Quotes of the day

posted at 10:31 pm on February 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

Sens. Marco Rubio’s and Rand Paul’s delivery of back-to-back rebuttals of President Barack Obama’s speech to Congress — Rubio as the Republican response, Paul as the tea party rejoinder — raises some tantalizing questions:

With Rubio being stamped as the early favorite in the 2016 Republican White House race, is Paul emerging as a leading alternative among tea party faithful and other hard-line conservative activists?

If so, does he risk further fracturing a Republican Party that’s trying to move toward the center and soften its rough edges in the wake of Obama’s decisive re-election three months ago?…

“I like to associate myself with the tea party, but it is a grassroots, ground-up organization,” Paul said. “If I’m asked to provide a label for myself, I usually choose the label ‘constitutional conservative.’”

***

One senior Republican leadership aide gushed with admiration over the freshman senator, emphasizing that he’s been able to tailor his libertarian ideology toward legislation that holds broader appeal. The adviser touted his involvement on right-to-work legislation, his call to audit the Federal Reserve, and even his leadership on legalizing industrial hemp – legislation first pushed by his father, which has now won support from Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

“Rand is somebody who has the generational know-how to turn it into 21st century machine. He gets branding. He understands there’s a need for credibility,” said the adviser. “He understands he doesn’t have the answers to everything. He’s not afraid of input, but is totally confident in listening to input to help achieve his goals.”

One of the areas where he’s taken a lot of feedback is on foreign policy, which critics have tagged as being synonymous with his father’s controversial views. But in a sign that he’s looking beyond just his next re-election, Paul made a high-profile trip to Israel, gave a foreign policy speech to the Heritage Foundation designed to smooth over the rough edges of his foreign policy worldview, and joined most of his Republican colleagues in blocking Hagel. He reached out to Israel supporters, framing his distaste for overseas interventions as one that would prevent the U.S. from putting undue pressure on Israel, getting a jibe at President Obama in the process.

***

David Adams, a Kentucky tea-party activist and former campaign manager for Sen. Rand Paul, remembers a conference call from the 2010 Senate race when the conversation turned to talk of their favorite presidents. Some said George Washington, others Abraham Lincoln. Adams’s pick? “Rand Paul in 2016,” he recalled

Paul’s hoping that his close relationship with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell will pay dividends as he tries to broaden his appeal within the party. He’s given McConnell cover from a tea-party challenge to his right, while McConnell has praised his record and advised him on legislative strategy. It’s a win-win arrangement that gives Paul significant credibility with the establishment as he raises his profile.

“We’ve had, harkening back to the very early days of Rand Paul’s campaign, … a lot of people pushing back very hard until they figured it wasn’t beneficial for them to do that any more,” Adams said.

***

To begin with, his reserved demeanor, less intense and less cloying than the average pol, sets him apart as different. This may strike some (women voters, perhaps, most of all) as cool or remote; however, we learned from President Obama than restraint and reserve have a certain appeal these days, especially with younger voters wary of the glad-handing, used-car salesmen type of politicians…

On immigration, as he said, he’s moved a long way. And he also makes an appeal not to incarcerate non-violent drug users. Al of this, one can imagine, will open up the party’s appeal. Paul is also smart enough not to sound hysterical or defensive about opposition. Unlike the tea party crowd and some right wing bloggers in orbit about Karl Rove’s efforts to find electable Republicans, Paul says simply, “Well, you know, elections are a free marketplace and everybody has a right to participate in primary elections. What I would say is primary elections need not be selected by the party. In my case, and also in Sen. Rubio’s case, the party chose someone else. In Sen. Rubio’s case, they chose someone who is now a Democrat. So, it wasn’t really a very good choice. So, I would say is, let’s have healthy primaries, and if people want to contribute on all sides, let people make voluntary contributions and we’ll see which way it goes. But I think competitive primaries, you end up getting a good candidate, typically.” Paul’s national security views remain a concern for many voters. But the mix of issues — on immigration, drug crimes, and fiscal sobriety — in what he calls a libertarian-conservative viewpoint — will certainly shake up the party. (Unclear is how gay marriage will fit into all this.) Paul is definitely not your run-of-the-mill Republican; how far that will take him remains to be seen.

***

Asked in an interview with The Sunday Times whether he would run for president, Paul, 50, said: “It’s too early to tell but I’ve been fortunate enough to be part of the national debate and I will continue to be.

The Republican party needs a good healthy dose of libertarianism and we also need to figure out something new, because what’s going on is not working.”…

Paul’s formula is a clear shift to “a less aggressive foreign policy, a little more toleration of individual characteristics, toleration of immigration and a less draconian approach to non-violent crime like drug usage”.

His father, he pointed out, came out ahead of Obama in some presidential election polling: “He beat him with an interesting dynamic — loses a third of the Republican vote, gains a third of the Democratic vote and wins the independents. So it’s a sort of third way.”

Asked if this would be the kind of coalition he could try to assemble if he ran nationally, Paul said: “I think so. You have to do something to cobble people together to find a majority.”

***

***

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Oh yeah!!

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Jackie!

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Hiya Ken got you by a second eh? How are you?

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Yep!

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Nice Chrissy!

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Doing pretty well. I trust you are too?

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM

What is Rand Paul’s current position on illegal alien amnesty?

bluegill on February 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM

bluegill on February 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I strongly suggest you read the write up, then come back and ask ok?

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM

He needs to serve a term as Govenor of Kentucky. Might even move down there if he does.

wytshus on February 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Yes I am thank you!

Tigger is a rascally cat! He is quite demanding at times! But oh so lovable :-)

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM

My tribute to George Washington.

George Washington’s Birthday

If ever we need statesmen, it is now. Sometimes the past really does give us the example we need for the future.

INC on February 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM

The 2016 Welterweight Battle Royale?

Rand Paul vs. Rahm Emanuel

Fallon on February 18, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Let me be the first to greet everyone :-)

Good evening all you fine Ladies and Gentlemen!!

I trust everyone had a wonderful day!

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM

why do i get the impression that rand is covering something up?

renalin on February 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM

“… in the wake of Obama’s decisive re-election three months ago?…’

Obowma didn’t run on his record…

Seven Percent Solution on February 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM

IMO it’s pretty sad that when we need to know what real leadership is, no writer at Hot Air took the time to remember George Washington. I couldn’t find any post on him anywhere except for Ed’s brief remark in the Green Room that he was taking the day off.

INC on February 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM

The more I see and read of Rand Paul, the more I like.

Perhaps he will help to restore some faith in the political system!

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I <3 Rand Paul.

Punchenko on February 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Blue Buddha!!!

Bmore on February 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM

What is Rand Paul’s current position on illegal alien amnesty?

bluegill on February 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Throw back the little ones?

steebo77 on February 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM

oops! i forgot its Lent.
let me start again by saying, good evening everyone. i trust everyone had a nice day?

renalin on February 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Rand will have to build a nice and comfortable soundproof room for his addled Daddy…

workingclass artist on February 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Frankly AP, I think the Republican Party is left to center now.

They are not even what you would call moderate. They are passing bill after bill, House and Senate that is certainly not moderate.
Oh, yes they had cover on the Obamacare since their vote wasn’t needed. The Republican Party is worthless. What have they done to stop this Administration and our loss of Freedom? Nothing.

We have perhaps 5 Senators that are helpful. Very few in the House.

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM

INC on February 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I liked that the IT Guy wrote something nice on Ed’s Greenroom thread.

Bmore on February 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Hell, if you want someone with a big ass, vote for me, and I won’t be all wishy-washy like the tubby Rino.

rgranger on February 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM

steebo77 on February 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Perfect!!

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Let me be the first to greet everyone :-)

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Greetigs back atcha, Scrumpy. Sorry, I can’t stay. I had to set off a pest fogger at the Gulch. I’m turning in early, as it takes a while for the smoke to clear.

Have a great evening!

Fallon on February 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I liked that the IT Guy wrote something nice on Ed’s Greenroom thread.

Bmore on February 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I saw that and thought it was great that he put it up. It was a quote from Washington’s Farewell Address, which the Senate reads every single year on Washington’s Birthday, believe it or not.

INC on February 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Is Rand the Obama to Rubio’s Hillary? Hmmm.

Punchenko on February 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Fallon on February 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Ohhhhhhhhhh Take care Fallon!!

Good night and God Bless!!

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

why do i get the impression that rand is covering something up?

renalin on February 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Because you are a Palin-nut. You’re all transparently the same. Attack everyone who is a perceived threat to her (non-) candidacy.

Basilsbest on February 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Rand Paul is not ‘the one’. The GOP does not need a ‘the one’. There’s been enough of that foolishness from the left.

Rand Paul is a politician, just as his father is a politician before him. He was raised in the political class.

I’m of the opinion that he burns with ambition, as evinced by his desire to enter the political field and the overt moves toward a run for the presidency…. much sooner than later.

Those who are driven by an ambition, particularly one nurtured in them since childhood, whether they were aware of that nurturing or not, often lose sight of other important issues in pursuit of fulfilling and satisfying that ambition.

Perhaps Rand Paul can overcome this unfortunate tendency. Perhaps he won’t succumb to the deal making process that subverts those who are elected as our proxy in Washington DC and makes of them a lifelong member of a private political club, the very essence of our current congress. On the other hand, perhaps he will and his values will ‘evolve’, just as Rubio’s have on the issue of immigration, for instance.

thatsafactjack on February 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM

hi all.

CoffeeLover on February 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM

why do i get the impression that rand is covering something up?

renalin on February 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Because you know that, deep down, his allegiance lies with Aqua Buddha?

steebo77 on February 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Hola!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Basilsbest on February 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

and a fine evening to you, former fervid supporter of mitt. Americans just don’t elect short guys for president. don’t blame the messenger.

renalin on February 18, 2013 at 10:53 PM

thatsafactjack on February 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Good evening Jackie!

Points well taken… sadly the truth hurts… hope he doesn’t turn tail…

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Good evening, Scrumpy!

I’m with you… I, too, would love to see a politician actually stand his ground and BE what he says he is, and follow through on the promises he makes, holding fast to his ideals and the wishes of his constituents.

thatsafactjack on February 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM

thatsafactjack on February 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Believe it should he stick to it… until then all I have is some hope he won’t cave :-)

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM

It’s all we can do, Spritely One! :)

thatsafactjack on February 18, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Rand and Rubio are jostling for attention. Lol. But neither will win the nomination. Just showboating early on. Thats kewl.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Basilsbest on February 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM

renalin on February 18, 2013 at 10:53 PM

The non-rebuttal is noted. Romney maximized the GOP vote and he would have been a wonderful President. Unlike you Palinistas, I will support the nominee whoever he is and I will not maliciously attack any contender – as you did Rand tonight.

Basilsbest on February 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:02 PM

At this point I think they both have a shot, but It’s way too early to guess.

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM

On ambition from Matthew Spalding in “The Man Who Would Not Be King”:

And the key ingredient in all of these things was moral character, something that Washington took very seriously and which gave to his decision-making a deeply prudential quality and to his authority an unmatched magnanimity. “His integrity was pure, his justice the most inflexible I have ever known, no motives of interest or consanguinity, of friendship or hatred, being able to bias his decision,” Jefferson later observed. “He was, indeed, in every sense of the words, a wise, a good, and a great man.”

It is no coincidence, then, that Washington’s most important legacy comes during moments of temptation, when the lure of power was before him.

Spalding mentions Washington twice handing power back to Congress during the Revolutionary War, and refusing to be king after the war.

He also writes about the Newburgh Conspiracy when some officers want to use military might to force Congress to pay the army. Alexander Hamilton and other politicians concurred. Spalding described Washington’s reaction:

But Washington would have none of it. “The Army,” he rebuked young Hamilton, “is a dangerous instrument to play with.” Instead, he responded to the unsigned papers calling for the army to stand up against the political leadership, by holding a meeting of his officers for March 15 – the Ides of March – 1783. There, Washington denounced the move as destructive of the very ground of republican government, and expressed his “utmost horror and detestation” of those who would “open the flood Gates of Civil discord, and deluge our rising Empire in Blood.” After the speech, Washington drew a letter from his pocket expressing Congress’ intention to redress the army. He hesitated, pulled out a pair of glasses and remarked, “Gentlemen, you will permit me to put on my spectacles, for I have not only grown gray, but almost blind, in the service of my country.” Many of the officers were in tears. If the speech had not already destroyed the movement, this remark assured its demise.

“On other occasions he had been supported by the exertions of the army and the countenance of his friends,” wrote Capt. Samuel Shaw of the episode, “but in this he stood single and alone.”

That is character—to do the right thing even though you stand alone.

INC on February 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM

This may strike some (women voters, perhaps, most of all) as cool or remote

I thought this might be Peggy Noonan (she’s always reliable for the silly over-dramatic “insights” expressd in throwaway fashion) but it was Jennifer Rubin.

I think Paul has the smarter take on the future with the libertarian angle. This is the opening into the youth vote. The hybrid blend of his politics is increasingly defining him as non-establishment, a huge advantage coming into 2016. He also strikes me as an individual. When I see and hear Rubio I can’t not see “the machine”; something about the tightly-wound, high-achieving valedictorian persona. It could be a real contrast. The GOPe will pull out all stops and turn into a mini-me Left, using Rubio’s race as a club.

rrpjr on February 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Actually, thanks INC. You are right. It’s a good time to remember. Read.

I couldn’t afford a 3 day skiing weekend or $1,000/hr golf lessons, so maybe I’ll go back to basics. Like appreciating our heritage.

wolly4321 on February 18, 2013 at 11:05 PM

His comments on “comprehensive immigration reform” don’t sit well with me. As soon as any politician uses the phrase “we can’t round up 11 million people” they automatically lose credibility on the immigration issue and as a viable conservative candidate.

And I’m sick and tired of the “the gop must support amnesty” meme. The GOP didn’t lose because of immigration reform. It didn’t lose because of the conservative platform. It lost because the media launched a 5 year propaganda campaign that fabricated Obama’s successes, hid his failures and diminished and demonized his opponents. The GOP could have run George Washington with Lincoln as his running mate and still lost to this propaganda machine.

It’s one thing to learn from your mistakes. But you have to know what the mistakes were in order to learn from them. The GOP mistake was not recognizing and countering the state owned media’s propaganda campaign. Migrating to an “ever moving left” center doesn’t address this mistake. Neither does supporting amnesty.

For this conservative, amnesty is a defining issue. I will not support anyone that supports amnesty. Just ask McCain if you don’t believe me.

Give me a candidate that defines immigration reform as implementing a strong “attrition through enforcement” policy and not only will I vote for him/her, I will campaign for that individual.

voiceofreason on February 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Rand Paul is fighting and he’s one of the precious few that are. That’s all I ask right now – FIGHT!

If he’s meant to be the nominee – that will come out in time.

gophergirl on February 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Ken, put up the poll now, lest I forget. :-)

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM

howdy

jrsrigmvr on February 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM

So guess who was on the secret 0bama Spring Break trip?

Jackalope on February 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM

{YAWN!} Let’s see what happens through the 2014 election cycle before we get all fired up about ANY candidate for POTUS.

Let’s see if any of these people can generate enough excitement to get a few people elected. Let’s see who sides with Karl Rove to keep actual conservatives out of office.

For me that WILL be the game changer. AGAIN!

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM

We were wondering the other night about who was the last great Senator. Any thoughts?

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM

wolly4321 on February 18, 2013 at 11:05 PM

You’re welcome. Many times for me looking back in history gives me encouragement to continue. Washington persevered in the bleakest of times. Conservative historians such as Matthew Spalding, David Hackett Fischer and David McCullough speak highly of Washington’s character.

INC on February 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM

On one hand Rand Paul is a budget hawk. On the other, he is pro-amnesty, which will add trillions to the national debt in addition to destroying our national identy, our schools and our hospitals.

I agree with Paul on 85% of his stands, but amnesty is one of the biggest issues of all … and a mistake that can never be undone.

bw222 on February 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM

jrsrigmvr on February 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Good evening, Fred! :)

thatsafactjack on February 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM

So guess who was on the secret 0bama Spring Break trip?

Jackalope on February 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I was wondering about that!!! Ha!

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Yeah, who was the last great Senator? Any picks?

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Basilsbest on February 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I am one of those Palinestas you refer to. I held my nose twice: once when I donated $35 to Mitt and a second time when I voted for him.

bw222 on February 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I am not that familiar with american senators of the past, and currently cannot think of anyone.

No one for your poll, sorry!

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I do like Rand’s accent. I’m a sucker for a southern accent.

gophergirl on February 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM

What is Rand Paul’s current position on illegal alien amnesty?

bluegill

This
about sums it up.

xblade on February 18, 2013 at 11:18 PM

CIR will or will not be implemented this year. IMO, it will happen. By next year, it’ll be forgotten. The next Preezy GE is a way off. By then, CIR will not even be a blip on the radar. All the contenders already know that.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Yeah, who was the last great Senator? Any picks?

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Had he retired around 1976, I would say Barry Goldwater. But, he got so flakey that he couldn’t muster 50% of the vote in 1980, while Reagan received 61% of the vote in Arizona.

A third party candidate enabled Goldwater to win with 48% in 1980.

bw222 on February 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I believe whether we like it or not, one or two or three pols cannot change the winds to blow in our favour.

Amnesty in some shape or form is here to stay, or so my crystal ball says ;-)

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM

@bw222 Excellent pick. Goldwater was special.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM

CIR will or will not be implemented this year.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM

As long as we are going so far out on a limb in making predictions, I will be so bold as to say the Indiana Hoosiers may or may not win the NCAA championship this year.

bw222 on February 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM

bw222 on February 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM

The first senator that I can remember is Charles Percy-and he wasn’t that great.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM

gophergirl on February 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I’ve got a thing for 42 year olds with Texan accents.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM

@bw222 Excellent pick. Goldwater was special.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM

He is the one that comes to my mind. Jim Demint was good..

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM

thatsafactjack on February 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Well said. Unlike the Lefties, most here are too honest to pretend our candidates are perfect and always do what we agree with. All in all, I wouldn’t have a problem pulling the lever for either Rubio or Paul…just don’t like the pandering I see here from some. Their flaws and RINOisms cannot simply be ignored or pushed away with nasty bluster.

bw222 on February 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I felt waaaay better voting for McCain/Palin than Romney for sure. Having the chance to vote for Gov. Palin herself would be just plain awesome!

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM

@alt lol

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Well I’ll go with JC Watts, he was a senator eh?

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM

What a weekend..! “Reggie Love departed AF1 soon after POTUS, apparently a guest for the weekend.”

d1carter on February 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM

We needn’t go to the past, we need look to the trenches in Washington DC, now.

Coburn, Sessions, and Grassley all take very unpopular positions on the issues for the good of the nation and pursue them with vigor and determination. They’ve exhibited real courage.

Look to Coburn on self limiting his terms to two and on uncovering fiscal waste and fraud and telling the truth about out fiscal situation.

Jeff Sessions has stood firm on illegal immigration and has taken a stand for the rule of law.

Grassley has led the way on investigations of ethics violations and on demanding accountability of this White House and administration.

I admire all of these men for their work on our behalf. Are they perfect? No. They are each one eminently human and they are members of that same political class.

thatsafactjack on February 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM

IMO, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Sorry, Rand.

Christien on February 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM

@bw222 Excellent pick. Goldwater was special.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM

But, he got very flakey in his later years in the Senate (and wasn’t that conservative):

1980 Arizona Election Results
Barry Goldwater; 49.5%
Bill Schulz (Democratic) 48.4%
Fred R. Easer (Libertarian) 1.4%
Lorenzo Torrez (People Over Politics) 0.4%
Josefina Otero (Socialist Workers) 0.4%

Reagan (in a three way race) got 61% of the vote in Arizona in 1980. Goldwater saw the writing on the wall and retired in 1986.

bw222 on February 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Rep.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Agree with Jackie I like Coburn…

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Ken, I think that Demint was diminished as he left the Senate. A conservative icon? Yes. A great Senator? Don’t think so.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM

thatsafactjack on February 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Well said, as always. And Good evening to you!

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Yeah I just looked it up, my bad… thanks hon :-)

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Late 1970 was very good for some of us. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Good evening, Ken! Thank you. You’re too kind and generous, as always. :)

thatsafactjack on February 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Well I’ll go with JC Watts, he was a senator eh?

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Julius Caesar Watts never served in the Senate. He also was very complimentary of Obama in 2008. Race trumps all.

bw222 on February 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM

K so let me get this straight; many of you are excited after hearing him talk about putting a coalition together appealing to dems mods and repubs, lots of squishy center stuff? wow, just what we need!

Midas on February 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Agreed.

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM

wytshus on February 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Sadly, that will never happen. Kentucky votes Republican for national office and, unfortunately, Democrat for state positions.

HellCat on February 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Actually I’m going to disagree with you. I think we are too hard on our candidates and expect them to be flawless and agree with all of our positions 100% even though all of us are different. Sometimes I think no candidate ever has the chance of measuring up.

I agree – Rubio and Paul have flaws and are never going to be perfect. In the end, like you, I could pull the lever for both.

gophergirl on February 18, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Rand Paul is ok, for the nonce, and as long as he doesn’t sell out, like all the others did.

thatsafactjack on February 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Dr. Carson…until he sells his soul, hoping that he won’t.

A strong/principled leader is needed badly by the land, if she has even a tiny bit of hope.

——-
Jackalope, he had his true Love with him. His beard was skiing Aspen. It’s the most open secret in DC, while the media feign indignance at “no access to Punk’s golfing”.

Schadenfreude on February 18, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Well I’ll go with JC Watts, he was a senator eh?

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Congressman

Schadenfreude on February 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM

@Jackie Good points. And you were missed. Some of us here in the Glade were worried about you. :-)

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Good evening folks…

SWalker on February 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Hi SWalker

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I nominate tommy for the glade’s spiritual father, uncle, or any title he’d like and Jackie would approve of.

Schadenfreude on February 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM