Rand Paul cuts the feds a giant check, literally

posted at 3:21 pm on February 21, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

He did this last year too, actually, and so what if it’s a politically expedient and less-than-a-drop-in-the-bucket gesture? It’s about leaving no stone unturned in the quest for a more fiscally prudent bureaucracy, and I am one hundred percent for it. Via CNN:

Sen. Rand Paul cut another six-figure check to the United States Treasury Wednesday, taking the money he said he didn’t need from his office’s budget to make a tiny dent in the nation’s massive federal debt.

“We watch every purchase,” Paul, a Republican from Kentucky, said at an event next to an oversized check for $600,000. “We watch what computers we buy, what paper we buy, the ink cartridges. We treat the money like it’s our money, or your money, and we look at every expenditure.”

The $600,000 reflects more than 20% of Paul’s annual office budget, according to a press release.

Paul’s office returned half a million dollars about this time last year, adding up to a grand total of over a million dollars in savings in just his two years in the Senate. Again, taking the time to bother with even just the itty bitty chunk of the federal budget allotted to you may be a small thing, but it’s a good one. What if all Congresspeople, administrators, officials, agencies, bureaus, and departments were this frugal, instead of operating under the current use-it-or-lose-it mentality? It can be done, and that could very quickly amount to billions of dollars in government savings. It isn’t entitlement reform, but it ain’t nothin,’ either.

Federal entities have pretty much zero incentive to save money, since the faceless, ‘endless’ supply of taxpayer dollars provides for their budget — but what if we could shift the federal government toward a more business-model, free-market based structure? Sen. Paul already has one such idea on the books — giving bonuses to federal employees who find potential for savings in their departments — and it could be a great way to get that slow-moving, big-spending bureaucracy off of its entitled collective backside and actually encourage innovation and efficiency. More, please.

Mixing up the chemical makeup of the federal bureaucracy may very well be a long shot, but it’s a longer shot still if nobody bothers to even suggest it.

Fiscal conservatism, for the win.

WDRB 41 Louisville – News, Weather, Sports Community

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I voted for Romney, Mittwit.

ddrintn on February 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Really? That’s pretty surprising after you basically saying there was no difference between him and obama all summer long. Lot of good that did. How many people do you think that kind of hearsay could lead others to sit the election out?

And now you’re doing nothing but badmouth one of the few good politicians in DC all day long.

LevinFan on February 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM

LevinFan on February 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Given your propensity to hop naively onto whatever bandwagon is coming around the corner, I’ll wait and see, thanks.

ddrintn on February 21, 2013 at 9:50 PM

ddrintn on February 21, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Nevermind that I’ve stated that Rand Paul’s views on foreign policy concern me. Just ignore that.

What I asked earlier and what you conveniently ignored:

What other potential potus candidate has made as aggressive proposals such as a 5 year plan to balance the budget by cutting corporate income tax in half, 17% flat tax, and cutting regulations?

Isn’t that something to like instead of spending all day criticizing the guy for grandstanding?

LevinFan on February 21, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I remember when I was in the Air Force. Near the end of every fiscal year we were ordered to spend like crazy because if we didn’t next year’s supply budget would be cut. The base even bought a printing press that was never even uncrated to use up funds. The opposite of Rand Paul.

bw222 on February 21, 2013 at 3:47 PM

My father was in the Navy in the late 60s & he was given $25,000 to spend on photography equipment. He bought everything he could think of & still couldn’t spend it all.
And a lot of it never was even touched.
My screwl board got mad at our inept Suptd bcs they told him he needs to DEFICIT spend.
Our screwl wastes quite a bit of $$ anyway. I do not need some of the stuff they’ve foisted upon me.
So why did my property taxes go up 30%?!?!?! ( I live in the same county I teach so this crap pi$$es me off even more).

Badger40 on February 22, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I think Federal employees should receive bonuses for coming up with ideas for saving money.

Uh, no. You should receive pink slips for wasting money.

It is like the whistle blower who got $104 million for turning others in for being part of the corruption he was in. You shouldn’t get to profit off of not doing your job honestly.

LoganSix on February 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I bet Ms. Pelosi thought that was undignified.

Cindy Munford on February 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM

LoganSix on February 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM

From personal experience, it is like the shop employee who gets
fired for not adhering to EPA or OSHA regulations, then he turns around and turns his company in to the EPA, causing all sorts of headaches just from dealing with those people. Actually, not too bad, as the EPA rep had a crush on the good looking gal I chose to
deal with him (no dummy here) and let us off easy LOL.

However, there was a $750.00 OSHA fine for a ladder leaning up
against the wall. Back in the day! Probably double by now.

Amjean on February 22, 2013 at 9:34 AM

If one takes the time to listen to Rand Paul (there are videos
on youtube – one in particular where he talks about sequestration
is outstanding) you will find that he talks in a calm voice, in plain english, and tells it like it is. No doublespeak.

He is responsive to most issues; and there are so many, one cannot
keep track of them. I can see why he needs a large office staff to
answer his constituent’s questions via phone, email or mail. He
has Kentucky’s concerns and then the nation’s.

Some posters seem to ridicule the idea that he is running for
president already. I like that idea. Gives us time to know the
guy.

Some posters seem to ridicule the video of him returning money
to the govt. I like that idea also. He is telling us who he is.
Its not about grandstanding. Rand Paul is communicating with us,
telling us that he is unafraid to be known for his conservative
convictions. He is not a pretender.

I also like the fact that his suits look like they come from
JC Penney instead of Brooks Brothers!!

Amjean on February 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM

From my time in the Army as a Detachment Commander and as a civilian in Iraq under an Army contract with KBR, I can fully testify to the “use it or lose it” mentality. Stuff was bought that wasn’t needed, in great quantities sometimes, often eventually discarded, to spend all allocated money by the end of the fiscal year. It was sickening.

A better system wuld be to zero-sum all budgets every year but allow those entities which under spent to have a given percentage of unspent funds protected. That would encourage savings rather than “justify” spending every dime allocated. It’d make budgeting every year a chore, but isn’t it supposed to be?

NeoCon_1 on February 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Some posters seem to ridicule the video of him returning money
to the govt. I like that idea also. He is telling us who he is.
Its not about grandstanding. Rand Paul is communicating with us,
telling us that he is unafraid to be known for his conservative
convictions. He is not a pretender.

I also like the fact that his suits look like they come from
JC Penney instead of Brooks Brothers!!

Amjean on February 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I’ve watched him for a while as well & I like his approach to politics.
There are times where he seems to be the only guy with any common sense.
And his actions seem to speak for themselves as well.
I also used to like his father, until I heard the foreign policy whys & what nots & was turned off.
Daddy is half nuts, but the other half of his daddy is usually spot on.
I’ll continue to watch Rand Paul & hope that he does not deviate so wildly as his father did.
I do think we need to let countries start fighting for themselves.
But I don’t agree in abandoning everything overseas either.
Rand Paul is someone I like so far.

Badger40 on February 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM

It’d make budgeting every year a chore, but isn’t it supposed to be?

NeoCon_1 on February 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM

A good solution & you are quite right. Budgeting is a chore, but it should be to impress upon people the reason to conserve & question every penny spent in the public’s name.

Badger40 on February 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I just got booted off of Right Scoop for pointing out that Paul is unique only in trumpeting his give-back. Talk about an echo chamber over there.

ddrintn on February 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Maybe they booted you off because you’re incredibly annoying and they just felt like it.

Buttercup on February 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM

It seems like a the right thing to do, but it isn’t. Sen. Paul ought to have given every last dime of that money back to the people of his state. The face that he gave the money back to the ever of late unconstitutional federal government is RECKLESS.

That money doesn’t belong to the federal government; it belongs to the taxpayers, who obviously have overpaid into the system and deserve their hard-earned cash back. The right thing would have been to return it to the people, beginning with Kentucky residents.

TXJenny on February 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM

*fact (not face)

TXJenny on February 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Compare Rand Paul’s frugality with our money to Fatboi Chris Christie’s abuse of travel funds when he was a U.S. attorney and you’ll see who’s the more electable candidate in 2016.

HondaV65 on February 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM

ddrintn on February 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Buttercup on February 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Awwwww, it’s a butthurt ‘bot. Well, could be. I don’t care.

ddrintn on February 22, 2013 at 6:52 PM