Video: In which I get ill with Juan Williams over accusation that I don’t care about victims of gun violence

posted at 12:41 pm on February 15, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

I don’t usually post video of myself, but this got a lot of reaction this morning. I imagine my visceral annoyance speaks for a lot of people being accused of not caring about children who die at the hands of murderers just because we happen to disagree with President Obama’s preferred federal remedies for said murders (most of which have already been implemented and failed spectacularly).

Juan and I are friends, and as I say at the end of the clip, we will make it up later. But please notice that I do not impugn Juan’s motives. I would have appreciated the same consideration. I have no doubt that he cares deeply about those affected by gun violence, but I think he puts far too much emphasis on the emotional catharsis of passing a law to “fix” a problem, which then doesn’t fix the problem. If one supports a remedy, such as the Assault Weapons Ban, which has already demonstrably failed to prevent mass shootings on a national level (Columbine) and a state level (Newtown), and yet wants to implement that failed policy again, isn’t that effectively just as bad as not caring about the problem? If one supports stricter gun laws, which have demonstrably failed in places like Chicago and Washington, D.C., while ignoring the deeper social problems that cause gang-related shootings and Newtown-like single shooters, isn’t that effectively just as bad as not giving a damn? Ignoring these failures and repeating failed policies arguably goes beyond indifference into a form of criminal negligence, no matter how well-meaning.

I’ve already been accused of racism online for sticking up for gun owners and wanting to address deeper issues that might actually curb gun violence, so let me add this. One, it’s racist and ignorant to assume there are no minorities among the legal gun owners I’m defending. Two, I think there are deeper social issues at play in both gang war and single shooters, who are almost exclusively white and suburban/rural, and reference both problems in this clip, so no I’m not blaming gun violence on cities or minorities. And, finally, strict gun laws in Chicago often prevent people like Otis McDonald, a 76-year-old black South Side resident, from protecting themselves. I would like Mr. McDonald and 70-year-old Detroit basketball coach Ernest Robinson, and others like them to have that right— not be held hostage by the bad intentions of armed criminals and the failed good intentions of their liberal lawmakers.

Yet I’m the one accused of not caring for having the audacity to point out that law-abiding people shouldn’t be punished for criminals’ crimes and asking a federal law to actually produce something other than the moral superiority of its supporters. The conversation wasn’t even really about gun control. It was about being able to disagree with liberal policies or point out their inefficacy, without being smeared as a heartless racist. (Juan didn’t go there with the racism, just the heartlessness, and I appreciate at least that, although my Twitter feed is full of it.) Juan himself has faced the exact same bullying when he strays from the liberal line on issues like school choice, on which we agree. It’s unfair and unhelpful, and dare I say it, uncaring.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

kim roy on February 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM

kim roy, there’s a whole lot of daylight between “liberalism is destructive to society” and “liberals are bent on your destruction”.

If YOU can’t see that, no one can help you, and you’re destined to rot your heart out seeing evil everywhere you go.

I actually feel sorry for you now. You’re on the path to becoming one bitter person.

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 7:20 AM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 15, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Indeed, from Dan Rather, Alan “Combover” and voter fraud to the Death Camps, there is no in-between.

Good gravy, are you for real?!?!?

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Good gravy, are you for real?!?!?

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Of course there is an in-between you ninny. That’s the whole point. It’s where the road is leading, and what has happened every time these people get the power they so desperately crave. We know from history that these ‘deluded but nice folks‘ aren’t so nice when they get that power. Their ‘friends’ and neighbors discover who they really are and discover that their rabid hostility when their ideology is challenged was their real face.

You seem to have some cartoon villain in mind when you think of historical evil.

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 8:01 AM

The real problem we face from people like Juan Williams is not their concern for children. We are all concerned.

The REAL problem is that he and others like him have been conditioned to offer Leninist “Cures for Capitalism” as remedies for every societal issue, be it real or imagined, that makes front page news.

And the ones who can make certain it becomes front page news are the very politicians and WorldProgs that will benefit most from new restrictions on personal freedoms and manditory compliance with governmental mandates.

ROCnPhilly on February 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I guess my earlier post was moderated. The gist of it was that being someone’s friend doesn’t necessarily mean they are yours, even if they sometimes act like it, and reiteration of other posters pointing out the blatant hypocrisy of the sunfish.

S. D. on February 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Juan couldn’t even make nice with Jim Gray, FOX sports analyst, last night. He kept trying to make the point that we all adore and make heroes out of athletes because they are so much better than we are or something. Gray looked annoyed while trying to ‘splain that we should only admire people like Tiger, or Jordan for their athletic ability and not put them on some pedestal and want to be them for the flashy lives they live. The story was about Blade Runner who shot his girlfriend but morphed into a psyco babble rant about wanting to be famous.

Kissmygrits on February 16, 2013 at 9:38 AM

democrats despise and want to destroy republicans. they feel republicans are the source of this countries problems and must be silenced.

not surprised by juans dig. deep in his heart lies a hatred for what she stands for. smiley on the outside though.

renalin on February 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I remember how Orrin Hatch was close friends with Ted Kennedy. Never really understood that one, tho.

Seems like there are those in the left who are friendly with the right behind closed doors, where no one can see, and then in public they have no problem stabbing you in the back.

But see, the friendship Orrin Hatch had with Kennedy… I just could not be chummy with a guy who so seemed to passionate about destroying the nation. Killing the unborn. Leaving a girl to drown in a car he was driving while drunk.

There are standards.

JellyToast on February 16, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Did the bitter-bus end last night or is it coming around for another run? Just re-read the whole thread (head-shake/face-palm).

“The seed of suffering in you may be strong, but don’t wait until you have no more suffering before allowing yourself to be happy.” TNH

Mary Katherine, I really enjoy both your appearances on TV and your posts here (which you should chime in on the comments more often).

On a great Saturday morning, the real question should not be about impugning your motives, your “conservative spokesperson credentials”, or your ability to share friendships with those you differ from philosophically or politically.

No, the real question is Mary Katherine:

Fried?
Poached?
Scrambled?

I am guessing Sunny Side UP!

can_con on February 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Just show me once where taking away a Right reduced crime… one time. Even the gun ban that resulted from the SVTDM, giving us the 1934 National Fireams Act, didn’t stop crime, now gangs get full-autos from places that still sell them and they get here the same way illegals do, from criminal activity.

rgranger on February 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM

They need to get Candy Crowley as a moderator so MKH would lose big time.

And then CNN would defend the totally misleading Crowley.

Google it.

IlikedAUH2O on February 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Right. So, we give “these people” power, they put us in Death Camps. That’s what Apache implied and you didn’t correct him, but jumped all over me.

Yeah, I see where this is headed.

I’ve been on Hot Air for years, been away for three months. I see in my three months’ absence, this place has gone berserk. Huh.

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM

That is what happened in Germany.
That is what happened in Russia.
That is what happened in Cambodia.
That is what happened in Cuba.
That is what happened in China.
That is what happened in North Korea.
That is what happened in Vietnam.

The list goes on.

Whenever they get unrestricted power they use it, and the results are are usually piles of corpses. Many of those who helped paved the way to that end are horrified at what the result was, but that doesn’t change anything when all is said and done. In fact many of those folks end up being destroyed by the same political system they spent their life bringing into existence.

Go back to sleep Grace…It Can’t Happen Here.

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 11:23 AM

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Yeah, I see where this is headed.

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Post Election Stress Syndrome.

listens2glenn on February 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM

The list goes on…..

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Agree.

I have little doubt that you , I , and most others at this blog are on a list somewhere.

Remember the report, “Right-wing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment” ?

Define extreme. You (people in general ) don’t think they believe real conservatism is extreme? They tell us we are almost every day.

CW on February 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM

CW on February 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Yup. Extreme and any other ‘scary’ words you want to use are just code for those who won’t go along with their radical agenda.

Look at the leftist cheering section for the serial killer Dorner. They have no problem with killing people. Look at the ugly political attacks on conservatives who are viewed as a threat by them. They have no problem with smearing their opponents with whatever they can invent. Those who vote for them are perfectly comfortable with this behavior and yet we are supposed to believe that this doesn’t hold any meaning as far as who they are?

The part of annoys me is that the same folks who prattle on about how we should be kind and understanding towards the leftists are the same people who join the lynch mob when a conservative does or says anything that might be inappropriate, or is painted as such by the left.

They excuse leftists everything, and attempt to hold conservatives to an absurd communal standard.

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Juan Wiliams comes on the sound goes off. His over riding concern is to protect the bro in the White House. Everything else is secondary.

stormridercx4 on February 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Yeah, it’s not you. It’s everybody else that’s the problem huh. How dare we understand the history of the Good German? Just doin my job, said the SS officer. Didn’t really agree about the whole camps deal but just doin my job.

SirGawain on February 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

SirGawain on February 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

It’s that EVERYTHING is the Death Camps for the extreme on these threads. MK being friends with Juan Williams is like her befriending Adolf Hitler himself.

You people are the embodiment of Godwin’s Law. We need to be VIGILANT, not freakin’ hysterical. Sheesh….

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM

You don’t comprehend the Left, historically or contemporaneously. In our age, this is a condition more dangerous to freedom than all those conditions or paranoias you impute to others. Fortunately, more people are learning than are not.

rrpjr on February 16, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Post Election Stress Syndrome.

listens2glenn on February 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I had a thought similar to that.

22044 on February 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I do not even understand Mr. Williams’ broader positions. He was attacked for his book on the black leadership and was fired for stating a simple “fear” of boarding an airplane with passengers dressed in the custom of countries where the 9/11 terrorists originated. Mr. Williams never learns even when he is unfairly attacked. The saying that a conservative is a liberal who got mugged does not apply to Mr. Williams who seemly is so dense he doesn’t understand the modern progressive methodology even when he practices it. I have lost all respect for Mr. Williams.

It is sad and angers me that liberals/progressives, if nothing else from a constitutional perspective, can find abortion in the 14th Amendment’s privacy clause, but the 2nd’s “shall not infringe” statement is not specific enough. And it’s not about the children; it is about tyranny according to the Founders. If progressives don’t like the 2nd Amendment, then change it via the amendment process as we did with alcohol and the income tax. But if they really worry about the children, then enforce the laws making it a crime to attempt to purchase a firearm and lying on about information supplied for the FBI background check. And correct the mental health reporting aspect in the FBI background check computer system; a study of Indiana imprisoned murders showed 18% of those convicted of murder, not including those who committed suicide after the act or were deemed not able to stand trial, had records of mental health problems and many combined that with drug addiction as well. But no, progressives want to pass unconstitutional laws and then make us fight each one in court while they impose draconian measures to limit our freedom to fight tyranny, as the Founders intended, under the existing constitutional guarantees.

amr on February 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Can’t we all just play nice? And get a medal?

davidk on February 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Go back to sleep Grace…It Can’t Happen Here.

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 11:23 AM

No kidding. History is loaded with examples of one little step turning into a nightmare.

Must be a product of that vaunted liberal education.

kim roy on February 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Post Election Stress Syndrome.

listens2glenn on February 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I had a thought similar to that.

22044 on February 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I’m mostly with you on this – the “don’t be friends with them, they are your sworn enemies” attitude isn’t the right way to go, and is more likely to lead to Daily Kos- level derangement in the long run.

However, it’s not coming out of nowhere, and it’s not simply the disappointment over losing an election.

There is a tendency among a lot of conservatives to be rather shy about pushing back against people on the left when they pull crap like Juan did here. As a result, a lot of left-leaning people start to walk all over us. I see it happen with otherwise good people who have just internalized the idea that this is an ok way to treat their opponents.

In general, a lot of us need to push back a lot more than we have in the past, and we need to be in the habit of doing it forcefully, and in the moment – it’s sort of like training an animal, you can’t wait until later to explain to a liberal friend that they’re out of line. And sometimes, you have to do it with a certain amount of nastiness that most of us aren’t used to, so the liberal really feels what it’s like to be on the receiving end of this kind of hateful attack. Then, a real friend will get the message they’ve crossed a line, and if the friendship is worth salvaging, you’ll be able to do that.

I can’t stream the video so I can’t see MKH’s response, but I can imagine that it wasn’t aggressive enough for a lot of people here.

I want people to stay calm too, but the anger’s going to just bottle up and make us crazier and crazier unless we forcefully retrain our friends on the other side that these personal attacks are out of line.

RINO in Name Only on February 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 7:20 AM

What part of “abortion on demand” is not destructive? That’s the ultimate in destruction. Like wiping your nose and tossing away the Kleenex, right? Wait until they figure out genetic testing. They already do it with Down’s. Too hard, too difficult I’ve heard people say.

Just another example of what your liberal friends believe in. Go ahead – ask them if they’d abort that Down’s baby or drive their teen down to the clinic.

Wait. I’m sorry. Was that rude of me?

I’d rather be bitter than a clueless apologist.

kim roy on February 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Must be a product of that vaunted liberal education.

kim roy on February 16, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Just human nature I think.

People cannot fathom how their neighbors can turn into monsters. We hear it all the time when some serial killer is arrested and people tell us that “he was such a nice man“.

This book…

Tells the story of Reserve Police Battalion 101 who were demobilized after killing more than 38,000 Jews and they went back to being nice law abiding guys.

The killers aren’t who you might think they are.

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Just human nature I think.

This book…

The killers aren’t who you might think they are.

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I don’t think I could read that book, but some people definitely need to only for the reminder of what you say – anyone can turn given the appropriate or necessary motivator.

Does the book explain how these people rationalize their lives afterwards?

kim roy on February 16, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Does the book explain how these people rationalize their lives afterwards?

kim roy on February 16, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Yes. What bothered me the most was how they felt guilty for NOT killing Jews. They were upset that they didn’t have what it took to join their comrades in the firing squads and left it up to them to do the killing. They had no psychological problems afterwards. They were MORE law abiding than average. It was creepy how normal they were.

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I’d rather be bitter than a clueless apologist.

kim roy on February 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I’d rather not see Auschwitz guards hiding inside of every run-of-the-mill liberal. But if those kind of fantasies fulfill some kind of need in you, you just go for it.

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM

The kind of absolutism being expressed in these comments can really send one down the path of being an angry person who holds constant bitterness toward those around you. I don’t want to be that person. Some seem to think it’d make me a “better conservative.” It wouldn’t make me a better person.

Mary Katharine Ham on February 15, 2013 at 1:51 PM

If this gets me banned, then so be it, but that’s BS. Maybe we’ve had enough, like the battered woman who sets fire to her husband while he’s sleeping.

Maybe we’re just tired of being “better people”. We stand here, look around and see where it’s got us. Hideously in debt and a debauched and debased society.

Maybe it’s time for us to stop being “better people” and start taking back our society and our economy. If we have to be a little angry and rude, then maybe we have to be a little angry and rude.

Insinuating that we aren’t “better people” because we’re “an angry person who holds constant bitterness toward those around you” is an insult to those that have had enough.

You haven’t had enough yet? Okay. Glad you have so much patience. Don’t insult those of us who have run out.

kim roy on February 15, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Matthew 18

15 “If your brother or sister[b] sins,[c] go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’[d] 17 If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

18 “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be[e] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[f] loosed in heaven.

19 “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

Hmm, even Jesus said there’s a point when enough is enough. Time to grow a pair MKH?

Nutstuyu on February 16, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Then we will gladly watch as all your belongings and family are carted off by the “guards”.

Nutstuyu on February 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Whenever I see this wall-eyed blowhard, I simply lose count of the eyeblinks of Williams while he is listening to a question (looking like he’s about the blow up), and then while answering it.

He obviously knows he’s being confronted by the truth (fluttering eyeblinks) and then knows that he’s lying in his response (more fluttering eyeblinks).

I fully expect him at some point to be buoyed up by the rampant flutter of those eyelids, flying uncontrollably off the podium at some point.

avagreen on February 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Wait. I’m sorry. Was that rude of me?

I’d rather be bitter than a clueless apologist.

kim roy on February 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Heartedly agree!!! 50million souls murdered. God help us! God help us!

I have one precious granddaughter now age 12 that was almost a victim of abortion. Her mother (my dtr) thought better of it despite what your boyfriend wanted/said and called me. They lived with me for 20 mos after the baby’s birth. She’s the light of my life.

When I heard this song sang on the rural network by Tim Spears, I cried my eyes out.

avagreen on February 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM

avagreen on February 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I was the boyfriend in another situation just like that. Thankfully she didn’t listen to me and had a girl. When I saw her was the last day I supported abortion.

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM

God Bless You.

avagreen on February 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM

God Bless You.

avagreen on February 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Can’t really agree. If it had been up to me that little girl would have been snuffed out. When I saw her was when I realized the truth. Her mother wasn’t a good person, and was a poor mother, but the little girl grew up and turned out to be a decent women. That’s why I don’t buy the nonsense about how if they are unwanted that abortion is acceptable. Even if they come from a terrible situation they can turn out well.

But thank you for the thought.

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Can’t comment because of a missing piece:

Define “friend.”

Axe on February 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 6:45 PM

…..because you were man enough to admit your erroneous thinking instead of making excuses and getting defensive….because you were human enough to change your mind and have repudiated this horrible practice.

God needs warriors like you. So, may He bless you.

avagreen on February 16, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Mary Kathryn’s question about the difference between crime inside the beltway vs outside is one of two questions about DC Juan and other liberals will not answer. The other is why despite having one of the highest per pupil rates of spending on education the DC schools are such a disaster.

Nomas on February 16, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Nomas on February 16, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Juan would try but his eyeblinks would keep him from telling the truth. (see my post above—heh!)

avagreen on February 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Don’t know how you could be friends with someone like Juan.

He has to either be stupid or just incredibly naive to buy into this leftist hogwash.

LevinFan on February 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM

sharrukin on February 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM

My goodness. It’s funny what the mind can rationalize.

Thanks for the info and explanation. Maybe one day I’ll brave the book. :)

kim roy on February 16, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Chicago and DC have strong gun laws and high gun crime. They’d like to blame this on other jurisdictions which have more lax gun laws (and lower gun crime). What Juan and his ilk fail to acknowledge is that the other thing Chicago, DC and other places with tight gun laws have is a host of other social policies created by liberals. In the end, those policies– far more than the guns– account for the crime, poverty and violence. But they don’t want to change policies that foster dependency and irresponsible behavior– so they blame conservatives and guns.

morganfrost on February 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM

And remember that Ronald Reagan and Tip O’Neill would routinely share drinks.

John the Libertarian on February 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Histrionic B.S. there have been much written about the lie that Reagan and Tip O’Neil were friends.

Reagan, neither like nor trust Tip O’Neil as O’Neil made his feelings with regard toward Reagan public. Daniel Marans records the relationship thusly,

Reagan and O’Neill may have had drinks together on occasion, but they also denounced each other in terms that would make Obama and Boehner blush. O’Neill called Reagan “Herbert Hoover with a smile” and “a cheerleader for selfishness.” Reagan dubbed O’Neill “a round thing that gobbles up money.”

Those are far from the harshest comments one made of the other.

thmsmgnm on February 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get you. Just ask an Israeli.

I’d rather, as you so put it, “see them in every Liberal” than never see the ones that DO exist until they’re dragging me off to the train station. Apparently you have chosen to take the latter path.

And best of luck to you.

Dunedainn on February 17, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Your CONCERN is duly noted.

Dunedainn on February 17, 2013 at 1:28 AM

And best of luck to you.

Dunedainn on February 17, 2013 at 1:26 AM

We’re not Israelis, are we?

And I’m glad you admitted that you CHOOSE to see Auschwitz guards hiding behind garden-variety liberals. Good for you. You’re living out Godwin’s Law, just like the unhinged Kos Kiddies a few years ago when they called him “Bushitler”. We thought they were nuts. Don’t blame liberals when they think you’re nuts. I won’t.

(And no, I’m not a “concern troll”, or even a RINO, but an actual American conservative.)

Grace_is_sufficient on February 17, 2013 at 9:15 AM

RINO in Name Only on February 16, 2013 at 4:54 PM

You’ve made some fair points. Our patience with liberals should not be limitless. Folks are at different points as to what that measure is.
If you can watch the video somehow, I think you’ll see that MKH understands that.

22044 on February 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM

You really shouldn’t be surprised at this. It’s become the routine lefty lib line of attack if you disagree with policies they propose.

Don’t agree with Comrade O? — You must be a racist.
Don’t agree with gun grabbing — You must not care about “victims of gun violence”
Have a problem with “illegal” immigration and an open border? — You must be a racist.
Have some issues with SSM? — You must be a bigot.
Don’t want to cut defense spending? — You must be a neocon war monger.
Don’t think religious institutions should be forced to pay for free birth control? — You must be a misogynist who wants to enslave women.
Have a problem with entitlements? — You must want to push Granny off a cliff and force grandpa to eat dog food.
Think taxes are too high? — You must be a selfish greedy bastard.

And so on and so forth.

This is Soviet a style propaganda. They have no better arguments.

farsighted on February 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Juan and I are friends

You are far more tolerant than I would be.

I don’t call people who publicly insult me with vile charges and try to force me to defend myself to prove to them I’m not a monster “friends”.

farsighted on February 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM

used to think Juan Williams was a true liberal, apparently he really is a progressive in liberal clothing, instead of raising people up(giving them the ability to defend them self’s) he want to take away the right of people in Va to defend themselves. by the way no one is forces to live in DC or Chicago.

RonK on February 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I have yet to see a subject where Juan Williams has a clue. When he starts speaking he confirms my opinion and I change the channel.

TfromV on February 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM

We’re not Israelis, are we?

Grace_is_sufficient on February 17, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Yes, we are. We’re all Israelis. This is the point you’re missing.

rrpjr on February 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on February 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM

How come humility’s never a virtue for the ‘holier than us’ elitists, whether on our side or the left? Hotair’s been the same for years.

sauldalinsky on February 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM

sauldalinsky on February 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM

No. I never saw a blog writer attacked in such a manner for claiming a liberal as a personal friend. I’m glad MK jumped on a few pages back to defend herself. This is ridiculous.

(But oh, that’s right, we can’t be friends with liberals, ever. Because it’s not WHETHER liberals want to drag all their political opponents into concentration camps to be beaten, starved, and then gassed and incinerated…it’s just a matter of WHEN they’ll get around to it.)

Grace_is_sufficient on February 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Yes, we are. We’re all Israelis. This is the point you’re missing.

rrpjr on February 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I’m not missing the point. I disagree with your point. Imagine that.

Grace_is_sufficient on February 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on February 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Hotair has always been excellent at capturing the conservative zeitgeist, and reporting the mood from a conservative perspective. In fact, other than maybe Rush’s show, it’s the best there is at doing so.

What’s more likely…

1. Hotair’s the same as it ever was, whether you comment or not?
2. Hotair’s coincidentally changed in the exact timeframe that you took a break from commenting on it?

sauldalinsky on February 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I agree with you on this.

What’s more likely…

1. Hotair’s the same as it ever was, whether you comment or not?

sauldalinsky on February 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM

You know, it might well be a bit of both. Recent events and the nomination of Romney (moderate to liberal) which didn’t alter in any way the visceral attacks from the left, coupled with the total cowardice of the GOP have left a sour taste with a lot of people. I think those on the right may be getting a lot less tolerant of leftist tactics and the GOP compromisers who assist them. Romney’s failure made a lot of people realize that there is no compromising with the left and that the GOP strategy is willfully self-destructive.

Those like Grace are horrified that we are no longer willing to view the left so charitably, but there’s doesn’t seem to be any level of hysteria or hate, that will give the liberals pause. Ones like Kirsten Powers who do in fact question the lefts behavior are few and far between.

sharrukin on February 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM

You know, it might well be a bit of both.
sharrukin on February 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Possible. Conservative media types who buy into liberal memes of “caring” because of their personal friendship with liberal media types have always been challenged here. I bet you could do a search for “cocktail party Frum” in hotair archives and find a few hits from more than the last 3 months. That’s what happened to MKH here.

As Obama and liberals have been encroaching more on our freedoms, the grassroots has been more vigilant in defense. To give Grace the benefit of the doubt, maybe she hasn’t been paying attention so much for a few months. I hope she starts, we need as many people on our side as possible.

sauldalinsky on February 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Juan and I are friends …

What happens when you lay down with dogs?

Chalk it up as a life lesson.

DannoJyd on February 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Oh my! Where do you live that allows you to remain insulated from the typical liberal assault? Heck, I’ve LOST COUNT of the number of years since I was first labeled as a biggoted, racist, sexist homophobe.

I thought everyone understood that the flack increases when we hit our targets. Maybe it is just me along with my TEA Party Patriots who get it. The marvelous Michelle Malkin DEFINITELY understands it.

DannoJyd on February 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on February 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM

It’s not disagreement. As I said earlier, you don’t get the Left. Most everything you’ve said here suggests you don’t. It’s not shameful. Many on the Right don’t. Romney didn’t (but he had no excuse and should feel shame). Consider it a lacuna to be filled in. I grew up in the Left. Not the poncy Piers Morgan Left, but hardcore Marxists. The Left is always on a trajectory to totalitarianism. They almost can’t help it. It’s in their DNA. Who do you think is at the highest reachest of power in our government right now? The Hubert Humphrey liberals of Mitt Romney’s sepia conceits? Hardly. Leftists.

Have you heard of the manifesto “Prairie Fire”? It was written by Bill Ayers, Barack Obama’s buddy, in the 1970s.

This was the testimony of an undercover agent within The Weathermen, Ayers’ group:

“I asked, well, what’s going to happen to those people that we can’t re-educate; that are die-hard capitalists. And the reply was that they’d have to be eliminated. And when I pursued this further, they estimated that they would have to eliminate 25 million people in these re-education centers. And when I say eliminate, I mean kill. 25 million people.

I’ve personally heard highly educated Leftists — not street lunatics or anarchists — matter-of-factly discuss death as the proper due for the evils of the Capitalist system.

Pick up David Horowitz’s “Radical Son.” An elegantly written, incisive and fairly comprehensive primer on the Left from a former Leftist and one of the greatest living assets of conservatism today.

rrpjr on February 17, 2013 at 6:48 PM

And, because it bears repeating, we’re all Israelis now.

rrpjr on February 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM

And, because it bears repeating, we’re all Israelis now.

rrpjr on February 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I’m sorry, but this recovering dem-o-holic [30 years on the wagon now] must take issue with you. You see, I highly respect the Israelis because they do not give up. No matter how bad things get, they keep on fighting.

In America appx. 20% vote. Republican voters working at the grass roots leveldon’t even add up to 1% of the electorate Indeed, it has been reported that America has its head in the sand.

Also noteworthy is the LARGE AMOUNT of liberal voters that want to see Israel MURDERED. They blame Israel for their problems the same way they blame BOOOOSH.

We are all Israelis now? Nope. Not even close.

DannoJyd on February 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM

We are all Israelis now? Nope. Not even close.

DannoJyd on February 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM

He means in the sense of what the leftists have planned for the right.

Dunedainn on February 17, 2013 at 1:26 AM

We’re not Israelis, are we?

Grace_is_sufficient on February 17, 2013 at 9:15 AM

sharrukin on February 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM

sharrukin on February 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Thanks. That’s what I meant. And Dannojyd has a point.

rrpjr on February 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM

sharrukin on February 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Thanks. That’s what I meant. And Dannojyd has a point.

rrpjr on February 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM

My thanks to both of you, and I hope is that my comments make people FINALLY wake up.

DannoJyd on February 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I’m not happy with my comments picking on MKH, so I’ll balance those a bit now.

Push, push, push. That is what MKH has to do to deal with the liberal crotch critters she encounters every blessed day.

Push Push Push! Every time she gets involved in a discussion with ANY liberal she gets attacked, so she has to keep working to …

PUSH PUSH PUSH!!! That is what scares the underperforming 0bamaGanda liberal media types the most. She sets a fine example more republicans could, and should follow.

So, if you readers here wish to make a difference the time for collecting splinters is over. Your time has come to …

PUSH PUSH PUSH!

DannoJyd on February 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Why is Karl Rove still infecting my TV set?

Sherman1864 on February 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I’m probably the 300th person to say something like this, but I really don’t understand calling people who directly impugn your character as a cheap political shot on national television a “friend.” Friends don’t accuse friends of not caring about dead children because they won’t sign on lock stock and barrel with the latest Democrat Miracle Cure for Gun Violence. I don’t think Juan Williams goes to his lefty friends and says, “I am friends with Mary Katharine Ham.” He probably goes to his lefty friends and says, “Mary Katharine Ham doesn’t care about dead children.”

People who pull these phony political slanders need to be shunned. If a friend of mine did me like that, I’d call him up, remind him that there’s no possible way that he could have said what he said in good faith, and told him that until he made a public apology and retraction, that I would no longer associate with him.

dkmonroe on February 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Before this thread leaves the main page . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

MARY KATHARINE … you handled yourself very well, after that ‘insulting crack’.

As long as you want to consider Juan (or any other liberals) a friend, it’s no one else’s business.

God bless you, and keep up the good fight.

listens2glenn on February 18, 2013 at 12:35 AM

rrpjr on February 17, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Bill Ayers does not equal Juan Williams.

You are ironically fomenting the same black/white hyperpartisan, hysterical thinking that led to all the problems in the first place. Liberals now all want to destroy us, apparently. Not to change our minds, not to remake society to their specifications, but to destroy innocent men, women and children in the process. Not just crazies like Bill Ayers, who are known terrorists, but also folks like Juan Williams.

The German people accepted the slaughter of Jewish children and babies because they were told that, if Jewish children were allowed to grow up, their singular focus would be the destruction of the Germans.

Think about that.

Grace_is_sufficient on February 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Bill Ayers does not equal Juan Williams.

Grace_is_sufficient on February 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

In the end, the differences won’t matter.

Pick up Horowitz’s book.

Or Jamie Glazov’s.

rrpjr on February 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Why is Karl Rove still infecting my TV set?

Sherman1864 on February 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Because YOU did NOTHING to get him removed from the GOP.

DannoJyd on February 18, 2013 at 7:24 PM