Concerned citizens rally in support of … Dorner?

posted at 11:01 am on February 17, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

I first expressed some concerns over this growing meme one week ago, and MK Hammer found it cropping up in other places a few days later. Now it’s apparently spilling out into the streets of California, as people attempt to make the recently expired cop killer Christopher Dorner into some sort of martyr / hero.

Dozens of protesters rallied outside Los Angeles police headquarters Saturday in support of Christopher Dorner, the former LAPD officer and suspected killer of four who died after a shootout and fire this week at a mountain cabin following one of the biggest manhunts in recent memory.

Protesters told the Los Angeles Times they didn’t support Dorner’s deadly methods, but objected to police corruption and brutality, and believed Dorner’s claims of racism and unfair treatment by the department. Many said they were angered by the conduct of the manhunt that led to Dorner’s death and injuries to innocent bystanders who were mistaken for him.

Michael Nam, 30, who held a sign with a flaming tombstone and the inscription “RIP Habeas Corpus,” said it was “pretty obvious” police had no intention of bringing Dorner in alive.

I suppose it’s nice that the protesters would take the time to specify that they’re not actually supporting murdering your former employers and colleagues, but that’s a pretty soft sell in light of what transpired. That comment about not having any intention of bringing Dorner in alive was another common theme, and one which I saw reflected in my Twitter timeline many times through the final couple of days of the manhunt. It’s also one of the ones that I find the most confounding. The idea that law enforcement officials were somehow “hunting down” Dorner with the specific intention of killing him should be obviously preposterous on its face. At any point in this saga, Dorner could have put down his weapons and walked into a police station with his hands up and he’d have been taken into custody without further incident. But by the same token, the police weren’t going to blindly wander around while searching for someone who had already shot several of their fellow officers without being prepared for the worst.

Still, the latest group of protesters wanted to get their message out there.

Signs expressed anger at police and support for Dorner.

“If you’re not enraged, you’re not paying attention,” one sign read.

“Why couldn’t we hear his side?”

“Clear his name! Christopher Dorner”

Liliana Alaniz, 40, came with her family -– her mother, sister, nieces and daughters -– from Long Beach to join the protest, which she said was her first.

“I really, really believe he was innocent in the firing case,” Alaniz said of Dorner.

Alaniz held a sign that read, “Trying to clear your name.”

Her daughter, Andrea Tovar, said Dorner “has his supporters.”

If you have complaints with the methods and potential abuses of the police department, bring them forward in the press and in the courts. Showing up as a “supporter” of somebody who is running around shooting cops isn’t helping anyone.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Google would quickly get you the references.

Steveangell on February 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Google was the third-largest contributor to Barack O’bama’s campaign in 2012. The same Dear Leader who Dorner praised. So they can’t really be considered an impartial search engine, especially since Dear Leader’s puppeteers relied extensively on Google data-mining to help get him re-elected by an even larger number of high school dropouts than voted for him in 2008.

Del Dolemonte on February 17, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Based on the video we saw of the building Dorner was holed up in before the fire (KTLA in LA showed it) it wasn’t exactly a tiny structure.

What proof do you have that the cops intentionally blocked every possible escape route from the building? Oh, that’s right. None.

I can see why you voted for Dear Leader.

Del Dolemonte on February 17, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I believe the cops told the truth when they were talking about burning him out.

I believe they lied about the cause of the fire.

Fact is they burned him out accident or not.

They should be fired for planing to burn him out. If they actually did it a Jury should decide on the facts and hear proof.

My complaint is it is far from obvious that did nothing wrong. Contrary to what this article stated. I need not prove that just provide an argument. I believe I have done that.

I did not vote for a Dear Leader Obama or Romney each would have become a Dear Leader IMHO.

Steveangell on February 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Del Dolemonte on February 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Arsonist tool of choice. Though Gasoline would generally be substituted with a different flammable liquid but not trying to help arsonist.

Steveangell on February 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM

So Dorner was denied Due Process, but the cops are automatically “arsonists” without a trial?

Just exactly when do the triple moons rise on your world?

Del Dolemonte on February 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Steveangell on February 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM

You epitomise LoInFo.

Resist We Much on February 17, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Del Dolemonte on February 17, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I believe the cops told the truth when they were talking about burning him out.

I believe they lied about the cause of the fire.

Fact is they burned him out accident or not.

Steveangell on February 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM

OK, I am going to respond in Special English. You old shortwave listeners of the Voice of America will know what I mean.

My response to your first sentence: You are basing your belief on a couple of youtube videos of “police audio”, which were posted on youtube by assorted conspiracy theorists (see my posts about this earlier in this thread, unless you are too intellectually lazy to do so). You have absolutely no proof that these transmissions came from the actual scene of the final confrontation, and have absolutely no proof that they are authentic. As I noted earlier in this thread, tactical (“important”) police radio is always encrypted, so can never be decoded or recorded (doing so is a c crime). The fact that these transmissions were not encrypted is ample evidence that they did not come from the immediate scene.

My response to your second claim: you are putting the burden of proof on the accused. That’s not the way things work here on Planet Earth.

And as to your third sentence, you still haven’t proved that they “planed” to burn him out. Please do so.

Del Dolemonte on February 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Steveangell on February 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Who cares if they burned him out as you are suggesting?

They were trying to blow his head off with rifles. If they used fire to drive him out of that cabin and he died as a result, it amounts to exactly the same thing.

sharrukin on February 17, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Del Dolemonte on February 17, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Indeed.

I so wish there were a real alternative.

Steveangell on February 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM

A dozen trained guys with actual assault rifles and light body armor could cut power and water and hang around a day or two. He wasn’t going anywhere.

S. D. on February 17, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Armchair general.

unclesmrgol on February 18, 2013 at 2:56 AM

He cleared his name in the moment he put a bullet into his own head. Guilty as charged, sir, guilty as charged.

unclesmrgol on February 18, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Those that want the LAPD charged with the fire….what about the ATF and the big fire at Waco?

Can’t have it both ways.

Put down your Obama phone and let’s go try to find a job today.

adplusone on February 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Gee, I wonder who these people voted for.

MPan on February 18, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I don’t care that much about what happened in the fire fight, but I want to know why the LAPD was going around shooting at innocent people who just happened to be driving pick up trucks.

DFCtomm on February 18, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Then you have a POINTLESS question, becsue that WASN’T the LAPD. It was the Torrance PD….if we are going to complain about the Poe-Leese could we at least complain about the RIGHT Poe-Leese?

JFKY on February 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM

DFCtomm on February 18, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Everyone wants to know that. Wanting to know why the police have not been trained to never shoot unless they are absolutely certain they are not shooting at innocents has nothing to do with defending Dorner.

It’s just too bad Dorner didn’t burn to death.

We can only hope the subhuman scum that ‘thinks’ (subhuman scum doesn’t actually think) the police did something bad by cornering the rabid rat and burning it out of its hole will someday find themselves facing the business end of a gun held by a loathsome animal like Dorner.

fadetogray on February 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM

JFKY on February 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Hysterical deflection is funny.

DFCtomm on February 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM

fadetogray on February 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM

That’s it huh? Any restraint morphs into asking the police to never fire their weapons? You’re just going to zoom all the way up to never. You’re funny too.

DFCtomm on February 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I would have preferred the police deliberately targeting Dorner for death–as they certainly would have done at time before 1960 in this country. An occasional bit of rough justice didn’t end human rights in America. I tried of all the hysterics about law paralyzing the law and justice.

thuja on February 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM

There are 1.3 million abortions (murdered innocent human beings) per year in the U.S. and 43 million worldwide. These numbers are per year.

And yet, people want to take to the streets or blog here on behalf of Dorner to claim he is a victim; even though what he did was through his own actions?

Our society is getting sicker and sicker.

Cherokee on February 18, 2013 at 9:40 AM

DFCtomm on February 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM

How amusing. I was obviously not speaking of epistemological certainty. If it bothers you, consider yourself free to remove the word ‘absolutely’ from my comment.

Nevertheless, nice dodging of the point of my comment.

fadetogray on February 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

We don’t support what he did!!!! ….we just support a guy who’s mainly known for doing the things he did.

Axeman on February 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I believe the cops told the truth when they were talking about burning him out.

I believe they lied about the cause of the fire.

Fact is they burned him out accident or not.

Steveangell on February 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Living out here in SOCAL and having personally gone through the Charles Manson, SLA, Night Stalker and OJ fiascos:

IF YOU ARE A BAD GUY AND YOU’VE KILLED PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY COPS: WHEN THEY HAVE YOU SURROUNDED, SURRENDER IMMEDIATELY.

IF YOU DON’T, YOU PROBABLY WON’T LEAVE THE BUILDING UNDER YOUR OWN POWER. YOUR CHOICE.

WHEN THE TEAR GAS GOES IN, IT IS A MATTER OF MINUTES BEFORE THE BUILDING STARTS TO BURN. YOUR CHOICE.

So what if the murderer died? He killed himself anyway, when people started getting close and shooting back!! Really brave, wasn’t it?

The way I look at it, the victims families get immediate closure and I the taxpayer save money on a LONG 2 year EXPENSIVE trial (several, actually, since he commited crimes in multiple jurisdictions) and a 30-40 year wait on Death Row (plus APPEALS!!)at a cost of $200,000++ per year to incarcerate the b@stard… win-win…

No RIP for the craven coward… burn in H*ll…

Khun Joe on February 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM

This never would have happened if Dorner could just find a job.

In case you were wondering what would be said if we had a Republican President with 7.9% unemployment.

Wagthatdog on February 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM

David Koresh and Co., Gordon Kahl, Bill Cooper, the SLA, Randy Weaver, MOVE in Philadelphia-shoot at LEO or otherwise defy the government and you or yours will be shot, bombed and/or burned out.

Pretty simple message.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Indeed.

I so wish there were a real alternative.

Steveangell on February 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Use Bing. I do all the time now, won’t touch Google and their libturd ads.

cableguy615 on February 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Use this one, they will not track your searches or create any dossier on you.

ninjacoastie on February 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Use this one, they will not track your searches or create any dossier on you.

ninjacoastie on February 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Beat me to it. More info on Startpage:

Startpage offers you Web search results from Google in complete privacy!

When you search with Startpage, we remove all identifying information from your query and submit it anonymously to Google ourselves. We get the results and return them to you in total privacy.

Your IP address is never recorded, your visit is not logged, and no tracking cookies are placed on your browser. When it comes to protecting your privacy, Startpage runs the tightest ship on the Internet.

can_con on February 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Armchair general.

unclesmrgol on February 18, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Aren’t we all.

S. D. on February 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Still would have liked to see him frog-marched
and sentenced for that woman he murdered.

S. D. on February 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Not to belittle the others he killed, she stands out as a clear example of his indifference to others.

S. D. on February 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Dorner was fired in 2008. Why did he not file with EEOC, and NAACP? They are there to help people that has been discriminated against. He stewed for 4 years then decided to get even. He did not go after the lawyer that represented him. He went after his daughter and her boyfriend. They were murdered outright. The policemen that he decided to kill was not even in the area he came out of. They were no threat to him at all. He killed one of them and wounded the other.

When they found out where he was at, they did not go in full and it was not LAPD’s domain. It was the county sheriffs domain. It was a fire fight and another deputy was killed and another wounded. A shot was heard after tear gas was thrown in. Did he kill himself before they went in. In other words the place was not stormed. It did catch on fire. He was not going to be taken alive. The odds are it was suicide.

Portia on February 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Look, I’m as biased on this as is humanly possible, my father was a career cop from 1954 to 1975, he was shot at once, and had a suspect try to run him down, he dove in the front seat of his cruiser as the suspects car ripped the door off his car.

I remember the riots, the black panthers assassinating cops at traffic lights.. I remember wondering if Dad would make it home in the morning, and that is a lousy way to spend your single digit years. He finally passed away in 89,.. I’m still proud of his life.

I ended up an Air Force SP ground combat specialist, secondary duty was as a volunteer on the bases EST team.. our version of SWAT, so I’m familiar with the early incarnations of today’s tactics. My brother chose a career as a cop as well, though I did not, choosing a different profession out of financial reasons.

I watched this unfold through the eyes of those officers families.

And anyone who defends this freak, who morphed from disgruntled ex-employee to sadistic spree serial killer, there is NO justification for what he became, and looking for any excuse to blame it on racism, or any simplistic reason.. has my complete contempt. We many of us, have had set backs in life… mine, ours, was a corporate employer who after 17 years of loyal service, threw me under the bus and terminated me, because the medical services for my on the job multiple vertebrae fractures were “expensive”.. and a union which smirked and refused to help me, because they don’t help out spoken conservatives.. 4 years of loosing our home as my wife struggled to make enough, staying with family, then family of family, the abuse, the accusations of malingering, the threats against our children being thrown in the street, if we didn’t kow tow to their every demand for what little money my wife had.. “after” paying them rent..

finally, through the grace of God, we pulled out of that nightmare.. my SSD way approved on the first try, no attorney,.. and we left them behind us to hate on someone else,

and I never once considered bloody revenge against those who had placed us there, or verbally abused us during that time. I have put that behind us, only warning others to never trust them. I still believe in redemption, though I cannot forgive what they did, God would if they repent, and the judgement is his to make, not mine.

That b@stard was a sick sick sadistic sociopath which calls into question his credibility on everything he’s claimed..

but some are so quick to condemn the police, demanding a burden of proof they never will for that murdering thug.. they never stop to think, to consider that his pathology was his problem, not his employer.

People have valid reasons to question why the police do certain things.. this, is NOT one of them. It only taints the person taking up his cause with the same lack of humanity.

I’m sorry if this is TMI, but I wish to drive the point home, there is no excuse for what he did, none.. and all these protests do is make that excuse, billboard size.

mark81150 on February 19, 2013 at 12:18 AM

The shooting at the truck with the two women paper deliverers were by the LAPD. The second incident with the surfer was the Torrance PD.

BubbaCluck on February 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM