Mitt Romney to speak at CPAC for some reason

posted at 4:01 pm on February 20, 2013 by Allahpundit

Everyone will applaud politely, of course, but there’s no way to avoid the ineffable awkwardness that will surround this speech. Then again, if there’s one thing Romney does well, it’s ineffable awkwardness. (“Severely conservative”?) Maybe it’ll just feel like old times.

Alternate headline: “Man to appear at event devoted to repudiating him.”

Former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney will appear at the Conservative Political Action Conference next month, according to two sources familiar with the event’s itinerary. Romney’s speech, which will be delivered at the Gaylord National hotel in Prince George’s County, Md., marks the former Massachusetts governor’s return to the political scene.

After he lost the presidential election, Romney decamped to his beachfront home in La Jolla, Calif. But friends say he has become somewhat restless, and he’s eager to contribute to the national debate. Sources say he’ll likely focus on economic and fiscal issues, and that his message will be optimistic.

“This is really an opportunity for Governor Romney to thank all his supporters and friends,” says a senior Romney aide.

Sample Twitter reaction:

He’ll be okay. As angry as people are at him for the catastrophic technological gap with Obama’s campaign, I think there’s some sympathy for him as a guy who was ultimately crushed by larger forces. He did himself no favors with the “self-deportation” line but Republicans have been getting creamed among Latino voters for decades and there are now more Latino voters than ever before. He did himself no favors with the “47 percent” line either but Harry Enten made a compelling case yesterday at the Guardian that, as counterintuitive as it seems, economic indicators ahead of the election all pointed to a close but comfortable Obama win. No one, I think, disagrees with the proposition that the GOP has big problems and that those problems are bigger than Romney. That’s not to excuse his screw-ups during the campaign, just to say that I think that awareness will inform the audience’s reception of him at CPAC.

But yeah, it’ll still be awkward. For two reasons. One: The whole GOP storyline of the past three months has been about tomorrow’s party rock stars trying to undo the damage from the “47 percent” and “self-deportation” business. Jindal’s been killing him on the former and Rubio, through his immigration efforts, has been killing him on the latter. (This recent headline says it all.) It’s bizarre to have the avatar of the old order speaking alongside guys whose big pitch is all about how wrong he was. Two: Romney’s split personality as the ObamaCare-pioneering RINO who wants illegals to self-deport and the “takers” to do more to become “makers” is emblematic of the party’s split personality right now. The leadership, in the form of Rubio, Jindal, Ryan, Christie et al., desperately wants to carve out space in the center but there’s still a chunk of the conservative base that agrees with Mitt about attrition through enforcement and makers-and-takers. Look no further than McCain’s town hall last night. Which Romney shows up at CPAC? Which gets applauded?

Exit question: Er, how does Romney intend to “contribute to the national debate”? Apart from occasional guest shots on Fox News, what platform does he have?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Mitt is very handsome, intelligent, attractive man. He looks like Matthew Fox’s, from Lost, distinguished, older brother. Plus it’s kinda sexy that he can speak French…..ooh la la!

sheryl on January 16, 2008 at 11:06 PM

portlandon on February 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Mitt Romney is the perfect candidate and will be a great president.

Thats right. Screw you all.

Jailbreak on March 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM

portlandon on February 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I say this with all sincerity- I think Romney is going to be a better president than Reagan.

drballard on October 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM

portlandon on February 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I think she is a better king maker. I think she needs to become the head of the RNC..

melle1228 on February 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Two points:

1) The GOP Elitists chose who heads the RNC

2) Sarah can do more good by remaining an outsider.

I hope we get her again supporting TEA Party candidates.

DannoJyd on February 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Mitt’s self-presentation reeked phoniness and weakness. He never had a chance once the public got a good, long look at him in the debates. His one good performance was a pose, just like everything else about him.

SurferDoc on February 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Mitt always reminded me of an older Clark Kent.

But in the end, the majority preferred the Steve Erkel type.

Go figure.

FlaMurph on February 21, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Two points:

1) The GOP Elitists chose who heads the RNC

2) Sarah can do more good by remaining an outsider.

I hope we get her again supporting TEA Party candidates.

DannoJyd on February 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Yeah I truly think she is a kingmaker. I refuse to give money to the RNC or any of its offshoots while the elitists run it. I hate it and its message. I am so disillusioned with this party. I just feel pretty lost. I am a little so con/little libertarian/little defense hawk/big fiscal con- and I just don’t feel like I have a place. I am sick getting tarred and feathered by my own party and hearing leftist talking points coming from Repubs..

melle1228 on February 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Astonerii: You wrote some great stuff here today!

SurferDoc on February 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Astonerii: You wrote some great stuff here today!

SurferDoc on February 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM

That is a rarity.
Thanks.

astonerii on February 21, 2013 at 12:06 PM

melle1228 on February 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM

We’ve got people like Karl Rove to thank for that, and it is because of elitists like him that I will again be going to the MIGOP Convention [starts tomorrow]. We TEA Party Patriots are geared up to kick the puppets of the Washington insiders to the curb!

Can you imagine how bad it would be today if Romney won? I shudder at the mere thought!

DannoJyd on February 21, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Go figure.

FlaMurph on February 21, 2013 at 11:26 AM

In fact the Conservatives, the Ron Paul supporters, and some of the moderates decided to stay home AS I PREDICTED last year. When you offer up a white characture of 0bama you lose every time.

DannoJyd on February 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM

This attitude of dissatisfaction has more to do with Obama’s win than anything wrong with Romney. This perfectionism will doom future GOP candidates. The problem is not with Romney; it’s with the nit-picking conservatives who preferred to lose rather than have their own way.

The “technology gap” is an excuse to blame Romney.

“The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings.”

flataffect on February 21, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Really? All he had to do was reach out but he didn’t need us what with all those independents he was attracting. The underling is the guy who finished second in a two horse race.

SurferDoc on February 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I wonder if Mitt will lecture us on the need for Socialized Medicine now that the can speak without a filter? Maybe he will endorse ObamaCare?

portlandon on February 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I’m actually interested in the answer to this so I’m looking forward to the speech.

If what some people here and elsewhere have been saying were true, it would be the perfect time for mit to Flop again.

akaniku on February 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM

No doubt Romney will tell us that Obama is a very nice fellow and a great family man.

RJL on February 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Regardless of what is said here a review of on-line info indicates that Romney was NOT spurned by the base, he received as much of the Evangelical vote as Bush did so it seems a tad false to blame the base for his loss.

In spite of his supporters trying to sell him as a terrific candidate, so appealing to moderates/Independents it appears he wasn’t and therein lies his loss.

katiejane on February 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM

bluegill on February 21, 2013 at 2:32 AM

You aren’t fit to empty Cindy Munford’s septic tank.

katy the mean old lady on February 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM

You aren’t fit to empty Cindy Munford’s septic tank.

katy the mean old lady on February 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Or swim in it for that matter. Hmmm……… ; )

Bmore on February 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM

You aren’t fit to empty Cindy Munford’s septic tank.

katy the mean old lady on February 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Or swim in it for that matter. Hmmm……… ; )

Bmore on February 21, 2013 at 8:35 PM

…I think that’s her drinking hole!

KOOLAID2 on February 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I haven’t actually said much on this thread about the meat of the topic: Romney speaking at CPAC. Here’s the dirty little secret: You don’t have to be conservative to a speaker at the Conservative Political Action Conference. All you have to do is call yourself conservative. This is Mitt’s last-gasp chance at remaining relevant to the conservative movement, without which he is going to have a major “the emperor has no clothes” moment.

gryphon202 on February 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Funny, no article about Palin speaking.

Seems that HotGas is starting to smell…

ChuckTX on February 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM

drballard on October 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM

portlandon on February 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

@Portlondon: I remember being run off the boards with being smothered by all the “love” from the mittheads. As for the GOP/RNC calling me lately? I’ve told them to stick their heads up their colons and take me off their call lists. Funny – it seems to have increased the calls. Seems they like the apathetic attitude I give them as I tell them they’re LOSERS in a tone that is lackadaisical and again ask to to be taken off their call list. I’ve even changed my registration to Independent with the department of voters so they’ll have to spend more money in my state, in my district, if they want it.

No longer will they take me for granted. I’m so done with them and their Medicaid change although they haven’t set up “exchanges” just means a Proposition vote to add a tax to something to pay for the medicaid increase. Everyone will do it because everyone thinks that if they themselves one day become unemployed, may need medicaid so there you have it. People voting for increased taxes on themselves thinking they’ll get better access to Medicaid as the political ads will promise at voting time.

Why won’t Mitt Romney just go AWAY?? He’s a lodestone on the party at this point and the biggest LOSER the party has in voter ID next to president Bush II. People need to forever forget Romney was associated with the GOP and instead either Rubio, Cruz or Paul need to step forward and take it over.

athenadelphi on February 22, 2013 at 12:04 AM