Mitt Romney to speak at CPAC for some reason

posted at 4:01 pm on February 20, 2013 by Allahpundit

Everyone will applaud politely, of course, but there’s no way to avoid the ineffable awkwardness that will surround this speech. Then again, if there’s one thing Romney does well, it’s ineffable awkwardness. (“Severely conservative”?) Maybe it’ll just feel like old times.

Alternate headline: “Man to appear at event devoted to repudiating him.”

Former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney will appear at the Conservative Political Action Conference next month, according to two sources familiar with the event’s itinerary. Romney’s speech, which will be delivered at the Gaylord National hotel in Prince George’s County, Md., marks the former Massachusetts governor’s return to the political scene.

After he lost the presidential election, Romney decamped to his beachfront home in La Jolla, Calif. But friends say he has become somewhat restless, and he’s eager to contribute to the national debate. Sources say he’ll likely focus on economic and fiscal issues, and that his message will be optimistic.

“This is really an opportunity for Governor Romney to thank all his supporters and friends,” says a senior Romney aide.

Sample Twitter reaction:

He’ll be okay. As angry as people are at him for the catastrophic technological gap with Obama’s campaign, I think there’s some sympathy for him as a guy who was ultimately crushed by larger forces. He did himself no favors with the “self-deportation” line but Republicans have been getting creamed among Latino voters for decades and there are now more Latino voters than ever before. He did himself no favors with the “47 percent” line either but Harry Enten made a compelling case yesterday at the Guardian that, as counterintuitive as it seems, economic indicators ahead of the election all pointed to a close but comfortable Obama win. No one, I think, disagrees with the proposition that the GOP has big problems and that those problems are bigger than Romney. That’s not to excuse his screw-ups during the campaign, just to say that I think that awareness will inform the audience’s reception of him at CPAC.

But yeah, it’ll still be awkward. For two reasons. One: The whole GOP storyline of the past three months has been about tomorrow’s party rock stars trying to undo the damage from the “47 percent” and “self-deportation” business. Jindal’s been killing him on the former and Rubio, through his immigration efforts, has been killing him on the latter. (This recent headline says it all.) It’s bizarre to have the avatar of the old order speaking alongside guys whose big pitch is all about how wrong he was. Two: Romney’s split personality as the ObamaCare-pioneering RINO who wants illegals to self-deport and the “takers” to do more to become “makers” is emblematic of the party’s split personality right now. The leadership, in the form of Rubio, Jindal, Ryan, Christie et al., desperately wants to carve out space in the center but there’s still a chunk of the conservative base that agrees with Mitt about attrition through enforcement and makers-and-takers. Look no further than McCain’s town hall last night. Which Romney shows up at CPAC? Which gets applauded?

Exit question: Er, how does Romney intend to “contribute to the national debate”? Apart from occasional guest shots on Fox News, what platform does he have?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 7

Well I see that Mittwits continue to emulate the Daily Kos..:)

idesign on February 20, 2013 at 6:34 PM

They can only go so long before the mask, inevitably, begins to slip. ;)

Kent18 on February 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I think I was called a terrorist.

Good times. The Romneybots were, without a doubt, the most obnoxious commenters of those who claim to be in the center.

INC on February 20, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Yup, and I will stick it to every one of the Mittwits at any opportunity. Hate filled bastards.

katy the mean old lady on February 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM

What was it that Romney’s own son said about his Dad?……something like he didn’t want to win.

CPAC, what hath become of ye?

What next Boehner and Mitch McConnell? McCain? Tom Coburn?

PappyD61 on February 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM

We already know what he’s going to say. “Obama is a nice guy, he’s just in over his head… blah, blah, blah”

MPan on February 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM

MPan on February 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Or he will jump on the amnesty bandwagon and become the darling of the media again.

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Mitt Romney to speak at CPAC

I’ll watch. I’ll probably cry, but I’ll watch.

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these,
‘It might have been’.”

lynncgb on February 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM

The biggest problem facing the GOP is the lack of competent pundits. The guy who wrote the above quote is Exhibit A.

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Exhibit A: Mittwitt turd

katy the mean old lady on February 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Perhaps a good solution would be to severely limit what any candidate can spend in the primaries.

But regardless, as imperfect as he was, Mitt got the nomination.
Perfect is the enemy of good.

If you stayed home, stop bichin about the obamination.

WryTrvllr on February 20, 2013 at 6:47 PM

So Romney wins the nomination, tries his best in the general, runs a great campaign, tries to help us defeat Obama and we insult him for it?

You wanna know what the problems are with the Right, just read this post by AllahPundit and the belligerent comments below.

When Romney said 47% of people wouldn’t vote for him because they are dependent upon the gov’t, who disagrees with him? I dare you. I DARE you.

You can’t have it both ways. You want truthful conservative candidates, or you want Karl Rove’s Electables. You can’t hate on Romney for telling the truth and then complain that he didn’t tell the truth enough.

Not like it matters. The GOP will never win another presidential election again.

Crefonso on February 20, 2013 at 6:48 PM

We’re getting Rick rolled on immigration. Rubio comes up with a plan that in all practical respects looks like the same thing McCain & Grahmnesty had to retreat on in 2007. Then Obama comes out with a plan to the LEFT of that one…So now Rubio et. al. can look good by standing up to BHO’s crazy liberal plan while passing their own nearly as crazy liberal plan and claiming victory. Meanwhile 11 million new Dems are born.
Here’s an idea…NONE OF THE ABOVE.
We didn’t like it the first time around and it stinks worse the 2nd time coming from a guy I’d really like to vote for otherwise.

camaraderie on February 20, 2013 at 6:48 PM

“What is most beautiful in life, Conan?”

“I will tell you what is most beautiful in life. It is to see the RINO Mittwits fall asleep in a half-empty ballroom while their store mannequin idol puts them into a coma delivering a defense of MassCare. That is what is most beautiful in life”.

“Will we live to see it happen, Conan?”

“No, we will be a packed ballroom listening to Palin. Only after Palin speaks will we have to listen to the Lamentations of Kathleen Parker. And that is not what is most beautiful in life at all.”

victor82 on February 20, 2013 at 6:50 PM

If you stayed home, stop bichin about the obamination.

WryTrvllr on February 20, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I voted Romney and I still do not complain about Obama. Obama is something I have no control over. I do not vote in their primaries, I do not donate to their causes, I do not vote for them. There is nothing I can do with Obama and I never could do anything to him, so he will never listen to me.

Instead, I put my effort in where I am supposed to have some power. The place where I can send money, where I vote in the primaries, where I vote in the general.

astonerii on February 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Crefonso on February 20, 2013 at 6:48 PM

The bolded part is only truth in that sentence.

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM

… our candidate …

Mr. Arkadin on February 20, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Well, I doubt that he was YOUR candidate. And, I NEVER SAID that it was a disgrace for Romney to speak at CPAC – because I don’t think it is.

You see, you out yourself when you say ridiculous things like this …

the quitter who wouldn’t run against Romney and the guy who lost to Romney in the primary after making himself a national laughing stock over contraception will be there.

Only democrats/liberals call Sarah Palin “a quitter”, etc., and only liberals fell for the liberal-media spin on Rick Santorum’s contraception position (which was never a part of his campaign, and was limited to a single question and answer in a debate).

Just FYI – Rick Santorum’s position was that a state should have the right to ban the sale of contraceptive, if they choose to, under the 10th amendment (just as states ban the sales of other items) – he views it as a states’ rights issue. (Santorum stated in the past that his opinion was formed in response to the Supreme Court overturning both sodomy laws and contraceptives bans – and overriding state laws). The media ran with this and trashed Santorum over it, just as they trash all conservatives over such issues. Santorum never said he would ban or outlaw contraceptives, as the media claimed.

Pork-Chop on February 20, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Romney had absolutely 0 conservative accomplishments in politics his entire life. Anyone supporting him in the Republican party either are stupid or they idolized him, meaning he was given greater than actually earned status.
Hell he even voted for Democrats. He ran to the left of Teddy Kennedy! Seriously, people do not understand this stuff or is it that you just refuse to face reality?

astonerii on February 20, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Romney’s entire life has been one of conservative accomplishment. People bemoan the fact politicians go to Washington to do well rather than good. Romney was the exception to this rule. And what did this man of incredible private sector success and problem solving ability get for his trouble? Nothing but abuse from nobodies like you.

It’s no wonder so few quality people are attracted to politics. Who needs it.

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 6:55 PM

The bolded part is only truth in that sentence.

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM

It was also the most important part

WryTrvllr on February 20, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Romney’s entire life has been one of conservative accomplishment.

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Like Warren Buffett and Bill Gates.

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Romney’s entire life has been one of conservative accomplishment.

Where do you even start with people like this?

rdbrewer on February 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM

astonerii on February 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM

If you voted Romney then you have every right to bitch about the upcoming personal protection weapon ban.

WryTrvllr on February 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM

It was also the most important part

WryTrvllr on February 20, 2013 at 6:55 PM

No, it was the least important part. John McCain also won and so did Bob Dole. That meant very little. They weren’t willing to fight so it was a Contract For Failure that the GOP is all too willing to sign every election cycle.

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Crefonso on February 20, 2013 at 6:48 PM

The bolded part is only truth in that sentence.

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Every word of Crefonso’s statement is true. When it comes to Mitt, you have a perfect record of distortion.

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Yeah. The Mittwitts are pretty obnoxious, and there was plenty wrong with Romney’s campaign. But those things are dwarfed by the irresponsibility and ignorance of the “conservative” purists who stayed at home and re-elected Obama.

Martin Luthier on February 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Romney’s entire life has been one of conservative accomplishment.

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Like Warren Buffett and Bill Gates.

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Another distortion. Buffet and Gates supported Obama. Romney ran against Obama against substantial odds and substantial opposition from people like you who think they are conservative.

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Martin Luthier on February 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM

They aren’t your property and they aren’t livestock. You don’t own their vote and if they don’t want to vote for your crummy candidate they don’t have to. You people seem to think that conservatives belong to you and that its the moderates you choose to dance for.

Two failed presidential elections and you still trot out the same stupid lines.

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 7:04 PM

It’s no wonder so few quality people are attracted to politics. Who needs it.

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 6:55 PM

It is why I made the specific statement I did. That in politics, he had an absolute 0 lifetime accomplishment rating. Every accomplishment he made in politics was progressive, like his views.

I do not care about his personal life, he was running for election to a position of power over me, not to be my friend. With that as the situation, his political outcomes are the only paramount information I need to know.

You debate like a progressive who has been finally cornered and forced to debate. Funny that!

astonerii on February 20, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Another distortion. Buffet and Gates supported Obama.

They had as many conservative accomplishments as Romney did.

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Tell us what Romney’s conservative accomplishments were?

Romneycare?

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Martin Luthier on February 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM

You know I keep hearing about these mythological purist that stayed home, but I don’t know any. In fact, everyone who is ragging on Romney on these threads has emphatically stated that they drug their butts out and voted for him. I do know that Honda voted for Obama, and know several Paultards libertarians who went Gary Johnson route. I am still waiting to hear about the droves of mythological purists who stayed home. And if you find some, you might want to ask yourself if there was something repulsive to the base about the candidate. If that was the case, then we had the wrong candidate.

melle1228 on February 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:03 PM

It is not a distortion of any kind. Both of those people created wealth like Romney did in their personal lives, and because of his wealth creation you argue he is conservative. It is you who is distorting.

astonerii on February 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I still think of them as Mittler Youth.

Bmore on February 20, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Two failed presidential elections and you still trot out the same stupid lines.

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Yeah I think they have this whole politics thing mixed up. Voters don’t work for the candidates. Candidates work for votes. And if somehow the candidates don’t reach the voters, it is the candidates problem- not the voters.

Remember when the electorate instinctively knew that Washington DC worked for us? Yeah I am having a hard time as well.

melle1228 on February 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Martin Luthier on February 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Obnoxious? Why, because we refused to be deterred by the Ignoranti who couldn’t take 1% of what they dished out? We Mittwits are like Mitt. We fight against all odds. I enjoyed fighting for the underdog with the genius to turn this nation around.

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I’m sure you know this, maybe not, you are wasting keystrokes on the beta boy.

Bmore on February 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Or maybe you are investing them with a cause in mind. ; ) Never mind, carry on. Lol!

Bmore on February 20, 2013 at 7:09 PM

melle1228 on February 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM

That isn’t how they see the moderates.

The moderates they do anything for.

Conservatives are who they think of as property.

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I’m sure you know this, maybe not, you are wasting keystrokes on the beta boy.

Bmore on February 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I know but I was raised in a household of professional arguers.

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM

[Conservatives] aren’t your property and they aren’t livestock. You don’t own their vote and if they don’t want to vote for your crummy candidate they don’t have to. You people seem to think that conservatives belong to you and that its the moderates you choose to dance for.

Two failed presidential elections and you still trot out the same stupid lines.

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 7:04 PM

WILD.
SUSTAINED.
STANDING.
OVATION.

Kent18 on February 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Mostly because not only were you rude, thug level rude, but you were wrong and refused to ever face the truth of your idolized candidate. Like Obama, idiots of all persuasions cast their dreams and views onto him as a canvas. The fact that his loss was not enough to waken you up makes it even worse.

But that is OK, because people like you get to suffer the most.

astonerii on February 20, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 6:05 PM

The Reason Romney Lost:

if Sarah Palin had backed the only candidate with a prayer of defeating Obama and the Primary had ended after Florida Mitt Romney would likely have won.

Basilsbest on November 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM

portlandon on February 20, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Funny, I haven’t seen Mitt fight for anything the last four months.

idesign on February 20, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Basil, please stop. You are trying to convince people who knew early on that Mitt was a walking dead man. Your game isn’t selling, and it won’t here, just as the arguments against Palin didn’t sell, because they were Establishment arguments against the better interest of the Rank and File.

Having Mitt Romney give a valedictory after he loses a winnable election to the worst President in modern times (certainly the worst one since Carter) is a brutal affront to Conservatives. The man needs to retire to Private Life.

The Party? It needs a good Purge, starting with the monied Daddy Warbucks crowd. They looted the rank and file to enrich themselves, lied to the party regulars and convinced them that they actually wanted to beat him (they didn’t, Obama in office is better for Karl Rove and Ed Gillespie’s bottom line), and forced on us a candidate who was so painfully bad a campaigner that Hitler could beat him.

Now please, just stop.

victor82 on February 20, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Don’t blame Romney if Republicans didn’t get out and vote.

Besides that, I am telling you: It wasn’t a failure of Romney’s technological program so much as it was voter fraud by the Obama team. Believe me; Obama cheated.

mountainaires on February 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM

He ran a campaign based on over inflated polls, overpaid for mediocre staff, played it safe, ignored the base, and alienated hispanics & women.

Romney aimed for the Middle. He won them, but bled off everyone else.

portlandon on February 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM

katy the mean old lady on February 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I like the cut of your jib. :)

arnold ziffel on February 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Don’t blame Romney if Republicans didn’t get out and vote.

mountainaires on February 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Don’t blame the dogfood if the dogs won’t eat it. They are just disloyal pooches who should be flogged until they do like what we give them.

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM

The choice came down to Obama or Romney.

Unless I missed something

WryTrvllr on February 20, 2013 at 7:17 PM

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Lol! Must have been some good times at the supper table. ; )

Bmore on February 20, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM

If certain failed candidates were even capable of carrying their own home states and/or states in which they’d previously held office (Michigan and Massachusetts, for Mittens; Wisconsin, for Ryan) — the absolute barest minimum normally expected of any genuinely competent, competitive presidential ticket, mind you — those “odds” would have been a good deal less long, wouldn’t they…?

Kent18 on February 20, 2013 at 7:18 PM

mountainaires on February 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM

It is always a given that Democrats cheat. Get over it.

Romney did not try to earn the votes of Republicans, at least not the social conservative, the fiscal conservative ones. He did work on the defense hawks. But the rest of them? He threw to the dogs.

I think his son was right, no person wanted to be president less than Romney.

astonerii on February 20, 2013 at 7:18 PM

astonerii on February 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM

They are liberals. If he was a liberal he would be a Democrat. The Democratic Party leadership would have fallen all over themselves to have a candidate with Romney’s personal history and accomplishments. Instead of choosing that path, he ran against Kennedy in MA. For his trouble some hysterical distorting idiots who claim they are conservatives claim Romney ran to the left of Kennedy.

He’s led a very conservative life. And he and Ryan would have given us a very conservative administration, albeit with a moderate, non-threatening face.

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:18 PM

The choice came down to Obama or Romney.

Unless I missed something

WryTrvllr on February 20, 2013 at 7:17 PM

You missed any articulation regarding what Romney was going to do any different than what Obama was going to do.

Romney promised to restore $716 billion to entitlements that Obama cut.

What was Romney going to cut besides Big Bird?

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Romney is liberal too. From his own mouth. He took the path of least resistance and used useful morons like you to go the Republican route.

Name his conservative achievements.

astonerii on February 20, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Lol! Must have been some good times at the supper table. ; )

Bmore on February 20, 2013 at 7:17 PM

It always bothers my niece when we get into arguments because she thinks we are mad at each other and wants to play peacemaker. We enjoy it.

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Kent18 on February 20, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I can’t speak to why Ryan didn’t carry WI but if Mitt had carried the very liberal MA, he would have won every state in the Union. This would have been a miracle given that his opponent was supported by 90% of the media.

So if he’s so liberal why didn’t Mitt do better in MA?

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:22 PM

So if he’s so liberal why didn’t Mitt do better in MA?

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Better, more honest question: if he was so genuinely “electable,” and so (ostensibly) appealing to “moderates and independents”… why did he LOSE in the one, sole state where he had an actual, demonstrable legislative record on which to run? Why did he LOSE in his own birth state — something legitimately competitive candidates for the presidency Simply. Do. Not. DO?

Kent18 on February 20, 2013 at 7:28 PM

So if he’s so liberal why didn’t Mitt do better in MA?

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:22 PM

If Romney is so “severely conservative”, how did he get elected Governor of Mass?

portlandon on February 20, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Don’t blame Romney if Republicans didn’t get out and vote.

mountainaires on February 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I certainly will. Respondeat superior.

rrpjr on February 20, 2013 at 7:28 PM

So if he’s so liberal why didn’t Mitt do better in MA?

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Romney was elected governor of liberal MA because he’s a liberal

sauldalinsky on February 20, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Now please, just stop.

victor82 on February 20, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Yes you can at any moment..Purge???..What are you people??!!??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Mitt lost because his ground team failed him. Granted, this is somewhat odd, given that he has a history of being good at organization, but, as a candidate, he hit all the right points.
Unfortunately for everyone, Obama’s team figured out how to break the system, re-electing a failed president that should not have had a chance.

Count to 10 on February 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Let’s see Romney lost

his birth state (MI)
his home state (MA)
his vacation home state(NH)
his other vacation home state (CA)

and won his other other vacation home state (UT)

1/5. Mittbots, am I missing other states he lived in? Voters who get to know Mitt Romney don’t like Mitt Romney.

sauldalinsky on February 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Someone who knows how elections are actually won:

melle1228 on February 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Someone who does not:

Don’t blame Romney if Republicans didn’t get out and vote.

mountainaires on February 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Here endeth the lesson.

Kent18 on February 20, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Romney was elected governor of liberal MA because he’s a liberal

sauldalinsky on February 20, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Romney’s mistake was that instead of trying to make a very liberal state more conservative he should have stayed in a very conservative state like Utah. He could then have created a perfectly conservative record. If he had done that, and renounced Moronism, and given all of his money to charity, he might received the support of the Notwithmittnitwits.

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Dire Straits on February 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I guess anyone who voted for him qualified. Everything is fine, how about you? I’m working two days a week and we are going to have lots of company.

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Be careful what you wish for Skippy. The only thing standing between the GOPe and total oblivion is that so far a trusted conservative with name recognition hasn’t decided to form a 3rd party.

Mitch Rapp on February 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Keep me posted on how all that works out for ya? Iced tea or hot tea.

Trust me your thinking is a very very tiny minority. People VOTED for the liberal loon in the WH. The train left the station in November.

It’s not coming back

Redford on February 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Mitt lost because his ground team failed him.

He didn’t have a ground team. He had a top-down ORCA program that left him with all the power and he refused to share that power so that when the “Death Star” went online it failed because nobody knew how to use it and it hadn’t been tested.

but, as a candidate, he hit all the right points.

Refusing to get the Ron Paul and Palin supporters on board was hitting the right note? Wavering back and forth on getting rid of Obamacare was the point he should have made?

Count to 10 on February 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM

It was bad campaigning not a conspiracy that lost Romney the election.

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Here endeth the lesson.

Kent18 on February 20, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Lesson not learned. If Romney had done what people like you wanted him to do, he would have been defeated by an even larger margin.

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM

The problem was not Mitt Romney, but rather the American electorate. The Left’s long march through our institutions is complete. It’s over. It’s now politically incorrect not to be a socialist.

MarkNY on February 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM

It’s not coming back

Redford on February 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Then you should win handily, running a liberal in 2016… by margins of victory every last bit as impressive as those achieved by the liberals the GOP ran in ’08 and ’12.

That’ll make at least three inaugural balls for you to enjoy in all, back to back to back. Marvelous!

Kent18 on February 20, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Time to stop worrying about Gov. Romney but I hope he gets a polite reception at CPAC. I think he worked hard, he was just out geeked.

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I thought all you members of the Palin cult – who detest Romney and wrongly blame him for her downfall – nevertheless voted for Romney. So you claimed.

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM

How’d he do, trying it your way?

Did you see at the Romney inaugural, last month? That was me, waving.

Kent18 on February 20, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Good times for you I see..It is “Blue Skies” for my crew..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Mitt lost because his ground team failed him. Granted, this is somewhat odd,

Count to 10 on February 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM

It’s not odd, it’s false. The GOP grassroots in much of the west has a high percentage of Mormons who (not surprisingly) are good at knocking on doors. I’ve seen some of this first hand and they were more enthusiastic than usual in 2012. Romney had a great ground team. It’s his “Etch a Sketch” senior advisors and Mitt’s own leadership skills which were awful.

If this CPAC speech is a trial balloon for another Romney run in 2016.

Don’t run Mitt. Please, for your country.

sauldalinsky on February 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I agree..The “Seesaw” has tilted I’m afraid..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2013 at 7:46 PM

This is confusing. Aren’t CPAC speakers usually…conservative?

mythicknight on February 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Dire Straits on February 20, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Excellent. As for the seesaw, what goes up must come down.

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM

katy the mean old lady on February 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Looks like HotAir’s usual, Palin-worshipping, no-life shut-ins on Percodan are doing their usual Romney-bashing. Nothing new here.

bluegill on February 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM

mythicknight on February 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I think a quick overview of this thread would indicate that there is some flexibility in the definition of conservative.

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2013 at 7:55 PM

bluegill on February 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Yep, right on que, in you pop, S.O.S., different day.

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM

bluegill on February 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Yep, right on que, in you pop, S.O.S., different day.

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Yup. Same warm, wonderful online charm offensive that ended up netting their Anointed One a 49 state victory margin, just a few short months ago.

Oh. Oh, wait. ;)

Kent18 on February 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I hear you..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2013 at 8:10 PM

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM

The choice came down to Obama or Romney.

Unless I missed something

WryTrvllr on February 20, 2013 at 7:17 PM

You haven’t missed anything–you stated it exactly right. According to Michael Barone, Bam’s support fell by 6% from 2008 to 2012. So yes, by staying home the great pure conservative battlefighters got the president they deserve.

I hope they enjoy their victory.

Martin Luthier on February 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Kent18 on February 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Worst cheerleaders ever.

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM

bluegill on February 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I just came back from a pilgrimage to the shrine of St. Palin with no outside contact. Did Mitt win in November?

arnold ziffel on February 20, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Dire Straits on February 20, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I’m a firm believer in God’s hand, others may want to call it karma, but I think the press is going to step in it big time. I don’t believe that a group can abdicate their responsibilities to the extent that they have and not have it come back and bite them in the azz in a pretty spectacular way.

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Basilsbest on February 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Romney was hardly the underdog in getting the nomination. He was backed by the GOP establishment and by far the best funded candidate. Huntsman, who had no chance, was Romney’s only moderate opponent while a number of candidates split the more conservative vote.

Don’t make yourself and Mitt Romney out to be something you are not.

bw222 on February 20, 2013 at 8:18 PM

This is confusing. Aren’t CPAC speakers usually…conservative?

mythicknight on February 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Not necessarily in recent years.

bw222 on February 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM

bluegill on February 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM

What did they serve for dinner at the asylum tonight, bluegill? I hope you enjoyed it.

bw222 on February 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Yep, right on que, in you pop, S.O.S., different day.

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM

You best watch out, Cindy Phonyford. Bluegill’s coming after you next.

steebo77 on February 20, 2013 at 8:24 PM

And this is exactly why CPAC has become a joke. An “out of toch with the grassroots” joke.

redware on February 20, 2013 at 8:24 PM

bw222 on February 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM

They actually serve bluegill for dinner with some regularity at the asylum. That’s how The Gilled One developed the spongiform encephalopathy that now ails her.

steebo77 on February 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM

The fact that CPAC is being held in deep, deep blue Prince George’s County that went 90/9 for Obama in 2012 is more troubling that booking Romney.

Spliff Menendez on February 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Romney will only be remembered as losing to the Worst. President. Ever. Too bad he didn’t fight Obama as hard and dirty as he fought Gingrich.

Romney is totally irrelevant regarding the future of Conservatism.

Sparky5253 on February 20, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Romney is totally irrelevant regarding the future of Conservatism.

Sparky5253 on February 20, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Not true. It looks as though he will continue to be used as extensively as possible to destroy conservatism as much as the progressive right desires.

astonerii on February 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM

You know, its really too bad about that third debate. Had my gown all picked out and everything. Better luck next time?

Bmore on February 20, 2013 at 8:33 PM

At least Romney is unlikely to support a Christie candidacy.

besser tot als rot on February 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM

At least Romney is unlikely to support a Christie candidacy.

besser tot als rot on February 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I doubt that is true. They both like Obama.

astonerii on February 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM

steebo77 on February 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I understand that they are going to show the highlights of President Romney’s State of the Union Speech after dinner tonight. I hope Fishface enjoys it.

bw222 on February 20, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Maybe he’ll use his freedom from politics to make an unabashed case for conservatism. Otherwise, meh.

theperfecteconomist on February 20, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I doubt that is true. They both like Obama.

astonerii on February 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Romney strikes me as someone who will take slights, real and perceived, to his grave.

besser tot als rot on February 20, 2013 at 8:46 PM