New Mark Sanford ad for Congress: God believes in second chances, you know

posted at 6:31 pm on February 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

There’s shameless, there’s really shameless, and then there’s a guy touting his credentials on government accountability after he went AWOL as governor to visit his mistress on another continent and initially stuck taxpayers with the bill. Intentionally or not, the fallout from his affair comes off in the ad almost as a credential. We make mistakes, we learn from them, we become better, wiser people for it; he’s a better civil servant now than he was when South Carolina made him governor, I guess. To think, if he gets caught up in one more major scandal, he might end up as presidential timber.

The more I think about this comeback, the more I find that what grates the most is the naked careerism of it. You may remember that Sanford started out as a congressman in the mid-90s; what you may not remember is why he left Congress in 2001. Quote:

Sanford was elected to the U.S. House in the 1994 Republican takeover of the U.S. House based on newt Gingrich’s “Contract With America.” Sanford had not been involved with politics before — he considers himself a “citizen-legislator” — and he had no problem accepting the term-limit item of the Contract With America (many others in the same GOP freshman class DID have trouble with that item, including some who promised to exit and are still in the House!)

Because the Contract With America never did pass Congressional term limits, Sanford describes himself as a “self-limited” House member — he voluntarily restricted himself to three terms. Sanford makes a compelling case that “self-limited” Congressmen really do vote differently than other Congressmen — because they don’t have to worry about getting re-elected, and don’t plan to have a career in the House.

His support for term limits came with a caveat even then: Upon retiring from Congress as a “citizen-legislator,” he wasted no time running for higher office as governor. Had he not ended up “hiking the Appalachian trail,” chances are good that he would have tried to advance from “citizen-governor” to “citizen-president” last year. As it is, faced with the prospect of becoming a — shudder — citizen-citizen again, he’s decided that that fourth term in Congress isn’t such a bad idea after all. Who knows? If his polling rebounds, maybe he’ll term-limit himself again and try to unseat Lindsey Graham as citizen-senator in 2020.

The punchline here is that South Carolina’s GOP House caucus is famously fiscally conservative and frequently votes as a bloc, even if it means defying Boehner and the leadership. It’s true that Sanford’s record on spending is very good, but that’s also true of many, many other Republicans from SC. Yet he’s the favorite to win. Three cheers for name recognition?

Comments

Politics are all he knows how to do…..outside adultry, I mean.

a capella on February 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I thought that only Dems could hose the Latinas and use it as a resume’ enhancer…..

ted c on February 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM

The guy has the personality of a set of sawhorses.

ted c on February 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM

What a bum. Note to Republicans in S.C: Stay far, far, away. Electing this bozo sure isn’t gonna help with ‘Republican re-branding.”

stuckinwisconsin on February 18, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I think he is just afraid of getting a real job. They all are, but especially the ones with no other marketable skills.

keep the change on February 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM

The Republican Slick Willy?

sharrukin on February 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Karl Rove has repeatedly said that his Conservative Victory Project isn’t about electing establishment RINOs. If he wants to take advantage of a legitimate instance for interfering in a GOP primary and kick out an unacceptable candidate, this would be it.

Stoic Patriot on February 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM

The Republican Slick Willy?

sharrukin on February 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM

not even close. The only comparison is that they were both philanderers. I mean, Billy Jeff was such a slick pol that he could diddle 3-4 gals and make the rest of us feel like it was our fault. That’s some skillz. Mark Sanford, OTOH,….. feh–he ain’t got nothin’ on billy jeff.

ted c on February 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM

When i first met Sanford about 2 years before his crack up, I LOVED him. His small government, fiscal sanity policies and principles were perfect. His seemingly unstable personality, on the other hand… not so much. If I were in his state I’d have to think long and hard about his newest bid for office… but granted a Congressman is a far less troublesome position than Gov. would be.

Warner Todd Huston on February 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Paging Karl Rove……we found one for you Karl.

Oh, wait Karl is too busy planning the comeback of the Bush brand and working on the promo of the republican LBJ……Jeb!!!

PappyD61 on February 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM

at least it wasn’t underage prostitutes

Slade73 on February 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM

He oozes something or other doesn’t he? Can’t put my finger on it but you can discount a few important ones.

BL@KBIRD on February 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Mr. Sanford forgets that Jesus said we aren’t to judge people (ie we can’t know their inner hearts before God) he expects us to judge their actions (“by their fruits you will know them”, etc).

IOW, I have no idea the state of Mr. Sanford’s soul and I wish him the best in his personal life. I know that his prior actions, and how he handled their aftermath, means I’m not likely to put my trust in him to handle public office and its responsibilities, anytime soon.

inviolet on February 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Second chances?

Who will give Jenny Sandford and her four children a second chance at the life that Mark Sandford promised them? How will the Sandford children ever have a second chance at childhood with a father who gives a damn and fulfills his obligations to them?

Pork-Chop on February 18, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Just run and win already, but leave God out of it. Please?

22044 on February 18, 2013 at 6:49 PM

The old Prince of Tides defense: Committing adultery actually makes your marriage and your life better in the long run!

Gag.

inviolet on February 18, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Karl Rove, what say you? Will you show you mean what you say and take out Sanford before he jeopardizes other winnable elections?

steebo77 on February 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I’d vote for him

man’s got gall

Slade73 on February 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Hey, Allahpundit!

Where’s our Walking Dead thread? Even Forbes has a TWD thread, why doesn’t HotAir?

Blake on February 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Warner Todd Huston on February 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Pretty much my thoughts. He’d be a reliable vote for our side and his district can deal with him.

22044 on February 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM

LOLOLLOL This is the best we can do….what a joke

Dems Rule

Redford on February 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Wow, comment eaten! All I did was ask for a Walking Dead thread. Who knew it was verboten!

Come on, Allahpundit! Give the people what they want!

Blake on February 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Whoops! There it is!

Blake on February 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM

SANDFORD

Sanford.

Pork-Chop on February 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Come on, Allahpundit! Give the people what they want!

Blake on February 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM

nom nom nom nom the comment monster is here

oh wait, never mind

22044 on February 18, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Come on, Allahpundit! Give the people what they want!

Blake on February 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Never seen a single episode of “Friends” “Sienfeld” or even “The Soprano’s”. Never ever got “hooked” on any TV series. I love TWD!

VegasRick on February 18, 2013 at 6:58 PM

A man without character–the very definition of a politician.

vityas on February 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM

God gives second chances in matters of our eternal destiny, but that doesn’t obligate Him — or us — to redeem a creeper’s political career.

OhioCoastie on February 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM

creepy.

leftists do this all the time, and are beloved by their people for going it (the checks and perks help)

but, can’t SC do better? Fundamentally this is a man without humility. He stayed on as guv despite his party, and now is running again. I think that’s called hubris.

r keller on February 18, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Is he going to bring his chica?

Curtiss on February 18, 2013 at 7:14 PM

VegasRick on February 18, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Dude. I got hooked on 24 and the Sopranos.

ted c on February 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM

New Mark Sanford ad for Congress: God believes in second chances, you know

He does, but that doesn’t mean the voter has to Mr. Sanford.

rukiddingme on February 18, 2013 at 7:18 PM

So I guess this means he couldn’t find a job.

ORconservative on February 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM

This Sanford guy thinks he’s a democrat.

portlandon on February 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM

What’s the big deal? Didn’t we just run Newt Gingrich for president?

Slade73 on February 18, 2013 at 7:30 PM

a) God does not believe in divorce.
b) God believes in repentance.

unclesmrgol on February 18, 2013 at 7:38 PM

c) Repentance requires penance.
d) Penance requires sorrow for sins.

unclesmrgol on February 18, 2013 at 7:39 PM

If God can give people second chances, then why can’t HotAir give us a Walking Dead thread???

Blake on February 18, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Christ, what an @sshole.

Lawdawg86 on February 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Pardon me while I BARF ALL OVER MY SCREEN!

Splashman on February 18, 2013 at 7:54 PM

What’s the big deal? Didn’t we just run Newt Gingrich for president?

Slade73 on February 18, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Anybody can run; that’s their decision, not ours. What matters is how we vote. Perhaps you voted for Gingrich, but no, we didn’t.

Splashman on February 18, 2013 at 7:57 PM

But, does God vote?

Fallon on February 18, 2013 at 7:57 PM

A man without character–the very definition of a politician.

vityas on February 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Yup. If he were a Dem, he’d be a shoe-in. But as a Repub, he’ll be crucified. And I’ll be munching popcorn as the nails are pounded in.

Splashman on February 18, 2013 at 8:01 PM

VegasRick on February 18, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I thought Sanford was The Walking Dead.

Anyway, you should give Last Man Standing a try. Tim Allen plays the only conservative character on the MSM.

HellCat on February 18, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I prefer Fred Sanford.

somewhatconcerned on February 18, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Hey MR ROVE – can you take care of this one please? Make yourself useful for a change.

poppieseeds on February 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Keep eating each other. Democrats can bang underage offshore whores, send pictures of their private parts, and have mistresses by the score, and they will circle their partisan wagons around each other any day. Maybe, just maybe, it’s about time we learn something?

Archivarix on February 18, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Just one more dumb a$$ hypocritical christian pol.

Bandit13 on February 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Second chances are all about repentance. You get a second chance when you drop your mistress and go back to your wife.

Pilgrimsarbour on February 18, 2013 at 8:39 PM

That would be a good thing.

Do not know what you are trying to get at but you failed.

It makes me wonder if you just do not like Mark because he is conservative and he actually kept his word not to run for a fourth term and did not turn RINO.

You could not stomach attacking him for his affair now engagement to woman who wrecked his marriage so this attack.

Do not like this ad it could backfire but this is very early. His conservative record should get him this office though and probably will.

Plenty of men have done what he did.

Steveangell on February 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Too bad the two Carolinas can’t combine their electoral jurisdictions. America really needs a Mark Sanford vs. John Edwards political race.

jon1979 on February 18, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Pilgrimsarbour on February 18, 2013 at 8:39 PM

You could define repentance as him re marrying his ex.

Most would define it as admitting what you did was wrong and asking for forgiveness. Having some time go by.

We do not live under Old Tesatment rules. If you will not forgive him that sin is on you. Judge not that ye be not judged.

Newt had done this before he became Speaker of the House BTW again after.

Steveangell on February 18, 2013 at 8:52 PM

To me it’s not so much that he had an affair, it’s that he wasn’t honorable enough to be honest about it…not to his wife, his children, or even the office he was entrusted with. He lied and lied and lied until he was forced to tell the truth. He deserves a second chance, but not representing the people. You only get one of those. But it doesn’t matter what I think, he will probably win with no problem.

scalleywag on February 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM

As it is, faced with the prospect of becoming a — shudder — citizen-citizen again…

It’s for things like this that I especially love the Allahpundit!

Tzetzes on February 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Just run and win already, but leave God out of it. Please?

22044 on February 18, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I agree. His relationship with his God has nothing to do with his political decision. He should know that God has qualifications for Deacons/Pastors too. No Divorced men. “Husband of ONE wife” as I recall.

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:24 PM

By the way, God ALSO believes that you shouldn’t lie and that you should be faithful to your spouse, so I really loathe politicians who start spouting Gods words to defend themselves. Go away, you cad.

scalleywag on February 18, 2013 at 9:26 PM

But, does God vote?

Fallon on February 18, 2013 at 7:57 PM

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Keep looking for that mythical creature AP…personally i think you’re bound to find the unicorn before you find the perfect politician.

MechEng5by5 on February 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM

MechEng5by5 on February 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Indeed.

All men sin and fall short of the Glory of GOD.

Men lie but he has come clean. It cost him his Marriage and his job as Governor and his reputation. It is not like he has gotten off scott free. Rep is a step backwards.

Steveangell on February 18, 2013 at 9:43 PM

New Mark Sanford ad for Congress: God believes in second chances, you know

I hope he’s not so arrogant as to think God is recommending him to that House seat.

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Of course not. This is early he is asking forgiveness as he should be.

Steveangell on February 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Who all is running for that seat? Does anyone know?

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Of course not. This is early he is asking forgiveness as he should be.

Steveangell on February 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM

So, he’ll be bringing his girlfriend with him and still not married. We’ll see if S.C. approves of that. I’m very interested in who put this idea in his head and who is backing him. What else might there be that he could be blackmailed with? He may want to run on the DEM ticket.

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I say give him another chance. He at least governs as a conservative. Besides, voters gave Obama a second chance!/sarc.

From what I read his marriage was more like a business arrangement.
He wasn’t always catting around…you know, a player like the
Kennedys or Bathhouse Barry; who was the guy who was rooming with a male prostitute?, etc.
etc. It sounds like he fell in love. It happens.

And for those who are upset because he “lied” about his affair
to his lt. governor or staff, pleeeeeeeeeeeeease! You thought
he should tell them; perhaps even before his wife found out?

I feel sorry for the children. However, if he rehabs his
political career, that might be a nice boost for them. My opinion is that he is very sorry for all that happened. Give him a break.

Besides that, let he/she who is without sin cast the first stone.

I wish him and his family well.

Amjean on February 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I love Mark Sanford’s fiscal discipline. His social ideals don’t bother me, but I am 97.24% sure they will bother the vast majority of GOP primary voters in South Carolina.

SouthernGent on February 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Does Jenny letting him remain in one piece count as a second chance? He is asking for a third chance. If he cannot leverage his contacts and influence to find a different line of work, then he doesn’t have what it takes to hold public office, either, IMO.

Christien on February 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM

This Sanford guy thinks he’s a democrat.

portlandon on February 18, 2013 at 7:26 PM

In which case he’d get promoted and it wouldn’t be news.

Schadenfreude on February 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Will he bring his Argentine putita to Washington with him?

NealK on February 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Wouldn’t be a bit surprised if he won…

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Hasn’t his ex-wife promised to ensure this doesn’t happen? I have a feeling if she ran she’d kill him (politically).

Marcus on February 19, 2013 at 12:03 AM

God believes in second chances, you know

Brings to mind the lyrics from a Lyle Lovett song;

God does, but I don’t. God will but I won’t, and that’s the difference between God and me.

rogaineguy on February 19, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I see that Red State is touting forgiveness for the guy. My first response to that bit of vapid nonsense was are you sh*tting me?, which was also every other response that I had.

Look, I know that the Dems will continue to support pedophiles, rapists, serial adulterers and good swimmers with bad driving records. However, that doesn’t mean that we have to do the same.

Physics Geek on February 19, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Please. God. No. Go away Sanford and don’t let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya.

College Prof on February 19, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Who all is running for that seat? Does anyone know?

bluefox on February 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Ted Turner’s son, an econ teacher, is in the race.

blammm on February 19, 2013 at 9:26 AM

steebo77 on February 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM

That was my first thought as well. Isn’t it ‘put-up or shut-up’ time for Rove?

Mark Sanford is a DISGRACE to the Republican Party. It’s bad enough that he betrayed his own family, but then to simply disappear from his post, to make up some ridiculous LIE about where he was, and to use taxpayer money for doing his dirt… it’s not as “forgivable” as he seems to think it should be. Not in political terms anyway. His actions reflected poorly on us all. He’s a “family values” hypocrite, a bludgeon for the left to use on better men and women.

Let’s see where Rove falls out on this. We’ll see if it’s REALLY just about putting butts in seats or if there’s going to be any actual integrity involved.

Murf76 on February 19, 2013 at 10:03 AM

SouthernGent on February 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Even if he was to succeed with South Carolina voters, he’d be hurting GOP candidates in other states and other races by smearing the brand. This guy plays right into the left’s hands… another “family values” hypocrite who says one thing and then does another.

The GOP needs to rebuild TRUST with the American people. Not just with South Carolinians, but with all of us. We need people who can both articulate and exemplify our integrity and our commitment to Republican principles. And Mark Sanford has proved beyond a shadow of doubt that he can’t.

Murf76 on February 19, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Tell me again why we need to vote for an R who sounds a little too much like Menendez, Kennedy(pick one)or Weiner to be one of our leaders. I don’t care how nice he is or that he thinks God has forgiven him. That doesn’t mean he’s entitled to someone voting for him. Is he still with the girlfriend from SA or has he been unfaithful to her as well? She was supposed to be his soul mate. And some people called SP a quitter.

Kissmygrits on February 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Wrong, wrong, and damned wrong…Sanford was known for his FISCAL SANITY! It’s what he ran on, it’s what he did while in office and I’d argue there are few to nil that stuck to their guns on spending better than him.

So many uninformed, knee-jerking hypocrites in our ranks!!!

MechEng5by5 on February 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Sorry, but Sanford has only himself to blame. If the guy was defined by “fiscal sanity” as you say… he wouldn’t have attempted to make taxpayers to fund his trysts. The guy had a chance to prove what his priorities are… and his priorities are apparently in his PANTS.

Murf76 on February 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM