Video: In which I get ill with Juan Williams over accusation that I don’t care about victims of gun violence

posted at 12:41 pm on February 15, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

I don’t usually post video of myself, but this got a lot of reaction this morning. I imagine my visceral annoyance speaks for a lot of people being accused of not caring about children who die at the hands of murderers just because we happen to disagree with President Obama’s preferred federal remedies for said murders (most of which have already been implemented and failed spectacularly).

Juan and I are friends, and as I say at the end of the clip, we will make it up later. But please notice that I do not impugn Juan’s motives. I would have appreciated the same consideration. I have no doubt that he cares deeply about those affected by gun violence, but I think he puts far too much emphasis on the emotional catharsis of passing a law to “fix” a problem, which then doesn’t fix the problem. If one supports a remedy, such as the Assault Weapons Ban, which has already demonstrably failed to prevent mass shootings on a national level (Columbine) and a state level (Newtown), and yet wants to implement that failed policy again, isn’t that effectively just as bad as not caring about the problem? If one supports stricter gun laws, which have demonstrably failed in places like Chicago and Washington, D.C., while ignoring the deeper social problems that cause gang-related shootings and Newtown-like single shooters, isn’t that effectively just as bad as not giving a damn? Ignoring these failures and repeating failed policies arguably goes beyond indifference into a form of criminal negligence, no matter how well-meaning.

I’ve already been accused of racism online for sticking up for gun owners and wanting to address deeper issues that might actually curb gun violence, so let me add this. One, it’s racist and ignorant to assume there are no minorities among the legal gun owners I’m defending. Two, I think there are deeper social issues at play in both gang war and single shooters, who are almost exclusively white and suburban/rural, and reference both problems in this clip, so no I’m not blaming gun violence on cities or minorities. And, finally, strict gun laws in Chicago often prevent people like Otis McDonald, a 76-year-old black South Side resident, from protecting themselves. I would like Mr. McDonald and 70-year-old Detroit basketball coach Ernest Robinson, and others like them to have that right— not be held hostage by the bad intentions of armed criminals and the failed good intentions of their liberal lawmakers.

Yet I’m the one accused of not caring for having the audacity to point out that law-abiding people shouldn’t be punished for criminals’ crimes and asking a federal law to actually produce something other than the moral superiority of its supporters. The conversation wasn’t even really about gun control. It was about being able to disagree with liberal policies or point out their inefficacy, without being smeared as a heartless racist. (Juan didn’t go there with the racism, just the heartlessness, and I appreciate at least that, although my Twitter feed is full of it.) Juan himself has faced the exact same bullying when he strays from the liberal line on issues like school choice, on which we agree. It’s unfair and unhelpful, and dare I say it, uncaring.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

They keep you and Juan in separate video squares for a reason!

Chuck Schick on February 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I don’t know how you do it MKH. I would just bust out and start screaming at that fool.

VegasRick on February 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I am all for full weapon ban, as long as it includes police, Hollywood bodyguards, and Secret Service, and excludes hunting equipment.

Archivarix on February 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

You need to pick better friends Mary.

Dack Thrombosis on February 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Mary, your opening statement that you and Juan are “friends”
is the crux of the problem, IMO.

You take friendship to mean something he does not.

You are traveling down a ONE WAY street, IMO

ToddPA on February 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Juan and I are friends

how can you possibly be friends with such a creep…

Sachiko on February 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I mean, seriously, who doesn’t want to hug it out with HAM.

Fozzy Bear on February 15, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Listen here, KKKonservatives, Chicago is a crime-ridden cesspool because guns and high-cap mags CAUSE people to shoot one another. I myself have found myself walking past gun stores and suddenly felt the need to slaughter everyone in the nearest McDonalds.

Bishop on February 15, 2013 at 12:47 PM

The liberals have been posting raw gun violence statistics on Facebook, but fail to point out how many of those homicides by guns were preventing or defending against criminals.

John the Libertarian on February 15, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I’d like to see, just on a very rare occasion, a leftist make an argument that does not rely on a strawman or non sequitur. Is that even possible?

besser tot als rot on February 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Thank you MKH for putting Juan in his place.

SmallGovtGuy on February 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Dude! Dudette!

BobMbx on February 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Juan Williams is an a$$. Never makes a point without attacking his opponents.

jawkneemusic on February 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

As always, you are well reasoned, smart and correct.
Juan, not so much.

zap-johnson on February 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

You go, girl!!!

TXUS on February 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Hang in there, MKH.

You are a lot better than those who try to knock you down a notch or two. That’s all they got. They can’t win on the substanceof their arguments…so….but you know that.

As for Juan and all those faux-concerned-about-violence types, well, can they show me just once, just once, where a criminal or idiot or psycho has stopped in their tracks, dumbstruck, because it just dawned on them that it is against the law to shoot up a shopping mall, college campus or elementary school, and they might get arrested afterwards?

coldwarrior on February 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Obviously the only way Juan’s theory works in actuality is zero guns. I wonder what he thinks of that likelihood?

Cindy Munford on February 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Mary Katharine!!! It does get old having to combat the failed thinking of leftists. Doesn’t it? I know I grow tired of it, and I don’t even have to go on tv! Love ya! Nice job! ; )

Bmore on February 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Congratulations Mary, You have gotten under their skin.

The more sense you make, their idiotic agenda is exposed.

Juan Williams has gone over the top, he will soon go over to MSNBC.

BTW, don’t expect to be treated the same courteous way you treat others, especially by the leftists.

Philo Beddoe on February 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Your first mistake is being friends with a totalitarian leftist that would turn you in to the fuhrer like a good German if he were directed to do so.

SirGawain on February 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Mary, your opening statement that you and Juan are “friends”
is the crux of the problem, IMO.

You take friendship to mean something he does not.

You are traveling down a ONE WAY street, IMO

ToddPA on February 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

+100

sharrukin on February 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Typical liberal argument SOP… Good smack back Mary…

RalphyBoy on February 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Liberals have nothing else to their arguments besides, “You don’t care because *insert reason here, heartlessness, racism, too rich, etc*,” MKH. I’m sorry Juan let loose with that tired, specious garbage, but you aren’t the first to be hit with that form of argument by him and probably won’t be the last.

I have to admire you for your patience. It’s getting much more difficult to remain friendly with the progressives I know.

BTW: Huge suburban Detroit fan here. Thanks for all you do to advance the cause of the non-liberals of the US.

totherightofthem on February 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

You make sense MKH.

I did like the idea that Virginia is doing a fast and Furious on DC and presumably Chicago though. And I agree – it’s those gun runners posing as soccer Moms.

Just remember people. That mini van you just passed may be qwll full of 8 year olds, but it’s also loaded with crates of AK47s.

CorporatePiggy on February 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Juan Williams…………..

UGH!!!
UGH!!!
UGH!!!
UGH!!!
UGH!!!

PappyD61 on February 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Logic means nothing to liberals. It’s all about feelings. Everything is an emotional argument to them, there is no rational debate. And I’m not generalizing. It is what it is.

The sooner conservatives understand how they operate, the sooner we can win the culture war.

ButterflyDragon on February 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Juan and I are friends…

Friends do not force friends to disarm themselves and be slaughtered by criminals who refuse to disarm.

Juan does not have your back.

He is not a friend.

coldwarrior on February 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM

That’s the Left’s standard fall back position for pretty much everything. We don’t support what they do because we just don’t care. We didn’t care about the sick during the Obamacare debate, we didn’t care about the elderly during the Social Security thing, etc.

changer1701 on February 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM

besser tot als rot on February 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

No, it isn’t. Strawmen/non-sequiturs are the only way for them to make their arguments seem even remotely logical.

Bitter Clinger on February 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Some animals are more equal than others MKH. And the unequal ones should understand their place and not make trouble for their betters.

They care after all.

They care and that’s what really matters.

Gatsu on February 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Thought I might should clarify my above comment. In a strictly brother, sister, sort of way, Mary Katharine. ; )

Bmore on February 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

With the “single shooters” yes…”gangs” no…lots of blacks and other hues.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Liberals’ motives are always pure in their eyes, and their ‘solutions’ to problems don’t require a history of being effective. Just because something didn’t work last time doesn’t mean it won’t this time; all failed liberal policies are because Republicans fought them, or they weren’t strict enough, or not enough money was spent.

Those who oppose them have suspect motives, they are some form of evil. There is no possible other explanation to liberals, for they have decided themselves versus their opponents, and find them obviously (to a liberal) lacking.

You have more patience than I do, Mary Katherine. I end friendships with liberals, and have terminated two dating relationships with women for being liberals. Never have I regretted that or looked back.

I’d offer a hat tip, but I can’t bring myself to it this time around.

Liam on February 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I don’t even listen to the voices of these professional liars at this point.

I’ll read the transcript, but listen to them…..NOPE.

I’m done wasting my time. And if audio gets played on TV, internet, radio I will turn it off before I listen to them. Part of the reason is I just can’t stand getting whipped by them in the Jihad Media anymore. Other than a couple of Conservatives there is NO ONE in elected office that apparently wants to stand up against the Progressive filth trying to destroy/transform our culture and government.

PappyD61 on February 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Fox has become as stupid as CNN.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I’d find it hard to stay friends who says to my face things like I want to get them killed or I’m a racist. Sure they might blog that crap about Conservatives in general but they single out me in a conversation with such garbage – goodbye, Friend in Name Only.

Ukiah on February 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Okay, conservative pundits, please repeat this until you can remember it on your own: Juan Williams neither likes nor respects you. The mere fact that he was the victim of a backlash by his own side does not mean that he is on your side. Stop acting surprised when he acts like an a$$; it makes you look bad.

cynccook on February 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM

He’s playing it for shock value and ratings. Next time laugh, call him a child murderer and throw a pie in his face.

Seth Halpern on February 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Great job pointing out that the guns supposedly “flowing into” DC from VA don’t seem to be causing high crime rates in VA and maybe there are some larger social problems at work in the inner cities.

I honestly expected him to accuse you of racism at that point. At least he had some restraint.

Missy on February 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM

With the “single shooters” yes…”gangs” no…lots of blacks and other hues.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

That was the point I was making— that single shooters are white, as opposed to gang shootings, which involve many minorities. Sorry that wasn’t clear.

Mary Katharine Ham on February 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM

THIS is my man right here.

Ted Cruz comes out swinging
By: Manu Raju
February 14, 2013 08:34 PM EST

Sen. Ted Cruz lost his voice a couple days ago.

Some senators probably wish it wouldn’t come back — at least for a little while.

In six short weeks since he became the junior Texas GOP senator, the no-nonsense freshman has quickly become a lightning rod — on issues ranging from guns to Chuck Hagel’s nomination for defense secretary — upending the Senate’s conventional ways, in which freshmen typically work quietly to build bridges with their colleagues.

(Also on POLITICO: Ted Cruz wants to be GOP’s answer man)

Cruz’s sharp-elbowed Senate style underscores the dilemma facing Republicans as they seek a way out of the political wilderness: Rising stars like Cruz, a tea party favorite, are winning elections and GOP primaries. But their no-compromise, firebrand styles could turn off voters eager to see the two parties start making deals.

“I think he’s got unlimited potential,” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said of Cruz. “But the one thing I will say to any new senator — you’re going to be respected if you can throw a punch but you also have to prove you can do a deal.

Just this week, Cruz was rebuked by senior senators like Republican John McCain and Democrat Bill Nelson for what they considered an unfair line of questioning allegedly impugning Hagel’s patriotism. He previously ignored requests from Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin (D-Mich.) to refrain from using video clips to question Hagel during his confirmation proceedings. Many were stunned when Cruz was one of just three senators to vote against John Kerry’s nomination as secretary of state.

(PHOTOS: Republicans on how to fix the GOP)

Behind closed doors, some Republican senators report that Cruz, in his stone-cold serious prosecutorial style, speaks at length when it’s far more common for freshmen to wait before asserting themselves — particularly ones who were just sworn in.

And the Texas tea partier was quick to annoy one of the most powerful Senate Democrats, Chuck Schumer, after he engaged in a combative line of questioning with the New Yorker on a recent Sunday talk show, even though senators from opposing parties are typically far more collegial in those settings.

As he’s talked up in conservative circles as a possible 2016 presidential candidate, some Hill Republicans believe Cruz has much to learn if he wants to have a successful Senate career.

“It’s becoming a trend when you’re a new arrival,” lamented one Senate Republican who asked not to be named. “They don’t get to know the Senate or the other senators; they just start talking. And that takes away from [Cruz’s] ability to be an influential legislator.”

Another GOP senator reported that fellow Republicans were already getting “annoyed” by Cruz’s antics.

PappyD61 on February 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM

cynccook on February 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM

You’re as condescending as a liberal. I’ll handle my own business, thanks.

Mary Katharine Ham on February 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM

With friends like Juan you’ll never need enemies.

Fox also hired communist Kucinich.

That morning ‘pretty’ is hyper-drugged and full of fluff. The station has gone to Hades. No need to watch any of it any more.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Juan Williams worries more about what his friends at NPR think of him, than being honest with you MKH.

portlandon on February 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM

What MKH went thru with Juan is standard operating procedure
for Leftists. AKA, the Democrat Party.

Everyone should read the Bishop post on Minn thread.
He relates to a Confab of people with Dem leaders present
to “discuss” gun issues. The Dems give their thoughts, but
when 2 men who support gun rights get up to speak, the
Dem office holders get up, and walk out.

THEY REFUSE TO EVEN HEAR WHAT WE HAVE TO SAY.

These people CANNOT be reasoned with, they HAVE TO DEFEATED.

ToddPA on February 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Cannot, will not watch Juan. He constantly talks over anyone else talking and one cannot hear either person. But I notice all liberals employ this tactic.

dragondrop on February 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

portlandon on February 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM

PS: His intellectual dishonesty, after you schooled him on Chicago’s murder/gun rates was on display for all to see.

portlandon on February 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

My favorite part of the clip is the guy in the middle. It’s like he’s trying to remember what he’s supposed to pick up at the grocery store after the show.

JeremiahJohnson on February 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

More like generational homocide. Liberals like Juan Williams don’t like dwelling on facts about just how much gun violence is the result of gang activity in inner city neighborhoods. Much of it black-on-black violence that requires a heck of a lot more than laws about trigger locks and mental health screening.

Guns are a big part of gang culture. And as Wayne LaPierre said yesterday, these thugs are not going to stand in line to get a background check and dutifully register their firearms in a universal database. It is virtually impossible to have a civil discussion about guns with liberals because they don’t want to solve any sort of problem, they want to confiscate, ban, restrict and tax the “problem.” And what they won’t admit, even at a DC cocktail party, is that as horrific the Sandy Hook shooting was they can walk just a few blocks over to find the real problem. And the problem isn’t solved by harrassing and criminalizing law-abiding citizens. But to speak truth aloud makes you a racist.

Happy Nomad on February 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM

You are traveling down a ONE WAY street, IMO

ToddPA on February 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Up to you, MKH, whether you want to keep going down this street.

I used to think Juan was fair. Of late, he seems much more inclined to resort to precisely the sort of “argument” that he thought was responsible for getting him fired from NPR!

One of the symptoms of liberalism is the default inclination to resort to this sort of ad hominem.

EastofEden on February 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM

My friends don’t consider me a heartless goon…

d1carter on February 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Great job MKH! But I honestly don’t understand this “he’s my friend” crap. First of all, Juan Williams has always seemed like a jerk to me. But more importantly, how can you (people in general) be friends with those who actively try to deprive you of your liberty, be it with respect to the 2nd Amend or any other right?

MPan on February 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Juan’s response wasn’t just insulting, it was downright stupid. So what exactly is he saying? Is Juan implying that the residents of D.C. are too uncivilized and immature to live next to a state where people responsibly exercise their constitutional rights? Sounds like that to me.

Juan’s vacuous response doesn’t sound much different than if my neighbor told me to get rid of my guns because his incorrigible children might steal them and kill their own family.

RadClown on February 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM

The left is losing ‘the gun control and confiscation battle’.

The latest trend is to now, somehow, claim that anyone against siezing all guns is ‘RACIST’!

Look for this meme to be played out again and again by the left over their next few DESPERATE weeks.

PS: This entire debacle of ‘demanding new gun controls (and in some cases gun confiscation)’ has already guaranteed that the Democrats will NOT retake the house in 2014.

Freddy on February 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I’ll handle my own business, thanks.

Mary Katharine Ham on February 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Now, now, good one…good cynccook was not condescending. She was just telling the truth. If you’d wished to “handle won bus” you’d have left it at Fox.

Yes, you can call me “condescending” too…when in fact it’s just a reality check.

Juan is a supposed “good guy”…and yes, he is often a nice dunce…then, just when one thinks “Oh, he wrote a good book, told the blacks the blatant truth…etc” he comes out supporting every idiocy, just because Obama promotes it.

You’re a talented great dame, who sometimes wants it both ways.

My nom doesn’t care what you call it. I happen to have always liked you, with the capacity to also tell the truth, wherever it falls. It hurts sometimes, but it makes all of us stronger.

You’ve made me smile and smirk, quite often, and will continue to do so, no matter the immediate emotional reaction/s.

cynccook is a very discerning and smart lawyer/lady, who sees/calls them as they appear.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Oh Gawd MKH,Lol,you blew Juans bow clean off,
with that torpedo run,haha!!!

canopfor on February 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

John Allen Muhammad
Lee Boyd Malvo
Chris Dorner

Mitoch55 on February 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM

ButterflyDragon on February 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Indeed. I’ll take it a step further.

Lefties view themselves as “good” people. Therefore, what they advocate must therefore also be “good.” Following that, anyone that opposes what they advocate, for whatever reason, must therefore be “bad.” So, conservatives are “bad people.”

It makes no difference if Lefty policies actually work or not. Good intentions (and satisfying their ego) are all that matters. When the failures of their policies are pointed out it must be dismissed…the emotional carnage of admitting they hurt our most vulnerable citizens is too much to bear. So, they smear their opponents as “bad people” to remind themselves that they are “good.” And it goes full circle.

visions on February 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM

portlandon on February 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Indeed…a perfect comeback would be “look at the man who survived Afghanistan and was just killed in Chicago”.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM

We need to recognize that people like Juan have psychological issues that prevent them from rational thinking on the subject of violence.

Here is a useful take on the roles of denial, projection, and reaction formation in the irrational, highly emotional behavior of the gun-haters.

We need to be aware of these issues because it is a waste of time to approach these folks with rational arguments. Their thought processes are irrational and immune to rational argument.

novaculus on February 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM

MKH, you admitted to two serious mistakes right from the beginning.

The second was:

Juan and I are friends…

And the first:

I don’t usually post video of myself…

You are more than welcome to correct both.

Archivarix on February 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM

If you’d wished to “handle won own bus” you’d have left it at Fox.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM

You’re as condescending as a liberal. I’ll handle my own business, thanks.

Mary Katharine Ham on February 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Hey, don’t take it out on me because your ‘friend’ insulted and treated you disrespectfully on tv. Everything you said was completely accurate and people like Juan Williams (i.e. liberals) will never, ever see that because they only see the Constitution as either a)a tool to help them get what they want or b)an obstacle that will prevent them from getting what they want. It has no intrinsic value to them.

cynccook on February 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I don’t remember, which color was that Korean guy who made the shooting massacre in Virginia Tech?

Archivarix on February 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM

John Allen Muhammad
Lee Boyd Malvo
Chris Dorner

Mitoch55 on February 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Sorry but the DC Snipers, Chris Dorner, and the Nidal Hassan are really more terrorists than “shooters.” Their acts and the motives behind them are far different than what occurred at Sandy Hook, Aurora, Tucson, or Blacksburg.

Happy Nomad on February 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Fox is losing viewers by lurching to the left.

sauldalinsky on February 15, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Reminds me of the quote by Henry Cabot Lodge,

“Isn’t there something we can appear to be doing?”

That’s what it’s about, who gets the medal for caring the most. It’s certainly not about the kids and I think the most remarkable thing about this exchange is that – friend or not – you didn’t slap the everloving crap out of Juan for daring to suggest that you don’t care (as much as he does, apparently). Next time, you don’t have to be so nice (tounge in cheek).

By the way, as you say, no piece of legislation that has been discussed would have had any effect on the shooting in Newtown. None. Period. So, I must conclude that it’s for show.

IndieDogg on February 15, 2013 at 1:13 PM

MPan on February 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM

That’s not quite fair. I have many wonderful friends that also happen to be liberals. I’m supposed to no longer be friends with some of the funniest, caring and loving people I know because we disagree on the politics of how we get to a desired end result?

Granted, they have never told me I don’t care about them or their children. They’ve never accused me of being a racist.

I despise liberalism, but I also understand it’s a disorder. (I’m not joking) And I know one day my beloved friends and family that believe in liberalism will see the light. You can only chase unicorns for so long.

ButterflyDragon on February 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I don’t have any friends who would accuse me of such things, basically because I don’t want to be friends with people who would accuse me of such things.

Not understanding the “I’m actually friends with a strident dude who will walk all over me and accuse me of heinous things to score a political point”.

Eh, what do I know, I’m just an anonymous flyover hick.

Bishop on February 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Bishop on February 15, 2013 at 12:47 PM

You sure that wasn’t the transfats, Bishop?

GWB on February 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Very well said, Mary Katharine.

HAMMER TIME!

ITguy on February 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Juan, supports not only the party, but the victim’s R us games of the left which has no intention of curing inner city poverty,crime, or the culture that causes it.
Why would they ever mess with their own guaranteed default votes, at least until they get those borders open and an even larger replacement voting base?
How do you say “victim” in Spanish?

Don L on February 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I liked the approach, it was different. We can keep spouting the obvious over and over again and it does not good, being offended for disparaging our motives is long overdue. Juan’s words conjured up a vision of a man in need of a security detail in a town so completely lawless that the police are useless. I’m not sure that’s what he was going for.

Cindy Munford on February 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM

The most dangerous kind of liberal is a friendly liberal. Watch your back MKH. History is replete with examples of your friendly neighbor very quickly turning on you (e.g. Germany and Yugoslavia). Never trust a smiling liberal.

Carnac on February 15, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Were I Mister Katherine Ham, I would not want to be on the receiving end of that look in the screencap.

CurtZHP on February 15, 2013 at 1:17 PM

ButterflyDragon on February 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Quit saying this, all thinking types. The leftists don’t ever believe in the true sense of the world “liberalism”. Otherwise they’d always be on the side of freedom and liberty, which they are not. They are the opposite. They are also not “progressive”. They stole the terms liberal and progressive.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2013 at 1:17 PM

visions on February 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM

This^

novaculus on February 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM

and That^

ButterflyDragon on February 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Eh, what do I know, I’m just an anonymous flyover hick.

Bishop on February 15, 2013 at 1:15 PM

You also don’t get paid polemic bucks. Fox is no different than CNN. It’s a reality the R/Cs have a hard time internalizing.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM

It’s not so much emotional catharsis, as it is opportunity based on emotion.

rrpjr on February 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I’ve already been accused of racism online

Just like anyone else that isn’t a left wing crazy.

When, it’s the left wing crazies that are the most intolerant people anywhere. Disagree with one, and watch what happens.

Moesart on February 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Liberals’ motives are always pure in their eyes,

Yup, and that Judas fellow was just trying to make an honest buck….

Don L on February 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM

One of things I expect from friends is that they not make asinine accusations when I present them with facts.

RadClown on February 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Juan enjoys being smacked around by beautiful dominant women like MKH and MM.

meci on February 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Sometimes I think Juan just wants to throw out emotional bombs to get people upset – wonder if he really believes that stuff he says. Throwing out those types of verbal bombs is typical of libs, in that they just want to lump everything together and make believe one size will fit all. It hurts their brains when they are presented with facts.

Fact – the law abiding citizens in Chicago & DC have no way to protect themselves & the criminals understand this. Why is there a lack of gun violence in Fredricksburg, VA, Norfolk Va, Va Bch, VA, etc compared to what is happening in DC?

poppieseeds on February 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM

“Friend”

That word does not mean the same thing to Juan Williams that it means to you, MKH.

Solaratov on February 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM

We sound like a bunch of liberals.

Juan was out of hand and MK let him know it, and I think by the end, Juan knew it too. He is wrong on almost ALL the issues, but I don’t think this makes him a terrible human being unworthy of befriending.

Folks, if I start thinking that, I’m just like them.

Don’t be like them.

Grace_is_sufficient on February 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I think Juan owes MKH a public apology. I’m sick of liberals getting away with this kind of inflammatory rhetoric with impunity. There is no excuse for his rotten behavior.

ghostwriter on February 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I guess Juan didn’t get Biden’s memo. Nothing the Dems are proposing will stem gun violence.

Slade73 on February 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM

He is a liberal. That’s all anyone needs to know and the only explanation.

You are a good woman, MKH, but these aren’t good people and trying to be a decent person, giving the benefit of the doubt and being civilized is a wasted effort.

We have seen these people do stupid, narcissistic, selfish, destructive things bowing either to the God of Instant Gratification or their egos/feelings. They have dumbed down society to the level where people would rather talk about Honey Boo Boo than what their representatives are stealing from them and their next 10 generations.

The sooner we all come to this conclusion and deal with the issue rather than trying to deal with them we might start pushing back on the destruction they’re causing.

kim roy on February 15, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Just imagine what would happen to crime if every time someone attempted a crime in Chicago or Detroit or DC they were shot in the face. Let that idea sink in for a little bit.

It’s absolutely silly, bordering on evil, to not allow us citizens to do just that.

jdpaz on February 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Here’s the bottom line for me:

Every year we have thousands of “senseless” and “preventable” deaths from automobiles but we tolerate them. We tolerate those deaths because the need for having automobiles outweighs the risks of injury or deaths and we are willing to suffer that. This does NOT mean that we “don’t care” about people who were in automobile accidents and were killed or injured. Many of our own family members and friends have suffered this, but we carry on. Of course, a national 5 MPH speed limit would cut those accidents to almost zero and maybe if they “saved just one life” someone could try to justify that but it would render cars ineffective, the 5MPH speed limit would only be effective for people who abide by the law, and most people would end up ignoring it and we would still have accidents and deaths anyway.

The advantage to having an armed population greatly outweighs the risks. The vast majority of deaths do not come from the law abiding, they come from the people who are ignoring current regulations and would continue ignoring any additional regulation.

crosspatch on February 15, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Juan and I are friends

What is this? And who cares? Let me translate: “Juan, I have to trash you to keep up my cred with my people, but I really don’t mean it”

So many on our side find it necessary to throw in the “he’s my friend stuff” before puttting someone in their place. Mark Levin gets down right indignate about his “friend”, that idiot Bekel on the Five. Hey conservatives, I don’t care if the guy comes over every day and cleans your toilet with a toothbrush. If he’s a dishonest dirtbag, just say it.

Alabama Infidel on February 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM

poppieseeds on February 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I think that he believes it. He makes those emotional appeals, because he doesn’t know how to argue for his position from a rational point of of view. His passion far exceeds his capacity for reason.

ghostwriter on February 15, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on February 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Williams is always wrong, always gets schooled, and yet keeps coming back day after day to accuse people, including his friends, of being uncaring monsters but we’re supposed to wear a happy face and forgive?

Even a dog, nature’s most forgiving creature, will eventually give up and unfriend you if he’s kicked around enough.

Bishop on February 15, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Juan is more honest than Colin Powell.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2013 at 1:28 PM

We sound like a bunch of liberals.

Folks, if I start thinking that, I’m just like them.

Don’t be like them.

Grace_is_sufficient on February 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Nonsense. You have to understand the enemy in order to defeat them. And yes, I used the word enemy. These people are destroying the country. They are doing it insidiously.

And yes, if that’s the way he is with MKH and he can’t control himself then perhaps **HE** isn’t a worthy friend. Do you keep toxic and damaging people around you?

kim roy on February 15, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Bishop on February 15, 2013 at 12:47 PM

You were probably drinking a sugary soda in a 32-ounce styrofoam cup, weren’t you?

And munching a salty pretzel?

Yep. You’re a poor, innocent victim, all right. Whatever you do is NOT your fault.

:-)

Solaratov on February 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I know. Make murder illegal.

Nemesis of Jihad on February 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM

So. The crime rates in Chicago and DC are high, and Williams blames it solely on guns coming to those areas FROM places where the crime rate is significantly lower.

Said another way, it’s not the folks committing the crime that needs addressing, but rather the tool they use to commit the crime.

This is like the Muslim men that want their women all covered up and locked away because THEY can’t control themselves around women.
And, it’s the womens fault.
Juan would further put women behind walls, while MKH is offering the men some saltpeter.

Juan is crazy. Just plain crazy.

Jabberwock on February 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Juan is more honest than Colin Powell.

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2013 at 1:28 PM

That’s damning with faint praise, indeed.

Solaratov on February 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM