Chris Christie: I agree with Andrew Cuomo on probably 98% of the issues

posted at 5:21 pm on February 19, 2013 by Allahpundit

Allegedly.

[Bulman] said when he told Mr. Christie he is from upstate New York, “he said, ‘I’m not much different from Andrew Cuomo. I probably agree with him on 98% of the issues.’ ” Mr. Bulman said Gov. Christie “sees value in the building trades, which are private sector unions. He complimented us and said he uses us as an example of a pro-business union.”

(SNIP)

Mr. Bulman, asked if he thinks Gov. Christie will run for president, said, “I don’t know, but he talked about Israel, and he wanted to make sure we knew he had been traveling abroad.”

C’mon, it’s not true that Christie agrees with Cuomo on most things. Christie’s a famous budget-cutter and union-tamer; Cuomo’s a, er, budget-cutter and union-tamer. Cuomo’s outspoken about gun control; Christie’s, um, outspoken about gun control. Cuomo believes in a path to citizenship for illegals; Christie believes in … a path to citizenship for illegals. Cuomo believes that human activity is contributing to climate change; Christie … also believes that human activity is contributing to climate change. Cuomo’s a big fan of Barack Obama; ahem.

Cuomo’s very, very pro-choice while Christie’s pro-life, so there you go. There’s the two percent. Via the Corner, here’s the man himself addressing what he did or didn’t say about their similarities. Exit question: What if Hillary doesn’t run and we end up with a Cuomo vs. Christie race in 2016? Second look at a Rand Paul independent bid?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Could have had Cain.

Bmore on February 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Could have had Cain.

Bmore on February 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM

He would’ve at least put up a fight against someone other than Gingrich.

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Nothing about Romney’s past would have told us about how he would have governed, simp. But I think it’s entirely fair to say that his entire political career in Mass-uh-chew-sits was spent distancing himself from conservatism. And then he’s “severely conservative” when he needs conservative votes. And this doesn’t bother you at all, huh? Holy Moses, Obama must really have you shitting your drawers.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Yes, Obama has me shitting my drawers. He is one of the most divisive presidents in history. His obvious motto is “divide et impera”. He governs by creating hate and resentment. I’m absolutely sure that he wouldn’t mind riots if they would further his agenda.

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM

If beating Obama then was so imperative, why is it that the GOP nominated an unelectable milksop to take him on?

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM

No, let’s have 3 years of good conservative spokesmen (and women), like Ted Cruz. Or Rand Paul. I don’t mention Palin because I think she won’t run for office again.

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I don’t know if she will or not. As for Cruz, we’ll see. Paul is just too much into obvious grandstanding for my tastes.

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM

If she runs for office, she has my support (which isn’t worth much, but still).

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Romney was the only one who had zero — ZERO — chance of beating Obama.

Sorry, but that’s delusional.

Romney had the same problem as Christine O’Donnell. I never understood why she had to be attacked by other Republicans AFTER she was elected.

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM

We didn’t make the rules.

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM

There is no rule that says you have to attack your own candidate after he or she was nominated. Whoever does that makes a mistake.

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM

There is if I say I’m a conservative. I’m not obligated to pretend that some squish is a conservative.

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Name two or three good reasons that make Christie so “detestable”…

JetBoy on February 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I count five just in AP’s commentary that any self-respecting conservative, which obviously you aren’t, would loathe.

JannyMae on February 19, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Romney made the perfect foil for the “Noble Obama coming to rescue the little guy from the evil corporate bad guy” image that Team Obama wanted to run against.

And the cherry was he helped birth Obamacare…

It was very clear who Obama wanted to run against – Well aside from Obama’s former ambassador Jon Huntsman Jr. (so forgettable I needed to look him up just now…) who would have rolled over for Obama probably too early for the media’s liking.

Sharr on February 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Oh, come off it. Nobody remembers anything Rubio actually SAID, either. The guy;s already lost the base. He’s a non-starter except among GOPe wonks and libs wanting to find an easy mark.

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Rubio is laughing to the bank with all the PAC money he received as well as the new Twitter followers.

Illinidiva on February 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Sharr on February 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM

However, Huntsman did have a fairly conservative record as a governor. Romney didn’t even have that.

