Video: Meet the fastest-growing demographic among gun owners

posted at 10:31 am on February 18, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

This weekend, NBC News took an extended look at the fastest-growing demographic in gun ownership: women.  Between 2005 and 2013, the percentage of women in America owning a firearm jumped from 13% to 23%, and women continue to demand more personal protection.  In a relatively balanced report, NBC highlights a recent case in which a woman shot an intruder to protect herself and her six-year-old son:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

I say relatively balanced, as the anchor starts off by noting gun violence in Chicago to start off this clip.  Not mentioned, of course, is the fact that Chicago has some of the toughest gun control laws in the country — so tough that the Supreme Court tossed some of them out recently.  In Chicago, the woman who defended herself would have been disarmed at the time of the home invasion, and it’s almost certain that the perps wouldn’t have been.

Of course, it would help if NBC News understood math.  Here’s a second clip from the weekend looking at how women are breaking the stereotypes of gun ownership, but note the strange claim at the beginning about where “the majority” of gun owners live — and the graphic just behind him:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

In fact, the South has the plurality of households with gun ownership — far below a “majority,” at 38%.  The Midwest is only nine points behind at 29% of households, and the West just two points behind that at 27%.  Gun ownership is hardly a Southern phenomenon, and might have more to do with other factors, perhaps former military service.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Suck it up, libs.

petefrt on February 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

wow….a purple upper and lower receiver on that AR….

u go girl.

ted c on February 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Interesting shift with women looking to themselves for protection rather than to the government. This is about more than guns.

Rumpole of the Bailey on February 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM

ss396 on February 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Rumpole of the Bailey on February 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I agree. Increases in gun ownership is symptomatic of something larger. I’d say partially it has to do with female independence, lack of a man to provide protection (i’m lookin at you Julia), as well as a woman’s innate need for security/protection.

ted c on February 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Once gun manufacturers discover that assault rifles can be painted pink, purple, and salmon, the demand will hit the stratosphere. Oh wait, it already did… Pluto orbit, here we come!

Archivarix on February 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Good for them .

Why do the Democrats want to disarm women?

Why are Democrats launching a war on women?

EnglishRogue on February 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I went to the range yesterday to practice. There were many couples there doing the same. One group was a father and mother teaching their two daughters to shoot. They were shooting a Taurus Judge. Dad was hitting center mass using .45 Long Colt the women were all hitting 12 inches lower using .410 Buckshot.

meci on February 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM

wow….a purple upper and lower receiver on that AR….

u go girl.

ted c on February 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM

If you like that, you’ll love this…

ITguy on February 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I mean, why would women feel any need to protect themselves at this stage in their lives??? They’ve already survived their Democratic-supplied abortion a few years ago and many will succumb to calls to abort their own babies. What’s to fear ladies???/

ted c on February 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Women defending themselves? What a novel thought. Wonder what the percentage is for women that believe first responders are more reliable than producing a “thug-stopper” in the middle of an assault.

Rovin on February 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Count me among the “newest demographic.” Got my CPL and first pistol recently. I go to the range every week to practice and it’s full of women and couples all happily shooting at targets.

totherightofthem on February 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

meci on February 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Let me guess, they were using torso silhouette targets????/

ted c on February 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

In Liberty Hill, Texas there is a woman-owned gun store that markets to women–bra holsters, holster purses, nice-looking shooting bags (as in nice leather, not pink with lace), woman-taught CHL classes, and only 4 guns I saw in the store were pink.

When I was there this weekend, I was impressed. They seemed to have reasonable prices for CHL classes too.

There was a small .38 revolver with a pearl pink handle I want. My husband does not understand my desire for a pink gun. But he was the one who found this store. A gun-loving female friend and I plan to hit the place when we have more money.

Sekhmet on February 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Slightly OT – but just remember because of the good graces of McCain frittering away our freedom and stabbing gun owners in the back:

McCain expects broad support for universal background checks

The Feral government will soon have control over your personal property.

Soon they they will also be able to get with sort of thing:

Now they want to tax jewellery: New Lib Dem wealth plan to target ALL assets – including buy-to-let homes
Families will be forced to pay tax on heirlooms under Lib Dem scheme
Tax inspectors would have powers to enter homes and value items
Householders would be forced to pay a new ‘wealth’ levy on the assets – with the threat of fines for those who refused to let snoops value their possessions.

Won’t that be something to look Forward to!
Thanks a pantload to you moderates who just wanted to go along to get along and had no problem with that level of control over your life by the Oppressives.

Galt2009 on February 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Too late, it’s here!

jjnco73 on February 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I like most Magpul gear but their angled foregrip sucks; nice rifle she has though.

Bishop on February 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM

The most effective way to turn a swing voter into a conservative.

southsideironworks on February 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM

ss396 on February 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM

But they’re so much hipper than you are.

CurtZHP on February 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM

As much as I would love to own a pink gun, a lot of women, such as police officers, are just looking for something friendly for smaller hands that fires something big enough for self-defense. My husband’s advice for n00b female shooters is to start small and work your way up, caliber-wise. You don’t want to be more scared of the gun than of the thug you are trying to scare off with said gun.

Sekhmet on February 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM

She shot five 38 bullets into the perp and he was still on his feet. Her gun was out but she bluffed that she’d shoot him again, so he left. If there had been any others with the guy she’d be dead because she had a revolver with low capacity. She should really go get herself a 9mm semi-auto with a 16 or 17 shot capacity and invest in some extra mags to have loaded, too. Of course, if the left has their way she won’t be able to do that, either.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I mentioned on my FB feed that I was going to go shooting on a Tuesday (Ladies Day, no range fee) at my range. A very liberal woman friend asked if she could come too. And her sister. Now it’s going to be about five of us at the range on Ladies day, instead of the two that I had planned.

Meryl Yourish on February 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

That’s Janet Napolitano’s line.

VorDaj on February 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Meet ‘em, heck, I live with two of them. And they are goin’ through my ammo.

cozmo on February 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Sekhmet on February 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I kind of agree about the caliber thing, except that ergonomics have come a long way even for semi-automatic handguns. A low bore axis is much more common, reducing the distance between the barrel and the grip, allowing for less felt torque on the shooter’s hand and wrist. It’s good all around. Competition shooters like getting on sight faster due to reduced torque, and smaller-handed shooters like not feeling like the gun is going to fly out of their hands.

By comparison, ammunition in self defense rounds don’t reach a high, stable point of lethality (IMO) before .38 or 9mm. I’m just going off of expansion and muzzle velocity.

Also, teaching people to aim for the crotch is silly. The tendency is to shoot low in stress situations, so teaching people to aim low center mass means shooting off-torso in stress situations. Teaching high-center-mass (nipple height on a man) means heart & lung shots with on-target hits, and gutshots on stress shots. Those are the shots that will end confrontations, especially if someone is chemically inured to not feel pain.

Sgt Steve on February 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Galt2009 on February 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

And through all this Senator McCain has attained, and has created for himself serenity, and it is only his insanity that has kept him alive in his senility.

RasThavas on February 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM

When my dad took me to the range when I was a boy, he told me about the first time he took my mom shooting. When my mom shot her gun, she realised that her weaker frame and build would never put her at a disadvantage against a male assailant. She told my dad that all the weakness she’s felt since she was a little girl melted away. With a gun in my mother’s hand, no man, no matter how big, has an advantage. That’s pretty powerful stuff, and is something I’ve never felt, being a man. I imagine that many women recently are feeling the same thing, having overcome the “fearful” propaganda about guns from the Left.

Weight of Glory on February 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM

far below a “majority,” at 38%

Well, you have to have that sort of math if you want to claim things like “A majority of people want gun control.” or “A majority of people want single payer health care.” Or, more importantly, “A majority of people believe that President Obama should be President for Life.”

LoganSix on February 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Maybe women of America are regaining the spirit of the Madonna of the Trail:

The Madonna of the Trail is a pinkish, stony-faced pioneer Mom, in long dress and bonnet, strutting westward with a rifle on one arm, an infant on the other, and another little cruncher grasping Mom’s skirt.

Weight of Glory on February 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Yeah, I saw lefties quoting that misleading number about southern gun owners all over the place yesterday.

Also, the big headline at HuffPo since last night has been that another Chicago girl got murdered after being near Obama, or at least her sister was. The murdered girl (mother of a 4 month old baby, with no baby daddy in sight) had a sister who attended Obama’s gun control speech in Chicago the other day.

Lefty policy kills another young Chicagoan.

Anyway, it’s good for the country that so many women are taking up firearms.

juliesa on February 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Alec Baldwin better think twice before roughing up any more women.

forest on February 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

No post about Fareed’s interview with ex Aussie PM yesterday on the gun ban and it’s success in reducing gun violence?

Questions were phrased to omit any factual data re crime actually increasing.

Surprised? Thought not.

can_con on February 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Galt2009 on February 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

RasThavas on February 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Those people are really getting on my last nerve – We’re the Conservative back bone that keeps their sorry hides in office and all the seem to want to do is turn on liberty every chance they get.

No one has been able to answer the simple question of just why “Something” has to be done to punish the innocent at this point in time?

Each time there is a massacre the innocent somehow have to lose a little more freedom.

Each time there is a massacre that lose of a little more freedom is forgotten in favor of the next lose due to the next massacre.

Where does it stop?

Galt2009 on February 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Yet, the LA police chief has said that guns are not a defensive weapon. Somehow he thinks he knows better?

Good to see this demographic expand; women are empowering themselves for real instead of the old line that abortion is the best and only way to do it. I wonder how the MSM are going to square this with their stereotype of gun owners as crazed wild-eyed tobacco-chewing white guys itching for someone to shoot.

Liam on February 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM

My final paperwork for my CHL goes in the mail tomorrow. I REFUSE to be a victim.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM

And the rest of us shudder.

ALayT

cozmo on February 18, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Great seeing strong women talking common sense. So refreshing compared to the normal media weakness and BS like Fluke and “what difference does it make” types.
Most interesting woman I ever dated never left home without it…

RalphyBoy on February 18, 2013 at 11:20 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Oh, but you are! You have been brainwashed by the patriarchy of dead white males into their decadent corrupt value system. Bet you chew that nasty tabacci instead of using something healthy–like pot! //

Liam on February 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM

====================================

So,the women are not going to wait around for the Shinning Knight
on a Governmental Horse to save them!!!!

canopfor on February 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Way to go, twerp. *thumbs up*

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Huh? Ironic. The same demographic that helps drive the democratic machine.

gator70 on February 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Video: Meet the fastest-growing demographic among gun owners

Of course we all know that guns are just making up for their lack of big…wait a second here! WTH? That doesn’t fit the meme!

Certainly Gloria Steinem and Co. are thrilled about women empowering themselves (and firepowering themselves)…probably hopes they go on man-killing rampages.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I may actually be looking for a new job because I’ll soon be ‘packing’. Wally’s doesn’t allow associates to to carry or even keep weapons locked in their cars. I don’t drive-but I do walk 5 1/2 miles to work. All the walking I do is a BIG reason why I’m getting my CHL. Since Wally won’t let me carry-which is their right-it’s time to look for a position closer to home.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I think women everywhere should arm themselves and carry. We should encourage them often.

dogsoldier on February 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I hope some smart place picks you up right away.

dogsoldier on February 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Congrats ALT

koaiko on February 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I was mentioning to Mrs Harbingeing this morning about the surge in female gun ownership, and she just smiled and said, “Well, it’s probably because they heard Obama say they can’t have one.”

Harbingeing on February 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Chicks are also starting to learn that most guys think one of the hottest sights is seeing a hot chick in Daisy Dukes squeezing off some rounds from an AR.

But of course NBC tried to hide that aspect. Scum.

WhatSlushfund on February 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I live in California on the coast and the women’s gun classes cannot keep up with the demand. So, eat it, lib. Women want guns and they don’t like the government telling them they can’t have them.

Charm on February 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM

But of course NBC tried to hide that aspect. Scum.

WhatSlushfund on February 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM

There’s also another thing, expressed in the age-old question: “Have you ever seen an attractive liberal feminist?”

Liam on February 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM

People are slowly but surely letting it sink in that things may not be all swell and sparkly and hunky dory in the near future. I’ve heard of more than one LE chief in this country tell the Citizens that they are pretty much on their own if confronted with thugs.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that things are indeed going downhill, that many people are out of work, heavily in debt, that alcoholism and drug abuse if not on the rise is holding steady, not to mention increasing depression and suicides.

Many more realize that there is a growing population out there who will take advantage of the slow breakdown of LE in many areas due mainly to budget cuts, that they need money (for drugs, to feed their families, just out of meanness, whatever)…I don’t know how many get that we have a large percentage who feel entitled to whatever they want, but maybe many do realize that.

Certainly many women feel that they may need to protect their children, the things they’ve worked hard for, and possibly protect themselves from sexual assault. Their husbands aren’t always around, and considering the high divorce rate we have, there may not be any man around at all.

I’m still stunned that my Lib wife wants a concealed weapons permit all of a sudden! Even ten years ago, no way. It’s all I can do to say to her, “Well, look who you voted to run this country into the ground…what do you expect?”

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM

This is a must-read for anyone who ever needs to answer idiotic questions from libruls about WHY anyone should carry a firearm. For me, it’s more than a “social obligation”, it’s a moral imperative and a mission, to make concealed carry the fashionable norm, especially for women, instead of an anomaly.

Harbingeing on February 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM

My wife just bought a handgun a couple of weeks ago to carry for protection. She is working on getting her CHP.

For Valentines day she wanted more ammunition and we just had date night at the range, she loves shooting now…I should have talked her into buying a weapon a long time ago.

tommer74 on February 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Now that’s some women after my own heart. G-d bless them all.

DDay on February 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

..or the old stand-by. 8+1 instances of 1/2-inch noisy, knock-down belligerance.

The War Planner on February 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

If you like that, you’ll love this…

ITguy on February 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Hey! These things are important! When defending yourself, it is important that the muzzle brake match the shoes!

Men!

Bulletchaser on February 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM

tommer74 on February 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I’m deciding how I’m going to carry. I’m a tomboy so I don’t wear dresses/skirts or carry purses. I also haven’t…been endowed by my creator enough to comfortably wear a flash bang holster
However, his little ‘lady’ looks very promising.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM

ITguy on February 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Sorry-but AB lost me when she came out as a birther.
I like some of her ideas-but I can’t get past the birther thing.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Palin has a nice gun…

Sarah Palin Honored by NRA With Assault Rifle

NY Daily News

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin was bashed for her pricey wardrobe, but now she’s getting a lethal accessory.

The National Rifle Association Foundation will present Sen. John McCain’s ill-fated running mate with a military-style assault weapon next week.

The all-white “Alaskan Hunter” – fashionable until Labor Day – is the civilian version of a modified M-4 rifle carried by U.S. troops overseas.

Alaska’s feisty Republican governor, who is weighing a potential 2012 presidential bid, will receive the rifle made by Templar Consulting at a May 14 NRA banquet.

It’s engraved with Palin’s name and adorned with a map of the state on the collapsible stock – made legal after the expiration of the assault weapons ban in 2004. The Big Dipper from the state flag is etched on the magazine well behind a vented barrel guard.

The rifle is chambered in .50-caliber “Beowulf.” It’s the same caliber used by heavy machine guns, which can take down big game, and in war zones “can disable both motor vehicles and assailants with body armor,” according to ammo manufacturer Alexander Arms’ Web site.

Templar gun designer Bob Reynolds told the NRA’s magazine that Palin had stood up for Second Amendment gun rights and “I just wanted to do something to give back.”

Nice rifle for the next POTUS.

Palin 2016

ChuckTX on February 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

ChuckTX on February 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Cool gun. Cool person-but not for president.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Who owns guns per Gallup – MSNBC: 15% women NBC: prev 13% women now 23% women

0_o

deepdiver on February 18, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Appearing on a Chicago Sunday morning talk show, [Chicago Police] superintendent Garry McCarthy expressed his conviction that firearm owners who lobby their elected representatives or who donate money to political campaigns are engaged in corruption that endangers public safety. McCarthy went on to express his belief that judges and legislators should rely on public opinion polls when interpreting our Constitution.

After dismissing the citizen’s right to redress grievances, McCarthy focused on the 2nd Amendment. Despite recent court decisions to the contrary, McCarthy opined that the 2nd Amendment limits citizens to owning smooth-bore muskets. McCarthy went on to say that he believes the 2nd Amendment supports mandatory liability insurance for firearm owners and the mandatory application of GPS tracking devices to civilian owned firearms.

So this is Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s man. Ouch.

J_Crater on February 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Women should remain as defenseless as the children in their wombs.

Right, Zero?

OhEssYouCowboys on February 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Sekhmet on February 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Yup, just sold my home in Liberty Hill, Tx this past week…small world..

hillsoftx on February 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM

ChuckTX on February 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Cool gun. Cool person-but not for president.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Luv ya ALT, but have to disagree.

The one person I would support more than ANY OTHER
for President.

ToddPA on February 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Sorry-but AB lost me when she came out as a birther.
I like some of her ideas-but I can’t get past the birther thing.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Do you honor the rule of law?

Do you support the enforcement of current Immigration law?

Do you know that the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires that:

All employees, citizens and noncitizens, hired after November 6, 1986 and working in the United States must complete a Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.

Is there any exception made in that law for any occupation, including President?

Is Obama an employee, hired after November 6, 1986 and working in the United States?

Do you know whether or not Obama is in compliance with current Immigration law?

Do you know whether or not Obama has completed a Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, and if so, what documents he used as proof of his employment eligibility?

Do you realize that the Form I-9 is very specific about what documents are acceptable?

A person cannot “release” a URL, JPG, or PDF and have that be considered acceptable documentation for a Form I-9.

Do you realize that you are accepting as evidence something that is not accepted as evidence for a Form I-9?

Do you agree that the President is not above the law, and that Obama should publicly release original, initial documentation, certified by the appropriate government agency, to meet the requirements of not only the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 but also the United States Constitution?

I.E., that Obama himself must prove that he is not only a citizen but also a natural born citizen?

Do you know that even if the “Obama birth narrative” is 100% true, Obama admits that he was born a British subject?

Do you believe that it is possible to simultaneously be a natural born subject of the British monarchy and a natural born citizen of the United States?

Can you prove to me that Obama is in compliance with current immigration law and submitted a Form I-9 with acceptable hard copy documentation to prove that he is a natural born citizen of the United States?

No, you can’t.

I support and defend the Constitution and the Rule of Law. I want both Obama and Biden to submit I-9 forms and hard copy documentation from the list of Acceptable Documentation to prove that thy are not only eligible to work in the United States but also eligible to hold the office of President of the United States.

Then, I want the Supreme Court to put to rest the doubts that the Court itself raised in the case of Minor vs. Happersett:

The Fourteenth Amendment did not affect the citizenship of women any more than it did of men. In this particular, therefore, the rights of Mrs. Minor do not depend upon the amendment.

The Constitution does not in words say who shall be natural-born citizens. Resort must be had elsewhere to ascertain that. At common law, with the nomenclature of which the framers of the Constitution were familiar, it was never doubted that all children born in a country of parents who were its citizens became themselves, upon their birth, citizens also. These were natives or natural-born citizens, as distinguished from aliens or foreigners. Some authorities go further and include as citizens children born within the jurisdiction without reference to the citizenship of their parents. As to this class there have been doubts, but never as to the first. For the purposes of this case, it is not necessary to solve these doubts. It is sufficient for everything we have now to consider that all children born of citizen parents within the jurisdiction are themselves citizens.

The Supreme Court did not construe the 14th Amendment in that case because Virginia Minor was a natural born citizen.

Natural born citizens do not need the 14th Amendment in order to be considered citizens.

The contrapositive is that anyone who needs the 14th Amendment in order to be considered a citizen is therefore not a natural born citizen.

And Obama’s own campaign web site in 2008 said:

“Obama became a citizen at birth under the first section of the 14th Amendment”.

And Obama’s own campaign web site later in 2008 said:

“As a Kenyan native, Barack Obama Sr. was a British subject whose citizenship status was governed by The British Nationality Act of 1948. That same act governed the status of Obama Sr.‘s children.”

Regardless of birthplace, Obama was born a British subject, subject to the British crown. He needed the 14th Amendment in order to be considered a U.S. Citizen. But natural born citizens, born in the country to parents who are its citizens, do not need the 14th Amendment.

I firmly believe that someone born a natural born subject of the British crown is not a natural born citizen of the United States.

Obama may have been a U.S. citizen at birth, but he is not a natural born citizen of the United States.

If Obama were to submit a Form I-9 with a hard copy, certified, initial birth certificate from Hawaii, and the U.S. Supreme Court were to rule that “native born” is sufficient for “natural born”, without reference to the citizenship of their parents, then I would let this settle the matter.

But neither has happened.

He may be the Resident of the White House, but he has yet to be proven the Constitutionally-eligible President of the United States.

ITguy on February 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM

ss396 on February 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Now that right there, that’s heavy.

Cleombrotus on February 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Yeah, or she could have just shot him once with a .45 :-)

Oldnuke on February 18, 2013 at 1:08 PM

can_con on February 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Time magazine has already weighed in on the subject.

Cleombrotus on February 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Hey, alt, TX has a parking lot law now, so employers can’t prohibit their employees from keeping guns in their cars. You might check to see if your Wallyworld is in violation of that.

Congrats on the CHL! I’m excited for you!

juliesa on February 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM

ITguy on February 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I’m with you, ITguy.

Cleombrotus on February 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

If she was a NY resident, she’d be SOL. Nanny Cuomo now permits – PERMITS! – us to have 10-round mags, but only seven bullets. Why? Because he believes that restricting the rights of sane, law-abiding citizens will put a dent in the crimes committed by crazy people and thugs who use illegal weapons to commit their crimes.

Maddie on February 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM

ChuckTX on February 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Geez! .50 caliber in a M-4 platform!

a capella on February 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM

juliesa on February 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Oh, they are. Since I can’t drive it doesn’t matter.
*Thanks, btw!*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM

IT Guy:
Enjoy your comments. (is it OK to say that?)
How do you find the time?

countrybumpkin on February 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

So…if the AR-15 were pink with purple polka dots, would it still be ‘scary’ and therefore banned by Feinstein?

DublOh7 on February 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Cleombrotus on February 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Thank you.

I think it’s crazy for any so-called “conservative” to allow Obama to flaunt current immigration law and the Constitution of the United States.

One couldn’t submit a URL with a link to a JPG or PDF to get a minimum wage job… they would be required to submit a Form I-9 with acceptable hard copy documentation to prove their employment eligibility.

But apparently even many so-called “conservatives” are OK with the pResident being above the law.

ITguy on February 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Here’s something for the libs to suck on; had a rifle match at the local military base a couple of months ago, mix of civilian and military competitors. The WINNER was a 15 year old girl firing an AR. Score was 798-26X. (for those unfamiliar that’s 798 out of 800). Firing was from the 200, 300 and 600 yard lines.

GarandFan on February 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM

countrybumpkin on February 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Thanks.

I’m passionate about helping to restore and preserve what made this country great.

I keep private blog postings where I work on topics that interest me, and I sometimes copy and paste material from there to here, so I’m not always typing it from scratch.

ITguy on February 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM

… plus, when I see a well-made point that I like, I incorporate it. I don’t always go to the effort to give proper attribution to other bloggers (sorry), but I usually do when the quote is from a former President, etc.

ITguy on February 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Looks like an S&W .357…

PatriotRider on February 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Meryl Yourish on February 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

That’s awesome!

ChuckTX on February 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Talk about distorting the truth… yes, it’s the same caliber – but so is a .50 Hawken black powder rifle. Yes, I understand the ballistic advantages of the Beowulf – but this guy is trying to lead you to believe that it’s right up there with the .50 BMG. It ain’t.

Hill60 on February 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Twerp, et al, please keep in mind that just because you buy a piano that doesn’t make you a musician.
Practice, practice and practice … it will not make you ‘perfect’ but proficiency is what you must have.
Fundamental Rules of the Gun Fight:
1) Don’t go.
2) If you have to go, take a gun.
3) Never take a NEW gun.
4) Take a big gun. (Take TWO guns.)
The reasons for these rules are self explanatory.
Intution is often crucial in combat, and survivors learn not to ignore it. – Col. F.F. Barry USMC(Ret.)
But keep in mind:
The fastest gun in a fight is the one that is ALREADY IN YOUR HAND.

And finally if things have gone so badly that the fateful decision to draw and fire cannot be avoided.
Follow these Steps for Survival:
Shoot FIRST
Shoot STRAIGHT
Shoot FAST
Shoot LAST

And immediately consider how your life has changed forever.

Missilengr on February 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM

SS396 wrote “Other factors might be a backdrop culture that teaches respect for guns instead of fear of them; respect for individuals instead of fear of them; respect for your neighbors instead of fear of them.

The correlation between liberals and urban environment is strong. For having collected into and expanding these cities, they have failed miserably at building communities. They live in fear of their neighbors. Rural folks don’t.”

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve been preaching this ever since my political awareness began to grow after 9/11. The problem with lack of conservatism in this country, a lack of respect for others, the loss of pride in being American, etc. etc. etc. I can claim is caused by urban living. Not that urbanites really live, they just exist. Living in a city completely removes any sense of “hunter gatherer” from our daily life. An instinct that one can’t just suppress without serious consequences after thousands and thousands of years. You know what else live in “cities”? Insects. City living is no different than living like a giant cockroach or ant. It does not promote personal resposibility, a hard work ethic or the appreciation of what this country has to offer. I can’t quite explain it, but the two times I lived an “urban” lifestyle while doing internships for my schooling, I never felt so dehumanized as I did when I was living like a cockroach. Solve the “urban living” problem and you’ll solve 90%+ of America’s ills.

rayvet on February 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Missilengr on February 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM

2 summers ago I tried to ‘catch and release’ a brown recluse that was ambling across my living room carpet. I don’t like hurting things. I take my CHL responsibility VERY seriously. I dry-fire every day, and go to the range every other week-when Spawn can give me a ride. I’m getting my CHL because I walk everywhere. I’m a known face because of it. I also stay up late blogging etc. I know that’s not CC-but there’s still potential for danger. Heaven forbid that I come into danger while walking, or if someone starts trying to kick down my door @ 2AM. I hope it NEVER happens-but if it does…I intend to be ready.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Missilengr on February 18, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I have a .38 Special. It’s the right weapon for me, and I pray that it’ll do what needs to be done if it comes to that.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 4:13 PM

You women better support black-guns (Yes the AR15) and ALL mags, or you will loose your politically correct revolvers also at some point as well as your semi auto glocks. The supreme court cases that say COMMON USE ARMS CAN NOT BE BANNED, is irrelevant to socialist state legislators.

My wife is inherently pro-gun and I gave her a 223 AR15 this year for christmas. However, when women appear squishy on what politicians call ‘assault’ guns, they damage their credibility as a whole because libtards do not care what they ban now. If they don’t ban it now, they will try to ban it later. Smalls steps is all they need. A Magazine here, a bayonet lug there, until all you are ‘allowed’ to have is a single shot shotgun like the UK subjects. Women voters better pay more attention to politics and get involved, or they, specifically will suffer by being unable to defend themselves.

—-annoyinglittletwerp—-

A .38 revolver is better than nothing sure, when you are walking to the store, however its a poor choice to defend yourself in your house. You should be using a shotgun, rifle or at the least a semi-auto handgun with a readily available second magazine with 10+ capacity, NOT a revolver which are difficult to reload under stress. Revolvers are great for carry guns outside the home where you are limited on what you can carry. In your house, you will likely need more than 6 rounds as is shown over and over again by actual defensive incidents. .38 is relatively weak in nature. Theres several examples to prove it. If you are going to carry a weak caliber, you better have readily accessible ways to reload or you risk being killed because you are at a serious disadvantage when your attacker is likely coming with a semi auto with way more than 6 bullets. If you would have said you are using a .357 MAGNUM to defend yourself, I would be 100% with you, even if you only practiced with .38sp loads out of cost savings. But again, you must have the ability to reload in the dark.

If you are ONLY comfortable with a .38, you need practice. You also need to broaden your horizons, experiment with other platforms and take a proactive stance to defend yourself in your home. It’s time to upgrade.

TX-96 on February 18, 2013 at 6:11 PM

TX-96 on February 18, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I have a mild coordination problem on my left side-I’m a southpaw-while my right side is stronger but less coordinated. It isn’t a problem with my revolver-but a semi right now,requires more fine motor skills(especially when it comes down to brass tacks) than I currently possess. My little revolver is point and click. It doesn’t require fiddling with safeties, slides, and magazines. I was able to pass my shooting ‘test’ w/ my .38-and with even more practice, I have faith that I can become a fairly quick shot.
I can’t use a semi right now. A weapon I’m incapable of firing is useless to me. I might up-grade to a 357.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Why do the Democrats want to disarm women?

Why are Democrats launching a war on women?

EnglishRogue on February 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

So they can rape, assault, and murder them without consequence. Can you say, “Ted Kennedy”? How about, “Menendez”?

woodNfish on February 18, 2013 at 7:57 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Secured but accessible. http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/desantis/scabbard-3.jpg

Thumb up the flannel/sweatshirt.
Thumb down to the grip.
Pretty likely you can find someone at the range who can show you exactly how easy it works.

S. D. on February 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM