Chuck Schumer: Hagel almost had tears in his eyes when I explained that “Jewish lobby” is offensive

posted at 7:21 pm on February 20, 2013 by Allahpundit

How can he be sure? Hagel always looks like he’s been crying.

To believe that a professional politician needed it explained to him that the term “Jewish lobby” is problematic, you’d have to believe he’s an abject imbecile. So … yeah, this is actually plausible:

“He struck me as sincere, and you know, you have to be sitting there at the meeting obviously, but I also told him when he used the word Jewish lobby what it meant to Jewish people,” he added.

“And I told him what a double standard is. That Jewish people throughout the centuries have suffered a double standard. Everyone could be a farmer except Jewish people. Everyone could live in Moscow except Jewish people. I said when everyone else can lobby but all of a sudden when those of us who are pro-Israel lobby, it’s a negative, that’s a double standard. And I’m sure you didn’t mean it, but it harkens to the old days.

“And he really, you know, he almost had tears in his eyes when he understood. So I believe he will be good.”

Of course he had tears in his eyes. He was willing to lie, transparently, about his beliefs to become Secretary of Defense; why wouldn’t he work up some mist to convince a guy with the power to torpedo his confirmation that he’s really and truly changed his ways? This story is the whole Hagel confirmation process in a nutshell, in fact. Here’s one of the most powerful Democrats in the Senate telling you he had to explain the basics of Jewish persecution to a former colleague as if he was a seven-year-old. And yet he’s going to vote for him anyway because, even though he’s patently unqualified, now that he’s mastered “Anti-Semitism for Dummies,” he’ll be “good.” Oh, and also because the people leading the opposition to Hagel are the discredited neocons who “helped push Iraq.” Among the Senators who voted for the AUMF against Iraq in 2002: Chuck Hagel and Chuck Schumer.

Incidentally, Hagel’s favorable rating is now at net -9 among independents and at -21 among Republicans. (Overall, it’s -6.) He’s down among both groups, as well as Democrats, since last month. Good thing voters don’t care about cabinet positions or else O might have a problem here. Exit question: Why won’t Hagel open his archives to media scrutiny? Is that stuff irrelevant now because it dates to back before he found out that Jews have historically been treated a tad unfairly?

Comments

Lol!

Bmore on February 20, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Chucky should have to check Hagel’s shorts when he has to withdraw his name from the SOD confirmation.

portlandon on February 20, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Whatever. Hagel was probably just stoned – I mean, you just have to look at him or listen to him speak – he’s a major choom’er.

Pork-Chop on February 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Almost ain’t the same as did. And Hagel is an abject imbecile, and nobody likes him no matter what they say.

platypus on February 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM

If Hagel agrees to open his archives, somebody watch Sandy Berger real close. He might have some documents in his pants.

portlandon on February 20, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Both Hagel and Schumer have failed Problem Solving 101 multiple times, but they are politicians so nobody expects them to understand “What you cannot do“.

SWalker on February 20, 2013 at 7:26 PM

“And I told him what a double standard is.

We’re treating him like a 10 year old now?

thebrokenrattle on February 20, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Hey look! Schumer’s in the christian bible! Rev 2:9 1/2.

S. D. on February 20, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Very funny, AllahPundit.

These are crocodile tears. He was probably crying over possibly losing the nomination. DC insider career could be over.

rbj on February 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM

This really shows how far Political Correctness has taken over this country. Chuck Hagel identified a lobby for a Jewish state as the “Jewish Lobby.” Oh the horror!!! And now the PC authorities has confronted Hagel, scolded and reprimanded him to the point of tears. It’s good to know that AP, Ed, and the rest of the Hot Air staff have endorsed the ideology of Political Correctness. I’m bookmarking all of this headlines so that I can throw it into their face they complain when Liberals scream “raaaacist!!!”

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I get why Hagel says such stupid and offensive things about Israel and Jews — he doesn’t like them.

What I don’t get is why a lefty Jew like Scummer is trying to convince Jews that Hagel is qualified to be Secretary of Defense (not even close) and that his appointment will somehow be a good thing for American Jews or for Israel (hilarious).

Israelis already despise Obama in Israel.

Jaibones on February 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Have I got some swampland for you.

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM

So we’ve moved on from “I don’t remember saying that…” to “Gosh, I’m really sorry I said that…sniff”?

Really??

BigWyo on February 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Almost…?

d1carter on February 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM

…Chucky Schumer is a jacka$$ who’s mother should spank him now…for never doing it when he was young…because she was still breast feeding him until he got to high school.

KOOLAID2 on February 20, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Of course there are groups devoted to Jewish advocacy. There is a Jewish lobby. Just like there are Catholic and Muslim, etc. lobbies. The problem is, he meant “Jewish conspiracy.”

WitchDoctor on February 20, 2013 at 7:35 PM

How smart can he be when, even if he believes such offensive things, he doesn’t have the sense to keep his mouth shut?

We’re putting the most destructive armed force in the history of the world in the hands of an idiot. And the Democrat leadership of this country is fine with that.

We’re doomed.

Socratease on February 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM

OMG, Hagel uttered some offensive comments!!! Can wait until Liberals start screaming “raaacist” again. I will be happy to remind Hot Airheads that the worst thing a person can do is to offend someone.

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM

To believe that a professional politician needed it explained to him that the term “Jewish lobby” is problematic, you’d have to believe he’s an abject imbecile. So…yeah, this is actually plausible…

AP

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

Twain

Bing.

Jaibones on February 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Schumer- six live rounds, one blank. You want to talk about the pos behind the curtain? There ya go. That would be him. It doesn’t get more evil.

wolly4321 on February 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM

OMG, Hagel uttered some offensive comments!!!

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Valley girl, rather than counter-punch criticism of Hagel with your OMG!!! nonsense, why don’t you provide a sound and rational argument for his nomination, which you apparently support?

Let me recommend a good starting place — tell us HotAirians why you believe Hagel is qualified to serve as Secretary of Defense.

Jaibones on February 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Funny, I have tears in my eyes all the time when I watch you buffoons destroying this country.

JPeterman on February 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Have I got some swampland for you.

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Me?

Jaibones on February 20, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Exit question: Why won’t Hagel open his archives to media scrutiny?

Because he’s with Obama. It’s one of the contractual perks listed after “designated parking spot”.

budfox on February 20, 2013 at 7:43 PM

It doesn’t get more evil.

wolly4321 on February 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM

In a nutshell.

Cleombrotus on February 20, 2013 at 7:44 PM

He cried? Jeez guys, we made him cry. We better do somethin’ nice for him to make up for being such meanies. Maybe we could confirm him and that would make it all better.

If you don’t vote for me I will cry? That works on the Oprah Show but in politics? Has it really come to this?

sharrukin on February 20, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Jaibones on February 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM

My #1 qualification for Sec of Def is a person who will not drag the US into wars that don’t have a thing to do with our defense (meaning staving off an attack from a foreign entity). I’m not crazy about Hagel. He’s a warmonger. However, he is far less of a warmonger than the other options. So he is lesser of all the evils.

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Ausflüchen! Churchill!

Seth Halpern on February 20, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Results for #hagel

canopfor on February 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM

What a surprise…a Paulestinian.

So Hagel is a warmonger, but the least warmongery of the thousands of potential nominees for Secretary of Defense who are actually qualified to defend the country and therefore a good choice?

Thanks for living down to my expectations.

Jaibones on February 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Ausflüchten :)

Seth Halpern on February 20, 2013 at 7:53 PM

The problem with the words “Jewish lobby” is that to certain people they are equivalent to “Jewish cabel” or “Jewish gang” — in other words, a group organized for nefarious ends.

It is not the far-less-toxic explanation that Schumer provided.

I’m sure that when Hagel used the words “Jewish lobby” he meant the equivalent to “a set of Jews gathered together in support of their rights and in opposition to yours”.

In other words, he knew what he was saying and he meant it.

unclesmrgol on February 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM

What a surprise…a Paulestinian.

Thanks for living down to my expectations.

Jaibones on February 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Same here Hot Airhead.

By the way, would someone like Rumsfeld be your ideal Sec of Def? You know, someone who drags the US into foreign wars that cost hundreds of billions (if not trillions) of dollars, resulted in thousands of soldiers killed or maimed numerous numerous civilian casualties all based on lies?

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Churchill!

Seth Halpern on February 20, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Hagel always looks like he’s been crying.

Good one AP. That is why we wait for your posts :-)

antisocial on February 20, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Exit question: Why won’t Hagel open his archives to media scrutiny?
===================================================================

Hmmmm,thats strange,just like Hopey,I would imagine Hagel has more
Anti-Israel Hate Skeltons hidden away,that he hopes never becomes
made aware,er,…………….found!!

Oh,and Transparency he is not!

canopfor on February 20, 2013 at 7:59 PM

PUHLEASE.

Resist We Much on February 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM

…Good!…Go phuckyourself numbnuts!

KOOLAID2 on February 20, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Israelis already despise Obama in Israel.

Jaibones on February 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM

There’s nothing to really debate about in that regard. Schumer is an anti-American Socialist first and foremost. He only practices his religion when it’s convenient for him.

And, sadly, the majority of American Jews really could care less about the safety of the Israelis, as was profoundly shown in the November election.

Myron Falwell on February 20, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Myron Falwell on February 20, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I think they care. However, they are not as hysterical about Israel as Christian dispensationalist tend to be. They most likely see Israel as a Jewish homeland. Christian dispensationalist tend to see Israel as a divine entity. That’s why a person cannot have a rational conversation about Israel with them.

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM

An imbecile and a cry baby? Totally qualified for SoD.

besser tot als rot on February 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Just made me laugh. ; )

Bmore on February 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I would like to know if it is AP’s, Ed’s, and the rest of the Hot Air staff’s position that having ever uttered an offensive statement about any racial or religious group is grounds for automatic disqualification for any Cabinet level, Congressional, Senatorial, or Presidential position.

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I would posit, based on your post that it is you who is incapable of a rational conversation about it.

besser tot als rot on February 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM

besser tot als rot on February 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM

You guessed wrong.

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Your apparent implication is that is the case here. Which it is, quite clearly, not. Please leave the false premises and fallacies on the cutting room floor. Thanks.

besser tot als rot on February 20, 2013 at 8:23 PM

besser tot als rot on February 20, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I think it is apparently so. However, I would like to know if this is their position. That’s why I asked the question. They don’t have to answer (and I doubt they will).

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM

You guessed wrong.

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Ah, but I didn’t guess. I posited. And your lame ad hominem and appeal to motive tend to support my postulation.

besser tot als rot on February 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM

besser tot als rot on February 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM

If you say so.

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 8:29 PM

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I disagree. First: he is not derailed yet, if at all, despite the existence of these statements. Ergo, it doesn’t automatically disqualify him. Second: the bigger obstacle to his confirmation, I would suspect, is that he is as dumb as a sack of rocks. Further: I’d suggest that just as we’d be better served by not having a crybaby as the Speaker of the House, we’d be better served not having one as the Secretary of Defense.

besser tot als rot on February 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM

besser tot als rot on February 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Those are all much better arguments for why he shouldn’t be Secretary of Defense than “he said something offensive.”

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Oh Chuck-you are as bad as McLame and grahamnesty.Hagel is offensive,Hagel is radical,Hagel is unqualified.But the three of you will do nothing to stop his nomination.

redware on February 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Can someone lasso a unicorn so Hagel has something to pet…

hillsoftx on February 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM

This reminds me when I met my wife’s Uncle Tom. He insisted that I call him Uncle Tom because everyone calls him Uncle Tom. He now cries every time I see him

drivingtheview on February 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Personally, I don’t see what the hubbub is about with him. I do think he’s stupid, but the federal government is full of stupid people. Doesn’t stop them from somehow thinking that they know how to run my life better than I do. Anywho – if Obama appoints someone else to SoD, that person is likely to also be an idiot (who similarly dislikes Israel).

besser tot als rot on February 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM

What do the low info voters think? That’s the most important question.

TarheelBen on February 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Chuckie Boy, if you are so concerned about Israel and ‘your people’, why do you follow a person who is one of the biggest anti-Semites and one of the biggest Israel haters?? You’re not even a good Jew! You and the other Jews in this country whine, cry and complain everytime someone does something bad to Israel but you all still support this Socialist Punk in the White House!! And now you want Hagel, another Israel hater to be on your team! You SUCK!!!

The Israelis are brave people! You and your kind would not even make a pimple on a Sabra’s ass!

Jersey Dan on February 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Nice job, Cindy. But Rumsfeld didn’t “drag the US” into anything. He executed the administration’s decision to go to war (badly, imo), which was supported by lots and lots of people, including your buddy Hagel.

Jaibones on February 20, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Yeah, and Obama thinks that the founders were dudes who became rich & powerful because they had slaves and nothing they believed in should be taken as gospel today…..

redguy on February 20, 2013 at 9:52 PM

besser tot als rot on February 20, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Yeah, but they probably won’t be “Republican” – as if that means anything anymore….

redguy on February 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM

As for why O’Bonehead selected this douchebag, other people have noted that it’s just more of his usual style: appoint a “Republican” to pull defensive resources away from Israel to curry favor with O’Bozo’s terrorist/Arab friends, and use the stunt for political points with the Dems’ lefty Jewish financiers.

Jaibones on February 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Obviously, Hagel is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but Schumer is just a disgusting individual.

DDay on February 20, 2013 at 10:37 PM

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Oh so it’s all right when you compromise on principle, but when we do so, we are neocons. Thanks for confirming everything I believed to be true about people like you.

nobar on February 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM

He wasn’t crying because of the jewish lobby term being offensive.

He was crying because you are his hero and he upset you. You, like the rest of the ruling elite that oversee us peasants are so supreme and perfect that he felt he failed you.

acyl72 on February 21, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Don’t know about the tears, but if the bags under his eyes get any bigger, he will need crutches.

Amazingoly on February 21, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I care what Schumer says… why? I don’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth, including ‘a’, ‘and’, and ‘the’.

GWB on February 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM

antifederalist on February 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM

That’s not the SecDef’s lane. That is a political decision. The SecDef doesn’t “drag” anyone into a war.

GWB on February 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM

GWB on February 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM

True but the Sec of Def does advise the President. He cannot drag the country into a war by himself but he would be in a position to greatly influence the President’s decision.

antifederalist on February 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I am insulted by the premise. The premise is that a politician is complaining about a people’s right to:
1. Speak
2. Freely exercise Religion
3. Petition the government for a redress of grievances.
4. Peaceably assemble.
5. Freely associate.

I can easily count 5 ways that Hagel is not only insulting the so called “Jewish Lobby”, but also is insulting the 1st amendment.

I’m also offended by his obvious anti-semitic feelings, but that seems to be OK by leftists in this country. I would however push the anti-1st amendment sentiment with the country as well. There may be more traction there.

Hagel is NOT fit for any public office.

strickler on February 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM