Important PSA from Joe Biden: “Buy a shotgun. Buy a shotgun.”

posted at 7:21 pm on February 19, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via the Weekly Standard, I bet the Onion wishes it had waited an extra month to release that e-book. This would have warranted its own chapter.

Not the first time he’s touted the benefits of shotgun ownership lately either. As goofy as it is, I think this is actually kinda sorta effective at blunting the “gun-grabbing” critique liberals naturally face whenever they get itchy about “assault weapons.” Here’s the vice president of the United States encouraging you to go on out and get yourself a 12-gauge, just like the one he’s got. Why? Because it’s easier to aim and use than an AR-15, which … I’m pretty sure isn’t true, but whatever. Just buy a shotgun. Buy a shotgun. That way, if ever you snap and head off on a killing spree, the death toll will be limited. Unless you bring a bag of shells with you and reload quickly, I guess. In which case, who knows?

That’s the first clip. The second clip, also from today’s Q&A with Parents magazine, is of someone asking why we’d expect an assault-weapons ban to work any better than the ban on illegal drugs does. Biden’s reply: Do you mean we should legalize all drugs? Which, of course, is a non sequitur. Few people (at least outside hardcore libertarian precincts) support legalizing all drugs or all weapons. There’s a national push to legalize weed but not so much to legalize heroin and meth; most are content to leave those restricted on grounds that they’re too dangerous, just like most gun owners are content to leave machine guns and bazookas in the hands of the feds. The better questions are (1) why is Biden trying to expand prohibition even though the data doesn’t support the need for it? And (2) how does he decide when it’s worth limiting the rights of the law-abiding majority in order to make things marginally more difficult for criminals? If banning assault weapons is justifiable, why shouldn’t we ban booze that’s over, say, five percent ABV in order to reduce drunk-driving accidents? The White House refrain throughout this miserable process has been that it’s worth doing if it’ll save even one life. Well, I’ll bet a ban on liquor that’s higher than 10 proof would save at least one. How about it?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

There goes Joe, shooting off his mouth again..

ToddPA on February 20, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Just curious, what makes you think the person on the other side of the door will even be able to hear your pumping?

Del Dolemonte on February 19, 2013 at 9:15 PM

More to the point, why would you wait to chamber a shell until you thought someone was at the door? You should already be in a ready position, with the children in the safe zone.

My shotgun is the one that sits loaded with safety on in my gun safe. It’s plenty to expect my wife to find the safety and remember to flick it off, in the dark, terrified, when someone is in the house. To also ask her remember to finger the slide release and simultaneously apply enough force to the action to be sure she chambers that first round may be asking too much. Yes, she should practice more, and no, I can’t get her to do it.

TexasDan on February 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM

TexasDan on February 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM

It depends on which door you’re talking about. You have no reason to grab the gun until someone attempts to break in an outer door or window – unless you have dogs that will give you warning of someone outside near the house. It’s at the point of someone coming through a door or window (first noise or other indication of an actual intruder) that you would be grabbing the gun and going after the intruder.

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Right. But if the scenario is “Scary sound of racking shotgun drives intruder away” then we’re talking about the bedroom door. And while you may or may not feel comfortable keeping a shell chambered, you sure as hell ought to chamber it the moment you lay hands on your gun if you think someone is already inside, not wait until you’re pretty sure they’d hear that special sound.

This comes from every stupid movie and cop show scene where the gun holder racks the slide on their gun to show they mean business, or pulls back the hammer on their 1911. You never saw John Wayne doing stupid human tricks with his weapons in a lame effort to raise tension in a scene. The audience ought to burst out laughing at these moments–was her gun really not even chambered? Did you really not have that hammer cocked on your single action semi-auto?

TexasDan on February 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Exactly right Allah. An AR-15 has much less recoil than a 12 gauge shotgun. So for a lot of women, my wife included, the AR would actually be much easier to use, and more likely to hit what she aims at – especially if I put a laser pointer on it – then it really is point and shoot, and it’s less likely to knock her on her butt if she shoots a little off balance.

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I’ll take 2 shotguns. Oh and throw in an AR15 and one of those cute 10/22s.

pat on February 20, 2013 at 1:00 PM

As I am sure most here know, there is a huge trend towards the .410 as a household defense weapon. Pumps and semis. Lots of specialized ammo being made.

pat on February 20, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Is this a typo?

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Yes, it should have been 1986.

In 1986, concerning CCW/CHL laws, there were: 1 UNRESTRICTED, 8 SHALL issue, 26 MAY issue, and 15 NO issue states.

The homicide rate was 8.6 per 100,000 inhabitants and there were an estimated 620.1 violent crimes per 100,000 inhabitants in 1986.

In 2011, concerning CCW/CHL laws, there were: 4 UNRESTRICTED, 37 SHALL Issue, 8 MAY Issue, and 1 NO Issue states.

The homicide rate was 4.7 per 100,000 inhabitants and there were an estimated 386.3 violent crimes per 100,000 inhabitants in 2011.

Who would rather live in 1986 when most people couldn’t carry firearms?

Thanks for catching that for me!

Resist We Much on February 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM

TexasDan on February 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Ya – agree fully – I cut my comment a little short, but I was thinking about the front door versus bedroom door. They have to be attempting to get in an outer door or window for you to grab the gun – which you should then get (or be) ready to shoot as soon as you pick it up. Then I’m heading out of the bedroom to meet and shoot the intruder as quick as possible – with my dogs probably running out ahead of me to find the bad guy. If you’re waiting for the intruder to get to your bedroom door, you’re to late.

In my case, it depends on where the intruder comes into the house (3 levels, 1 being walkout basement) – and my dogs will give me first warning. They let me know when they hear coyotes out back or people even approaching the front door. But my family was spread out – one kid in a basement bedroom, 1 in an upstairs room, and us upstairs with the front door directly below but in view of our bedroom door. So especially with teenagers, you can’t be too quick to shoot – teenagers tend to sneak out and back in during the night – and I would hope mst people don’t want to shoot their own kids.

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Wry: will consider your advice, thanks.

Rogers: assuming that in a rowhouse, any local intruder will know where the mater bedroom is, am planning to learn how to use it, and understand that you don’t pull a gun on someone unless you’re prepared to use it.

Del/Texas: in a relatively small, completely silent house, with someone actually listing for another person, I think the sound would travel well. And I think most burglars would prefer to back off rather than engage in a shoot out. Obviously, if they’re outside, it’s different.

urban elitist on February 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM

pat on February 20, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I had a .410 when I was in HS. Nice little guns, not as much kick as a 12 gauge. But Ammo is actually more expensive than 12 gauge.
However, interesting design of guns like the Taurus Judge handgun that can use either .410 gauge shotgun shells or .45 cal.

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM

where the mater bedroom is,
urban elitist on February 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Would that be where your redneck tow truck sleeps?… ;)

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Sure…you ‘guess’.
But good enough that you get this now.

verbaluce on February 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Thank goodness you’re okay. We were all worried about you after you fled the other thread after your “infinitely more dangerous with a gun around” post.

Can’t you cite numbers defend your religious beliefs, verbaluce?

rogerb on February 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Anyone noticing a trend among Dems toward trending members of the “weaker sex” differently? It’s more evident in this story from yesterday, but Biden betrays a similar sentiment here.

Howard Portnoy on February 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM

“50% of homicides are guns. Low hanging fruit. 70% of suicides as well.”

So, you think that banning guns will lower the suicide rate, eh?

OK, then explain this:

Japan has some of the most draconian gun control laws on the planet. In 1958, the country passed the following law:

“No person shall possess a firearm or firearms or a sword or swords.”

Japanese suicide rate: 21.9 per 100,000 persons (2009).

In 2009, there were 32,845 suicides in Japan, which had a population of 127,078,679.

US suicide rate: 12.0 per 100,000 persons (2009)

In 2009, there were 36,909 suicides in the US, which had a population of 306,770,000.

So, what are the preferred methods of suicide in Japan?

Jumping in front of trains, leaping off high places, hanging, self-cutting, and overdosing on medication.

I guess Japan needs to ban trains, high places, rope/belts/sheets/etc, knives, and medication.

Resist We Much on February 20, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Howard Portnoy on February 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM

It’s obvious.

And, what is worse, some of hose Liberal women are buying into it.
Read this.

kingsjester on February 20, 2013 at 1:49 PM

urban elitist on February 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM

BTW, I apologize if I came across a bit more abrasively than I intended with the “guitar” comment. I genuinely commend you on considering taking active responsibility for the well-being and protection of your family.

I’d add that racking a shotgun (or anything else) is a time waster. Balance carefully whether a neat sound is more valuable than getting a round off RIGHT NOW after your door is kicked in without warning.

rogerb on February 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM

How did that loony get out of the bin?

MCGIRV on February 20, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Just not women. They don’t know who they’re shooting at, anyway.

If women just pop shots off at any guy who acts rape-y, how exactly does a wide spray of projectiles help?

Axeman on February 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Just not women. They don’t know who they’re shooting at, anyway.

Axeman on February 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Well ya – shouldn’t SlowJoe be telling his wife to vomit or pee on the attacker? I heard that’s what good Democrats do for self-defense.

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM

…vomit or pee on the attacker? I heard that’s what good Democrats do for self-defense.

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM

It’s what they tend to do here.

rogerb on February 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM

rogerb on February 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Worried…really?
Gotta say, kind of nice that you’re actually trying to engae me here.
Not your usual m.o.

verbaluce on February 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM

urban elitist on February 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Yes, and it would be to everyone’s advantage to scare off an intruder. With 6 kids in my house, I have only one good place to shoot from, and that is straight down the main hallway on the downstairs level. So I can’t wait upstairs in my bedroom making noises with my gun.

For all the tacticool nonsense you will run into if you begin to seriously research the purchase of a home defense shotgun, these are real issues to think through. Firing a shotgun in confined quarters is not a joke, and shotgun pellets will laugh at gypsum wallboard, no matter what you read. But I really do encourage you to think about whether you want to be “racking” your shotgun at all. The action on my 870 is locked when the chamber is empty, and there is a lever by the trigger that you must depress to release the slide and rack it to chamber a round. I assume most pump guns are similar. If you use your shotgun once in forever, this is not necessarily a natural motion, and it’s an easy step to forget. (As is chambering the second round.) It doesn’t take a whole lot of practice to get some muscle memory, but not everyone can or does practice.

IMHO it’s better to have a weapon ready to fire (mine is locked in a safe) should you need it, and use your voice to inform your unwelcome visitor exactly what size hole he’s about to acquire, than to plan on using the racking sound to scare someone off.

TexasDan on February 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

TexasDan on February 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Racking the gun scares normal humans. I found it made the crazy/high guy even more interested in getting closer. The voice didn’t work either. I like racking better than voice, because my voice is a confidence builder for the enemy

Yep. I lived in one really bad place, where I kept the shotgun in bed under the blanket pointed towards my feet, loaded and on safety. Figured I could sacrifice the toes, if needed

Buy a shotgun. That way, if ever you snap and head off on a killing spree, the death toll will be limited.-ap

Limited but at close range a mighty big hole. Maybe more unrecoverable than an AR-15 at close range, unless you are using them bullets adored by Homeland ‘Security’.

On Biden, I sure do not need that cosseted blo hard telling me what works. His head doesn’t even work. One day, if he is run out of town on a rail, I might have to save his sorry axe, and I wouldn’t take his advice on how to do that either, as much as I despise him

entagor on February 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Hey Resist We Much:

This one’s for you. The perfect example of the intellectual dishonesty of the media and academia. They couldn’t even bring themselves to SPECULATE on the real cause. (And they still won’t even with the obamaconomy in the tank and a continuing drop in violent crime.)

Oh and VERB, those are REAL lives being saved, even if you can’t count the bodies.

WryTrvllr on February 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Double barreled shotgun? This ahole has had protection for the last 40 years, the last 6 from the SS. Um…I lived in DC and this guy has protection tighter than a virgin’s vault. If his wife went onto the back veranda and fired off a double barrel, they’d probably fire on her faster than you could say “boo biden.”

rduke305 on February 20, 2013 at 3:39 PM

…your “infinitely more dangerous with a gun around” post.

Can’t you cite numbers defend your religious beliefs, verbaluce?

rogerb on February 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Worried…really?
Gotta say…

verbaluce on February 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM

1) And we’ll mark that down as a “no”.

2) You do realize we’re making fun of you running away, right?

rogerb on February 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM

OMG this one’s even funnier. (I would never have thought it possible.)

First, it’s more timely, and just as dishonest.

WryTrvllr on February 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM

This one’s for you Verb.

WryTrvllr on February 20, 2013 at 4:13 PM

verbaluce on February 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM

2) You do realize we’re making fun of you running away, right?

rogerb on February 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM

There’s still time to cite your “infinitely more dangerous with a gun around” sources, btw.

Or still time to run away (again), I suppose.

rogerb on February 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM

OMG this one’s even funnier. (I would never have thought it possible.)

First, it’s more timely, and just as dishonest.

WryTrvllr on February 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Hows about we lay that crime graph on top of a graph showing law-abiding citizen gun purchases or gun ownership?

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 4:18 PM

OMG this one’s even funnier. (I would never have thought it possible.)
First, it’s more timely, and just as dishonest.

WryTrvllr on February 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I liked how they claim the number 1 reason for the drop in crime after Obama was elected was “the Obama effect” – that just his awesomeness apparently caused crime to drop.
They don’t/won’t even consider that as soon as Obama got elected, gun sales skyrocketed – and have been sky high ever since.

dentarthurdent on February 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM

2) You do realize we’re making fun of you running away, right?
rogerb on February 20, 2013 at 4:02 PM

And after all this time, you still haven’t figured out my level of concern?
Well maybe this helps.

verbaluce on February 20, 2013 at 8:10 PM

entagor on February 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM

But limited ‘big holes’.
Seems AP has inspired some logical thinking.
Nice to see.

verbaluce on February 20, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I’m thinking the sound of me pumping a shell into the chamber would discourage let whoever might be prowling around the house know where I am, and where to come back later for a free gun.

urban elitist on February 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Not alone? Have your companion spotlight them in the eyes or bear-spray them if they come in, and tell them leave or die.

Did you really not have that hammer cocked on your single action semi-auto?

TexasDan on February 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Thus practically insuring an accident on the older models?

S. D. on February 20, 2013 at 8:30 PM

You’ve certainly helped, although not like you’d like.

You’ve foolishly shown (again) to any fence-sitting lurkers who might be visiting the site for pros/cons on the subject that you can’t back up your claim about gun “reality”, and instead are (again) trying to redirect the conversation to personal nonsense.

Gotta say, kind of nice that you’re actually trying to engae me here.

Not your usual m.o.

verbaluce on February 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Good for you for sticking with your usual m.o. instead of addressing the topic you introduced, btw. I guess when it’s all you’ve got…

Speaking of, have you figured out why you’re not worth the time to engage?

Hint: Check the posts where I ask if you’re just going to run away instead of citing your sources.

rogerb on February 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM

By all means, buy a shotgun.

For sporting purposes, buy a double barrel for all those times you want to go clay pidgeon shooting or duck hunting.

For Home defense purposes, buy a pump or semi-auto, or even one of them KSG shotguns.

For training purposes to introduce youth to firearms, buy a 20 gauge or .410.

For recreational purposes, buy any damn shotgun you want.

For 3 gun competitions, buy the right shotgun to go along with your rifle and pistol!

Complete your collection today! Buy a shotgun!

Chaz706 on February 20, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Joe Biden’s plan to thwart a home invasion.

1) Get a double barrel shotgun, load both barrels.
2) Fire both barrels as warning shots.

… No really, that’s his proposal.

3) Wonder what the hell you were thinking as your assailant now easily disarms or kills you; given that you’re now unarmed.

4) Hope the police find your killer.

This is stupid EVEN FOR Biden.

gekkobear on February 21, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Um, in response to a couple of comments, there’s nothing unlawful about cutting down the barrel on a shotgun so long as it doesn’t end up being shorter than 18″. Wouldn’t do it myself, would go to a gunsmith to have it done or, better yet, just buy an 18″ barrel and keep the original intact.

Lammo on February 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM

What? Oh, that shotgun? Well, dear, I had to buy that one. The Vice President said so. :-)

PS – if you know how many guns you have you don’t have enough guns.

Lammo on February 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM