Democratic business owners in MN: Sheesh, these taxes sure do look troublesome

posted at 4:01 pm on February 16, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

As its neighbors look to cut and simplify tax systems to attract businesses to their states, Minnesota’s Gov. Mark Dayton has a different idea:

For generations, Minnesotans lived out the progressive argument that high taxes and high services were what gave the state its fabled quality of life. But the patience of business owners is being tried more than ever, as Dayton and the Democrats who now control the Capitol mull a menu of tax increases that would primarily hit company ledgers — just as most states are going the opposite way.

Dayton has proposed tax changes he says would make the system fairer and also bring in $2 billion in new revenue. Much of the gain would come from a state sales tax on “business-to-business” purchases like legal, accounting, banking and printing costs. Few states tax such services. He would also boost Minnesota’s personal income tax rates from eighth to fourth highest in the nation, behind only Hawaii, California and Oregon.

There are some business owners, even lifelong Democrats, who are feeling the pinch and wondering if it’s worth it:

Dik Bolger is a lifelong Minnesota Democrat, a gray-bearded baby boomer with a braid down his back whose Minneapolis printing company’s plant displays work by local artists and sculptors. He backed Mark Dayton for governor, but his take on the Democratic chief executive’s plan for new business taxes could be the voice-over for a Republican campaign commercial.

“We’re screwed,” Bolger said, if the tax goes through. His 79-year-old company competes nationwide and overseas for work with major brands like Chanel. “If you’re bidding for a $100,000 job on a national basis and tax expenses push you a couple of percent higher, then I’m not competitive.”

Some businesses may leave the state, and Wisconsin and South Dakota aren’t being shy about wooing them.

[Walker] had already put Wisconsin “Open for Business” billboards along Minnesota borders; he’s now pushing for a $340 million income tax cut.

South Dakota Gov. Dennis Daugaard’s administration has sponsored print and radio ads and direct mail directed at unhappy executives.

“Tired of Taxes? Call Me,” read the postcards.

I appreciate the AP doing this rare lifelong-Democrats-who-disagree-with-Democratic-policies story, so I wanted to highlight it. We hear quite a bit about “registered Republicans” who are wary of whatever cut, but this is a nice reminder that tax burdens are non-partisan in their effects, and sometimes those effects can be grave. Even though Bolger doesn’t vote Republican, he is a potential ally as he finds himself mugged by Minnesota’s tax reality. He says he won’t leave the state, but look what else he says:

“I’m a 58-year-old Minnesota boy. Wisconsin is probably not in my future,” Bolger said. “But I would have to shrink employees, decent middle class jobs. I thought that’s what this is about.”

There is one tax Dayton’s attempting to lower— the state sales tax. The plan does sound like it would broaden the base and lower the rate, but check out the system the state has been dealing with. It’s such a perfect example of how crony capitalism works to give us an irrational system that rewards whoever knew somebody writing the bill.

Dayton’s budget overhaul has taken blistering criticism from lawyers, public relations firms, accountants and IT firms that would have to charge sales tax on their fees if the budget is approved. But the governor’s plan would lower Brown’s state sales tax from 6.875 percent to 5.5 percent and help remedy a patchwork system that favors some businesses over others, often for no apparent reason.

Minnesota sales tax applies to pet grooming but not barber shops, dry cleaners but not coin-operated laundromats, and calls to 1-900 numbers but not dating services. Super Bowl tickets are exempt, but not hockey sticks.

“The lines have been drawn over the years, and they’ve been relatively arbitrary,” said Myron Frans, commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Revenue. “There’s some people that say the rationale is simply, it depends on who was in the room when the bill was written.”

Ya think?

Comments

On the issue of state d’s causing businesses to leave, it seems CO has made a gun business threaten to leave if they pass their anti-2nd? Keep it up d controlled states, not gonna have anyone left to fund you one of these days?

L

letget on February 16, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Does anyone remember that adage about sowing and reaping? I know I heard it somewhere.

Wino on February 16, 2013 at 4:06 PM

My sympathy meter is pegged at zero.

Kataklysmic on February 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM

That says it all, right there.

Wino on February 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Yep pretty much sucks living here right now.

gophergirl on February 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM

And they move yet keep their failed ideas and pollute another state.

MechanicalBill on February 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Feeling all this schadenfreude, makes me think, “Hey, where’s schadenfreude?” :-)

SoRight on February 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Not enough. It has to hurt a lot more before a Leftie gives up his pew seat in the Church of the State.

It’s situations like these where the GOP likes to put out the Democrat fires, ameliorating the damage through exemptions or rebates. Which, in turn, allows the Democrats to enact further anti-market measures, piling up the Statist Stupidity until it all comes crashing down.

That has to end. The public shouldn’t be protected from the full measure of their choice. This tax environment is what the voters requested either through action or inaction.

They have sown the wind, and they must reap the whirlwind.

chimney sweep on February 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I ran across a similar story here but it certainly bears repeating.

Drained Brain on February 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Dare I say, “you get what you voted for.”

We’re screwed,” Bolger said, if the tax goes through.

What you mean “we” Kemosabe?

He might have to cut corners, but his former employees are out pounding the streets.

decent middle class jobs. I thought that’s what this is about.”

Just the problem. You didn’t think, just voted anyway.

IrishEyes on February 16, 2013 at 4:18 PM

F’em.

Midas on February 16, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Schadenfreude. I don’t feel sorry for these moonbats. They believe the government is the answer to all our needs and problems. They just loved hearing how those eeeeevil rich people would be robbed to bankroll free stuff. They ate it up.

What they didn’t figure is that the government thinks anyone who has a job or owns a business is considered “rich” and can be taxed to death to fund the goodies, all while more and more immoral debt is being run up.

Punk’d yourself, loser. Time to pay the piper.

Philly on February 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Exactly what services do Minnesotans receive that make high taxes acceptable? All I expect from my government are good roads and police. Otherwise I don’t want or need anything from government.

Government doesn’t do jack for the average, self-sufficient, middle class American and shouldn’t.

Charlemagne on February 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Exactly what services do Minnesotans receive that make high taxes acceptable?

Charlemagne on February 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Not a damn thing as far as I’m concerned.

gophergirl on February 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM

chimney sweep on February 16, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Agreed and that’s why I support taxes equivalent to our profligate spending. Until people are finally forced to pay for all the government they demand we conservatives will never win the spending argument.

Liberals must feel the pain of their stupidity.

Charlemagne on February 16, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Breaking out the world’s smallest violin. Now fiddling.

Del Dolemonte on February 16, 2013 at 4:27 PM

This is the SECOND article on this, or really the second posting, because I think it’s the same “article.”

Really, for some of these people they liked “progressive taxation” because OTHER people were being taxed….

OTHER people were paying their fair share, and so were they (in their mind(s)). NOW, that Other People’s Money has run out, Dayton & Co. have focused on THEM! Suddenly, their “fair share” isn’t such a great phrase, because it impacts their bottom-line.

1-900- number operators (Sexy Lutefiske Galz) were happy with the progressive taxation and wonderful “services”, UNTIL they had to pony up some long-green, suddenly government is an oppressive burden.

JFKY on February 16, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Just for the record: Oregon does have a very high income tax. But Oregon doesn’t have a sales tax. The overall tax burden is not exceptional.

Steven Den Beste on February 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Big Gov at it’s best…

RalphyBoy on February 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Business owners are looking at this all wrong and need to be re-educated.

What they are here for is to provide jobs and benefits to workers they are exploiting. Profit is evil and can only come from ripping off those losers of lifes’ lottery.

Once these Minnesota idjits that voted for these Communist Democrats realize this the better.

Dang, they sho are stoopid.

PappyD61 on February 16, 2013 at 4:36 PM

My feelings.

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM

……and isn’t Dayton the one that was going after having unionized childcare?

WAIT, JUST WAIT America until the STATE/FEDGOV get hold of the kids when they are 6 weeks old and have them for the first 18 years of their lives to correctly grow the new revolutionaries.

We are surely witnessing the natural pull of mankind to treat those that are “ruled over” with tyranny.

All hail, our overlords.

PappyD61 on February 16, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Let us all break out the violins for a refraining musical interlude in the key of D Minor for all those poor sappy Obama voters now suffering reality!

How about The Volga Boatmen, just for them–all those ‘heroes’?

Pffft!

Liam on February 16, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Where are the tolls to defend themselves?

Oh, wait! the thread isn’t about guns, and the idea of justifying harm against others isn’t something liberals like doing in public. Liberals prefer their shit done in the smokey back rooms of seedy bars.

Liam on February 16, 2013 at 4:48 PM

“Tired of Taxes? Call Me,” read the postcards.

Makes me proud to be from South Dakota.

Wethal on February 16, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Wino on February 16, 2013 at 4:06 PM

You made your bed and shared it with a dog, then lie in it and get fleas.

/something like that

Paul-Cincy on February 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM

You made your bed and shared it with a dog, then lie in it and get fleas.

/something like that

Paul-Cincy on February 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Liberals are always, “Hey! What I voted for wasn’t about coming down on me!”

Liam on February 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Liberals are always, “Hey! What I voted for wasn’t about coming down on me!”

Liam on February 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I love that as a corollary to “It’s all about me”, or as they say, “the personal is political”. The corollary is “the rules shouldn’t apply to me, because I’m special”. Or more crudely, “my s*** doesn’t stink”. Or, “I thought being politically correct meant people would let me be me. You’re messing up my feng shui. No one should have their feng shui messed with”.

Paul-Cincy on February 16, 2013 at 5:00 PM

South Dakota and Wisconsin should be careful who they invite to their states. There’s a lot of tax refugees here in Florida. They love the weather. They love the business environment. They love the fact that there’s no state income tax. They love to vote for Democrats.

Curtiss on February 16, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Paul-Cincy on February 16, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Obama is going to be the greatest surprise to liberals. We are predictable, and dismissed.

But what they thought and expected, and will never get from him, is going to be a total shock to them.

Liam on February 16, 2013 at 5:04 PM

“I wanted universal health care for everyone for free. But now I have to pay for it? Since when?”

–common liberal.

Liam on February 16, 2013 at 5:08 PM

A fool and his money are soon parted. Suck it, buddy. It was never about middle class jobs.

msupertas on February 16, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Welcome to California, Minnesotans.We will tax you more and you will like it.If you decide to leave for another state we will still tax you.

jeffinsjvca on February 16, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Just thought of something…The way to keep trolls from our threads is to start threads liberals can’t defend.

Liam on February 16, 2013 at 5:18 PM

To be a democrat today you either have to be a confirmed socialist or completely oblivious to what the democrats have become.

darwin on February 16, 2013 at 5:20 PM

…so when is Ed moving?

KOOLAID2 on February 16, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Sheesh, these taxes sure do look troublesome

Subheadline: MN Socialists Shocked That They are Expected to Pay along with the “Rich.”

I have no sympathy for fools like Mr. Bolger. He runs a business and yet he supported Obama and his socialist agenda. But his business is not large enough to get exemptions and waivers like AARP, Facebook, and the Solyndra bundler. In short, Mr. Bolger didn’t give enough to Obama to escape the coming economic demands of the left. He’s a pioneer among the parasite class when it comes to feeling the full wrath of supporting the rat-eared wonder. I feel sorry for his employees but I hope he loses the family business as a result of his stupidity. And I really mean that. I hate all these bastards who made it possible that we have another four years of this insanity.

Happy Nomad on February 16, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Subheadline: MN Socialists Shocked That They are Expected to Pay At All
Happy Nomad on February 16, 2013 at 5:21 PM

More accuracy, if you please. :-)

Liam on February 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM

That says it all, right there.

Wino on February 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Gray hair and a ponytail is never a good look. At best it comes off as aging hippie. At best.

I’m on a committee for one of the organizations I support with a guy in his 60s who wears an earring. I think he does so because he believes it makes him “unconventional” among his peers. Or he thinks he is a pirate. Smart guy but he really comes off as pathetic loser.

Happy Nomad on February 16, 2013 at 5:28 PM

letget on February 16, 2013 at 4:06 PM

They’re not the least concerned. They figure “0bama’s gonna pay for it. From his stash”.

bofh on February 16, 2013 at 5:29 PM

This is a State that imported the dregs of world society in order to civilize them in the socialist wonderland of MN. The State is being pulled into racial, religious and criminal chaos. Believe me, reality is not the liberals strong hand.

pat on February 16, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Gray hair and a ponytail is never a good look.
Happy Nomad on February 16, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Braided ponytail in back but all hair gone forever on top.

I think I now need some brain bleach…

Liam on February 16, 2013 at 5:31 PM

From the home of franken, ellison, klobuchar and 10, 000 liberal loons…..elections have consequences and if you couldn’t figure it out by now, kiss your businesses good bye you morons. You voted for this piece of crap pie, now eat it….and by the way …thanks from me and my conservative family and friends that share this state with you and a word to the wise( if you can find a dem with wisdom)….quit voting for democrats…if you haven’t looked at their platform lately, maybe you should…besides all the tax stuff, they have lost their moral compass….if they can sign off on killing babies and the destruction of the family, what makes you think they care about you….trust me, I won’t be shopping at your business.

crosshugger on February 16, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I think Minnesota should keep Dik and his ponytail. He just doesn’t sound like Texas material.

trigon on February 16, 2013 at 5:35 PM

More accuracy, if you please. :-)

Liam on February 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Yeah, I know. I was trying to keep it real with a subheadline that conformed to that format.

Bolger and those other MN commies are shocked that all the increased taxes apply to them too. But you can’t really express the shock that they are included among “the little people” in a few short words. I’m guessing that Mr. Bolger is not spending this weekend on a golf outing in Florida with Tiger Woods former coach while his wife and kids are in Aspen- also on a “free” vacation.

Those of us with more common sense really need to figure out a way to give these people assistance as they begin to understand just how stupid they have been. I honestly can’t take the lead on this because at this point I hate people like Mr. Bolger too much for supporting this rat-eared bastard in the first place. I can’t forgive them any more than I can go to God and pray for our President.

Happy Nomad on February 16, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Liberals are always, “Hey! What I voted for wasn’t about coming down on me!”

Liam on February 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM

…my wife is doing her intense seasonal gig right now at H & R block…and things are not pretty!…most common reaction she gets is “WHAT…!!!“… from the ‘working people’!…even the ‘moochers are not happy with their “refunds” they never put into the system!…the State has been screwing with all of their “Federal credits”!…wait another year or two!

KOOLAID2 on February 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM

trigon on February 16, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Oh! I don’t know about that. I suspect that Dallas or Austin would embrace him.

Happy Nomad on February 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM

crosshugger on February 16, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Ditto

cajunpatriot on February 16, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Typical idealistic, daydreaming, dazzled-by-BS, lazy, clueless, loony Obama voter. To call them low-information is too easy; delusional is more apt. They should have known better, but they just lurrrved to hear Duh Won speak. They swooned and fainted.

Hope and change, hope and change, we’re all screwed. That’s what you voted for, Donks.

Philly on February 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Happy you put refunds in quotes. Few things grate on my nerves more than idiots who think getting money back from the IRS is a good thing (unless we get interest on top of the “refund”). One of the things that does is moochers who pay nothing into the system and still get a “refund” because they breed mini-moochers or something.

Happy Nomad on February 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Happy Nomad on February 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I only go close enough to Dallas to hit the Costco in Rockwall. And, I stay out of Austin entirely.

trigon on February 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I don’t know about you, but I’m enjoying the laments of the Left with this. It’s about time they paid for once, in cash.

Liam on February 16, 2013 at 5:45 PM

trigon on February 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM

My employer is based in Fort Worth. From my trips there, it is clear that Texans are mostly “my kind of people” but I could never live in the cities of Dallas, Austin, or Houston. You all have done a good job of coralling your liberals. ;0

Happy Nomad on February 16, 2013 at 6:04 PM

trigon on February 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM

The libs are still herded in Travis Co…Williamson Co. to north gave Mitt 60+% of their vote…

hillsoftx on February 16, 2013 at 6:26 PM

People voted for this failure. They must want it.

Greek Fire on February 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Scream it from the roof top Dik, I am a brain-dead asleep at the wheel idiot!

elifino on February 16, 2013 at 6:34 PM

None of this makes sense.

I thought that ever since the days when we elected Jesse Ventura governor we were known as the Brainpower State.

Go figure.

Bruno Strozek on February 16, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Minnesota is so cold I cannot imagine who would want to live there anyway

redguy on February 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Weren’t Conservatives told by the Exalted Won that we “should get to the back of the bus and drink our Slurppys”, or something of that nature? And that the donks would take care of ‘getting us out of the ditch’?

Well….drive on, byatches! Drive on! (Oh. And mind that cliff on your left. Ummm-kay?)

Solaratov on February 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM

trigon on February 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I know it might be hard to give up Costco, but that company contributed HEAVILY to the dems. Good ole Sam’s contributed to the other side. I haven’t been back to Costco. I wish I had saved the link to share.

jazzuscounty on February 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I’d love to see Tort reform in the state. Currently if you are involved w/ a POSSIBLE insurance claim against a company the case can be left open for 7 years before the statute of limitations expires. Even if no evidence of wrong doing is found by investigators.

For someone left on edge that means their insurance is inflated due to “loss run” files having been opened and remain so till either a claim is filed, suit brought or times runs out. This kills small business.

theblacksheepwasright on February 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Someone has to pay to support the Somalis in Minnesota

bw222 on February 16, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Considering North Dakota’s need for labor to work and serve the oil operations, they should put a statue of liberty on the entry routes from Minnesota and a billboard saying the famous invitation on the real Statue of Liberty.

KW64 on February 16, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Great, I suppose there will be a mass exodus where all these libs will take residence in states like Wyoming, Florida and Texas and bring all their stupid liberal ideas with them. If only states required litmus tests before they let these kooks in. There goes the neighborhood.

lea on February 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM

hahahaha, Dik, hahahahah. Yes, juvenile but still.. hahahahaha

skeedro on February 16, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Yeah, as someone else commented, Dik Bolger would bring his same idiot voting habits to whatever state he moves to next. In Virginia we’ve gotten masses of people moving Maryland, fleeing the ridiculous tax burden. I’ve talked to them, and they say, with a straight face, “Oh, Maryland is a mess, the taxes are so high, the schools are so bad. We finally just had to move to Virginia. Oh yes, we always vote Democrat.”

I know it’d never fly, but there ought to be some sort of entrance exam to get into those states that are still in the black. Because you know when California finally collapses, the same idiots that ruined that state are just going to carry their idiocy to all the surrounding states and spread the same failed policies with the same idiotic votes. Liberals by definition never learn from experience.

Zoomie on February 17, 2013 at 12:46 AM

It’s the mis reading the libs in charge in blue states took from the media celebration of Obama’s win in November.

I read an American Spectator article from December that said, that with the final count of the election President Obama did not have as many voters as last time, it also said that after the banked abstentee votes were counted more people voted republican for president than in 2008. http://spectator.org/archives/2012/12/03/romney-beats-mccain And yet the media went on and on, with even republicans joining in because they were told on election eve that Romney couldn’t even get as many votes as McCain and that conservatism was being repudiated. Of course we will argue that point all day.

In MA, where I live Gov. Duval Patrick, a proto type for Obama, who pioneered the Yes We Can themesong with David Axelrod, wanted to believe…of course the state went the usual breakdown 60-40 for Obama. He was feeling the Power, and proposed raising our income tax to 6.5% when we voted by referendum here to have a 5% tax, and to undo a lot of the Romney era cost savings that have kept his first term on an even keel.

I am sure in MN things looked the same. But the real people, they don’t seem to be as enthusiastic, do they? Raising the FICA was about all anyone could take.

Fleuries on February 17, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Guess what, Bolger, even if you do ‘shrink your employees’, what a kind and caring way of saying you’re fired’, you’ll still be supporting them thru unemployment, MCaid, food stamps and all the other kind and caring means you libs have approved of down thru the years that make all your taxes so high today. Learn it, live it, love it. PS, don’t come to Montana either.

Kissmygrits on February 17, 2013 at 8:12 AM

But I thought that liberals love high taxes. Isn’t that supposed to bring us closer to utopia or something?

CTpatriot on February 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Funny isn’t it that these principled businessmen supported the Democrats and their higher taxes as long as it was someone else who was getting the shaft. Hypocritical SOB fits pretty well as a label for this group.

Nomas on February 18, 2013 at 7:31 AM