moral fabric of the universe due to the conservative’s possible bad judgement (or deed, or whatever.)

ExpressoBold on February 22, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Scarborough has sold his soul. He is a P0S… why would anyone watch his show…

fabrexe on February 22, 2013 at 12:23 AM

He’s a criminal who should have got much more time. He’s lucky he hasn’t had to rat out all of his Chicago pals … yet.

Scarborough is a dolt if he thinks that “serving with Jesse” somehow erases the blatant corruption. Collegiality pushes all objectivity aside. These characters should start interviewing for The View.

virgo on February 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I hope Joe reads all the comments on these posts about him. I hope he knows what a sell out he is. I would feel much better if he would just convert to being a Democrat, which he is.

djl130 on February 22, 2013 at 5:48 AM

Jail time for Jackson? Give that man a cake of soap on a rope.

The apple falls not far from the tree. His old man probably belongs behind bars too.

petefrt on February 22, 2013 at 6:55 AM

I’ve never seen Jazz this energized. Right on you!

antisense on February 22, 2013 at 7:27 AM

What’s she sad about, that he’s a crook, or that he got caught?

sadatoni on February 22, 2013 at 7:28 AM

there are no more criminals…thank a liberal.

dcnj on February 22, 2013 at 7:41 AM