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM

What spin would that be?

sharrukin on February 19, 2013 at 10:28 PM

The spin was that you only quoted half of my reply to you. Therefore gryphon thought that I questioned his entire link about the “progressive” Romney. I didn’t.

That little trick wasn’t necessary.

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Illinidiva on February 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM

4,000 water bottles. Whoopee.

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 10:53 PM

And the cherry was he helped birth Obamacare…

Sharr on February 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Umm.. Let’s review the field. Obama would have loved to run against..
- Bachmann and her imaginary friends with disabled daughters
- Perry who couldn’t articulate his own proposals
- Cain who had bimbo issues and wasn’t a credible CINC
- Gingrich with his myriad of ethical and moral problems
- Santorum and his screechy morality

The only person who might have been scary to Obama was Daniels and even he had personal issues that ended up making him say no.

Illinidiva on February 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM

That little trick wasn’t necessary.

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM

It wasn’t a trick you lying POS. I don’t have anything to do with what gryphon202 thinks about your reply to me.

sharrukin on February 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Because that’s how the American election system works. Sometimes you must endure that people don’t vote the way you would like them to. It can be painful, but it’s still better than totalitarian systems.

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 10:59 PM

4,000 water bottles. Whoopee.

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Incredibly good press helps people out. Flipping something awful into something amazing is even better. However, you wouldn’t know about that because Palin is incapable of doing that.

Illinidiva on February 19, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Umm.. Let’s review the field. Obama would have loved to run against..
- Bachmann and her imaginary friends with disabled daughters
- Perry who couldn’t articulate his own proposals
- Cain who had bimbo issues and wasn’t a credible CINC
- Gingrich with his myriad of ethical and moral problems
- Santorum and his screechy morality

Illinidiva on February 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM

NONE of them had RomneyCare baggage. Romney was THE opponent the Dems wanted. And they got him. Just as Marco the Magnificent is going to have amnesty baggage by the time Team O gets through with him.

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Incredibly good press helps people out.

Illinidiva on February 19, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Not with the base it isn’t. There’s a lot of nasty anti-Marco sentiment out there.

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Flipping something awful into something amazing is even better.

Illinidiva on February 19, 2013 at 11:00 PM

4,000 friggin’ water bottles is “amazing”? Did his book sell that many copies?

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM

sharrukin on February 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I’m not lying. You quoted half of my reply without any comment or explanation. It was misleading. Not that it matters that much, but it confused the debate.

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I quoted the relevant part that I was replying to as I had already dealt with the time factor.

sharrukin on February 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM

sharrukin on February 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM

But there was no reply from you. Just my quote. At least that’s how it looks.

But as I said, it’s not important. Gryphon will survive the incident and I will recover, too.

Let’s go on flinging poo at poor old Willard.

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 11:20 PM

He would be unelectable for today’s conservative base.

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 9:05 PM

You keep ****ing that chicken there, friend.

Dunedainn on February 20, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Name two or three good reasons that make Christie so “detestable”…

JetBoy on February 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Err, I’m pretty sure my post, in describing his general character traits (all true, btw), did exactly that.

And that’s only if huggy photo-ops with Obama and telling the world how great he’s doing right before an election isn’t enough for you. Oh, and let’s not forget him having a cow over Boehner wanting some semblance of fiscal responsibility in the Sandy Relief bill.

So, to sum up – I’d sooner pull out my own teeth with a pair of rusty pliers than vote for Christie.

DRayRaven on February 20, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Gelsomina on February 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM

So can I take the leap that you are admitting to cowardice, Gelly Belly? :P

I don’t act out of fear. When one acts out of fear, one reacts and is thusly easily manipulated. I act out of necessity. Karl Rove counts on people to vote out of fear. I don’t play that game. Ever.

gryphon202 on February 20, 2013 at 7:39 AM

We’ll just vote for Cuomo. He’d at least be cheaper to feed.

bluesdoc70 on February 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

We’ll just vote for Cuomo. He’d at least be cheaper to feed.
bluesdoc70 on February 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Hehehe

bluegill on February 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Remember when Cuomo spoke at the Reagan Library?

tom daschle concerned on February 20, 2013 at 8:36 AM

DRayRaven on February 20, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Pretty graphic but I agree, but would add that I’d rather have a root canal done by a dyslexic alcoholic with a screwdriver than vote for him, though if his kind get elected, I suspect that such will become the protocol for government funded dentistry…or you can just elect to abort the tooth after full approval from the 15 person tooth panel.

Don L on February 20, 2013 at 9:59 AM

All the attacks on Christie in this whole thread are either misplaced derangement or so infantile that pacifiers should go out to everyone. It’s unreal.

Seems the main reasons to hate on the Jersey gov are these:

1) He “hugged” Obama when he came to survey the devastation from Sandy and thus putting Obama over the top to win a second term…and did it for his own personal power quest (Oh, brother)

2) He’s fat.

3) A general mix of being pro-Sharia or anti-2nd Amendment or pro-illegal immigrant. None of which make any sense.

Christie tore into Obama at the GOP convention…but hey, how dare he follow tradition and protocol and actually thank Obama for offering the post-Sandy relief. By the sound of most here you’d think Christie french-kissed the prez, pulled down his pants, and went to town.

Jeebus…try to grab hold of some scrap of reality.

JetBoy on February 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Aren’t you the official Personality Cult Monitor? Anyway, read the original post.

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM

That’s gonna leave a mark.

portlandon on February 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Touche.

JetBoy on February 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM

JetBoy on February 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM

It is not protocol to thank someone for making a false offer of assistance. It is protocol to get the assistance and then give the thanks. You certainly do not seem to be up on your manners course. This has become extremely a MUST do protocol with Obama as president, because he has been blatantly against any state led by a Republican for his entire presidency. A hail stone drops in a Democrat state and it is immediately granted disaster zone status, 500,000 acres of fires spread over 200 separate sites in a Republican state and nothing.

astonerii on February 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Christie’s also a Democrat parading as a Republican. He continually takes shots, so to speak, at other Republicans more than any Democrat. His views align better with Mr. Obama then Republican principles. So he’s also got that going for him.

One other thing Cuomo and Christie have in common. Both have “national” aspirations, which are really self-absorbed fantasies often whispered in their ears by acolytes.

There is no way Mr. Bugged Eyed, unstable psycho “you don’t need 30 bullets to kill a deer”/”you Catholics are gunna provide abortions and like it” and Mr.-Obama-smoochy-pants/AKA the Kohrs Godzilla will ever appeal to a national electorate. Ever.

Marcus Traianus on February 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM

astonerii on February 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I agree that Obama is full of crud…but when he went to Jersey and offered expedited govt help, that absolutely warrants a “Thank you!”. If your home was destroyed by something, and the mayor of your town or city drove over, and made an offer to help you out, you wouldn’t say “thank you” until every corner of your home was finished?

Somehow I doubt that.

JetBoy on February 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Marcus Traianus on February 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM

*facepalm*

JetBoy on February 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM

A Cuomo-Christie ticket is more likely.

steebo77 on February 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Umm.. Yes. How is this difficult to understand? Presidential photo ops have absolutely no bearing in a natural disaster. The only reason why Obama was anywhere near Jersey is because it helped with Obama’s reelection. I’ve actually seen interview clips recently from Ryan that mention that they were up against Obama pre-Sandy (and the public tracking data bears that as well) and that they tanked after Sandy. Part of the reason why Obama got a chance to look bipartisan with Christie.

As for Christie, he was looking out for himself, which is what he is all about. That hug certainly helped him in the polls with his reelection. However, Rubio and friends are salivating about using that against him. What works in New Jersey doesn’t work in a closed GOP primary in South Carolina. They did some devastating stuff against Crist in 2010.

Wow.. Christie’s speech didn’t tear into Obama at the convention. It was all about Chris Christie. He definitely didn’t use that slot to his advantage.

As for the Sandy relief pictures, they were pretty close to French kissing Obama.

Illinidiva on February 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I don’t see why, if you won’t support a nominated conservative (but not the “conservative” of your choice), why should anybody support the conservative of your choice. We are currently seeing the fulfillment of Ben Franklin’s sage observation that if we don’t hang together, we will (are now) surely hang separately? You conservative pharisees make me ill.

Old Country Boy on February 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Old Country Boy on February 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM

You don’t have to, and you wouldn’t. Vide O’Donnell, Angle, et al.

ddrintn on February 20, 2013 at 1:14 PM

A Cuomo-Christie ticket is more likely.

steebo77 on February 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM

You are joking but I could believe it except that they are 2 white men so… probably not. But I’ll bet you $10,000(virtual currency) that Christy is a Democrat or a Bloomberg Indie by 2016. If Hillary runs and CC loses 100pds he might even be her VP candidate. If Hillary doesn’t run then CC might go for President.

You might call my prediction krazy talk but it’s less crazy then thinking fat boy has a chance to be the R nominee. CC would get beat worse then Guliani(sp?) in Iowa (and the midwest and south) and it will be downhill from there. He’d win NJ and NY but unlike Guliani, he’d have no shot at FL. He won’t run on the R ticket anyway. CC is not crazy. He’s positioning himself for a switch. Only a few crazy nuts ,with short memories, in NY and NJ think he can win the R nomination.

BoxHead1 on February 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Telling that we still have idiots going on and on about how much they hated Romney. It’s more telling that many of these same people now think Rubio is too much of a squish now too.

Quick reminder, everybody else that ran in the primary was pathetic. You can’t blame Romney for that, he was simply the only one up there who was at all articulate and wasn’t dogged by a huge laundry list of moral or ethical problems.

Might also note, on the subject of the actual topic. I was willing to give Christie some benefit of the doubt a year ago, but starting with his speech at the RNC I began to think that he might ultimately be a purely self serving individual. His eagerness to back stab the entire conservative field the moment it became lucrative for him to do so, essentially confirmed this suspicion. As such, I wouldn’t vote for him under any condition, he simply lacks the per-requisit ethics to earn my vote.

WolvenOne on February 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Christie has already shot himself in the foot more than once with conservatives. He’s done as a Republican nominee. I agree with some that he will switch parties.

cajunpatriot on February 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM

ddrintn – You got your wish and Obama won. Why are you still such a miserable prick?

Buttercup on February 20, 2013 at 2:04 PM

ddrintn – You got your wish and Obama won so why are you still such a miserable pr1ck?

Buttercup on February 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM

So nice I named him twice.

Buttercup on February 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Seems the main reasons to hate on the Jersey gov are these:

2) He’s fat.

Jeebus…try to grab hold of some scrap of reality.

JetBoy on February 20, 2013 at

========================

Well he is one fat friggin’ bastard.

JackM on February 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM

cajunpatriot on February 20, 2013

================================

This is crazy talk. Fatso can’t even see his feet.

JackM on February 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Have you ever seen the Simpson’s episode where Homer gains a ton of extra weight just so he could qualify as a physically disabled person? And in the end when he tries to dial 911 during a crisis, his fingers are too fat to dial the phone?

Does anyone see Fatboy in the Oval Office one fateful day, when enemy missiles are raining down upon the country, and President Wide-ride’s fingers are too fat to key in the launch codes?

Just asking.

JackM on February 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Buttercup on February 20, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Telling you you’re going to get your hand burned if you stick it in the fire and then watching you burn your hand doesn’t mean that one is happy seeing you be such an idiot, idiot.

ddrintn on February 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM

ddrintn – You got your wish and Obama won. Why are you still such a miserable pr1ck?

Buttercup on February 20, 2013 at 2:04 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM

What in Gods holy name are you blabbering about? I don’t need you to tell me anything.
All you cared about was Mitt losing at any cost. He lost and you’re still a prick and Gary Johnstone is still a putz. Some things never change. Now you can hate on Rubio for the next 4 years. Tard.

Buttercup on February 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I agree that both of them are 98% equal.

elfman on February 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Not a dime’s worth of difference.

David Blue on February 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM

The fat man has sung.

CW on February 20, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Liberal puppet? I’m a liberal puppet?

And wtf are you talking about…Bush tax cuts? What does that have to do with Christie?

JetBoy on February 19, 2013 at 6:28 PM

If you are the JetBOY I think you are, YES!

Remember how the Bush tax cuts were ONLY for the wealthy? Well, with the Democrats REFUSING to re-enact those your taxes went up and you would know that if you are working today.

As for Christie, he remains the RINO I always knew he was, and the fact that the GOP Elitists chose him to speak at the National Convention goes to show how far left the elitists are today.

DannoJyd on February 21, 2013 at 9:14 AM