NRA PAC has best fundraising month since summer

posted at 8:41 am on February 21, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

The previous best month in NRA’s PAC fundraising took place in the context of a national election.  This new haul took place in the context of a national debate.  As gun-control advocates tried to paint the NRA as an extremist group — or worse — their political action committee raised more than $1.1 million, almost double their average:

The National Rifle Association’s political action committee raised $1.1 million in January, according to the committee’s latest filing with the Federal Election Commission.

It’s the NRA’s best fundraising month since August 2012 — and reflects growing concern on the part of gun supporters that Congress and President Barack Obama are prepared to take steps to curb or limit access to firearms.

During 2011 and 2012, the committee raised, on average about $600,000 a month — for a two-year total of $14.3 million. The committee has nearly doubled their 2011-12 fundraising pace in a month full of vows from Obama and congressional Democrats to pass new gun control measures.

Suffice it to say that the two are not unrelated.  The NRA ended up with more than $2.4 million on hand by the end of January, helped by the fact that it isn’t spending too much money at the moment, at least not on political donations.  While its opponents accuse the NRA of buying politicians, only two donations went out in January, both to longtime gun-rights supporters: Reps. Lynn Westmoreland (R-GA) and Bob Goodlatte (R-VA).

On the public-relations side, though, the NRA is ready to put its cash to work.  CNN reports that Joe Biden’s trip to Connecticut won’t go unanswered:

The NRA has seen its membership rise to record levels as the gun control debate has raged since the Newtown school massacre in December. Group officials man booths at gun shows to not only build membership but to urge attendees to lobby against the proposals.

Besides new print ads, NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam told CNN the organization is tripling the buy of a web video run on various news sites. Last week CNN was the first to report the group bought $100,000 worth of ad time to air the video on various news web sites in Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, Colorado, South Dakota, and the District of Columbia, Arulanandam said. Each of the five states has a Democratic senator seeking re-election in 2014.

Both the print and web ads highlight an internal January 2013 Justice Department report entitled “Summary of Select Firearm Violence Prevention Strategies,” obtained by the NRA.

The report questioned generally the effectiveness of some of the proposed gun control measures, such as an assault weapons ban, universal background checks and magazine restrictions.

Expect the NRA PAC to have an impact in these states, and perhaps prompt a reporter or two to ask Biden why we’re not following up on failed background checks now.

Comments

A bunch of right wing extremists taking the gop down …..gop are idiots
morning joe

cmsinaz on February 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I think the world would be a whole lot safer without guns.

Bark, Pelosi, Reid and all those constitutional scholars told me so as they live in their gated communities and have armed guards 24/7. They are truly the ruling elite and we are the ungrateful serfs that fail to understand their brilliance and integrity.

acyl72 on February 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM

We just sent them money. Reluctantly, only because they supported Harry Reid, but our backs are against the wall. We answered the poll questions regarding Congressional gun grabbing too. How’s that Reid support working out for you now, LaPierre?

totherightofthem on February 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM

It isn’t for nothing that the rat-eared wonder has been named “employee of the year” in every single gun shop.

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Bitter clingers acting out.

platypus on February 21, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Do not, for a moment, think of it is a noteworthy success. Instead, consider against any given “green initiative” business – a monstrous slush fund of Democrat campaign money waiting to be tapped. You can no more out-compete Democrats in fundraising than out-promise them in Santa Claus department.

Archivarix on February 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM

BarackOcommie: Give Us Your Gun Violence Stories

An e-mail from BarackObama.com invites people to share their gun violence stories and reasons for supporting stronger gun control measures.

Comment:

Maybe we need a site to post cases where guns were used to save lives.
There already is: http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/ Posts every day of real life events where people’s lives are saved because of guns.

Colbyjack on February 21, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Results for #guncontrol

==========================================

Gun control: Future hangs on misunderstood majority of gun owners

Graphic by Rich Clabaugh/The Christian Science Monitor

canopfor on February 21, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Colbyjack on February 21, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Maybe I’ll leave one over at Barky’s site:

“So there I was, a peaceful Cambodian teacher just doing my job when a Khmer Rouge goon squad kicked down my front door, executed my entire family before my eyes using AK’s, and then forced me into a labor camp.”

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 9:07 AM

The previous best month in NRA’s PAC fundraising took place in the context of a national election. This new haul took place in the context of a national debate.
=============================

Oh Boy,it looks as if Gun-Grabber ProgTard/DemTard/LibTards have
given the NRA a Cash-Cow!

We in Canada,stand and Salute Ye!
(sarc)

canopfor on February 21, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Maybe I’ll leave one over at Barky’s site:

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 9:07 AM

That would be automatically deleted. Besides, and according to liberal logic, you weren’t shot so you’re not a ‘legitimate’ victim of gun crime.

Liam on February 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 9:07 AM

What? That’s outrageous! Didn’t you go to a safe zone, use a call box or whistle, or pee on yourself? ;0

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Why are they trying to take away the guns from law-abiding citizens, when it is the criminals who use their guns to kill, rape, and rob?

You know, it is almost as if those in power want the American Citizenry to be defenseless.

kingsjester on February 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I did pee on myself, but was then beaten with a split bamboo cane for soiling the ground of Brother #1 Pol Pot.

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Bishop:)

Umm,not to be picky,is that before or after the Fall of Siagon,and,
maybe you were asking for it!!
(sarc)

canopfor on February 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM

“Me and some fellow citizens got together and started throwing snowballs at some Hessian troops who were sent by the crown to enforce crushing taxes on us. The Hessians decided that mere snowballs were dangerous or something and started shooting which killed several of my friends; it was on King Street in Boston.”

How’s that, Mr. Preznit, gun violency enough for you?

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

kingsjester on February 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM

…you have to carry a shotgun!…ask Joe!

KOOLAID2 on February 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Umm,not to be picky,is that before or after the Fall of Siagon,and,
maybe you were asking for it!!
(sarc)

canopfor on February 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM

At this point does it even matter?

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Oh sure, that’s your side of the story, we all know you were being deliberately provocative, and throwing rocks and brickbats at those poor immigrants who were doing nothing more than just standing around trying to stay warm.

LincolntheHun on February 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Related: Bob Beckel apologized for his stupid remark about rapes at colleges. Far as I’m concerned, he should resign from The Five since throwing oneself on a sword is out of fashion these days. I’m sure MSNBC or CNN would pick him up right away.

Liam on February 21, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Happy Nomad on February 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM

That is just not right.

I think I cracked a rib.

acyl72 on February 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM