Rove: The GOP needs more Rand Pauls and fewer Christine O’Donnells

posted at 1:31 pm on February 18, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Karl Rove has been taking a lot of heat over the past few weeks for his new I-swear-this-isn’t-about-smothering-the-Tea-Party PAC-extension, whose mission is to help nominate what they deem to be the most ‘electable’ candidates ahead of the 2014 midterms. Rove again appeared on Fox News on Sunday to defend his new operation’s agenda and try to quell the circulating fears about his suspiciously establishment-shaped ambitions:

Let’s be clear, we did spend $30 million on behalf of Tea Party candidates. … We were the largest outside group supporting Rand Paul. … No, some people associated with the Tea Party — look, Todd Akin was not a Tea Party candidate. … Our object is to avoid having stupid candidates who can’t win general elections, who are undisciplined, can’t raise money, aren’t putting together the support necessary to win the general election campaign — because this money is too difficult to raise to be spending it on the behalf of candidates who have little chance winning in the general election. … The more we examine the quality of these candidates from top to bottom, the more likely we end up with fewer Christine O’Donnells and more Rand Pauls.

In a nutshell, no, this isn’t about quashing the unruly Tea Party, it’s about the Conservative Victory Project playing self-styled Republican-party policeman by more thoroughly vetting potential candidates in the first place.

To which Bob Woodward rejoined, “My last book is going to be called, ‘Some People Never Go Away,’ and Karl’s going to get his own chapter. … So you’re going to set yourself up as a kind of polling hero… The whole theory of Republicanism is to let the local, state, or district decide.” Heh.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

reason that Romney lost — Obama had a much better ground game.

Count to 10 on February 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Reason Numero Uno why allowing the party to jam any candidate NOT enthusiastically supported by the conservative voting base — i.e., the unpaid ground troops who traditionally take on the thankless tasks of phone banking, door knocking, envelope stuffing, etc. — is Loser Politics 101.

You want a better “ground game?” Try not taking a long, steaming electoral whizz all over your ground troops, first and foremost.

Kent18 on February 18, 2013 at 8:57 PM

BTW, to the Palin HATERS, no! She did Not Join Al Jazeera!

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 8:51 PM

LOL, that should have been evident on it’s face. If it wasn’t, they shouldn’t be on any political blog:-)

Oh, yes organization is everything when doing as much as you do.
I was involved with a group on line fighting Obamacare and had eveything at my fingertips. Monitoring the TV/C-span/blogging/faxing/printing/emailing/radio on, making and sharing House/Senate members lists and on and on.

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Worth the look for those that haven’t seen this:

Little Lord Karl Leader Of The Whigs.

Bmore on February 18, 2013 at 1:36 PM

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Time for a sweetener:

At the last MIGOP Convention Dave Agema ran for Republican National Committeeman.

He is one of our state representatives who submitted a bill that would have kept companies that use ILLEGAL Aliens from getting State contracts. For his effort his life was being threatened by Mexican support groups as well as Islamic leaders in Dearborn, MI. By the time of the convention he was carrying a concealed gun.

I’m proud to have been a small part in making Dave our Republican National Committeeman.

THAT is what getting involved gets you.

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Oops. Looks like the link didn’t carry to active. Go to page 1 of this thread and not too far down.

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:04 PM

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I remember when Michelle Malkin called us to arms when feedback to our representatives was needed. She seems to have backed away from that since the disappearance of her cousin[?] though.

The lady remains one of the few reporters/authors that still impress me.

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Rove probably should not have called out names..But if his PAC wants to raise money for candidates..That is his right..Bottom line..It will either suceed or fail..:)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 9:08 PM

reason that Romney lost — Obama had a much better ground game.

Count to 10 on February 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM

BUNK! The reason 0bama won is because Romneycare Willard took the issue of 0bamacare off of the table, which I predicted would happen LAST APRIL!

Should I share the link which demonstrates how the GOP’s candidates LOST MISERABLY while actual TEA Party Conservatives keep winning?

BTW, where is the FREEDOM in ANY liberal MANDATE?

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM

THAT is what getting involved gets you.

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 9:04 PM

That took a lot of courage on his part and others that were involved I’m sure. Would that Congress has some.

Take care!!

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM

The lady remains one of the few reporters/authors that still impress me.

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Yes she is very passionate and a hard worker as well. Everyone that speaks out publicly needs protection. Keeping facts & truth out of the conversation is what all liars want.

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I think the problem is that he wants to pick the State’s Primary Candidates FOR the voters. They don’t need to choose, he will choose for them.

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM

3. This isn’t how politics works. You cannot base a winning presidential campaign on a vote AGAINST. You simply can’t.

rrpjr on February 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM

No matter how clearly or often you repeat this unalterable, fundamental electoral truth: the CINO shills and apologists will. never. EVER. “get.” it. Sad, but true.

They’ll end up being no less comically gobsmacked come ’16, when their “But You Absolutely HAVE To Vote For Jebbie, Dammit!” campaign ends up being brutally trampled underfoot by the Hillary politcal machine. Bookmark it.

Kent18 on February 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I see absolutely nothing wrong with what Rove said. He is right. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz are good candidates and will be excellent senators. O’Donnell was a nut job and Angle, Akin and Mourdock were all unelectable. I bet we wish we had those seats right now.

The Opinionator on February 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I have no use for any portion of those 4 million.

Tater Salad on February 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I suggest you find a use. You’ll need them. Politics is about inspiring your base, not bitterly exiling them after they failed to be browbeaten into supporting a lesser evil.

rrpjr on February 18, 2013 at 7:37 PM

If I could reach through the monitor and embrace you, I would. ;)

Sharpest, most dead-on comment yet on this thread. Seriously.

Kent18 on February 18, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Take care!!

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM

We’ve got a storm headed in [no, it is NOT AlGorbal Warming silly libs!] so I’m outta here for ‘a bit’ [measurement of time to be determined at a later date].

Be well!

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Angle, Akin and Mourdock McCain and Mittens were all unelectable. I bet we wish we had those seats that office right now.

The Opinionator on February 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Fixed for accuracy.

Kent18 on February 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM

It really was that simple.

fight like a girl on February 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM

OMG! You are making posts almost identical to mine last April. Good job!

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Those old threads from the Mr Electability days are hilarious. Here’s a nugget from the one you referenced:

Well, it’ll be fun to twist the knife and say “I told you so” to the Hot Air crybabies when Romney wins. Five bucks says that when the polls start showing Romney with a lead, they’ll all come around and swallow their bitterness anyway.

BettyRuth on April 11, 2012 at 11:46 AM

LOL…

ddrintn on February 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM

The Opinionator on February 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Wasn’t Rove against both of those initially?

ddrintn on February 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I think he means that his PAC will fund help fund a more mainstream candidate..That does not mean that candidates wil get shut out..If anyone wants to run they can..:)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I think he means that his PAC will help fund a more mainstream candidate..That does not mean that candidates wil get shut out..If anyone wants to run they can..:)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Sorry..:)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM

It really doesn’t matter. Rove, Bush Inc, the GOPe, whatever are still going around as if Romney was whisked into the White House with all their squishy brilliance. He wasn’t. Actually, the more they talk about O’Donnell and Angle the less they have to talk about Mr Electability not being so electable after all. This is the death throes of the Whigs.

ddrintn on February 18, 2013 at 9:37 PM

This is the death throes of the Whigs.

ddrintn on February 18, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Well if that is the case thenRove and Co. will not be able to raise any money..We will see..:)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 9:43 PM

What, raise enough money for squishy candidates who’ll lose? Let Rove burn through all the money he wants. You are aware of his success rate in 2012, I guess.

ddrintn on February 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM

ddrintn on February 18, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Yes I’m aware..Rove is a big boy he will adapt..Politics are fluid..:)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I don’t know if Rove is going about this the right way, but do we continue to elect these candidates? Akin, Angle, Buck, and Mourdock…what the hell were these people thinking? These were AWFUL candidates that have ended up costing us a GOP majority in the Senate. And it’s not that we needed RINOs running in their stead. These were states where solid conservatives should have had no problem winning in. Come on, we lost Missouri and Indiana!?!? Give me a break! The problem with doing nothing is that the Dems will continue to be proactive in protecting their most vulnerable candidates. They will continue pouring millions of dollars into GOP primaries to help elect the weakest candidate, and they will continue playing conservatives for suckers.

And in states like Delaware and Massachusetts, conservatives need to recognize that a solid conservative has as much a chance of winning a state-wide election as a liberal has of winning in South Carolina. O’Donnell was a much better candidate than the other four stooges, but she never stood a chance in Delaware. I’d rather have someone who’s with us half the time, like Scott Brown, than someone who will do nothing more than serve as a pawn for Obama, like Elizabeth Warren.

ncconservative on February 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Yes I’m aware..Rove is a big boy he will adapt..Politics are fluid..:)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Not fluid enough to make Rove’s enterprise a success. Conservatives will adapt too.

ddrintn on February 18, 2013 at 9:58 PM

ncconservative on February 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

You forgot Romney.

ddrintn on February 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM

These were AWFUL candidates that have ended up costing us…

ncconservative on February 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

The White House in 1996, 2008, and 2012.

sharrukin on February 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM

ncconservative on February 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

So how was Brown’s loss the fault of Sharron Angle and Christine O’Donnell or Akin?

ddrintn on February 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM

OMG! You are making posts almost identical to mine last April. Good job!

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Oh my God, I remember those days!

Dunedainn on February 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM

The Opinionator on February 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Nice to say AFTER the fact. Am I not mistaken that they all won their Primaries? Had Rove et all not trashed them, who knows if they would have won or not? Don’t you see Rove is predicting the Past from the Future?

Do you really think with Rove’s losing record after spending 400mil
that he should be the one to decide who and who isn’t “electable?”

Rubio said Rove was one of the first to support him…wait for it..
$1,000.00 A thousand dollars, LOL

Love ya, but have to disagree on this one:-)

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Oh my God, I remember those days!

Dunedainn on February 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM

And who was right back then? it was I, the AWE inspiring Danno Mann! /rush projection.

I crack myself sometimes, especially when I’m this BLOODY tired.

LOL…

ddrintn on February 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM

While I do see the humor in it I remain dispirited by the bench warming, Palin hating, Romneycare Willard supporters. If they had put 1/100th of the effort into getting the bum elected that they put into blasting Me for being Right …

“I’ve got vision and everyone else is wearing bifocals.” I can relate.

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 9:33 PM

You mean like these that he funded?
The hundreds of millions of dollars Rove and company spent over the last couple years have given us President Romney, Senator Dewhurst of Texas, Senator Berg of North Dakota, Senator Thompson of Wisconsin, Senator Rehberg of Montana, Senator McMahon of Connecticut, and Florida Senator Charlie Crist, to name a few. With a stellar track record like that, I can’t wait to see who they pick next. Oh wait. C4P

I wouldn’t give Rove any money, based on that record:-) I’d have better odds with the lottery, LOL

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

^^^ crack myself UP…^^^

Spit! Rats! Gotta stay awake! [Push push Push PUSH...]

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM

“I’ve got vision and everyone else is wearing bifocals.” I can relate.

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

ROFL!

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Shucks, I thought all of y’all were kissing the GOP goodbye anyway. What do you care what Rove does?

Or was all that talk just empty bluster, as usual?

Adjoran on February 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

ncconservative on February 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

You forgot Romney.

ddrintn on February 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM

These were AWFUL candidates that have ended up costing us…

ncconservative on February 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

The White House in 1996, 2008, and 2012.

sharrukin on February 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Haha! I love how you guys deflect. Great discussion!

ncconservative on February 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Or was all that talk just empty bluster, as usual?

Adjoran on February 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Same reason we care what Obama does.

sharrukin on February 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Or was all that talk just empty bluster, as usual?

Adjoran on February 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

WE in the TEA Party continue to work to take the Republican Party back from the RINO’s that currently infest it today. I’ll be going to the MIGOP Convention as an elected delegate to elect actual Conservatives to the leadership roles.

SO, what have YOU done lately? Are you at least paying your Democrat Tax Increases in a timely manner?

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Haha! I love how you guys deflect. Great discussion!

ncconservative on February 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Deflect?

You completely ignore the presidential candidate and you think we are evading the issue?

sharrukin on February 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

ncconservative on February 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

ddrintn on February 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Not sure. Ask the person who made that charge, because it certainly wasn’t me.

ncconservative on February 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

These were AWFUL candidates that have ended up costing us…

ncconservative on February 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I guess I’ll repeat myself AGAIN:

Rove and his boosters constantly whine about the GOP “losing the Senate” in 2010 and 2012 (when taking it back from the Dems was always an iffy proposition).

But Rove gets a free pass for the 2006 and 2008 elections, when he and his acolytes LITERALLY lost the GOP control of the Senate AND the House (not to mention the Presidency), putting us in this predicament in the first place.

Rove, et al., created this situation and now they’re blaming others for not getting us out of it.

steebo77 on February 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

steebo77 on February 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Which is worse? 0bama or the GOP insiders like Rove?

I see 0bama as a bad case of warts which can easily be burned off if we don’t mind suffering a little bit.

Rove and his corrupt crotch critters are a cancer that is inside the body politic and is much harder to get rid of.

The only cure is an extreme dose of TEA [as in TEA Party], and we need you Real Americans to help make it.

“I’ve got vision and everyone else is wearing bifocals.” Can you dig it, man!

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM

steebo77 on February 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

DUDE! Rock ON!

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Kent18 on February 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM

It is a vicious cycle of denial driven by the fear of losing power.

Somewhere along the way, the two political parties forgot that the people hold the power, not them.
And somewhere along the way, a large majority of the American electorate became a mass of lemmings willing to be led over a cliff by their two party masters.

fight like a girl on February 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

fight like a girl on February 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Pearls of wisdom!

Never forget that bench warmers accomplish nothing, and whiners never win. Only by getting involved can anyone become relevant, successful, and fulfill their American Dream.

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Rove was right that the democrats put money into Akin’s primary campaign. He beat 2 better candidates that split the vote. He also put part the blame for Murdock’s loss on Lugar. I don’t know if Rove backed anyone those primaries.

Jasper61 on February 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM

ddrintn on February 18, 2013 at 9:58 PM

We will see..:)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I hear you..Your choice..No problems here..:)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I hear you..Your choice..No problems here..:)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I know:-) I’ve just never cared for anyone to tell me what to do when the choice should be mine. My vote is mine and won’t allow Rove or anyone else to tell me who to cast it for. We have enough of these “I know what’s best for you” in D.C., when they really mean they want what is best for them, LOL They can’t even lie well:-)

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM

He pulled five million from Akin, overnight, that really inspires confidence,

narciso on February 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM

So, am I to understand Bob Woodward is writing an autobiography?

rogaineguy on February 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM

He pulled five million from Akin, overnight, that really inspires confidence,

narciso on February 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I remember Rove & Crossroads pulled a lot, but forgot how much.
Also I think the RNC did also as I remember Priebus making a statement to that affect.

They didn’t want Akin to begin with and were just looking for any excuse to destroy him. Sadly, he gave them one. However, he apologized but that wasn’t enough for those “holier” than thous.

This is what happens when Dictators start ruling.

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Karl Rove is right.

No more Christine O’Donnell’s, no more Akins, please!

I am glad that Crossroads is going to help people who can actually win. No more of letting the whack jobs ruin things and hand winnable elections to the Dems.

bluegill on February 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Akin was a turd who should have dropped out. Good riddance to that “True Con™” loser.

bluegill on February 19, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Seriously, ……have really gotten to where we are defending Akin, Mourdock, and o’Donnell, yet complaining about Romney; worse yet to not vote for him?

Tater Salad on February 19, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Tater Salad on February 19, 2013 at 12:57 AM

You need to learn to read for detail.

Not a single person on this thread has defended Akin.

I think the consensus is that Mourdock was no Akin – his comments, in response to a debate question, were fairly innocuous, and he would have survived if Lugar, Daniels, Pence, etc., actually had stood behind him. But everyone played directly into the media’s hand.

Say what you want about O’Donnell, who had many deep flaws as a candidate (which practically everyone here would agree), but she wouldn’t have voted for far-left policies like Cap and Trade the way Castle would have. And it’s not like Castle would have won anyway. We’re talking about Delaware for Charlie Crist’s sake!

Speaking of O’Donnell, Rove needs to SHUT UP about that race. If he really wants to distance the GOP from candidates like her, then he should STOP BRINGING HER UP every chance he gets.

Now, how about those defending Rove for the spectacular implosion of the GOP, circa 2002 – present?

steebo77 on February 19, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Hey, Karl, bend over. I need someplace to stick Mike Castle.

SurferDoc on February 19, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Good smack back on the Politburo swipe. Rove loves politics and he is a practical machine guy. He is not really philosophical, which is why he was a Bush guy.

AshleyTKing on February 19, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I DARE the Willard/Rove/Palin HATERS/GOP Elitist supporters to watch this. Then come back and tell us how WONDERFUL Rove is.

I wouldn’t trust Rove to walk my dog.

DannoJyd on February 19, 2013 at 2:13 AM

steebo77 on February 19, 2013 at 1:17 AM

lolz..Rove won big in 2000 and 2004..Lest we forget..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Palin supporters on this thread:

You need to back up your claims of her continued relevance without resorting to childish name-calling…is my final verdict.

I am not convinced she is relevant.

And no matter how relevant she may ultimately be, her faux howdy-doodie demeanor is off-putting in my opinion.

Less emotion and more rational justification for your support of Mrs. Palin is called for.

Sherman1864 on February 19, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Palin supporters on this thread:

Sherman1864 on February 19, 2013 at 2:57 AM

When I think back to what I was called last April when I CORRECTLY predicted the ABYSMAL FAILURE Willard would be, I honestly could care less about YOUR verdict, yet I refuse to to miss any opportunity to prove my point and/or prowess, so…

I can do that!

Sarah Palin Wows CPAC 2012; Proved Her Conservative Relevancy

It was an incredibly impressive showing given that Romney, Gingrich, and Santorum didn’t get near the amount of attention when they spoke on Friday. It also directly went against the narrative that she has become irrelevant within the Republican Party after refusing to run for President and instead becoming a reality television star.

As to what she has done lately:

Sarah Palin to speak at CPAC

“We are pleased to again welcome Governor Sarah Palin to CPAC in March,” ACU Chairman Al Cardenas said in a statement. “Governor Palin electrified the crowd in 2012 and we are thrilled to welcome her back this year.

Game. Set. Match. [and the crowd goes WIILLD!]

I impress even myself some days.

DannoJyd on February 19, 2013 at 3:30 AM

lolz..Rove won big in 2000 and 2004..Lest we forget..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2013 at 2:14 AM

And Newt Gingrich was MAGNIFICENT back in the 90′s, more so than linguini spined House Speaker Boehner has EVER BEEN, but so what?

That was then. This is now! NOW we’ve got Rove being C_L_U_E_L_E_S_S when it comes to how to win elections, or what makes the electorate happy.

I guess you want to run Romney again in 2016 too, right? /s

DannoJyd on February 19, 2013 at 3:43 AM

I am not convinced she is relevant.

Sherman1864 on February 19, 2013 at 2:57 AM

… the anonymous online entity huffed, wholly oblivious to the magisterial irony of it all.

Kent18 on February 19, 2013 at 4:06 AM

DannoJyd on February 19, 2013 at 3:43 AM

No one has said who will run..But it should be interesting..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2013 at 4:41 AM

DannoJyd on February 19, 2013 at 3:30 AM

Thank you, I will happily view the links you were nice enough to provide.

I do not ask that you care about my verdict. That is irrelevant. Why should you care? I agree.

You gave me an opportunity to investigate Palin more carefully and that is what I do care about.

Again, my thanks for the links!

Sherman1864 on February 19, 2013 at 5:17 AM

One more thing….

DannoJyd on February 19, 2013 at 3:30 AM

It appears my cajoling brought out the best in you.

Perhaps we have both learned something useful this evening…

Sherman1864 on February 19, 2013 at 5:24 AM

lolz..Rove won big in 2000 and 2004..Lest we forget..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Bush barely squeaked by (which I think is your point, right?) – remember Florida in 2000 and Ohio in 2004.

steebo77 on February 19, 2013 at 5:49 AM

Maybe we need RINO’s who focus more on defeating the Democrat party than they do on defeating Republicans.

The Democrats have nutcases but it never seems to matter. RINO’s will praise the likes of Ted Kennedy. A man who drove into a creek drunk with a young girl in his car. He left the car, went and basically hid out never calling anyone for help to save his own rear end. The girl drowned. Look it up. It’s all over the internet.. but RINO’s and many Republicans called Ted Kennedy a “friend.” They would never ever consider bringing up Ted Kennedy’s past in a race and if someone did, that Republican would be singled out by RINO’s as an extremist. But let a Christine O’Donnel run and win in a primary and they will actively support the Democrat.

The RINO GOP establishment are nothing but hypocrites. They work harder to support Democrats than they do members of their own party.
What they call embarrassing about certain Republicans they ignore and embrace in Democrats!

How often are RINO’s confronted? I’d love to see Chris Christie confronted about Fast and Furious! Would he find it as reprehensible to sell assault weapons to Mexican drug cartels as he does the NRA ad? Nobody died in the NRA ad but people did die from the guns this administration sold to Mexican drug cartels!

Just one example of the hypocrisy from the RINOs!

JellyToast on February 19, 2013 at 6:41 AM

Just one example of the hypocrisy from the RINOs!

JellyToast on February 19, 2013 at 6:41 AM

Oh come on…if I had a dollar for everytime I heard a TruCon rant and rave about Rinos, I could retire early.

Rove makes a simple statement that makes perfect sense…we need to back people who can win and we have days of people acting silly over it..People need to stop this. On the left they worry about Rubio taking a drink of water, on the right they rant about Rove being a Rino. It is ridiculous.

The man is right. Here in Indiana Freedom Works pretty much abandoned Mourdock after they got him nominated. In truth, I think they knew he could not win the general election. Their real target was Lugar and if that meant the Democrat Joe Donnelly won the Senate seat..then so be it. So maybe rather than talking about how socalled Rinos do not want to take it to the Democrats, people should stop and think about how some people are more interested in purity than victory. Look where that got us in the Hoosier state.

Terrye on February 19, 2013 at 6:49 AM

It’s not that Rove is a RINO. It’s that he’s a destructive influence on the Party. He’s done more to fuel our internecine battles than any single figure. He’s toxic.

Terrye on February 19, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Freedom Works did what they could for Mourdock. It was people like Lugar, Daniels, and Pence that really left Mourdock twisting in the wind.

steebo77 on February 19, 2013 at 7:25 AM

And the fight continues. lol

tommy71 on February 19, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Okay, I’ve had it with the whinybutts who complain about Romney. Where were you whinybutts during the primaries?!?! If you want to blame anybody, blame the candidates that withered and dropped out before the first state even voted. Blame the ones that dropped out before Super Tuesday. It’s hard to put up an alternative to the frontrunner when there’s no viable alternatives left by the time you get to the big-win states like Texas and California.

In fact, let’s blame the people in charge of setting up the primary schedule. This process needs a MAJOR overhaul. But of course we won’t get it, because tradition. :P

TMOverbeck on February 19, 2013 at 7:56 AM

TMOverbeck on February 19, 2013 at 7:56 AM

And because it favors (intentionally or not – YMMV) candidates like Romney.

steebo77 on February 19, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Here’s an idea; how about all Republicans sit down in a room, work this out, agree on a single message and start working together?

That includes people like Levin who should either agree to contribute in a meaningful way or STFU. I am a bit tired of political policy being loudly broadcast by people on the radio who largely contribute nothing but divisiveness, then sit back in their ivory towers and criticize people who do take action. Where I come from that’s called lazy, self-absorbed and self-righteous.

I am not a huge fan of Rove’s idea, but it does have some merit. The man is ultimately trying to help the party. But instead of the party refining the idea or working directly with Rove, they show up in the media to criticize it. Wonderful. That’s exactly what’s wrong with the Republican Party.

Notice how Republican’s have created their own feeding frenzy and detractors like Woodward call Rove’s idea the “Politburo”.

It’s Balkanization and fratricide that’s killing Republicans- not the ideas- which were in the past vetted based on merit, not the face time it would buy your personal assessment on TV or radio.

Marcus Traianus on February 19, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Shorter CINO Online Apologia Choir: “LEAVE ROVE ALOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNE — !!!”

Kent18 on February 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM

What a winning political party sounds like:

I suggest you find a use [for conservatives]. You’ll need them. Politics is about inspiring your base, not bitterly exiling them after they failed to be browbeaten into supporting a lesser evil.

rrpjr on February 18, 2013 at 7:37 PM

What a losing political party sounds like:

whinybutts

TMOverbeck on February 19, 2013 at 7:56 AM

TruCon

Terrye on February 19, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Choose wisely.

Kent18 on February 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM

And, speaking of what the GOP needs more of …

SARAH PALIN to address CPAC 2013!

Go-Sarah-Go!

Pork-Chop on February 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM

GOP?

Mr. Arrogant on February 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM

steebo77 on February 19, 2013 at 5:49 AM

You sound like a Democrat!..Reaching..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

You sound like a Democrat!..Reaching..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Haven’t heard that one before, Smiley..:))))))))))

Dunedainn on February 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Rove is a steaming piece of sh*t. He has divided the GOP between his wing of liberal republicans backed by big money & the bushies and the groundroots conservatives.

Rove never loses, everytime his candidate loses like romneycare recentley, his backers keep refilling his money chest.

He makes his millions, while we, flyover countryy gets higher taxes, obama etc..

The GOP is dead to me till Rove and his ilk, go away. Finally, do you realize that a Bushie was the chief advisor to Hoover in 1928. So for over 80 years the bush family has influenced the GOP. Now a new generaton is ready to take over. Jebby’s kid just moved to a conservative district in texas. Will that family leave!!!!!!

Danielvito on February 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Marcus Traianus on February 19, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Not interested in sitting in a room with establishment Ayatollah hacks that sank this nation when they had complete control of it. Not intersted in “negotiating” with the incompetents that gave us Obama in 2008. Not interested in dealing with LYING SACKS OF SH*T who’ve promised us smaller government for 50 years and yet have expanded government at every opportunity. NOT INTERESTED in supporting people who think that the way forward is to compromise with the Dims.

They had their chance. Why are they still driving this car? Throw ‘em out of the front seat.

Well – the American people have already thrown them out of the driver’s seat. You will not see another establishment RINO elected in this country – the American people are “hip” to the “scam”. Republican grassroots are too. The rest of the party – not so much.

HondaV65 on February 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Rove is an imbecile…Does anyone ever remember the democrat party not backing their candidate??? Even if their candidate was a mother-stabbing, child-molesting, goat impregnator, they never say anything bad about them. NEVER. They close ranks and fight for their candidate. But we have Rove and the Whigs/liberal republicans who decide before the election who is stupid and who they don’t want to vote for or donate money to. When that candidate fails due to lack of money or help, Rove can say they were stupid and couldn’t raise money. What a POS. I remind you all that 2/3 of the people who voted in the republican primary voted for other than the liberal/eastern-republican-backed candidate (the mormon guy) Just once, why can’t the Conservatives/tea party (Not Rove) form a party and have their unofficial primary before the republicans so that when the conservatives get to the republican primary, they kick some ass………

colonelkurtz on February 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM

reason that Romney lost — Obama had a much better ground game.

Count to 10 on February 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM

You’re BOTH correct. And it goes under the same premise that Mitt, in spite of spending hundreds of millions of dollars into two successive presidential campaigns, didn’t possess neither the heart or determination to win. Good luck acting like that while going up a perpetual campaigner.

Because of this, Mitt was unable to properly combat the typical Socialist smears that the Dems and the MSM threw up against him. Compounding THAT problem was his abysmal campaign surrogates, muddied messages, and horrific gaffes (47%, anyone?) which only highlighted severe angst between him and many conservatives. It was a hole even Paul Ryan couldn’t help him get out of, well, whenever Paul was allowed to speak.

But what doomed Mitt from the start was his failure to disavow Romneycare when he gave that infamous speech in May 2011, when, by his own volition, still openly embraced it, and by extension, loosely embraced the concept that his main voting bloc was trying to overturn. (Is it possible that he made that speech under the assumption that the Supreme Court would vote to overturn Obamacare, making the issue moot? I guess, but it’s a stupid, stupid strategy.)

Oh, wait…

It only prompted conservatives to frantically try to find the Not Romney to support, which only prolonged the primary session than was necessary. It hampered Mitt’s campaign and left him, like McCant in 2008, as the nominee by attrition.

And I haven’t even gotten into the infamous Project Orca, which was put in at Mitt’s insistence. Draw your own conclusions.

Myron Falwell on February 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Marcus Traianus on February 19, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Uh, on the Planet Zaloob, it’s possible. In Real-Ville, though… fat chance.

The only way civil war can be prevented in the Republican Party will be if the RINOs and the Establishment cave and openly – and overtly – embrace conservative ideology. And since that’s a near-total impossibility, a schism within the GOP is virtually guaranteed.

Myron Falwell on February 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM

lolz..Rove won big in 2000 and 2004..Lest we forget..:)
Dire Straits on February 19, 2013 at 2:14 AM

steebo77 on February 19, 2013 at 5:49 AM

You sound like a Democrat!..Reaching..:)
Dire Straits on February 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

2000: Bush wins with 271 electoral votes, one more than needed, and loses popular vote by 0.5%. Everything comes down to Florida’s 25 EV.

2004: Bush wins with 286 electoral votes, 16 more than needed, and wins popular vote by 2.4%. Everything comes down to Ohio’s 20 EV.

Compare to Obama’s decisive electoral wins and the fact that he carried the popular vote by 7% and 4% in ’08 and ’12.

To say that Rove won big in 2000 and 2004 is just factually wrong. Seems more like dumb luck.

Add to that the GOP disasters of 2006 and 2008, brought about largely by Rove’s guiding hand, and it becomes clear that Rove is no Great Architect. A little more detail about what led voters to reject Republicans in those years:

Now to the point, the guidance of Rove and his partners led Bush and Congressional Republicans to squander every bit of political capital they had accumulated since 1994.

The handling of Iraq was atrocious, with no one stepping up to offer a proper defense and push back against the media lies and distortions. Rove has admitted his own guilt in this regard.

No Child Left Behind, Medicare Part D, the push for Amnesty, l’Affaire Abramoff, urging Mark Foley to run for reelection — Rove’s fingerprints are all over the place.

steebo77 on February 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM

steebo77 on February 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM

HondaV65 on February 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM

That would be great news… but I’ll believe it when Boneless gets primaried out in Ohio.

TMOverbeck on February 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM

steebo77 on February 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Add to that the abnormalities surrounding the 2002 midterms (1 year after 9/11, the Dems having their “Wellstone” moment) and it’s obvious that Rove’s record really is awful.

Myron Falwell on February 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM

TMOverbeck on February 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Seeing as how BOHICA was just reelected with 100% of the vote – in a SAFE GOP district, no less – that would be somewhere along the lines of a political neutron bomb.

Myron Falwell on February 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM

What the GOP needs less of is ROVE!!

He needs to be found like Amos Wise – to quote the New Riders of the Purple Sage:

“They found Amos Wise in fifteen pieces fifteen miles apart.

Somebody robbed the Glendale train this morning at half past nine.
Somebody robbed the Glendale train, and I swear I ain’t lyin’.
They made clean off with sixteen G’s and left two men lyin’ cold.
Somebody robbed the Glendale train and they made off with the gold”

williamg on February 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Palin supporters on this thread:

I am not convinced she is relevant.

Sherman1864 on February 19, 2013 at 2:57 AM

If 4 years isn’t enough for you, then nothing else would be.
Done with you. We don’t have to prove anything about Sarah Palin, she speaks for herself. Here is something I’ll leave you with:

Gorgeous, gracious gifted Gov. Sarah Palin was, is, and ever shall be the populist princess & conservative queen of American politics. Deal with it, liberals.

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM

On this day in 2009:

Rick Santelli and the “Rant of the Year”

Happy Tea Party Day!

Fallon on February 19, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Long live the Tea Party and long live Sarah Palin!!

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM

steebo77 on February 19, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Don’t forget the help Lugar got from Eric Cantor and the Young Republicans. Cantor should have been brought up on ethic charges for using House money in support of Lugar. This is the kind of RINO backstabbing that goes on.

These RINOS will support a Democrat over a Conservative or Tea Party Candidate every time.

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM

TMOverbeck on February 19, 2013 at 7:56 AM

That would be the head of the RNC, Priebus. I agree the Primary Schedules need changed. I’d like to see an elimination of these Caucuses too.

In 2008, Obama won all of the Caucus States but not the Primaries in those same States. Why? Fraud in the Caucuses.

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Shorter CINO Online Apologia Choir: “LEAVE ROVE ALOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNE — !!!”

Kent18 on February 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM

LOL, pretty loud too! Those that fail to learn from the past, are destined to repeat it. (I think I got that right)

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 2:36 PM

HondaV65 on February 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM

What has the Republican RINOS done for the Country or American people since 2010 when Conservatives and Voters across this land
gave them control of the U.S. House?

Answer: Everything Obama & Reid wanted.

Throw all of the RINOS out!!

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM

colonelkurtz on February 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I don’t know the answer to that, but I like the idea!!!!!!

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM