Bob Beckel on guns: When was the last time you heard about a rape on campus?

posted at 2:41 pm on February 20, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, I missed this last night but Twitchy didn’t. After months of “war on women” demagoguery keying off of Akin and Mourdock, I didn’t expect that the left’s big gun-control push might include a contingent of rape minimizers keen on keeping guns out of women’s hands. Then again, I didn’t expect that it would include an impassioned plea by Joe Biden for Americans to go out and buy shotguns either.

It does happen, of course, on campus and off. You may well know someone to whom it happened, assuming you aren’t a victim yourself:

It’s a terrible mistake by gun-rights groups not to emphasize self-defense for women more than they do, I think. Too often when you ask Second Amendment supporters why people need guns, they come back at you with hypotheticals ranging from remote to somewhat less remote but still pretty remote. Threat of the government instituting martial law? Remote. Threat of a home invasion? Not as remote, especially depending upon where you live, but still unlikely. Threat of you, as a man, being attacked by another man? Probably less remote still, but not a major concern. Threat of you, as a woman, being attacked by a man? Distinctly possible if these numbers are accurate. (Which is disputed.) And when a woman’s attacked, it’s likely to involve more than simply having her wallet lifted. I’d go as far as to say that women protecting themselves from sexual assault should be the first plank in any well-considered gun-rights platform. Exit quotation from S.E. Cupp: “Why is it okay for men to tell women how to defend themselves?”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Beckel is Fox’s version of the Washington Generals.

BuckeyeSam on February 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM

My daughter twenty years ago when she was a freshman. Makes a father crazy for a while after leaving the emergency truma center. Luckily, I couldn’t find him and got my head back on straight. Could have ended worse.

a capella on February 20, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I used to work with a guy who liked to say “I know a guy who will knock off anyone you want for a bottle of Jack Daniels”.

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 4:26 PM

the military academies where you should be able to trust everyone else there (and which are all gun free zones).

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Well, they’re sortof gun-free zones. They have firearms – they just aren’t operable (sort of like if they were “secured” the way some gun-grabbers would like).

GWB on February 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM

When was the last time you heard of a woman with a gun getting raped?

Wyznowski on February 20, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Cleombrotus on February 20, 2013 at 4:31 PM

When was the last time you heard of a woman with a gun getting raped?

Wyznowski on February 20, 2013 at 3:44 PM

How’d you get that nic?

Cleombrotus on February 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM

GWB on February 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Ya ok, ya got me there – they have clubs shaped like guns.
We had demilitarized M-1s when I was there. I think they have demilitarized M-16s now.

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I’d like to have something about the creep who home invaded my disabled BIL. One person we know already offered to find a guy to do it, but It’s pretty scary to think of actually doing that. Tempting though.

juliesa on February 20, 2013 at 4:35 PM

“If I don’t need a gun where I live which is in a high-rise condo in Manhattan that has 24/7 security staffing, why should you dumb rubes need one?”

-Concerned leftist champions of the little guy

Bishop on February 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM

You’re not fooling anyone with that generic “anonymous” description.

“-Concerned leftist champions of the little guy” = verbaluce.

listens2glenn on February 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Libtards, abandon this thread. There is no way this argument will come out in your favor.

itsspideyman on February 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM

itsspideyman on February 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM

You don’t hunt, do ya?

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM

itsspideyman on February 20, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Did they even show up?

CurtZHP on February 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM

a capella on February 20, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Sorry to hear that. I can’t imagine what you went through. I would much rather it happen to me than a child of mine. I didn’t tell my anyone, so my parents never knew until recently. After it happened, I asked my roommate’s 21 year old boyfriend to do a straw buy of a cheap revolver for me. (I’m glad the internet is anonymous.) He was delighted to go shopping with me. Good thing we did that, because a couple of years later my truck broke down on the highway on the way home from school, and I had to use the gun to scare off a guy who tried to “help” me.

Uggh. I have a son off in college, but if had a daughter, I think I would be tempted to make her live at home until she married. Young girls are just hung out to dry, with virtually no security. At least now they have cell phones when their cars break down.
Why did I have to improvise and break several laws to make myself secure? That’s just not right.

juliesa on February 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Beckel is Fox’s version of the Washington Generals.VERBALUCE

BuckeyeSam on February 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM

ToddPA on February 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Bob Bechal is, as usual, dumb as $hit.

Let’s take a look at his argument at face value. He is worried that a drunk college kid with a gun will accidentally hurt somebody. OK, so why is the woman who is raped less important?

The libs are always worried about “what if…what if…what if?!” OK, what if a woman is raped? Why is her life any less important than the innocent third party who is accidentally shot?

Both are equally as important. My point is, the libs claim that one life is more important than the other. They’re so worried about the “innocent bystander” but they intentionally ignore the fact that the woman who is raped is just as much as an “innocent bystander” as anybody else yet they don’t give a damn about her.

Bechal’s argument is pointless.

Kingfisher on February 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM

This man is disgusting. Liberals are depraved. They have no conscience. No dignity and no morality. I don’t care how many Christmas lights this guy puts up.. he’s depraved and it is disgusting and an insult to the families of the victims! he needs to apologize and be fired.

Florida executes serial killer of 5 students
The bodies of his five college student victims, some mutilated, posed and sexually assaulted,

Richard Speck: His Murder of Eight Student Nurses in 1966 Shocked the Nation

. Kelly, only eighteen months on the job, entered the apartment and exited some time later, vomiting in the street. Inside he had found the bodies of eight young women, all student nurses, strewn about the premises.

ABC Nightline Rape On Campus A Shocking Reality
“Most college campuses under report rape on campus”

JellyToast on February 20, 2013 at 5:20 PM

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

A librarian?
Does she have a “silencer” on that Draco?
;)

soundingboard on February 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Silvergoat on February 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM

And guess who was the lawyer in a lawsuit on the above video.. the lawyer for the family of the daughter gang raped on campus?
The great lib Gloria Allred.

JellyToast on February 20, 2013 at 5:27 PM

A coed on this campus was sexually assaulted last night around midnight, walking to her dorm. Yeah, we never hear of rape on campus…Beckel is a douchenozzle and a waste of oxogen (like most libtards)

ceegardave on February 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

The majority of hack media are reporting this story:

“Fox News Personality Makes Outrageous Rape Claim”

Odie1941 on February 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Earth to Beckel:

From just 2 days ago, at the august institution of higher learning where Dear Leader went to “law school”:

Cambridge —

A female undergraduate student reported to the Harvard University Police Department on Monday, Feb. 18, that she was a victim of an assault and battery in the courtyard of Quincy House at approximately 1:35 a.m. The victim stated that while walking through the courtyard she was grabbed by two males who attempted to pull her back towards the building. The suspects did not say anything to the victim. She fought with them and was able to flee the courtyard and entered a nearby residence for safety. The victim was not injured during the incident and officers searching the area could not locate the suspects.

F-

Del Dolemonte on February 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Yet – “legitimate rape” lead the news cycle for what, like a month?

CycloneCDB on February 20, 2013 at 5:44 PM

If your date is a rapist, you shoot them.

Sometimes she is funny…gotta give her that.

Beckel’s comment, after the comment regarding ate rape being prevalent, came very close to being a bit like Akin’s “real rape” comment.

Blaise on February 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Bechal’s argument is pointless.

Kingfisher on February 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Beckel is pointless.

Resist We Much on February 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM

If a conservative said something that stupid it would be all over NBC, CBS and Chris Matthews would be having seizures. It would all be over for Beckel.
Rapes happen very often on and off campus when you are in college. Many are never spoken about because they don’t want the victim to again be trashed by the media.

SgtRed on February 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM

A librarian?
Does she have a “silencer” on that Draco?
;)

soundingboard on February 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Trying to find one for it.
When she says SSHHHHHHH – she means it!…..

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM

If rapes don’t occur on campuses, then why the need for “safe zones” and such?

ted c on February 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Why FNC keeps supporting this fat, old drunk is beyond me.

bw222 on February 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM

So. Seriously. Let me channel Bob Dole here: where is the outrage? Seriously, if what Akin said proved he was an imbecile (which I think it did), then what about Beckel and Salazar? Can we count on the left and the press (yes, I know – part of the left) to ostracize him?

besser tot als rot on February 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM

SgtRed on February 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Ya – how much did we hear about “legitimate rape” or “lay back and enjoy it”. Funny how fast the media dropped Whoopi’s “rape rape” in defense of another Hollywood lib.

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Funny – you’d think CNN would want any opportunity to hit Fox – but nothing about this – total silence.

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Beckel mocked the idea that a girl being date raped should defend herself.

He obviously is a graduate of the Whoopie Goldberg School of Catagorizing Rape.

Between Beckel and the idiot in Colorado who wants girls to blow a whistle or pee on themselves to avoid being raped, the left has reached a new low.

LASue on February 20, 2013 at 5:59 PM

The all white hosts at CNN sure are misogynists.

tom daschle concerned on February 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Silvergoat on February 20, 2013 at 5:23 PMPerhaps someone should forward Beckel this web address for campus security. Suprisingly enough, rape does occur

Silvergoat on February 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM

This is one where Hot Air Management should contact Fox, give them this source, and demand that they have Bob Beckel read the source on air. Either that or get someone on the “Five” to confront him with it on air.

Old Country Boy on February 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Ol’ Bob ain’t afeared of any dadgum rapist. In fact, he ain’t scared of anything but Ex-Lax. A few doses and he would disappear completely.

S. D. on February 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I saw this link on FB:

(52 pages from 1988)

TRUST THE PEOPLE: THE CASE AGAINST GUN CONTROL
by David B. Kopel

From page 3:

In 1966 the police in Orlando, Florida, responded to a rape epidemic by embarking on a highly pUblicized program to train 2,500 women in firearm use. The next year rape fell by 88 percent in Orlando (the only major city to experience a decrease that year); burglary fell by 25 percent. Not one of the 2,500 women actually ended up firing her weapon; the deterrent effect of the pUblicity sufficed. Five years later Orlando’s rape rate was still 13 percent below the pre-program level, whereas the surrounding standard metropolitan area had suffered a 308 percent increase.

INC on February 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Bob Beckel on guns: When was the last time you heard about a rape on campus?

When was the last time you heard about someone paying a hooker with a personal check…..

Caper29 on February 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Disneyworld opened in fall of 1971 so there was attendant growth in the entire area.

INC on February 20, 2013 at 7:17 PM

New Orleans LA, student raped on Tulane University campus. Heard on news yesterday

skeeterbite on February 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM

“Why is it okay for men to tell women how to defend themselves?”

Hear , hear. Biden’s a pompous jerk.

CW on February 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Beckel mocked the idea that a girl being date raped should defend herself.
———–
LASue on February 20, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Imagine a GOPer making such a comment? Wow.

CW on February 20, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Beckel has to be one of the dumbest humans alive. Just google Ohio State rape or just about any large university. Sheesh. Thick.

CW on February 20, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Amanda Collins is a young rape survivor. While in college in 2007, she was raped 50 feet away from the campus police department office at the University of Nevada-Reno and was lucky to get out alive. Her attacker was James Biela, a serial rapist who raped two other women and murdered another. He attacked her at gun point in a gun free zone. At the time of the attack, Collins was in possession of a concealed weapons permit but was not in possession of her firearm due to university policies prohibiting carrying concealed weapons on campus. She was also a second degree blackbelt at the time and walked to the parking garage with a large group of people. Today, Collins did an interview with NRA News host Cam Edwards to tell her horrific story. She explained why Colorado Democratic Rep. Joe Salazar’s comments about call boxes and rape whistles being sufficient self defense for women on campus will only result in more uncessary victims.

“If I had been carrying that night, two other rapes would have been prevented and a young life would have been saved,” Collins said. “All of these are just sentiments that give a false sense of security. In my experience I know that the university that I attended, the University of Nevada-Reno, they didn’t didn’t have any call boxes the night I was attacked. They afterwards installed them but I can tell you that a call box above my head while I was straddled on the parking garage floor being brutally raped wouldn’t have helped me one bit. The safe zone? I was in a safe zone and my attacker didn’t care,” Collins said. “It’s known that I could see the police cruisers less than 50 feet away from me, from where I was being attacked but the moment I saw those cruisers, I knew at the same time that no one was coming for me….they were all off duty. The offices had closed. They weren’t in their cruisers, there was no one there. A whistle wouldn’t have gotten anybody’s attention. It was isolated, it was late at night. It’s really frustrating that I’m supposed to hand over my own protection to a man but they’re not able to guarantee our protection and the comments that this representative made about women not knowing if they’re going to be raped or accidentally shooting the wrong person was extremely offensive because he specifically targeted female students. So, is he saying that all women are unable to make sound decisions in the midst of that, that we should go against our God given gut instinct that something was wrong? I knew something was wrong the moment I was grabbed from behind.”

Red-tape and university policies led to this happening and empowered Biela while punishing Collins.

“I was legislated into being a victim,” Collins said.

The entire interview is worth your time. Please, take the time to watch it and please share it widely. Not surprisingly, CNN’s Piers Morgan denied Collins’ request to come on his show and tell her story.

Resist We Much on February 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I teach Women On Target which is an NRA program specifically emphasizing women’s self-defense and true empowerment. I also teach handgun and rifle safety, primarily to women. These are just two examples of not only making the argument, but providing the tools women need for self-defense. I am by no means alone. I was propelled into activism after using a firearm for personal protection. While active in the Second Amendment rights movement I have met countless women who not only believe in their right to self-defense, but speak about it regularly. I know many men also champion the cause of womens’ self-defense. To say that we do not make the argument strongly enough is to have in incomplete picture. Perhaps it is not that the argument is not made, but that it is not heard.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on February 20, 2013 at 8:20 PM

on his show and tell her story.

Resist We Much on February 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM

…gawd I’m pissed!…I want to kick a couple of people right now!…right in the ba11s!…multiple times!…until there is nothing there!

KOOLAID2 on February 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Bob Beckel on guns: When was the last time you heard about a rape on campus?

Caper29 on February 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM

That was Jerry Springer.

RickB on February 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Beckel is trending over on Yahoo.

RickB on February 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Campus rapes are like Chicago shootings. There are so many of them, they aren’t news.

WestTexasBirdDog on February 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I have no idea why we don’t emphasize the use of guns to defend against rape more. Since this whole push to grab guns started I have been sing the issues as well as others.

A woman being raped has a right to defend herself. A black man being lynched b a bunch of racist has the right to defend themselves. A elderly man walking his wife to the corner store has the right to defend themselves. The one great equalizer isn’t vomiting or running but a firearm in the hands of someone that knows ow to use it. This always shuts up the liberals in a quick way.

MoreLiberty on February 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM

My guns won’t be illegal. They’ll be “undocumented.”

Resist We Much on February 20, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Put a mustache on Beckel and he looks just like Gacy. Well, a little creepier

M240H on February 20, 2013 at 9:58 PM

As much as I love Greg Gutfield, I will not watch The Five because Beckel is on. I can’t stand to see his face, let alone hear his voice. They need to find a new liberal for their show, perhaps one just a little less repulsive.

blackgriffin on February 20, 2013 at 10:21 PM

My guns won’t be illegal. They’ll be “undocumented.”

Resist We Much on February 20, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I am sure they’ll give you a pass too if you are busted.

CW on February 20, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Libs have to be against women with guns. For if women can prevent rape, there will be less babies for Planned Parenthood to abort. Dems can’t allow a disruption in the supply to their abortion mills.

Greenshield on February 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I guess Bill and Hillary Clinton aren’t the only pro rape democrats.

tom daschle concerned on February 20, 2013 at 10:42 PM

there were 2 rapes on Harvard campus in August( and as posted above 2 men tried to grab woman recently.). unsolved.

there has also been around a 3 year string of rapes and attempted rapes on both sides of the charles river- stretching from the harvard campus to Boston University. all unsolved. BU is currently having a problem with violent armed muggers on campus.

alleged gang rape at curry college (suburban boston)

mittens on February 20, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Why the hell does anyone pay Beckel to go on the air and peddle his crap?

I don’t know if Fox News deliberately looks for the most clueless and annoying Liberals to represent their balance, or if they are just unlucky. The truth is that I have started tuning them out frequently because I will not listen to Beckel, Juan Williams, et al.

Oldflyer on February 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Beckel, perhaps it’s time to attend a meeting…

JohnGalt23 on February 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM

hah! I’ll bet she does.

soundingboard on February 20, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Hey Joe, can a double barrel 12ga shotgun fit in a women’s purse? On the other hand there is a derringer that fires .410 shot.

Dasher on February 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Rape on campus is a rampant problem at my school, so much so that the administration has put together a task force to try to come up with solutions. I’ve been tempted to suggest “campus carry” as one such solution. Personally, as I wrote last October, I don’t see much potential for success because of the restrictions that federal law has placed on a school’s ability to prosecute rapes in a proper way.

vegconservative on February 21, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Bob Beckel on guns: When was the last time you heard about a rape on campus?

Well… you can tell the election is over; editors turned off and saying what they really think again.
BTW… ‘So what are you, gonna shot your date?’ “Multiple times if possible” is the correct answer Bob…

RalphyBoy on February 21, 2013 at 2:52 AM

As much as I enjoy watching The Five, I usually wind up turning it off.Beckel not only makes me furious, his constant references to his drug use and sex life make him come across as the proverbial “dirty old man” or the “perverted Uncle Bob”.

redware on February 21, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Beckel survives ANOTHER foot-in-mouth event. How many times does it take for Liberal to actually get their comeuppance?

I too won’t watch “The Five” specifically because of Beckel. You know he can’t believe the things he says are true, but he says them, like the good little Liberal that he is. The man has no honor.

Personally, “If Only One Life Is Saved Because A {Woman| Student|Man||Person} Was Armed” is now my new go-to counter phrase. And then I go “Wait! That DID happen! Repeatedly!”

Beckel needs to be shown the frackin’ door. Liberals keep doing what they do because there are no real consequences for their actions.

ProfShadow on February 21, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Too many screw ups – time for him to go. Just don’t replace him with Juan Wlliams.

Amazingoly on February 21, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Congratulations Fox News! YOU wanted your channel to be more liberal. Well, YOU SUCCEEDED beyond anyone’s expectation!

To those looking for an alternative, I highly recommend Real News on Dish channel 212.

DannoJyd on February 21, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Uncle Bob is nothing but a gin-soaked fool still living in his past Peace “Corpse” life.

Let’s give him an all expense paid vacation with Bawney and see how Bob feels when he grabs his ankles or plays Drop the Soap, getting “raped” by honorable Congressman.

philoise65 on February 21, 2013 at 9:59 AM

a capella on February 20, 2013 at 4:19 PM

One of a father’s worst fears. I can’t imagine the rage I’d feel, if something like that should ever happen to my daughter.

Hill60 on February 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM

It happens. I used to work for a rape crisis center in this city. We were told that the number of rapes that happen on the campus of our local state university is kept out of the news…….in order to have it not affect the enrollment.

Beckel needs to have his nutz cut off for making such a statement.

avagreen on February 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM

BTW, I don’t watch The Five either b/c of Beckel.

avagreen on February 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Here in the DFW area, there’s been a couple of sexual assaults at SMU (both on- and off-campus), and there’s been at least a couple recently at TCU in Fort Worth.

Ward Cleaver on February 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Got sidetracked.

Wrote an email to Fox about this:
foxnewstips@foxnews.com

avagreen on February 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM

From 2005 to 2007, more than 100 murders, 16,000 assaults and 10,000 forcible sexual assaults were reported on college campuses – amounting to an average of more than nine sexual assaults a day.

2. “Summary Campus Crime and Security Statistics – Criminal Offenses”. 2005. US Department of Education

TX-96 on February 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Bob Beckel is an ignorant jackass.

TX-96 on February 21, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I quit watching Fox way back when Bill’s ego got too big. There are a few good sites on the net that I get my news two or three days ahead of the Alphabet media. It really cracks me up when I hear the phrase “Breaking news” that’s two days old.

mixplix on February 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Not a rape, per se, but hey Boob Beckel (not a typo) – does EVE CARSON count?

PJ Emeritus on February 21, 2013 at 3:50 PM

And we should all go to the Five’s facebook page and post the links to all these things – Targeted at Boob.

PJ Emeritus on February 21, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I found this video – “Gunny & Glock – Wrong Girl” – to be very persuasive:

Paul_in_NJ on February 21, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Threat of the government instituting martial law? Remote.

Allahpundit on February 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Are you so sure?

Dunedainn on February 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM

PJ Emeritus on February 21, 2013 at 3:50 PM

It wasn’t rape-rape.

/Whoopi

Dunedainn on February 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I know that guy….he has lowered his price due to the bad economy.

After his taxes went up, he says he’ll off a politician for a bottle of Wild Turkey.

dirtengineer on February 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I forgot….I dropped a turd this morning that had more active brain cells in it than Beckel had at birth.

Beckel is on the SHTF target list….just another useless media hack…won’t be missed by anyone.
III