Video: MSNBC hosts really “sad” about Jesse Jackson Jr

posted at 9:21 pm on February 21, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

This morning, over a plate of coddled eggs and scrapple, I flipped on the television and watched some of Morning Joe. (There goes the quote for the first twenty comments…) At around the 6:30 mark, they broke into a short bit of coverage of Jesse Jackson jr. and his current legal woes. (Which I wrote about last weekend.) What happened next sent me into a bit of a rant on Twitter, declaring that I would certainly have to save that portion of the show and write something about it.

One of the nice things about Morning Joe is that they upload their show segments to their website each day so you can watch them later, and even clip and share portions of them on the web. But when I went back this afternoon to find it, lo and behold, it somehow didn’t make it into the archive. But thanks to my friend Noel Sheppard of Newsbusters, it has risen again on YouTube. Here’s the Morning Joe crew discussing the downfall of Jackson, complete with a clip from NBC’s coverage.

Scarborough: Former congressman Jesse Jackson’s facing jail time after pleading guilty to misusing hundreds of thousands of dollars of campaign funds. A tearful Jackson apologized to his family and friends. NBC’s justice correspondent Pete Wlliams takes us through this sad case.

[Video clip of Williams is played]

Mika: That was NBC’s Pete Williams reporting.
Scarborough: It’s a sad story. Harold, you served with Jesse. As did I.
Harold Ford: I know Jesse. It’s sad. I know the family well. My prayers go out to his kids and to the entire family. And I hope there is another chapter in his life.
Mika: I hope they can turn it around.
Scarborough: Yeah.

That’s about the moment when my head exploded, ruining what was otherwise a perfectly nice, Thursday morning breakfast. At what point did this become a “sad story” exactly? The criminal was caught and brought to justice. The system worked. Aren’t we generally happy about that? To reiterate what I was ranting about on Twitter, this guy stole nearly a million dollars from the people of his district, many of whom live below the poverty level! Was anybody “sad” when Bernie Madoff got caught? Was anyone praying for “a new chapter” in Madoff’s life where he would “turn things around?”

And before any of you Jackson loving sycophants get all up in arms over the comparison, there is virtually zero difference between Bernie Madoff and Jesse Jackson jr. except in terms of scale. Madoff stole money from innocent people looking to invest in the future for their retirement. Jackson stole money from working class people willing to invest in the future of their state and country by supporting somebody promising to make their future better. They are the same. Madoff was just better at it.

And while we’re on the topic, what prompted Joe to choose the word “misused” regarding the missing funds? They weren’t “misused,” Joe. They were stolen and spent on Rolex watches, stuffed animal heads, Michael Jackson’s guitar and a huge list of additional swag. Misusing campaign funds is when you authorize a payment to a consultant or pollster who isn’t registered properly. This was theft to finance his own lifestyle above and beyond his means, plain and simple.

As I said on Twitter, there is only one reason Jackson was getting the soft sell here and that’s the fact that he’s a Democrat. If he were a Republican this would have been bigger news than Dillinger getting gunned down. But because of his name and his famous father, he’s now some sort of sympathetic figure who has fallen from grace. Sorry, but I’m not buying it. He’s a crook and he’s going to jail. Good riddance.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

May he, bark and mugabee rot in hell.

acyl72 on February 22, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Which country club will the Rainbow Coalition spawn attend whilst serving out his high crimes and misdemeanors? His jail time will rival some of our vacations.

Polish Rifle on February 22, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but isn’t Jesse Jackson Jr. a Democrat from Illinois?

Amazingoly on February 22, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Jr. wasn’t half the shyster his old man was/is.

De Oppresso Liber on February 21, 2013 at 9:51 PM

“I could sue you for calling us that, Liber. A ‘shyster’ is a disreputable lawyer. My family are a bunch of race-baiting, slow-witted, lowlife criminals.” — Ex-Congr. Irving Finegarten Jackson Jr.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I don’t watch MSNBC, so I’m not at risk of my head exploding. I feel sorry for you for having to watch that crap as part of your profession.

olesparkie on February 22, 2013 at 8:37 AM

This is Tool Three (3) in operation.

I have a list of twelve tools which the media uses to manipulate the American (actually Western World’s) public.

Number three is “insanity”, or mental health issues.

The LSM uses mental issues as a magic cloak, well..really a painter’s tarp.

They toss it on and can make the target anything they want by globbing facts about the case, personal characteristics, pop culture references or anything else floating in the garbage which they have floating around.

It is really useful in criminal trials or political scandals since they have two levels of ignorance to augment the public’s stupidity.

The first is that the public has no clue about the definition of legal insanity when used to remove or reduce culpability. This is understandable since the courts don’t know either and change or eliminate it in different jurisdictions or whether its used as a mitigating factor or a complete defense. They can make really bad people look like they deserve no punishment with this.

The second is that the public doesn’t understand what the medical world defines as insanity or how it finds it. This is understandable since medical science hasn’t a clue, except in the most extreme cases, either. They can make someone look like a real monster with this.

So the general sense that we can’t punish the crazy is a very nice tool to manipulate the population.

Cable has been showing The Running Man and that is a guide as to how right wing people get treated. Unfortunately, most don’t get a televised contest to clear themselves.

IlikedAUH2O on February 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Was that US Attorney on the Jackson team or on the prosecution side? He sounded as sad about the situation as Joe & Mika. What did Jackson ever do for his constituents? Did he introduce positive legislation? Was he on some important productive committee? Or was it enough that he was black and in Congress? /s

katiejane on February 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM

It ain’t rocket science.

What the media does is simple. Fixing it can be, too.

My suggested changes to the First Amendment are centered on the twelve items misused by the media.

When we get to war and patriotism, I am going to be loved around here, for sure.

IlikedAUH2O on February 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Boo Freakin’ Hooooo!

Herb on February 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM

The day Jesse Sr. was caught on hot mic fantasizing about castrating Obama I knew Obama’s DOJ would find a way to tear down the Jackson dynasty. Call it Chicago style hard ball politics.

xstatic on February 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM

The (rotton) apple don’t fall far from the tree. Oh, and I got a bridge to sell to his lawyer.

StevC on February 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Don’t forget that he has cashed in (harhar) all his life on his father’s notoriety. Otherwise he is indistinguishable from anybody else. I dare say that he learned quite a bit from his shake-down daddy.

NeoCon_1 on February 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I lived in Chicago for 50 years, and ALL the Aldermen are crooks, as well as most of their Governors from both parties. As far as Jackson, Jr., he is no different, and the fact that both of their kid’s parents are going to jail might just break the cycle, but I doubt it. Was the Rolex and other luxury items really worth it? No, but I’m sure they thought they deserved it and would never get caught.

lea on February 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Was Jr. running around banging broads like crazy, the way his father does?

Just wondering.

JackM on February 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM

If you went through his campaign donation data, you might find that he did not steal the most of the money from the people of his district, but rather from donors outside the district.

krome on February 22, 2013 at 1:18 PM

This is why I am convinced beyond any shadow of a doubt that the lunatics who occupy the insane asylum known as MSNBC not only do not reside on the same planet as the rest of us, they occupy their own dimension!

Anyone who lives in Illinois knows how the Jackson family works! They have done this for like the last 50 years! Jesse Jackson Sr was referred to by the legendary late great newspaper columnist Mike Royko as being “this loud town’s (Chicago) loudest loudmouth”. It is also known that if you want to get Jesse’s attention, you do so by setting up a microphone and a TV camera, and BOOM, Jesse will be there!

The son pretty much operated the same way, being Jesse’s Sr. own personal megaphone in Congress, while Jesse Jr.s wife occupied a seat on the Chicago City Council, thus giving Jesse Sr a measure of leverage there. And it is to be expected that with all this going on, there had to be a measure of chicanery going on beneath the surface. Keep in mind, we are talking Illinois politics here, folks.

So when I read what was being said on Morning Schmo on Thursday, it doesn’t really surprise me, because I know that none of those nitwits on that network understand Illinois/Chicago politics. In fact, I will go one better and say they don’t WANT to understand it, because if they saw it for how people in my state have seen it for years, they would likely need therapy to undo the damage done to their own hermetically sealed mindsets.

pilamaye on February 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Naive at best.

FineasFinn on February 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM

The only thing “sad” about this is that he’ll only get “up to four years” in the can. He’s a scumbag like his father, leeching off the generosity of others and pretending to be concerned with the welfare of the people. What a POS. The only reason he’s “apologetic” is because he got caught. The guy is an effing felon who stole almost a million bucks and he’s portrayed as an unfortunate, talented, caring, soul who’s done so much for the people. If he were a republican, he would have been depicted with blood dripping from his fangs while he laughed all the way out of the courthouse.

Dopenstrange on February 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I feel sorry for him too. I can feel the tears starting to run down my leg! The poor misunderstood CROOK!!!

Jersey Dan on February 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Jesse Jackson Jr. is a very typical leftwing politician and proof the nut doesn’t fall far from the tree.

woodNfish on February 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM