McCain to mother of Aurora shooting victim: The assault-weapons ban isn’t going to pass Congress

posted at 8:41 pm on February 21, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via TPM, skip to around 0:45 below for what’s likely to be tomorrow’s manufactured outrage du jour. The thought process on this for gun-control fans will run this way, I think: By refusing to accede to the wishes of a sympathetic victim of gun violence, McCain’s being per se inappropriate and offensive, but for this to really be useful in stirring up anger at gun-rights supporters there needs to be some more visceral element of insult contrived. Some “news” outlets aren’t above bowdlerizing a video to that end; the clip here is a little dodgy too. Here’s how the exchange was reported by KTVX:

“My 24-year-old son Alex was murdered in a movie theater in Colorado,” Caren Teves said. “These assault rifles allow the shooter to fire many rounds without having to re-load. These weapons do not belong on our streets.”.

McCain responded by sympathizing with Teves, then addressing her call for a ban on assault rifles.

“I can tell you right now you need some straight talk. That assault weapons ban will not pass the Congress of the United States,” said Sen. McCain.

McCain said his plan to deal with mass shootings would protect Second Amendment rights.

“We are working together to try to come up with a package that would prevent guns from falling into the hands of criminals while at the same time preserving our Second Amendment rights,” he said.

You don’t see him sympathize with her in the clip. She asks her question and then there’s a jump cut to him offering “straight talk.” I can’t imagine what he was supposed to say that he didn’t say, except maybe to remind her that if the AWB fails in the Senate, it’ll fail with multiple Democrats voting no. But if you still haven’t detected the hook for outrageous outrage, here’s TPM’s headline for the post: “Crowd Cheers After McCain Tells Aurora Victim’s Mother She Needs ‘Straight Talk’.” That’s untrue — they don’t applaud after he says “straight talk,” they applaud after he says the assault-weapons ban won’t pass. Phrasing it that way suggests that he was somehow rude or dismissive and that they were egging him on. In fact, they cheered because they oppose the AWB. Go figure.

But if we’re going to lend victims extra authority on the subject, set aside some time to read this.

Comments

But when we get our new and improved Obama Background Check system up and running, it won’t matter. Nobody will be able to buy a gun anyway.

JellyToast on February 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM

What a fat mouthed lie. Universal background checks most assuredly will pass congress and they ARE a defacto assault-weapons ban pretending otherwise is nothing short of mendacious malfeasance. You have to be bone numbingly stupid not to understand this.

SWalker on February 21, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Remind me again why am I supposed to believe this traitor?

Bmore on February 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Well, at least he had the chutzpah to say it. Not a fan of McLame, but I am glad he said that, anyway, whatever the truth of it.

Warner Todd Huston on February 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Of course McCain is full of shite in his “working on a package” to prevent guns from falling into th hands of criminals.

Nothing being proposed by anyone – Democrat or Republican – in Congress does anything but eff with law abiding citizens.

Criminals, by definition, don’t give a shite about the law.

catmman on February 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM

93% of all guns used in crimes came into possession by theft or some other form of deception…remind me again how their proposals address the criminals?

hillsoftx on February 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM

JellyToast on February 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Except the criminals who will simply go around the law. Meanwhile, Obama and Biden will be sitting in the Oval Office with their heads up their asses, believing that they saved trillions of lives because the criminals would never consider to defy the law.

Kingfisher on February 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM

It’s not amnesty, either.

rogerb on February 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM

He just wants to be loved by the lsm

cmsinaz on February 21, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Remind me again. Why isn’t Obama giving one of his more inspiring speeches? Won’t that cause the criminals to re-think their evil actions?

Teleprompter must be busted. Yeah, that’s it. That’s the ticket.

Kingfisher on February 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I am starting to think the best thing we can do with respect to this neanderthalic idiot is to just not cover him. Let him die in obscurity.

astonerii on February 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I cannot imagine the pain and suffering a family member of any shooting victim must feel.

But my sympathy stops when the victims and/or families of victims demand me and mine must disarm and risk suffering the same kind of murderous rampage! Because their family was shot by a murdering lunatic in a gun free zone… I too must place my family at the mercy of a murdering lunatic in a gun free zone. ‘

Sorry… I do not care how much you suffered. You have no right to tell me that I too must suffer as you have! I too must be disarmed! My children too must not be defended!
Whether they know it or not.. that is what they are demanding!

JellyToast on February 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I still don’t trust the GOP not to help enact something that isn’t necessarily an AW ban but is a collection of other crap which makes it a de-facto ban anyway.

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Columbine Survivor Pens Bold Open Letter to Obama Rejecting Gun Control: ‘Whose Side Are You On?’
Universal Background Checks

First, a universal background check will have many devastating effects. It will arguably have the opposite impact of what you propose. If adopted, criminals will know that they can not pass a background check legally, so they will resort to other avenues. With the conditions being set by this initiative, it will create a large black market for weapons and will support more criminal activity and funnel additional money into the hands of thugs, criminals, and people who will do harm to American citizens.

Second, universal background checks will create a huge bureaucracy that will cost an enormous amount of tax payers dollars and will straddle us with more debt. We cannot afford it now, let alone create another function of government that will have a huge monthly bill attached to it.

Third, is a universal background check system possible without universal gun registration? If so, please define it for us. Universal registration can easily be used for universal confiscation.

Colbyjack on February 21, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM

From the beginning I was curious about this. “Universal Background Check.”… What the heck does that mean anyway? We have background checks now. You can’t buy a gun now without a background check. So what are they going to change? What do they mean by the world “Universal.” And anytime you got RINO’s and Democrats agreeing on something… not a good sign.

So what are they going to make different? We going to get fingerprinted now? Parking tickets going to throw up red flags on your next gun buy? What political groups we belong to? Facebook groups? Where we donate money? Haven’t paid your mortgage on time? What? They going to go around questioning your neighbors?

They don’t need an Assault Weapons Ban.. give them an inch and they will confiscate it all if they can get away with it.

JellyToast on February 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM

If firearms and ammunition sales are any indication, then a large percentage of American citizen recognize that America is headed for a violent bloody civil war. It is inevitable because the self anointed political aristocracy both GOP and Dem no longer believe in or practice the Constitutional republican principals laid down in our Constitution. Instead they believe themselves to be wise benevolent aristocrats who govern over imbeciles to stupid to make the right decision regarding their own lives.

SWalker on February 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM

We just can’t win for losing can we?

Scrumpy on February 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM

SWalker on February 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Right on!

Scrumpy on February 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM

It will be fine. So you have to background your own child to give them a tube mag .22 rifle that belonged to your grandad, what’s the big deal about that? C’mon…this is about making the streets of America safer.

Bishop on February 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM

The young Chicago woman that played at Obama’s emaculation..
Was killed by:
A) A gun
B) A law abiding person with a gun
C) A not so law abiding person with a gun
D) A dangerous, angry person that attained a gun unlawfully and has no problem using it on anyone he/she likes.

Electrongod on February 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM

We just can’t win for losing can we?

Scrumpy on February 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM

To quote Sammy Hagar:

20-20 there’s nothin’ wrong with my vision Yet I can’t seem to make a good decision Ooh I can hear alright except for good advice…

SWalker on February 21, 2013 at 9:14 PM

SWalker on February 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Read this the other day and saved it.

Do the math and wonder why the Govt. is purchasing way more ammunition than they ever have in the past. And then they wonder why there are conspiracy theorists.

arnold ziffel on February 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM

“One reason most conservatives are very concerned about universal background checks is that’s the beginning of the end of government controlling every aspect of our lives,” Hatch said Thursday.

This and 0bamacare and his agencies creating their own rules…

The demise of the American way of life and the Constitution is rolling downhill faster every day…

I wring my hands, I hang my head as I watch America being raped every day by our politicians…

It is painful…

My heart breaks.

Mon Soupir

Scrumpy on February 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I had family members murdered. I bought guns.

Sympathy doesn’t trump logic. Victims don’t get an extra vote.

I know well the pain my family went through, yea, a child was involved. And a father,,and a mother.

We gunned up vowing never to be victims again.

And we haven’t been.

wolly4321 on February 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM

As they are defining it, ‘Universal Background Check’ will comprise the current process for background checks extended to all firearms transactions, not just dealers but sales between private vendors – even if you buy a firearm for one of your children or if you are handed down firearms from a family member, etc.

Now, on its face, it makes a certain amount of sense and is all the low-information voter cares about.

The catch is, these checks will require the addition of the firearm information (serial numbers, weapon type, caliber, etc). Currently, only the buyer is checked. They have their drivers license number checked (or other state identifier). This new check will allow a database to be created which will be a de-facto government registration of firearms, ultimately.

catmman on February 21, 2013 at 9:22 PM

SWalker on February 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Read this the other day and saved it.

arnold ziffel on February 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I’ve done the math, the only thing I wonder about is… When, not if.

SWalker on February 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Now, on its face, it makes a certain amount of sense

catmman on February 21, 2013 at 9:22 PM

It only makes sense if you do not mind being sent off by the government to a gulag.

SWalker on February 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I’ve done the math, the only thing I wonder about is… When, not if.

SWalker on February 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM

You mean you don’t think everything will be fine? ;)

arnold ziffel on February 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I’ve done the math, the only thing I wonder about is… When, not if.

SWalker on February 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM

You mean you don’t think everything will be fine? ;)

arnold ziffel on February 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM

The next few decades will be painful and devastating. When a civil war finally erupts, we will be on the losing side.

Tyranny has won decisively, and we can’t reverse it.

Myron Falwell on February 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM

The more these gun violence victims repeat the democrats talking points like programmed robots the less sympathy I have for them. My best friend was shot in the back and killed by an 18 year old punk kid who was mad because he got his ass kicked in a street fight. My friend wasnt even involved. He showed up at the scene after the fight was already over. Never for a minute did I blame the semiautomatic pistol and the hollow point bullet used to gun down my friend. My anger was directed squarely at the cowardice trash who pulled the trigger.

Enough is enough. Her anguish doesn’t give her the right to take our rights away. I’m sorry her son is dead, he didn’t deserve it. But we live in a free society and that comes with risks. Unfortunately her son was caught in the path of a madman. We were given the right to keep and bear arms as a means to protec ourselves against such madmen. MOLON LABE.

jawkneemusic on February 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Jelly Toast, I read your comment twice. Not because I didn’t understand it but because I did.
Wish more people understood this issue as well as you do. Thanks.

countrybumpkin on February 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Read this the other day and saved it.

arnold ziffel on February 21, 2013 at 9:19 PM

hmmm…

Dixon said one of the contracts would allow Homeland Security to buy up to 750 million rounds of ammunition over the next five years for its training facilities. The rounds are used for basic and advanced law enforcement training for federal law enforcement agencies under the department’s umbrella. The facilities also offer firearms training to tens of thousands of federal law enforcement officers. More than 90 federal agencies and 70,000 agents and officers used the department’s training center last year.

2,142 bullets per agent per year… if their aim is that poor perhaps Biden should get them all shotguns. Seems more cost effective in the long run…

elgeneralisimo on February 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

…who keeps making Senile McCain the spokesmaid for everything?

KOOLAID2 on February 21, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Tyranny has won decisively, and we can’t reverse it.

Myron Falwell on February 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Yep, King George was unbeatable, there was no way to fight the British empire. It was hopeless.

Glad you weren’t around to cheer the colonists back then.

AZfederalist on February 21, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Hopefully none of this made him sad, that would be a national shame.

Panther on February 21, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Glad to see McCain stand a little ground here, but the larger point seems to be ignored I guess. As if guns are the reason these things happen. Does anybody even care anymore about the actual killers? I hardly ever hear about them particularly any outrage over them. 95% of all discussion after these things is about guns? So a crazy guy hell bent on murdering children is going to be have second thoughts because of some background check? Maybe he’ll just resort to burning down the school then, and we can call for tough restrictions on matches.

Sorry, just ranting.

Dongemaharu on February 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM

SWalker on February 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Which is what the low information voters don’t understand.

They’ll go along with this shite because all they know is what they hear regurgitated to them.

catmman on February 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Glad you weren’t around to cheer the colonists back then.

AZfederalist on February 21, 2013 at 10:04 PM

The colonists had more testicular fortitude than any of us will ever possess, plus they had some high-ranking allies.

We have John McCant, BOHICA Bohenor, Mitt Romney, and cancers like Karl Rove and Ann Coulter sabotaging anything and everything we do. Add that a Fourth Estate Media and millions of low-info voters permanently brainwashed Socialists and it becomes virtually impossible.

And you want me to lie and say we can win? Figures.

Myron Falwell on February 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM

heartless savage republicans- what a shock

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Yea, we may not win. Question is do you want to live to see what happens if we don’t try? I don’t. I’ll fight.

I have a line that won’t be crossed and it’s personal. Has little to do with mccain, coulter, christie, boner, et al.

Has to do with me.

wolly4321 on February 21, 2013 at 10:23 PM

heartless savage republicans- what a shock

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM

That’s how we roll. You should see the good times at the annual Puppy Stomp.

sharrukin on February 21, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Has to do with me.

wolly4321 on February 21, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I’m just worried I’ll shoot myself in the foot by accident.

Myron Falwell on February 21, 2013 at 10:28 PM

heartless savage republicans- what a shock

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Yep, we kind of resent being made into unarmed victims because some deranged person chose to use a particular tool to carry out his mayhem. If he had chosen a vehicle and run down those victims, most sane people would not be calling for bans on assault cars. I say sane people because we know there are some insane libs who hate cars and might very well call for such a ban. It was the perp and the gun free zones that contributed to these deaths, not the firearm.

AZfederalist on February 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM

AZfederalist on February 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM

The SUV tends more often than not to be personalized in news stories. (“SUV drives through open market, killing five, injuring ten…”) So yeah.

Myron Falwell on February 21, 2013 at 10:35 PM

That’s how we roll. You should see the good times at the annual Puppy Stomp.

sharrukin on February 21, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I love you. See you tonight at the cross burnin. :)

arnold ziffel on February 21, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I love you. See you tonight at the cross burnin. :)

arnold ziffel on February 21, 2013 at 10:35 PM

The goober probably believes all of it too.

sharrukin on February 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM

AZfederalist on February 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM

just the “cost of freedom” ay? something tells me you gun and war-loving old testament savages just love hearing these stories of gun violence in our nation every single day, just how you love to re-enact wars, you people can’t get enough blood-lust.

sick, sick people you are

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Gives us a real woody.

sharrukin on February 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Myron Falwell on February 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Speak for yourself Torie.

jawkneemusic on February 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Gives us a real woody.

sharrukin on February 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM

not to mention the small guns in-between your plump, pasty legs that make you need AR-15′s to make you feel like real men!

oh wait, it’s the hordes of black panthers are out to invade your homes to steal the gold that glenn beck sold you at double the price, that’s why a regular handgun won’t suffice ay?

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM

sick, sick people you are
DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Ooooh, you’re scary on the Internet hiding behind your keyboard.

Cowardice freedom hating slime.

jawkneemusic on February 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM

You can’t legislate away evil, unfortunately, especially by excising the Liberties of those who are not evil in the first place.

But in the Leftist mind, mere ownership of weapons is evil even if you never commit a crime in your life, so any hope of a rational discussion on all this breaks down.

To the Left, power should only be in the hands of the State, because the Masses are too ignorant to be trusted with power.

Typical Socialist paternalism.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Cowardice freedom hating slime.

jawkneemusic on February 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM

The freedom my side cares most about is the freedom for 6 year olds to go to school and not get slaughtered by weapons of war, not the freedom to fulfill your violent wingnut fantasies of war agianst the government soldiers you all claim to support so much….

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM

We have to compensate for a small johnson somehow. Hey, we’re’ the victim here.

Seriously, are you a computer program? The nonsense you’re pushing is like some computer generated liberal talking points program. Have you ever had an original thought in your life?

sharrukin on February 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Exhibit A. She’ll be the first to turn you in.

Cleombrotus on February 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Except in Chicago of course because black kids don’t count right?

sharrukin on February 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM

DBear

Stop molesting children, you piece of crap.

xblade on February 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM

what a shock

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM

…FO DStupid!…frightening that such an idiot is walking around on the streets!…you play a lot of video games?

KOOLAID2 on February 21, 2013 at 10:53 PM

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM

And think she’s just being a “good citizen, comrade.”

Cleombrotus on February 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Stop molesting children, you piece of crap.

xblade on February 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM

you must have me confused with a catholic priest

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:58 PM

DBear

No doubt a conclusion you’ve come to after conducting LOT’S of oral interviews.

xblade on February 21, 2013 at 11:02 PM

you must have me confused with a catholic priest

peDoBear

Nope, no confusion, child molester.

xblade on February 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM

No doubt a conclusion you’ve come to after conducting LOT’S of oral interviews.

xblade on February 21, 2013 at 11:02 PM

hehe, yep but no conservatives. I don’t give conservative gays the time of day

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM

jawkneemusic on February 21, 2013 at 11:16 PM

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Life’s a bitch. It’s rarely ever fair and some suffer because of it. POS like you make the world even less fair and filled with more death, poverty, rape, destruction and chaos. If it wasn’t for scum like you and your deadly gun free zones, less children would be dead and less woman would be raped. Scum like you prefer rape victims and dead children to our god given right to self defense. There are two kinds of people in this world. Predators and prey. You want to cut the horns off the gazelle in hopes it will stop the lion from preying on it. To that I say MOLON LABE.

jawkneemusic on February 21, 2013 at 11:17 PM

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Life is rarely ever fair and some suffer because of it. POS like you make the world even less fair and filled with more death, poverty, rape, destruction and chaos. If it wasn’t for scum like you and your deadly gun free zones, less children would be dead and less woman would be raped. Scum like you prefer rape victims and dead children to our god given right to self defense. There are two kinds of people in this world. Predators and prey. You want to cut the horns off the gazelle in hopes it stops the lion from preying on it. To that I say MOLON LABE.

jawkneemusic on February 21, 2013 at 11:18 PM

If only he cared enough to not allow a complete buffoon and anti-American seat-warmer to Sec Def.

StubbleSpark on February 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM

jawkneemusic on February 21, 2013 at 11:16 PM

lol oh yes, if only those 6 year olds had all had guns! dang gun-free schools! we are all still in the wild west apparently YEEE HAWWW well guess what wingnut times have changed and people have evolved, except for you violent knuckle-draggers, luckily you are being out-voted, makes me scared as to what you types will do though when you really feel powerless, you will probably be wanting to use those guns you love so much, hopefully just against yourself and no one else though

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Who said anything about arming 6 year olds nimrod? Utah has allowed teachers and staff to carry concealed for years. No accidents, no school shootings.

-F

jawkneemusic on February 21, 2013 at 11:29 PM

McCain is a Jerk.

Schadenfreude on February 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM

DBear on February 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Idiot, the criminals will have access to all the guns and your kid will be more vulnerable than ever. Think!!!

Schadenfreude on February 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM

elgeneralisimo on February 21, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Except that no one trains with hollow points.

And you should read the story of truck driver delivering a semi full of ammo to the feds and upon unloading seeing a warehouse full to the top (literally), including a ton of 12ga slugs. When asked, agent accepting the delivery said with a smile, “We call them door openers”.

Yep feds are definitely arming for “training”. Let’s stop being naive.

riddick on February 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM

More kabuki theater.

Govt doesn’t care if you own guns. Their strategy is to overwhelm the market by exercising options to buy 10s of millions of rounds of ammo. Existing contracts mandate manufacturers to apply 100% resources to filling the orders. That way no retail capacity exists and ammo prices “necessarily” skyrocket due to lack of availability.

freedomfirst on February 22, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Maybe we can pressure the House of Representatives to vote against whatever the Senate passes.

MCGIRV on February 22, 2013 at 12:51 AM

And you want me to lie and say we can win? Figures.

Myron Falwell on February 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM

You need a history lesson, Eeyore. It was estimated that at the point in which the first shot of the American Revolution was fired, fully 1/3 of the colonists were British loyalists who actively desired to stay under the crown’s protection. Another 1/3 of the colonists were indifferent. That makes 2/3 of the population that, at the time, could not be counted on to aid the rebellion.

Of course the victor writes the history books, but don’t you think the leaders back then thought things were a little bleak, too?

gryphon202 on February 22, 2013 at 6:43 AM

gryphon202 on February 22, 2013 at 6:43 AM

I have yet to see ONE SINGLE PERSON stand up and be counted, let alone 1/3 of our population.

fossten on February 22, 2013 at 7:00 AM

The assault-weapons ban isn’t going to pass Congress

What worries me is that the larger assault on 2A, federal background checks, may be passed, then inevitably to lead to federal gun registration. Once they know who owns the guns, taxation/regulation/confiscation is a piece of cake.

If there are background checks, they must be state and local, with reliable provisions that the info is periodically destroyed and never used for a registry.

petefrt on February 22, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Well, I have now officially had it.

Done. Cooked. Screwed. Whatever you want to call it.

Take a look at your future, rest of the country, this will be knocking at your door soon enough.

Gatsu on February 22, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Good lord, this is all very harsh on McCain.

Someone who has lost a family member deserves the truth as the speaker sees it, not misleading pandering designed solely to reduce the speaker’s own discomfort. He gave that to her. Good for him. Not every politician would have been so forthright.

Chuckles3 on February 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Thanks, Catmman, for explaining the inner workings of the ‘universal background check’. They do seem to drag out that word universal to cover a lot of manure up, like amnesty. The feds knowing what kinds of guns we have and who in the family has them is not necessary and won’t stop any nut with a gun from shooting people. They have totally skirted around the problem, which is criminals with guns and people with mental illness with guns. There’s probably just as many with mental illnesses as there are with lawbreaking mindsets. The one can be helped by doctors if they can be identified more readily, and the other can be dealt with by the police.

Kissmygrits on February 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM

catmman on February 21, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Ding ding ding!

petefrt on February 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM

hillsoftx on February 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM

They’re going to outlaw deception, duh! With an exception for politicians, of course.

wolly4321 on February 21, 2013 at 9:21 PM

My sympathy for your loss, and my hope that your attitude and actions can help someone else not be a victim, too.

GWB on February 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM

DBear on February 21, 2013

This idiot might want to check with that other idiot, lostnannystate. Her “shame and embarrassment” campaign didn’t work either.

CurtZHP on February 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Making more laws and not enforcing them makes about as much sense as re-electing this idiot. Law abiding citizens do not need more laws and the criminals thumb their noses at all the laws. From the moment this country substituted political correctness for common sense we were destined for trouble.

savage24 on February 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I am sick and tired of the stupid argument of “if the shooter had fewer bullets and had to reload he wouldn’t kill so many people”. Are you kidding me?!

ptcamn on February 22, 2013 at 12:07 PM

To those who find guns scary, who don’t like feeling scared, and therefore want to take guns away from others, please think on this:

If guns are that scary, then showing them being used by cool people like Hollywood stars in lethal ways must be even scarier than a gun sitting quietly in a gun safe. Let’s ban violent video games, movies, and TV shows!

Think that tramples on your first amendment rights? Think first amendment trumps second amendment?

Then, let’s tax ‘em instead. Tax ‘em hard. Tax ‘em good. Sin taxes. Good. Sin. Bad.

You want to watch a violent movie or TV show? Fine. Pay an excessive violence tax (EVT) of $5 per show. Want a first-person shooter video game? Fine, pay a $25 EVT.

But before you get to watch your violence, you must first take a required course in violence awareness and anger management. Oh, and you must pass the test. Fee: $25.

Wait. If you have violent shows or games at home, you must store them under lock and key so that impressionable kids can’t get them and watch them. Price vary, but violence safes range from under $100 to over $1,000. Remember, if you save one life from senseless violence, then it is worth it.

There’s more. On top of this, if you want to purchase or rent a violent show or video game, you must submit to a required 30 day background check. We will check if you have domestic violence warrants or arrests, whether you were caught pointing a finger gun in school, whether you have a violent criminal conviction, whether you neighbors or family says you have been observed to be angry, or that you might have psychological violence issues.

Undergoing such a check will put your name in a national database of violence prone so that you can be first suspects in case anyone around your area commits an act of violence. Of course, state employee bureaucrats will administer the system and I am sure that they will do a much better job than the credit rating agencies in the private sector do, and there will be fewer than 10% errors in the system. That’s our goal, anyway, well, maybe less than 25% errors, wait, less than 40%. Right. 40% is a good goal.

If a violent crime is committed by someone in your area, then local newspapers and Internet sites for the community must publish a list of people in the violence database with a Google map with a pin on their home address so we can all see who you are.

In fact, it would be a good idea for law enforcement to place a sign on your lawn that this house is home to a violence offender.

Oh yeah, once in the database, you cannot live within 2 miles of a public or private school, you cannot be a scout leader, or a member of the boys and girls club, or any organization that includes children. You will not be allowed to visit relatives with children under the age of 26 that are living in the house, no make that under 33.

The only exception to these rules will be for military and police, who get a an opposite test to see if there is enough violence in them to warrant investing video games and shows for the public defense. We do want to nurture violence in part of that part society that keeps the rest of us in check and under constant scrutiny.

Oh, and the other exception, of course, will be for any member of federal, state, or local government, members of their family (immediate and extended family members), and political contributors, and members of public service unions who work for these same government institutions.

Finally, all citizens will be required to turn over all violent movies, video games, TV shows, audios, books, anything with violence in them by a specific deadline, and we mead dead line, er, no, that’s a violent thought. These materials will be confiscated. You may have them back by submitting to the process above. New, used, or grandfathered, it makes no difference. Everything must be checked, and if violent, then taxed. This is the Australian theory of societal control and mastery. Take ‘em all; take every last one.

You know? This started out tongue in cheek, but I like the idea.

Write your Congressperson and tell her, Diane, support the Violence Into love Empowerment Act of 2013 (VILE), and Barbara, consider taxing the Hollywood studios that make violent movies and TV show $5 million per episode or show (EVT). That ought to help California keep up its spending habit.

billrowe on February 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM