Video: An American Pope?

posted at 9:21 am on February 21, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Color me skeptical, but not from a lack of good candidates among the American cardinals that will travel to Rome. CBS News interviews Monsignor Anthony Figueiredo in Rome, who tells audiences that the possibilities are “wide open,” and that the extended advance notice of papal transition will give the voting cardinals an opportunity to get to know the potential candidates better — presumably an especially good sign for non-Europeans:

Initial speculation for an American candidate first centered on Cardinal Timothy Dolan, president of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops. More attention has fallen to Cardinal Sean O’Malley of Boston, a well-regarded reformer and widely admired for his simplicity.  John Allen profiles the attention being directed to O’Malley:

While the U.S. media has focused on Cardinal Timothy Dolan of New York as the most plausible, if still remote, American prospect, another name has generated a surprising degree of buzz in the Italian press: Cardinal Sean O’Malley of Boston, partly on the strength of his profile as a reformer on the church’s sexual abuse scandals, and partly because of his Capuchin simplicity as a perceived antidote to the Vatican’s reputation for intrigue and power games. …

I can confirm the O’Malley buzz from personal experience. Right now, it’s tough for an American journalist to walk into the Vatican Press Office without fielding questions from colleagues about him. …

O’Malley’s simplicity isn’t just a matter of wearing his brown habit, or insisting on being called “Cardinal Sean.” By reputation he’s not given to building empires or playing political games, and on the back of the Vatileaks mess, ongoing questions about the Vatican Bank, and other perceived Vatican imbroglios, that profile could strike some cardinals as just what the doctor ordered.

Despite his overall image as a moderate, O’Malley is by-the-book when it comes to matters of Catholic orthodoxy and is especially committed to the pro-life cause, making him attractive to cardinals concerned that the church hold the line on its positions in the culture wars.

O’Malley is also passionate about the “New Evangelization,” expressed not only in his use of Twitter and blogs, but in his general approach to the role of a bishop.

Allen astutely covers some of the potential “question marks” about O’Malley, including his lack of Vatican experience.  Given the organizational issues facing the Vatican, an outsider might be a good idea.  However, I’m still less than convinced that American candidates will be seen in a favorable light when the Church is growing so strong in regions like South America and Africa.

That might be especially true if Cardinal Roger Mahony shows up to vote, too.  The Vatican isn’t pleased to have to deal with the fallout of his arrival:

A senior Vatican official called Cardinal Roger Mahony‘s participation in the selection of the next pope “troubling,” but said there was no formal procedure to stop the retired Los Angeles archbishop from attending the conclave next month.

The remarks by Cardinal Velasio De Paolis added to a growing murmur about the propriety of Mahony’s decision to attend the conclave. Mahony recently was rebuked by his successor, Archbishop Jose Gomez, for his handling of sexual abuse cases, although Gomez also has expressed support for Mahony’s role in the papal conclave. But several Vatican officials have appeared to raise questions about it,  without actually saying that Mahony should not take part.

As a cardinal younger than 80, Mahony is entitled to vote for the man who will succeed Pope Benedict XVI, who recently announced his retirement.

“Entitled to” doesn’t mean “should,” and a number of Catholics in the US want Mahony to stay home.  Let’s just say that this could be a buzzkill for O’Malley.

Comments

27 comments or bust!

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Mahoney for the Win. The Holy Spirit Wills it!! LOL!

abobo on February 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Uh, no.

platypus on February 21, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I’m more hoping for an American President.

Just kidding.

Really.

MTF on February 21, 2013 at 9:26 AM

A lot of the talk just seems like pre-confab make-work musings. I’m sure this summer, someone reporting on football will do a “Jets in the Super Bowl?” speculation piece. Doesn’t mean it has a chance of happening.

jon1979 on February 21, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I wonder if any of these American “potential candidates” are fluent in Latin and Italian?

Pork-Chop on February 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Mahoney for the Win. The Holy Spirit Wills it!! LOL!

abobo on February 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Him or Law, just as a giant “We don’t even care anymore.” And then the pope could say, “I am the Law!”

JohnW on February 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I’m betting it’s gonna be Cardinal Lustigere (sp?) of Paris.

Cleombrotus on February 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM

The WaPo made the case for an American Pope last weekend. Essentially the author thought an American would reform the church and get rid of some of the “stupid stuff” like the RCC position on abortion and celebecy. In short, the case was based on the idea that an American Pope would modernize the RCC by changing the tenets of Roman Catholic faith. Of course, the same edition also made the case that the next Pope should be a Nun. Take that for what it is worth.

Bottom line, this is like the electoral college. Nothing matters except those that actually have a vote that counts. I think that the odds are good that the next pontiff will not be from Europe which has been centuries overdue. For political reasons, an American may be too controversial but my understanding is that there is a Canadian on the short list of non-Europeans. Maybe that is the candidate we should be rallying around. That or maybe looking into that whole nun thing.

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM

…either O’Malley or Dolan…would be nice!

KOOLAID2 on February 21, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I’m betting it’s gonna be Cardinal Lustigere (sp?) of Paris.

Cleombrotus on February 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Yeah because, for whatever reason, when God’s spirit fills the conclave and speaks to the cardinals about who should be the next Bishop of Rome He always seems to choose a candidate from within a few hundred miles of Vatican City.

Seriously, catholic means universal. Isn’t it about time the RCC proves that it is a faith guided by somebody other than an old European guy who has spent a lifetime embroiled in church politics?

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Amended:

17 comments or bust!

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM

It would make sense…Americans are good at running big corporations.

Hat Trick on February 21, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Mahoney for the Win. The Holy Spirit Wills it!! LOL!

abobo on February 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM

The Holy Spirit to the conclave concerning Roger Mahoney….

At this point does it really matter?

Seriously, the man should be in jail for abetting pedophiles for years. The only reason why he wasn’t de-frocked was that he was doing Rome’s bidding when he shuffled the pedophiles off to unsuspecting congregations. It is a black mark on the RCC that will not soon be forgotten.

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Is it the same Mahoney as in Police Academy movies of old? If not, I’m not interested.

Archivarix on February 21, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Archivarix on February 21, 2013 at 9:50 AM

The epitome of low information voter. Things were so much clearer when we could call them by their rightful title…. moron. But apparently that is a medical classification and the morons got upset that “low information” idiots were bogarting on their turf.

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Well, although having been raised and disciplined by devout Catholic nuns for whom I still hold a warm spot in my heart, I am not of the Roman Catholic faith so I don’t have a direct “dog in the fight”; my interest is solely in observing what role it might play in possible end-times scenarios.

I’m not convinced that God has ever had much to say about who is elected Pope and your emphasis on Post-modern Western influences being the deciding factor in the next one seems to underscore that point.

Cleombrotus on February 21, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM

The irony that the WaPo couldn’t possibly grasp is that the only realistic way an American Pope would be selected by the synod would be as a rebuke to the current occupant of the White House, due to his attempts to limit the Catholic Church’s freedom of religion due to government rulings, including the mandates that church-run medical facilities support measures involved with birth control and abortion.

Basically, if they got their American head of the Catholic Church, it would be because that person would be seen as a counterweight to the current administration, not as an adjunct. That was one of the prime reasons John Paul II was elected, as a counterweight to the anti-church regimes of Eastern Europe. I don’t think the rest of the Catholic Church sees the U.S. as in the same position as Poland or the Soviet Union, circa 1978, which is why you’re not likely to get a Pope from the U.S. But outlets like the Washington Post and other liberal big media haunts would be getting the vapors within six months or so when they figured out the Bishops didn’t just appoint one of the Berrigan brothers to its highest position.

jon1979 on February 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM

not going to happen, the same was said last time around about a pope from AFRICA. believe it or not there’s politics in religion.

phatfawzi on February 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM

An American Pope…Why not?

workingclass artist on February 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Do I have to remind you that your pathetic tin-god church routinely bent over for the Fedzilla Caesar, and still has murder-happy Nancy Pelosi under its wing? Until I see these two flaws rectified, forgive me for not giving a mouthful of warm spit for your religion.

Archivarix on February 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Archivarix on February 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Um…. I’m a Protestant. Nancy Pelosi, I’m happy to say, is not a member of my particular denomination. Beyond that I have no clue what you are ranting about and no concern about your faith other than the fact it is useless to even discuss religion with an idiot who refers to our creator as a “pathetic tin-god”

Like I said before, you are definitely the epitome of low information, mouth-breathing, moron.

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, Europe is part of the Orbum. NO candidate should be ruled out based upon where they live. Their lives to date — their contributions in words and deeds to the world (the only possible measure of faith to us humans) — and their ability to function as Pope — are all that should be considered.

I have no dog in this race, even though I’m Catholic. I have one dog I’m betting against (Mahoney) because of the harm he has done to the Church with his sins of commission and omission regarding pedophilia. Obviously, the Vatican insiders feel the same way.

unclesmrgol on February 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Cleombrotus on February 21, 2013 at 9:57 AM

There are two ways of looking at your comments.

1. When the Holy Spirit guides the decision, the political effectiveness of the Pontiff is part of the calling because it is necessary for the job.

2. Or the more cynical idea that elevation of a cardinal to Pope is nothing but the end result of political intrigue and in-fighting by a select group of politicians.

I don’t think that option one necessarily negates option two (or the other way around).

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Archivarix on February 21, 2013 at 10:04 AM

That’s fine. But, obviously, you’ve given far more than a mouthful of spittle here.

As for bending over for Mr. Caesar, wouldn’t you say the Church got into a great amount of trouble by not doing so in the case of the pedophile/homosexual priests? As for the Bishops, their original embrace of Obamacare has turned around. Maybe they finally read a few encyclicals and figured out that social justice must come from the individual, not Caesar, for Caesar rules using the fasces, and the fasces do not promote willful obedience, but rather fearful obedience.

unclesmrgol on February 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I suggest – nay, insist! – that you perform an obscene, anatomically impossible act. If troglocons like you, Phuckabee and Scrotorum are what “conservatives” are supposed to be, I’ll take RINO Romney any day. Heck, I’ll probably take Ron Paul zombie any day over that.

Archivarix on February 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM

There’s a reason why the word Cardinal and the word Cat begin with the same first two letters.

I think.

unclesmrgol on February 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Heck, I’ll probably take Ron Paul zombie any day over that.

Archivarix on February 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Impressive attack. It looks like a blenderful of red herrings just got tossed into the mix.

unclesmrgol on February 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I find the concepts of court intrigue and behind the scenes maneuvering a bit distasteful when dealing with a humans spiritual state.

BL@KBIRD on February 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM

unclesmrgol on February 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM

No candidate should be ruled out but how many centuries ago was there a non-European? 600? 700? You really would think that location shouldn’t be a job requirement either.

I’m not a Catholic so this is really more of a spectator sport than anything else for me (you’ll note I’ve not backed any candidate). Nevertheless, I do think that the Holy Spirit could really energize the RCC by guiding the choice for the next Bishop of Rome to somebody who has served the church in a part of the world where the faith is strong and growing instead of a Western European nation where single digit percentages of the population actually participate in the life of the church.

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Catholicism. LOL.

CoffeeMan on February 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM

We already have an American Pope, silly rabbit. His name is Al Gore, Pope of the Church of Global Warming and his newest High Priest is John Kerry, Secretary of the State of Global Warming.

VorDaj on February 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM

My go to source for all matters ecclesiastical is CBS news.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Will Candy Crawley moderate the Pope debate?

Oil Can on February 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM

There are two ways of looking at your comments.

1. When the Holy Spirit guides the decision…

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I do not accept your premise.

Cleombrotus on February 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM

My go to source for all matters ecclesiastical is CBS news.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Will Candy Crawley moderate the Pope debate?

Oil Can on February 21, 2013 at 10:28 AM

LOL

Cleombrotus on February 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Welp, my guess was wrong. Unless he’s miraculously raised from the dead, Lustiger is out of the running and has been so since 2007 it appears.

Cleombrotus on February 21, 2013 at 10:40 AM

There is a whole world out there that needs Christ and I’m afraid you’re expending effort incorrectly. Christ commands us to follow him so at the end of the day when you tell someone their sins have been justified, the election of the pope is meaningless.

LaughterJones on February 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I do not accept your premise.

Cleombrotus on February 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Okay. And?

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM

American Pope, African Pope, Nun Pope, etc., etc., etc. Are we somehow viewing the Papacy as being in need of more “diversity” and/or tolerance? Are we also to believe that the selection of a Pope from a Non-European country will somehow bring some acclaim to that country? How would we know the new Pope was not selected in spite of his home country rather than because of it? I’m not even Catholic and I find that idea offensive. Will we next be hearing about the possibilities of a Muslim Pope? How about a gay Pope, Maybe we need for Obama to select a Pope Czar! Maybe Obama should just claim the title for his own.

MikeA on February 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Archivarix on February 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM

BWAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MORE COFFEE!!

And a can of Red Bull.

Solaratov on February 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM

As a Protestant, I’d love the idea of an American pope very visibly and effectively busting 0bama’s tiny balls over abortion.

CurtZHP on February 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I asked someone about this a few years ago (I forget who I was talking to, but I think it was a bishop) and I asked about the American Pope idea. He said that it was pretty much a non-starter because America is perceived by the rest of the world as being so powerful, that it’s unlikely the Church would select someone from America simply for that reason. They don’t want the perception of a Church being influenced by the most powerful nation in the world into selecting a Pope from there.

Nethicus on February 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Good points MikeA.

LaughterJones, the election of a Pope is not meaningless. Look at the impact of Pope John Paul II. It may have been the greatest example of the power of a pope. Without commanding a single soldier, along with the West he help bring the end of the Soviet State.

Which pope will be there? I don’t know, but I think MikeA is right; it shouldn’t be for diversity or tolerance. Although I do believe the Cardinal Peter Turkson from Ghana is my personal favorite. Not because of diversity or tolerance, but my understanding of his works and personal commitment to the faith.

We’ll see.

itsspideyman on February 21, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Is Obama being considered? I wonder if the paygrade of Pope is where the decision of “where does life begin” is made.

BobMbx on February 21, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Okay. And?

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Let’s just leave it at that.

Cleombrotus on February 21, 2013 at 10:58 AM

ED-
You should know Media pandering when you see it.

Or has the media idiocy of these last 5 years jaded the senses?

FlaMurph on February 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM

LaughterJones on February 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM

On second thought, Happy Nomad…what LJ said.

Cleombrotus on February 21, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Cardinal Peter Turkson

Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson is a Ghanaian cardinal of the Catholic Church. He is the president of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace since his appointment by Pope Benedict XVI on 24 October 2009. He had served as Archbishop of Cape Coast.

Stop with all this other nonsense and let’s get this Armageddon on!

LoganSix on February 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Most cardinals are still European, but the next largest contingent are Americans. There may not be enough South American or African cardinals to choose among, since the College of Cardinals likes to choose among their own number. So an American bishop is not outside the realm of possibility. It would make the growing animosity the Democrat Party has towards the Church more obvious to the World.

theCork on February 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Timothy Dolan would be my choice. But it’s up to God.

wildcat72 on February 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I’ve read about Canadian Cardinal Marc Ouellet and he seems like a good candidate. However, he himself was quoted as saying that:

… it would be “a nightmare”. He said: “I see the work the pope has to do. It is a huge responsibility. Nobody campaigns for it.”

Then there’s another U.S Cardinal who isn’t mentioned at all, but has a great track record of being a very able administrator: Cardinal Donald Wuerl, currently in Washington, D.C. But even so, IMHO, I doubt very much that any of the Cardinals from North America will be chosen, especially from the U.S.

PatriotGal2257 on February 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Born Irish Catholic, 12 years of Catholic schools, but as long as the church allows murderers like Pelosi, Kennedy et all I will no longer care who they choose as pope. The church in the US supported Obama in the last election. Eff them.

megthered on February 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Regardless of which way the “buzz” is trending, I am still firmly in support of Timothy Cardinal Dolan as the next Pope. It’s time for an American to be seriously considered. It’s certainly time to select a non-European Pope. And Cardinal Dolan is about as good as cardinals come. He could do wonders for the Church. In the coming days as we approach the conclave, he will be in my prayers.

Shump on February 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Regardless of her political positions, Laura Bush is a classy woman. One of the classiest women to come through Washington, DC in a long time. I miss having her as First Lady, and I think it’s abhorrent that she would be used in a political ad without her consent.

Laura Bush. Condoleeza Rice. Dana Perino.

Nancy Pelosi. Valerie Jarrett. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz.

I judge presidents by the company they keep…

Shump on February 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Oops. Wrong thread.

Shump on February 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM

what about bark? he does everythign else so well.

acyl72 on February 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I’m betting it’s gonna be Cardinal Lustigere (sp?) of Paris.

Cleombrotus on February 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Probably not, since Lustiger died in 2007!

The next pope is unlikely to be from the United States, because Church membership is declining in the United States, while it is growing rapidly in South America and sub-Saharan Africa. The next pope is likely to be Latin American, in order to lead the growing Latin American contingent away from “liberation theology”, an attempt to conflate Christianity with Marxism which was virulently opposed by John Paul II, one of Marxism’s most outspoken victims.

There may be an outside chance of an African pope, but this would be more unlikely, not due to racism, but because many African Catholics are converts from Islam or various animist sects, and the Church would probably want to ensure that the new Pope does not bring doctrine from other religions into the official doctrine of the Church.

Steve Z on February 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Well, you have your idea, and God has His.

That said, this chart may be interesting to you. Numerologists can take it as they will.

unclesmrgol on February 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM

megthered on February 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM

‘Nuf said.

unclesmrgol on February 21, 2013 at 2:11 PM

If only because I hate repeating myself … This Just In: Benedict XVI Still Pope!

manwithblackhat on February 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Cardinal Oellete, quebec?

Would you like some Poutine with your eggs Pope?

can_con on February 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM

CurtZHP on February 21, 2013 at 10:53 AM

With a few notable exceptions, most American bishops are more concerned with promoting socialism. Sadly, championing life and religious liberty are secondary.

Is the Holy Spirit really in charge or is God merely allowing our Catholic leaders their way? I wonder.

shinty on February 21, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Don’t make me laugh…Dolan’s train left the station the night he yuked it up with the One and gave cover to all the weak knee’d “Catholics” who ended up voting against the basic tennets of their own faith. O’Malley is not up to the task no matter how “othodox” he might seem on some basic issues like right to life…imagine that a Catholic Cardinal that is committed to opposing abortion, what is the world coming to…and that’s supposed to be a selling point for his candidacy? Madness…both O’Malley and Dolan have this little issue of politicans within their domains that have this little problem with voting for abortion, birth control provided by the government, etc…and Dolan really has a problem with a “Catholic” governor, living in sin and promoting the most extensive expansion of abortion rights in the nation…and had done nothing in response.Oh I’m sure that is going down very well in Rome. If Dolan really wanted to boost his his chances he would announce that Cuomo was banned from recieving communion in any church in the archdiocese…and then get on a plane to Rome.

ironmarshal on February 21, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Liberation theology, while still around is not the problem with Latin America. Despite what the media wants to report the Church in South America is a mess, with many priests and catholics falling victim to the need to compete with the Evangelical on their turf…masses turned into rock concerts and abandoning Catholic theology…Catholics from South America just shake their heads when they hear about the “growing” Catholic church in Latin America…it is anything but. There will be no South American Pope…not this time anyways.

ironmarshal on February 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Ahh, such egalitarianism!

Granted, in Vatican circles it probably is just that….

There Goes The Neighborhood on February 22, 2013 at 2:21 AM