Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on February 17, 2013 by Allahpundit

A draft of a White House immigration proposal obtained by USA TODAY would allow illegal immigrants to become legal permanent residents within eight years

According to the White House draft, people would need to pass a criminal background check, submit biometric information and pay fees to qualify for the new visa. If approved, they would be allowed to legally reside in the U.S. for four years, work and leave the country for short periods of time. After the four years, they could then reapply for an extension…

The immigrants could then apply for legal permanent residence, commonly known as a green card, within eight years if they learn English and “the history and government of the United States” and pay back taxes. That would then clear the path for them to apply for U.S. citizenship…

The draft obtained by USA TODAY does not include sections that would alter the nation’s legal immigration system to adjust the future flow of legal immigrants, which is expected to be a critical component of any immigration overhaul.

***

U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) issued the following statement regarding new details about President Obama’s immigration plan, as first reported by USA Today:

“It’s a mistake for the White House to draft immigration legislation without seeking input from Republican members of Congress. President Obama’s leaked immigration proposal is disappointing to those of us working on a serious solution. The President’s bill repeats the failures of past legislation. It fails to follow through on previously broken promises to secure our borders, creates a special pathway that puts those who broke our immigration laws at an advantage over those who chose to do things the right way and come here legally, and does nothing to address guest workers or future flow, which serious immigration experts agree is critical to preventing future influxes of illegal immigrants.

“Much like the President’s self-described ‘stop gap’ Deferred Action measure last year, this legislation is half-baked and seriously flawed. It would actually make our immigration problems worse, and would further undermine the American people’s confidence in Washington’s ability to enforce our immigration laws and reform our broken immigration system.

“If actually proposed, the President’s bill would be dead on arrival in Congress, leaving us with unsecured borders and a broken legal immigration system for years to come.”

***

“This is the president torpedoing his own plan. It shows me that he’s really not serious,” Mr. Paul, Kentucky Republican, said on “Fox News Sunday.”

“There are many people who think Democrats bring up these ideas as wedge issues, they don’t really ever want to pass them because then they would no longer have the Republicans to blame. They set themselves up for failure by putting something up there that’s untenable.

“It seems to me to show that really the president doesn’t want immigration reform.”

***

This morning, Representative Paul Ryan had no kind words for the president’s proposed immigration legislation and the White House’s decision to leak it yesterday. He explained that “leaking this out sets things in the wrong direction,” “makes [immigration reform] that much more difficult.”

The congressman laid out his criticism in blunt terms, saying that the question from the beginning on this immigration debate has been, “Is the president looking for partisan advantage, or a bipartisan law?” The White House’s release of its own plan at this time, Ryan said, is a clear indication that the president is doing the former, “looking for partisan advantage,” which is “counterproductive” for actual efforts to reform the U.S. immigration system.

***

Schumer, a New York Democrat and a close ally to the White House, said he has not seen the draft proposals but, along with the Democrats working on a compromise, met with Obama this week to talk about progress being made on Capitol Hill. Schumer acknowledged that a single-party proposal would have a much more difficult time becoming law and urged the bipartisan group of senators to keep meeting to find common ground.

“I am very hopeful that in March we will have a bipartisan bill,” Schumer said. “And, you know, it’s obvious if a Democrat — the president or anyone else — puts out what they want on their own, (it) is going to be different than when you have a bipartisan agreement. But the only way we’re going to get something done is with a bipartisan agreement.”

***

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Denis McDonough, the president’s top White House official, said Mr. Obama’s aides are continuing to work with a bipartisan group of senators despite harsh criticism Saturday night from a key Republican after a newspaper reported what it said were details of the administration’s immigration plan.

“We’ve not proposed anything to Capitol Hill yet,” Mr. McDonough said on ABC’s “This Week” in his first appearance as chief of staff. “We’re just going to be ready. We have developed each of these proposals so we have them in a position so that we can succeed.”…

“He says it’s dead on arrival if proposed?” Mr. McDonough said of Mr. Rubio’s comments. “Well, let’s make sure that it doesn’t have to be proposed, let’s make sure that that group up there, the gang of eight, makes some good progress on these efforts, as much as they say they want to. That’s exactly what we intend to do, to work with them.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

hillbillyjim on February 18, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Bristol TN..Thunder Valley..:):)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Ok! Yeah, that is exactly what she sounds like! I’m good with that!

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 1:55 AM

SparkPlug on February 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Amen..:)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 1:56 AM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 1:52 AM

No, not really trying to find somthing tho lol…

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Axe atleast put in an appearance. What happened to Jackie? She went offline abruptly last night, and hasn’t come on tonight. Hope shes ok. SW and 4Grace are MIA.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I was born in this town:

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM

You process data automatically and have great attention to detail. Makes me curious about what your area of expertise is. I don’t recall you saying, at least while I was here. I am intrigued.

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Yep. They are prolly at a retreat recharging their batteries. Like one of those Die-Hard retreats sponsored by Sears.

SparkPlug on February 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Very nice! People can’t drive though. Wrong side…never mind. Lame joke.

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM

I love me some bluegrass, especially when it’s live.

There’s nothing like Alison Krauss & Union Station.

Try ‘em both. Alison’s voice is just flat-out haunting, and the rest of the band ain’t shabby either.

hillbillyjim on February 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Ken, I’m like the jack of all trades and the master of none. :-) I’m into both marketing and administration across a spectrum of industries and services.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:08 AM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Well, that clears that up! ;-)

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Lol

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Ken, seriously, what I stated was the truth. I never went in for specialization. How bout you? What do you do for a living?

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:12 AM

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM

True that!

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 2:13 AM

“I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is “needed” before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents’ “interests,” I shall reply that I was informed that their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can.”
― Barry Goldwater

We didn’t do our little poll tonight, but..Just sayin’…

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Cripes, I forgot. Tomorrow night for sure.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:17 AM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Worked shipboard electronics all my life. Relocated to land locked Austin 18 months ago. Still transitioning.

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Song about the town I grew up in ;-)

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Cripes, I forgot. Tomorrow night for sure.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Was a nice quote though. yes?

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:19 AM

@Scrumpy I drive on either side of the road, depending on the country I’m in. When I’m in some asian countries, I do as the Brits do. :-) I’m comfortable either way, thank God. And I meant driving. ;-)

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Nice!

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:22 AM

hillbillyjim on February 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM

+ 100..Alison Krauss and her band are outstanding..:)

PS..Beautiful voice..:)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Ken, excellent quote. Very true. Shipboard electronics. Thats something I have zero knowledge about. And I usually have atleast a teensy weensy bit of knowledge bout most stuff. Very interesting.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:25 AM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Hard to believe that Hillary worked for Goldwater’s campaign.

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:26 AM

A’righttttyyyy then!

That’s enough chit chat from me for one night!!

Time for me to say Good Night and God Bless you all!!!

Good night and God Bless!! {hugs}

*Swoosh*

Scrumpy on February 18, 2013 at 2:28 AM

She did? Strange. Lol

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Nite, Scrumpy. Sleep well, dear.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:29 AM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Did my Apprenticeship at Norfolk Naval Shipyard. Worked on anti-aircraft missile systems and Inertial Navigation for Submarines.

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Sleep well Chrissy.

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Wow, Ken. Thats kewl, dude. Do you miss that phase of your life? You did mention that you’re transitioning.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Yes. I have no real contacts here, but I’m doing ok. Austin is awesome. Just have to be patient. At least I’m not in Detroit!

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Ha, Detroit is a hellhole. If you don’t mind me asking, married? Kids? Just that transitioning is easier if you’re single. I’m single but at the age of 42, looking to get hitched. Maybe even too old to be hitched. ;-)

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:41 AM

Looks like it’s down to you and me Tommy. Gonna call it. Enjoyed hanging with you. See you tomorrow.

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Nite, Ken. Sleep well, dude. :-)

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:43 AM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:41 AM

50, Divorced. 2 kids, three grandkids. Moved to TX to reunite with post HS girlfriend. Cliff’s notes for you.

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:44 AM

:-) kewl. Thanks. Nite, Ken.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:46 AM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Tomorrow..

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Good morning post to the awesome morning crew!

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 3:01 AM

B9 ;-)

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 3:01 AM

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Yo Ken. I tried install an 8 track player in the glade airship kerfuffle.

Unsuprisingly it didn’t work. This would be simple for you to fix since you did complicated stuff on big ships.

SparkPlug on February 18, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Everybody loves B9. She will prolly be here when I start toasting waffles.

SparkPlug on February 18, 2013 at 3:18 AM

SparkPlug on February 18, 2013 at 3:14 AM

No sweat. You do have 8 tracks??

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Crashing Sparky! See you this morning!

KCB on February 18, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Monday Morning!

dear leader wants to screw up this immigration bill so that he can have something to bash gop for a dem house takeover in 2014…

it’s all politics, and the latinos think he’s for real….

*shaking the head*

cmsinaz on February 18, 2013 at 5:35 AM

morning joe will probably be praising gregory for going after mccain and benghazi
‘why are the gop going on about benghazi, it’s so 2012, get over it’

just infuriates me, that if this craploa fell under a gop president, talks of impeachment or he would have never won re-election, the lsm would have crucified him…

and now they’ll be defending him on this immigration bill for the next 24 hours, isn’t it aweseom because we know the gop will just be obstructionists…

where’s my coffee???

cmsinaz on February 18, 2013 at 5:42 AM

ahhh, mj crew going after lindsay graham instead…my bad

cmsinaz on February 18, 2013 at 6:09 AM

…and ted cruz…he’s ruining the future of the gop…oh noooooo

cmsinaz on February 18, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Mornin’, Mizz c.

Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses…yearning to come here and get Government Benefits? My take.

kingsjester on February 18, 2013 at 6:39 AM

kingsjester on February 18, 2013 at 6:39 AM

morning KJ…another great take brother

papers? heh

cmsinaz on February 18, 2013 at 6:50 AM

b99999999999……………………..

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 6:51 AM

And looks like the am crew is in. Top of the mornin to y’all. :-)

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 6:53 AM

cmsinaz on February 18, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Thank you, ma’am!

kingsjester on February 18, 2013 at 6:57 AM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 6:53 AM

morning tommy

cmsinaz on February 18, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Good lord people. Sometimes this site drives me crazy. If guys like Jindal can’t even be acceptable to the purity test the purity test is broken.
And “establishment” is now beyond cliche.
MikeknaJ on February 18, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Well said.

bluegill on February 18, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Links aren’t working.

bluegill on February 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Whoops, scratch that. They are working.

bluegill on February 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Mornin’, Mizz c.
kingsjester on February 18, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Great take, KJ!

bluegill on February 18, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Is anyone else upset about all the “Mindy McCready, the poor dear, wasn’t she great?” reactions, as shown on Twitchy now? Any mother with young children who kills herself is pure, selfish evil, and I hope she rots in hell. What a horrible thing to do to your children! That is the lowest.

bluegill on February 18, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Ted Turner and Jane Fondas son, teddy is running in a REPUBLICAN primary in S.C? Unbelievable. And hes trashing his parents for their liberalism. I really don’t know how to feel about this. Its perplexing.

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 8:16 AM

tommy71 on February 18, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Hmmm…

“Yes, I’m Teddy Turner. You can’t pick your parents,” he introduced himself to a Republican gathering at Hilton Head Island recently, acknowledging up front what everyone in the room was thinking.

Fallon on February 18, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Gas prices rise 32 days straight…
Increase 51 cents in 2 months…
Up 96% under Obama…

Here in Ga. Diesel has gone from $3.75 to $4.20 in the last three weeks.

Bmore on February 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Gas prices are killing me. Not one single word from the White House media.

tom daschle concerned on February 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM