Rove: The GOP needs more Rand Pauls and fewer Christine O’Donnells

posted at 1:31 pm on February 18, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Karl Rove has been taking a lot of heat over the past few weeks for his new I-swear-this-isn’t-about-smothering-the-Tea-Party PAC-extension, whose mission is to help nominate what they deem to be the most ‘electable’ candidates ahead of the 2014 midterms. Rove again appeared on Fox News on Sunday to defend his new operation’s agenda and try to quell the circulating fears about his suspiciously establishment-shaped ambitions:

Let’s be clear, we did spend $30 million on behalf of Tea Party candidates. … We were the largest outside group supporting Rand Paul. … No, some people associated with the Tea Party — look, Todd Akin was not a Tea Party candidate. … Our object is to avoid having stupid candidates who can’t win general elections, who are undisciplined, can’t raise money, aren’t putting together the support necessary to win the general election campaign — because this money is too difficult to raise to be spending it on the behalf of candidates who have little chance winning in the general election. … The more we examine the quality of these candidates from top to bottom, the more likely we end up with fewer Christine O’Donnells and more Rand Pauls.

In a nutshell, no, this isn’t about quashing the unruly Tea Party, it’s about the Conservative Victory Project playing self-styled Republican-party policeman by more thoroughly vetting potential candidates in the first place.

To which Bob Woodward rejoined, “My last book is going to be called, ‘Some People Never Go Away,’ and Karl’s going to get his own chapter. … So you’re going to set yourself up as a kind of polling hero… The whole theory of Republicanism is to let the local, state, or district decide.” Heh.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

steebo77 on February 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Thanks steebo77. Awesome facts and needed to be posted. Great job!!

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM

HondaV65 on February 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM

That would be great news… but I’ll believe it when Boneless gets primaried out in Ohio.

TMOverbeck on February 19, 2013 at 1:07 PM

The only one that could pull that off would be Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio. He lives very close to Boehner’s home District. Wish I knew what it would cost him to move, I’d start a donation fund!!

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 3:10 PM

…this money is too difficult to raise to be spending it on the behalf of candidates who have little chance winning in the general election.

Well said Rove! Let’s all remember this in 2016 when the Republicans put up a liberal NE Republican or the ever pushed upon us “moderate” Republican with little chance of winning the Presidency.

From Rove’s own mouth, don’t give any money or support to a moderate or liberal NE Republican candidate with little chance of winning the Presidency.

RJL on February 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM

RJL on February 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM

That is awesome. I’m putting that quote in my 2014 Folder since it may come in handy then too. Then as 2016 draws near, will transfer it over to that Folder.

Good info, thanks!!

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM

steebo77 on February 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM

A win is a win where I come from..I would have gladly taken either one of those wins (2000 & 2004) in 2012..Would you not have??!!??..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Dunedainn on February 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM

LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on February 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM

It appears my cajoling brought out the best in you.

Sherman1864 on February 19, 2013 at 5:24 AM

I’m sorry to have to disagree with you again, but if you check out the link to my comments made back in April [May?] and read through the entire topic you will see that I always rise to the challenge, that I never resort to sophomoric name calling, and that I ALWAYS work to present a decent conservative face.

I also do a lot of research to discover the truth, then pass along my results because no one wants to be fooled and/or made a fool of. People really do not appreciate disinformation. That is why most politicians are hated today.

I hope you learn to never trust the liberal media and to begin doing the research needed to discover the truth. The task isn’t all that hard and the results are most rewarding.

DannoJyd on February 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Okay, I’ve had it with the whinybutts who complain about Romney. Where were you whinybutts during the primaries?!?!

TMOverbeck on February 19, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Where do I start? I was at BOTH MIGOP Conventions as an elected and credentialed DELEGATE, I helped open the county MIGOP Victory Center, I placed lawn signs, I’ve lost count of the TEA Party meetings I attended, and I’m STILL working within the MIGOP to assure we get decent leadership.

I ACCURATELY predicted why Romneycare Willard would lose back in APRIL but instead of being one of the bench warming liberal sycophants I made a grand effort all year long.

In closing, I would like to remind the RINO supporters that…

I

TOLD

YA

SO!!!!

DannoJyd on February 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM

TMOverbeck on February 19, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Telling the whinybutt Mittbots that Romney was never going to win in November, 2012.

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Great minds DO think alike.

DannoJyd on February 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Dire Straits on February 19, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Oh, Mr. Smiley. You do such a great job of entertaining us with your childish naivete..:)

Dunedainn on February 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

DannoJyd on February 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Okay, so my cajoling did not bring out the best in you. How drole, “book em Danno O Danno my son”!

HA is aptly named more so than before. I have been a member here for several years and the level of dialogue has declined.

So much so that commenting is almost a pointless act of nihilism.

If you can’t beat em join em.

Shootin the breeze here at least gives one a creative outlet for life’s frustrations.

Know that commenting here does not the least change make to our sorry government and pitiful president.

Anarchy in the UK!

Whatever!

Sherman1864 on February 19, 2013 at 8:39 PM

The other unwelcome trend on HA is the “one step removed from a social network” factor.

Here the bereft may come to find the “friends” they have not even managed to find on such worthies as FB and Twitter.

Pitiful.

I urge more of you and me to read a book or something.

Ah…nothing like a good meltdown to get the blood pumping!

Sherman1864 on February 19, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I urge more of you and me to read a book or something.

Ah…nothing like a good meltdown to get the blood pumping!

Sherman1864 on February 19, 2013 at 8:45 PM

A book is a lovely idea. In fact I’ve been trying to get to the Kindle e-book downloaded about a week ago:-) You’ll be glad to know that some of us do have a life outside of politics:-)

Cheers!

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Pitiful.

I urge more of you and me to read a book or something.

Ah…nothing like a good meltdown to get the blood pumping!

Sherman1864 on February 19, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I love those “I’m on this social network thing to tell all you dorks how I’m cool not to be doing the social network thing” types. They’re hilarious.

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Palin supporters on this thread:

You need to back up your claims of her continued relevance without resorting to childish name-calling…is my final verdict.

I am not convinced she is relevant.

And no matter how relevant she may ultimately be, her faux howdy-doodie demeanor is off-putting in my opinion.

Less emotion and more rational justification for your support of Mrs. Palin is called for.

Sherman1864 on February 19, 2013 at 2:57 AM

The Ignorant and Drones from The Left – like you refuse to see the Truth when it’s in front of them.

That said – Sarah cleaned up the Political Cronyism in Alaska WITHOUT regard to “Party Loyalty” – she had “Constituents Loyalty” motivating her behavior – she believed that her job was actually to PROTECT the People of Alaska. Which it was:

“Governor Murkowski offered other jobs to Palin, and in February 2003, she accepted an appointment to the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, which oversees Alaska’s oil and gas fields for safety and efficiency.[67] While she had little background in the area, she said she wanted to learn more about the oil industry, and was named chair of the commission and ethics supervisor.[1][67][69] By November 2003 she was filing non-public ethics complaints with the state attorney general and the governor against a fellow commission member, Randy Ruedrich, a former petroleum engineer and at the time the chair of the state Republican Party.[67] He was forced to resign in November 2003.[67] Palin resigned in January 2004 and put her protests against Ruedrich’s “lack of ethics” into the public arena[19][67] by filing a public complaint against Ruedrich,[70] who was then fined $12,000. She also joined with Democratic legislator Eric Croft[71] in complaining that Gregg Renkes, then the attorney general of Alaska,[72] had a financial conflict of interest in negotiating a coal exporting trade agreement.[73][74] Renkes also resigned his post.[19][69]”

“Palin frequently broke with the Alaskan Republican establishment.[83][84] For example, she endorsed Parnell’s bid to unseat the state’s longtime at-large U.S. Representative, Don Young,[85] and she publicly challenged then-U.S. Senator Ted Stevens to come clean about the federal investigation into his financial dealings. Shortly before his July 2008 indictment, she held a joint news conference with Stevens, described by The Washington Post as intended to “make clear she had not abandoned him politically.”[75]
Palin promoted the development of oil and natural-gas resources in Alaska, including drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). Proposals to drill for oil in ANWR have occasioned national debate.[86]“

williamg on February 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM

williamg on February 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Oh, don’t waste your energy. This person KNOWS Palin is quite relevant. I don’t have to snark about, say, John Edwards because he is UTTERLY irrelevant.

ddrintn on February 19, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I’ve always loved these comments, so maybe we’ll just wrap this thread up with them.

This is for the haters, from a poster over at Breitbart:

(original author is Dewey Whetsell)

Alaskan Fisherman talks about Sarah Palin

The last 45 of my 66 years I’ve spent in a commercial fishing town in Alaska. I understand Alaska politics but never understood national politics well until this last year. Here’s the breaking point: Neither side of the Palin controversy gets it…It’s not about persona, style, rhetoric, it’s about doing things. Even Palin supporters never mention the things that I’m about to mention here.

1 – Democrats forget when Palin was the Darling of the Democrats, because as soon as Palin took the Governor’s office away from a fellow Republican and tough SOB, Frank Murkowski, she tore into the Republican’s “Corrupt Bastards Club” (CBC) and sent them packing. Many of them are now residing in State housing and wearing orange jump suits. The Democrats reacted by skipping around the yard, throwing confetti and singing “la la la la” (well, you know how they are). Name another governor in this country that has ever done anything similar. But while you’re thinking, I’ll continue.

2 – Now with the CBC gone, there were fewer Alaskan politicians to protect the huge, giant oil companies here. So, she constructed and enacted a new system of splitting the oil profits called “ACES”. Exxon (the biggest corporation in the world) protested and Sarah told them “don’t let the door hit you in the stern on your way out.” They stayed, and Alaska residents went from being merely wealthy to being filthy rich. Of course the other huge international oil companies meekly fell in line. Again, give me the name of any other governor in the country that has done anything similar.

3 – The other thing she did when she walked into the governor’s office is she got the list of State requests for federal funding for projects, known as “pork”. She went through the list, took 85% of them and placed them in the “when hell freezes over” stack. She let locals know that if we need something built, we’ll pay for it ourselves. Maybe she figured she could use the money she got from selling the previous governor’s jet because it was extravagant. Maybe she could use the money she saved by dismissing the governor’s cook (remarking that she could cook for her own family), giving back the State vehicle issued to her, maintaining that she already had a car, and dismissing her State provided security force (never mentioning, I imagine, that she’s packing heat herself). I’m still waiting to hear the names of those other governors.

4 – Now, even with her much-ridiculed “gosh and golly” mannerism, she also managed to put together a totally new approach to getting a natural gas pipeline built which will be the biggest private construction project in the history of North America. No one else could do it although they tried. If that doesn’t impress you, then you’re trying too hard to be unimpressed while
watching her do things like this while baking up a batch of brownies with her other hand.

5- For 30 years, Exxon held a lease to do exploratory drilling at a place called Point Thompson. They made excuses the entire time why they couldn’t start drilling. In truth they were holding it like an investment. No governor for 30 years could make them get started. This summer, she told them she was revoking their lease and kicking them out. They protested and threatened court action. She shrugged and reminded them that she knew the way to the court house. Alaska won again.

6- President Obama wants the nation to be on 25% renewable resources for electricity by 2025. Sarah went to the legislature and submitted her plan for Alaska to be at 50% renewables by 2025. We are already at 25%. I can give you more specifics about things
done, as opposed to style and persona. Everybody wants to be cool, sound cool, and look cool. But that’s just a cover-up. I’m still waiting to hear from liberals the names of other governors who can match what mine has done in two and a half years. I won’t be holding my breath.

By the way, she was content to to return to AK after the national election and go to work, but the haters wouldn’t let her. Now these adolescent screechers are obviously not scuba divers. And no one ever told them what happens when you continually jab and pester a barracuda. Without warning, it will spin around and tear your face off. Shoulda known better.THIS is why Sarah Palin has a lot of support among conservatives for POTUS. She refuses to accept the status quo and the way things have always been done. Our country is at a tipping point and a “go along to get along” Romney type doesn’t have the stuff to change the insider elites and wrest the power from their hands. They are running our country into the ground and also sitting on the sidelines while Obama destroys our country.

karenhasfreedom on April 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM

- – – – – –

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Sherman1864 on February 19, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Typically referred to as “cause and effect.”

Kent18 on February 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Typically referred to as “cause and effect.”

Kent18 on February 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM

:-)

bluefox on February 20, 2013 at 12:55 AM

IMHO, if people cannot take the heat they should stay out of the kitchen, yet so few actually enter the kitchen before they start with their crying. How sad!

Americans used to be made of tougher stuff.

DannoJyd on February 20, 2013 at 2:36 AM

In other news, the Barracuda Brigade is getting some attention on Facebook. :oP

DannoJyd on February 20, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Karl still can’t get over O’Donnell beating his candidate…

Karl sucks…

RockyJ. on February 20, 2013 at 3:15 AM

For the Palin Haters here:

Sarah Palin will speak to conservatives at 2013 CPAC conference in Washington

Given the Romney-Ryan campaign’s abysmal performance in losing all five of the states the candidates had lived or grown up in, it is hard to see how Sarah Palin would have lost any more of the states the 2012 Republican ticket did, while it is very easy to envision her having been a lot more competitive in places like Iowa, Ohio, Florida, and Colorado.

In fact, Sarah Palin and John McCain won more votes in 2008 than Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan did in 2012 against President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden.

Will someone please wake up Allah?

DannoJyd on February 20, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Just once, why can’t the Conservatives/tea party (Not Rove) form a party and have their unofficial primary before the republicans so that when the conservatives get to the republican primary, they kick some ass………

colonelkurtz on February 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Because, unless it actually counts (i.e., is binding), nobody is going to switch from their preferred candidate. For instance, say the conservatives had a straw poll prior to the primaries in 2011/2012. Say that, for instance, Pawlenty won the straw poll.

Do you believe that the Santorum supporters, Cain supporters, Gingrich supporters, Bachman supporters, et al, would have abided by the straw poll and backed Palwenty in the primary? Never would have happened.

The real problem for conservatives is that no solid conservative candidate was running in the primary. Pawlenty was the best option at the beginning, but he lacked charisma or real organization and dropped out early. Perry would have been a solid option, but he got in late and performed disastrously. Bachman, Cain, Santorum, Gingrich et al were never real contenders and would likely have done worse than Mitt in the general election.

We have to realize that conservatives have a fairly weak bench when it comes to potential presidential candidates. Who do we really have? Jindal (solid, but the exorcism thing will hurt him), Palin (many will say she could never win), Jeb (is he really conservative? I see him more as old school republican like GHWB), Rubio (immigration is a big problem, but otherwise seems solid).

Who else do conservatives really have out there that has the background/weight to be a credible presidential candidate? there are a bunch of republicans I would consider potentially good enough that are not conservatives, but not that many solid conservatives.

Monkeytoe on February 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Dunedainn on February 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I am so proud I entertained you..:):)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM

DannoJyd on February 20, 2013 at 3:51 AM

LoLz..The Ron Paul letter..Need I say more..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Monkeytoe on February 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM

And, to follow-up on this, that is not to say that the libs have a strong bench, but that the media will cover for their candidates’ weaknesses. In a just world, in 2008 the media would have torn apart Obama as having no experience and no qualifications for the presidency. The idea that Obama was qualified to be president while Palin was unqualified to be VP – considering that Palin had more actual experience than Obama at that point in time – is so outrageous as to be difficult to understand how the press got away with making the claim. Now, perhaps at that time neither had the experience to be truly qualified to be president, but as the Governor of a state who actually did things instead of voting “present”, certainly Palin had as much or more than Obama had in 2008.

As always, we don’t have the luxury the liberals have. Our candidates have to be able to survive intense and unfair scrutiny of the kind that the left’s candidates will never face. It is not fair or just, but it is reality. So, our candidates have to have the experience and qualifications to be a credible presidential candidate and have to have little to no issues in their pasts.

Monkeytoe on February 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Monkeytoe on February 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Following up again. Which means it is that much harder for conservatives to have a solid bench of potential presidential candidates. To get to the level to be considered to have the requisite experience and qualifications to be a credible presidential candidate as a conservative is a hurdle in and of itself (considering both the media and GOP establishment are not friendly to you), then to have almost no gliches in your background (remembering again, that the same issues in a dem background will not matter). You can’t have a messy divorce, an affair, a DUI, etc., etc.

On the left, they could run someone who never held any office, is unemployed and who dropped out of school in the 10th grade and the press would pretend he was just as qualified as against someone like McCain, who whatever you think of his politics, certainly had the background to be very qualified. In fact, the press would figure out a way to claim the unemployed, drop-out was more qualified than a candidate like McCain.

Monkeytoe on February 20, 2013 at 9:09 AM

The GOP needs more Rand Pauls and fewer Christine O’Donnells.

Carl Rove

We need more of BOTH, Carl.

listens2glenn on February 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Kent18 on February 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Commonly referred to as effect and cause.

Sherman1864 on February 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM

williamg on February 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Oh, look, Mommy! More insults! Waaaaa!!!

You Palin folks are nut jobs!

Go get cracked!

Thank you sir and you may have another.

Sherman1864 on February 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I dislike comments that are longer than most novels. Keep it pithy!

Sherman1864 on February 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Kindle is very good! Still I like paper when possible. There is no substitute for reading, true enough.

Watch out, bluefox! I have a Jack Russell Terrier who hunts them.

Foxes that is!

Sherman1864 on February 20, 2013 at 5:19 PM

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I dislike comments that are longer than most novels. Keep it pithy!

Sherman1864 on February 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I know. You’ll be glad that I didn’t post ALL of her great accomplishments then:-)

bluefox on February 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM

bluefox on February 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Watch out, bluefox! I have a Jack Russell Terrier who hunts them.

Foxes that is!

Sherman1864 on February 20, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I’m sure you’re aware that Amazon have a Kindle App free to download to a PC/Mac etc to download Kindle books. I use that since I don’t have a Kindle. Have a Nook Color, so I switch back & forth. Yes, I like the Hardcovers too and have a selection. Have two on order from Amazon.

Those Terriers are cute. I think our neighbor has one, along with a hound dog believe it or not. I’ll keep that hunting thing in mind:-)

Surprised this thread is still getting comments. Probably will until it goes off front page.

P.S. When I installed that free Kindle App from Amazon, they downloaded free, the following e-books: Pride & Prejudice (Austen);
Treasure Island (Stevenson) and Aesop’s Fables (Townsend)!!

bluefox on February 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM

“The more we examine the quality of these candidates from top to bottom, the more likely we end up with fewer Christine O’Donnells”…

Give it a rest Rove!
You’re sounding more and more like
a cheap imatation of Joe Biden, chump!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on February 21, 2013 at 3:56 AM

LoLz..The Ron Paul letter..Need I say more..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2013 at 8:45 AM

IF you were at all involved in grass roots activities you would KNOW how important that voting constituency is to the Republican Party.

While I have little use for the man we NEEDED those Grass Roots Activists last year, but maybe you are happy with the results from the elections that we once were CERTAIN to win thanks to the issue of 0bamacare.

Well, you go back to gathering those splinters while I, the AWE inspiring Danno Mann works to kick the RINO’s out of the MIGOP leadership roles they hold today.

“One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors”. Plato

DannoJyd on February 21, 2013 at 9:18 AM