Breaking: Hagel filibustered — barely; Update: Rand Paul getting hammered by Ron fans for voting no

posted at 5:21 pm on February 14, 2013 by Allahpundit

He was one vote short. Republicans Cochran, Collins, and Johanns had all already committed to voting yes so the only mystery was whether Reid could find two more GOPers to cross the aisle. He found one: As expected, Murkowski ended up erring on the side of bipartisanship. Orrin Hatch voted present, which may or may not be his way of signaling that he’ll vote for Hagel when they try this again in a few weeks but not right now. But wait — what about Rand Paul? If ever there was a SecDef nominee whom the Ron Paul paleocon fan base could sort of dig, it’s a guy known for lamenting the “Israel lobby” and opposing Iran sanctions. Result:

Philip Klein, tongue in cheek, calls him today’s neocon hero. Paul’s going to catch endless crap for this from his dad’s supporters so I assume he’s a soft “no” on Hagel, not a hard “no” like Ted Cruz, and will vote yes next time once Hagel/the White House fulfills whatever condition he’s set for switching. That would be in keeping with his M.O. lately in trying to triangulate between mainstream righties and Paulworld. He’ll vote for Hagel, but only after he’s voted against him. We’ll see.

Oh, speaking of conditions for voting yes, the White House finally got back to McCain and Graham about their questions on Benghazi. Turns out that no, Obama never once called Libya’s president on the night an American ambassador was being murdered at the consulate. It was Hillary who took the 3 a.m. phone call. But then, in fairness, Obama was busy that night: He had a campaign event in Vegas to get ready for the next day.

Almost forgot: The reason the vote was 58/40 instead of 59/39 is because Reid switched his vote at the last minute. Procedurally, he has to vote no in order to be eligible to ask for another vote in a week or two. And at the moment, there’s no reason to believe Hagel won’t finally clear cloture when that happens.

Update: As expected, Rand’s got some triangulatin’ to do:

That explanation wasn’t good enough for Justin Raimondo, editorial director of Antiwar.com and a strong supporter of Ron Paul. “It’s time for libertarians to treat Rand Paul like the turncoat he is: boycott,” Raimondo tweeted. “No $$, no support, & start calling him Paul the Lesser.”…

Scott McConnell, one of the [American Conservative]’s founding editors, went a step further: “If Rand Paul persists on going demagogic on Hagel, he will have established beyond any serious doubt that regardless of who his father is, he is Bill Kristol and Jennifer Rubin’s boy.”…

Guardian blogger Glenn Greenwald, a liberal who has been sympathetic to the Pauls, complained, “Any hope Rand Paul was going to usher in some sort of new foreign policy in the GOP has just been torpedoed by his NO vote on Hagel cloture.”

How can he atone? Goodwill visit to Iran, maybe?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’ve begun a personal campaign to purge the conservative movement of tongue-clicking scolds that try to guilt-trip the rest of us into adopting their ideals, candidates, methods, and/or attitudes.

RINO in Name Only on February 15, 2013 at 3:24 AM

Considering that you do so from the bench you continue to warm, how is that effort[?] working out for you?

Well, apparently not so well, but let’s see…

Do keep up the good work while I, the AWE inspiring Danno Mann goes to the MIGOP Convention as a CREDENTIALED Delegate to vote for the future leadership of the Michigan GOP.

How proud you must be today.

DannoJyd on February 15, 2013 at 3:44 AM

No, clearly this is going to take some time.

RINO in Name Only on February 15, 2013 at 4:00 AM

If they were just purely anti-war, and merely isolationist, there would be a kind of intellectual integrity to the Paul front on the budget…. but..

they throw in a visceral, scathing hatred for Israel and Jews.. as well as a intense hate for any person who doesn’t toe that Jooo bashing line.. add in a sprinkling of a twisted like for the Arab and Persian position as long as they kill more Jooos.. , their links to Stormfront and other white supremacist sites.. their Alex Jones fetish for insane conspiracies..

We’d all feel better if they simply walked away and took their ball home..

I’m sorry, is my contempt for Paul and his hardcore base showing? Like when Pat Buchanan walked, my only reaction is…

bye..

I’m sure there are neonazi parties they could join…

if it’s any consolation, I still don’t trust Rand, having that delusional crank for a dad has to scar you. The “hope” of the lunatic fringe they can hi-jack the GOP was never more than a pipe dream anyway, he didn’t win a primary..

all they do, is give the MSM fodder to prove how crazy we all are.

mark81150 on February 15, 2013 at 5:17 AM

mika calls the filibuster silly because it’s personal to the gop based on what mccain told fox news yesterday…

cmsinaz on February 15, 2013 at 7:02 AM

One reason I never liked Ron Paul was because he attracted so many anti-Semite and racist cranks. Of course, he’s an anti-Semite racist crank himself, so it figures.

As far as I’m concerned, the fact that Rand voted against cloture on an incompetent, IQ-challenged anti-Semite like Hagel is a point in his favor.

DRayRaven on February 15, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Why are the folks at Antiwar.com giving Rand a hard time? Shouldn’t they be out in front of the White House protesting Obama’s illegal military actions? Oh that’s right. They only mean it when there is a Republican in charge. Just like all the other “anti-war” posers out there.

HotAirian on February 15, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Will ever learn to stop jumping onto every tin horn political messiah that opens his mouth and sounds good?
What we need is what we tossed out decades ago:truth, character, moral integrity,honesty, self-sacrifice, patriotism(to our founding ideals), and dare I say it, God–the only source of all goodness and hope. Forget the white knights who change horses the minute you elect them.

Don L on February 15, 2013 at 9:05 AM

The word “filibuster” has been used synonymously with “blocking cloture” for years, by the vast majority of political observers. …

RINO in Name Only on February 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM

You did too use the term “blocking cloture.” And, I am sure happy to be discussing this with someone who knows “the vast majority of political observers.” Do you know any with university educations? Any from flyover country? I realize you would get the beltway group, dhimocrapts, and the MSM to agree with you. I would be interested in your definition of your term “for years.” Do you mean more than one? Ten? Fifty? or since you can’t remember what you wrote a 3 hours and 58 minutes earlier, I’m not sure of your time sense.

I do have to apologize to you though. I don’t think you are a librul. You just argue like one.

Old Country Boy on February 15, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Look at that headline in red and everything! Hagel is going to be the Sec. of Defense and his stupidity is our only chance that he doesn’t do much damage. But you can’t count on that since he is the puppet of Obama.

Cindy Munford on February 15, 2013 at 9:22 AM

How can he atone? Goodwill visit to Iran, maybe?

He could bash America on Iranian TV, ala Herr Doktor.

shinty on February 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I officially like Rand Paul now. I have always liked him, but had this fear that he may be just like his dad, except he is hiding the crazy side. This was good for him in that he is showing that is not crazy like his dad.

jeffn21 on February 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM

How can he atone?

Don’t know if Rand will be able to pull it off.

Will the pacifists, isolationists, anti-semites, and pot advocates be desperate enough to support Rand on the mere hope that he’ll emulate his Pop?

shinty on February 15, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I think Rand realizes that lots of his dad’s ideas are a little odd to say the least. He appears to have a better head on his shoulders for my tastes anyway.
Great Job Rand, keep up the good work.

SgtRed on February 15, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Looks like 2016 may be getting little bit closer. Might wind up being Marco vs.the fat basturd from NJ.Marco wins easy in that race.

rodguy911 on February 15, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I’m not getting this… Hagel showed himself to be idiotic and wildly incompetent with some crank ideas nobody supports (Iran “containment” for example).

Why would Ron Paul fans support a wildly incompetent idiot with some “out there” crank ideas having power?

Yes, I see it now that I’ve typed it out.
I just feel silly as it seems so obvious when I go back over that.

gekkobear on February 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM

jeffn21 on February 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM

me too

Burke on February 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Apparently the poor, little bluegill isn’t getting enough so it’s taken to quoting it’s own posts and responding to them.

You can’t make this stuff up, folks.

JannyMae on February 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I think we all like Rand, but I think we all have some questions of whether none of the crazy from dad rubbed off on him that he can’t reveal.

crrr6 on February 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

No room for voting against complete morons in the libertarian crowd? I thought libertarians appreciated rewarding merit and hard work and not rewarding idiocy and sloth. Hagel getting confirmed is no better than giving a lazy slob welfare.

besser tot als rot on February 14, 2013 at 11:27 PM

then let that lazy slob be Obama’s problem. Why do the Republicans have to waste political capital they don’t have by filibustering this guy? Wjhy do Republicans go bananas over the “Jewish Lobby” comments when Chuck Schumer doesn’t give a damn? When the Jewish Lobby he was most likely referencing doesn’t even give a damn? Why are Republicans even getting involved? Republicans are bailing Democrats out, they are being the useful idiots while feeding into the obstructionist narrative – there isn’t going to be anyone better.

And yes, Libertarians probably would prefer a sloth in government because he’ll do less.

To be honest, I really have no idea what this guy’s work ethic, only that Bush’s old crew personally hates him.

Daemonocracy on February 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM

You did too use the term “blocking cloture.”

Good Lord, your reading comprehension is bad. One more time:

I never said there was such thing as a blocking cloture. I said there was such a thing as blocking cloture. Yes, genius, it’s a verb.

The democrats were trying to end debate, via a procedure called “cloture”. The republicans prevented them from doing so. Are you upset that I said “blocking” instead of “preventing”?

RINO in Name Only on February 14, 2013 at 11:33 PM

RINO in Name Only on February 15, 2013 at 2:12 PM

^^^replying to:

Old Country Boy on February 15, 2013 at 9:12 AM

RINO in Name Only on February 15, 2013 at 2:15 PM

add in a sprinkling of a twisted like for the Arab and Persian position. . . .
mark81150 on February 15, 2013 at 5:17 AM

Persian position? Oh, you mean Iranian position. . . Persia hasn’t existed since 1935 :-P

cmsciulli on February 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM

No, clearly this is going to take some time.

RINO in Name Only on February 15, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Considering that it took me appx. 13 years to get to the point where I managed to get elected as delegate for my township and earn the trust of other county delegates so they would vote to send me to the MIGOP Conventions, I can certainly understand your position, yet I find that I should point out to you in the spirit of brotherhood that time alone will not correct the problems we are facing today.

What is needed is action, boots on the ground grass roots efforts to get the attention of those we wish to sway, educate, and assist in turning the country around.

Following is the best report ever submitted by Yahoo News:

Unyielding GOP politicians doing what voters ask

If not you, who?

DannoJyd on February 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Are the Paulistas too stupid to comprehend that there are MANY reasons to oppose Hagel, not just his anti-Semitism? Putting Israel aside (not that we should), Hagel would still be a disaster.

Colony14 on February 15, 2013 at 4:31 PM

So Rand isn’t a carbon copy of his dad. I’m glad to see he has that going for him. I don’t know if he can broaden his appeal or become an effective leader but he’s worth keeping an eye on.

MJBrutus on February 15, 2013 at 5:23 PM

What’s the big deal?
It’s not like he said he had a list of all the Mossad agents at State.

Another Drew on February 15, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Allah’s most important take away from the Hagel confirmation was that some unknown was upset with Senator Paul? Repubs constantly amaze me with their inability to focus

Tell me about it.

Puma for Life on February 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

The GOP should be the BOP- Ball-less Old Party.

Voting for Hagel is not only simply insane (since the guy is a gibbering incompetent- SEE: his laughable, nauseating, idiotic examination hearing), but a betrayal by such Republicans of all their supposed high principles and their oath of office to the defend the Constitution and this nation.

They prove themselves to be stupid, low-rent whores.

profitsbeard on February 16, 2013 at 1:39 AM

They prove themselves to be stupid, low-rent whores.

profitsbeard on February 16, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Consider the support they had in the last election cycle. Most voters were too busy gathering splinters to get involved in the races so all they saw were lethargic people who were too busy to get up and send ANY message to their candidate that they couldn’t deny, thus their responses are appropriate today.

What happens when the bosses go vacation? HMM!

Amerca ALWAYS gets the government it deserves.

DannoJyd on February 16, 2013 at 2:49 AM

No, clearly this is going to take some time.

RINO in Name Only on February 15, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Geez! Did I scare the RINO to the point that he/she has given up? SHEESH!

DannoJyd on February 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM